Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 01, 2012

OT: November College Football Thread.

Alabama Is still Ranked #1.  Will they hold steady to repeat? Make it to the title game?  Or does another team claim the Crystal ball in Miami in January.

Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: November 01, 2012 at 01:43 PM | 3408 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 34 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > 
   3301. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:15 PM (#4342301)
I think it's more than fair to assume something was up with Alabama that game.

OH! So, if I've got this straight:

BAMA giving up points to UGA's offense, evidence that BAMA didn't show up for that game or something.
UF giving up points to Louisville's offense, evidence that UF wasn't very good and was only ranked high because of SEC bias.

Is that the way that works?
   3302. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:20 PM (#4342306)
And in that game, Alabama, with the best rush defense in the nation, was getting gashed pretty good. I think it's more than fair to assume something was up with Alabama that game.

Eh, Alabama had issues with three different teams-LSU which had a far far far worst offense than Georgia and Texas A&M-did damage to Alabama's defense as well.

I am just not a fan of this sort of micro-analysis of teams like this. I think Georgia was a weird team anyway this year. They had lots of suspensions on defense early on. They lost 2 of their better WRs to ACL injuries. FEI, Sagarin, S&P all have Georgia as a top 10 team (Sagarin has them at 4th overall).
   3303. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:31 PM (#4342316)
Is there some reason, aside from the common misconception that I'm Bulldog fan and the general distaste that most around here seem to have agreeing with me on anything, that everyone here is so unwilling to acknowledge that UGA was one of the best programs in football last year?

Because the best team they beat was either UF or Nebraska. They got annihilated by USCe. Their second best win was 7-5 Ole Miss. They played Kentucky and Tennessee extremely close (5 and 7 point wins). They gave up 23 points to Buffalo and 20 to Florida Atlantic.

I think Georgia was pretty good this year, at least when they showed up, and they deserve to be ranked in the top 5 or so. But I understand the skepticism. Their resume for being a top ten team before bowl season is pretty thin, it basically boils down to two games, one of which they lost, and the other was one of the ugliest games of the year. Anytime your ranking is based on two games, it's going to be suspect.

People think top ten teams should have a bunch of quality wins and annihilate crappy teams. Thanks to scheduling (across the country, not just the SEC), the first part never happens any more, and thanks to increased parity and scholarship limits, it's hard for the first part to happen all that often.
   3304. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:32 PM (#4342317)
Alabama's defense was actually much better last year; which highlights how good their offense was in 2012..

Notre Dame is maybe a top 15 team. Maybe. All TV hype and no substance, and it's always good to see their fans (most of whom have never been within 400 miles of South Bend) get quieted down; particularly when they try and run out the old Catholics v. Cousins routine (with Miami, it was Catholics v. Convicts.).
   3305. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:36 PM (#4342322)
Is there some reason, aside from the common misconception that I'm Bulldog fan and the general distaste that most around here seem to have agreeing with me on anything, that everyone here is so unwilling to acknowledge that UGA was one of the best programs in football last year?

Yeah. They weren't. That's the reason.
   3306. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:38 PM (#4342327)
BAMA giving up points to UGA's offense

I didn't say that. Georgia was 43rd in rushing offense, solid, but not overly impressive. Alabama was giving up 77 yards rushing a game on 2.4 ypc coming into that game. Gurley proceeded to get 122 yards on 5.3 ypc. It's not off the charts crazy, but it's off enough from previous performances by Alabama and expected results that I think we can question if something was up.
   3307. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:44 PM (#4342334)
All TV hype and no substance

They did put a licking on some teams like a top 5 team should, they beat the Nunes-led Cardinal and looked pretty convincing in Norman. There was substance there. Maybe not enough to play for a MNC, but its not less than what 15+ other teams did this year.
   3308. spike Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:53 PM (#4342344)
Catholics v. Cousins routine

The one I heard was "Golden domes versus trailer homes"

edit - I take that back - the best was "Hey Rudy that Gump kid is kicking your ass!"
   3309. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:53 PM (#4342346)
Yeah. They weren't. That's the reason.

Your logic is impenatrable.
   3310. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 05:56 PM (#4342347)
UGA had a weird season, they were downright lethargic vs. Buffalo (much of the game), Kentucky, awful against So Car, mysteriously soft and sloppy versus Tennessee, and of course UF was kind of the typical, over the top emotional, high strung game it seems to always be. Then they lit up Vandy, Auburn, GT, manhandled Mizzou and Ga Southern. UGA did not look, to me anyway, as a top 3-4 team, though in retrospect, the same could be said for much of the 3-10 teams this season.

