Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

OT: Soccer Thread (2018-19 season begins!)

Let’s get it on!

August 3 - English Championship (Reading v Derby)
August 4 - Scottish Premier League, League One (ENG), League Two (ENG)
August 10 - English Premier League (Manchester United v Leicester City), Eredivisie, Primeira Liga
August 11 - Ligue 1
August 17 - La Liga
August 18 - Serie A
August 24 - Bundesliga (Bayern v Hoffenheim)
August 28 - UEFA Champions League Playoff Round
September 6 - UEFA Nations League

TV Rights:
UEFA Nations League - ESPN
UEFA Champions League - Turner Sports
EPL - NBC
EFL - ESPN+
La Liga - BeIN
Bundesliga - Fox
Ligue 1 - BeIN

Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:10 PM | 781 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 8 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 12, 2018 at 12:26 PM (#5725336)
City still good. Arsenal still have a lot of work to do. I'm not sure you can read too much into losing against the best team in the league.
   202. strong silence Posted: August 12, 2018 at 12:45 PM (#5725340)
J. Sosa thank you for those summaries. I found them to be informative and insightful.
   203. strong silence Posted: August 12, 2018 at 12:49 PM (#5725341)
Arsenal. I think the results will come when their new players can learn each other's styles and movements. Today, there were numerous offsides, crosses with no one on the end, and missed passes which won't continue as team cohesion builds during the season.
   204. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 12, 2018 at 12:50 PM (#5725342)
Cech really has declined rapidly. Emery asking him to play with the ball at this feet isn't helping.
   205. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 12, 2018 at 01:10 PM (#5725349)
German supercup (fox sports 2) and the Spanish equivalent (ESPNews) are on at 2:30 and 4:00 respectively
   206. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: August 12, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5725380)
Early thoughts are:

- City didn't look as devastating as I expected, but they did play much of the game without DeBruyne or Sane. Man, they're really loaded. They could have used more cover at defensive mid though. Pep seems a master at getting his teams to perform week in and week out in the league. Ederson looked a bit clownish at times in the game today though, which could open up a possible area for others to gain on them.

- Liverpool looked good. They're better than Tottenham, I think, and match up with City way better - but they're similar in that with their starting 11 on their day they're as good as anyone in the world, but I think the lack of offensive depth will hurt.

- Arsenal - I agree with Frank in #201 that it's too early to make big judgements, but it doesn't seem like they have quite enough real goal scorers or playmakers. It's startling to see how far Cech has fallen.

- Chelsea - I was really hoping they were going to mail in the year. Season comes down to if Hazard stays or goes. I'm inclined to think he stays, but a Chelsea friend of mine thinks he'll leave.

- Tottenham - They didn't deserve to win, a draw was a pretty fair result here. But getting 3 points on the road is good. Kane and Eriksen were pretty poor, and Son basically didn't play. That's their 3 best attacking players with poor/no game, so to get a win nonetheless is nice. Bright signs for me was that Lloris, Dier, and Alli - all of whom took a slight (or big, in Dier's case) step back last year, imo, were very good. Fullback will continue to be a weakness. Really hope that Rose can get fit and out of the doghouse, because Davies is just bad. Aurrier is even worse. He had the nice cross, but has just terrible positional sense, and commits way too many silly fouls. They're both completely untrustworthy. Not just to be able to hold their own against world class wingers, but to just not commit stupid fouls. Danny Rose from 2 years ago and Trippier are totally fine, though. Lucas Moura didn't do anything special but I like his speed, willingness to press, and he seems fairly technical. He's a nice guy to have in the front rotation.
   207. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 12, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5725392)
I thought Kyle Martino was spot on with his commentary during the game. Arsenal are learning a new system with a new coach and they’ve had to do it with a short pre-season. That they looked a bit unsettled isn’t a surprise.
   208. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 12, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5725397)
I think Shaqiri will end up looking like the Ox transfer this season. Good player, adds depth, and will probably end up surprising people.

I'm especially excited to see Mane get on the scoreboard twice. If he's back to 2016-2017 form then Salah doesn't need to be last years Salah for a realistic title challenge.
   209. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: August 12, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5725410)
Tbf, one of Mane’s goals was one of the worst non-offside calls you’ll see at this level.
   210. Mefisto Posted: August 12, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5725414)
Lots of surprising mistakes by keepers this weekend. I guess we'll see more of these as coaches demand more play out of the back.

City and Liverpool did everything they needed to confirm they're the class of the league. I wasn't that impressed with others, though I'm still not sure how to judge Chelsea.
   211. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 12, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5725426)
German supercup (fox sports 2) and the Spanish equivalent (ESPNews) are on at 2:30 and 4:00 respectively

So far, the SuperCopa has been the better of the two ...
   212. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 12, 2018 at 06:29 PM (#5725453)
Tbf, one of Mane’s goals was one of the worst non-offside calls you’ll see at this level.

