Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 01, 2014

OT: Politics, August 2014: DNC criticizes Christie’s economic record with baseball video

As Gov. Chris Christie prepares to cap off his trip to New Hampshire tonight with a fundraiser at a minor-league baseball game, the Democratic National Committee has released a online video taking a swing at the Republican governor’s handling of New Jersey’s economy.

The clip is modeled after an old-time newsreel — the kind that would have been shown in movie houses when Babe Ruth ruled the baseball diamond in the 1920s.

It notes that under Christie — a possible candidate for the Republican nomination for president in 2016 — New Jersey has among the highest property taxes and slowest job growth in the U.S.

“On his economic record, Chris Christie strikes out,” the video’s narrator says.

Bitter Mouse Posted: August 01, 2014 at 09:10 AM | 6359 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: new jersey, politics, video

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 20 of 64 pages ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last ›
   1901. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:28 PM (#4767492)
I vaguely remember a somewhat similar hypothetical from Criminal Justice 101 - Brady Death Ruled A Homicide; Hinkley Could Be Charged:
The death of James Brady has been ruled a homicide resulting from John Hinckley Jr.'s attempted 1981 assassination of President Ronald Reagan, the Virginia Medical Examiner ruled Friday.

As a result, D.C. Metropolitan Police are investigating the death of the former White House press secretary and gun control icon. Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity for the shooting that left Brady partially paralyzed.

Although there is no Statute of Limitations on murder in most jurisdictions, and I believe Hinkley got off light, I might be reluctant to prosecute.

1902. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:41 PM (#4767495)
I am so excited for GenCon.

Much, much worse than a confession of anti-Semitism.

Jealousy is an ugly emotion critter-friend.
   1903. Lassus Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:43 PM (#4767498)
As for the ignorance I referred to; Like the flabbergasting notion that neocon doesn't mean Jew.

Today is the first I'd ever heard that it did. Perhaps I run in the wrong circles.

EDIT: Wait, all those negatives are a little twirly. Today was the first time I'd heard that that neo-con actually MEANT Jew.
   1904. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:43 PM (#4767499)
So is JAP meaning Jewish American Princess a common acronym, or is it pretty exclusive to upstate New York?

Well it means Jewish American Princess in and around NYC*, but in upstate NY they seem to think it refers to females from NYC in general....

*I've also heard Jews use it to refer to women, in that context I don't think the intent is anti-Semitic, misogynistic sure, but anti-Semitic no.
   1905. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:47 PM (#4767500)
Again, Cheney isn't a neocon.

why don't we take a poll on that
   1906. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:48 PM (#4767501)
As for the ignorance I referred to; Like the flabbergasting notion that neocon doesn't mean Jew.

Again, Dick Cheney will be pleased to hear he's a member.

Cheney DID shoot an old man in the temple.
   1907. JE (Jason) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:49 PM (#4767502)
*I've also heard Jews use it to refer to women, in that context I don't think the intent is anti-Semitic, misogynistic sure, but anti-Semitic no.

Why "misogynistic?" Up at SUNY Albany, we used the term when referencing overly materialistic and annoying Jewish women. Some were hot, most where not.
   1908. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:52 PM (#4767504)
Why "misogynistic?"

When I heard Jews use it I got the impression they were using it in the place of "b####" or "c###"
   1909. JE (Jason) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:58 PM (#4767507)
I got the impression than when Jews used it they were using it in the place of \"#####\" or "c###"

Some Jews, maybe. Me? I got rejected by all types, not just JAPs.
   1910. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 08, 2014 at 06:58 PM (#4767508)
The term "JAP" goes back far enough, and was widespread enough, that a black comedy movie titled "BAPS" (meaning Black American Princesses) was released in 1997.
   1911. Greg K Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:04 PM (#4767512)
EDIT: Wait, all those negatives are a little twirly. Today was the first time I'd heard that that neo-con actually MEANT Jew.

I think it depends on how deep into political discourse you are.

For the superficially informed public I'd bet when someone says "neo-con", the first thing that pops into the head is "Dick Cheney".

For the people more involved in this kinds of discussions, and cognizant of the history behind them, the association between Jewish figures and neo-cons is probably clearer.

I'd suspect that the overlap between these two groups causes all sorts of confusion, and opportunity for sly anti-semitism.

[EDIT: in case anyone is curious, I was in the former camp until a few minutes ago]
   1912. JE (Jason) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:05 PM (#4767513)
The term "JAP" goes back far enough, and was widespread enough, that a black comedy movie titled "BAPS" (meaning Black American Princesses) was released in 1997.

I'm pretty sure I first heard "JAP" at summer camp in the early 80s. A few years later, I discovered that Brooklyn JAPs couldn't hold a candle to the ones from LonGisland, particularly Great Neck, Dix Hills, and The Five Towns.*

* My rabbi used to enjoy calling The Five Towns "The Houses that Gucci Built."
   1913. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:07 PM (#4767515)

In the early 80's I had a Jewish GF who used to tell JAP jokes at the drop of a hat: "What's a JAP's favorite wine?" - "I don't WANNA go to Miami!"; etc.

