Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 01, 2019

OT Soccer Thread - A New Season is Upon Baldrick

Everyone enjoy the break that was about 25 minutes long?  Anyway;

August 2 - Championship begins (Luton-Middlesbrough), Eridivise begins (Zwolle-Willem II)
August 3 - Scottish Premiership, League One, League Two begin
August 4 - Community Shield (Manchester City-Liverpool)
August 6 - Carabao Cup (Portsmouth-Birmingham City), Third round qualifying Champions League first legs
August 9 - EPL begins (Liverpool-Norwich City), Ligue Une begins (Monaco-Lyon)
August 16 - Bundesliga begins (Bayern-Hertha), La Liga begins (Athletic Bilbao-Barcelona)
August 29 - Champions League group stage draw
September 5 - All manner of World Cup and Euro qualifying international break begins

BTF FANTASY SOCCER COME ONE COME ALL (the link for the post now takes you to the signup page).

League name:  BTF Soccer

Code: my8hl1

Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: August 01, 2019 at 06:46 PM | 911 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 10 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5868803)
Sky reporting that Pochettino called Coutinho last night to convince him to move to Norf London. They have a relationship so it could be true but, to me, it's a sign we've reached PEAK TRANSFER WINDOW!!!!!!!
   102. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:15 PM (#5868804)

This is the thing that finally made me do it (there's a 50% off sale right now, so $29.99 for the first year).

Well, hell, that sounds a crazy bargain!

Thanks for the responses!
   103. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:18 PM (#5868809)
Sky reporting that Pochettino called Coutinho last night to convince him to move to Norf London. They have a relationship so it could be true but, to me, it's a sign we've reached PEAK TRANSFER WINDOW!!!!!!!

I guess Pochettino managed Coutinho at Espanyol?

So not completely bat country, but ... I can only imagine what kind of crazy wages Coutinho must be on and Spurs don't (or at least haven't) done straight loans, so ...
   104. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5868817)
I don't understand what the hell is going on. Dybala is off, on, off, on, off. I have no idea how good Bruno Fernandes is, but the bounty that scorched-earth Levy will ask for from any domestic team will be astronomical. Or why not go for Lo Celso instead then?

BTW wikipedia has Lo Celso as a Spurs player already.
   105. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5868822)
Oh I have an Athletic subscription. It isn't a constant diarrhea of content that a lot of sport sites feel they have to do to maintain eyeballs. I like that. There is so much crap out there that curated content appeals to me more. We'll see if the business models holds up.

Also there is an article about the Maguire transfer. Apparently United did look at Toby, Koulibaly and Ake but fixated on Maguire. Phelan and Ferguson are big fans.
   106. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:47 PM (#5868824)
18.29 BST: What's up with our old pal Neymar these days?

Spanish outlet SPORT claims that PSG have decided that the best course of action is to move on from the Brazilian and have subsequently offered him to Manchester United, Juventus and Real Madrid. The report states that PSG are trying to offload him to anyone but Barcelona -- the player's preferred destination -- and have even proposed initial loan deals to the three aforementioned clubs.

It is never boring when Neymar is involved and the next few weeks figure to live up to that billing.

PEAK. TRANSFER. WINDOW.

So, I'm on the Spain section of Michael Cox's new book and he relates a Messi anecdote I hadn't heard before though is probably common knowledge, Evidently after Pep signed Zlatan and moved Messi out wide, Messi texted Pep something like "So I'm not important to the team anymore" and Pep very quickly moved Messi back to the middle and shunted Zlatan out wide which, famously, did not end well. You can't say Messi was wrong, though.
   107. Mefisto Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5868827)
Coutinho is a legitimately great passer. I'm not sure how he'd fit on Spurs, but Poch is smarter than I am.
   108. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 01:57 PM (#5868830)
Coutinho is very good. It hasn't worked out at Barca for him but the expectations there are crazy high, too. They did win La Liga and get to a CL semi with him as a regular. He didn't hold them back too much. I'd rather have Lo Celso but if he's off the table and Eriksen won't extend his contract, Coutinho is as good a stop-gap as you can hope to get. Still, I just don't think there's time to get it done even if the link is real.
   109. jmurph Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:03 PM (#5868834)
Spanish outlet SPORT claims that PSG have decided that the best course of action is to move on from the Brazilian and have subsequently offered him to Manchester United, Juventus and Real Madrid. The report states that PSG are trying to offload him to anyone but Barcelona -- the player's preferred destination -- and have even proposed initial loan deals to the three aforementioned clubs.

It's a shame Neymar didn't spend all his time at one stable club. I feel like the last couple years have been wasted, and it doesn't look great going forward! The man is magical when he's on.
   110. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5868835)
Yeah, it feels like Neymar and his people are pissing his career away.
   111. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:10 PM (#5868837)
Neymar in the PL would be pretty funny, I have to admit.