Was Mane offside? He was onside when Robertson crossed to Milner (who was also onside, and entirely unmarked) at the far post and he was behind the ball when Milner played it across the front of the net, it's just that the entire West Ham defense retreated to leave him all alone. I could be misunderstanding the offside rule, but he was onside when the ball was passed ahead of him, and if he was offside when Milner passed the ball then Milner's only legal play would have been to take an incredibly narrow angle shot. Firmino was definitely offside, but he didn't have any impact on the play.

eta: or do you mean his second goal, where he was offside but only by a step or two.
   213. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 12, 2018 at 06:35 PM (#5725456)
It was the other Mane goal, and it was a clear offside. I disagree though that it was one of the worst non-offside calls st this level--it's relatively easy for a linesman to get fooled on a play like that. Still a bad blown call, but there are probably worse ones most weeks. Usually they don't lead to goals of course.
   214. The_Ex Posted: August 12, 2018 at 09:12 PM (#5725481)
There were no surprises in the premier league this weekend. Maybe Palace beating Fulham on the road but otherwise it was as expected.
   215. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 12, 2018 at 11:36 PM (#5725552)
Cech made some big saves in that game. Arsenal had no chance in general. The number of passes to teammates who were running in the opposite direction is indicative of a new system not yet in place.
   216. Obo Posted: August 13, 2018 at 12:00 AM (#5725558)
Maybe Palace beating Fulham on the road but otherwise it was as expected.

I watched that game. Fulham looked great in the first half with lots of movement and short quick passes to build up attacks, but the game changed when Palace took the lead against the run of play. Palace looked stronger in the second half, as if they'd successfully weathered the storm, and as time became a factor and Fulham began to press they became vulnerable to Palace's speed on the counter. Palace also won the battle of the keepers as Hennessey had an excellent game while Fabri looked shaky at times. I'm a Palace fan but Fulham should be fun to watch this year if they can get all that new talent to gel.
   217. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 09:27 AM (#5725589)
I thought Arsenal looked pretty decent, especially given the short offseason and the new signings. Just seeing actual pressure and good movement when they didn't have the ball was new. That said, City were pretty sloppy and wasted a few chances, it could have gotten out of hand late pretty easily.

but they did play much of the game without DeBruyne or Sane.

And no Silva.

218. Mefisto Posted: August 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5725646)
Has everybody seen this play? It's as impressive in its own way as Ramon Laureano's throw.
   219. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:10 AM (#5725668)
Has everybody seen this play? It's as impressive in its own way as Ramon Laureano's throw.

It was a great sequence but did Rooney not foul the #### out of that guy? The replay isn't conclusive but it looks like he fully went through the side/back of the guy's legs to get the ball. Great pass, though, and incredible job by Rooney to get back.
   220. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:24 AM (#5725681)
Didn't look like a foul to me. I thought he got his foot on the ball, as it was ahead of the attacker, then the attacker went over him. In other words, more or less a perfect slide tackle. It is hard to tell for sure though on that replay.
   221. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5725684)
I don't think it's a foul. My viewing of the play he gets in front of the guy enough and gets all ball first and the guy goes over him. It's a full blooded tackle as they say but it was clean in my opinion. The big thing to watch is that when Rooney makes contact with the ball if he had been coming through the side/back of the player's legs he would have kicked the ball toward his goal or out for a throw. That he was able to wrap his leg around it and keep it in play tells me he got in front of it.
   222. Mefisto Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5725685)
I thought he got the ball, though I agree it's inconclusive, but the way it played out makes it even better that the officials were all in no position to make a call. I'm sure Rooney was going to make the tackle even if he missed the ball entirely -- it's one of the (rare) situations in which taking the red is the right play.
   223. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:29 AM (#5725686)
I generally am more on the side of "it can be a foul even if you get the ball" if the tackle is dangerous or reckless, but I thought Rooney's tackle was fair and not a foul.
   224. manchestermets Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5725703)
Why was the DC keeper up for the corner? That's pretty unusual when a game's level.
   225. Mefisto Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5725706)
I wondered that too, but I haven't looked for an explanation. They must have really wanted/needed the win.
   226. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 13, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5725711)
Has anyone else signed up for ESPN+? I know they're giving out a free 7-day subscriptions, but I refuse to do even that until I get a listing of what's available. I know MLS, Serie A and the Championship, but I'd be interested to know about other leagues and sports. I don't understand why it should be that difficult. I googled it and I'm on page three without a comprehensive list.
   227. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5725720)
Watching the replay again, the guy Rooney stole the ball from didn't complain a bit or act like he was fouled, so yeah I'm convinced that it was clean. Just an incredible defensive effort.
   228. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5725723)
Why was the DC keeper up for the corner? That's pretty unusual when a game's level.

I saw someone on twitter saying they needed all 3 points for the playoff race? I know nothing of MLS's standings or playoff rules, so I'll go with that.
   229. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5725738)
Has anyone else signed up for ESPN+? I know they're giving out a free 7-day subscriptions, but I refuse to do even that until I get a listing of what's available. I know MLS, Serie A and the Championship, but I'd be interested to know about other leagues and sports. I don't understand why it should be that difficult. I googled it and I'm on page three without a comprehensive list.

This is not a great solution, but if you go into the ESPN app (on your phone, streaming TV device, etc.) you can look at the upcoming schedule and it will tell you what's on.

