Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

OT: Soccer Thread (2018-19 season begins!)

Let’s get it on!

August 3 - English Championship (Reading v Derby)
August 4 - Scottish Premier League, League One (ENG), League Two (ENG)
August 10 - English Premier League (Manchester United v Leicester City), Eredivisie, Primeira Liga
August 11 - Ligue 1
August 17 - La Liga
August 18 - Serie A
August 24 - Bundesliga (Bayern v Hoffenheim)
August 28 - UEFA Champions League Playoff Round
September 6 - UEFA Nations League

TV Rights:
UEFA Nations League - ESPN
UEFA Champions League - Turner Sports
EPL - NBC
EFL - ESPN+
La Liga - BeIN
Bundesliga - Fox
Ligue 1 - BeIN

Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:10 PM | 1024 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 > 
   801. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: September 20, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5748039)
flop!
   802. J. Sosa Posted: September 20, 2018 at 11:11 AM (#5748042)
PSA:

Galavision/Unimas is showing Sevilla v Standard liege, Olympiacos v Betis, Arsenal v Worskla, and Chelsea v PAOK.

803. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 20, 2018 at 11:56 AM (#5748099)
No Dudelange v Milan?

On Ronaldo, apparently everyone is saying that UEFA "can't" rescind it which seems ludicrous. So probably just a one game ban.

The only reason that I can see that the linesman called for the red is that he thought there was a fairly malicious hair pulling. The video clearly doesn't show that, so can't UEFA rescind the red under the theory that while the linesman saw the incident generally, he didn't get an accurate perception of it? In other words, it's not the linesman's judgment that would be second guessed, but his actual view of the incident.
   804. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 20, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5748106)
I could see the lineman also giving the red if he thought when the defender flopped it was a real elbow to the face. I feel like there should need to be some clarification from the refs after the game on what a call like that was based off. I mean it was wrong either way but if it was for the hair pulling it's a bit more understandable imo. It looked like Ronaldo was considering pulling his hair, but kind of stopped at the last second and just very slightly pulled it, and mainly just ran his hand through his hair.
   805. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5748140)
Villarreal with a first minute goal against Rangers. Way to start the group stage, Rangers!

The PAOK/Chelsea game is the biggest one of the day, as PAOK is decent and at home, and Chelsea is the best team in the group stage.
   806. jmurph Posted: September 20, 2018 at 02:01 PM (#5748180)
(Bumping for the new page)

Looking for advice: I might be in London the day that Man City plays at Fulham, and I'm looking for ticket advice. Any suggestions? Looking at stub hub the prices are currently insane- $150-250, but the game isn't until March 30. Should I expect those to drop, stay the same, go up...? Are there other places I should look?

Also, as a Man City fan would I need to definitely buy tickets in the away section? I wouldn't be wearing a City shirt or anything, and wouldn't be engaging in a lot of raucous celebration regardless (I'd also have at least my 5 year old with me, maybe also my wife and 3 year old).

Anyone with experience have thoughts? Thanks!
   807. aberg Posted: September 20, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5748207)
Looking for advice: I might be in London the day that Man City plays at Fulham, and I'm looking for ticket advice. Any suggestions? Looking at stub hub the prices are currently insane- $150-250, but the game isn't until March 30. Should I expect those to drop, stay the same, go up...? Are there other places I should look?

That's funny- I just returned from Ireland and came very close to going to Manchester for the reverse side of that fixture. Timing ended up being pretty awkward, so I ended up watching the Ladies Gaelic Football National Finals instead.

Anyway, a cabbie told me that tickets to games in London have been generally outrageous, except for Spurs, who have had lots of cheap tickets available.
   808. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 20, 2018 at 02:48 PM (#5748208)
A couple interesting early game Europa results:

Rangers battling back twice against Villarreal in Spain for a draw. That was unlikely.
Frankfurt coming back to beat Marseille in France. A fairly significant upset and a huge result in that tough group.

edit: and to be fair to Astana, they also battled back twice on the road to a far superior Kiev.
   809. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5748222)
Wow. xG says Chelsea allowed PAOK absolutely nothing going forward, and should have won by 2 or 3 goals easily. I was barely watching the game because I had to work.
   810. jmurph Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5748250)
Anyway, a cabbie told me that tickets to games in London have been generally outrageous, except for Spurs, who have had lots of cheap tickets available.