I might add that she was a big time Republican whose idols were Ronald Reagan and Bob Dole, so if she was a self-hating Jew, she wasn't in the modern liberal wing of that group. (smile)
   1914. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:08 PM (#4767516)
LonGisland

First time I ever heard that was from a Catholic ROTC captain in the early 60's, who was actually from out there.
   1915. JE (Jason) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:13 PM (#4767518)
[EDIT: in case anyone is curious, I was in the former camp until a few minutes ago]

Wow, you need to play catch-up. In between next year's BBTF softball game and chill-out session at the local watering hole, we'll stop by Commentary's offices for a quick remedial course.
   1916. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4767521)
As an aside my most surprising discovery of someone being Jewish is my good friend from high school who I did not find out he was Jewish until years later.

Hell, I went out with a girl named Feldman in 10th grade, and it took me forever to figure out why she'd only want to go out on Saturday nights instead of Friday nights. And to top it off, the first movie we went to see, at her suggestion, was Exodus. But then I'd already seen The Diary of Anne Frank and I also didn't make any real connection between the Holocaust and our largely Jewish high school. Being raised in an agnostic family where Sundays were spent reading 3 newspapers doesn't always lend itself to a heightened state of religious awareness.
   1917. Greg K Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:20 PM (#4767522)
Wow, you need to play catch-up. In between next year's BBTF softball game and chill-out session at the local watering hole, we'll stop by Commentary's offices for a quick remedial course.

Yeah as mentioned at the pub my knowledge of post-1918 politics (or anything for that matter) is kind of weak, need to soak it in. It's why I'm here!
   1918. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:21 PM (#4767524)

If GregK's a greenhorn, I hope you'll lend him a set of ear filters. A Commentary shouting match can rival a Camden Yards loudspeaker.
   1919. BDC Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:26 PM (#4767528)
Will somebody schedule these &^$%*^ softball games for a time I can actually be in New York? Y'all are missing not only my scintillating opinions but my switch-hitting abilities and solid defense at 1B or 2B.
   1920. GregD Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:34 PM (#4767531)
I have been gone from NYC most of the summer but would be more than game for a bar meetup in September.
   1921. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 08:18 PM (#4767553)
I have been gone from NYC most of the summer but would be more than game for a bar meetup in September.
Knowing the anti-semites around here, they'll schedule it for Rosh Hashanah.
   1922. tshipman Posted: August 08, 2014 at 08:21 PM (#4767555)
Knowing the anti-semites around here, they'll schedule it for Rosh Hashanah.

Is that what they call the neo-con meetup?
   1923. CrosbyBird Posted: August 08, 2014 at 09:07 PM (#4767572)
Not seeing that logic. If 90% of Native Americans don't have a problem, maybe the 10% should be ignored. Not too many things that you can get a 90% majority on in any group.

Doing the right thing needs no majority.

Cultural appropriation and the acceptance of it are harmful to society. It is something we ought to know better than to do as a general principle.
   1924. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 08, 2014 at 09:23 PM (#4767581)
Politics can be unpredictable - Iowa Race and Control of the U. S. Senate Could Turn on Chicken Dispute:
The battle for control of the U.S. Senate could come down to a dispute between two neighbors in this heartland hamlet over four plump, wander-prone hens. This spring, Pauline Hampton’s chickens roamed onto Bruce and Carolyn Braley’s vacation property on tranquil Holiday Lake. Hampton said she did not know this until she walked over one day to offer Carolyn a dozen fresh eggs. To which she said her neighbor replied, “We aren’t going to accept your eggs — and we have filed a formal complaint against you.”

Carolyn took her complaint to their neighborhood homeowners’ association board meeting in May. Her husband, Bruce, then called the association’s lawyer, Thomas Lacina, to say that he believed “chickens are not pets and should not be permitted at Holiday Lake,” and that he wanted to “avoid a litigious situation,” according to an e-mail Lacina wrote. Braley denied that he threatened a lawsuit.
. . .
Another neighbor, William Nagel, who sits on the homeowners association board, said, “Buddy, we’re here in Iowa. We talk like men here and we act like men. Usually, a man’s word is like gold. A handshake is a contract. Neighbors are neighbors, and if you’ve got a problem with your neighbor, you talk it out.”

Looks like the Dems got lots and lots a' trouble. . . .Trouble with a capital "T".

1925. Lassus Posted: August 08, 2014 at 09:26 PM (#4767582)
Meredith Wilson has nothing on you, Clapper.

Wait I just read what you quoted. WTF is wrong with people?
   1926. Swoboda is freedom Posted: August 08, 2014 at 09:50 PM (#4767589)
The battle for control of the U.S. Senate could come down to a dispute between two neighbors in this heartland hamlet over four plump, wander-prone hens.

