Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 02, 2012

OTP: October 2012-THE RACE: As Candidates Prep, Attention in DC split between politics and baseball

While President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney bone up in Nevada and Colorado for Wednesday’s opening debate, back in the nation’s capital attention is split between the hard-fought presidential race and baseball playoffs.

The Nationals won the first division baseball championship for a Washington team since 1933 by clinching the National League East race Monday night.

Washington, D.C., has the only ballpark where so many Cabinet members, politicians and other luminaries routinely gather and where fans now are openly rooting for a particular president — one who served more than a century ago, Theodore Roosevelt.

“Let Teddy Win” banners and buttons are everywhere. Fans like 2008 GOP presidential nominee Sen. John McCain of Arizona say it’s time for Roosevelt’s 500-plus losing streak to end.

[...]

“Teddy, you are the victim of a vast left-wing conspiracy by the commie pinko libs in this town,” McCain said in a video played in the stadium Monday night. “But you can overcome that.”

The October 2012 “OT: Politics” thread starts ... now.

Joe Kehoskie Posted: October 02, 2012 at 02:14 PM | 6119 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nationals, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 35 of 62 pages ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 >  Last ›
   3401. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM (#4277945)
The gunships could be as low as hundreds of meters above the ground, and can direct fire very precisely.

What sort of precision do you think chain gun has from "hundreds of meters" away"? I am really going to enjoy this.
   3402. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM (#4277946)
The gunships could be as low as hundreds of meters above the ground, and can direct fire very precisely.

No they can't. A gunship is moving at over 200 mph and at a 1000 feet or so it is zipping past targets. You need to stop.

No rebuttal to Ia Drang?
   3403. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM (#4277947)
snapper's comments regarding war are substantially out of the mainstream of Catholicism. John Paul II, whatever else you might think of him, was a global advocate for peace, and worked his whole life to end the cycle of violence.

Of course they advocate for peace, that's their role.

But there has been no change in Catholic Just War doctrine, nor in the doctrine allowing killing in self-defense or defense of others. No one sins by killing in the line of duty, in the military, when directed by a legal national gov't.
   3404. BDC Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM (#4277948)
What happened to the accuracy of American ordnance between Ia Drang in 1965 and the Chinese embassy in Belgrade in 1999? (Or has that problem been fixed since 1999?)

In the Belgrade incident, the misdirected fire involved large buildings. In something like what you're proposing for Benghazi, snapper, the fire would have to be orders of magnitude more precise, and directed not at big immobile things but at individual humans in a shifting crowd. I don't understand.
   3405. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4277949)
You need to stop.

He can't. The idea that Obama specifically held back John Wayne and the cavalry from coming over the hill and saving the day is central to the current argument.
   3406. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4277950)

Not that precisely, not by a long shot. But than I'm just a former Air force pilot, so what do I know?
   3407. DA Baracus Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM (#4277951)
What sort of precision do you think chain gun has from "hundreds of meters" away"? I am really going to enjoy this.

You need to stop.

Forget it, he's on a roll.
   3408. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM (#4277952)
the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated.

Hmm. . . . a gunship firing thousands of rounds of lead into a city to protect two human lives. . . .
   3409. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM (#4277953)
Huh. 4 years of Catholic High School, and I totally missed the part where they explained that it is OK to kill lots of unarmed civilians as long as it helps you get the bad guy. I must have been sick that day.

Well, you should brush up on the principle of double effect. If you target the attackers, and other people are harmed as an unintended consequence, you are morally in the clear.

A good personal analogy is an ectopic pregnancy; It is morally permissable to remove the diseased fallopian tube, which will kill the baby, because the intent is not to kill the baby, it is to fix the medical condition.
   3410. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM (#4277954)
If the LAPD had, as you suggest, fired into the crowds at the LA riots, they absolutely would have been committing murder. You don't get to kill people just because they're rioting. But I guess that's more of a legal principle than a religious one, since I can't tell you how to interpret your holy text.

If they are burning buildings and killing people? Certainly you can fire on them. The "Riot Act" has been in force for centuries.

You order the crowd to disperse, you fire warning shots, and then if they still persist in violence, you fire on the crowd.

3411. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM (#4277955)
f you target the attackers, and other people are harmed as an unintended consequence, you are morally in the clear.

So, nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
   3412. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM (#4277956)
the good effect outweighs the bad effect in circumstances sufficiently grave to justify causing the bad effect and the agent exercises due diligence to minimize the harm

Hmm. . . . a gunship firing thousands of rounds of lead into a city to protect two human lives. . . .
   3413. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM (#4277957)
You order the crowd to disperse, you fire warning shots, and then if they still persist in violence, you fire on the crowd.

So if 3 people in the crowd are persisting in violence you get to slaughter them all? The people trying to help others, the people trying to flee the scene, the people trying to fend off those committing violence, the people protesting, all of them get to be gunned down?
   3414. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4277959)
If they are burning buildings and killing people? Certainly you can fire on them. The "Riot Act" has been in force for centuries.

Crispus Attucks really was lawfully killed then.
   3415. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4277960)
Not that precisely, not by a long shot. But than I'm just a former Air force pilot, so what do I know?

OK, if you know, what's the margin of error?
   3416. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM (#4277961)
If you target the attackers, and other people are harmed as an unintended consequence, you are morally in the clear.

Well, you need to brush up on the meaning of "unintended consequences."
   3417. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM (#4277962)

Yes, he was. The jury acquitted the British soldiers, defended by John Adams.
   3418. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM (#4277963)
You don't understand Christian theology. Killing in self-defense, or in defense of innocents is completely licit.

As long as you target those committing the violence, and have a reasonable chance of stopping them, you are morally in the clear.

We had to destroy the village in order to save it. And hey, how bout them Tigers!
   3419. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM (#4277964)
He can't. The idea that Obama specifically held back John Wayne and the cavalry from coming over the hill and saving the day is central to the current argument.

No. It would be far better for Obama if he had "sent in the cavalry". Americans always rally around the flag.

From a narrow political calculation, I would prefer they did what they did, nothing. But, that would be wrong. I'd rather we had tried to save American lives, even if it hurt my political side.
   3420. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM (#4277966)

Well, you need to brush up on the meaning of "unintended consequences."

Let me make this crystal clear to you.

One person in a crowd of 1000 is shooting at you. You return fire in self-defense, targeting the shooter. You are completely in the clear morally, for anyone who is inadvertently hit.

Even if you know innocents will be hit, you are still allowed to defend yourself, and are morally justified as long as you do not intend to shoot the innocents.
   3421. DA Baracus Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM (#4277967)
If you target the attackers, and other people are harmed as an unintended consequence, you are morally in the clear.

What's an acceptable ratio? If I hit 20 innocents but only one rioter, is that okay? What if I don't hit any attackers at all but hit innocents? Is that okay since I targeted them?
   3422. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM (#4277968)
Waiting for your description of the precision of a gunship at 200+MPH firing 2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute at 200+meters.
   3423. The District Attorney Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM (#4277969)
If Obama had ordered immediate support that saved those Americans it would have been a HUGE boost for him.
And if he had ordered immediate support that made things worse, it would have been a HUGE problem for him.

Which is what most people think would happen. Which is why that position isn't popular, which is why not going that route won't hurt Obama politically, which is what I'm trying to tell you.

EDIT:

Yes, he was.
One person in a crowd of 1000 is shooting at you. You return fire in self-defense, targeting the shooter. You are completely in the clear morally, for anyone who is inadvertently hit.

Even if you know innocents will be hit, you are still allowed to defend yourself, and are morally justified as long as you do not intend to shoot the innocents.
I don't think these are popular stances either.
   3424. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM (#4277970)
Do you all object to our consulate employees shooting back in self-defense too?

I'm sure they killed some "innocent civilians" (who just like to hang out at a fire-fight) too.

Eh, you're all ridiculous, I'm going outside.
   3425. greenback calls it soccer Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM (#4277971)
33 AD

I thought you had a Catholic education.
   3426. Drew (Primakov, Gungho Iguanas) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM (#4277972)

Who are you, The Illusive Man?
   3427. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM (#4277974)
Eh, you're all ridiculous

Not as ridiculous as someone suggesting we could precisely target fire from a gunship to rescue our boys, but enjoy your walk.
   3428. Steve Treder Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM (#4277975)
I would describe snapper's universes-separated-from-reality insanity here as hilarious, if it weren't so horrifying.
   3429. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4277977)
Waiting for your description of the precision of a gunship at 200+MPH firing 2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute at 200+meters.