Blurgh. It made sense to me that Craven Cottage would be expensive, given that it's tiny, particularly when hosting a popular team. But I was hoping something sub-$100 would be realistic.
   811. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5748252)
If you want to watch city then it’s probably cheaper to watch in Manchester or a match midweek. As long as you arent vocal I don’t see it being a problem with any of the London teams (Except Millwall but they aren’t in the premiership) especially if you are clearly foreign.

If you just want to watch a match championship games are plentiful and cheap, although London teams are fewer nowadays.
   812. strong silence Posted: September 20, 2018 at 03:45 PM (#5748267)
"clearly foreign."

Should I say I'm Canadian if asked?

813. aberg Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5748287)
If you just want to watch a match championship games are plentiful and cheap, although London teams are fewer nowadays.

May I suggest my Hoops? Unbeaten in 5!
   814. jmurph Posted: September 20, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5748306)
Thanks Frank. I would love to see any match but it's less urgent if it's not the team I follow*. It is just fortuitous that they are going to be in London when I will (likely) be there, too, so I'll try to make it work if it doesn't break the bank. But if I give up on that I might look at the Championship schedule.

*Oh also Craven Cottage has been on my list of stadiums to visit one day, so it's doubly attractive.
   815. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 20, 2018 at 05:09 PM (#5748326)
Dudelange didn't look half bad most of the game, and only lost 0-1. xG didn't have it as very close though: 0.2-2.9.
   816. Sean Forman Posted: September 20, 2018 at 07:33 PM (#5748404)

I hate to say it, but I suspect those prices might hold. Fulham has been down for awhile, tiny stadium, champs coming to visit. Any chances for mid-week matches, though I know you want to see City. Maybe take the family to a Championship match and watch City drub Fulham at a pub with great atmosphere. I had a lot of fun watching city play everton while I was in barcelona. Anyways, on the other hand....

I saw the opening match last season at Stamford Bridge vs Burnley. I joined the chelsea club like 30pounds (yes, I'm a card carrying blue) and then got up at 2am (7am london time) to get tickets on the website at face value (maybe 40 pounds I don't remember). For that, you could only get 1 ticket/member and they were high up on the endline in the side stand. I don't think I could have gotten tickets if it was city, just one of the lesser matchups.

You might feel out the City fan club in the US and maybe join and see if you can pick up tickets in the away allotment. That might be easier given that Fulham isn't a big rival match and might not be the big draw for away fans.

My uneducated impression is that four connected seats is going to be a pretty hard ask for City. And that most of the secondary market is one or two tickets controlled by a single ticket owner. I've also read that you can sometimes connect via facebook etc and they'll drop off their tickets which are some sort of badge at your hotel and then pick them up after the game, but that scared me a bit. I'm not that trusting when I have one shot to see a premier league game.

I paid 150 euros face at the Camp Nou (pretty good seats, not fabulous). That was via their website. Game wasn't sold out.

I attended the chelsea match as a neutral, so I can't speak for how much grief you'd get in a city kit at Craven cottage.
   817. Richard Posted: September 20, 2018 at 09:32 PM (#5748496)

Whilst I don't know much about the secondary market (because when I go as an away fan I not have any concern re getting tickets as I have relatives who go so often they have priority via my team's loyalty system) I do know that Fulham is unique amongst PL and EFL clubs in that it has a "neutrals" section which is not exclusively designed for home or away fans. I would look into that.

You could call the club and play the once in a lifetime trip to London card, and see where that gets you. I know people who've done that for other clubs.

One problem is that the game might be moved for TV - those games aren't picked until much nearer the time. It could be Friday night, a different time on Saturday, or on Sunday, or on Monday night. Hard to say for certain.

