Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

OT: Soccer Thread (World Cup)

We’ve gotten through Champions League and most of the relegation/promotion stuff so we may as well focus on the World Cup. And what a World Cup, Buffon playing his sixth, Pulisic making his WC debut, quality on-site reporting from Fox and two time Copa America champs Chile just part of what should make for an amazing tournament!  Plus of course the the family-friendly, inclusive atmosphere sure to be fostered by the Russians.

Group A - Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
Group B - Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
Group C - France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
Group E - Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
Group F - Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
Group G - Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
Group H - Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:57 AM | 3354 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 34 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. jmurph Posted: June 01, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5684121)
While I know, I know--it's REAL MADRID!--the thing about those jobs is that you basically have a 3 year run (at best) and then get bounced and then (probably) kick around the rest of your career going job to job...

True, but it's not like Tottenham managers have had much longer tenures. Honestly this seems to be the way the game is now, nearly everywhere.
   102. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 01, 2018 at 04:02 PM (#5684218)
This might be foolish, but I'm not worried at all about Poch leaving this summer. Eventually it will happen,

I don't think it's foolish at all, this is my take as well.

Poch will leave at some point (for Real or PSG, I'm assuming), but it won't be this year.

I think Real's a bit of a landmine right now, given the age (and wages) of many of the key players and I think Poch is committed to the Spurs project (assuming Levy spends this summer) and opening the stadium next year.

103. Sean Forman Posted: June 03, 2018 at 10:39 AM (#5684796)

Arsenal are trying to sign Ousmane Dembele from Barcelona, presumably on loan since he would cost more than Arsenal's reported transfer budget. They continue to try to get the Dortmund band back together. Also, supposedly Man U have inquired about Bale. I can see that one happening if Bale wants it to. Sounds like Man U are getting serious about it.

I actually think Arsenal could be a good landing spot for Pulisic, but haven't seen any scuttlebutt to that effect.
   104. Sean Forman Posted: June 03, 2018 at 10:52 AM (#5684804)
I watched a good 80 minutes of the USMNT loss to Ireland and all of the Bolivia JV match. Goal was a bit fluky for US. Didn't see the winner for Ireland late.

Bill Hamid does not look at all like a future #1. Apparently he's been scuffling in Denmark. I'm guessing Steffen is the current #1 and it seems likely he'll start vs France next Saturday.

Weah has some skillz and gets himself into good spots, but needs to work on his finishing quite a bit.

Weston McKennie is a beast and looks like a Jermaine Jones clone. Will get some reds, will break up opponent attacks and will score some screamers.

first touch & shot vs Ireland: https://twitter.com/AmericanOutlaws/status/1003014843056652288 (he's right-footed btw)
super cut vs bolivia: https://twitter.com/joeInCleats/status/1001517894818086913

Rumors are that Josh Sargent will get a long look at the starting spot for Werder Bremen. If so, we'll have three teenagers starting in the Bundesliga.

I don't think Carter Vickers is ever going to come good. I think he'll keep getting shots due to leadership and physical tools, but I'm skeptical he becomes a top tier center back.

The USMNT will get destroyed by France next week. Best case might be Miazga and Steffen doing heroic things in a 1-0 loss and getting good moves to bigger clubs.

My guess on lineup vs france
.                Sargent
Saief  Adams McKennie  JulianGreen
?

Trapp
Antonee Robinson Miazga Erik Palmer
-Brown  Lichaj
   Zach Steffen 

105. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 03, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5684973)
I might run through some WC odds after next weekend, but for now I just wanted to note how the conferences have a hierarchy that hasn't been clearer in the recent past.

First, all the CONMEBOL teams have the best odds of advancing out of their groups, except for Peru. (Effectively, they are all top seeds).
Second, all the European teams take up the remaining 1st slots (by odds), and all the 2nd slots, except that Sweden is just edged out by Mexico, and Iceland has the worst odds in their group (and Serbia is in a group that already has a CONMEBOL and UEFA team ahead of it).
Third, all the African teams have the third best odds in their groups ("third slots"), with the last three being taken up by Sweden, Peru, and Serbia.
Last are the two remaining CONCACAF teams, all the Asian teams, and Iceland.

So really, except for Peru, Mexico, and Iceland being "out of place", the groups are perfectly organized (by betting odds) by regional conference. Kind of sad, really.
   106. jmurph Posted: June 04, 2018 at 09:30 AM (#5685340)
So for some reason Germany isn't taking Sane to the World Cup. A little baffling.
   107. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: June 04, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5685349)
I came to post 106 too. I don't get it. I guess Germany's squad and rotation does seem to be overly loyal to players, and it looks like Sane's performance for the national team has been pretty poor historically. I still don't agree with it. Sure, I'd probably take a healthy Reus over him but it seems like you could actually start both. I'd take Sane over Ozil and Draxler.
   108. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 04, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5685379)
Low's comments it sounds like the decision came down to Sane or Brandt and Low feels like Brandt has performed a bit better than Sane with the national team. It's kind of crazy to think that there would even be a question of a guy like Sane, or Brandt for that matter, getting into the squad. They really are ####### good.
   109. J. Sosa Posted: June 04, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5685776)
Karius did sustain a concussion on the Ramos play, he allowed his doctors to release a statement.
   110. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: June 04, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5685826)
Frankly I think Zidane was wildly overrated as a manager

Hey, I have been on the Zidane is wildly overrated bandwagon since the 90's.

By the way, is their a cooler guy in sports than Zidane? He's had almost the perfect sporting career. Even his one failure burnished his image.