All they needed was to clear an area around the consulate. That's what those plains were designed to do.

Even if they couldn't hit anything, but would just scare people, it would be worth trying. They mere presence of US aircraft would likely scare off most of the attackers.
   3430. The District Attorney Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM (#4277978)
enjoy your walk.
Well, did you?
   3431. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM (#4277979)
Yeah, there's nothing as easy as saving Americans by applying military force in chaotic situations. Piece of cake.
   3432. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM (#4277980)
I thought you had a Catholic education.

Just CCD unfortunately. 33AD is the "traditional" year of the Crucifixion/Ressurection. The Church dates from Pentecost of that year.
   3433. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM (#4277981)
Yeah, there's nothing as easy as saving Americans in chaotic situations. Piece of cake.

Better to try and fail, than not to try.
   3434. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM (#4277982)

Regardless of consequence or odds of success.
   3435. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4277983)

No. Can you recognize that there is an entire universe of difference between one man with a gun and an airborne gunship? What if the only weapon at hand was a nuke? Would it still be moral to flatten the entire city?

3436. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4277984)
Let me make this crystal clear to you.

Not according to the two christian views you've mentioned.
   3437. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4277988)
AC-130's were used in the battle of Fallujah and over 300 civilians lost their lives due to the attacks.
   3438. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM (#4277990)
That's what those plains were designed to do.

Unbelivable. Firing on a crowd in front of the consulate would guarantee significant fire on the consulate itself, and almost certainly result in the deaths of large numbers of people inside the building - you know, the folks we are trying to save. You really have no idea what you are talking about. To hit someone within a few meters of a building would generate literally thousands of rounds in the immediate surrounding area - measured in the thousands of square meters. Ducking behind a wall like they do in the movies doesn't work - the wall is disintegrated and things behind it shot to literal pieces.
   3439. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM (#4277991)
Christ, I sure hope that Romney brings snapper along as a talking points consultant for tomorrow night's debate. Not that it would particularly surprise me if he did.
   3440. CFiJ Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM (#4277992)

Not at something like this. If we massacred a bunch of civilians and saved the besieged Americans, we'd lose all kinds of international support, and give our enemies just the evidence they want to send recruitment skyrocketing, to encourage more riots of other embassies and installations. We would make the world overseas more dangerous for American servicemen, diplomats and staff, and ex-pats.

Now imagine we failed. We get all of the above plus the deaths of the Americans under attack, plus whatever casualties are likely to come out of the failed mission. Obama's political career is toast (and he probably can't go overseas for fears of being arrested and tried as a war criminal), and President Romney has to win back international support so we can maintain our overseas interests, and deal with increased terror activity.

Tactically, strategically, politically, geo-politically, morally, ethically -- going in there guns a-blazing is a dead-end. There's no "win" there.
   3441. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM (#4277995)
From a Marine report:
The AC-130, call sign “Basher” became a
ubiquitous and re-assuring presence over the city
at night. By using the IR fireflies and strobes
to mark friendly positions, Basher’s highly
destructive and accurate ordnance could be
brought to bare within 200 meters or less of
covered troops.

In addition, night employment is mainly preferred due
to the fact that most sensors aboard the AC-130 are
designed for use at night; using heat contrast or an IR
signature to locate a target. A large consideration for the
AC-130’s night employment is that it must circle at seven
to ten thousand feet above the objective area to be within
its optimal firing parameters

3442. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4277998)

I get the feeling that snapper would have cheered on the Ohio National Guard at Kent State, and might have been disappointed that so few students were killed.
   3443. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM (#4278000)

First, let's clarify, because you're not doing it for us. For pretty much everyone else in this discussion, and pretty much everyone else on the planet, actually, there's a huge gulf of difference between people in the compound using small arms fire in response to the attack, vs. sending in an AC-130 to mow down city blocks. (I know you want to claim that the AC-130 is capable of "precise" targeting* but you are simply factually incorrect in that belief. AC-130s are not precise weaponry systems, and you really should defer to the folks who know what they're talking about in this regard.)

Second, you are using a pie-in-the-sky, highly theoretical concept of "just war doctrine" to justify moral abnegation. This is one of those times your tendency to kneel and declare the will of the Authority to rule over all is making you make a fool out of yourself.