That leaves Bama and the bowl game against Nebraska, which are fresh in the mind. Woeful Nebraska and their D still managed to keep themselves into a 31-31 game into the 4th. AA's fumble during a likely scoring drive turned the tide on that game. UGA, talent wise is definitely top 3, but they sure weren't emphatic about it in their results.
   3311. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 06:10 PM (#4342362)
I think @3310 is a good summary of UGA's season. I also think there are only two programs who can say their end results from 2012 were notably better.
   3312. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 06:13 PM (#4342369)
Your logic is impenatrable.

You ask a stupid question, you get an answer like that.
   3313. Shredder Posted: January 08, 2013 at 07:39 PM (#4342426)
They did put a licking on some teams like a top 5 team should, they beat the Nunes-led Cardinal and looked pretty convincing in Norman. There was substance there. Maybe not enough to play for a MNC, but its not less than what 15+ other teams did this year.
They were in the weird position of not only facing MSU, Michigan, USC, and Oklahoma in less than stellar years, but also in the same year when they were all expected to be pretty good. That's four teams in the pre-season top 13, three of who ended up unranked (at least in one poll). It's one thing to get those schools in down years. It's another to get them in down years that by all accounts were not supposed to be down years. So ND got credit for playing a really tough schedule (and it's not their fault that it wasn't) when in actuality their schedule turned out to be pretty soft. Plus they got Stanford with their second best QB, and USC without Barkley (thanks to Anthony Barr).

ND went undefeated with a solid schedule, and they deserved to be playing in that game. But they pretty much got every break imaginable to do it.
   3314. Quaker Posted: January 08, 2013 at 08:26 PM (#4342448)
LOL @ 15 teams having anywhere near as good of a resume as Notre Dame. They went 12-1 against what Sagarin has as the 21st best schedule. Sagarin also has them as #5 in the country based on MoV.

But yes, it's all just TV hype. We live in the 60s and only Notre Dame has its games broadcast to a national audience. It's not like anyone who can afford cable+internet could watch literally every game played by every even semi-relevant team in the country.

3315. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 08:32 PM (#4342455)
Plus they got Stanford with their second best QB, and USC without Barkley (thanks to Anthony Barr).

I can't help but note that the mighty, mighty Irish barely scraped by against a USC squad that was dogwalked by Georgia friggin' Tech.
   3316. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 08:33 PM (#4342456)
They went 12-1 against what Sagarin has as the 21st best schedule. Sagarin also has them as #5 in the country based on MoV.

This would tell the rational observer to begin discounting Sagarin until they fix their methodology. It's like arguing that Romney is still leading at Unskewedpolls.com.
   3317. DA Baracus Posted: January 08, 2013 at 08:42 PM (#4342462)
They gave up 23 points to Buffalo and 20 to Florida Atlantic.

You can say this about a bunch of teams but are we really going to penalize a team for its backup QB throwing a pick six when up 56-14? And for the backups giving up a TD late in the 4th up 46-16?
   3318. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 08:48 PM (#4342467)
a USC squad that was dogwalked by Georgia friggin' Tech

Here you can get a quote from me about a team not showing up. USC might have lost to Georgia Southern they way they played that day.
   3319. DA Baracus Posted: January 08, 2013 at 08:55 PM (#4342472)
Here you can get a quote from me about a team not showing up. USC might have lost to Georgia Southern they way they played that day.

What about their other five losses?
   3320. cmd600 Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:05 PM (#4342475)
What about their other five losses?

I thought they looked pretty admirable against Stanford, Oregon, and almost coming back against UCLA. I'm not going to knock a team too much for losing to any of those four (include ND). I don't think they played particularly well against Arizona, and you should avoid getting into shootouts with Rich Rodriguez, but I don't think thats a bad loss by any means.
   3321. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:07 PM (#4342477)
You can say this about a bunch of teams but are we really going to penalize a team for its backup QB throwing a pick six when up 56-14? And for the backups giving up a TD late in the 4th up 46-16?

That's a strange argument to make in both cases, and your post is at least as deceptive, if not moreso, than mine. The score at half time in the Georgia-Buffalo game was 24-16. The score at half time in the FAU game was 28-14. The actual final scores are besides the point, those were not impressive performances, regardless of whether the final scores for the bottom of the barrel Sun Belt and MAC teams came after the game was well in hand.