Craven Cottage is not large, which does not help the situation and drives prices up. There are a number of other games on in London that weekend:

Palace v Huddersfield
West Ham v Everton
Arsenal v Newcastle
QPR v Bolton (Championshp)
Charlton v Bradford (League One)

If you have a lot of trouble re Fulham and just want to see a game, all of these are easier tickets to get. Arsenal is a much easier secondary market ticket, West Ham won't be full, Palace might not be full, and there will be tickets aplenty for both lower division games. All of these grounds (and Fulham) are in easy reach of central London except Palace, which is a bit further out and a longer walk.

Fulham fans have no negative reputation at all but I would never wear away colours in the home section at any ground in England. Just not done. If you go in the away section you will be fine in club colours walking to and around the ground, particularly if you have small children with you.
   818. jmurph Posted: September 21, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5748694)
Thanks Sean, Richard, and others who weighed in, that's all super helpful. I'm probably going to wait a while until our plans solidify and then make a decision. I suspect as we get closer the price I'm willing to pay might increase...

(And seriously again just to reiterate, I wouldn't wear and actually don't even own any City gear, so no concerns there.)
   819. Sean Forman Posted: September 21, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5748958)
(And seriously again just to reiterate, I wouldn't wear and actually don't even own any City gear, so no concerns there.)

On this note, it was a lot of fun to go into sporting goods stores in England and Spain and realize,"Wait a second, they have a spurs section, a city section, an arsenal section and in Spain there is even a small Villareal section of gear."

I made sure we hit the Lillywhite's in Piccadilly Circus.
   820. I am going to be Frank Posted: September 21, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5749122)
Just remember that Mike Ashley owns Sports Direct, so you probably don't want to give him more money.
   821. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5749471)
Man United looking very mediocre again, this time at home to Wolves. If they don't get any better, Tottenham won't have anything to worry about from them.

Cardiff and Huddersfield solidifying their spots at the bottom of the table with poor games. Burnley finally making a case for non-relegation with a good win.

Watford Fulham was a fun, wide open game at both ends. I thought Fulham was lucky not to go down by 2 or 3 early on, but they fought back well and probably deserved a draw.
   822. Baldrick Posted: September 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5749483)
NWSL final today, in Portland. Going to be a sellout, or very close. I'm in town, and people are PUMPED.

Really looking forward to this one, and hoping it's not as grim a game as it was when these two played last year.
   823. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 22, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5749503)
Brighton give a gift to Spurs on that free kick. Can't jump in the wall with your arm raised laterally.
   824. Mefisto Posted: September 22, 2018 at 05:48 PM (#5749682)
Baldrick's going to be disappointed at half-time: 0-2. Portland are trying hard but are clearly the weaker team. They keep trying to play out of trouble, but aren't succeeding. NC are very direct and could have had at least 2 more goals, though in fairness NC's first goal was a bit fortunate.
   825. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM (#5749878)
Arsenal looked poor (and easily second best against Everton at home) all game but are now up 2-0. The second goal was an embarrassment all around. Everton fell asleep leaving Ozil wide open on the wing. Ozil's initial run was nice, but then he blew the three-on-one, neither shooting or playing a reasonable pass. Ramsey took the lousy pass and did his best with it, but his back-turned pass was to a clearly offside Aubameyang (Ramsey maybe could have known that too and not tied the pass). Auba put in the tap-in, and the linesman didn't call anything, letting the goal stand.

For those scoring at home, that's 1) embarrassingly bad defending from Everton to allow the break, 2) a terrible pass by Ozil to effectively blow the golden opportunity, and 3) an unforgivable error from the linesman not calling the pass by Ramsey offside. Just a failure all around.
   826. Baldrick Posted: September 23, 2018 at 08:36 PM (#5750162)
For anyone interested, here's my writeup on the NWSL final. It was an amazing experience. One of the most intense sports experiences I've ever attended. And on top of the sheer excitement of the event and the fans, it was also great to watch this absurd North Carolina team put a capstone on one of the most impressive teams in American sports history.