Chickens are nasty dirty animals that make a lot of noise in the early hours. I would not want one nearby.
   1927. CraigK Posted: August 08, 2014 at 10:20 PM (#4767593)
Chickens are nasty dirty animals that make a lot of noise in the early hours. I would not want one nearby.

They're moronic disease infested vermin that we would have run off to extinction 10,000 years ago if only they didn't taste so damn good.
   1928. Dan The Mediocre Posted: August 08, 2014 at 10:24 PM (#4767595)

The city I live in decided to allow up to 4 hens in a yard, and so my neighbor decided to get 3. I haven't had any issues with them, although my son does enjoy going into the backyard to yell "I'm eating your friends!" whenever we eat chicken.
   1929. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 10:46 PM (#4767599)
Cultural appropriation and the acceptance of it are harmful to society. It is something we ought to know better than to do as a general principle.
Cultural appropriation is not harmful to society; it's where society comes from.
   1930. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 08, 2014 at 10:54 PM (#4767601)
Cultural appropriation is not harmful to society; it's where society comes from.

Not to mention at least half the singers in the R&R Hall of Fame.
   1931. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 09, 2014 at 12:20 AM (#4767613)
Wait I just read what you quoted. WTF is wrong with people?

Braley seems to have a way of putting people off. He dismissed Iowa's popular senior Senator as "a farmer without a law degree" at a fundraiser with out-of-state trial lawyers - which may reinforce the negatives that come from threatening to litigate over your neighbor's chickens. Who knows, maybe next week he'll tell folks that Field of Dreams was the worst movie he's ever seen.
   1932. GordonShumway Posted: August 09, 2014 at 02:00 AM (#4767627)
btw GregD:

I largely agree with your points about academia that you posted prior to the last several hundred posts or so that have been posted by various other regulars here in regards to people's tolerance and bigotry. Looking back at my points before that, I'd like to flatter myself and think I had some valid bedrock points, but regardless I was too caught up in trying to prove them and overreached and ended up saying some ridiculous things. Nonetheless, I really should post less spur of the moment, stream of conscious stuff.

Anyway, thanks for your input; it's good getting a better view from the inside.
   1933. GregD Posted: August 09, 2014 at 02:09 AM (#4767628)
Gordon, You had some very valid and interesting bedrock points. I enjoyed it. Let's do it again soon.
   1934. Guapo Posted: August 09, 2014 at 09:17 AM (#4767650)
Another neighbor, William Nagel, who sits on the homeowners association board, said, “Buddy, we’re here in Iowa. We talk like men here and we act like men. Usually, a man’s word is like gold. A handshake is a contract. Neighbors are neighbors, and if you’ve got a problem with your neighbor, you talk it out.”

Looks like William Nagel has a problem with his neighbor, but instead of talking it out with him, he trashed him to a reporter from the Washington Post. Could be a real problem for his reelection campaign to the homeowners association board.

/clappered
   1935. Lassus Posted: August 09, 2014 at 09:32 AM (#4767659)
Am I the only one who finds that ruling Jim Brady's death a homicide is an especially stupid case of Reagan hero-worship?
   1936. BDC Posted: August 09, 2014 at 09:41 AM (#4767663)
Am I the only one who finds that ruling Jim Brady's death a homicide is an especially stupid case of Reagan hero-worship?

Not sure. Brady is more a hero on the left than the right (though Reagan himself late in life endorsed some of Brady's gun-control efforts). I wonder how many deaths are ruled homicides under such circumstances, whether any amount to more than technicalities, or whether any are publicized like this one when they are.
   1937. Lassus Posted: August 09, 2014 at 09:54 AM (#4767664)
I don't really even consider it political hero-worship, just overall and nostalgic. But without that, this whole HOMICIDE thing would not have happened, I imagine.
   1938. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 09, 2014 at 09:58 AM (#4767665)
I've never quite understood why poor marksmanship in the form of "attempted" murder is given a lesser sentence than the real thing, at least when it's clear that the intent was to kill.
   1939. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 10:00 AM (#4767666)

Seems like an odd decision, but I doubt it has much to do with Reagan-worship.

The people who love Ronnie and the people who like Brady don't overlap much since Brady became a gun-control icon.
   1940. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 10:00 AM (#4767668)
I've never quite understood why poor marksmanship in the form of "attempted" murder is given a lesser sentence than the real thing, at least when it's clear that the intent was to kill.

