Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 01, 2012

OT: November College Football Thread.

Alabama Is still Ranked #1.  Will they hold steady to repeat? Make it to the title game?  Or does another team claim the Crystal ball in Miami in January.

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 01, 2012 at 01:43 PM | 3408 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
   801. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:12 PM (#4306261)
College football in general is unlikely to fill the bowl slots and will have to get creative to fill them. 6-7 teams, etc.

Woohoo, congrats GA Tech! Being the first 6-8 team is just a few weeks away.
   802. Every Inge Counts Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:19 PM (#4306263)

How soon we forget about the glorious 2011 UCLA team.
   803. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:22 PM (#4306264)
I couldn't tell you the SEC's divisions off the top of my head, and they are no more geographically accurate than the B1G. They just chose the simple names.

GA, FL, SC, TN, KY, Vandy, Mizzou

Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, A&M, Miss St, Ole Miss

The real outlier geographically is Mizzou in the East. You'd do better to put Auburn in the East and drop Mizzou in the west, but you're not breaking up AU-Bama like that.
   804. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:23 PM (#4306265)
How soon we forget about the glorious 2011 UCLA team.

Wow, I sure did forget. I remembered they were 6-7 after the championship game, but I didn't think to check their bowl. They lost to Illinois, gross.
   805. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:24 PM (#4306267)

1) GT is going to be destroyed by FSU in the ACC Championship.

2) It would be really awesome if something freaktastic happened and they won. Everyone would love to have a team that was destroyed by Middle Tennessee State, at home, go to a BCS game, right?
   806. Dan The Mediocre Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:26 PM (#4306269)
2) It would be really awesome if something freaktastic happened and they won. Everyone would love to have a team that was destroyed by Middle Tennessee State, at home, go to a BCS game, right?

Don't knock Middle Tennessee State. That's Mississippi State's best win.
   807. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:32 PM (#4306270)

That would be glorious. Tech's triple option, a week after what is sure to be a tough, physical game against arch rival Florida could give FSU some trouble. It wouldn't be the most far fetched upset of the season, that's for sure.
   808. Moses Taylor, Moses Taylor Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:37 PM (#4306273)
Wow, I sure did forget. I remembered they were 6-7 after the championship game, but I didn't think to check their bowl. They lost to Illinois, gross.

AKA, the interim coach bowl.

809. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:42 PM (#4306277)
That would be glorious. Tech's triple option, a week after what is sure to be a tough, physical game against arch rival Florida could give FSU some trouble. It wouldn't be the most far fetched upset of the season, that's for sure.

With no extra prep time for the option, I can easily seeing Tech scoring enough to win against FSU. What I can't imagine is GT's defense managing to get FSU off the field. At all. Ever.
   810. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 19, 2012 at 05:56 PM (#4306286)
What I can't imagine is GT's defense managing to get FSU off the field. At all. Ever.

Me neither, but FSU's offense maybe be able to keep themselves off the field, ala NC state if they feel the pressure and/or are tired from the week before. Definitely something worth hoping on anyway.
   811. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: November 19, 2012 at 06:12 PM (#4306297)
Not sure if this has come up before, but while there is a lot of debate over the best team in Division I, the worst team has the title sewn up. Sagarin has the 1-10 Campbell Camels ranked 246th and last. They lost at home to #244 Davidson and #245 Valparaiso, and also to D2 Shorter University. Their only win was a 10-0 squeaker again the University of Virginia at Wise, an NAIA team with a 3-8 record. Another notable loss was a 70-28 blowout at the hands of #232 Moreheard State. They've only played one D1 team Sagarin rates higher than #194, Old Dominion at #114, to whom they lost 70-14. The only close loss was the 28-21 game with Davidson, but they were behind in that one 28-0 at the start of the fourth quarter.

Sagarin says Campbell played the 238th toughest schedule. #239 is Dayton, and everyone below that was a team that played Campbell.