My favorite stat is that North Carolina had just 39% possession and 57% passing accuracy in a game that they absolutely dominated. Soccer is cool.
   827. Mefisto Posted: September 23, 2018 at 09:06 PM (#5750198)
That's a good write-up. I'd be even harder on Klingenburg, whose crosses were … dire. Carpenter had it pretty tough but I cut her more slack because she's just 18.

NC's athleticism is very impressive. I've seen teams like that succeed before, but usually at lower levels.
   828. strong silence Posted: September 24, 2018 at 12:17 AM (#5750332)
An old geezer (yes, that isn't nice) doesn't know much about soccer but wants to learn more. I point out that the EPL and European leagues are fun to watch but he seems to only want to watch the USWMT. He mentions Rapinoe and "the cute one" frequently. He asks me loads of questions about the game and I want to keep his interest on fire. Is October 4 the next big game? It is the start of the CONCACAF tournament. Doesn't the USWNT usually win the CONCACAF tourney easily?
   829. Baldrick Posted: September 24, 2018 at 01:37 AM (#5750360)
There are no more really 'big' games for the USWNT until the World Cup next June. Technically, the ones in early October are big, since it's World Cup qualifying and theoretically could be the end of the road. But you're right to think the US is heavily favored. Things did get dicey eight years ago, so theoretically it could happen again. But it's really not likely.

Still, the Oct 4 match against Mexico is their toughest competition in the group stages, so is worth watching. Then there's the semifinal (which can secure qualification), and the final (which will probably be against Canada - another top 10 team). So that's three games with some degree of significance, and a couple more group stage games that will almost certainly be blowouts.
   830. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 25, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5751205)
I'm back from Costa Rica to find Tottenham's season is basically over. What do I do with my life now? On top of that, and this is really insult to injury, my wife just came back from London and brought me a couple packs of England National team Panini cards and I got 4 Jack Butlands and 4 James Tarkowski cards. In two packs! Half the team were Spurs and I only got a Kieran Trippier. Fuck you England!

I did see about 20 species of frog, though, so I got that going for me.

So...is Modric really the best player in the world? I mean, I love the little rat-faced bastard, but that's just voter fatigue, right?
   831. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 25, 2018 at 10:38 AM (#5751271)
Tottenham has an absurdly easy run of games coming up in the league. There's highs and lows to the league. Now, I think it's hard to see them finishing top of the league right now without injuries to Liverpool and City. But you'd have said that about Chelsea 2 years ago too.

The Inter result is terrible, but really just means Tottenham really need a win against them. Inter isn't without their faults, they can drop points to PSV. Tottenham could get points off of Barca. It's a disappointing start to the season, but way too much season left.
   832. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 25, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5751274)
Well, sure, I'm not going to stop watching the games! That Lamela goal was nice on Saturday. It was one of those goals where the move is so nice you can see the ball hitting the back of the net before it even gets to the scorer. I said to my dog, "nice goal!" a beat before it was actually a goal. Ask my dog if you don't believe me!
   833. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 25, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5751276)
So...is Modric really the best player in the world? I mean, I love the little rat-faced bastard, but that's just voter fatigue, right?

I don't think it's unreasonable. He was the best player in the World Cup and one of the top players on the Champions League winners. I think it would be a bit like giving a 2014 All-Season MVP to Madison Bumgarner. Maybe he wasn't the best but when you factor in the post-season it's a reasonable choice.
   834. aberg Posted: September 25, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5751430)
Anyone know how to watch Carabao Cup games today?
   835. jmurph Posted: September 25, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5751514)
There's at least a few on ESPN+. Man City-Oxford, Wolves-Leicester, West Brom-Palace, and Man U-Derby.
   836. aberg Posted: September 25, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5751529)
There's at least a few on ESPN+. Man City-Oxford, Wolves-Leicester, West Brom-Palace, and Man U-Derby.