In addition to what you've listed, I believe they have one MLB game per day, plus a bunch of random college sports. That's all I know.
   230. J. Sosa Posted: August 13, 2018 at 01:03 PM (#5725775)
Evidently they also got FA cup.

Espn+

I am enough of a dinosaur to dislike streaming services but FA Cup and Serie A is a pretty good bargain.
   231. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5725790)
Interesting. They don't expand on this, though:
As part of the three-year, $55 million-per-year deal that it signed with IMG, ESPN also ended up with rights to England’s popular FA Cup tournament, sources said. The package also includes the rights to several other smaller international soccer leagues, all of which will be placed on ESPN+.
   232. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5725792)
Here it is:
ESPN+ has reached a multi-year media agreement for three more top-division soccer leagues – Australia’s Hyundai A-League and Westfield W-League, the Chinese Super League and the Dutch Eredivisie.
   233. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 13, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5725797)
ESPN+ is a pretty good gig. FA Cup, Championship/League One/League Two, Serie A, Eredivisie, all for $5 a month. Yeah I can swing that.
   234. aberg Posted: August 13, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5725820)
This is a starting 11 of guys who didn't start for City yesterday:

Bravo
Danilo, Otamendi, Kompany, Zinchekno
D Silva, Foden, Delph
KDB, Jesus, Sane

Given an average squad to rotate, that still seems like a top 4 team, and the other guys shredded an ok Arsenal team.
   235. Mefisto Posted: August 13, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5725827)
Zinchenko's been loaned out, I think. Your overall point remains valid.
   236. jmurph Posted: August 13, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5725832)
Zinchenko's been loaned out, I think.

I think that fell through?
   237. Mefisto Posted: August 13, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5725836)
Yep, looks like that's right.
   238. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 14, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5726633)
Sergio Ramos is a sack of ####. How much would it cost to bribe a Huesca player to snap his tibia and fibia in half?
   239. Mefisto Posted: August 14, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5726642)
Rooting for injuries is fine. Actually paying for them... not so much.
   240. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5726669)
I always forget and then am reminded when I watch him play how friggin good Ramos is, even this late in his career. It's a shame that he's also chosen to be a complete #######.
   241. J. Sosa Posted: August 14, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5726766)
Benifica went through. Down to PAOK to take them out now or Liverpool is doomed to pot 3.

Celtic got knocked out, that means more money for the PL CL teams. It was split 6 ways last year, 4 now this year.
   242. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: August 14, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5726774)
Watching the replay again, the guy Rooney stole the ball from didn't complain a bit or act like he was fouled
Nor did his coach, clearly visible on the sideline.
   243. jmurph Posted: August 15, 2018 at 11:06 AM (#5727116)
Apparently De Bruyne blew up his knee in practice today and early indications are he'll be out for months.

About that title race...
   244. Mefisto Posted: August 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5727136)
That's terrible. Hate to see that. City are so good they may be able to overcome that, but it could be a close thing.
   245. J. Sosa Posted: August 15, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5727140)
Fixtures are favorable for the most part if it is a couple months. But all things considered he is probably the best player in the PL, that sucks. It looked like Pep was planning on using Mahrez more centrally anyway. Is he expected to be the replacement?

It sucks for KDB, but I think City have the depth to handle it at that spot unless it is Ox level bad.
   246. jmurph Posted: August 15, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5727154)
I'd imagine it will be mostly Silva in that role? But who knows.

I find european injury news to be maddening compared to what we're used to in the US, so it will be reported as a torn ligament and then he'll miss like 2 months (hopefully!).
   247. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: August 15, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5727155)
That's both huge and awful news. DeBruyne played pretty deep and gave them both deep-lying playmaking and more defense than most of their other players are going to.

Now, I think that just means Fernandinho and Gundogan will start every game and if they're both healthy they can probably fade it, but they have no short-term depth in that area imo and those aren't guys I'd want to rely on health for (Fernandinho because he's getting older, Gundogan because he's often injured).
   248. aberg Posted: August 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5727181)
It looked like Pep was planning on using Mahrez more centrally anyway

I was thinking the same thing, especially with Bilva (Bilva vs. Dilva to clear up the Silva duality) playing really well in a wider attacking position. Sane and Sterling are such good wide options, plus Jesus can slot out there with Aguero. In other words, Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, Bilva, and Jesus are all wide attacking options. It would be great if they could get one or two of them to play more centrally if KDB misses a lot of time.

At this point, it's probably even more frustrating for them that they failed to sign Jorginho or another central MF in this window because that's the one place where more depth would be useful. Maybe Foden will play more?
   249. Mefisto Posted: August 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM (#5727182)
@247: I think it's a bit more favorable for City than that. For their fixtures against bottom-table teams, I'm sure they can get away with one or the other of Gundogan/Fernandinho, with maybe Silva and Mahrez (?). Also, don't they still have Delph? He could fill in too.
   250. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 15, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5727257)
The reasons to expect City to be fine without KDB are all valid but the dude was, with all due respect to Salah, the best player in the EPL last year. He's a huge loss. You don't just paper that over. They are still deep and very very good but if this is a half season or more situation I think it puts the title race wide open. Everything they did last year ran through him. Small samples obviously but he played at least an hour in every match except;