Because you want an incentive not to finish the guy off.
   1941. bunyon Posted: August 09, 2014 at 10:18 AM (#4767671)
I've read of other cases like Brady's being ruled homicide. The vic doesn't usually last 33 years but more like 11. In fact, 11 comes to mind because I'm quite sure there was a woman shot in the head, who never regained full function and did, in fact, die of complications of the injuries 11 years later. I want to say this was NC. It seems to me you shouldn't get credit because your victim didn't die right away. Not knowing the file on Brady, I have no way of knowing if his death was related to his injuries (directly) or just an older guy croaking. If the former, though, this should absolutely be ruled a homicide.
   1942. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 09, 2014 at 10:40 AM (#4767672)

Do you really think that's why Hinckley didn't finish the job(s)?

Okay, you may rightly note that most attempted murder victims don't have Secret Service protection, but you also have to consider that there's a much stronger incentive already to finish the job. Dead men tell no tales, and in the heat of the moment that's likely to be more what a would-be murderer is thinking of than the disparity in sentencing, especially in states without the death penalty.
   1943. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: August 09, 2014 at 10:55 AM (#4767674)
Are you sure, Jason? Apparently if I call out a crooked lawyer, I am equivalent to someone discussing blood libel.

This all seems to boil down to a conflation of "shyster," which has no history of being deployed as an antisemitic slur, and "Shylock," which is a classic case example of the "greedy Jew" stereotype in literature. They aren't the same term, obviously.
   1944. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: August 09, 2014 at 10:57 AM (#4767675)
Wait, all those negatives are a little twirly. Today was the first time I'd heard that that neo-con actually MEANT Jew.

People who are looking to be offended by any criticism of neocon policy will often revert to the "if you don't like neoconservatism, you hate Jews" argument. It's not a new tactic. It is still a stupid one. But stupidity never stopped anyone. (See also the last three pages of TGF's obvious trolling.)
   1945. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: August 09, 2014 at 10:59 AM (#4767676)
I got rejected by all types

One does not need to hate Jews to be uninterested in dating Jason.
   1946. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 11:08 AM (#4767679)
Snapper is correct. For all other crimes, attempt is considered the same level offense as the underlying crime. But homicide is different, because it's the top offense. (Note that Andy's initial question didn't even make sense; if it wasn't clear that the intent was to kill, it would be assault, not attempted homicide.)

Do you really think that's why Hinckley didn't finish the job(s)?
No. But what does that have to do with anything? As people have tried to explain to you repeatedly at nauseam over the years, law is not ad hoc. It has nothing to do with Hinckley. That's the rule for the offense of attempted homicide, not for a particular attempted homicide.
Okay, you may rightly note that most attempted murder victims don't have Secret Service protection, but you also have to consider that there's a much stronger incentive already to finish the job.
Right; that's the whole point. And so this the counter-incentive.
   1947. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 11:16 AM (#4767682)
Bunyan is correct in 1941; this is nothing special and has nothing to do with Reagan. At common-law, the rule was "a year and a day"; if the person died of his injuries within that timeframe, it was a homicide; if he didn't, it wasn't. But that was simply a practical limitation, based on limited (or no) science. The idea was that, in general, after that time span the death was too remote to attribute the death to the attack. But with more modern science, where we can say that the injuries led to the death (at least in theory) many jurisdictions have abolished that rule and say that any death - no matter how distant - attributed to the assault is a homicide.
   1948. Lassus Posted: August 09, 2014 at 11:36 AM (#4767686)
Bunyan is correct in 1941; this is nothing special and has nothing to do with Reagan.

I will respectfully disagree.

On the former, there is not an article written about this case in the past few days that doesn't call the charge unusual, unique, and a bit of a surprise.

On the latter, neither you nor anyone else has heard Brady's name in the past 30 years without hearing Reagan's name in the next sentence. They are inextricably linked. I can cop to the fact that if this had happened to someone else as heavily in the public eye back then, this charge might still be applied now. (Keep in mind, that qualification applies to an incredibly small number of people.) I think the idea that someone as popular and beloved as Reagan was involved in this has had no effect on the charges being brought now is simply wrong. If it was Edward Nobody from 1981 who had been caught in this kind of shooting targeting Philip Somebody Else and died 33 years later, no one is charging homicide here.
   1949. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 11:53 AM (#4767691)
I believe you are sincere, I also believe you are dead wrong and a paranoid loon, and I think it's despicable you went to Jim.

As I've said, I've never picked up on an anti-Semitic vibe from Andy. (He seems to just rage on about various dumb things indiscriminately.)

But if a black poster had gotten racial vibes from a white poster here, would you call the black poster a "loon" because of it? Remember when Doug Glanville and his wife called senators and town meetings because a white cop asked Glanville a question in his driveway pertaining to a complaint he was following up on, and the liberals here screamed that if Glanville was offended we should be sensitive to that and give Glanville's complaint weight due to past history? Why would those same rules not apply to zop here?
   1950. Lassus Posted: August 09, 2014 at 12:06 PM (#4767692)
But if a black poster had gotten racial vibes from a white poster here, would you call the black poster a "loon" because of it?