And with comments like this, it is easy to remember why.
   111. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 04, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5685860)
Ah, here's the Yaya I know and remember ...

Yaya Touré has launched a broadside at Pep Guardiola, accusing him of “having problems with Africans wherever he goes”, claiming the Manchester City manager’s coaching reputation is “a myth” and that he did “everything to spoil” the Ivory Coast midfielder’s last season at the club.

In an interview with France Football magazine, Touré – who left City in May after eight seasons at the club – attacked his former manager who was also his coach at Barcelona.

“He [Guardiola] insists he has no problems with black players, because he is too intelligent to be caught out,” Touré said in an interview with France Football to be published on Tuesday. “But when you realise that he has problems with Africans, wherever he goes, I ask myself questions. He will never admit it. But the day he will line up a team in which we find five Africans, not naturalised, I promise I will send him a cake.”

I think the only thing Pep has "problems" with is Yaya loafing about in midfield and the rest of the team having to carry his half-sided efforts defensively ...
   112. Mefisto Posted: June 05, 2018 at 11:30 AM (#5686158)
United out to make a big splash by signing … Fred.
   113. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 05, 2018 at 11:32 AM (#5686160)
Some interesting transfer news today" Man U have signed Fred, the most boring name for a Brazilian soccer player ever. Arsenal have signed Lichsteiner, will soon sign Sokratis (who looks cooked to me) and are after Fellaini. Now that, my friends, is a real youth movement. Emre Can signed with Juventus. Most interestingly is that it turns out Karius was concussed in the CL Finals. Maybe Karius wasn't at fault but the LFC medical staff? Or maybe they couldn't tell he was concussed and this is just one of those things?

But the day he will line up a team in which we find five Africans, not naturalised, I promise I will send him a cake

Yaya has an interesting relationship with cake. He says he'll play with any of Man City's rivals for free to prove Pep is wrong about him. Would any of the other top 6 take him? I wouldn't want him at Spurs, even for free. He might be too young for Arsenal...
   114. jmurph Posted: June 05, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5686165)
Yaya was an absolute delight to watch and cheer for, so I don't particularly like this. He scored 20 goals in a season! 4 of 7 on free kick attempts!
   115. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 05, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5686291)

The players smelled it. In the locker room at halftime, the stench of impending failure hung as heavily as the humid Caribbean air. Try as he might, U.S. men’s national team head coach Bruce Arena could not keep the desperation from creeping into his voice.

... [long snip]

With all of its advantages over its continental competitors, how did the U.S. fail to qualify for the World Cup? The question has divided the American soccer community ever since. Some have blamed the player development system. Others have questioned Arena’s tactics. And some have just said that the U.S. had a bad game on a hot night in Trinidad.

“You don’t make wholesale changes based on the ball being 2 inches wide or 2 inches in,” said then–U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati on the night of the collapse, referencing Dempsey’s near equalizer.

Behind the scenes, though, the disaster that unfolded in Trinidad was not the result of one shot hitting off the post or one poor tactical decision. The failure to qualify for the World Cup was the direct result of seven years of mismanagement at the highest levels of U.S. Soccer, which fostered disunion among the team’s players and ultimately doomed them to defeat.

This insider’s view of the epic American World Cup collapse — from the boardroom to the locker room — is based on interviews with more than 40 current and former players, coaches, and sources close to U.S. Soccer leadership, conducted in the aftermath of the U.S. defeat. Many spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to describe scenes honestly, expressing fear of negative consequences for their careers if they spoke on the record.

Own Goal: The Inside Story of How the USMNT Missed the 2018 World Cup
   116. aberg Posted: June 05, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5686299)
Arsenal have signed Lichsteiner, will soon sign Sokratis (who looks cooked to me) and are after Fellaini. Now that, my friends, is a real youth movement.

Arsenal had a garbage defense last year and spent a boatload of money on Lacazette, Mhki, and Aubameyang. Seems like they're trying to build a new and different (maybe better?) defense for as close to free as possible. That shouldn't preclude them from developing longer-term solutions, but might help them keep their head above water in the meantime. I would assume that the immediate goal is to get back into the top 4 and they probably weren't going to do that with the status quo back 4.
   117. Sean Forman Posted: June 05, 2018 at 02:36 PM (#5686311)
I know someone here will know. What was the name of the site running the world cup contest involving red cards, yellows, etc. Something #### right?
   118. Sean Forman Posted: June 05, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5686314)
Just found it. No twatball for 2018. The operator was recovering from cancer.
   119. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 05, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5686316)
Arsenal had a garbage defense last year and spent a boatload of money on Lacazette, Mhki, and Aubameyang. Seems like they're trying to build a new and different (maybe better?) defense for as close to free as possible. That shouldn't preclude them from developing longer-term solutions, but might help them keep their head above water in the meantime. I would assume that the immediate goal is to get back into the top 4 and they probably weren't going to do that with the status quo back 4.

Their strategy this summer is almost indistinguishable from West Ham's. Any one of those moves looks fine in isolation, but it's starting to look like a strategy and I'd be troubled if I were an Arsenal fan. Older players in decline on big wages taking places of what should be up and coming young players. I feel like Arsenal are in denial about how far off they've slipped from the top 4. They need a massive injection of talent and instead they are just plugging leaks in the dam. I'm pretty happy about it as a Spurs fan. Liverpool's window is already terrifying me, in contrast, especially if they get Fekir to replace Can. It goes without saying I am probably completely wrong about this.
   120. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 05, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5686331)
Article about defenders.