18 Mins - Match Day 33 vs Man United - Lost 3-2
DNP - Match Day 37 vs. Brighton - Won 3-1
DNP - CL MD 6 vs. Shaktar - Lost 2-1
DNP - CL 16 vs. Basel - Lost 2-1
14 Mins - FAC vs. Burnley - Won 4-1
25 Mins - FAC vs. Wigan - Lost 1-0
DNP - EFL Cup vs. West Brom - Won 4-1
DNP - EFL Cup vs. Leicester - Draw (won on Penalties)

There's lots of caveats but in a year where Man City lost 7 out of 58 games they lost 4 out of 8 in games KDB wasn't much involved (2-1-2 when he didn't play a minute, 1-0-2 when he played less than 30 minutes). I think it's easier to cover over a long term injury than a rest or a short term injury because you make proactive adjustments but I think you can't just handwave this away and say they are still definitive favorites.
   251. Mefisto Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5727265)
They are still deep and very very good but if this is a half season or more situation I think it puts the title race wide open.

"Wide open" for Liverpool, I think. I don't see the others as capable of winning, though the jury's still out on Chelsea and Spurs could pull it off if Kane is fully fit.
   252. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5727276)
How many points do you guys think KDB is worth over his replacement? He's good but he's not Babe Ruth. Man City are still heavy favorites but this is a real kick in the teeth for them in the CL.

On Sergio Ramos...how does he think Salah's injury isn't Klopp's business? I can't wait for him to get exiled to China or West Ham...
   253. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5727282)
How many points do you guys think KDB is worth over his replacement? He's good but he's not Babe Ruth. Man City are still heavy favorites but this is a real kick in the teeth for them in the CL.
In the league, because Liverpool may be very good, I can see the risk.

The CL knock-out stages don't begin until February. Unless Man City ends up in a very hard group, they should advance easily out of the group stage without KDB.
   254. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5727287)

"Wide open" for Liverpool, I think. I don't see the others as capable of winning, though the jury's still out on Chelsea and Spurs could pull it off if Kane is fully fit.

Again, as a Spurs fan, this year terrifies me ... not only won't the new stadium be ready for opening day, it won't also be open for the "new" opening day and the team doesn't currently have a stadium for the match against Man City on 10/28.

They were ... cromulent against Newcastle? They've got a bunch of the expected lower-table teams coming up, which is good ... but I think even finishing 5th is a disaster and it looks to me that is very within the realm of possibility ...
   255. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5727290)
Some hard core Orlando people tried to cry foul on Rooney for that tackle, but it's not even close. He just chases down Will Johnson and makes him look like an idiot. Which... Will Johnson. Orlando. Not precisely the hardest thing to do in the world, but Rooney did it with style and class (and nothing close to a foul.)

The real debate in MLS circles was whether or not Acosta (the guy that finished the long cross back into the box with the header for the winning goal) was offside. VAR took a look and rightly said "no way we have enough to take that moment away from the home team and the MLS marketing department.

DC are currently sitting at the bottom of the table for the MLS Eastern Conference with 21 points. But due to some weird scheduling this year, they have 3-6 games in hand against the squads immediately above them. To qualify for the playoffs (and thus, the MLS Cup) you need to finish in the top 6 in points, in your conference. DC played a vast majority of the games to date this year on the road, due to their new stadium being in progress up until the All-Star break. So they have games in hand, and virtually all of them at home, to make up ground on five or six clubs they need to pass to creep into the playoffs. They acquired Rooney explicitly for that "all home matches in our new stadium, that we need to win outright more often than not" stretch.

So endeth your "guy who watches primarily the selling North American league" update for today.
   256. jmurph Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5727292)
Fixtures are favorable for the most part if it is a couple months.

Yeah it really couldn't happen at a better time, I guess. Their next matches are: Huddersfield, Wolves, Newcastle, Fulham, Cardiff, and B&H, before facing Liverpool on October 6. So that's the better part of 2 months facing significantly weaker opponents while making the necessary adjustments.
   257. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5727294)

Yes. DC was playing for 3 points, not 1, at home. They were already up on a 10 man side (red card earlier in the match) and were in the 95th minute of stoppage time. One of the reasons Will Johnson didn't just push the ball back to the center of the pitch and let his teammate chase it down (and thus gave Rooney the chance to make that play) is because the ref probably blows the game dead at a draw if he does.
   258. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5727305)
Thanks for the interesting context--never would have known. Looks like DC could easily get to 8th place. Moving into 6th or better will take an increased level of play than they showed so far, but I guess that is what Rooney is for.

14 games left, 11 at home.
   259. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5727306)
I was amazed to see that ESPN+ has The Championship, The FA Cup, League One and Two, etc. That's a lot of games!

But looking at ESPN+ upcoming schedule, you can watch all the Serie A games on ESPN+ but I only see a couple Championship games each weekend and no League One or Two. And that's on ESPN+ where they could put up as many simultaneous things as they want, right?
   260. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:54 PM (#5727322)
Which... Will Johnson. Orlando. Not precisely the hardest thing to do in the world, but Rooney did it with style and class (and nothing close to a foul.)