I can just imagine Neymar's joy at the thought of suiting up for a cold, rainy night in Stoke ... and then receiving a proper Stoke welcome from the lads.
   112. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5868838)
I can just imagine Neymar's joy at the thought of suiting up for a cold, rainy night in Stoke ...

Hey, man, Amiens and Caen are not exactly on the Riviera!
   113. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:23 PM (#5868843)
Now, if this happens?

18.54 BST: Wolves have reportedly made a £30 million bid for a highly-rated defender.

The Times reports that the Europa League participants have launched a bid for Juventus centre-back and Arsenal target Daniele Rugani. Arsenal previously made a two-year loan offer for Rugani but that was rejected.

Could big spenders Wolves pip Arsenal to a big signing? That would be a sign of the times.

ALL THE LULZ!
   114. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:36 PM (#5868850)
Spurs don't (or at least haven't) done straight loans, so ...

So ... that's what it appears it would be, though there are conflicting reports on the structure (either Spurs pay a 21 million Euro loan fee AND 200k/week wages [which I REALLY can't see happening] or Spurs just pay the loan fee while Barcelona pays the wages [which still isn't likely, but ...])

MCoA on Coutinho.
   115. spivey Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:41 PM (#5868856)
I just don't even know anymore.
   116. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:45 PM (#5868857)
WHAT THE #### IS GOING ON TODAY???

Dybala? Done?? To Spurs???

(original source appears to be Di Marzio)

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue ...
   117. spivey Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5868861)
This makes sense. Move Rose to midfield to double pivot with Ndombele, Son to LB, Dybala to the 10, Coutinho to LW, and then get Lo Celso for some RB cover.
   118. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:49 PM (#5868862)
So, reasonably creditable sources have Spurs signing Dybala, Coutinho, Fernandes and Lo Celso today. More porkies than an 80's drive in movie in the intertubes today...
   119. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:50 PM (#5868863)
Here it is

And here's the Google translation into English:

After the failed agreement with Manchester United, a new offer for Dybala. Still coming from the Premier League, but this time from London.

Tottenham has proposed 70 million euros for the Argentine striker. Juventus and Pochettino's team agree on the evaluation of the player. Now Dybala has to find its economic agreement with the last Champions League finalist team on wages and commissions.

A knot not easy given the tight deadlines and what happened with Manchester United. After missing the negotiation with the Red Devils, another English player comes forward for the Juventus striker. Negotiation to be built, but the offer took place, just under two days from the end of the English market.

So it appears, to borrow from Miracle Max, the deal is only "mostly done", since it all hinges on Spurs working out wages (etc) with Dybala and last I heard he was asking for 350k/week, which, well ... ain't going to happen.
   120. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:54 PM (#5868866)
I have to say, I have been greatly entertained by the transfer window today. It's been like when you finally got a glimpse of a boob after staring at a scrambled adult channel for an hour in 1983.
   121. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:56 PM (#5868868)
Are you on CFC, Shooty? If so, that line is too good not to go blue!
   122. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5868869)
Sir, I am not. I had a falling out at CFC when the AEG take over rumors were flying and I never re-joined. Feel free to use it, though! I lurk over there sometimes so I give you permission.
   123. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:03 PM (#5868870)
Thanks! I'll probably drop it in when the Dybala post goes up.

Meanwhile ... LULZ, the MLS Edition:

19.45 BST: D.C. United announced earlier today that Wayne Rooney will be leaving the club in January but don't expect the club to sit idly by. Washington Post soccer writer Steven Goff is already reporting that D.C. has a pair of big-name stars in mind who could potentially replace the Rooney-sized void in the nation's capital: Mesut Ozil and Mario Balotelli.

Goff claims that there has been initial contact by D.C. with Ozil and Balotelli's representatives and that one of the pair could join in January. Either would be a huge signing for the league, as Ozil (soon to be 31), despite all the criticism, is still a player capable of producing the spectacular, while Balotelli, a free agent and soon to be 29, is a lightning road both on and off the pitch.

Ozil's representatives are supposed to be in the United States next week to meet with D.C. United's brass.