Yeah, I was hoping to find QPR-Blackpool. Might have to scour reddit.
   837. J. Sosa Posted: September 25, 2018 at 01:35 PM (#5751535)
I think the Caribou cup is on espn+. At least that and a free trial was my plan for tomorrow.

Re: Modric

I don’t think it was outlandish. Ronaldo wasn’t very good at points last season and it was a World Cup year, a World Cup where Messi’s Argentina imploded in spectacular fashion. Modric won the CL and was the key man on a WC finalist. Or basically what Jose said. I would have voted for him. And Salah second. Messi third.
   838. jmurph Posted: September 25, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5751566)
Yeah, I was hoping to find QPR-Blackpool. Might have to scour reddit.

The Live Soccer TV app (I highly recommend this, it has easily readable schedules/channel lineups for seemingly every league on earth) says it's on QPR+, which doesn't honestly sound like a real thing but who knows.
   839. J. Sosa Posted: September 25, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5751906)
Man U got knocked out by Derby. Burnley and Wolves out too.
   840. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 03:17 AM (#5752113)
Man U got knocked out by Derby.

All that needs saying ...
   841. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: September 26, 2018 at 07:54 AM (#5752126)
They don’t out-and-out try to lose, but Man U (and the other EPL contenders) pretty much looks on the Carabao Cup as unwelcome fixture congestion and treats CC matches pretty much like friendlies for their reserve/youth squads, right? As a new and very casual follower of soccer that’s the impression I’ve got.
   842. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 26, 2018 at 08:25 AM (#5752141)
The League Cup is weird and I think results in the Cup are all about narrative. If Liverpool lose in the first round no one will care. They're feeling good about themselves and who cares about a tin pot cup when they have bigger game to hunt. Man U losing is a big deal because of the general malaise around the team. It doesn't help that Mourinho has used the loss to go into full attack mode on his biggest star. My personal feeling about it is that I don't care about the League Cup until the semis. Until then it's just a chance to let the kids and the fringe players run around a bit.
   843. jmurph Posted: September 26, 2018 at 09:03 AM (#5752160)
For the biggest teams it's kind of a dance of showing how much they don't care about it but also definitely not wanting to lose.
   844. J. Sosa Posted: September 26, 2018 at 09:14 AM (#5752164)
Usually the big teams field B teams in the early rounds, but the B team in most cases is still very strong. Man U played Lukaku, Lingard, Martial, Matic etc. I didn’t see the match but Man U forums seem to think Derby was outplaying them even before the sending off.

Mourinho wasn’t punting the match, surprised that Lukaku started. I think Shooty has it right, normally wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but they were trying to win and the Pogba/Mourinho relationship appears to have reached a new low.

As I mentioned earlier, the league cup mattered to me more back when Liverpool were mostly out of the running for CL places. I do not pay super close attention until the semis. But I still watch when able.

Burnley rotated some, but fielded a fairly strong team. Wolves and Leicester basically treated it as a friendly. Heavily rotated.
   845. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 26, 2018 at 09:30 AM (#5752171)
So, who is done at Man U? Pogba or Mourinho? I think it's clear now they can't co-exist.
   846. J. Sosa Posted: September 26, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5752178)
Mourinho has to go. If I were management I wouldn’t have wanted to blow out the budget for Mourinho targets either, but if that is the case they should have sacked him. United fans seem to want Zidane. That would work. Fire Mourinho, fire Woodward.

I am hoping they don’t do that.
   847. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 26, 2018 at 09:47 AM (#5752180)
They aren't firing Woodward. He's not helping them win games but he's making it rain.
   848. J. Sosa Posted: September 26, 2018 at 09:49 AM (#5752182)
Every time I see a United fan make a disparaging comment about tractor sponsorships and the like my life gets just a little bit brighter. You are probably (hopefully?) right.
   849. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 26, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5752186)
In most circumstances I have little sympathy for players who think they know better than the manager and don't follow the plan and/or angle for a trade. I'm fully on Pogba's side here though. Not because his actions have been ideal, but mostly because it's a two-way street and Mourinho has been far worse at not holding up his end of the deal. Players should play for the manager and the manager should support the players, at least publicly. Mourinho's been undermining his players for awhile now, blatantly and in public, and it seems like it's not just Pogba who is having a major problem with him.

850. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 26, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5752187)
I don't get why Mourinho feels like he has to publicly berate players. What's to gain from it?
   851. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 26, 2018 at 10:02 AM (#5752188)
For me Mourinho's tenure at ManU can be summed up by Luke Shaw. It's not that Shaw is a superstar or anything but Mourinho's treatment of him both in terms of the way he's used him and more importantly his public comments have been appalling. It's one thing if you don't rate a player, then sell him or try to improve him. But to regularly call him out publicly like he has is just bullying.
   852. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: September 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM (#5752189)
I don't get why Mourinho feels like he has to publicly berate players. What's to gain from it?

He's a bully and it makes him feel good.
   853. jmurph Posted: September 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5752191)
Paul Pogba is almost certainly going to be a world class player for at least 5 more years. Conservatively. If Mourinho stays at United for (roughly) one more calendar year he will match his longest managerial tenure ever. The choice couldn't be any easier.
   854. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: September 26, 2018 at 10:17 AM (#5752199)
Not that Man U ever thinks about money in terms of fewer than eight digits, but if you don’t like your player, habitually trashing him in the press isn’t going to make selling him any easier or less lucrative.
   855. aberg Posted: September 26, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5752340)
Mourinho wasn’t punting the match, surprised that Lukaku started. I think Shooty has it right, normally wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but they were trying to win and the Pogba/Mourinho relationship appears to have reached a new low.

It's also funny that Mou said before the game that he intended to field a strong squad, and one of the few regulars who DIDN'T start was Pogba.
   856. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5752353)
Jose Mourinho has left several of Manchester United's senior players "angry and frustrated" with his man-management this season, with sources telling ESPN FC his decision to strip Paul Pogba of the vice-captaincy is merely the latest episode that has bemused many within the dressing room.

Frankly, I'd kick Jose in the nards if I was on United right now ...

Bemused, my arse.
   857. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 26, 2018 at 03:58 PM (#5752627)
Barca lose to Leganes. This could be a 3 team title race in La Liga.
   858. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5752632)
Sturridge lives!!!
   859. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 04:06 PM (#5752637)
Tottenham in crisis!
   860. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5752665)
Ouch.
   861. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5752673)
Cocoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
   862. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5752679)
Just lovely.
   863. J. Sosa Posted: September 26, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5752687)
Chippy ragged match between Chelsea and Liverpool. Can’t say I am too crushed. Sunny Spain last winter really helped them. Announcers were talking it up as Klopp’s fourth straight league cup loss. Um yes. I think he accidently made the final the one year he was aghast when he found out the semi was two legs.

Anyway:

Sturridge blew a sitter but then had a very nice goal off a parry. Looked pretty lively. Hazard ripped them to shreds when he came on. Also took an egregious no contact dive from Henderson. Who promptly minutes later gave Hazard the obligatory true clattering complete with screaming at the official. Now THAT is a foul ref!!! Ah those were the days. Did more than a few of those myself.

Main thing of interest was VAR. Now granted, I was working while watching on the phone, and the broadcast might have freezeframed the ball in at the wrong moment, but the first goal looked way offside. No VAR correction.

Basically the ref sucked, Liverpool was jobbed, etc. etc.

They really miss TAA and Robertson when they don’t play. Clyne is an absolute zero on the attacking end.
   864. frannyzoo Posted: September 26, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5752690)
Capoue. That had to feel good. Even in a Thai Sports Energy Drink League Cup 3rd Round.
   865. J. Sosa Posted: September 26, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5752697)
Spurs through.

I will now be a Spurs, Arsenal, City, Chelsea fan for the rest of the tourney. With any luck, there are your semifinal matchups!
   866. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 26, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5752699)
GAZINGA!