And, give him credit ... he busted his ####### ass getting back down the pitch to chase down the runner and prevent the pass into the empty net. Something about Rooney has always rubbed me the wrong way, but that was pure max effort in 2nd-Half Stoppage Time from a 32-year-old guy who could easily be giving it 75% and collecting the paycheck.

The real debate in MLS circles was whether or not Acosta (the guy that finished the long cross back into the box with the header for the winning goal) was offside

I don't think he was offside, but I certainly think there wasn't enough evidence to over-rule the call on the field. But whooooo-boy, did Acosta get away with a trip in the build up: see #4..

Most likely made no difference in the outcome, but if it was seen, it would have to have to been called.

This is where retroactive suspensions really need to be enforced.
   261. J. Sosa Posted: August 15, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5727325)
Jose’s post is well taken but to Shooty’s point, is the difference between KDB and say Mahrez sufficient to drop more than a point or two to:

Huddersfield
Wolves
Newcastle
Fulham
Cardiff
Brighton

That gets them to Liverpool on 10/7. After that it is Burnley and Spurs. I don’t know. I think I may have talked myself into a circle. How much is KDB worth over a Mahrez replacement. I think 6 weeks is probably ok. Anything more than that it starts to hurt. As a frame of reference back when I was researching Alisson IRRC it is possible that he was worth as much as 10 points, which is insane. Outfielders are harder.

But as we discussed earlier, City finished 25 points up on Liverpool. LFC is more talented than they were. So if you think Liverpool is 10 points better than they were (which is a lot) and City is 10 points worse (which is a lot) this would get Liverpool in striking range possibly. But only if it is a bad injury I think. I just can’t see an argument that the dropoff is big enough with those matchups if it is a two month injury. If longer than that it might have a cascade impact, but in terms of strict player for player value I am pretty sure the loss does not rise to a sufficient level. It would take more than just that.

Re: Ramos

Yeah, that was exactly my reaction. “Um it is his business because you injured a 40+ goal scorer in a final with dirty play”. Just a thought.

Edit: This reads like I am saying Alisson is worth 10 points this season over Karius, very unlikely, what I am saying is that his likely unrepeatable season last year might have been worth 10 points and that the value he adds with Keita and Fabinho is worth 10. That’s fairly reasonable.
   262. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 15, 2018 at 03:11 PM (#5727340)
Boy the fixture list works pretty well for City right there. I didn't realize it was THAT advantageous. Still, while I wouldn't expect City to drop points to those teams, it is exactly those kinds of games where titles are lost. Just as an example the 2011-12 title that was won on the last day by City saw Man United lose games to 15th place Wigan and at home to relegated Blackburn. If they got 1 point from 6 in those two games they would win the title.
   263. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 15, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5727351)
One of the people who survived the terrible Italian bridge collapse was former third-string Cagliari goalkeeper Davide Capello, whose car was on the bridge when it collapsed. His car went down in the rubble, but he survived.

"I was driving along the bridge, and at a certain point I saw the road in front of me collapse, and I went down with the car," Capello told TV news channel Sky TG24.

However Capello managed to clamber out of his car, which he says was "attached to a pylon", and climb down the rubble to the police and firefighters waiting below.

"I was able to get out... I don't know how my car wasn't crushed. It seemed like a scene from a film, it was the apocalypse," the shaken 33-year-old added.

264. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 15, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5727354)
Wow, that's terrifying. I feel like describing him as "shaken" probably understates things.
   265. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: August 15, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5727366)
Looks like DC could easily get to 8th place. Moving into 6th or better will take an increased level of play than they showed so far, but I guess that is what Rooney is for.

If you're tracking the trends, Orlando is in complete free fall and Fire aren't much better. I fully expect DC to push ahead of those to quickly. Pushing all the way past solid but not spectacular sides in Montreal and New England will be a harder ask, but as you say, that's what Rooney is there for. He's brought a dangerous element to the DC attack that wasn't present before.

And, give him credit ... he busted his ####### ass getting back down the pitch to chase down the runner and prevent the pass into the empty net. Something about Rooney has always rubbed me the wrong way, but that was pure max effort in 2nd-Half Stoppage Time from a 32-year-old guy who could easily be giving it 75% and collecting the paycheck.

Rooney has always been described as a "heart of a lion" competitor type. It's hard to see that just watching one EPL match per weekend, in his prime, and his performances in the World Cup never really translated it the way a day to day vision into his style of play and sheer desire might. That play was astounding, both because of what you say - the ageing Euro superstar didn't check out and jog out the game; he busted ever loving ass and showed MLS players what it means to compete for every ball, to the last whistle - but then he turned around, clearly gassed from the run and tackle, picked up his head, and found a runner fully across the pitch before delivering the perfect ball to the back post from like, 500 kilometers away. That was one of those moments of a "just better than virtually everyone" player being better than everyone, even though he's 32.

That play goes right up there with Zlatan's lightening bolt golazo in his debut for LA this summer.
   266. J. Sosa Posted: August 15, 2018 at 04:26 PM (#5727409)
Heh. Ramos up to his usual tricks plus some showboating on a pen. So what does Costa do? Casual studs to the back of the head of Ramos a few minutes later.