ESPNFC
   124. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5868873)
I'd love to see Balotelli in MLS. I thought that should have happened years ago.
   125. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:16 PM (#5868878)
It would be ... something.
   126. jmurph Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:22 PM (#5868883)
The Lo Celso Demander @Skipjack0079
Daniel Levy conducting transfer business as he snorts cocaine off strippers on a airboat tearing through the Everglades while being pursued by the FBI.
   127. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:24 PM (#5868885)
Maybe they're about to sign a stadium naming rights agreement for a billion dollars? It's the only way any of this would make sense.
   128. jmurph Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:25 PM (#5868886)
I continue to not fully understand why Juventus and Barcelona have gotten bored with winning lots of trophies and league titles, but it makes for a more entertaining summer.
   129. jmurph Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:33 PM (#5868887)
Everyday 538 tweets a link to their soccer projections, and everyday they remain the 2018-19 season numbers.
   130. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5868888)
This is now set up to be the most crushing end to a transfer window ever for Spurs fans. I can see it coming in the superest slowest motion.
   131. manchestermets Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:38 PM (#5868889)
I continue to not fully understand why Juventus and Barcelona have gotten bored with winning lots of trophies and league titles

The Barcelona that won their league by a distance last season and have taken their closest rivals' best player this summer? I'm not entirely sure they've got fed up of winning league titles.
   132. jmurph Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:42 PM (#5868890)
The Barcelona that won their league by a distance last season and have taken their closest rivals' best player this summer? I'm not entirely sure they've got fed up of winning league titles.

Ok fine Barcelona was a stretch!
   133. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:52 PM (#5868894)
Done with the madness? Today's not even close to done with the madness!

According to website Football Insider, Serge Aurier is being linked with a shock return to Paris St. Germain, the club that Spurs purchased him from a couple of years ago.

Football Insider appears to be the only source at present reporting it, and I’d like to get a little corroborating reporting before I call this a thing, but holy moly, that would be a change. We know Spurs have been trying to offload Aurier for at least this summer and possibly earlier, as it seems he’s lost Mauricio Pochettino’s favor. The report states that Pochettino gave Aurier “the green light to quit” Spurs, and he’s currently in negotiations to return to the French champions, and that PSG will need to offer a fee that allows Spurs to at least break even on him.

Is this real? Man, I dunno. Would I like to see Serge gone? Yes, if Spurs can find a replacement for him like Youcef Atal. With Foyth injured, an Aurier departure leaves Kyle Walker-Peters as Spurs’ only recognized right back, and that’s not ideal. On the other hand, I’m kinda done with Aurier and have been for a while.

From CFC.

With all the crazy swirling around Coutinho, Dybala, Lo Celso, Sessegnon ... I don't see how Spurs could possibly move Derp AND get a replacement over the line before the window closes.
   134. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 06, 2019 at 03:57 PM (#5868895)
Reports now Dybala doesn't fancy Spurs either.
   135. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 04:00 PM (#5868897)
Where u seeing that, Shooty?
   136. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 06, 2019 at 04:41 PM (#5868907)
Everyday 538 tweets a link to their soccer projections, and everyday they remain the 2018-19 season numbers.
Last year they didn't update until the first day of the EPL, so I wouldn't hold my breath at least until Friday.

To cut 538 a tiny bit of slack (but not much), there are leagues currently in action, and presumably those rankings are updated daily.

End of last season average EPL team ranking: 71.46
End of last season average La Liga ranking: 75.62

We should see some big movement here. I suspect the EPL will be slightly ahead, but not by 4 points. 538 has a lot of work to do on their relative league rankings, as they are not very good yet. At the beginning of last year La Liga was about 5 points ahead per average team, while the best estimate of league strength had the two as very close. I think it might be because 538 is weighting the last 5 years of interleague play equally or something, and La Liga has traditionally dominated until very recently.

More importantly, they aren't doing league adjustments during the season. This creates two problems. First is obvious: even if they started the EPL at 5 points worse than La Liga, by the end of last year they should have been very close, considering the interleague results. This leads into the second problem. It appears 538 is too volatile on a game-by-game basis. (Witness, e.g., Everton ending last season as better than Arsenal and Manchester United, based on a hot streak at the end of the year.) It seems likely that the excess volatility is a correction for the leagues as a whole not being adjusted in season. In other words, the rankings have to make sense for interleague play, and if no league adjustments are being made, the individual game adjustments have to take up the slack, making them too volatile. This is even more dramatic in leagues (for example, Eredivisie) where they don't track xG, so all the weight is on the final score. String together a bunch of strong results over bad teams and suddenly PSV is a top 15 team in the world.

So will Everton start the season ahead of ManU and Arsenal? No, because 1/3 of any team's intraleague ranking for a new season is based on Transfermarket, while the other 2/3 is last season's end of year ranking. Or at leas that was true last year. They could be rated as fairly close though.
   137. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 06, 2019 at 04:58 PM (#5868916)
Actually, correction. It looks like now they have updated the actual rankings, just haven't reset the league tables.