If a black poster came in and called Andy a racist, yeah, I would. Without a doubt. You think otherwise?
   1951. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 12:10 PM (#4767693)
I will respectfully disagree.

On the former, there is not an article written about this case in the past few days that doesn't call the charge unusual, unique, and a bit of a surprise.

Perhaps because (a) victims don't often die decades later as a result of their injuries in the first place, (b) when it happens the victims are not famous so the media doesn't cover it, and (c) since it's decades later the assailant might not himself be still alive and we don't posthumously charge people with crimes.

Not that Hinckley has been re-charged yet. As far as I'm aware the ME has simply made a ruling, and the US Atty's office is investigating.

I think the idea that someone as popular and beloved as Reagan was involved in this has had no effect on the charges being brought now is simply wrong. If it was Edward Nobody from 1981 who had been caught in this kind of shooting targeting Philip Somebody Else and died 33 years later, no one is charging homicide here.

There's no reason to see a conspiracy here. Nothing has even happened yet, and if there is any special consideration given this case it could be because the attack was on a _president_, not because he was a Republican president.
   1952. Lassus Posted: August 09, 2014 at 12:19 PM (#4767697)
Nothing has even happened yet, and if there is any special consideration given this case it could be because the attack was on a _president_, not because he was a Republican president.

Er, that's actually what I already said.
   1953. Joey B. has reignited his October #Natitude Posted: August 09, 2014 at 12:37 PM (#4767700)
What with us now bombing the crap out of Iraq again, frankly I'm kind of amazed that all you phony anti-war psychotic Moursundian red diaper doper babies haven't disappeared and gone into hiding again for a week like you all did back when Syria was flaring up!
   1954. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: August 09, 2014 at 12:43 PM (#4767702)
What with us now bombing the crap out of Iraq again, frankly I'm kind of amazed that all you phony anti-war psychotic Moursundian red diaper doper babies haven't disappeared and gone into hiding again for a week like you all did back when Syria was flaring up!
I'm surprised you're here, and not out fighting for freedom like you have every other time we... oh, wait, never mind.
   1955. Lassus Posted: August 09, 2014 at 12:48 PM (#4767703)
Shhhh... don't bother the baby, he's got a rash from the Strasburg start.
   1956. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 01:05 PM (#4767708)
On the latter, neither you nor anyone else has heard Brady's name in the past 30 years without hearing Reagan's name in the next sentence. They are inextricably linked. I can cop to the fact that if this had happened to someone else as heavily in the public eye back then, this charge might still be applied now. (Keep in mind, that qualification applies to an incredibly small number of people.) I think the idea that someone as popular and beloved as Reagan was involved in this has had no effect on the charges being brought now is simply wrong. If it was Edward Nobody from 1981 who had been caught in this kind of shooting targeting Philip Somebody Else and died 33 years later, no one is charging homicide here.
You're doubly mistaken, because you misunderstand what has happened here. Nobody has charged anyone with anything. (And Hinckley can't be charged, because he has already been found insane.). The ME has ruled that the cause of death is homicide. All that means is that he determined that the death was neither accidental, nor suicide, nor natural causes.

That has nothing to do with Reagan. Any shooting victim who eventually dies will be classified as a homicide.
   1957. BDC Posted: August 09, 2014 at 01:12 PM (#4767711)
Thanks for the legal insights, DMN – much appreciated.
   1958. Lassus Posted: August 09, 2014 at 01:15 PM (#4767714)
Mistake noted on the charging. Elaboration, NY Times:
The ruling could allow prosecutors in Washington, where Reagan and Mr. Brady were shot on March 30, 1981, by John W. Hinckley Jr., to reopen the case and charge Mr. Hinckley with murder.
There is no statute of limitations on murder charges, but any attempt to retry Mr. Hinckley would be a challenge for prosecutors, in part because he was ruled insane, said Hugh Keefe, a Connecticut defense lawyer who taught trial advocacy at Yale University.

“They’re dead in the water,” Mr. Keefe said. “That’s the end of that case, because we have double jeopardy. He was tried; he was found not guilty based on insanity.”

But George J. Terwilliger III, who was the assistant United States attorney in Washington when he wrote the search warrant for Mr. Hinckley’s hotel room, said there might be grounds for a new trial.

“Generally, a new homicide charge would be adjudicated on its merits without reference to a prior case,” said Mr. Terwilliger, who became a deputy attorney general under the elder President George Bush and is now in private practice. “The real challenge here would be to prove causation for the death.”

Mr. Hinckley’s lawyer, Barry W. Levine, acknowledged new charges were possible, but said the possibility was “far-fetched in the extreme.”
   1959. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: August 09, 2014 at 01:16 PM (#4767715)
Any shooting victim who eventually dies will be classified as a homicide.