They had been joking back and forth together earlier. All in a days work.
   267. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 15, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5727425)
Heh. Ramos up to his usual tricks plus some showboating on a pen. So what does Costa do? Casual studs to the back of the head of Ramos a few minutes later.

They had been joking back and forth together earlier. All in a days work.

AAAAARGH ... I completely forgot about the match, even though I looked it up earlier today. Well, 2-2, at least I'll see some sort of deciding action ...
   268. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 15, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5727454)
WHAT A VOLLEY!

Deserves to be the match winner deciding action ...
   269. J. Sosa Posted: August 15, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5727459)
Vintage Costa this match. Probably the best pure 9 post Drogba for me.

I think Atleti are my favorites for the CL as outlandish as that might sound. Added Lemar and Costa is back in form. Also got Rodri and Martins. More depth and width than they have had in the past. Glad to see them probably pull this one out. Real is usually in their head.
   270. aberg Posted: August 15, 2018 at 07:36 PM (#5727513)

The head-to-head collision between those two in the first half didn't go nearly as badly as I had hoped.
   271. Richard Posted: August 15, 2018 at 11:01 PM (#5727613)
But looking at ESPN+ upcoming schedule, you can watch all the Serie A games on ESPN+ but I only see a couple Championship games each weekend and no League One or Two. And that's on ESPN+ where they could put up as many simultaneous things as they want, right?

I suspect they only have the Football league games that are live in England or on the international feed. They are almost always Championship games except when there's an international break, when they will delve into leagues one and two.

If Sunderland do well they might show them occasionally.
   272. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 16, 2018 at 01:00 AM (#5727645)
What shitty news ... he might be KDB, but he'll always be "Dennis the Menace" to me ... just a joy to watch him play and a damn shame he's down.
   273. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 16, 2018 at 02:57 AM (#5727651)
These are the Championship games that will be available (as of now) for August through October on ESPN+.
   274. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 16, 2018 at 08:16 AM (#5727668)
Get ready for Getafe v Real Betis!

Really, I think La Liga would be better served by getting a better tv deal. As many of us predicted when they took the short money from Qatar, the BeIn contract has been a disaster for them. If they do stage a game here, it better be Real or Barca or no one is going to give a crap. I'm also surprised they're choosing to do this in the States rather than Asia.
   275. Wyoming Posted: August 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM (#5727831)
Question about ESPN+. Do you have to watch the games live or can you stream them later? Thanks.
   276. jmurph Posted: August 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM (#5727834)
Question about ESPN+. Do you have to watch the games live or can you stream them later? Thanks.

They're definitely available to stream later- not sure when they get posted, though. I wish you could start midgame from the beginning, as with a DVR, but I don't think that's possible on their service.
   277. aberg Posted: August 16, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5727931)
Really, I think La Liga would be better served by getting a better tv deal. As many of us predicted when they took the short money from Qatar, the BeIn contract has been a disaster for them. If they do stage a game here, it better be Real or Barca or no one is going to give a crap. I'm also surprised they're choosing to do this in the States rather than Asia.

I know they don't have great carriage, but I pay about $30 a month for Sling as my primary TV service, which includes BeIn, and I love it. I wish Serie A had stayed on there.
   278. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 16, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5727965)
Brian Phillips on Ronaldo

Or, more accurately, Brian Phillips on Brian Phillips' feelings about Ronaldo. He's always interesting, though. (Also, I did not know about the sexual assault allegations against Ronaldo.)
   279. J. Sosa Posted: August 16, 2018 at 01:03 PM (#5727990)
Thanks for the link.

It is one of the many reasons the athlete Ronaldo most reminds me of isn’t a soccer player, it is Kobe. I remember reading details of some of the allegations years ago. Ronaldo’s personal life has been the subject of inneundo for a long time by disreputable sources (although not specifically the alleged incidents in question which were more widely in print by better sources). More information may have come to light that I am not aware of, but I don’t think there is anything like the kind of detailed information that is available for Kobe’s incident.

As for Phillips, never my cup of tea for reasons you hinted at. Of the long form guys sometimes featured at ESPN I like Wright Thompson.
   280. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 16, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5727992)
I like Wright Thompson.

Me, too.
   281. jmurph Posted: August 16, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5728030)
I don't remember it coming up, but surely I or someone else here has mentioned the epic series Brian Phillips did on Football Manager? It's pretty great.
   282. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: August 16, 2018 at 01:52 PM (#5728043)
I don't remember it coming up, but surely I or someone else here has mentioned the epic series Brian Phillips did on Football Manager? It's pretty great.

I know I've linked to it recently, I go back and reread it every couple of years, it's a fun read and holds up: Pro Vercelli

Here's an extract from the "episode" where Phillips is trying to decide which team to make the series about:

Remember, the plan is to choose a desperate, abject, crushed tissue of a team, then review the game by writing a weekly chronicle of my struggle to lead them to greatness. (I use the word “struggle” out of modesty, obviously. Asking me to play Football Manager with a miserable team is like asking Mozart to compose in “a key with a lot of flats.”) So now it’s up to you to look over the list and tell me which scenario you’d find most entertaining. Vote in the comments section, and I’ll slavishly follow your will, assuming I agree with it. Here are the choices.

