Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

OT: Soccer Thread (2018-19 season begins!)

Let’s get it on!

August 3 - English Championship (Reading v Derby)
August 4 - Scottish Premier League, League One (ENG), League Two (ENG)
August 10 - English Premier League (Manchester United v Leicester City), Eredivisie, Primeira Liga
August 11 - Ligue 1
August 17 - La Liga
August 18 - Serie A
August 24 - Bundesliga (Bayern v Hoffenheim)
August 28 - UEFA Champions League Playoff Round
September 6 - UEFA Nations League

TV Rights:
UEFA Nations League - ESPN
UEFA Champions League - Turner Sports
EPL - NBC
EFL - ESPN+
La Liga - BeIN
Bundesliga - Fox
Ligue 1 - BeIN

Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:10 PM | 984 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 > 
   701. Baldrick Posted: September 15, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5744853)
NWSL playoffs kick off in a little under an hour. Portland vs. Seattle in one of the best rivalries in American soccer. Starts on Lifetime at 3:30 eastern.
   702. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5744894)
Any Spurs fans who doesn't Statsbomb, should check out the following article and the first 20 minutes or so of the podcast where they talk about Harry Kane:

Tottenham's Defensive Issues: Fixing the Right Side

Statsbomb Podcast

I'll add a longer post later, but I am becoming increasingly worried and pessimistic about this season ...
   703. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 15, 2018 at 05:27 PM (#5744901)
- Left back: Danny Rose was quite poor today, with a bunch of give-aways, and I remember at least one play where Liverpool was breaking and he wasn't really running hard back. He doesn't seem in very good shape, at least not the kind of shape fullbacks need to be in these days. It really has me wondering if he'll find the form he was in a couple of years back. This was an obvious weakness for the team going into the year and it's disappointing they didn't bring in someone to challenge him for the spot. Davies is mid-table filler.

I thought Rose was decent today, Salah didn't really have much of an impact.

Trippier on the other hand ... oof. It seemed like every time Liverpool attacked, especially in the 1st half, it was down Spur's right.

He's just unplayable against top tier opponents in a back 4, (he almost demands a tactical adjustment to a back 3 for coverage and that then removes another attacking player). See the 2nd graphic in the statsbomb article I linked above for the weakness that Spurs have on the right.

Spurs need fullbacks the general quality of 2016 Rose & Walker ... and right now they're not even close.

Frankly, I'd give Walker-Peters a run out at this point ...

704. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 16, 2018 at 12:12 AM (#5745008)
Watching the Revs and LAFC. Some observations:

1. The star of that TV show “Pitch” apparently was Revolution forward Teal Bunbuy’s sister. Dad was evidently a football player so the athleticism makes sense.

2. Even for a fairly uneducated viewer like myself the caliber of play here is just obviously so far below what you see in EPL or Bundesliga or other leagues. I don’t think it’s even Championship quality. I realize this isn’t an earth shattering observation (and these are two not good teams in a lesser league) but it’s really obvious.

3. The failing of the USMNT in recent years is on display here. Players like Bunbury, Kelyn Rowe, Lee Nguyen and Juan Agudelo are the types of guys from which the US needed some development. They just didn’t have any prime players playing at a level acceptable for a squad that expected to be in Russia last summer.
   705. greenback slays lewks Posted: September 16, 2018 at 12:55 AM (#5745015)
1. The star of that TV show “Pitch” apparently was Revolution forward Teal Bunbuy’s sister.

That took a minute to figure out, primarily because I had the wrong pitch.
   706. Mefisto Posted: September 16, 2018 at 08:58 AM (#5745025)
Speaking of the Galaxy, everybody should see this.
   707. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 16, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5745031)
So I have ESPN Insider (bought a magazine subscription for something like $20 which gives you Insider) which also gives me ESPN+. I then spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out how to watch on my TV. My XBox has the ESPN app but I couldn't find the plus channels. I then Google it and find out ESPN+ is not available on XBox, but is available on AppleTV. I am now watching Juventus, who do not look good against Sassulo (I know I'm spelling it wrong).