ManCity: 94.3
Liverpool: 92.9
Chelsea: 86.0
Tottenham: 85.2
ManU: 79.8
Arsenal: 79.2
Everton: 78.5
Leicester: 75.8
Wolves: 73.9
Palace 71.1
Newcastle: 69.9
West Ham 69.7
Bournemouth 69.6
Fulham 69.3 (despite being in the championship! Wowzers.)
Southampton 68.7
Watford 67.9
Burnley 67.8
Villa 64.8
Brighton 62.8
Norwich 62.8
SheffieldU 61.8

Needless to say, this does not match the betting odds super closely.

74.125 average, excluding Fulham of course.

138. jmurph Posted: August 06, 2019 at 05:05 PM (#5868917)
Actually, correction. It looks like now they have updated the actual rankings, just haven't reset the league tables.

The Premier League page says it was last updated on June 1. If there's a way to click to the 19-20 season it's not obvious.
   139. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 06, 2019 at 05:21 PM (#5868921)
Barca 91.2
Madrid 85.2
Atletico 83.1
Valencia 77.8
Sevilla 74.9
Getafe 73.6
Sociedad 73.5
Bilbao 73.4
Eibar 73.3
Betis 71.5
Villarreal 71.3
Espanyol 70.4
Leganes 70.3
Celta 67.8
Alaves 65.9
Levante 65.0
Valladoid 64.3
Osasuna 64.1
Grenada 63.8
Mallorca 63.8

72.21 average

Girona 52.3
Rayo Vallecano 47.7
Malaga 43.7

(These top three La Liga 2 teams are only hear to show that, as last year, there is an unrealistic gap between the worst La Liga teams and the best La Liga 2 teams. Both Fulham and Leeds (62.7) are considered as good or better than the bottom EPL teams, with half the rest of the Championship within 10 points of Sheffield United.)

140. manchestermets Posted: August 06, 2019 at 05:31 PM (#5868922)
I'd take even money that Atletico will finish above Madrid again this year.
   141. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: August 06, 2019 at 06:02 PM (#5868927)
Yeah, if Dybala couldn't come to personal terms with Man United, I don't see how Spurs could meet his demands, even with the Poch factor.

It's really weird to me that Lo Celso still isn't over the line. Sessegnon too. Levy being Levy I suppose...
   142. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 06:18 PM (#5868929)
Yeah, if Dybala couldn't come to personal terms with Man United, I don't see how Spurs could meet his demands, even with the Poch factor.

I don't know exactly what Spurs are willing to offer in wages, bonuses, etc, but Dybala is on around 100k/week (euros) right now at Juve, so Spurs could offer: probably close to double that, London, CL matches and Poch.

Which ain't nothin'. Not saying it's likely (especially since there seems to be kerfuffle where Dybala wants to own all his image rights, not exactly sure how that normally works) but I don't think it's impossible (unlike with United where I think he had absolutely no interest in going).

Everyone seems to think he really wants PSG, but you've got to think they're slightly distracted by other things at the moment ...
   143. manchestermets Posted: August 06, 2019 at 06:45 PM (#5868935)
Betfair's odds on selected player transfers (to happen before 9th August):

Bruno Fernandes:
Not to move - 1/1
Man Utd - 6/4
Liverpool - 5/1
Tottenham - 7/1
Madrid - 12/1

Christian Eriksen:
Man Utd - 1/2
Not to move - 2/1
14/1 bar

Giovani Lo Celso:
Tottenham - 1/12
Napoli - 15/2
20/1 bar

Paulo Dybala:
Tottenham - 4/7
14/1 bar

Coutinho:
Not to move - 11/10
Arsenal 17/10
Tottenham - 4/1
16/1 bar
   144. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 06:53 PM (#5868937)
What does "bar" mean?
   145. manchestermets Posted: August 06, 2019 at 06:56 PM (#5868940)
Oh sorry, that's British betting speak for "the next smallest price" - usually used when the prices start getting unlikely.
   146. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 06:59 PM (#5868942)
Ah, thanks!
   147. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 06, 2019 at 07:21 PM (#5868949)
Betting odds still like Real Madrid quite a bit more than Atletico.

It's almost time for EPL predictions! But I guess we can wait until Thursday.
   148. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 06, 2019 at 07:58 PM (#5868957)
Done with the madness? Today's not even close to done with the madness!

WAS I KIDDING? I WAS NOT KIDDING!

Manchester United have turned their attention to Fernando Llorente as the transfer window enters its final days, and are reportedly 'leading the race.'

A number of teams have been monitoring Llorente this summer, with the Spaniard becoming a free agent after leaving Tottenham.

United are close to agreeing terms with the player who will act as cover for the soon-to-be departing Romelu Lukaku, according to Sky Italia.