Athletic Bilbao. Playing a team that’s already in La Liga may seem like cheating. However, playing a team that’s only allowed to sign players native to the Basque region of Spain may seem like self-flagellation.

Pro Vercelli. A small-town club that won seven Italian championships between 1908 and 1922, before sinking into Serie C obscurity? Why, yes, I would like to lead them to a victory against Juventus. They even have a really cool crest.

Queen’s Park. Not to be confused with Queen’s Park Rangers, Queen’s Park are the oldest football club in Scotland. They play in Hampden Park, and thus enjoy a huge advantage in facilities over the rest of the Scottish Second Division. However, they need it, as they only use amateur players. This is pretty much the hors catégorie of the FM series. It would be, anyway, if my abilities weren’t so outstanding.

Afyonkarahisarspor. Not only does Afyonkarahisarspor have the most obscure name in all of FM—it’s 17 characters long, and translates roughly as “Black Castle Opium Football Club”—but their position as also-rans in the depths of the Turkish league system makes them a reasonably unlikely candidate for world-historic domination. Their city has a giant black rock rising in its center with a massive castle guarding it, and is also an important center of world opium production. The local cuisine features sausage. The role-playing possibilities are hard to summarize in one paragraph.

[edit] And BBTF's own (seemingly disappeared) ursos arctos appears in the comments!
   283. jmurph Posted: August 16, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5728050)
And BBTF's own (seemingly disappeared) ursos arctos appears in the comments!

Ha, yeah, I noticed that the last time I read through the series. I also see him in twitter threads every once in a while (usually MCoA's, I think).
   284. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 16, 2018 at 01:59 PM (#5728051)
I became a United fan primarily because of Ronaldo. He's never been my favorite player (probably Vidic or Carrick - I'm a little weird), but you couldn't doubt his talent and you always wanted to watch because of what he might do. I seem to vaguely recall rumors about those sexual assaults, but he probably paid his hush money and it got swept under the rug.

When he left I, I was a little disappointed, but I understood why. Soccer seems even more about rooting for laundry, moreso than US sports. Ronaldo is on his fourth team. I can see Messi playing in the US, China or a Gulf State. I'd rather just enjoy what a great player can do and divorce that from what sort of person he is. I guess in this day and age of social media and the cult of celebrity that's almost impossible. Those damn millennials!
   285. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 16, 2018 at 02:03 PM (#5728059)
Ha, yeah, I noticed that the last time I read through the series. I also see him in twitter threads every once in a while (usually MCoA's, I think).

He still posts at Onetouchfootball. I still have his set of Tottenham FA Cup finals DVD's I have to get back to him. If you're around ursus, I haven't forgotten! We were supposed to meet up again at a bar on the UES so I could give them back and it just never happened.
   286. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 16, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5728154)
I've been a fan of Brian Phillips for a long time, and his FM exploits were the start of that. He has a book coming out this fall, IIRC.
   287. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 16, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5728195)
Zenit beat Minsk 8-1 in Europa today. That's interesting itself, but the way it happened was crazier.

Minsk won the first leg 4-0. In the second leg, Zenit had pulled back 2 after 66 minutes, but then went down to 10 on a second yellow. Zenit still managed to draw level in the tie before extra time. Minsk then scored first in extra time, meaning that Zenit needed 2 to advance due to the away goals rule. They got their two within 6 minutes, going up 6-5 on aggregate. Then a Minsk player got sent off, and Zenit got 2 more.
   288. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 16, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5728224)
Wondering what's happening in the Burnley game? You're not alone. Apparently it's not being broadcast or even streamed live anywhere. That's frankly astounding for a game at this level involving an EPL team.
   289. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 16, 2018 at 05:31 PM (#5728280)
Looks like Burnley squeaked through in extra time again. That means the top 6 leagues still have all their teams in the UEFA cups. Portugal, in 7th, already has had two go out.
   290. Mefisto Posted: August 16, 2018 at 05:47 PM (#5728294)
   291. aberg Posted: August 16, 2018 at 06:06 PM (#5728310)
Being average at a bunch of stuff in a top league while being one of the youngest guys playing isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it? Sure, being on the front end of a market adjustment shines a light on him, but it only looks like a bad purchase if you assume that he can't/won't get better from what he was last year.
   292. Mefisto Posted: August 16, 2018 at 07:55 PM (#5728407)
I think the argument is that he's average now, but Chelsea paid top dollar. That's only a win if he develops a lot. Of course, it's Roman's money, not mine, so fine with me.
   293. J. Sosa Posted: August 16, 2018 at 09:57 PM (#5728548)
Re: Burnley/TV

That is a good example of why I root for them. I think they ranked dead last in a watchability ranking the Ringer came up with. It is kind of like adopting the ugliest dog at the pound. I also enjoy contrasts in styles, and it doesn’t get more extreme than Burnley.

Re: Statsbomb

I like Statsbomb, but I think the article is missing the point. Sure if Chelsea could get Oblak they would, even if he doesn’t fit the system. Oblak is a freak of nature and Roman was probably driving the bus at that point with Shevchenko and Torres in the passenger seat. But after that failed the choice isn’t between Kepa and De Gea or Ederson, it is between 70 mil for Kepa or 25 for Butland. Money isn’t an object for Chelsea, so value per money spent doesn’t play into it. As the article acknowledges there isn’t much data to go on. It is a scouty leap of faith sure but he is very well regarded in Spain.