I really want to cut the cord, but it is so annoying trying to figure out all these subscriptions, devices and apps. I also signed up for NetFlix - my brother has a subscription, but every time I ask him to give me a log in he says 'yes' and then doesn't give it to me. Updating apps, authenticating and validating devices on poorly designed interfaces is just so tedious.

Does anyone know what "Universal Deportes En Vivo" is? Livesoccertv says all of the Champions League would be available to me by "authentication through TV/ISP provider" but the website, of course, is in Spanish.
   708. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 16, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5745039)
I don’t know anything about Universal Deportes En Vivo is. Can’t help there, sorry.

“Cord cutting” is a vague term. I guess I qualify as a cord cutter since I no longer have traditional cable, I use PlayStation Vue. It’s excellent. For the most part accessing the different options is pretty easy in my opinion. However, that comes with the caveat that different devices work differently. I’ve used Roku, Amazon FireStick and Apple TV and to put it simply Apple TV is dramatically superior to the other two in my opinion. I’ll give the disclaimer that I’m an Apple Guy (I ordered my new phone first thing Friday morning) and it works great. The apps update automatically and once you are logged in you stay logged in.

I’ll add that of the different subscription services I have (Prime, Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue, ESPN+) it is ESPN+ that is the most frustrating. It just is not a very intuitive app and just makes it very difficult to find what you are looking for.

Tl;dr it’s not you, it’s ESPN.
   709. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 16, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5745169)
Going back to the Spurs talk, my main takeaway this season is that Dembele looks a bit past it. When he was at his best he basically couldn't be stopped but now that's he's not quite as good he seems to get dispossessed much more easily, and he's never been the best passer or defender.
   710. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2018 at 10:27 PM (#5745255)
Dembele's past it, Kane doesn't seem to have ever recovered from his ankle injury, the fullbacks aren't up to snuff, our holding mids are dire or still recovering and our creative mids are non-existent.

Goalie (DUI aside), CB and AM are the only things I'm reasonably confident in right now ...

Levy really dropped the ball this past transfer window, and if it really is the case that the Spurs can't spend unless they sell, well ... Spurs might find themselves with a whole bunch of unexpected money. Good luck replacing the quality it will come from ...

I sense Europa ... this year and next.

711. Textbook Editor Posted: September 16, 2018 at 10:56 PM (#5745301)
Re: Spurs... I'm not sure if I said it here or just made the comment to TE Jr.--I think they should prioritize cups and Champions League and basically punt the league this season. I know this sounds insane, but here's the reasoning:

--They need to win something (or make a deep run in the CL) at this point, and doing either of these would energize the fan base way more than finishing 4th, going out at the group stage, and punting both cups would do.
--They either will this year or will next year have new stadium $ coming in; the additional gate revenue at the new stadium will (in part) cover the loss of CL revenue next season.
--multiple players up and down the preferred XI have played a crazy amount of soccer in the last 14 months; focusing on cups and CL means you heavily rotate & rest these key players so they not only don't get injured THIS season, they have a fighting chance of being fresh/ready for NEXT season. (If they insist on rolling as if the WC never happened, the injuries will start piling up come February, threatening not only this season, but next year as well.)
--You have a top-10 striker in the world on your squad. He's clearly, openly gassed but would also never willingly take 2 months off in-season. Steal him 10 days here and 10 days there by aggressively rotating and saying you're prioritizing the CL group games for him.

I've been worried about this season since the start of last one. The hangover from the WC was almost certain to hit Spurs worse than almost any club team in Europe. They can't condition their way out of this--players just can't play for essentially 20/21 out of 22 months between August 2017 and May 2019 and remain fit/healthy--it's impossible. If they don't manage this right, then, yes, the potential is their window slams shut and they burnout key players who never get back on track.

All that said... I think two results are not reasons to panic (just yet). I'd be curious to understand the logic of how they lined up against Liverpool, because playing Winks-Dier-Dembele seemed... curious to me. Lamela seems locked into a non-starting role, but I don't know... if Alli is out a bit and you want to ease Son back in, I'd give him a start over Dier (who has seemed, well, dire so far this season).
   712. J. Sosa Posted: September 16, 2018 at 11:21 PM (#5745337)
Re: Cord cutting

Yes, the need for multiple services annoys me. My oldest son gives me a hard time for old man rants, but he can stay off my lawn too, why would I pay 75 percent of what I was paying for 100 percent of what I want for eighty percent of what I want. And have to use multiple services to boot with varying degrees of utility. No thanks. VUE did look promising but the no local channels in some markets thing is a killer.