*The overstating of our military's ability to be "precise" is one of the greatest moral failings of our people, particularly our militarist folks on the right.
   3444. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM (#4278004)
the LAPD and Nat'l Guard should have fired on the crowds in the LA riots.
I've always gotten the impression that Snapper is the biggest fan of the lethal exercise of government power on these threads.
   3445. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4278008)
The overstating of our military's ability to be "precise" is one of the greatest moral failings of our people

It's the CSI syndrome. Teevee has created the notion that a computer database and a "scientific tests" montage with appropriate science background music will generate unassailable results in thirty seconds. Same thing for military strikes - pinpoint accuracy delivered on split second notice is the rule, not the exception.
   3446. OCF Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4278011)
The death of Ambassador Stevens and the other embassy employees was a tragedy. The conduct of U.S. policy in Libya is diminished by the loss of the skills of these men, especially Stevens.

But Ambassador Stevens died a hero - a hero to many Libyans. His death ignited a significant amount of anger among Libyans against those responsible. There was a later demonstration in Benghazi that resulted in the burning of the headquarters of the militia that might have been responsible and the exile of that militia from the city.

Meanwhile in Tripoli, Libyans are struggling to put together a government. They recently dismissed a prime minister - a political act by a parliament empowered to so dismiss him. The possibility of changing governments by political acts is a good thing, but democracy is messy. Having the U.S. direct massive force against Libyan in the street would not tend to steer the political situation towards better outcomes. As it is, I think Libya has a chance to become a better nation than it has been. We need to keep that larger picture in mind.
   3447. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:07 PM (#4278016)
I had no idea the Ten Commandments had clauses.

And penumbrae, no less.
   3448. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:07 PM (#4278018)
AC-130s are accurate* and designed in part to work in urban areas but they are not designed to operate in an urban environment on the fly. An operation involving AC-130s needs people who are trained to work with air support on the ground and with equipment to pull it off. Even with all of that AC-130s still need a buffer area between combatants and non-combatnants. The consulate in Libya did not have the personnel on the ground nor the equipment or space to use AC-130 effectively or in a manner that wouldn't create results worse than not using a gunship.

*compared to other combat systems
   3449. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:10 PM (#4278019)
In other political news, George McGovern died.

I never saw anyone vote for him.

Indeed, very few people did. More people probably listened to your average Ernie Harwell broadcast.
   3450. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:12 PM (#4278021)
BTW, this Benghazi thing is starting to look really bad for Obama & co. NY Post headline today: "THEY WATCHED THEM DIE".

IIRC, I haven't said a word on this topic. I'm simply reporting what I read in my morning paper.

The fact that your morning paper is the New York Post may be your first problem. They were Fox News before there was Fox News.
   3451. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:16 PM (#4278026)
AC-130s are accurate* and designed in part to work in urban areas but they are not designed to operate in an urban environment on the fly. An operation involving AC-130s needs people who are trained to work with air support on the ground and with equipment to pull it off. Even with all of that AC-130s still need a buffer area between combatants and non-combatnants. The consulate in Libya did not have the personnel on the ground nor the equipment or space to use AC-130 effectively or in a manner that wouldn't create results worse than not using a gunship.

Agreed on all points. Compared to a tactical nuke strike, pretty much all systems are "accurate." Compared to lobbing cruise missiles from a carrier group parked in the Medi, AC-130s are "accurate." But they're not *precise* in the way people banging this "why didn't Obama send in air support!?!" want them to be precise. Even at best, with a tactical deployment of Marines on the ground to guide the fire, they're still imprecise. In the real situation of Benghazi that night? You'd be sending in airborne tanks to chain-gun down city blocks. The idea that doing that, in a crowded urban environment, is the *moral* act (because two Americans were in danger somewhere in that mess...)

Well, that's the sort of thing that only Snapper seems capable of coming up with and defending with any passion. Even JoeK seems to be passing on this one, because he probably recognizes the fact that these ex post facto demands that the admin should have done something that it didn't do is little more than petty partisan politics played as a dancing jig on four brave patriot graves.
   3452. Swoboda is freedom Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:41 PM (#4278037)

The U.S. military has repeatedly shown the ability to direct artillery and air support fire within 10 meters of besieged US personnel, with no harm to the Americans.

Read up on the battle of the Ia Drang valley if you want an example.