Of the big name central defenders, Shkodran Mustafi and Sokratis Papastathopoulos are probably the two worst at judging these plays. On a weekly basis they cause their teams several problems by attempting interceptions and making openings in their defence, thus detracting from their team’s performance. I wrote about Mustafi here and provided several examples of his poor front foot decisions over the course of one of his games. Since writing this his reputation has dropped, however the initial view of his ability being so high is part of the problem. Views of centre backs are reactive and based on a team's week to week results.

Heh. Found this randomly after my post above. I have no idea if this article is a insightful or BS, I just thought the timing of me coming across it was funny.
   121. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 05, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5686390)
“You don’t make wholesale changes based on the ball being 2 inches wide or 2 inches in,” said then–U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati on the night of the collapse, referencing Dempsey’s near equalizer.
Gulati should have lost his job for that quote alone. That's absolutely horrendous. Coming out of CONCACAF the USMNT should never be in a position where a single bounce can cost them.
   122. aberg Posted: June 05, 2018 at 04:36 PM (#5686415)
Their strategy this summer is almost indistinguishable from West Ham's. Any one of those moves looks fine in isolation, but it's starting to look like a strategy and I'd be troubled if I were an Arsenal fan. Older players in decline on big wages taking places of what should be up and coming young players. I feel like Arsenal are in denial about how far off they've slipped from the top 4. They need a massive injection of talent and instead they are just plugging leaks in the dam. I'm pretty happy about it as a Spurs fan. Liverpool's window is already terrifying me, in contrast, especially if they get Fekir to replace Can. It goes without saying I am probably completely wrong about this.

Good point about West Ham comp. I guess what I'm getting at is that spending <20m total on a CB, FB, and DM won't be as damaging to them as 50m on one big swing and miss. Like you said, it's still plugging the dam rather than building a better one. Another way of saying it is that getting the Dortmund band back together isn't a terrible idea, per se, but they probably thought they were trying to build the NEXT Dortmund, not the same one from 4 years ago.

On Liverpool, imagine if they replace their CL final mid-3 of Milner, Robertson, Wijnaldum with Fabinho, Fekir, and Keita. None of which is as important as keeping Salah, of course.
   123. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 05, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5686440)
I don't know what to make of this but Aston Villa might be in serious trouble. I don't see any news articles on it but this a thread at there main fan forum.
   124. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 05, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5686445)
Here's a very crappy article about Villa's situation. This seems like it should be bigger news. Villa is an important club with a rich history. I don't know enough about English tax law to say how serious this is, but it definitely seems like they have some cash flow trouble. I only stumbled on this because Spurs are heavily linked with Jack Grealish.
   125. Sean Forman Posted: June 05, 2018 at 09:28 PM (#5686644)
Gulati should have lost his job for that quote alone. That's absolutely horrendous. Coming out of CONCACAF the USMNT should never be in a position where a single bounce can cost them.

The charitable reading is that Gulati was agreeing with you, but I suspect he wasn't looking at it the way you are.
   126. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 06, 2018 at 03:34 AM (#5686764)
But Ramos said the injury which has left Salah racing for fitness in time for Egypt's first World Cup group game was not so serious, while suggesting that his own winning record over the years at Madrid had made him a target for criticism by outsiders.

"I've exchanged messages with Salah and he was pretty good," he said. "If he had an injection he could have played the second half, I've done it sometimes.

Ramos really is a POS.

127. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: June 06, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5686904)
If you're into this sort of thing, this site has some neat concepts. I don't like them all, but they're certainly visually stunning.

I think my favorite is Group D. I might have to get me an Iceland poster.
   128. Howie Menckel Posted: June 06, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5686915)
I was in Delaware yesterday re the sports betting legalization launch there.
they have betting on all World Cup games, as well as "odds to win the title" for each country.

might also be legal in NJ as soon as this weekend - but, well, it's NJ, so who knows.

in DE, opening lines:
Germany 3-1
Brazil 7-2
Argentina 5-1
Spain 11-2
France 11-2
Belgium 8-1
England 16-1

Panama and Saudi Arabia 750-1

a slight majority of the 32 nations are 100 to 1 and up
   129. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 06, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5686916)
Courtois on Karius:
“I feel sorry for what happened with him, but to blame it on concussion that he made those mistakes – he also made two amazing saves. So that was luck then? I don’t know because he couldn’t see the ball.

“It’s unfortunate for him to have made those mistakes but if you have concussion you will leave the game or the doctors will tell you look you cannot see clearly anymore you must leave the game.

“If they want to say it’s because of that, it’s OK. He said after the game he made two mistakes, I think everyone will accept that.

“It can happen as a goalkeeper but to blame it on a concussion now, I find it strange. But if medics says that from Boston it’s OK.”

I'm no doctor, and I have no idea if Karius really had a concussion or not (other than the little I have read), but there is zero reason to think that if a player does get a concussion he will be physically unable to continue or the doctors will immediately pull him out of the game. We've seen and read about so many instances of players continuing to play after being concussed, sometimes brilliantly and sometimes seemingly in a daze, and even sometimes doing both in the same game after the concussion. Courtois, like much of professional soccer, is 20-30 years behind at this point. He really should know better especially as a goalkeeper.

Courtois appears to have already joined RM , in spirit, anyway.
   130. Mefisto Posted: June 06, 2018 at 11:58 AM (#5686946)
Spurs apparently in for Martial. At least according to the Daily Fail. I think Martial would fit in well with Spurs, but it's hard to see him as filling their biggest need.
   131. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: June 06, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5686965)
Yeah, I think Courtois comes off clownish there.