Daily Fail

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???
   149. Richard Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:18 AM (#5869011)

(These top three La Liga 2 teams are only hear to show that, as last year, there is an unrealistic gap between the worst La Liga teams and the best La Liga 2 teams. Both Fulham and Leeds (62.7) are considered as good or better than the bottom EPL teams, with half the rest of the Championship within 10 points of Sheffield United.)

It seems to me, having followed 538's system for a couple of seasons, that one of its weaknesses is assessing the strength of teams that have changed divisions. And that's not the system's fault - it's very hard to do. Relegated or promoted teams tend to have more player turnover than other teams, their existing players come into a new league, the relegated teams often have new or recently appointed managers, and the vast majority of their opponents are teams that they did not play the previous season. There are so many variables.

To give an example dear to my heart, I'm pretty sure Sheffield United will finish in the bottom half next season, but beyond that, who knows? It could be Huddersfield level bad, or they might get 40+ points if things break right.
   150. manchestermets Posted: August 07, 2019 at 04:56 AM (#5869015)
United are close to agreeing terms with Llorente according to the same journalist (Gianluca Di Marzio) who last week told us that United had agreed terms and were on the verge of signing Bruno Fernandes, so you'll forgive me for taking this with a large pile of salt. The Twitter lunatics are obviously in meltdown, because all the other things they read on Twitter and took as gospel haven't happened, and now they've read this which is certain to happen. Di Marzio seems to have some reputation as a savant on transfer gossip, but as far as I can tell he pulls things out of his hat to exactly the same extent as all the other journalists.
   151. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 08:22 AM (#5869017)
Llorente isn't a bad guy to have on the bench. He can hold the ball well and is useful for going direct when you're chasing a goal late in the game. He also seem content to a back up/bit player role which is useful for squad harmony. United could do worse and I'd be happy if Spurs kept him.

On Spurs, this is where I gather we are this morning:

Dybala: negotiations are underway but, IMO, the financials are just too much for Spurs--fee, wages, agent fee, image rights--it just seems like too much.
Coutinho: I feel like this one is very unlikely
Lo Celso: Probably has the best chance of getting done but, you know, until he's holding up the fucking shirt
Fernandes: I get the feeling he's plan C or D
Eriksen: He either goes to Juventus/Barca/Real or he'll run down his contract. Not sure why Bayern aren't interested in him as he seems a good fit there. He seems like he really wants to experience another league/country.

So, I'd say maybe a 40% chance 1 of these guys gets signed? It was a fun day yesterday watching Spurs fans lose their collective shit, though. This is probably the most Spursy end to a window ever and I have a feeling many teeth will be gnashed and many tears will be shed. As always, will be glad to be wrong about this. I've just experienced so many deadline day disappointments over the years. probably the most fun deadline day signings have been Van der Vaart and Clint Dempsey. In hindsight, I should have been more excited about Sissoko.
   152. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 08:33 AM (#5869019)
Also, speaking of former Spurs transfer targets that never happened, Diego Forlan has retired. My god was he brilliant at the 2010 World Cup. He also had Sir Alex throw a shoe at him. Which moment was the more glorious...
   153. The_Ex Posted: August 07, 2019 at 09:16 AM (#5869023)
Duncan Castles believes the Lo Celso deal is done but Betis needed to drag it out to show they had extracted the maximum from Spurs/Levy. The 1/12 odds suggest he might be right.
   154. manchestermets Posted: August 07, 2019 at 09:21 AM (#5869024)
Yeah, Llorente is exactly the kind of player I might sign in an FM game where I felt I needed just a bit more depth in attack.
   155. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 09:21 AM (#5869025)
Not that I put too much trust in Castles, but yeah, I'm seeing similar from a lot of other sources. We'll see though. This feels too similar to the Moutinho deal for my liking.
   156. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 07, 2019 at 09:49 AM (#5869031)
Meanwhile ... LULZ, the MLS Edition:

19.45 BST: D.C. United announced earlier today that Wayne Rooney will be leaving the club in January but don't expect the club to sit idly by. Washington Post soccer writer Steven Goff is already reporting that D.C. has a pair of big-name stars in mind who could potentially replace the Rooney-sized void in the nation's capital: Mesut Ozil and Mario Balotelli.

Sounds reasonable.

Lulz would be if Rooney left now because the English leagues are starting. Leaving in January is reasonable.
   157. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:05 AM (#5869034)
That wasn't the LULZ part.
   158. J. Sosa Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:18 AM (#5869036)
Re: Coutinho

I don’t see the fit at Arsenal or Spurs. The club I think he could help is United. He was at his best threading through balls to Sturridge and Suarez. He and Rashford would work well I think.

The main problem with Coutinho is that you either have to play him at left wing, where he tends to get shot happy and his passing is diminished, or play him at midfield where he doesn’t have the stamina to press but impacts the game breaking the lines with passes.