This is crazy talk. Artillery fire is incredibly accurate but only after observations and corrections. The first shot is always called in and corrected for, before firing for effect. They don't just start blasting away from the first shot, especially when there is the potential for friendly fire. The first round is often smoke, rather than a lethal round.

The called in the really close support at Ia Drang only because they were being overrun. There were plenty of friendly fire casualties in that battle because they had to call it in so close. It is dangerous.

My uncle actually won a Silver Star in Korea because he called in a artillery strike on his position. They were being overrun by Chinese. You don't get a Silver Star for doing that if it were safe.

3453. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:41 PM (#4278038)
The fact that your morning paper is the New York Post may be your first problem. They were Fox News before there was Fox News.

Being as how they've both got the same Daddy, that shouldn't be too surprising.
   3454. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:55 PM (#4278048)
RCP now has Obama at +0.2, which is about the 10th time in the past few days that the leader has switched sides. Nothing particularly newsworthy about this.

But what's really weird are these two tracking polls:

Gallup: Romney +7, tied for his largest lead yet

Investors Business Daily / TIPP: Obama +6, his largest lead yet

I await Joe's deconstruction of this with bated breath.....

3455. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 01:58 PM (#4278050)
Clearly, investors and businesses are showing their liberal bias.
   3456. Lassus Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:22 PM (#4278059)
John Paul II, whatever else you might think of him, was a global advocate for peace, and worked his whole life to end the cycle of violence.

You know you were raised by a Polish family when even though you're an atheist you know the full name of Karol Jozef Wojtyla.
   3457. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:37 PM (#4278069)
But what's really weird are these two tracking polls:
Gallup: Romney +7, tied for his largest lead yet
Investors Business Daily / TIPP: Obama +6, his largest lead yet

Also noteworthy, the race is tied, 47-47, in the NBC/Wall Street Journal Poll, erasing a 3-point Obama lead from before the debates. I believe this is the first time Obama has not held a lead in the NBC/WSJ Poll.

As for tracking polls, Rasmussen continues to have Romney up 2%. Seems like those that have been most off-base here were those insisting that race was over in September (or earlier!).
   3458. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4278071)
As for tracking polls, Rasmussen continues to have Romney up 2%. Seems like those that have been most off-base here were those insisting that race was over in September (or earlier!).

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/
   3459. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4278073)
What does the electoral map look like?
   3460. Steve Treder Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:50 PM (#4278078)
The nitwit Jennifer Rubin was insisting on Reliable Sources this morning that the polling rally Romney/Ryan enjoyed following the first debate has not been halted and reversed. As someone put it in a recent commentary, when faced with bad news, those on the left tend to respond with despair, and those on the right with delusion.
   3461. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:52 PM (#4278079)
What does the electoral map look like?

A bunch of states colored red and blue. But that's not important right now.
   3462. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 21, 2012 at 02:56 PM (#4278081)
The nitwit Jennifer Rubin . . .

The constant name calling really adds a lot to the thread.

3463. Steve Treder Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:00 PM (#4278082)

I apologize.

3464. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:02 PM (#4278085)
It's no secret Jennifer Rubin has been carrying water for Romney since the campaign's start. Whenever Boston wants an opponent knee-capped, Dem or not, she is ready.

And establishment DC finds it unseemly:
That Jen Rubin, the Washington Post's conservative opinion blogger, is enthusiastically pro-Mitt Romney -- even, some have argued, an arm for the Romney campaign -- is more or less taken for granted in Washington. But her support for the candidate became notable earlier this week when President Obama's senior campaign strategist David Axelrod called "Mitt's mouthpiece" "sick" for tweeting that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was a "doormat."

...There's a widespread sense among the Beltway press corps that Rubin's constant defense and support of Romney is somehow tarnishing the Post's brand.
   3465. Steve Treder Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4278086)
A more appropriate characterization of Jennifer Rubin would be "fact-challenged."
   3466. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4278089)
The nitwit Jennifer Rubin

I apologize.

As you should. Coming from a man as learned as you, tautology is well nigh unforgivable.
   3467. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:11 PM (#4278090)
It's no secret Jennifer Rubin has been carrying water for Romney

How is that any different than the willingness of numerous Washington Post writers, not all of them opinion bloggers like Rubin, to reflexively defend Obama. Wasn't there a Media Matters e-mail indicating that Greg Sargent "would write anything you give him"? Seems like selective outrage based on which candidate/party you favor - which is much of this thread, too.
   3468. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:13 PM (#4278091)
A bunch of states colored red and blue. But that's not important right now.