Eventually as it continues to fragment I will be forced to get on board the a la carte train, but it will suck. I’ve encountered a few millienialish types on other forums the last few years that seem convinced we are entering some type of sports television utopia where 5 dollars and an antenna will meet all sports viewing needs, but they are all summer children.

I have watched and attended sports for many years, and if there is anything I have learned, it is that it ain’t getting cheaper. I quite liked the non sports viewing public subsidizing my sports addiction thank you very much. This business of paying twenty or thirty here for CL and twenty or thirty there for PL sucks. But it is halfway here already.

Old man rant over.

Re: Spurs

Ball carrying mid. Was obvious that was the most pressing need they had. Didn’t even have to be a great one. That aside, Kane looks tired. Alli was out. There is reason for concern, but I think Spurs are still in good shape for a CL spot. They do look tired though.

Re: PSG

Be interesting to see if Firmino plays. I would think he will.

Edit to add: I dunno TE. Like CoB says the concern is that some of the big guns would jump ship. I think they should punt the cups and try to bring in help this winter if they make group stage CL. It is just so hard to get top tier players without CL.
   713. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM (#5745354)
but I think Spurs are still in good shape for a CL spot. They do look tired though.

I think Arsenal, United and Spurs are fighting for 4th as it presently stands. Injuries could change matters, of course ...

I don't think Spurs have looked "good"* in any of their matches this season ... and take a look at the 1st graphic in the article I linked above.

It didn't begin this season ...

[edit]* In the 3-0 defeat of United, Spurs gave up 23 shots, most ever in the Poch era.
   714. jmurph Posted: September 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5745455)
Agree with the complaints about ESPN+, it's pretty terrible. There are times when you literally cannot access actual content that they carry. There is no real search function on the Fire TV app, so unless the thing you're trying to watch is in the recent replay section, you can't actually get to it. It's kind of amazing (this is not a problem if you're accessing it through a PC/laptop whatever, as there is a search function, I believe).

That said it's cheap and has a lot of content, so I'm fine for now. They've also thrown in ESPN Insider access, which is good for a different NBA/MLB writers I didn't previously get to read.
   715. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 17, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5745695)
Bwahahahahahahahahaha

David Moyes said he would be interested in replacing Bruce Arena as the United States national team coach if he was presented with the opportunity.

Moyes, who has been out of management since saving West Ham United from relegation last season, has been linked to the opening, which has been filled by caretaker Dave Sarachan for the past 10 months.

General manager Earnie Stewart said earlier this month that he hopes to have Arena's replacement chosen by the end of the year but said he has not yet conducted any interviews.

"I would have to consider the USA job if I was approached because it's one of the big nations in world football, with massive growth potential," Moyes told the Sun. "They have a constantly improving league. You've got David Beckham's team coming into Miami and Nashville as well, so if it came up, I would have a real interest."

I just threw up in my mouth at the thought.
   716. jmurph Posted: September 17, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5745710)
General manager Earnie Stewart said earlier this month that he hopes to have Arena's replacement chosen by the end of the year but said he has not yet conducted any interviews.

This entire sentence is deeply confusing.
   717. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 11:13 AM (#5746410)
So... I sort of get the idea of resting Trippier and Toby, but, um... I'm really curious how they're going to set up today as a result of all these guys missing. I'm almost thinking they could start a back 3 of Rose-JanV-Dier, and maybe feature Lamela or Son at wingback... I dunno; I'm half expecting some craziness in the formation.
   718. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM (#5746451)
jmurph - That gives them 2 1/2 months to find candidates, interview them, reach a decision, put out an offer and have it accepted. That actually doesn't seem that outrageous. Presumably they already have several candidates in mind and assuming we are dealing with people who are *ahem* between jobs the timing shouldn't be a big issue. At worst they want to interview someone who has a job and they have the November international break to achieve that (or the end of the MLS season).