For my money he was best as a mid when he had Henderson carrying water for him. Coutinho does have a high opinion of Poch though and Erikesen/Ndombele could cover for him.... Doh now I have talked myself into it. Probably not happening though. Lo Celso remains the most sensible option.

Re: Dybala

Lots of third party shenanigans. Very difficult deal to pull off. I have wondered how much of the press is Juventus trying to drum up interest.

Re: Lukaku

Dude doesn’t do himself any favors. I would probably pay the postage myself if I were a United fan.

Re: LFC

Mouthpieces saying they are done, which is a misnomer as they never started.

Re: Castles

He is way off sometimes but also legitimately is sometimes first on breaking transfers. I think he must have an agent source or two. Or he could just guess and play the percentages. One of the things I found most interesting when I first started following transfers is how team and even player dependent the information is. Each club has one or two reliable sources.

Re: Athletic

I wish them well, but I don’t see how it is going to work. Various iterations of this model have been tried before. Enjoy it while it lasts.

159. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:19 AM (#5869037)
Dybala: negotiations are underway but, IMO, the financials are just too much for Spurs--fee, wages, agent fee, image rights--it just seems like too much.
Coutinho: I feel like this one is very unlikely
Lo Celso: Probably has the best chance of getting done but, you know, until he's holding up the ####### shirt
Fernandes: I get the feeling he's plan C or D
Eriksen: He either goes to Juventus/Barca/Real or he'll run down his contract. Not sure why Bayern aren't interested in him as he seems a good fit there. He seems like he really wants to experience another league/country.

Dybala - I'll pull a Herzog and eat a shoe if this comes off, for specifically the reasons noted. Also noted, I believe when I quoted his weekly wages upthread, they were after tax and he is on closer to 300k/week pre-tax. Plus the agent supposedly wants 13 million for his 3rd-party ownership share and that's even before the image rights. This one isn't going to happen.
Coutinho - Can't find a link, but supposedly he nixed the loan deal to Spurs.
Lo Celso - Best fit, but Levy's being Levy. 50/50? Who knows.
Fernandes - Another bid made, another bid rejected, but I don't think he's the fit GLC is.
Eriksen - Rejected United, at this point I can't see him not being sold after the PL window closes if any sort of decent offer comes in. I don't think him running down his contract at Spurs would be a good season or situation for either party.

So ... get GLC over the line, sell CE somewhere on the continent so he can chase his new money challenge, call it a window ... and go shotgun some Budweisers.
   160. jmurph Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:28 AM (#5869042)
Absolutely perfect:
Real Madrid will switch their attention to signing Neymar if they can't complete a move for Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba by the end of the Premier League transfer window, a source has told ESPN FC.

Julien Laurens (co-) wrote the story, so maybe legit?
   161. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:33 AM (#5869045)
Laurens is as legit as it gets.
   162. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:42 AM (#5869050)
Coutinho - Can't find a link, but supposedly he nixed the loan deal to Spurs.

Make that definitely nixed the loan deal to Spurs
   163. jmurph Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:46 AM (#5869053)
Matt Law @Matt_Law_DT
Progress has been made between Inter Milan and Manchester United over Lukaku. Inter now growing increasingly optimistic they are close to a full agreement.

It's great to see a few teams trying to make a run in Serie A- should be a fun season.
   164. spivey Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:48 AM (#5869054)
I agree Lo Celso is the best fit and I want him. He's not the creator some of these others are, but I think a healthy Alli could do that, and is probably the best 10 option we have if we want to still play 4-2-3-1. In fact, I think getting Alli in the center of the pitch to do the Lampard late runs into the box may be his best position as well. He's shown an ability to put in a pretty damn solid number of goals in the past when you put him in the box consistently.
   165. spivey Posted: August 07, 2019 at 10:53 AM (#5869056)
I also think Lukaku is a really good player, though flawed, and I hope he leaves Man U. It'd be silly for him to be riding the pine in his prime. He's shown with Belgium and his pre-Man U teams (hell, even his first year at Man U was pretty good) that he can be an elite goal scorer.
   166. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:10 AM (#5869063)
They're assembling the band!

15.07 BST: POGBA TO MADRID ...

Yes, that's news that Paul Pogba's brother Florentin has been offered to suburban Madrid club Fuenlabrada.

"It's true that we have been offered Florentin Pogba," Fuenlabrada sporting director Miguel Melgar told a news conference on Wednesday. "First we have to see if he is the type of player we want for that position. He has shown before his level, but we have to look far beyond whether he is [Paul] Pogba's brother. I've not decided yet."

