Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

OT: Soccer Thread (World Cup)

We’ve gotten through Champions League and most of the relegation/promotion stuff so we may as well focus on the World Cup. And what a World Cup, Buffon playing his sixth, Pulisic making his WC debut, quality on-site reporting from Fox and two time Copa America champs Chile just part of what should make for an amazing tournament!  Plus of course the the family-friendly, inclusive atmosphere sure to be fostered by the Russians.

Group A - Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
Group B - Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
Group C - France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
Group E - Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
Group F - Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
Group G - Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
Group H - Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: May 29, 2018 at 09:57 AM | 3225 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 29 of 33 pages ‹ First  < 27 28 29 30 31 >  Last ›
   2801. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 10:39 AM (#5708262)
flip
   2802. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM (#5708278)
Ronaldo had already transformed Juventus’s finances before he even agreed terms. As rumours of his impending arrival increased in recent days, the club’s share price soared. The newspaper Secolo XIX noted on Thursday that the club’s market valuation had risen from €665m to €815m – enough (notionally) to cover the player’s transfer fee. After a dip, those numbers have continued to rise

Definitely time to short Juve.

More seriously though, had the stock price stayed unchanged, the deal would have (theoretically) paid for itself, as the new liabilities would be exactly offset by the new expected asset producing cash flow (Ronaldo). That the stock price went up actually means (again, theoretically) that the move was a net positive expectation in cash flow, so in other words, paid for itself with €150m left over.
   2803. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5708292)
Looks like Rabiot to Barcelona? Interesting that PSG and Barcelona might do business. kind of a bummer as I would have liked him at Spurs. Spurs are getting none of the reported targets right now. Plea has gone to Monchengladbach. Also, West Ham have signed Yarmolenko, somehow beating Arsenal to a Dortmund player.
   2804. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:27 AM (#5708301)
Another take on the economic impact of Juventus signing Ronaldo:

In a previous dispatch, we noted how speculation alone was sending Juventus' stock through the roof. Overall, the Old Lady's share price was up 33 percent on the previous week -- the equivalent of €231m -- and led Italy's financial regulator to seek an explanation, which Juventus duly provided.

A statement said: "Juventus clarifies that, during the transfer window, the Company evaluates many market opportunities and, if any agreement should be reached, a press release will be issued in compliance with the regulations."

While brokers at the stock exchange shouted "Buy! Buy! Buy!" Juventus fans got in line to put their name down for season tickets. Sales were expected to be slow after a 30 percent price hike, but the prospect of seeing Ronaldo is persuading them to reach a little deeper in their pockets. Clearly when Vice described Drake as a "walking economic stimulus package" they could have been talking about CR7, too.

He is one of the most famous people on the planet and boasts 318.3m followers across various social media platforms. For point of reference, LeBron James' following [101m] amounts to less than a third of Ronaldo's audience. For Juventus and their sponsors, present and prospective, that's huge exposure in markets where they are seeking to grow or just establish a presence. It dwarfs any club and reinforces this idea that fans are increasingly supporting athletes first, and franchises second. Sign a player and their supporters are transferrable too; they come as part of the deal.

A study by KPMG auditors showed PSG's online "followship" received a 22 percent bump after Neymar joined from Barcelona. Few clubs are as sensitive to this trend as Juventus. At a shareholders' meeting held shortly after Juventus' rebrand last year, president Andrea Agnelli said: "We've got to become more mainstream, more pop... We have new targets who are not your classic football fan: millennials, women and kids. We have to ask ourselves what is the little girl in Shanghai and the millennial in Mexico City thinking?"

In football terms it's usually: what's Ronaldo up to? Zooming in on just one of those markets, Ronaldo has 6.6m followers in Mexico, a considerably bigger fanbase than the 1.1m who track Juventus.

ESPNFC
   2805. J. Sosa Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5708312)
Re: Ronaldo

Serie A helps him. Barring any type of PED tomfoolery that may or may not be going on allowing him to play to 50, I still don’t see why he can’t light it up for a couple seasons. Nothing against fine gentlemen like Higuain, Immobile, and Dzeko, but... I am gonna go out on a limb here and say Ronaldo is gonna do just fine with acres of space to play.