But the biggest thing I didn’t get was the article spent a lot of time talking about a lot of things but you know what it didn’t talk about? Bilbao and Napoli. That would seem relevant. Under Valverde he was the starter for a Europa caliber side playing in maybe the best league in the world. At 21. Replacing Valverde proved difficult. Bilbao were bad last season.

His shot stopping numbers are indeed a concern, but that isn’t a priority in Sarri’s system. Having a keeper that is good at distribution is more important. Why don’t we know what Sarri’s ideal keeper is? He hasn’t been coaching on the moon.

Reina is washed up but he can still sling and ping the ball around. The keeper under pressure numbers were interesting, but I’m not sure why Ederson is relevant when his average pass is 17 meters shorter, unless I missed something, as I don’t have much of a talent for it. Sharper analytic minds here might well point out I am wrong.

Ultimately it comes down to scouting and Sarri. FWiW the guy Kepa reminds me of is Lyon Lloris. I’m good with that if I am Chelsea.

Edit to add: The point being, systems were given a tip of the hat for claimed crosses, but there are even more extreme systems and theories of how to bring the ball out.
   294. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 17, 2018 at 02:13 AM (#5728664)
During the world cup we had a conversation about the VAR "clear error" standard--namely, whether it meant the original call had to have clearly have been wrong, or whether it could mean that the ref had originally made a clear error in the process of making his original call. Most people seemed to think (with some reason, admittedly) that it should be the former.

Collina, chairman of FIFA's referees committee, seemed to take the other view:

[Interviewer] I think back to the World Cup final and the penalty that was awarded to France after Ivan Perisic handled the ball. The penalty was awarded by the referee, Nestor Pitana, only after VAR called for an on-field review. I understand that it's down to interpretation, but it certainly did not look like a clear error.

[Collina] I think those who watched it closely knew the referee could not have seen it since there were bodies in the way. And because he did not see it, VAR gave him the opportunity to review it. Then his interpretation was to give a penalty.
   295. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: August 17, 2018 at 02:25 AM (#5728665)
From the IFAB 2018/2019 laws of the game on FIFA's website, I'd say the language is pretty ambiguous:

The referee may be assisted by a video assistant referee (VAR) only in the event
of a ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ in relation to:
• goal/no goal
• penalty/no penalty
• direct red card (not second caution)
• mistaken identity when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player of
the offending team

The assistance from the video assistant referee (VAR) will relate to using
replay(s) of the incident. The referee will make the final decision which may be
based solely on the information from the VAR and/or the referee reviewing the
replay footage directly (‘on-field review’).

Except for a ‘serious missed incident’, the referee (and where relevant other
‘on-field’, match officials) must always make a decision (including a decision
not to penalise a potential offence); this decision does not change unless it is a
‘clear and obvious error’.

edit: BUT, in the "VAR Principles" in the same document it also says the following, which is less ambiguous:

The original decision given by the referee will not be changed unless
the video review clearly shows that the decision was a 'clear and
obvious error'.

If the original decision itself had to be a clear and obvious error, many of the penalty calls and non-penalty calls should not have been overturned, in my view.
   296. J. Sosa Posted: August 17, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5728728)
Interesting situation at Bordeaux. Poyet went on a highly entertaining rant in a press conference about management and got fired/suspended. There are two sides to every story, but it is looking a lot more likely that Roma’s version of the Malcom story was accurate and that Bordeaux’s management really is unethical/incompetent.

I especially enjoyed the bit where Poyet talks about a story in L’Equipe and that only three people could have leaked it, him being one.
   297. J. Sosa Posted: August 17, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5728743)
City says KDB is out three months.
   298. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: August 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5728772)
   299. aberg Posted: August 17, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5728842)
Man bites dog.

Doubly funny that they are complaining about Inter at the very same time that they appear to be publicly agitating to try to get Mbappe to force his way out of Paris.

Real's squad seems very imbalanced. They have too many attacking MF and wide attackers and not enough central attackers. The defensive options seem pretty clear, and both Kroos and Modric should play as much as possible (as long as Modric is on the team). Bale, as well, and ideally in a wide spot. That leaves three spots to divide up between Isco, Ascensio, Benzema, Casemeiro. I would probably drop Benzema from that group, but that makes it pretty hard to keep Bale out wide consistently. Could Ascensio play more centrally? I haven't seen him do that, but I have mainly seen him play in lineups that haven't required it.
   300. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: August 17, 2018 at 01:43 PM (#5728852)
I think Casemeiro or a Casemeiro-type player needs to be playing every game too. Modric is getting older and I'm not really sure how much running you can count on from Kroos.

I don't see a ton of Real, but Isco/Ascensio/Benzema rotating seems fine. They do seem to both be getting older and they just lost a ton of goals with Ronaldo leaving. He was a selfish player but he's a serious goal scorer. I think they may be taking a step back the next year or two if they don't bring in some galactico types.
Page 3 of 8 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.