&

DELE!
   867. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: September 26, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5752703)
Dele still owns MK Dons stadium in the League Cup, I guess.
   868. J. Sosa Posted: September 26, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5752717)
Also forgot to chime in more on the Mourinho slagging players angle. Yes, it is incredibly stupid. To hear Klopp tell it, they almost gave Danny Ings a testimonial when he left. Hard worker, great player, oh boy are we so happy he is on loan and can’t play for Soton against us. Much the same with Danny Ward. All bullshit. But whaddayerknow they got over 30 MP for the two of them.

Edit to add: To be fair, Ward did play well. But third choice behind Karius and Mignolet, so...
   869. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 28, 2018 at 08:57 PM (#5754944)
Bayern lost 2-0 to Hertha and from the sounds of it deserved to lose. That doesn't happen often.
   870. J. Sosa Posted: September 28, 2018 at 09:19 PM (#5754954)
Remember back when I said Ronaldo’s alleged incident(s) with women were not as well defined as Kobe’s by publicly available information?

Yeah. About that. No longer the case.

Link
   871. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 29, 2018 at 12:13 AM (#5755016)
Yuck. If even half true, it's sickening.
   872. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 29, 2018 at 05:50 AM (#5755024)
From #870

But there is another, much earlier version. It is the document that could have serious consequences for Ronaldo. It was sent via email in September 2009. The sender was a lawyer from the firm of Carlos Osório de Castro, a lawyer who has long represented the soccer star[CH1] . The recipients were Osório de Castro himself and an additional colleague. In response to the question of whether Ms. C had ever raised her voice, screamed or called out, X answered according to the document: "She said no and stop several times." And furthermore: "I ###### her from the side. She made herself available. She was lying on her side, in bed, and I entered her from behind. It was rude. We didn't change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn't want to, but she made herself available." And further: "But she kept saying 'no.' 'Don't do it.' 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."

Just ugh*.

* And I've made it clear I'm "Team Messi" and I think that Ronaldo is a complete sack of dicks, but I will honestly say I never wanted Ronaldo to be "Team Anal Rapist".
   873. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 29, 2018 at 06:09 AM (#5755025)
"[NN2] Question: Did Ms. C. say anything afterwards about the sex being too brutal?

X: She didn't complain about it being brutal. She complained that I forced her. She didn't say anything about wanting to go to the police."
   874. J. Sosa Posted: September 29, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5755039)
I think Jose might even be trying to get fired at this point.
   875. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 29, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5755040)
Time for Mourinho to go? Everyone's calling for it now. ManU was very poor today--clearly second best. Tactics/formation were questionable. On top of that, the players don't seem motivated to go all out for him to save his job.
   876. J. Sosa Posted: September 29, 2018 at 09:35 AM (#5755041)
Yep. Most of the team quit other than Mourinho’s pets, McTominay and Fellaini. Not a good look.

On the Hammers side, they have been a totally different team post Wilshire. Allows Noble to do Noble things.
   877. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 29, 2018 at 10:05 AM (#5755046)
Not good timing for Man U. The game against Valencia midweek has to be one of the highest leverage games of the year.
   878. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 29, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5755053)
Well, there's some irony for you. Cech has to be substituted for an injury while playing with his legs, but it's on a play he has been making his whole career--a goal kick.
   879. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 29, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5755069)
Pretty wild game at the Emirates. Tons of chances both ways. Leno came in and made a great save but also looked a tad shaky on a couple plays. Finally an own goal goes Arsenal's way, and they follow it up immediately with another one.

Arsenal was the better team on the day (so far), but it was pretty close. Arsenal really should be able to dominate anyone other than the top 6 at home, but that's not what we saw today. Watford are certainly a decent squad, and Arsenal has a few things to work on.