And yet national polls are?
   3469. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:15 PM (#4278092)
3464:

What's funny about that is that the Beltway press corps is just noticing this "tarnishing the Post's brand" now. Fred Hiatt's been making a laughingstock of the Post's editorial pages for years; he hired Marc Thiessen, for chrissakes.
   3470. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:18 PM (#4278094)
How is that any different than the willingness of numerous Washington Post writers, not all of them opinion bloggers like Rubin, to reflexively defend Obama.

Rubin's bias isn't mostly mythical?
   3471. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:18 PM (#4278095)
And yet national polls are?

I was paraphrasing Airplane.
   3472. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:21 PM (#4278097)
I was paraphrasing Airplane.

Anyone that missed the Airplane reference should have to take a week long time-out from the thread.

(Anyone too young to get the Airplane reference shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.)
   3473. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:23 PM (#4278099)
Well, I was paraphrasing Battleship Potemkin.
   3474. Joe Kehoskie Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:23 PM (#4278100)

The liberals here are beyond parody. Yesterday I got bashed for calling "formerly dp" a coward for hiding behind an alias, and now today he and his buddies spent 100 comments defending Obama's complete passivity in response to the Benghazi attack, as if the lives of Libyan rioters were more important than those of U.S. personnel. The extent to which liberals can invent phony moral equivalence would be impressive if it weren't so pathetic — and cowardly.

The nitwit Jennifer Rubin was insisting on Reliable Sources this morning that the polling rally Romney/Ryan enjoyed following the first debate has not been halted and reversed. As someone put it in a recent commentary, when faced with bad news, those on the left tend to respond with despair, and those on the right with delusion.

Well, Nate Silver insists that state-level polls are much more important than the national trackers, and Romney seems to be making gains at the state level. Aside from big leads in North Carolina and Missouri, RCP has Romney leading in Florida, leading in Colorado, leading in New Hampshire, and tied in Virginia, while Romney is down just 2.1 in Ohio, just 2.4 in Iowa, and just 2.8 in Wisconsin. Romney's momentum might have slowed, but I don't see any evidence that Romney's momentum has been "reversed," as Treder seems to be claiming.
   3475. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:24 PM (#4278101)
(Anyone too young to get the Airplane reference shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.)

Surely, you must be joking!
   3476. Joe Kehoskie Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:29 PM (#4278104)
Since McCoy has been slacking off, a quick update on early and absentee voting in Ohio:

“Four years ago, Democrats made up about 42 percent of the early and absentee vote while Republicans made up 22 percent. Through Wednesday, however, the margin has narrowed: Democrats account for 36 percent of the early and absentee vote while Republicans make up for 29 percent.” — source

In other words, Dems have gone from a Dem+20 advantage in 2008 to a Dem+7 advantage in 2012. I'm sure McCoy will be along any minute to explain how a decrease from Dem+20 to Dem+7 isn't, in fact, evidence of declining Dem enthusiasm in Ohio.
   3477. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:30 PM (#4278105)
Surely, you must be joking!

Don't call me Shirley.
   3478. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:31 PM (#4278106)
as if the lives of Libyan rioters were more important than those of U.S. personnel

I was trying to convey my belief that from a religious standpoint, I think they are. But I'm not religious myself, so I backed out of that part of the conversation to a more general position that the police should not fire machine guns into crowds, even if the crowds are rioting.

Sorry if that's pathetic and cowardly.

(EDIT: Well, I think the lives of people are supposed to be equal in God's eyes, regardless of what country they're from)
   3479. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:32 PM (#4278107)
I was wondering when JoKe would wander in on snapper's side of the "slaughter hundreds of protesters with the magic AC130s" discussion and throw his own illogic bombs. Especially nice touch was using the word "cowardly" when defending the position of firing on some unarmed protesters. Well played.

3480. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4278109)
(EDIT: Well, I think the lives of people are supposed to be equal in God's eyes, regardless of what country they're from)

According to snapper, not if they don't pray to a god with the same name, or hold land that people REALLY want.
   3481. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4278110)
I'm sure McCoy will be along any minute to explain how a decrease from Dem+20 to Dem+7 isn't, in fact, evidence of declining Dem enthusiasm in Ohio.