Fuenlabrada will take part in the 2019-20 Segunda Division, having gained promotion last term, and may choose to take on the 28-year-old centre-back and Guinea international, who is currently on Atlanta United's books having joined the MLS side from Turkish club Genclerbirligi last February.

This comes after another Pogba, Mathias, recently transferred to another Madrid-based team, CD Manchego.
   167. Mefisto Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:10 AM (#5869064)
Lukaku's first touch can drive a fan crazy, but he can score. The problem at United is not him, it's the midfield. I wish him well.
   168. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:12 AM (#5869066)
Danny Welbeck signs for Watford. Seems like a solid signing for them.
   169. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:13 AM (#5869067)
They're assembling the band!

They've got the Heartbreakers, now they just need Tom Petty.
   170. jmurph Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:13 AM (#5869069)
Ha:
Get French Football News @GFFN
Breaking | L'Équipe report that Chelsea defender David Luiz is seeking to force a move to Arsenal. More follows.
   171. manchestermets Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:15 AM (#5869070)
Re: Castles

He is way off sometimes but also legitimately is sometimes first on breaking transfers. I think he must have an agent source or two. Or he could just guess and play the percentages. One of the things I found most interesting when I first started following transfers is how team and even player dependent the information is. Each club has one or two reliable sources.

Mourinho, or someone very close to Mourinho is definitely one of his sources. If he says something Mourinho related you can pretty much take it as gospel, otherwise not so much.
   172. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:19 AM (#5869073)
Someone posted this the other day over at CFC; in a weird coincidence, it was in response to a question regarding Castle's reliability as a source. It's a year-and-a-half old, so some things may have changed, but here you are: The Football Transfer Sources Reliability Guide
   173. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 11:51 AM (#5869105)
Weird that L'Equipe is reporting all these Arsenal rumors. I have trouble believing Arsenal would come in so late for a Chelsea player. They might as well bang their head against a wall.
   174. spivey Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:04 PM (#5869115)
I think Chelsea are gonna be very unlikely to sell squad players when they have the transfer ban.
   175. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:17 PM (#5869127)
Reports in Spain that Lo Celso to Spurs is done. I'm moving the probability to 60%. Until someone is tracking a Ryan Air flight I have a healthy skepticism.
   176. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5869129)
It was a long and windy road with some fun detours but it seems Spurs are 2/3 the way to getting the 3 targets they were reported after when the window opened--Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon--with Sess supposedly close as well. And Levy is vacationing in Miami during all of it like a ####### boss.
   177. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:35 PM (#5869139)
Reports in Spain that Lo Celso to Spurs is done. I'm moving the probability to 60%. Until someone is tracking a Ryan Air flight I have a healthy skepticism.

Screw a flight to England, maybe Gio has always wanted to visit a hendge ... I believe nothing until a player is sitting with pen in hand and MoPo's arm around his shoulders.

And Levy is vacationing in Miami during all of it like a ####### boss.

These are the times when I was BBTF had made the transition into the 21st century, .gif parties are the best, even when hopes are dashed by cruel, cold realities.
   178. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:37 PM (#5869142)
So ... I'm eyeballing ESPNFC and the Telegraph, any other transfer deadline trackers worth keeping watch on?
   179. jmurph Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5869145)
Nicolò Schira @NicoSchira
Confirmed! Paulo #Dybala has rejected #Tottenham and #ManchesterUnited. He is not interested to play to the Premier League. Joya wants to stay in #Juventus, even if Paratici wants to sell him. If he should leave, Dybala will value only #PSG or #Inter. #transfers
   180. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:38 PM (#5869146)
Guardian is reporting Lukaku to Inter is almost complete. What the hell are Inter going to do with Icardi? What team in their right mind wants to deal with that nutcase?
   181. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:40 PM (#5869148)
Dybala was never going to Spurs. It was a fun link, but players like Dybala don't move to clubs like Spurs. Maybe one day, but not yet.
   182. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:41 PM (#5869150)
Get French Football News @GFFN
Breaking | L'Équipe report that Chelsea defender David Luiz is seeking to force a move to Arsenal. More follows.

Sideshow Bob for a sideshow?

Perfect!
   183. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:45 PM (#5869151)
Dybala was never going to Spurs. It was a fun link, but players like Dybala don't move to clubs like Spurs. Maybe one day, but not yet

Just as important is that Spurs (*cough* Daniel Levy *cough*) were never going to pay for work through all the extraneous bullshit that signing Dybala to personal terms would have entailed.
   184. spivey Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5869152)
Guardian is reporting Lukaku to Inter is almost complete. What the hell are Inter going to do with Icardi? What team in their right mind wants to deal with that nutcase?

I think Juve wants him, don't they?