Any? I don't think so.
   1960. BDC Posted: August 09, 2014 at 01:24 PM (#4767720)
Why we're relying on legal advice from Keefe I have no idea.
   1961. Joey B. has reignited his October #Natitude Posted: August 09, 2014 at 01:48 PM (#4767725)
Any shooting victim who eventually dies will be classified as a homicide.

Any? I don't think so.

Me neither. News flash: all shooting victims eventually die. That statement sounds like it was pulled out of a bunghole.
   1962. Bitter Mouse Posted: August 09, 2014 at 02:01 PM (#4767727)
There is no statute of limitations on murder charges, but any attempt to retry Mr. Hinckley would be a challenge for prosecutors, in part because he was ruled insane

Small world file: My sister knows and has treated Hinkley (She is a Psych type working in DC).
   1963. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 09, 2014 at 02:33 PM (#4767736)
/clappered

Look, Pal, this is BBTF. We talk like men, act like men. A man's word is gold, a handshake is a contract, a fellow poster is a fellow Primate. You have a problem with a fellow Primate, you talk it out.

/John Walsh (or Joe Biden).
   1964. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 03:27 PM (#4767759)
Any? I don't think so.
Obviously not "any"; there was an implied "of injuries related to the shooting" after "who dies."
   1965. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 09, 2014 at 03:45 PM (#4767767)
Shhhh... don't bother the baby, he's got a rash from the Strasburg start.

Not Joey's fault; it's contagious. Worthless f*cking pusssy b*tches suffer occasional inflammation in their total sorry c*nt flaps.

I got rejected by all types

One does not need to hate Jews to be uninterested in dating Jason.

Or to hate Levy's bread.
   1966. JE (Jason) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 06:44 PM (#4767832)
   1967. tshipman Posted: August 09, 2014 at 09:12 PM (#4767867)
Jewish Rabbi Shot, Killed While Walking to North Miami Beach Temple: Police

Is the adjective "Jewish" really necessary in that headline?
   1968. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 09, 2014 at 09:57 PM (#4767872)
Is the adjective "Jewish" really necessary in that headline?
Maybe not - but the word "temple" doesn't belong there. According to the article he was an Orthodox rabbi; the Orthodox don't call their shuls "temples."
   1969. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 10, 2014 at 01:50 AM (#4767916)
With about 1% of the vote in, they're already calling the Democratic gubernatorial primary against the incumbent Governor. Pretty strong message there. Not clear yet if his appointed Senator will also go down.

EDIT: That's 1% of the precincts but they probably have a much higher percentage of the votes.
   1970. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 10, 2014 at 03:41 AM (#4767927)
The Democratic Senate candidates in Hawaii are separated by 11 votes out of ~164,000 with two-thirds of the precincts reporting. Looks like recount lawyers may get to go to Hawaii. Good deal for them.
   1971. steagles Posted: August 10, 2014 at 03:52 AM (#4767928)
has anyone brought the fact that tony stewart killed a guy tonight?

because tony stewart killed a guy tonight. i would not recommend watching the video.
   1972. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 10, 2014 at 08:58 AM (#4767945)
I'm not drawing conclusions from that video, but am always amazed there are drivers who make an effort to 'confront' other drivers while on foot.
   1973. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: August 10, 2014 at 09:01 AM (#4767946)
More Nascar thuggery.
   1974. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 10, 2014 at 09:11 AM (#4767949)
Nascar thuggery.

I used to go to local races at a clay track years ago, there would often be confrontations, but nearly always in the pits, later.

Coincidentally, Stewart suffered a badly broken leg last year in a sprint car race much like this one last night. He wasn't on foot at the time.
Stewart will have a hard time with his position on this in the public forum, I wouldn't call him super popular. Though, he's been the guy doing what Ward did last night, on more than one occasion. Helmet throwing is his specialty.
   1975. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 10, 2014 at 09:16 AM (#4767951)
Not the smartest move for this dude to have gotten out of his race car to confront another driver on the track, sort of dancing between the cars as he did so, but it seems to me to have been intentional on this Tony Stewart's part, whoever he is. Reading up on it quickly, apparently he throttled his funnily-shaped race car which causes a kick to the right and that's what you hear on the video and that's what you see. And not so coincidentally, Stewart was the guy this dude was upset with.

1976. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 10, 2014 at 09:30 AM (#4767954)
Jesus, was that kid crazy or what? It seemed clearly intentional on Stewart's part, and he shouldn't be let off the hook. But when you've walking in the middle of a track full of speeding cars, it wouldn't have necessarily taken a deliberate sideswiping to have that kid wind up in the morgue. What if some other car had been approaching Stewart's car on the left at that point, and Stewart had just instinctively pulled to the right to avoid being hit?
   1977. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 10, 2014 at 09:46 AM (#4767955)
A wild guess on early prediction: Tony Stewart is overcharged by the local DA, and we have a trial with dueling experts testifying on Stewart's pre-impact driving movements.
   1978. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM (#4767967)
A wild guess on early prediction: Tony Stewart is overcharged by the local DA, and we have a trial with dueling experts testifying on Stewart's pre-impact driving movements.