This assumes they are already working off of a list of 4 or 5 names. If they need to cast a wide net then yeah, that ain't happening.

I suspect the more likely scenario is that they already have THE candidate in mind as they did when Bradley got punted and are going to make that move when the time comes.
   719. jmurph Posted: September 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5746461)
jmurph - That gives them 2 1/2 months to find candidates, interview them, reach a decision, put out an offer and have it accepted. That actually doesn't seem that outrageous.

My main concern is what in the hell has happened over the last 10 months if not that?
   720. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM (#5746468)
I want the US to hire Sam Allardyce, if Scotland doesn't hire him first. Shake things up a bit.
   721. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5746547)
Well THAT snuck up on me. As an Ajax fan it pains me to say it, but Go PSV!!
   722. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5746586)
Save me Galavision you are my only hope...
   723. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5746588)
I swore off pirating years ago but espn+ and Turner sports might yet drive me back to villiany...
   724. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 01:41 PM (#5746606)
The Inter/Tottenham game has been pretty choppy. Inter look the most fluid, and Tottenham (obviously) look shaky building out of the back, but I think I'd have to say the best chances in the first half have gone to Tottenham.

Kane is really off his game.
   725. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5746614)
Kane is allegedly playing on one leg right? The impression I had was that he never gave that last injury a full chance to heal.
   726. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 18, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5746617)
That Messi free kick man, that was something else.
   727. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:05 PM (#5746624)
Eriksen has had a good game. Also I love him. Beautiful Dane.
   728. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5746625)
Woot! 1 nil Spurs.
   729. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5746628)
Tottenham is getting way more space in this half so far.
   730. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5746634)
Inter is sagging off not sure that is wise. Does seem to be tactical.
   731. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5746637)
Inter still look dangerous. They've got quite a bit of talent. I didn't realize Nainggolan joined their team.

Game is wide open now. Both teams chasing another goal.
   732. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5746640)
PSA for City fans:

TNT is not airing the City match tomorrow, but if you don’t like BR live or other *cough* streams Galavision seems to be airing matches that aren’t being aired on TNT if that is available to you.
   733. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5746641)
Lamela looks sharp.
   734. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5746643)
Yeah, I wanted no part of Inter as pot 4.
   735. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5746648)
Lamela has had a good game, but he's not good at the final shot or pass though. He's been great at carrying the ball from midfield, though.

I've been pretty happy with Aurrier, too. He's still got 20 minutes to Aurrier it up, but he's been good going forward and solid in defense as well.
   736. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5746652)
Yeah, I was going to say I think Poch really spotted something for this match. Aurier has had his best match by far for Spurs that I can recall.

Spurs just ripping them apart on the flanks.
   737. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5746656)
#### that was a great goal by Icardi.
   738. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5746657)
O. Dembele is so talented. I had been hoping Barca was stupid enough to sell him.

France with Dembele and Mbappe next couple of cycles is going to be ridiculous.
   739. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5746658)
Spurs-y

An away draw isn't a terrible result, but it means they essentially have to win the home leg, pound PSV, and hope they take more points off Barca than Inter does.

Rose for Kane? Oooo-kay.
   740. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5746660)
Dembele playing as a right winger now.
   741. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5746662)
Tottenham is barely hanging on now.
   742. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:44 PM (#5746663)
IF they get the away draw...
   743. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5746664)
Which they won't.
   744. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5746665)
####
   745. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5746666)
How ####### incompetent on set pieces are Spurs?
   746. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5746667)
Last 2 corners were ####### train wrecks. I've seen them covered better by U14 teams.
   747. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:46 PM (#5746670)
Rose for Kane didn't exactly lock things down.
   748. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5746672)
Yikes. Not much to be done about that. Great play by Icardi.