Karius had a ridiculously awful slappy hands moment on the Kolarov shot against Roma that was very similar to Bale's shot, so I'm inclined to think he just doesn't really know how to safely parry those long distance strikes. Maybe the concussion was a factor, but we had plenty of evidence that this guy wasn't very good before the match.
   132. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 06, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5687051)
WORLD CUP 2018 FEVER! CATCH IT!!!

England’s Danny Rose has revealed he told his heartbroken family not to come to the World Cup over fears they would be racially abused in Russia.

The Tottenham defender says he feels numb to racism and helpless to prevent it and has slammed Fifa’s latest punishment as “disgusting” and “laughable”.

Russian football has been marred by incidents of racism for years, most recently when Fifa fined their football union £22,000 for racist chanting aimed at France players when the countries played in March. France’s 3-1 friendly win was played at the Krestovsky Stadium in St Petersburg, one of the venues for this summer’s finals.

It also emerged earlier this week that the FA had been fined £16,000 by Fifa because an England Under-20 player sipped a non-sponsored energy drink at last year’s World Cup.

“I’m not worried for myself,” Rose told Standard Sport ahead of his first World Cup. “But I’ve told my family I don’t want them going out there because of racism and anything else that may ­happen. I don’t want to be worrying when I’m trying to prepare for games for my family’s safety. If anything ­happens to me, it wouldn’t affect me like it would if my family had been abused. I’m fine with whatever may or may not happen, and I like to think I’ll be able to deal with it in the right way.

“My dad’s really upset. I could hear it in his voice. He said he may never get a chance again to come and watch me in a World Cup. That was emotional, hearing that. It’s really sad. It’s just how it is. Somehow Russia got the World Cup and we have to get on with it.

“A £22,000 fine is disgusting,” he added. “What do they [Fifa] expect? I don’t want to sound arrogant but if I had been fined £22,000 - without sounding big-headed - it wouldn’t make a difference. A country being fined £22,000 is just laughable.”

Link

Well, it's good to know that FIFA has established racist chants are £6,000 worse than drinking something from a non-sponsor ...

But it's good to see an article like this, it helps return my resolve for ignoring this coming World Cup.
   133. The Marksist Posted: June 06, 2018 at 09:06 PM (#5687337)
Danny Rose opens up about his mental health struggles. This kind of thing is really, really important. Rose in the Graun
   134. Textbook Editor Posted: June 06, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5687372)
England 16-1

I dunno, that's odds that seem worth putting $50 on to me. Yes, I know they won't win, etc., etc. But $50 to win $800 seems a decent return--you'd have to lay out a lot more to win decent $ on any other top-8 team.

If NJ implements sports books, I'll probably drive down to AC twice a year for over/under bets on MLB team records and EPL points totals (if that was even offered), but that's about it.
   135. Howie Menckel Posted: June 06, 2018 at 10:55 PM (#5687432)
well, NJ plans to roll out online sports betting as soon as a month after the casinos and tracks get it (though both would get a cut of that action), so the drive down likely will be optional.

I am curious if anyone is surprised that 6 countries are within 8-1 and no one else is better than 16-1 (note that this isn't some schmo in DE making wild-ass guesses; I assume Vegas has virtually the same lines).
   136. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 06, 2018 at 11:24 PM (#5687469)
6 countries are within 8-1
You can get significantly better odds than that on Argentina (10-1) and Belgium (11-1, or even better), if you shop around the internet. Also, England is currently 7th most likely to win most places, significantly ahead of Portugal.
   137. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 07, 2018 at 03:43 AM (#5687545)
Here's a very crappy article about Villa's situation. This seems like it should be bigger news. Villa is an important club with a rich history. I don't know enough about English tax law to say how serious this is, but it definitely seems like they have some cash flow trouble. I only stumbled on this because Spurs are heavily linked with Jack Grealish.

More on the situation from the Graun:

Alarm bells were ringing at Aston Villa long before a tax bill went unpaid last month. The first indication that all was not well came last year, when Tony Xia’s monthly payments stopped arriving with the same frequency, leaving a club that were operating way beyond their means, and are totally dependent on the owner’s financial support, scrambling around to pay the bills.

Xia, the Chinese businessman who revealed that it was his dream to turn Villa into one of the world’s top three clubs when he took over two years ago, had previously always made regular transfers to cover the outgoings, averaging around £4m a month across his first season. Yet the Guardian understands that those payments were made nothing like as consistently from as far back as 2017.

Villa, one way or another, managed to get by for the majority of last season, sometimes by asking clubs to bring forward staggered transfer fees for players that had been sold on. That practice, not uncommon in the Championship, saw Villa write off money in the long term to solve cash-flow problems in the short term.

Reality, however, was about to bite. In April and May, as the season neared the end, the money trail from China dried up completely and Villa’s financial position became critical. HM Revenue & Customs was due a payment in the region of £4m after May’s payroll and Villa, quite simply, had no way of getting their hands on the money.

Link
   138. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 07, 2018 at 07:39 AM (#5687551)
Very sad about Villa. Looks like the BEST case scenario for them is what happened to Leeds United. It's weird, but when I first became a Spurs fan, the club was on a level with Newcastle, Aston Villa and Everton. It's just crazy how the fortunes of these 4 clubs have diverged since then. I will never say a bad word about Daniel Levy, that bald, evil bastard.
   139. J. Sosa Posted: June 07, 2018 at 03:01 PM (#5687899)
Evidently Villa had to get an advance payment from Burnley (!) to meet payroll at the last minute friday. I have seen estimates that may or may not have been leaked by Wyness that Xia was putting around 6 million a month into the club. And that there is a 25 million deficit just in obligations for next season. I had seen an analysis of the club’s obscene wage turnover ratio prior to the final but I did not grasp the scale of how dire of shape Villa were in.
   140. J. Sosa Posted: June 08, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5688284)
Kane signed a new deal.