812. DA Baracus Posted: November 19, 2012 at 06:39 PM (#4306307)
2) It would be really awesome if something freaktastic happened and they won.

After they beat Georgia for extra holy #### schadenfreude.

And let's give Tech's new found defense some credit. They did hold future B1G team Maryland to 13 points.
   813. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 19, 2012 at 07:09 PM (#4306324)
They did hold future B1G team Maryland to 13 points.

And it is *hard* to slow down a turtle.
   814. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: November 19, 2012 at 08:15 PM (#4306348)
I'll take 7-7 and in a BCS bowl, thank you.
   815. hokieneer Posted: November 19, 2012 at 09:09 PM (#4306396)
And let's give Tech's new found defense some credit. They did hold future B1G team Maryland to 13 points.

While we're giving our partial credit, WVU managed to hold Maryland to only 21. The only 1-A team to score less than 34 on WVU's "defense".
   816. DA Baracus Posted: November 19, 2012 at 09:40 PM (#4306417)
34 points combined against WVU and GT's defenses is embarrassing. Welcome to the B1G!
   817. madvillain Posted: November 19, 2012 at 09:47 PM (#4306424)

Did anyone else watch 60 Minutes from last night? They interviewed Brady Hoke, Dave Brandon (Michigan AD), Denard and Nick Saban. I guess good timing.

Nice little infomercial for both teams, but especially Michigan. I can't tell you how good Brady Hoke has been for Michigan. He's been amazing.
   818. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM (#4306508)
Did anyone else watch 60 Minutes from last night? They interviewed Brady Hoke, Dave Brandon (Michigan AD), Denard and Nick Saban. I guess good timing.

I did. This topic is long overdue for some serious analysis. This was an inch deep story that unearthed absolutely nothing of substance. Not saying it was meant to be an expose, but was aired for a crowd that is probably a cliff notes college football fan that knows little beyond, ND, Michigan, Bama, etc.
   819. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM (#4306538)
I think the ACC will add Georgetown and another team. Georgetown leaves the BE because it is not a football school and would be better off basketball wise in the ACC
   820. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4306539)
Not sure if the ACC would want Georgetown without football.
   821. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4306542)
but if they add an all sports team Georgetown balences out ND as a non football team allowing for divisions in all sports. this is just my on theory but it seems to make a lot of sense to me. the only question is who they also bring in?
   822. madvillain Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM (#4306543)
Not saying it was meant to be an expose, but was aired for a crowd that is probably a cliff notes college football fan that knows little beyond, ND, Michigan, Bama, etc.

It was a total puff piece, but they made two key points that are related and yet distinct:

1) BCS football pays for all other sports programs at most schools.

2) Despite that football cash, most schools' ADs lose money.

The system cannot stand. Either more money comes into CFB or the "arms race" for coaches, facilities, etc comes to an end. Nobody wants to cut men's lacrosse or women's swimming. It's a lot easier in the court of public opinion to make the argument that it's the bloated excess of the football program, not the cost of the minor sports programs, that should be cut.

Michigan is unique in that its AD actually turns a profit. Michigan makes 10 million+ from every home game, (which puts the 10 million guarantee they received from the 'Bama neautral site game in proper perspective -- despite what Dave Brandon argues, they could have made more doing a home and home and given fans of both teams a proper series) but that's not a luxury even most power conference teams can boast. Even in the B1G you see Spartan Stadium or Ross-Ade in Purdue half full.

I don't know what the answer is, but CFB and CBB are like the US in the years leading up to the civil war. Everyone knows the house cannot stand, but nobody wants to fire the first shot. Paying players is at least no longer a taboo topic, that's a good first start.

As Lester Freaman noted, "you start to follow the money, and you don't know what you're gonna find". That's why the NCAA is loathe to investigage. Ask Auburn, O$U, Oregon, USC etc what the price is for knowingly transferring some of the millions they make off of football in ways the NCAA deems illegal -- not much. SLap on the wrist. Couple schollies lost, maybe a bowl man, maybe just a stern warning.