PSV sucks. Still should be in decent shape if they hold on for the point. Beat Inter at home and barring a fluke Inter Barca result should be ok. Inter having Barca fourth match helps.
   749. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5746674)
Shame they didn't have a CB like, say, Toby, to throw on there to lock things down.
   750. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5746675)
Damnit.
   751. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5746676)
The Winks and Rose subs were ####### garbage. Guess what, when you set up to have 20 guys in your 18 yard box for the last 10 minutes, dangerous #### is going to happen. Really disappointing.
   752. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5746679)
Europa League, here we come!

Seriously, this result is a disaster. Now they MUST win the home leg, likely sweep PSV, and possibly get 1-3 points off Barca (just in case Inter get any kind of result) to finish 2nd.

Bah.
   753. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5746680)
Good thing I'm watching Barca ...

NAH NAH NAH NAH ... I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

[edit] As I stated up thread ... it's Europa, Europa ... this year and next.

For a variety of reasons, this team is a mess.
   754. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5746683)
I didn’t get the Winks sub either. Lamela had been dangerous. Bunkering was sub optimal. Klopp has that weird thing too where he subs in Matip to see matches out. Not sure what the numbers are but it seems like they concede an absurd number of goals in the minutes he does that. Similar thing here.
   755. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:53 PM (#5746684)
The Winks and Rose subs were ####### garbage. Guess what, when you set up to have 20 guys in your 18 yard box for the last 10 minutes, dangerous #### is going to happen. Really disappointing.

Yeah, I didn't get them. At. All.

They sub Winks for Lamela and Winks is left sort of playing out on the right, while leaving in Dembele (who Winks is the more natural sub for). Then you take off Kane, bring on Rose and... Have Rose and Davies both out on the left? Wha?

Train wreck. Total train wreck.
   756. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5746686)
Yes, Tottenham will be chasing Inter the entire draw now.

I'm starting to have my faith waver in Pochettino. Further Kane doesn't look right and looks like he probably needs some time off, but I'm not sure I trust Poch to do that, and I'm not sure he trusts the teams to not dig themselves into an insurmountable hole if they do that.
   757. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:57 PM (#5746687)
What sucks is that up until the Winks/Rose substitutions, a draw would have been a fair result, and you could argue he got the personnel right. They score and it's like Poche #### himself, went fetal, and randomly gave the ref numbers of players to sub on and off. It's a massive unforced error. His sub patterns are getting to be like Andy Reid's clock management, or Dusty Baker's bullpen management...
   758. jmurph Posted: September 18, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5746692)
I'm starting to have my faith waver in Pochettino. Further Kane doesn't look right and looks like he probably needs some time off, but I'm not sure I trust Poch to do that, and I'm not sure he trusts the teams to not dig themselves into an insurmountable hole if they do that.

Total outsider (non-Spurs fan) perspective, but they've looked to me for two years now like they just need more reinforcements. I'm not sure that's on Poch, from what I can tell?
   759. Textbook Editor Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5746695)

This is the part I really don't get. He's clearly, clearly, CLEARLY exhausted. They have Son. They have Lucas. They could even run Alli up there when he gets back--they have options they can employ as ST... Are they as good as Kane? Of course not, but is 50% Kane better than Lucas or Son at ST? I'd argue no.
   760. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5746700)
Total outsider (non-Spurs fan) perspective, but they've looked to me for two years now like they just need more reinforcements. I'm not sure that's on Poch, from what I can tell?

Hard to say how all that blame should be spread, and if he's just covering the team with his statements. But the way he's talked made me wonder if he's part of the problem in that regard.
   761. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5746703)
He's clearly, clearly, CLEARLY exhausted.

Exhausted?

He hasn't looked right since his ankle injury last season.

Regardless, he needs time off ... and you're right there are (and were) cromulent options up top.
   762. jmurph Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5746705)
Hard to say how all that blame should be spread, and if he's just covering the team with his statements. But the way he's talked made me wonder if he's part of the problem in that regard.

Ahh, a little late period Wenger-ish?
   763. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5746706)
As I mentioned earlier I thought Poch had a really good game plan to start but then subbed out Lamela. I just didn’t get that at all. He did seem to panic a bit, but he has a lot of tired players. I would be interested to know how much the odds shifted for advancement after Inter’s second goal.