Um, how are % evidence of a decline in enthusiasm? Roughly the same amount of Dems are doing absentee and early balloting this year as they did in 2008. The difference is that this year more Reps are getting those ballots as opposed to 2008.
   3482. The District Attorney Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4278112)
Yesterday I got bashed for calling "formerly dp" a coward for hiding behind an alias, and now today he and his buddies spent 100 comments defending Obama's complete passivity in response to the Benghazi attack
Wow, great point.
   3483. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:37 PM (#4278113)
I was wondering when JoKe would wander in on snapper's side of the "slaughter hundreds of protesters with the magic AC130s" discussion and throw his own illogic bombs. Especially nice touch was using the word "cowardly" when defending the position of firing on some unarmed protesters. Well played.

Kehoskie is an idiot and should be put on ignore immediately, until such time as he takes his troll act elsewhere.

Snapper is a quality member of this community with some abhorrent beliefs on occasion.

I assure you that if a crowd of religious zealots marched on the Iranian embassy in DC and Iranian forces fired into a the crowd Snapper and the idiot would change their tunes quickly.
   3484. spike Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:38 PM (#4278114)
The U.S. military has repeatedly shown the ability to direct artillery and air support fire within 10 meters of besieged US personnel, with no harm to the Americans.

There isn't a standoff weapon in the US arsenal that doesn't have a zone of lethality >10m. Even if perfectly aimed every time, concussion, shrapnel, and ricochet will kill you far further away than that, and I assure you even weapons fired from point blank are not perfectly aimed every time. You have zero knowledge of how ordnance works to say this. I mean, this is such a flat lie or show of ignorance, your "military history" books must consist of Sgt. Rock comics.
   3485. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:38 PM (#4278115)
. . . when defending the position of firing on some unarmed protesters.

Hasn't it been determined that there wasn't a protest at the consulate?
   3486. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:41 PM (#4278118)
Well, Nate Silver insists that state-level polls are much more important than the national trackers, and Romney seems to be making gains at the state level. Aside from big leads in North Carolina and Missouri, RCP has Romney leading in Florida, leading in Colorado, leading in New Hampshire, and tied in Virginia, while Romney is down just 2.1 in Ohio, just 2.4 in Iowa, and just 2.8 in Wisconsin. Romney's momentum might have slowed, but I don't see any evidence that Romney's momentum has been "reversed," as Treder seems to be claiming.

This liberal agrees (figured I'd note the occasion for posterity up front).

This race looks pretty close to a tossup to me. Obama has more potential paths to victory, particularly if he can win Ohio or claw his way back in Florida, so I suppose he's got a slight edge overall given the parity on the national level, but there's a good eight states where anything could happen (yes, state polls are ultimately where the action is, but Romney's tightening the race in state polls seems to bear out the axiom [espoused by Silver and others], that state polls tend to increasingly fall in line with national polling with time).

My nightmare scenario is that in which Romney becomes the first R to win the White House without winning Ohio, which seems more plausible than it once did.
   3487. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:42 PM (#4278119)
. . . is an idiot and should be put on ignore immediately, until such time as he takes his troll act elsewhere.

There is no bigger troll anywhere than Sam Hutcheson, yet he wants to ban others?
   3488. Joe Kehoskie Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:42 PM (#4278120)
I assure you that if a crowd of religious zealots marched on the Iranian embassy in DC and Iranian forces fired into a the crowd Snapper and the idiot would change their tunes quickly.

Oh, so "marching" is all they did in Libya. Who knew? I guess Amb. Stevens & Co. were "marched" to death rather than assaulted with RPGs and other weapons.
   3489. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:45 PM (#4278121)
Latest IBD poll gives Obama a 5.7-point lead nationally. I'd give that about as much weight as I give Gallup's latest, which is to say "not much," absent corroboration from other outfits.
   3490. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:46 PM (#4278122)
Hasn't it been determined that there wasn't a protest at the consulate?

No. One assumes the "send in the AC130s" crowd means send them into the second compound. I assume they don't think ACs could have been magically transported to the first compound in the first hour or two of the attack.
   3491. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:46 PM (#4278123)
There is no bigger troll anywhere than Sam Hutcheson, yet he wants to ban others?