We'll see what happens.
   823. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM (#4306548)
I know Purdue's athletic department is funded through donors and profit only so they at least arnt a burden. really though mens bball and football fund most athletic departments
   824. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM (#4306552)
While we're giving our partial credit, WVU managed to hold Maryland to only 21. The only 1-A team to score less than 34 on WVU's "defense".

To be fair, Stephon Diggs still made the secondary look like they played with clown shoes on. He's just the only receiver they have and he's hurt now.
   825. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 20, 2012 at 02:10 AM (#4306565)
anyone want to bet a bref sponsorship on the outcome of the nd usc game?
   826. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 08:58 AM (#4306608)

2) Despite that football cash, most schools' ADs lose money.

Isn't that because there is no incentive to make a profit? I thought the attitude was "use it or lose it."
   827. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: November 20, 2012 at 08:59 AM (#4306609)
The system cannot stand. Either more money comes into CFB or the "arms race" for coaches, facilities, etc comes to an end. Nobody wants to cut men's lacrosse or women's swimming. It's a lot easier in the court of public opinion to make the argument that it's the bloated excess of the football program, not the cost of the minor sports programs, that should be cut.

I disagree. The "true" value of athletic programs are marketing and keeping alumni involved.

Marketing goes beyond prospective students... large state schools are partially dependent on tax dollars and that money is directly related to schools' ability to maintain a local relationship with taxpayers, the vast majority of whom do not attend the schools.

Big time sports also bring alums back to campus and are a vital part of maintaining relationships with donors. I think most schools are quite happy to operate a manageable deficit because of the real financial value of these intangibles.
   828. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 09:20 AM (#4306622)
Boise State, San Diego State and BYU may rejoin Mountain West\

The talks originated after last week's decision in Denver by the BCS commissioners to award an automatic access bowl berth to the highest-rated champion to the "Group of Five" conferences. That decision in essence put the Mountain West on equal footing, as far as playoff access is concerned, with the Big East starting in 2014.

The "Group of Five" includes the Mountain West, Big East, Conference USA, Mid-American and Sun Belt conferences.
   829. Mike Webber Posted: November 20, 2012 at 09:37 AM (#4306630)
So if the BCS people were intentionally trying to kill the Big East as a football conference, their actions over the past year or so would be different how?
   830. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 20, 2012 at 09:47 AM (#4306635)
That story sounds fishy to me. It implies that the Big East and Conference USA are two separate things.
   831. I am going to be Frank Posted: November 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM (#4306669)
Michigan is unique in that its AD actually turns a profit. Michigan makes 10 million+ from every home game, (which puts the 10 million guarantee they received from the 'Bama neautral site game in proper perspective -- despite what Dave Brandon argues, they could have made more doing a home and home and given fans of both teams a proper series)

Not sure how your math works. A home and home gives you the revenue of one home game and no revenue of an away game. It would have been better to just schedule two cupcakes at home with no away games. Hell, I still can't believe Michigan agreed to do a home and home with UConn.

I disagree. The "true" value of athletic programs are marketing and keeping alumni involved.

Totally agree - I'm an alum of two vastly different programs (Rutgers and Michigan). Michigan has a pull where alumni will go back every couple of years take their family, walk around campus, watch a game and maybe make a donation. For a lot of alumni Rutgers has no pull. I know plenty of people who would never set another foot on campus (even if they lived in NJ) because they see no reason to. Over the past 5-10 years or so, more and more have been going to games and there has been interest. Hell up until this past year, the only reason I would go is to get a fat sandwich. I don't think current interest level is enough to justify putting BTN on a basic tier, but in a couple years it might.
   832. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM (#4306677)
Andy Katz is reporting that Louisville may bump UConn for the ACC bid.
   833. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM (#4306705)
Andy Katz is reporting that Louisville may bump UConn for the ACC bid.