Re: Levy. I have always thought Spurs fans who complain about Levy are nuts. Spurs have been better than Liverpool for the most part for almost a decade. For much of FSG’s time I would have killed for someone like Levy.

LFC transfers:

Looks like Fekir is pretty much set for Liverpool. He had to pass a second opinion for his knee. He is an an excellent player, but the knee is a concern. The price seems awfully low for a player of his ability I would guess the ACL is why. He has also had some other minor knee injuries, so... But he is pretty awesome. Looks like Liverpool are going more 4-2-3-1 ish next season with Keita and Fabinho at the base.

Basically, I don’t know what to do with this window. Fekir is actually the one I am least excited about. Nabil Fekir!

Keita is an absolute monster, I can’t wait to watch him play. And as for Fabinho, that came out of nowhere. There were no links and I assumed he was Atleti bound. Dude is literally perfect for them. Maybe the weakest spot on the team was the 6. As mentioned in the last thread I just never understood the links to Jorghino as a 6 for Liverpool.

Klopp has traditionally used dudes like Kehl or Bender, big unit type mids to help with the first ball. For the life of me I didn’t see how Jorghino fit. He is an excellent line breaker but as a 6 in Klopp’s system? Made no sense. The need for a guy like Fabinho was most clear at Old Trafford. The back line got a lot of criticism (much of it justified) but it wasn’t Lovren’s responsibility to cover the first ball, it was Can’s. Can even said as much after the match. I had high hopes for Can but his complete lack of discipline routinely exposed the press and the centerbacks. Fabinho is perfect for what they needed. Perfect.
   141. ckash Posted: June 08, 2018 at 10:52 AM (#5688289)
Non World-Cup soccer-related news: My 11 year-old daughter made her club's U14 team. And this year was a real tryout as 23 girls came out for the team.
   142. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: June 08, 2018 at 10:59 AM (#5688294)
Granted they got a lot of money for the Coutinho move but it's a bit disheartening to see Liverpool bolster their squad so much and Tottenham's path this window seems a bit less clear. They can't just run it back in my mind, and think they're gonna finish top 2. Unless Salah left.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd be pretty giddy with the window so far. Klopp is a brilliant manager and seems to do a very good job of identifying what he wants/needs and gets it.
   143. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 08, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5688297)
Non World-Cup soccer-related news: My 11 year-old daughter made her club's U14 team. And this year was a real tryout because 23 girls came out for it.

Nice! Don't let her get a big head. Make her wash the car or something.

Klopp is a brilliant manager and seems to do a very good job of identifying what he wants/needs and gets it.

Makes you wonder if Arsenal really hired the brains behind Dortmund's best teams under Klopp. I wouldn't worry about Spurs yet. Levy always drags things out a bit. I think what he does, like with Davinson Sanchez last year, is wait to see which of his targets the big boys don't have any interest in and then pounce. It's not the best way to do things but it's the economic reality. We'll get nowhere getting involved in auctions with Man U and City.

144. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 08, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5688314)
way to go spawn of ckash!!!
   145. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 08, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5688316)
For those interested, Northern Cyprus and Karpatalya face off in the final of the CONIFA Cup this weekend. Northern Cyprus I can suss, but I've never heard of Karpatalya. Wikipedia tells me it's a region of Ukraine in the Carpathian mountains that's disputed between the Ukraine and, of course, Russia. Just glancing at the Wiki page makes it seem like one of those impossibly complicated ethnic and historical situations that makes the whole idea of a modern nation state seem absurd. Anyway, good luck to them!
   146. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 08, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5688435)
Looks like Mark Clattenburg is officiating the final which is pretty cool. They also apparently are giving out "green cards" which go to a player for dissent or diving and require the player to be substituted immediately. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not but it seems like a good incremental step to deal with those things.

Is there anyone in that tournament who is actually on a team I've heard of?
   147. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 08, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5688436)
So apparently yeah. I guess not too surprising that several players from the English lower leagues/non-leagues are on these teams.

Also the logo looks like a Starbucks logo.
   148. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 09, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5688970)
Green strikes against Les Bleus!!!

Which is pretty amusing, given how much better France were for most of the 1st half ...
   149. Mefisto Posted: June 09, 2018 at 04:25 PM (#5688995)
Looks like no Fekir to LFC after all. Knee must be pretty bad.
   150. J. Sosa Posted: June 09, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5689005)
I am both dissapointed and relieved. As great a player as he is, if the medicals were bad I think it is probably best to stay away.
   151. Mefisto Posted: June 09, 2018 at 08:34 PM (#5689105)
Via MCOA: L'Equipe reports that LFC is using Fekir's medical condition to try to renegotiate the deal.
   152. J. Sosa Posted: June 09, 2018 at 10:52 PM (#5689173)
Reports are all over the place. He had picked a number and filmed a spot for the LFC website, has to be something with the medical. Some are claiming they didn’t attempt to renogiate, that they pulled out of the deal completely and it was Aulas attempting to save the deal. Who knows. Fekir and the French Football chief both thought it was done.