Second consecutive league game at home that could have gone either way for Arsenal, and it looks like they will win them both. That's good for their current position in the table but not as good for their long-term prospects.

edit: all 6 live EPL games currently at 2-0 (or 0-2).
   880. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: September 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5755088)
Eden Hazard is good at this "football" thing ...
   881. Jim Furtado Posted: September 30, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5755804)
By default, comments on threads are automatically disabled after two months. Usually at that point someone starts a new thread. Since I'm already in the thread, per request, I just extended the posting time another two months. When time expires again I'll be happy to approve a new post.
   882. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 30, 2018 at 06:51 PM (#5755868)
Thanks very much Jim.
   883. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: September 30, 2018 at 06:55 PM (#5755870)
The Cardiff game today is the kind that kills off a relegation-bound team. Against a relegation rival, in a game they dominated (xG 1.6 - 0.2), they still gave up all 3 points to Burnley. That's an absolute disaster for a team already favored to go down.
   884. Sean Forman Posted: September 30, 2018 at 07:36 PM (#5755904)
How concerned should Newcastle be? They are three points from safety, but they've faced and lost to 1,3,4,5,7 and then drawn the two other teams Cardiff and Crystal Palace on the road. Then they have United at Old Trafford this weekend. Absolutely brutal schedule. After this weekend they've got a long run of winnable matches until Liverpool on Boxing Day. I assume they bounce back, but they need to start winning some games.
   885. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: September 30, 2018 at 08:09 PM (#5755923)
The Cardiff game today is the kind that kills off a relegation-bound team. Against a relegation rival, in a game they dominated (xG 1.6 - 0.2), they still gave up all 3 points to Burnley. That's an absolute disaster for a team already favored to go down.

True but it's also a really embarrassing performance from Burnley. It's hard to imagine a scenario where Cardiff and Huddersfield don't go down - though picking up a few wins randomly you don't deserve goes a long way down there - but there's still a 3rd team. Burnley shouldn't be getting dominated in shots by Cardiff.
   886. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: October 02, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5757377)
ok. So now City is in a hole. Maybe they needed De Bruyne after all...
   887. jmurph Posted: October 02, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5757393)
Seems like they've turned it around? I'm not watching.
   888. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5757479)
Yes and no. I haven't been watching that closely, as work was calling. From what I can tell, seems like a pretty wide open game though, and City looks a little shaky against the counter.
   889. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5757491)
I really like this announcer on the City-Hoffenheim game.

City have looked a bit susceptible to the counter. I feel like a better side could have put 3-4 in already. City just got hosed on what I thought was an obvious penalty where the keeper took out Sane.
   890. aberg Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5757493)
City have had a lot more possession, but Hoffenheim have had many more dangerous chances, at least until the last few minutes.
   891. jmurph Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5757497)
City twitter giving me a lot of "City avoid calamity!" talk, which I don't love.
   892. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5757499)
Would you prefer "calamity for City!"
   893. jmurph Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5757500)
I WOULD NOT, JOSE.
   894. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5757501)
Kick off in the United match has been delayed 5 minutes since the bus arrived late.

3rd season Mourinho!

LOL ...
   895. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5757505)
Brutal for Hoffenheim ...
   896. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: October 02, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5757512)
538 xG stats show domination by City (0.4 - 2.5). I guess Hoffenheim's breaks didn't lead to too many quality shots, and they tailed off as the game went on.

Regardless, with that win they are right back on track to top the group.
   897. jmurph Posted: October 02, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5757533)
CSKA Moscow up early on Madrid, as I think we all anticipated.
   898. jmurph Posted: October 02, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5757565)
Richard Deitsch @richarddeitsch
Soccer fans: ESPN announced today it has acquired multi-year rights agreement for Coppa Italia, the Supercoppa Italiana, the Danish Superliga, Sweden’s Allsvenskan and Indian Super League. All we be on ESPN+
   899. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 02, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5757610)
Well, this will turn out ... fine ... I'm sure.

Tottenham Hotspur

@SpursOfficial
Replying to @SpursOfficial

TEAM NEWS: @dele_official (hamstring), @ChrisEriksen8 (abdomen), @mousadembele (thigh), @JanVertonghen (hamstring) and @Serge_aurier (thigh) will not be available before the international break.#COYS
4:59 AM - Oct 2, 2018
   900. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: October 02, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5757656)
flip
Page 9 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.