Might as well add both of them and pull in another as well.
   834. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM (#4306754)
NM
   835. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4306799)
So, if the following happens:

1) USC beats ND.
2) UGA beats GT and Bama.
3) UF beats FSU
4) Oregon wins out

Do you play a national championship of UGA vs Oregon, or do you rematch UGA/UF?
   836. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM (#4306805)

I think that depends on whether UCLA beats Stanford or not. If Oregon wins out with a PAC-12 championship, they probably go. If they win out and don't get the extra win against a ranked team, probably not.
   837. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM (#4306813)
I'm not sure Macon to Orlando could survive a rematch of GA/FL for the national championship.
   838. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 01:01 PM (#4306829)
Under Armour CEO Unwilling to Foot the Bill for UMD’s $50 Million ACC Exit Fee

I think the writers will do all they can to avoid an all SEC matchup.
   839. Spivey Posted: November 20, 2012 at 01:20 PM (#4306841)
Georgia/Florida for the national championship would be interesting in that it would be the worst BCS national championship teams we've ever had, and probably would have for decades to come.
   840. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 01:29 PM (#4306848)

Anyone who watched the UGA-UF game would never vote to have that slopfest replayed.
   841. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: November 20, 2012 at 01:38 PM (#4306854)

I think the writers will do all they can to avoid an all SEC matchup.

The writers poll is not part of the BCS formula. It's the coaches poll, the Harris poll and select number of computer polls.
   842. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 01:42 PM (#4306857)
I'm not sure Macon to Orlando could survive a rematch of GA/FL for the national championship.

They would need to tell Miami that they aren't hosting the game, it's going to JAX.
   843. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 01:54 PM (#4306866)
Anyone who watched the UGA-UF game would never vote to have that slopfest replayed.

Unfortunately, there's a good chance very few coaches or Harris Poll voters actually watched that game.
   844. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 02:06 PM (#4306877)
Unfortunately, there's a good chance very few coaches or Harris Poll voters actually watched that game.

As opposed to what other game? It was a sloppy, defensive game. It's hard to imagine a national championship game like that.
   845. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 02:20 PM (#4306887)
As opposed to what other game?

Well, plenty of coaches were busy with their own games and likely didn't watch any games during the 3:30 time slot that day. Some Harris Poll voters seem to not watch many games at all.

Other games going on at the time were Texas Tech-K St and Ohio St.-Penn St. I'm sure those attracted plenty of eyeballs. I watched most of the Georgia-Florida game once the K-St game got out of hand, and plenty of it early on too. It was poorly played.

It was a sloppy, defensive game.

There is sloppy, and then there is 9 turnovers and 24 penalties for 227 yards in a single game. Only the fans of those teams would want to see that again. I mean, I'm sure you want it to be replayed, Georgia sure looks like they would win a second time.
   846. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 02:26 PM (#4306891)
It was a sloppy, defensive game.

That was not a defensive game, it was just plain sloppy.

Another SEC rematch would be awful. Last year Alabama was clearly the best team all year. Florida isn't.
   847. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:13 PM (#4306936)
That was not a defensive game, it was just plain sloppy.

it was very physical, but agree with rest.
   848. Quaker Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:29 PM (#4306950)
Alabama was absolutely not clearly the best team all year. They lost a game, only played PSU OOC and didn't have to play in the SECCG. LSU, meanwhile, beat Alabama in Alabama, beat Oregon @ a neutral site & @ WVU OOC and won the SECCG.
   849. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:32 PM (#4306952)
Only the fans of those teams would want to see that again. I mean, I'm sure you want it to be replayed, Georgia sure looks like they would win a second time.

