Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 01, 2012

OT: November College Football Thread.

Alabama Is still Ranked #1.  Will they hold steady to repeat? Make it to the title game?  Or does another team claim the Crystal ball in Miami in January.

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 01, 2012 at 01:43 PM | 3408 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 35 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35
   3401. zenbitz Posted: June 14, 2013 at 08:06 PM (#4469919)
Bump
   3402. madvillain Posted: June 14, 2013 at 09:28 PM (#4469976)
Maryland's recruiting has improved since the Big Ten announcement; the Terrapins are finally shedding themselves of the weak ACC football stigma. The key question is whether Edsall can take advantage of the better talent -- if not, Maryland at least should have more resources available to finally hire a legit big-time coach.

What's been your impression of the Maryland reax to joining the conference? Only Maryland fan I know is my accountant and he seemed lukewarm at best. Of course as a B1G fan my reaction was lukewarm as well but I've come around to it. It's a demographics thing in the long run and the midwest is losing its talent base slowly but surely. It's good to have a couple schools that are in a region that is gaining population and UM has a huge alumni base in NYC so anything to energize them is positive.

Maryland is joining a really, really good basketball conference I think you guys are gonna be pleasantly surprised -- well, at least about everything except the occasional sludge ball Wisconsin or MSU game facilitated by the "no blood, no foul" style of officiating those teams seem to thrive on.
   3403. Every Inge Counts Posted: June 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM (#4470019)
Tim Brando put Louisville #1 on his preseason "this is how they will finish" board.
   3404. TerpNats Posted: June 15, 2013 at 04:09 AM (#4470041)
What's been your impression of the Maryland reax to joining the conference? Only Maryland fan I know is my accountant and he seemed lukewarm at best. Of course as a B1G fan my reaction was lukewarm as well but I've come around to it.
There was a hue and cry at first -- the very concept seemed so out-of-the-box -- but the College Park community (including casual fans) has indeed come around to it, too. It's simply a better fit than the ACC, both academically (Maryland is finally associated with its land-grant state flagship peers, and both it and Rutgers will begin CIC membership this July 1) and athletically (the Big Ten is the wealthiest of conferences, with an "old money" aura the ACC simply doesn't have, and football there means so much more than it does for most ACC members). To be fair, the ACC's recent petty actions against Maryland -- not just the lawsuit, but scheduling (for both men's and women's basketball next year, the three Research Triangle schools of UNC, NCSU and Duke won't visit College Park, but play their only games against the Terrapins on their home courts) -- has made the Big Ten look better and better in the eyes of Terp fans. It's clearly the right move, although the Maryland basketball-first mindset will have to be adjusted to what it was back in the Jim Tatum era, when College Park had a national championship team (1953), an undefeated season (1951, when it beat national champ Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl) and a number of big intersectional wins (including conquests of Michigan State in East Lansing and Red Sanders' then-potent UCLA team at Byrd Stadium).

With six decades of ACC experience under its belt, Maryland will adjust to the Big Ten far easier than Rutgers will. For nearly half those 60 years, Rutgers was an ersatz Ivy League football program, and it didn't really advance much in its two decades of Big East play. And its overall athletic program ranks far below both Maryland's and the Big Ten (the latest Directors' Cup standings put Rutgers in the neighborhood of Big East schools with far more limited resources, such as Marquette, Providence and Villanova). I don't think the folks in New Brunswick and Piscataway realize the magnitude of the challenge ahead, and I doubt most Scarlet Knights teams will be competitive until at least the end of the decade. It's a big step up on the banks of the Raritan.
   3405. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: June 15, 2013 at 06:37 PM (#4470258)

With six decades of ACC experience under its belt, Maryland will adjust to the Big Ten far easier than Rutgers will. For nearly half those 60 years, Rutgers was an ersatz Ivy League football program, and it didn't really advance much in its two decades of Big East play. And its overall athletic program ranks far below both Maryland's and the Big Ten (the latest Directors' Cup standings put Rutgers in the neighborhood of Big East schools with far more limited resources, such as Marquette, Providence and Villanova). I don't think the folks in New Brunswick and Piscataway realize the magnitude of the challenge ahead, and I doubt most Scarlet Knights teams will be competitive until at least the end of the decade. It's a big step up on the banks of the Raritan.

I don't see how any of this is the least bit relevant. The Big East has been a comparable football conference to the ACC and Rutgers has been a better football team than Maryland for most of the last 8 years. Every other sport, fine, but who cares about those? It's not like Big Ten basketball is a step up from Big East basketball.

Also, to say Rutgers didn't advance much in two decades of Big East play is just ridiculous. Forget about the wins and losses, which speak for themselves, but the talent on the Rutgers roster now is Big Ten caliber talent. The talent on the Rutgers roster in 1993 was CAA talent.
   3406. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: June 17, 2013 at 06:54 PM (#4471408)
Rutgers just inked Washington State for 2014-2015. Man, 2015 is going to be some kind of fun year.

Norfolk State
Wasington State
Kansas
at Penn State
Michigan State
at Indiana
Ohio State
at Wisconsin
at Michigan
Army
Nebraska

They have my permission to schedule Pen State Altoona for their final game.
Maryland
   3407. hokieneer Posted: July 03, 2013 at 10:42 AM (#4483882)
   3408. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: July 16, 2013 at 02:19 PM (#4495892)
WVU needs some good local OOC games like that.
Page 35 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback calls it soccer
for his generous support.