Of course, it wouldn't really even be a talking point if Georgia hadn't gotten blown out by USCe, or gone on to play close games against Kentucky and Tennessee too. But since they did, yes, those performances are absolutely part of the reason why its reasonable for people to question Georgia's credentials as a top five team.
   3322. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:17 PM (#4342484)
That's a strange argument to make in both cases, and your post is at least as deceptive, if not moreso, than mine. The score at half time in the Georgia-Buffalo game was 24-16. The score at half time in the FAU game was 28-14. The actual final scores are besides the point, those were not impressive performances, regardless of whether the final scores for the bottom of the barrel Sun Belt and MAC teams came after the game was well in hand.

UGA had a problem early in games against lesser opponents because they did not come in trying terribly hard. By the second half of the second quarter of those games the coaches were yelling, the lather was worked up, and they coasted to easy wins.
   3323. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:28 PM (#4342491)
UGA had a problem early in games against lesser opponents because they did not come in trying terribly hard. By the second half of the second quarter of those games the coaches were yelling, the lather was worked up, and they coasted to easy wins.

Of course Georgia could kick the crap out of these teams if they were firing on all cylinders. But they didn't, and because of that, it reflects poorly when you are evaluating a bunch of 2 loss teams in the pecking order. I think Georgia is a top five team (as I noted in 3303) and I'm fine with them at 3 or 4 or whereever they are. But it's reasonable for other people to feel differently based on their performances over the course of the season against lesser teams. DA seemed to take issue with me suggesting that they performed poorly against those squads for whatever reason.
   3324. Mike Webber Posted: January 08, 2013 at 09:31 PM (#4342492)
9 Florida 11-2 933
10 Florida State 12-2 922
11 Clemson 11-2 889
12 Kansas State 11-2 871
13 Louisville 11-2 781

Is it a little crazy that Louisville ended up behind Florida?
Which of the Sam's is the Louisville fan? I can't think he likes this.
   3325. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:07 PM (#4342513)
Which of the Sam's is the Louisville fan?

Sam M = Louisville, Mets
Sam H = Georgia Tech, Braves
   3326. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:37 PM (#4342527)
It took a fumble on the UGA 20 with a minute left for them to beat UT.
   3327. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:38 PM (#4342528)
Good god that's hypocritical.
   3328. Brian White Posted: January 08, 2013 at 10:41 PM (#4342529)
There is little doubt that UGA should have been invited to the Sugar Bowl ahead of UF though.

Not when you consider their wildly different strength of schedules. Beating Vandy at home was Georgia's second most impressive win, whereas UF's trip up to Vandy was considered a breather from the much tougher games surrounding it.

Or, to put it another way, does UGa get to the SEC Championship game if they have to play the same SEC West slate UF did? I doubt it.
   3329. Mike Webber Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:30 PM (#4342548)
Or, to put it another way, does UGa get to the SEC Championship game if they have to play the same SEC West slate UF did? I doubt it.

Being a fan of the old Big 8, I think conferences with more than 10 teams are a farce. I think 16 teams is actually better than any number more than 10, and the 5 non-division games shouldn't count toward the division title.

Seriously, how many teams can you realistically follow/hate have rivalries with? KSU was in conference for 15 years with A&M and there was one important/interesting game between the two teams in football and none in basketball.
   3330. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:44 PM (#4342552)
Seriously, how many teams can you realistically follow/hate have rivalries with? KSU was in conference for 15 years with A&M and there was one important/interesting game between the two teams in football and none in basketball.

but how awesome is it to own Texas?
   3331. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:59 AM (#4342801)
Is it a little crazy that Louisville ended up behind Florida?

Here is how the polls work: sort on losses, with a secondary sort on "program prestige". So the ranking is natural, if crazy.

Being a fan of the old Big 8, I think conferences with more than 10 teams are a farce. Seriously, how many teams can you realistically follow/hate have rivalries with?

I agree. Well, I don't like bigger conferences but I'm not sure 12 teams is a farce. As a Big Ten fan, adding PSU and Nebraska to get to 12 was good. Adding Rutgers and Maryland jumped the shark. The expected future additions to go to 16 or 18 will destroy the conference ethos and likely lead to a conference split a few decades down the road. Which is a huge deal to a conference that has never had a member leave other than the one that de-emphasized sports (U Chicago). And that school remains in the academic consortium.

3332. Mike Webber Posted: January 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM (#4348644)
Manti Te' o's fake dead girlfriend

3142. Crispix Attacks Posted: January 07, 2013 at 11:06 PM (#4341556)
What I don't understand is people who hate Notre Dame as if they were some sort of perennial overdog.