I wouldn't mind seeing OR in the national championship if they win out (inclusive of the PAC-12.) After Alabama's team and Oregon's offense, I just don't see a lot of separation between teams otherwise. If UGA played Notre Dame 10 times this year, you'd probably have two 5-5 teams. UF isn't notably better or worse than either of those teams. The thought experiment is what happens if Alabama loses the SEC, in my mind. (I know they will send ND to the championship game if they win at USC, because people overrate ND all the damned time, and it seems even moreso this year, since they don't have PSU to senselessly goggle over anymore.)
   850. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4306958)
LSU looked so bad in the BCS title game, and Alabama was IMO the better but unlucky team in the first game that it made me overlook that LSU was #1 pretty much all season. I withdraw my previous statement.
   851. SoSH U at work Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:44 PM (#4306966)
I know they will send ND to the championship game if they win at USC, because people overrate ND all the damned time, and it seems even moreso this year, since they don't have PSU to senselessly goggle over anymore.

There's that, and the little detail about them being the only unbeaten non-probationary team, who also happened to play the toughest schedule among any of the contenders. On second thought, it's probably just the overrating that will get them there.

This would just be funny by itself. In light of the fact that the wholly unimpressive Georgia squad could meet them in the title game just makes your SEC provincialism sad.

852. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 03:58 PM (#4306977)
There's that, and the little detail about them being the only unbeaten non-probationary team, who also happened to play the toughest schedule among any of the contenders

Oh yes, those brutal games against Pitt and Wake Forest really stand out as tests of character and steel, man. And my god, they played Michigan! And those guys were totally relevant two decades ago!

In light of the fact that the wholly unimpressive Georgia squad could meet them in the title game just makes your SEC provincialism sad.

How long has it been since the best team from another conference beat an SEC powerhouse when it mattered, again?
   853. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:02 PM (#4306982)
What was alabamas schedule again or georiga who did they play? Thats right they all played a fbs school among other cupcakes this year
   854. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:05 PM (#4306985)
Thats right they all played a fbs school among other cupcakes this year

As opposed to Navy and Purdue. Notre Dame has exactly two quality wins: Stanford and Oklahoma.
   855. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:07 PM (#4306989)
Oh yes, those brutal games against Pitt and Wake Forest really stand out as tests of character and steel, man. And my god, they played Michigan! And those guys were totally relevant two decades ago!

Do you think Georgia has better wins than Stanford at home and @ Oklahoma? Georgia's second best win is...Vandy? Georgia has played Florida Atlantic, Buffalo, Georgia Southern, Kentucky, Auburn, Mizzou, and Tennessee. The only decent teams they played are an Ole Miss team that might not go bowling, South Carolina (who housed them) and Florida.

As opposed to Navy and Purdue. Notre Dame has exactly two quality wins: Stanford and Oklahoma.

Which is one more than Georgia has (Florida) or Alabama (LSU).
   856. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:10 PM (#4306991)
Which is one more than Georgia has (Florida) or Alabama (LSU).

Today. After the SEC championship game one of those teams will have two.
   857. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:11 PM (#4306994)
You guys are forgetting that Missouri and Tennessee and Ole Miss would all be 12-0 in any other conference. THE SEC TEAMS JUST BEAT EACH OTHER UP blah blah blah blah.
   858. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:12 PM (#4306997)
Today. After the SEC championship game one of those teams will have two.

Which will be roughly approximate to ND's two wins. I'm not seeing the imbalance here.
   859. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:14 PM (#4306999)
Do you think Georgia has better wins than Stanford at home and @ Oklahoma?

Beating Mizzou in Columbia is as impressive as beating Stanford in South Bend.
Beating Florida in Jacksonville is as impressive as beating Oklahoma in Norman.

Again, my position is that if they played 10, they'd split. ND is reasonably competitive in a (weak) SEC this year. They're not a great team by any stretch. The only reason they're undefeated is because they didn't have to run any sort of gauntlet of good teams, picking and choosing their weeks. (The idea that beating Purdue by 3 is more impressive than beating Buffalo by 20 is silly.
   860. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:16 PM (#4307001)
Which will be roughly approximate to ND's two wins. I'm not seeing the imbalance here.