You're (not) on.
   1979. bobm Posted: August 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM (#4767979)
What if some other car had been approaching Stewart's car on the left at that point, and Stewart had just instinctively pulled to the right to avoid being hit?

Actually, Stewart was distracted by the other car's ArmorAll shine.
   1980. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: August 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM (#4767991)
The only good NASCAR person is a dead NASCAR person?

ETA: Come to think if it, I guess I'm really thinking about the fans, there.
   1981. The District Attorney Posted: August 10, 2014 at 01:53 PM (#4768025)
I got dem ol' Estonian blues again mama!
Hollywood actor and musician Steven Seagal played a weekend concert in the Crimean peninsula, appearing on a stage adorned with the flag of pro-Russia separatists in Ukraine.

Seagal and his blues band played on Saturday at a bikers' show held in the city of Sevastopol, home to Russia's Black Sea fleet. The star has come under fire for supporting Russia's March annexation of the peninsula from Ukraine, a view that saw him bounced from the lineup at an Estonian blues festival this summer.

At the corner of the stage hung the black, blue and red flag of the self-proclaimed "Donetsk People's Republic" (DNR), declared independent by pro-Russia rebels fighting to break away from Ukraine. Fans waved Russian and DNR flags as Seagal performed...

Seagal said he considers Putin, with whom he has promoted martial arts in Russia, "a friend and I'd like to consider him a brother". Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters last year that the Russian president and Seagal have been friends for a long time and meet regularly.

Russian media also reported Seagal put on a Putin T-shirt given to him by the concert's organiser.
   1982. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 10, 2014 at 01:57 PM (#4768028)
Would she have said this if Obama was riding high in the polls - Hillary Clinton Takes On Obama:
Hillary Clinton has taken her furthest and most public step away from President Barack Obama, describing his decision against helping build a “credible” force that could battle the Assad regime in Syria early on as a “failure.” In an interview with The Atlantic, she also rejected the core of Obama’s self-described foreign policy doctrine and stood firmly with Israel in the Gaza conflict.
. . .
On Obama’s self-described foreign policy doctrine — “Don’t do stupid ####,” or “Don’t do stupid stuff,” if, as Goldberg noted, uttered in public — Clinton was blunt: “Great nations need organizing principles, and ‘Don’t do stupid stuff’ is not an organizing principle. …

Perhaps she thinks Obama's foreign policy won't look that good in 2016.
   1983. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 10, 2014 at 02:14 PM (#4768041)
In that Hawaii Senate Primary, the appointed Senator, Schatz (is there a good way to pronounce that?), is leading the Congresswoman that Inouye wanted to succeed him, Hanabusa, by ~1700 votes. That might usually be enough to survive a recount, but there are about 8,000 voters in two precincts on The Big Island who are being allowed to cast absentee ballots for 21 days because their poling places were inaccessible due to hurricane damage. The Chain Saw Campaign starts now.
   1984. GregD Posted: August 10, 2014 at 02:15 PM (#4768044)
Funny I would have thought clapper would be rooting against Hillary but now he's cheering her strategic savvy

The Hawaii races are fascinating purely on internal politics grounds. My family there is amazed schatz did as well as he did. Most people thought Abercrombie might sneak through but schatz was toast. But it looks like it turned out exactly opposite

No chance though of it leading to an r pickup

Also hard to say if it has any ideological impact at all since the differences were style and political base and for Abercrombie candidate fatigue
   1985. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: August 10, 2014 at 02:27 PM (#4768048)
Strangely enough, I have no recollection of ever meeting Brian Schatz, even though: I was '93 and he was '94, Pomona College just isn't that big of a school and we must have taken some of the very same courses, since I was a Philosophy major before switching to History.

His photo on Wikipedia doesn't jog any memories, either ...
   1986. BDC Posted: August 10, 2014 at 02:31 PM (#4768052)
there are about 8,000 voters in two precincts on The Big Island who are being allowed to cast absentee ballots for 21 days

Kevin Costner among them?

"Schatz," BTW, in German is pronounced like English "shots", if that's an open question. It means "treasure" and is a term of endearment, though more often for a dog than a person anymore. For all I know this Senator insists on "shats" but that's his business.
   1987. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 10, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4768057)
Funny I would have thought clapper would be rooting against Hillary but now he's cheering her strategic savvy

The Hawaii races are fascinating purely on internal politics grounds. My family there is amazed schatz did as well as he did. Most people thought Abercrombie might sneak through but schatz was toast. But it looks like it turned out exactly opposite. No chance though of it leading to an r pickup

There is a big difference between "cheering" and "noting". Clinton distancing herself from Obama is a sign of his political weakness, IMHO.