Reason Number 1,350,688 why people hate Notre Dame.
   3333. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM (#4348712)
Does anyone believe that Te'o didn't know what was going on? I'm generally big on giving people the benefit of the doubt, but given all the things Te'o and his family said over the course of the situation, I find it to be clear revisionism to say that he never met her. I've seen quotes from his father saying she visited them for example:

Te’o’s father, Brian, was quoted in the article saying that, every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, when his son happened to be home, “so he would meet with her there.” He said they started as friends but had become a couple within the past year.

There's more to this story that has yet to surface.
   3334. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM (#4348721)
Well...this is just the weirdest ####### thing ever.
   3335. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 17, 2013 at 01:09 AM (#4348771)
One 'I believe Te'o' angle could be this: he had (thought) an online relationship with this 'woman', and was frankly embarrassed to admit he had an online girlfriend he never met, and sort of filled in some of the details with his own 'white lies,' to create the foundation of his 'girlfriend'. Of course until the hoax was revealed and whoops, now everybody will know. This seems consistent with his descriptions of her, he goes out of his way to talk about her in a non-physical sense.

I don't know what to make about this, but I'm certain it is complicated. In other words we can't just compare his lies and their lies and draw a clear conclusion. LIttle Bill would beat them all...bad.
   3336. The Yankee Clapper Posted: January 17, 2013 at 04:10 AM (#4348821)
There are certainly reasons to be skeptical, but some form of what is set forth in #3335 could have happened. Notre Dame says there was an investigative report, so I wonder if they'd go this far out on the limb without some evidence indicating Te'o was a hoax victim. Belatedly, there will be considerable media interest, and it seems likely Te'o's role will be clarified pretty soon.
   3337. Zach Posted: January 17, 2013 at 09:29 AM (#4348862)
The Te'o story sounds incredible, but then, all confidence scams look incredibly flimsy when viewed from the outside. They exploit people's emotions to create blind spots.

What I don't get is why you would do something like that. That question persists whether or not Te'o was in on it. If he was in on it, why would he go to such lengths for a prank? If he wasn't, that's got to be one of the sickest jokes ever played.

Having the girlfriend get in a car accident AND get leukaemia makes me wonder if the pranker wasn't coming up with increasingly elaborate reasons why the girl and Te'o couldn't meet. If Te'o was in on the prank, wouldn't a sudden car accident create enough pathos without the complications of the cancer angle? Plus, incorporating your own grandmother's death into an elaborate prank would be incredibly coldhearted.
   3338. Scott Lange Posted: January 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM (#4348928)
Is it possible they were getting money out of him? "I love you so much baby... I just wish I could afford the chemo to keep me alive so we could be together..." Then the scammers get cold feet and kill their creation off in September. Then they decide to see if they can somehow open the taps again by calling him with the revelation that she isn't dead in early December.

It also seems relevant that Te'o is apparently a devout Mormon. Mormons I have known tend to be both more generous and more trusting than the population at large. Throw in a lack of experience with romantic relationships, and he does shape up as "the perfect mark," as Notre Dame's AD called him.
   3339. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM (#4348949)
It also seems relevant that Te'o is apparently a devout Mormon. Mormons I have known tend to be both more generous and more trusting than the population at large. Throw in a lack of experience with romantic relationships, and he does shape up as "the perfect mark," as Notre Dame's AD called him.

This was Pat Forde's rationale for believing Te'o, pretty much exactly.

Forde also sharply criticized Deadspin for its conclusion that Te'o was likely involved, which seemed more than a little petulant considering all the incredible work Deadspin did to break the story in the first place.
   3340. Zach Posted: January 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM (#4348981)
Forde also sharply criticized Deadspin for its conclusion that Te'o was likely involved, which seemed more than a little petulant considering all the incredible work Deadspin did to break the story in the first place.

I agree that the work Deadspin did was incredible, but Te'o being involved or not completely changes the complexion of the story. If Te'o had been making inspirational speeches and going on national television based on something he knew to be a lie, that would have a pretty negative reflection on his character.
   3341. Scott Lange Posted: January 17, 2013 at 01:01 PM (#4349103)

Its clear that T'eo has been telling plenty of lies to the media and the public. Its a lot less clear that he was "in on it," as opposed to telling white lies to make the whole thing seem normal. Deadspin went with a quote from "a friend of" the alleged perpetrator saying he was 80% sure T'eo was in on it. Seems pretty thin. I mean, what's the upside? What would T'eo stand to gain from inventing this situation, compared to what he would stand to lose if/when it was discovered?
   3342. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 17, 2013 at 01:13 PM (#4349121)
Fairly interesting piece from a Notre Dame student, who says that Te'o's (way too many apostrophes there) teammates, while imagining the girl existed, thought Te'o was exaggerating the nature of their relationship and played to the media way too much.
   3343. DA Baracus Posted: January 17, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4349128)
Deadspin went with a quote from "a friend of" the alleged perpetrator saying he was 80% sure T'eo was in on it.