If it was truly the medical, I am fine with it as the injury he had was bad and he has had to have it cleaned up a couple of times already IIRC. But if this is another case of nickle and diming I would be pretty ticked. They have gotten burned so many times haggling and routinely screw up negotiations. Sometimes it isn’t as easy as just giving Mendes a bung and calling it a day like with Fabinho.
   153. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 10, 2018 at 12:36 AM (#5689185)
That’s interesting. I wonder if there is crossover. The Red Sox (owned by JWH like LFC are) have done that a few times over the years. They’ve always gotten the deal done though.
   154. jmurph Posted: June 11, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5689540)
Viera to manage Nice.
   155. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 11, 2018 at 01:18 PM (#5689681)
the CONIFA Cup

There's a Cascadia team!? How the hell does that even work? They're not an autonomous ethnic region!
   156. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 11, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5689705)
There's a Cascadia team!? How the hell does that even work? They're not an autonomous ethnic region!

Have you been to Cascadia recently? I'm not sure that's not a separate species by now...
   157. jmurph Posted: June 11, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5689728)
So I always cheer against England in the big tournaments but I have to admit, I like this team and think they might be kind of good? I'm not totally sure what they're planning to do in the middle of the field, but still.
   158. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 11, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5689856)
So I always like to look at the amount of rest teams can get in these tournaments. I think Uruguay (Group A) and France and Argentina (Group C&D) have some opportunities there. Uruguay start on the 15th, France and Argentina on the 16th. By contrast Brazil and Germany (17th) and Belgium (18th) have a bit less rest. Additionally I think Uruguay gets the benefit of that cupcake of a group in Group A. They aren't going to play a challenging game until the knockout stage so they should be rested and presumably should be able to avoid yellow card accumulation suspensions because they shouldn't be challenged.

I know #### all about betting but at 25-1 they look like a decent shout. I think France and Argentina are going to get pushed. They should win their groups but both groups are solid enough that they will have to work a bit.
   159. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5690562)
Some betting odds:

team--(% to advance)--ELO

Uruguay 85 1894
Russia 69 1678
Egypt 38 1646
Saudi Arabia 8 1591

Spain 91 2044
Portugal 73 1970
Morocco 23 1733
Iran 13 1789

France 91 1987
Denmark 55 1856
Peru 36 1915
Australia 18 1742

Argentina 85 1986
Croatia 66 1853
Nigeria 26 1681
Iceland 23 1764

Brazil 92 2142
Switzerland 47 1890
Serbia 45 1777
Costa Rica 16 1744

Germany 91 2077
Mexico 49 1850
Sweden 42 1795
South Korea 18 1714

Belgium 89 1939
England 86 1948
Tunisia 17 1657
Pananma 8 1659

Colombia 68 1928
Poland 62 1831
Senegal 43 1750
Japan 27 1684

Region--expected advancement (mean)--ELO (mean)

AFC 0.84 (17) 1704
CONCACAF 0.73 (24) 1751
CAF 1.47 (29) 1693
UEFA 9.30 (66) 1886
CONMEBOL 3.66 (73) 1973

160. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5690569)
Only three teams expected to advance outside of Europe and South America.

Betting odds v ELO:
African teams have much better odds than their ELO would suggest.
Betting odds don't like Peru, do like Russia (home field), don't like Iran, and like Serbia. The others look fairly close to ELO.
   161. jmurph Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5690586)
Only three teams expected to advance outside of Europe and South America.

I am perhaps a dumb but I'm looking at the numbers in post 159 and seeing only one.
   162. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5690590)
Look at the bottom section.

AFC+CAF+CONCACAF mean expected = just over 3 teams
   163. jmurph Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5690601)
Oh okay, thanks. That mainly still doesn't make sense to me but I feel better knowing it's my lack of understanding of oddsmaking vs my lack of understanding of world geography!
   164. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 12, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5690629)
Oh, it just shows, for example, that if Mexico has a 49% chance to advance, Panama has an 8% chance, and Costa Rica has a 16% chance, the mean number of CONCACAF teams expected to advance is 0.73.

Likewise, the mean number of Asian teams expected to advance is 0.84, and the mean for African teams is 1.47. Added up, in an average year you would expect 3 teams to advance that were outside of Europe and South America.

That assumes the betting odds reflect the true odds, of course.
   165. jmurph Posted: June 12, 2018 at 04:10 PM (#5690649)
Ahh, got it, thank you sir.
   166. Sean Forman Posted: June 12, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5690715)
Since I like you guys and you've helped me foster my soccer fandom, I'm giving you a sneak peak to the fbref.com site.

We have it loaded up at FutRef.com. It's pretty much feature complete. One caveat. Currently the leagues listed are wide open, that's going to be restricted to the big 5 + USA at launch since we haven't fully vetted those numbers yet. They'll come back one-by-one as we vet them.

Should launch tomorrow.

Here is David Villa, for instance.

Enjoy. Performance is a bit wonky right now. Need to walk through a few things, but it will get faster. And it's ad-free for a year.

I'd prefer if you didn't share it widely. It's not 100% ready, purely beta at this point.

Like I said it will launch tomorrow. (murphy willing)
   167. Baldrick Posted: June 12, 2018 at 06:43 PM (#5690764)
Looks very cool, Sean. I look forward to playing around with it a bunch while I'm trying to ignore the World Cup.

Any thoughts about adding women's leagues? I just spent 45 minutes today trying to scrape up information there and it's completely impossible. Would be amazing to get that stuff available in a useful format.
   168. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 12, 2018 at 09:30 PM (#5690881)
Sean that must’ve been a remarkable amount of work. Congratulations to you and your whole team.

And just generally thank you. It is my opinion that BBRef is the single best website out there. It does exactly what it purports to do in an easy to read format. It really is awesome stuff.
   169. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 12, 2018 at 09:37 PM (#5690888)
Mental note: CS% means clean sheet percentage, not caught stealing percentage.
   170. Richard Posted: June 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM (#5690945)
Great stuff Sean.