There is no imbalance. I'm just saying that Notre Dame won't have a superior resume. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against an all SEC title game.
   861. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:17 PM (#4307002)

I may have vastly underrated Syracuse.
   862. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:17 PM (#4307003)
You guys are forgetting that Missouri and Tennessee and Ole Miss would all be 12-0 in any other conference.

Vandy would have won the ACC or the Big East this year, I suspect. But it's a really good year for Vandy, and all they'd have to do would be beat out FSU or Louisville.
   863. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:18 PM (#4307005)

So you'd favor Mizzou over Oregon at home?
   864. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:18 PM (#4307006)
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against an all SEC title game.

Well, to be clear, I simply asked if you went with OR or FL as the competition against AL or UGA, assuming ND lost to USC.
   865. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:21 PM (#4307007)

Seriously? 5-6 Mizzou? Who just lost at home to Syracuse? That's as good as beating Stanford who just beat Oregon at Oregon? Well, I guess I'm just glad you aren't the one making the decisions.

There is no imbalance. I'm just saying that Notre Dame won't have a superior resume. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against an all SEC title game.

OK, then we are on the same page. I don't think ND's resume will be superior to the SEC champ. They sure as heck will deserving of their bid in the MNC game though.
   866. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:21 PM (#4307008)
So you'd favor Mizzou over Oregon at home?

Not exactly.

UGA flew to Columbia and beat Mizzou by 21.

ND hosted Stanford, who was flying east half a continent, and scraped out alive in OT.

Those are about equivalent wins, all told.

The problem with the computers' SOS ratings is they don't account for margin of victory.
   867. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:23 PM (#4307010)
assuming ND lost to USC.

That's a huge assumption. But Notre Dame did struggle against Pitt, BYU and Purdue, so anything's possible. Man, if only Pitt's kicker hadn't missed.

As a fan of schadenfreude I'm torn on the Notre Dame-USC game. Part of me wants to see Notre Dame lose to a red shirt freshman making his first start. But that would do wonders for Lane Kiffin's job security, and I don't want that. Although if he's back next season that's another year of laughing at Lane Kiffin, so it's a win win.
   868. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4307012)

The problem with the computers' SOS ratings is they don't account for margin of victory.

Here is the full gamut of computer rankings. These are not hindered by the prohibition of MOV required by the BCS.
   869. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4307013)
That's a huge assumption

It's a hypothetical. It's not an odds based prediction.
   870. Every Inge Counts Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:27 PM (#4307018)
If only Alabama and Notre Dame had a common opponent....
   871. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4307024)
Looks like fans of Big Ten teams aren't the only ones unimpressed with Maryland:

Like many regents, McMillen heard the rumors late Thursday and early Friday. The regents were essentially force-fed one question to mull over the next 72 hours: What sane soul wouldn’t sever a 59-year relationship with the ACC and its member schools if it meant another $9 million a year off the top and untold millions when the Big Ten TV deal is renegotiated?

“We had two days to swallow this and we only heard from one side,” McMillen said. “We didn’t have anyone from the ACC come in and tell us why we shouldn’t leave. We didn’t talk to the athletes or the coaches and hear their concerns on both ends.

“If you’re a freshman athlete, you should be allowed to move schools based on the fact that no one said you were going to be catching plane rides to Lincoln, Nebraska, and Iowa City, Iowa, when they recruited you. I feel for them. We’re doing this in a vacuum.

“Frankly, Gary Williams and some other employees of the athletic department got out there and sold this before anyone could even form another opinion. Nobody was on the opposition side.”
   872. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4307025)
If only Alabama and Notre Dame had a common opponent....

Right, I'm sure the difference between 41-14 and 13-6 is just Michigan getting hyped to play ND or something.
   873. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4307048)

Right, I'm sure the difference between 41-14 and 13-6 is just Michigan getting hyped to play ND or something.