Te'o apparently bought into it so much that the friend was probably convinced that only someone in on it would take it this far.
   3344. Shredder Posted: January 17, 2013 at 01:36 PM (#4349147)
One 'I believe Te'o' angle could be this: he had (thought) an online relationship with this 'woman', and was frankly embarrassed to admit he had an online girlfriend he never met, and sort of filled in some of the details with his own 'white lies,' to create the foundation of his 'girlfriend'.
This is kind of the more succinct version of what I was getting at on the last page. He could be both duped and a liar.
   3345. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 17, 2013 at 03:25 PM (#4349267)
Al Pacino to play Joe Paterno in a movie directed by Brian DePalma. Not sure if it ends with JoePa sniffing a mountain of cocaine or not.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/since-everyones-making-little-friend-jokes-anyway,91254/
   3346. GregD Posted: January 17, 2013 at 03:36 PM (#4349272)
No idea if this is true or not, but this alleged screenshot of a Twitter back and forth between Donald Trump and Deadspin is pretty funny: link
   3347. spike Posted: January 18, 2013 at 07:41 PM (#4350323)
   3348. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:27 PM (#4353548)
the NCAA is now under investigation by the NCAA for violations by the NCAA enforcement staff regarding illegally obtained information related to the NCAA's investigation of NCAA violations by the university of miami.

hopefully that sentence is convoluted enough to convey the ridiculousness of the situation.
   3349. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:23 PM (#4353615)
As best I can tell, the investigators were improperly using depositions from Shapiro's bankruptcy to get information?
   3350. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:44 PM (#4353650)
the NCAA is now under investigation by the NCAA for violations by the NCAA enforcement staff regarding illegally obtained information related to the NCAA's investigation of NCAA violations by the university of miami.

hopefully that sentence is convoluted enough to convey the ridiculousness of the situation

well said. NCAA is obviously amongst the easiest punching bags to work over in all of America, but this does illustrate one of the major failings of the NCAA and where you could sympathsize with the people who resorted to using this information to conduct their own investigation. Without true, authoritative and investigatory (supoena) powers, the investigators and investigations are feckless.

3351. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:59 PM (#4353664)
The off-season is about three weeks old and it's already one of the oddest I can remember.
   3352. Tripon Posted: January 30, 2013 at 07:27 PM (#4358609)
SWATS, the company that outed Ray Lewis now says that Alabama football players used the deer antler spray as well.
   3353. Every Inge Counts Posted: January 30, 2013 at 07:31 PM (#4358611)
SWATS, the company that outed Ray Lewis now says that Alabama football players used the deer antler spray as well.

and LSU players. I also think some college players wore some of those Powerbands before a game as well.
   3354. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: January 30, 2013 at 07:38 PM (#4358617)
and LSU players. I also think some college players wore some of those Powerbands before a game as well.

So college football players don't have to take critical thinking classes, is the lesson I'm taking from these stories.
   3355. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: January 30, 2013 at 08:19 PM (#4358659)

The "deer antler spray" not only contained growth hormone (though probably unusable by humans) but also was implicated in a positive test for anabolic steroids in the NFL, so it may have done a bit more than powerbands or hologram stickers. But yeah, the SI article makes me think that Nigerian scammers would be better off targeting NFL players than senior citizens.

I did love the statement from the Alabama spokesman:
When asked for a comment on their players' interactions with Key and Ross, Alabama officials said, "We've sent them two cease and desist letters, and we are constantly educating our guys on performance-enhancing substances."

I just bet you are.
   3356. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: January 30, 2013 at 08:42 PM (#4358667)
So college football players don't have to take critical thinking classes,

Or any other kind, for that matter.
   3357. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 06, 2013 at 11:57 AM (#4363803)
Come on kids, it's National Signing Day. Time to freak out.
   3358. spike Posted: February 06, 2013 at 12:04 PM (#4363813)
Or in the case of my alma mater, get some good news for a change.