Are you going to add stats for England pre 1992-3? It would be nice to see attendances and league records even if you don't have the player data. There is a joke in England that the media thinks that football started in 1992, and it would be nice to confirm that this was not in fact the case!
   171. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM (#5690975)
Looks great Sean. It's great to have all this info in one place easy to read.

I'd be really interested in advanced stats, as I'm kind of a novice when it comes to various ways to analyze players.
   172. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 13, 2018 at 02:32 AM (#5690999)
% Betting Odds to reach QFs--SFs--F--champion
Brazil 67 48 30 18
Germany 66 48 28 16
Spain 67 42 24 13
France 64 42 22 12
Argentina 56 33 18 9
Belgium 62 31 15 8
England 55 25 10 5
Portugal 42 18 8 4

Uruguay 38 14 7 3
Croatia 31 14 6 3
Colombia 33 11 6 2
Russia 29 11 4 1
Poland 25 9 4 1
Denmark 17 8 3 1
Mexico 17 6 2 1
Switzerland 16 6 2 1

Serbia 12 5 2 0.5
Sweden 12 5 2 0.5
Senegal 14 4 1 0.5
Peru 10 3 1 0.5
Egypt 10 3 1 0
Nigeria 8 2 1 0
Japan 7 2 1 0
Iceland 7 2 1 0

Morocco 7 2 1 0
Costa Rica 5 2 0 0
Australia 5 1 0 0
South Korea 5 1 0 0
Iran 5 1 0 0
Tunisia 4 1 0 0
Panama 2 0 0 0
Saudi Arabia 2 0 0 0

AFC 0.24 .05 0.01 0
CONCACAF 0.24 .08 0.02 0.01
CAF 0.43 .12 0.04 0.01
CONMEBOL 2.04 1.09 0.62 0.33
UEFA 5.05 2.66 1.31 0.65

So, expect one team outside of Europe or South America to reach the QFs, and South America wins the tournament about 1/3 of the time, Europe the other 2/3.
   173. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 13, 2018 at 02:41 AM (#5691000)
An interesting thing about the above is that no individual team has even a 50/50 chance to make the semis. So not reaching the semis might feel like a failure to the top teams, but that's a pretty harsh way to look at it. There's too much randomness in a single elimination tournament.

There's about a 90% chance one of the group favorites, plus England and Portugal, becomes champion.

UEFA teams are, on average, about 50/50 shots to win in the knock-out rounds. CONMEBOL slightly above, CONCACAF next best at about 33/67 (because of Mexico), and then Africa and finally Asia.
   174. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 13, 2018 at 07:05 AM (#5691014)
Canada's going to be in another World Cup!

Woooo!
   175. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 13, 2018 at 07:26 AM (#5691016)
And Spain's manager is NOT going to the World Cup. Real have hired Lopetegui to take over for Zidane and the Spain FA have canned him which seems very odd. Managers leave national teams after a World Cup all the time. Usually it's a good idea (right Jurgen?) so I don't get what looks like a pretty petulant response.
   176. JuanGone..except1game Posted: June 13, 2018 at 08:46 AM (#5691032)
Spain FA is making such a short sighted and petty decision around canning Lopetegui a day before WC starts, Lopetegui was clearly wrong not to give Spain an earlier heads up (as Conte did with Italy) or trying to wait until after WC for an announcement, and RM is crazy for thinking that Lopetegui, who was awful at Porto, is up to their standards. Horrible judgment all around.

Still bitter about the massive corruption that kept us from 2022, but its good to know that no matter how bad our nation's management of men's soccer is, that we are guaranteed a spot in 2026.
   177. Sean Forman Posted: June 13, 2018 at 09:31 AM (#5691060)
Thank you for the feedback. I would say that every addition is on the table. The initial focus will be daily updates and filliing out our league list. We have Mex, Ned, Bra, Arg, Cro, Swe, etc etc, so we are churning through those.

But long-term the goal is to create a retrosheet-like hub for football data. So we can create a framework where data can hang off the central db, so if someone wants to compile Big 10 women's soccer stats, we can support that. that's the goal for 2026.
   178. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5691076)
Nice to see FIFA keep up the tradition of awarding World Cups to authoritarian assholes.

That is shocking and stupid from Spain. National team managers line up post WC jobs ALL THE TIME! So, I'm QFT'ing #175. Is it because he's Basque and not a "real Spaniard" so he should know his place?
   179. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM (#5691080)
I'm bad at picking World Cup outcomes.

And Spain's manager is NOT going to the World Cup

I feel better about not picking Spain to win, though.
   180. jmurph Posted: June 13, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5691081)
Like I said it will launch tomorrow. (murphy willing)

I'll talk to the board, call in a few favors.
   181. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 13, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5691211)
Spurs have bid 15 million for Jack Grealish. On the surface, that seems like an insultingly low bid but might actually make sense for Villa if Spurs are offering the money up front instead of installments.
   182. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 13, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5691224)
Bielsa is headed to Leeds United! Over/under for how long he last there? I hope he gets promoted and manages in the PL next season but my brain tells me he's out well before Boxing Day.
   183. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: June 13, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5691229)
For those of us boycotting the WC, the Champions League is almost back!
   184. jmurph Posted: June 13, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5691268)
Interesting stuff. 52 World Cup players were born in France. Once you know that this will be unsurprising but still interesting: Paris provides more players than any other city.
   185. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 13, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5691456)
The early signs were that Mousa Dembele was set to leave Tottenham Hotspur this summer and probably for Serie A. Reports have linked Moose with Juventus, Napoli, and Inter Milan as he seeks to end his career away from the Premier League, and have also suggested that Dembele’s agents were recently in Italy to begin talks with a few clubs while the player is in Russia for the World Cup.