So we can agree that Notre Dame was significantly better than Georgia last year on the basis of their common opponent: Michigan State.
   874. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:49 PM (#4307049)
So we can agree that Notre Dame was significantly better than Georgia last year on the basis of their common opponent: Michigan State.

UGA wasn't very good last year.
   875. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4307054)
Texas A&M beat LA Tech by two points, Ole Miss by three and Bama by five. College teams play at inconsistent levels through the year. Is this news to anyone?
   876. I am going to be Frank Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:56 PM (#4307056)

Based on this statement you're giving a significant home field advantage for both teams. Michigan losing at Notre Dame doesn't get any of the home field advantage? Alabama is probably a much better team then Notre Dame, but I don't know how you can say that about Florida or Georgia, plus the fact that Notre Dame still hasn't lost.

*Florida has had close calls with LA-Lafayette and Missouri. Georgia squeaked by Tennessee and Kentucky. Teams have bad games.
   877. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:57 PM (#4307057)

“If you’re a freshman athlete, you should be allowed to move schools based on the fact that no one said you were going to be catching plane rides to Lincoln, Nebraska, and Iowa City, Iowa, when they recruited you. I feel for them. We’re doing this in a vacuum.

If you're going on a plane, is there really a big difference between going to places like South Bend, IN and Syracuse, NY, in contrast with Linocln and Iowa City?

Please, no one feels for these kids.
   878. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:03 PM (#4307061)
Alabama is probably a much better team then Notre Dame, but I don't know how you can say that about Florida or Georgia

And for the third time on this page, my position is that ND is basically the equivalent of UGA or UF this year, a good but not great SEC team in a weak year for the SEC. The only stand-out programs this year are Bama and Oregon, both of which got sucker-punched late by good-but-not-great teams.
   879. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:03 PM (#4307062)
Please, no one feels for these kids.

<Sandusky joke>
   880. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:05 PM (#4307064)
Based on this statement you're giving a significant home field advantage for both teams.

To clarify, beating Mizzou by 21, in Columbia, is as impressive as scraping by a eastward-travelling Stanford squad in OT, at home in South Bend.
   881. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:24 PM (#4307079)
It's not. Stanford is a lot better than Missouri.
   882. I am going to be Frank Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:40 PM (#4307088)
I understand being upset at the loss of rivalries but if you're Maryland how angry can you be - your school just cut seven varsity programs because of money!

883. cmd600 Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4307090)
If UGA played Notre Dame 10 times this year, you'd probably have two 5-5 teams

Guffaw.

Oh. You're actually serious. Well, don't let a legitimate discussion affect your SEC-blinders.

UGA wasn't very good last year

And what exactly this year suggests they're any different? They ran the table against a bunch of patsies with one good win sprinkled in, and are generally uncompetitive in games against top 10 teams. The only difference is they were smart enough to not schedule a team that could beat them in the non-conference.
   884. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4307092)
It looks like the complaint is more about the football program/AD making decisions for the regents on behalf of the school, rather than the regents and school making decisions on behalf of themselves and their AD programs.
   885. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:45 PM (#4307093)
Oh. You're actually serious

Tell me again how Ohio State is going to ground and pound Florida, man.
   886. cmd600 Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:54 PM (#4307102)
Tell me again how Ohio State is going to ground and pound Florida, man.

Tell me how a game six years ago, featuring zero Georgia teams, is relevant to the discussion that Georgia has no business playing for the national championship this year.

Now, if you want to argue that that Florida team was a deserving national champion, you're probably on the right path, though, considering what I've seen above, you'll probably end up talking about big their win at Vanderbilt was.
   887. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 06:11 PM (#4307120)
Listening to Paul Johnson on the radio today I forgot that A) that Maryland win was against a LB at QB and B) a local host bet his job that Tech would win. Saturday is going to be a slaughter.
   888. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: November 20, 2012 at 06:23 PM (#4307133)
Tell me how a game six years ago, featuring zero Georgia teams, is relevant to the discussion that Georgia has no business playing for the national championship this year.