And speaking of, 12 of the top 25 or so classes (depending on who you like for this sort of thing) are SEC teams. The conference may well be overrated, but even the middling schools still can market themselves to blue chip kids.
   3359. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: February 06, 2013 at 12:10 PM (#4363821)
The conference may well be overrated, but even the middling schools still can market themselves to blue chip kids.

"Marketing" seems like an appropriate word. You can't spell University of Mississippi without SMU.
   3360. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 06, 2013 at 12:19 PM (#4363829)
Ole Miss got lucky with some top prospects this year, in that a lot of circumstances came together in their favor. Robert Nkemdiche's brother plays for Ole Miss, and Laquon Treadwell's best friend is also a Rebel.

Have no idea how they pulled Laremy Tunsil from Florida, however. It's hard not to be suspicious of that program.
   3361. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: February 06, 2013 at 12:42 PM (#4363852)
Have no idea how they pulled Laremy Tunsil from Florida, however. It's hard not to be suspicious of that program.

There have been rumors floating around about Ole Miss since before this season - and they're clearly not of the sour grapes variety, because Ole Miss sucks. I presume its just gotten to the point that the cost/benefit analysis of paying makes it worth it. What's the downside - turning into Auburn or Miami? Ole Miss will take that for a few years on top of the world . . .

3362. spike Posted: February 06, 2013 at 12:58 PM (#4363877)
One hears a lot of annual accusations, but they seem to result in very few actual cases, let alone successful investigations. Are the NCAA and opposing conferences unwilling/unable to crack the hillbilly conspiracy? How is it possible these hayseed schools can maintain a payroll for HS talent right under the noses of their minders and opponents?
   3363. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: February 06, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4363945)
Highly rated RB prospect Alex Collins verbaled to Arkansas last night, but his Mom apparently has swiped the LOI and is avoiding signing it today. Good times.
   3364. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: February 06, 2013 at 04:22 PM (#4364223)
USC went from an amazing class to an absolute tire fire. Not all the dust has settled yet but they may be looking at a ten player class.
   3365. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 06, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4364271)
USC went from an amazing class to an absolute tire fire. Not all the dust has settled yet but they may be looking at a ten player class.

And might I just say: HA!

Good day for Florida, filling just about every need and getting some really high quality players. The five receivers were vital.
   3366. Every Inge Counts Posted: February 06, 2013 at 04:44 PM (#4364275)
I think Alabama had a good recruiting class, though I was not following recruiting as much this year as before. Really looking forward to seeing how O.J. Howard pans out.
   3367. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 06, 2013 at 04:49 PM (#4364285)
Saban always has good recruiting classes. That's what happens when you convince recruits that you will kill their families if they don't sign with you.
   3368. Tom Nawrocki Posted: February 06, 2013 at 04:55 PM (#4364299)
There have been rumors floating around about Ole Miss since before this season - and they're clearly not of the sour grapes variety, because Ole Miss sucks. I presume its just gotten to the point that the cost/benefit analysis of paying makes it worth it.

Wasn't Ole Miss the school that agreed to pay Cecil Newton $180 large if Cam went there?
   3369. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 06, 2013 at 04:59 PM (#4364307)
Wasn't Ole Miss the school that agreed to pay Cecil Newton $180 large if Cam went there?

That was Mississippi State, I think.

To avoid future confusion:

Mississippi State is the crappy team in the crappy campus.
Ole Miss is the crappy team in the beautiful campus.
   3370. spike Posted: February 06, 2013 at 05:05 PM (#4364315)
How Auburn managed to hang on to as much of their class as they did is a miracle (insert $/Cam joke here). First good news since last NSD for the program, really.
   3371. Tripon Posted: February 07, 2013 at 02:20 AM (#4364732)
Lane Kiffin probably going to get fired at the end of next year.
   3372. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: February 07, 2013 at 09:18 AM (#4364766)
Another theory about Ole Miss

My thoughts...all the top schools in the SEC cheat. It's an open secret. Fans of other SEC schools pointing the finger at Ole Miss because they wrote bigger checks this year is kind of laughable.
   3373. spike Posted: February 07, 2013 at 10:11 AM (#4364796)
So is positing a secret conspiracy that is tolerated/unable to be detected by the rest of the sport.
   3374. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: February 07, 2013 at 10:20 AM (#4364803)
So is positing a secret conspiracy that is tolerated/unable to be detected by the rest of the sport.