Poch has had a couple of high profile growing pain moments in CL matches recently but it happens to the best. At least he usually tends to get things right at the start. Roma’s manager gave away a CL semifinal and even a great manager like Pep blinked a few times in big matches. It happens. You could just see it on Poch’s face though, he knew.

764. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5746716)
Doh. Firmino not starting. Surprised at Sturridge selection thought Salah would slide over and Shaqiri start.
   765. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5746717)
Also the dreaded Milner, Hendo, Wij hydra... Sigh. I am feeling... Not optimistic.
   766. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5746735)
Like I said. Studge the obvious choice!
   767. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5746756)
PSG v Pool has been a pretty good game. Looking forward to the second half - Liverpool dominated the first 5-10 minutes but I thought it was pretty even after that and this game looks to have more goals in it.
   768. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 03:58 PM (#5746766)
I don’t recall a visiting section dominating the away end to that extent in a CL match at Anfield. Weird vibe to the game. Despite the scoreline not super happy with how it went.
   769. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:03 PM (#5746772)
From the Graun MBM:

Looking at PSG’s goal again, I should mention that Cavani - in an offside position - tries to connect with the cross before it runs through to Robertson, who inadvertently helped it on to Meunier. That counts as interfering with play and thus the goal should have been ruled out for offside.
   770. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5746794)
Liverpool's first goal came from a secondary ball where the first ball was played to a guy a yard offside, so turnabout is fair play.

I also agree with calling back the most recent goal. Sturridge has a right to go for that ball, but went studs up. Not sure what I think about that being card worthy but I think people would have different opinions if that challenge happened at midfield.
   771. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5746802)
I tend to side with the attackers on fouls in the box, I think goalies are seriously overprotected. But with that said I'm with Spicey, I think that Liverpool goal was rightly disallowed.
   772. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5746810)
Wow PSG has been seriously outplayed in this half, but their front 3 are so damn good
   773. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5746815)
The only problem I had with the Sturridge play is it looked like the officials closest were going to let it stand. I had no problem with the call itself, the keeper was taken out of the play.

Just didn’t like the flow of this match. Sleepy. Salah was ####. Probably worst match I have seen him play. Thought Shaqiri should have come on sooner. Don’t like that midfield combo. No linebreakers. Hopefully can still pull it off.
   774. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5746817)
Bobby!!!!!!!!!
   775. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5746819)
Firmino is so good. I made some comment I think early last year that I didn't think he was great, and I was very, very wrong.
   776. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5746820)
Phew. Wow.
   777. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5746821)
When I saw he wasn’t starting I assumed they were toast. The press just isn’t there without him at the tip of the spear.
   778. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 18, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5746822)
Jordan Henderson gets away with so many fouls in the middle of the pitch. That particularly caught my eye today. He comes from the Erik Lamela/Arturo Vidal school if go in hard on the ball leg and if you don't get the ball just wipe 'em out.
   779. J. Sosa Posted: September 18, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5746830)
He has always been aggressive but after the chronic feet problems it seems like he has lost some athleticism. Tends to clatter people more and mistime tackles. I don’t like him playing anything other than the six especially with Gini. As a 6 his weaknesses aren’t as pronounced and he seems to play more under control. I don’t mind the rough stuff though as long as he isn’t giving kicks away in bad spots, they could actually use more of that.

I prefer him over Gini at that spot. Fabinho needs to hurry up and learn the system.
   780. Fourth True Outcome Posted: September 18, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5746883)
I've been forgetting to pop into this thread to chat NWSL with Baldrick and anyone else who cares. I'm going to tonight's NC Courage/Chicago Red Stars game. I'm excited to attend an NWSL game where I don't truly care about the outcome, unlike a Thorns game, and to sit in a different part of the stadium from my normal seats. It's too bad that NCC didn't get the home game they earned, though I'm not sure things really could or should have played out differently. I'm assuming it's the Courage's game to lose, but if anyone can steal one it's Sam Kerr...
   781. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 18, 2018 at 07:42 PM (#5746931)
That reminds me. I am thinking of attending a Brentford game at Griffin Park in October with my wife. Never been to London (or to a professional soccer game live anywhere!). Any recommendations for me? I don't really care about having a great seat to see the action, but I'd like to have a fun/memorable experience.
   782. jmurph Posted: September 19, 2018 at 09:32 AM (#5747192)
Looking for advice: I might be in London the day that Man City plays at Fulham, and I'm looking for ticket advice. Any suggestions? Looking at stub hub the prices are currently insane- $150-250, but the game isn't until March 30. Should I expect those to drop, stay the same, go up...? Are there other places I should look?