As for Dybala, he's good. But I don't know how he'd fit with Poch and the team. I'm not sure he's better than the current front 3, and he doesn't seem fit or like he has much of an engine or could be counted on to really press the other team like Eriksen. I don't mind not getting him. Now if Tottenham get Lo Celso and have a midfield 3 of Winks at the 6 with Ndombele and Lo Celso at the 8s, that feels pretty damn nice to me. With Sissoko as 8 cover for both guys, and then Dier/Skipp as cover for Winks. This is a team that actually can make some damn noise. And having Moura who seems to not be disgruntled that he doesn't start regularly is just beautiful for a team like Tottenham. Even Liverpool don't have a goal scoring threat like that off the bench.
   185. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5869154)

Hmm, Jiangsu Suning is owned by the Inter owners and they seem to have room for a star player.
   186. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5869155)
Just as important is that Spurs (*cough* Daniel Levy *cough*) were never going to pay for work through all the extraneous bullshit that signing Dybala to personal terms would have entailed.

We just don't have the prestige and don't pay high enough wages that a player will be inspired by the "project".
   187. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5869157)
Hmm, Jiangsu Suning is owned by the Inter owners and they seem to have room for a star player.

Sheeeeyyyiiiiiitttttt. Good luck getting Wanda to China!
   188. jmurph Posted: August 07, 2019 at 12:56 PM (#5869158)
Yeah I was mostly posting the Dybala tweet for the Inter link, which I hadn't seen before.

re: Icardi
I think Juve wants him, don't they?

I haven't seen or heard that link. He's also apparently claiming to be unwilling to go anywhere, so there's that!
   189. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:05 PM (#5869164)
Welbeck went to Watford. Gary Cahill went to Palace. Jenkinson is going to Forest. Koscielny to Bordeaux. Bojan was released by Stoke. (I apologize if I am repeating any of these).

I can't believe Liverpool got a Belgian club to pay 8M for Mignolet.

Did you know that 'karate kick' Nigel de Jong is still playing? He just moved from one Qatari team to another.

Zaha has put in a transfer request which doesn't mean anything because no one wants to pay what Palace is asking for.
   190. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:06 PM (#5869165)
I hate the transfer rumors with a passion. The season really can't start soon enough.

To be honest, I'm not even sure I care who plays for what team. I just want to see some competition.
   191. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:14 PM (#5869166)
   192. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:14 PM (#5869167)
We just don't have the prestige and don't pay high enough wages that a player will be inspired by the "project".

The reality is that Dybala is nowhere close to worth the difference between him and Lo Celso when you take into account Spurs' needs and the money when it comes down to transfer fee + wages + 3rd party buyout + image rights purchase.

And I don't think I'd want Dybala over Lo Celso even if Spurs had the stupid money to turn his head.
   193. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5869170)
The reality is that Dybala is nowhere close to worth the difference between him and Lo Celso when it comes down to transfer fee + wages + 3rd party buyout + image rights purchase.

It's not about reality, though. Real are willing to pay 120 million for Paul ####### Pogba. It's not really about soccer at this level but marketing and so on. Real Madrid are the club who said they couldn't sign Ronaldinho because he was too ugly to market (paraphrasing). Dybala is a very marketable player and he wants to be on a very marketable team. Spurs would be slumming for him. (Now watch him sign in the next hour...)
   194. J. Sosa Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:22 PM (#5869171)
To me it is like cleansing the palate. I’ve got enough room for transfers, the games, tactical analysis the whole bit. To each his own, but I certainly enjoy watching Alisson and Fabinho more than I did Simon Mignolet and Jay Spearing.
   195. J. Sosa Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5869176)
One of the easiest ways to figure out high profile deals is to follow the sponsors. Pulisic was a good example.
   196. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5869177)
It's not about reality, though.

Tell that to Daniel Levy.

I somehow imagine him as Prince Faisal, in this exchange:

Prince Faisal Emperor Levy : Ah yes, then Lawrence Eriksen is a sword with two edges... we are equally glad to be rid of him are we not?

General Allenby : I thought I was a hard man, sir.

Prince Faisal Emperor Levy : You are merely a General... I must be a king I must manage Spurs' bottom line.

197. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:38 PM (#5869181)
The offseason is so short in soccer, there's not enough time for me to get too sick of the transfer window. Honestly, I don't know how the players manage it physically and mentally. They only get a few weeks off a year.
   198. J. Sosa Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:40 PM (#5869183)
It can be argued they don’t. It isn’t quite rugby burnout but the shelf life is short.
   199. jmurph Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5869184)
197/198: and every year they add more and more tournaments and friendlies, it seems (great for us as viewers, I guess).
   200. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: August 07, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5869190)
flip
Page 2 of 10 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Yost (Voxter)
for his generous support.