It's not even a conspiracy. What was shocking about Alabama's getting stung by the NCAA a few years back wasn't that they were cheating, but that someone tattled on them. You're not supposed to do that. Big time college football is what it is and I accepted it a long time ago. I have no problem with the athletes getting what they can under the current system, but the idea that this program over here is clean but that one over there is dirty, particularly in the SEC is kind of silly. The quicker the O'Bannon lawsuit works its way through the courts and the sooner the NCAA has to deal with reality, the better.
   3375. spike Posted: February 07, 2013 at 11:06 AM (#4364832)
Well we are certainly agreed that equitable compensation of collegiate athletes is something that should happen. But to shrug one's shoulders and presume that if one conference is out-recruiting others, then QED it is because of payoffs is spurious.

Why do the other schools outside the SEC tolerate it?
Why does the NCAA tolerate it?
How come formal accusations are so rare, let alone actual evidence and consequences?
Why aren't non-sec schools offering similar payoffs, since it's a non-issue?
If success is evidence of cheating, is Ohio State ipso facto in the payoff business because they have an SEC coach who has dramatically improved their recruiting?

//and furthermore just the scale by which the SEC outrecruits the field is immense - are they paying ALL of these players? How much? Where is all this money coming from? Vanderbilt had a top 20 class this year - way better than Oregon for example. Is Vandy in on it too? Sorry to rant, but the Great SEC Payola Conspiracy really sets me off. Is it possible? Sure. But to just offer it as an article of faith is the same logic that concludes Hank Aaron must have been on steroids.

3376. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: February 07, 2013 at 11:20 AM (#4364845)
I'm not pointing my finger just at the SEC--though I suspect they're just the best at it--but I think it's fairly rampant across the country.
   3377. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 07, 2013 at 12:17 PM (#4364908)
Florida is apparently still engaged in one recruiting battle. They have an offer out to a Florida kid named Trevon Young, a potential OL/TE type. However, the Gators will have to sway him from a basketball scholarship. At Eckerd College. A division II school. This is, by all accounts, a genuinely painful decision for Young.
   3378. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: February 07, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4364960)
What was shocking about Alabama's getting stung by the NCAA a few years back wasn't that they were cheating, but that someone tattled on them

Tattling (especially) in the SEC, has been fairly commonplace over the years. Fulmer was an expert at it. There are no shortage of tattling stories out there.
   3379. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: February 07, 2013 at 01:45 PM (#4364974)
Apropos of nothing (well, very little) USC signee Ty Isaac said he was offered a car when visiting one of the schools recruiting him.

Re: Ole Miss; one of their five star recruits tweeted a picture of a bunch of $100s on a coffee table a few weeks ago. Obviously there is nothing to specifically relate that to recruiting. Clemson kids used to be notorious for posting pics of themselves holding wads of cash. It might have just been a "thing" among their recruits to consider posing with money to be cool but it certainly has made people wonder.
   3380. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 07, 2013 at 02:56 PM (#4365081)
And Florida beats out hated rival Eckerd College for Trevon Young.
   3381. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: February 07, 2013 at 04:22 PM (#4365178)
And Florida beats out hated rival Eckerd College for Trevon Young.

Florida won the battle but Eckerd is going to neg recruit the #### out of UF's prospects next year.
   3382. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: February 07, 2013 at 04:40 PM (#4365202)
Florida won the battle but Eckerd is going to neg recruit the #### out of UF's prospects next year.

Those arrogant Eckerdians have to be put in their place one of these days.
   3383. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: February 07, 2013 at 05:19 PM (#4365245)
Whoa, the kid whose mom ran off with his LOI got his dad to sign it and now his mom is hiring a lawyer.
   3384. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 06, 2013 at 07:37 PM (#4382408)
Double Post
   3385. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: March 06, 2013 at 07:38 PM (#4382409)

Well, ####: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0056805
   3386. zenbitz Posted: March 07, 2013 at 02:08 AM (#4382623)
PLOS-One is an odd place to publish that.
   3387. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: April 24, 2013 at 04:21 AM (#4424160)
i'm not really a huge recruiting guy, but in the last week penn state has gotten a pair of 4* WRs for their 2014 recruiting class. that follows this year's class which has the top HS QB, the 2nd ranked JC QB, and the 2nd ranked TE in the country.

it seems to me that if they can keep the coach from bolting to the NFL and pull off another 8-win season this year, they might actually look pretty good by the time the sanctions run out.
   3388. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 24, 2013 at 04:34 PM (#4424956)
The Rutgers rivals board is in full meltdown over Godwin going to Penn State. They really thought he was in the bag.