Also, as a Man City fan would I need to definitely buy tickets in the away section? I wouldn't be wearing a City shirt or anything, and wouldn't be engaging in a lot of raucous celebration regardless (I'd also have at least my 5 year old with me, maybe also my wife and 3 year old).

Anyone with experience have thoughts? Thanks!
   783. frannyzoo Posted: September 19, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5747558)
I have four channels showing 3:00 EDT CL games. Each and every one is showing RM/Roma (One in English, Three in Spanish). I guess Bleacher Report Live, or whatever, feels this will force me/us to buy their streaming. Alas, this will not be happening.

784. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 19, 2018 at 03:39 PM (#5747588)
Pogba with a great goal. That's good for ManU's group chances. On the other hand, Ronaldo getting sent off against Valencia is very much not good for ManU.

edit: lot of people saying the red was very harsh and Juve will surely appeal, so who knows if Ronaldo would miss the game at old Trafford.
   785. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 19, 2018 at 03:46 PM (#5747592)
Really tough penalty call against Young Boys on a handball. United up 2-0.

edit: what is going on in Manchester and in Valencia? City down 2-0 at home, and Valencia goes down a goal against 10-man Juve. Bad job guys.

City can very likely weather a bad home loss early in the group, especially since the other two teams drew today, but i's hardly ideal. Valencia, on the other hand, probably really needed to take advantage of 10-man Juve.
   786. jmurph Posted: September 19, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5747593)
Huh, City gonna go ahead and get beaten soundly at home I guess. Super.
   787. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 19, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5747612)
At least Inter is probably better than Lyon.

Although, the good news for City is this kind of embarrassing loss shouldn't jeopardize their chances of advancing too much, whereas it did for Spurs.
   788. frannyzoo Posted: September 19, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5747620)
Yes, this is how bad Valencia are at present (not that I'm able to watch the game). Barely out of the bottom three in La Liga and down 0-2 at home v. Juventus down to 10. The Bats are forlorn.
   789. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 19, 2018 at 04:43 PM (#5747635)
Heh. Second to bottom in the La Liga table sits Valladoid, with just two points from 4 games. The amazing thing is they have only allowed only 2 goals so far this year, fewest in La Liga so far this year, and mathematically the fewest possible to end up with 2 points from 4 games. They are probably going to want to score a goal at some point this year...
   790. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 19, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5747638)
I'm not about to feel bad for Ronaldo but what is the call exactly? Hair pulling?

The only angle available from where I sit looks like a big fat nothing that would likely be overturned. Not exactly a Zidane headbutt there.
   791. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5747647)
Bad loss for Man City, it's true, but the loss is a killer for Hoffenheim and Shakhtar, who now are way behind Lyon in the race to advance from the group. Looking at 538's xG, it looks like Man City had a lot of good offensive possession but had trouble turning them into high percentage shots. Add in some good finishing by Lyon and you have an upset.

Here's a weird one on 538: Valencia dominated Juve on "non-shot xG" (2.9 to 0.8), but got crushed on shot xG (1.9 to 4.2--note that 538 counts penalties in their shot xG). Score could have been worse. I don't think I've ever seen a 2 goal difference in one direction and a 2-goal difference in the other direction in the same game.
   792. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5747656)
I'm not about to feel bad for Ronaldo but what is the call exactly? Hair pulling?

The only angle available from where I sit looks like a big fat nothing that would likely be overturned. Not exactly a Zidane headbutt there.

I thought they were calling the elbow on the edge of the box as he came into the play. It looked like he swung his arm and may have caught the defender in the face. The defender went down and that's when Ronaldo grabbed his hair in a way that Ronaldo thought (or was trying to sell) that his elbow didn't touch him.