But those reports might be premature. Two French outlets — France Football and radio station RMC — are now reporting that Tottenham has reached an “agreement in principle” with an unknown Chinese club for Dembele’s sale, and that Spurs would rather he head off to the Far East for the next stage of his career. This confirms reports from months ago that stated that Dembele had interest from the Chinese Super League, but those rumors had gone quiet recently.

Supposedly for around £30m, which be a fantastic get, though it remains to be seen if he actually wants to go to China ...
   186. puck Posted: June 13, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5691565)
Really looking forward to FBRef! It's hard to find even basic data sometimes...appearances, starts, etc.
   187. jmurph Posted: June 13, 2018 at 05:13 PM (#5691574)
It's hard to find even basic data sometimes...appearances, starts, etc.

It really is, it's amazing.
   188. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 13, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5691577)
That is shocking and stupid from Spain. National team managers line up post WC jobs ALL THE TIME! So, I'm QFT'ing #175. Is it because he's Basque and not a "real Spaniard" so he should know his place?
Not clear that this is such a bad decision.

There has never been a situation like this, where the team announced 2 days before the WC that the manager had taken the job, where the FA was completely in the dark and the manager had just signed an extension with the FA. Rubiales also asked RM to hold off on the announcement, but they did not (he had 5 minutes notice before the press release). Also, this isn't just any NT manager taking a big club's offer--this is the Spain manager taking the offer of the team that employs half of Spain's roster, with the other half employed by their biggest rival. (I exaggerate, but only slightly). Not only that, there is a group game against the club team's biggest star. The sheer circus aspect of it is probably reason enough to fire him. The Spanish press would second guess the motivation for every decision made by Lopetegui, and the Spanish FA would be impotent with respect to RM. Not a good spot to be in.

Further, Spain's betting odds have dropped since the announcement---but only very slightly. They would almost certainly have dropped at least slightly even if the manager wasn't replaced, just on the announcement, so the bettors don't actually think this is a big deal.

Was it the right decision? I don't know, but it sure is not clear cut.
   189. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: June 13, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5691582)
I don't hate Spain for firing him, and hell it's probably good for him too. If they crashed out in shambolic fashion like they did last WC, I feel like he'd have been immediately on the hot seat at Real Madrid.
   190. Sean Forman Posted: June 13, 2018 at 05:49 PM (#5691604)
And we're live.

https://fbref.com/
   191. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 13, 2018 at 07:05 PM (#5691634)
So I will end up watching the World Cup. I need info regarding soccer bars in the loop in Chicago and Milwaukee. It’s going to be very hot this weekend and I don’t feel like walking around exploring in that.
   192. Howie Menckel Posted: June 13, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5691661)
warning for those headed to Monmouth Park tomorrow to bet World Cup futures: looks like the PR event begins only 30 minutes before the first match (Russia-Saudi Arabia), so elected officials may eat up most of the time before the cameras.

I wonder if they still take futures bet after the technical start of the event. maybe just take those two countries off the board?

(they also missed out on US Open golf betting; some big stars will be on the back 9 before anyone can wager.) #takeittothegolfthread
   193. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 10:10 AM (#5691962)
I'm rooting for the meteor today, lads.
   194. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 10:19 AM (#5691969)
Also, Bruce Arenas was on Hang Up and Listen's podcast this week, and his answers were feeble. I'm surprised that Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin didn't tear into him a lot more.
   195. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 14, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5692007)
Putin, now Infantino. If FIFA doesn't leave a nasty-ass taste in your mouth, you are probably not human.

196. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 14, 2018 at 11:07 AM (#5692023)
Putin, now Infantino. If FIFA doesn't leave a nasty-ass taste in your mouth, you are probably not human.
Yes.

I'd been intending on the personal boycott, then decided I couldn't do it, then as it got closer the things that made it unpl1easant kept popping into view. 'm trying a semi-boycott: I'm going to follow the WC as if it was the Stanley Cup; i.e., occasionally check the scores, and read half of the game story in the Washington Post, and do nothing that could in theory increase ratings or anything like that. The College World Series (and especially UNC qualifying for it) should make this easier, at least for the first couple of weeks.
   197. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 14, 2018 at 11:11 AM (#5692028)
Also, Bruce Arenas was on Hang Up and Listen's podcast this week, and his answers were feeble. I'm surprised that Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin didn't tear into him a lot more.

What does Arena have to offer at this point? They ###### up, I'm more interested in what the next coach is going to do to make it better for 2022.
   198. jmurph Posted: June 14, 2018 at 11:15 AM (#5692034)
do nothing that could in theory increase ratings or anything like that.

I understand and will not attempt to dissuade anyone from a boycott, but unless I'm very confused, the bills are all paid at this point, right? Or the ink is dry on the contracts, at least. I'm not sure ratings impact anything other than the next TV rights sale in 6 or 8 years or whenever Fox's deal is up.
   199. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 14, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5692044)
The Russian goal was arguably a push, but I think a good no-call. Two Russians initially wide, wide open on the back post for a cross.

Then an obvious and easy offside call missed by the linesman who was more than 5 yards away from the play... luckily did not result in a goal.
   200. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: June 14, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5692045)
I'm not sure ratings impact anything other than Donald Trump's perception of success

FTFY
Page 2 of 34 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.