3389. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 24, 2013 at 05:19 PM (#4425003)
Why is there such indignation over the name of the 'College Football Playoff'. Who ####### Cares what it is called? Of course I'm outraged at the thought of a college football playoff to begin with, but the name of it? Ooh yeah, the NBA Playoffs/NBA Finals is soooo much better.

Maybe, Godwin wants to play in the Big Ten? No, wait...
   3390. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: May 16, 2013 at 08:42 PM (#4445272)
Rutgers 2014 schedule

Saturday, August 30 - TBA (speculation is UConn or Syracuse)
Saturday, September 6 - Howard
Saturday, September 13 - Penn State
Saturday, September 20 - at Navy
Saturday, September 27 Tulane
Saturday, October 4 - Michigan
Saturday, October 18 - at Ohio State
Saturday, October 25 - at Nebraska
Saturday, November 1 - Wisconsin
Saturday, November 15 - Indiana
Saturday, November 22 - at Michigan State
Saturday, November 29 - at Maryland

So we get the east slate PLUS Nebraska and Wisconsin form the west. Wow. Welcome to the Big Ten!!
   3391. Every Inge Counts Posted: June 13, 2013 at 06:25 PM (#4468978)
Pre-season magazines coming out now. Most of them seem to have Alabama winning their 4th national title in 5 years.

3392. madvillain Posted: June 13, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4469002)
So we get the east slate PLUS Nebraska and Wisconsin form the west. Wow. Welcome to the Big Ten!!

That is a brutal schedule but alas only Michigan and O$U are recruiting at a top 10 level nationally (top 5 really for those two) so in a few years the MSU's and Whiskys and PSU (sanctions gonna hurt the numbers game) won't be so bad.

But yea, the B1G is a helluva basketball conference and a mediocre FB one, but that's a murderer's row, even with the mediocrity.

Michigan is starting to pull elite kids out of Jersey, including JBB and everyone's favorite Jabrill Peppers, Can't help but wonder if the new eastern footprint is helping out with the families -- "hey you can come see us in NJ when Michigan visits!".
   3393. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: June 14, 2013 at 12:46 AM (#4469157)
That is a brutal schedule but alas only Michigan and O$U are recruiting at a top 10 level nationally (top 5 really for those two) so in a few years the MSU's and Whiskys and PSU (sanctions gonna hurt the numbers game) won't be so bad.
i wouldn't be so sure of that. time will tell, but if they get elite QB play, that makes up for a whole hell of a lot of other deficiencies.

also, fwiw, PSU has rolled over a few scholarships from year to year by taking advantage of early-enrollment, so there's not as much of a crunch as you'd think. they're still relatively limited, but they do have some wiggleroom if they get a surprise commit.

3394. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 14, 2013 at 03:19 AM (#4469184)
its not like other teams in the big ten can recruit Jersey, no way Mike Rozier, Irving Fryar or Ron Dayne would go anywhere else except UM or tOSU.
   3395. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: June 14, 2013 at 05:04 AM (#4469195)
3392]
Don't ignore the flipside though. Rutgers landed a four star QB from Michigan this year. That NEVER would have happened.

Michigan and OSU have always been players for Jersey kids who were national caliber recruits.
   3396. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: June 14, 2013 at 05:08 AM (#4469197)
But yeah, Peppers stings, even though he only ever paid lip service to Rutgers. This is after two straight years of getting the top Jersey recruit (Savon Huggins, Darius Hamilton).

its pretty funny to compare Wisky's and Rutgers' schedules for '14 and '15.
   3397. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: June 14, 2013 at 08:45 AM (#4469236)
Wait, Huggins and Hamilton were two and three years ago, respectively. I forgot about last season's mediocre class. Suffice to say that Flood is not recruiting as well as Schiano in New Jersey.
   3398. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 14, 2013 at 09:04 AM (#4469245)
Flood is absolutely not the coach Rutgers need right now for their transition to the big ten. If they don't wise up on him quickly he will give back all the gains schiano racked up over the last decade. Being hyper conservative on offense and expecting your d to give up 10 points a game will get them a 4-8 record.
   3399. TerpNats Posted: June 14, 2013 at 09:19 AM (#4469249)
Maryland's recruiting has improved since the Big Ten announcement; the Terrapins are finally shedding themselves of the weak ACC football stigma. The key question is whether Edsall can take advantage of the better talent -- if not, Maryland at least should have more resources available to finally hire a legit big-time coach.
   3400. Every Inge Counts Posted: June 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM (#4469370)
Page 34 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Backlasher
for his generous support.