As for Hawaii, the Republican Gubernatorial Candidate was leading in the polls against either Ige or Abercrombie, aided by the presence of a Independent/Third Party candidate. A GOP win is certainly possible, although not guaranteed.
   1988. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 10, 2014 at 03:16 PM (#4768076)
"Schatz," BTW, in German is pronounced like English "shots"

Not really. If you really need a pronunciation guide, it is the third word in this song. Plus you can stick around for some late 90's Lara Croft visuals.
   1989. CrosbyBird Posted: August 10, 2014 at 04:26 PM (#4768133)
It seemed clearly intentional on Stewart's part, and he shouldn't be let off the hook.

The buzz, at least right now, is that the death may not have been intentional. We know Stewart gunned his engine but that might have been to taunt the guy, or simply to accelerate around him. His car fishtailed, which could have been deliberate or could have been just a loss of (physical) control.

Either way, he's in big, big trouble. Selling this as anything less than serious recklessness is going to be tough, especially for a guy with a reputation for having a short fuse like Stewart.
   1990. Lassus Posted: August 10, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4768142)
Not really. If you really need a pronunciation guide, it is the third word in this song.

The vowel is a bit wider than the pronunciation cited; but it's damned close, depending upon the accent, I'd imagine.
   1991. The District Attorney Posted: August 10, 2014 at 04:35 PM (#4768145)
It's a little scary, though, to think that a murder charge could hinge on a general sizing up of someone as being "bad-tempered." I hope it comes down to the physical evidence of the actual incident in question... could he see the guy, is what he did something you might do in an attempt to avoid a collision, etc.

As for Hillary, it's a non-story (I know, go figure). Obama is not sufficiently popular that the Democratic candidate will run as "four more years of Obama." He is also not sufficiently unpopular (especially among Democrats) that the Democratic candidate will renounce him and all his works. The basic pitch for any Democratic candidate will be "kinda like Obama, but not entirely, and definitely better."
   1992. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 10, 2014 at 04:55 PM (#4768163)
The vowel is a bit wider than the pronunciation cited; but it's damned close, depending upon the accent, I'd imagine.

If you Yanks pronounce 'shots' anything like that, you all need to go back to English class. Along with the Geordies.
   1993. BDC Posted: August 10, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4768178)
OK, it's pronounced like American "shots." :-D
   1994. Srul Itza At Home Posted: August 10, 2014 at 05:57 PM (#4768192)
With about 1% of the vote in, they're already calling the Democratic gubernatorial primary against the incumbent Governor. Pretty strong message there. Not clear yet if his appointed Senator will also go down.

You are an idiot who knows nothing about Hawaii, and should for that reason keep your ignorant trap shut about it.

Abercombrie lost because he was a grating, annoying person who acted like a Republican in siding with developers. David Ige, who won the primary, will be the favorite, despite earlier polls showing the Republican in the lead.

If you want to place a wager on this election, let me know. 10 Grand minimum buy in.
   1995. Srul Itza At Home Posted: August 10, 2014 at 06:00 PM (#4768193)
In that Hawaii Senate Primary, the appointed Senator, Schatz (is there a good way to pronounce that?)

It is pronounced Shotz. Moron.
   1996. JE (Jason) Posted: August 10, 2014 at 06:03 PM (#4768194)
If you want to place a wager on this election, let me know. 10 Grand minimum buy in.

Thanks, Mitt!
   1997. Srul Itza At Home Posted: August 10, 2014 at 06:03 PM (#4768195)
Most people thought Abercrombie might sneak through but schatz was toast.

Anyone who paid attention to public sentiment or polling knew Abercrombie was toast.

Schatz doing this well relates to a lot of anti-Hanabusa sentiment.

Politics in Hawaii is Democratic through and through, so personalities and connections matter more than in other states.

ETA: Inouye wanted Abercombrie to appoint Hanabusa to replace him. She has been acting as if this makes her entitled to the seat. That grates on a lot of people.
   1998. Srul Itza At Home Posted: August 10, 2014 at 06:06 PM (#4768197)
Thanks, Mitt!

If it doesn't have the capacity to hurt, it ain't gambling.
   1999. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 10, 2014 at 07:31 PM (#4768233)
The last 30+ years of Hawaiian Senate races, all won by Democrats:
1982: 80%
1986: 73%
1988: 77%
1992: 57%
1994: 72%
1998: 79%
2000: 73%
2004: 75%
2006: 61%
2010: 75%
2012: 63%
   2000. tshipman Posted: August 10, 2014 at 07:59 PM (#4768258)
The last 30+ years of Hawaiian Senate races, all won by Democrats:

I was going to say that a lot of those might just represent Inouye's personal popularity, who's sort of an awesome force of nature, but then I saw that they went D by similar margins in presidential races as well.
Page 20 of 64 pages ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.