So the problem here is that you can't read for comprehension?
   889. cmd600 Posted: November 20, 2012 at 09:10 PM (#4307212)
So the problem here is that you can't read for comprehension?

Non-responsive. You can talk all you want about past SEC champions. But that has no bearing on how good any of the SEC teams are now. And it sure as #### has nothing to do with a team that has looked pretty ugly in its only two games against teams worth a darn, which includes getting absolutely annihilated. So, I guess congrats on beating just one team, that also happens to be propped up due to an incredibly weak schedule.
   890. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM (#4308187)
Go irish beat southern cal
   891. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM (#4308189)
UT looked like they ate a huge meal and just wanted to nap. Lucky game was that close. TCU didn't play all that well either.
   892. AuntBea Posted: November 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM (#4308211)
I think that UT loss ended any hope K-State might have had for the title game. They needed a big win against a good looking Texas team.

Notre Dame is only favored by 5 and a half.
   893. Spivey Posted: November 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM (#4308213)
UT as a team didn't play that well. But really, the loss can pretty much entirely be blamed on David Ash. Despite having good numbers, he's just not a reliable player.
   894. AuntBea Posted: November 23, 2012 at 02:52 AM (#4308224)
Probably nobody cares about this, but I find it interesting that the BCS bowls (as a whole) might have almost zero options to choose from this year. Right now there are 6 SEC teams in the top 14. If all these win their last games (certainly not impossible, except for the SEC championship), the final BCS rankings might have 6 SEC and only 8 other teams in the top 14, 7 of the 8 which must be chosen for BCS bowls. (The rules are here). That means a team finishing in the top 14 is essentially guaranteed a BCS berth. Florida could probably lose and still stay in the top 14. If both Georgia & Alabama win this weekend, the SEC championship game won't knock either of them down past 14th.

Only one conference champ will likely be lower ranked than the top 14 (Big East). Take out the 4 SEC teams that can't go, and that leaves 7 slots for 8 remaining eligible teams. Oklahoma or K-State could be out of the BCS bowls with one more loss. Oklahoma State could be in. The beauty of it is that the bowls themselves might have almost no flexibility to choose.

Every non-SEC team currently ranked 6 to 21 has their own "BCS fate" in their hands.
   895. AuntBea Posted: November 23, 2012 at 03:06 AM (#4308225)
Now that I look more closely, if Rutgers and Louisville face each other at 10-1 a week from Saturday the winner stands an excellent chance of being in the top 14. That could potentially fill the last BCS slot.
   896. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 23, 2012 at 02:33 PM (#4308425)
a somewhat amusing article from a former nd football player
   897. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: November 23, 2012 at 02:58 PM (#4308433)
AuntBea:
Of course. The winner of that game has an autobid to the BCS, regardless of rank. Winner will goes to the orange bowl probably vs. Acc champ.
   898. AuntBea Posted: November 23, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4308462)
Of course. The winner of that game has an autobid to the BCS, regardless of rank. Winner will goes to the orange bowl probably vs. Acc champ.

I assume you are talking Rutgers/Louisville for the Big East title? I wasn't very clear. Yes, assuming they both win this weekend, the winner will get the big east title and go to the BCS. However, if the Big East winner ALSO ends up in the top 14, then potentially all the BCS team slots must be used on the top 14 teams, minus the 4 SEC teams that cannot go do to the max 2 from the same conference rule.

No bowl selection "snubs" would be possible.

Edit: except, of course, for the 4 SEC teams that will insist they should have been the second SEC team selected.
   899. Cowboy Popup Posted: November 23, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4308466)
Shawne Alston is proving today how devastating his injury was for West Virginia this year.
   900. JJ1986 Posted: November 23, 2012 at 05:41 PM (#4308476)
If Nebraska loses the Big Ten Championship, then a team outside the top 14 could gain an automatic spot that way.
Page 9 of 35 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.