Your inability to read is duly noted.
   3492. The Yankee Clapper Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:47 PM (#4278124)
My nightmare scenario is that in which Romney becomes the first R to win the White House without winning Ohio, which seems more plausible than it once did.

The possibility of Romney winning Wisconsin does open up some non-Ohio opportunities for victory. Winning Iowa & Nevada might also do the trick, assuming other states break as needed. Still, Ohio is likely the key state for both campaigns at this point.
   3493. Morty Causa Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:48 PM (#4278125)
I never saw anyone vote for him.

McGovern got 29 million votes in 1972, and I bet everyone who voted for him were proud they did. And stayed proud. Richard Nixon got over 47 million votes, and I've never heard anyone admit they voted for him--certainly not without gulping. And I say that because I was one.
   3494. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:49 PM (#4278126)
With such a focus on Battleground States, I'm surprised there hasn't been a concerted effort (by both parties) to move voters into contested areas. Ohio's tricky, but surely you could get people to move to Florida if it meant a better chance of winning the election.
   3495. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:51 PM (#4278129)
The possibility of Romney winning Wisconsin does open up some non-Ohio opportunities for victory. Winning Iowa & Nevada might also do the trick, assuming other states break as needed. Still, Ohio is likely the key state for both campaigns at this point.

Well, Florida more so for the Romney campaign, if you're talking sine qua non; there's pretty much no way Romney wins without Florida. Ohio's slightly less crucial for the reasons you stated (and of course it's got fewer EVs).

3496. Drew (Primakov, Gungho Iguanas) Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:52 PM (#4278130)
Real glad we spent about a million hours self-genuflecting over Penn State, yet can't seem to muster interest in a situation that's probably 50 times worst.

Instead, we have the usual sniping.
   3497. Joe Kehoskie Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:55 PM (#4278132)
Catching up from the last page:

But to get back to my original point, what's the upside of any kind of insult, no matter what the degree it is intended to denigrate?

I'm not interested at all in hurling insults. If I wanted to do that, there are far better sites for it.

In my case, I've ratcheted up the level of snark I use here — and by "here" I mean the politics threads and not BBTF in general — in response to the amount of opprobrium hurled my way. I don't like the tone of these threads, but I'm not a pacifist. If people throw rocks at me, I'll throw rocks back at them. Hell, given that non-liberals are outnumbered here by about 10 to 1, I might even throw hand grenades back at them occasionally.

Bottom line, it's absurd for the liberals here to hurl vitriol day after day — and to sit by quietly while Sam threatens neck-stabbings and "double taps to the forehead" — and then whine because the non-liberals don't talk like U.S. senators. I doubt anyone on this site has had more crap thrown at them than Ray, David, and snapper, and yet it's the liberals who whine when someone says "typical liberal" or "typical Obama supporter." Physicians, heal thyselves.
   3498. Spahn Insane Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:57 PM (#4278134)
I've seen it suggested (by Silver, among others) that Obama's campaign should consider pulling out of Florida. Even though Obama has several paths to victory without Florida and Romney doesn't, I disagree; for one thing, it's precisely BECAUSE Florida's so crucial to Romney that Obama should contest it and force Romney to devote resources to it that he could otherwise use in Dem-leaning firewall states like IA, WI, OH and NV; two, even though FL leans R, it's not like it's hopeless for Obama--polls have shown a wider pro-Dem gap with RVs as compared to LVs than most other states have, suggesting there's some upside in campaigning hard there.

I agree that Obama's campaigning in NC is a waste of time and money--he's not winning NC unless he's performing a lot better nationally than he is now, and it's not likely to be a decisive state for either candidate.
   3499. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: October 21, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4278136)
I doubt anyone on this site has had more crap thrown at them than Ray, David, and snapper

If you had a time machine, I'd tell you to go back to when David and RETARDO were viciously attacking each other all over the place. But as it is, you can either take my word for it or try to find the specific threads with Google.
   3500. Lassus Posted: October 21, 2012 at 04:00 PM (#4278138)
I'm not interested at all in hurling insults.

LOL. That's your position? I'm embarrassed for you.

(And, while I'm sure you're right about snapper and Ray, I'm not entirely sure David gets a lot of actual ABUSE from anyone but Sam.)
Page 35 of 62 pages ‹ First  < 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season
for his generous support.