But the broadcast I saw (Unimas) didn't have a good angle of it. I wouldn't swear that he caught the guy but I wouldn't swear he missed him either.
   793. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:10 PM (#5747658)
If I had my way, touching another player intentionally and unnecessarily, in petulance, during a dead ball situation, should be a caution every time.

I hate that kind of behavior but I still don't think it's anywhere near a red.

edit: if the red was for the elbow it was very likely also a bad call, but I'd have to take a closer look at it.
   794. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5747662)
It's not a great look but this is what I can find. His arm goes up by the player's face, the player goes down. I don't think he caught the player (or if he did it was a glancing, unintentional blow) but I think that and not the hair pull is what he was sent off for.
   795. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5747664)
Oh man, just found this. Assuming that's not edited that's just absurd.
   796. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:25 PM (#5747672)
Heh. Based on that last link, if I had my way the defender would have been cautioned for simulation for the "elbow", and Ronaldo would have been cautioned for putting his hands on him after in petulance. It's just hard to feel bad for Ronaldo in general, but he surely got jobbed on this one. I bet his suspension is rescinded or at the very least reduced to just one game.
   797. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:30 PM (#5747674)
Oh man, just found this. Assuming that's not edited that's just absurd.
That looks to me like the defender should get at least a yellow for the dive, and Ronaldo maybe a yellow for touching his head. It did seem like there was a brief clench of hair, I have no idea if that should be an auto-card or what.

I can see Ronaldo being annoyed at the dive, for sure, but on the other hand, how many calls has he been on the good side of over the years?

In other words, "What Bea said". Beverage of choice, Sir.
   798. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 19, 2018 at 05:46 PM (#5747683)
I wonder if there'd be any market for a Floplympics. Points for flopping, points for whining, extra credit for tears. Neymar and Ronaldo would be the top seeds; not sure if there's enough contenders to make it interesting enough to have a full bracket.

Luca Toni could judge - I'm sure he's got some time on his hands these days.
   799. J. Sosa Posted: September 20, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5748027)
Re: franny

Yes, exactly. It is the principle of the thing. I haven’t quite been able to exactly pinpoint why Turner sports/BR live irritates me so much. It is probably a combination of factors. One, I think it hurts the sport in the US and is emblematic of the sort of shitty decisions Serie A and La liga have made. Two, they are airing a hundred fewer games than Fox, and Fox sucked. Three, CL is really a tournament. NBC streaming a lot of matches under a seperate paywall annoyed me, but I will admit it made some sense.

The PL is like MLB, I can catch a lot of Red Sox games without paying extra, but not all. And NBC does show a lot of games on multiple channels. But Turner Sports/BR Live? #### that. They don’t even show matches on TBS or one of the other channels instead of crappy sitcom re runs. And no Europa!

I already pay them for their shitty array of networks, to me it is like March Madness. Give me Lokomotiv on Tru Tv. It shouldn’t annoy me as much as it does, but this business of 4 total games a week on TV where they actually have the gall to only tap the main feed for the swill they are shoveling, holy crap. I’m supposed to pay them for a reddit link? Nope. They actually make me miss Fox and Alexi Lalas. I suppose I shouldn’t even be mad, that’s incredible.

Re: City

Surprising, but I think Lyon gets sold a little short. They will be inconsistent, but they have some of the better up and coming players in the world in N’dombele and Auoar, etc. also kept Fekir. It was painful watching him score that goal. Textbook Klopp goal. Sigh. It was a weird mix of relief and dissapointment thet the deal collapsed. I keep trying to talk myself out of the idea that if Lyon crash out he might still make a VVD type January move. Cup tie rule changed.

Re : Ronaldo

It was dumb, but I didn’t really have a problem with it. It has always amused me that at times you can get away with annihilating a dude on a tackle, but often any kind of contact after the play with hands to the face is a red. Dumb but not unprecedented.
   800. Sean Forman Posted: September 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5748028)
Oof City. Hopefully this will light a fire under them. I do wonder if we are starting to see the WC hangover for Spurs and City.
Page 8 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Yost (Voxter)
for his generous support.