Re: Juventus

The risk here for a club like Juventus making a prestige signing is that they aren’t a de facto state sponsored club like Real that can eat a galactico deal if it goes bad. Or eat multiple Shevchenvko, Torres, etc deals because Oligarch. Or eat bad deals like Petrol State backed clubs like PSG or City. If it goes bad and Ronaldo gets hurt or falls off a cliff athletically and it winds up costing them someone like Dybala, I am not certain Fiat is going to be enough to bail it out.All the financials are super pretty, but it carries risk.

Re: Shaqiri

Yes, somewhere between 20-25 is about where I have him. If it goes through I suspect the plan is to play him in domestic cups and against bus parking teams at home. There is a limit to how good of a player one can get to play second fiddle if not paying huge wages. I still expect them to also sign a high end attacking mid.
   2806. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5708318)
I am not certain Fiat is going to be enough to bail it out.All the financials are super pretty, but it carries risk.

Speaking of Fiat ...

An Italian trade union has announced that Fiat workers in the southern town of Melfi will go on strike over Cristiano Ronaldo's €100 million move to Juventus.

Real Madrid confirmed on Tuesday that the five-time Ballon d'Or winner would be leaving the club to join Juventus. When news first broke of the potential transfer, Fiat workers had threatened to take action against their employers. The car manufacturer Fiat, to which the brand Ferrari exclusively belongs, is reportedly 29.1 percent owned by the Agnelli family, which also has 63.77 percent of Juventus.

And that has now become a reality with Unione Sindicale di Base releasing a statement, which announced strike action would take place from the evening of July 15 until the morning of July 17.

"It is unacceptable that, while for years you have continued to ask FCA [Fiat Chrysler Automobiles] and CNHI [Case and New Holland Industrial] workers to make enormous sacrifices on an economic level, the company spends hundreds of millions of euros on the purchase of a footballer," a statement read.

"We are told that times are tough and that we must resort to social safety nets in anticipation of the launch of new models which never arrive.

"And, while the workers and their families tighten up the belts more and more the company decides to invest on a human resource for so much money. Is all of this right? Is it right that one single person can earn millions and yet thousands of families don't even get to the middle of the month?"

ESPNFC
   2807. Textbook Editor Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:00 PM (#5708325)
2b. I don't get why Liverpool would want Shaqiri. I'm stating the obvious, but he doesn't play defense. I don't see how he fits into Klopp's system.

x2--this just seems a very odd move on a lot of levels for Liverpool. Maybe he'll get religion and play defense; stranger things have happened.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Matuidi, as if he did suffer a concussion, that's a fairly big loss... assuming they don't try to roll him out on Sunday (which they very well may).

I'm hoping for a Battle of Agincourt WC Final, but I'm not sure it's going to happen.
   2808. Topher Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5708326)
I do agree with the Juventus skepticism. Although Ronaldo feels a bit like LeBron to me in that he's *so* good and keeps himself in so good shape, and is so fanatical about that, that he may not age quite like the normal player and/or still be elite even with some drop off. It is a bit interesting to me that they seem to have made a couple of anti-Juventus moves recently with Higuaín and Ronaldo. They seemed to really have a continental lockdown on getting the best non-Barca/Bayern/Real players at a bargain price for a while. All this said, the spine of their team is going to include Matuidi, Can, and Dybala assuming there aren't any sells, right? That's still young, athletic, and dynamic. And they still have Douglas Costa (that had an option to be a permanent move, right?), and Cuadrado (who I don't like, but many do). Anyways, I think with some clever, lower budget moves which they used to be really good at, they can keep the team young, athletic, and tough.

Spicey -- I'm quibbling a bit even though I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But Matuidi is 31 and Cuadrado (who I doubt is part of their future) is 30. I think Khedira has one foot out the door, but he's 31. But in particular, their backline is ancient: Lichsteiner is gone but Chiellini is 33 and Barzagli is 37.

Matuidi is still great, but I wonder for how much longer. The same holds true for Chiellini.

I like the LeBron analogy a lot because great players can transform their games to stay at a top level even after losing a step or two. In LeBron's case, it has transformed to him giving up any real pretense of playing defense. It's a good trade to make.

What concerns me, pretending I care about Juve's good fortune, is that there are a lot of players on Juventus that will be losing a step and perhaps expecting others to carry water to compensate. That works for maybe one or two players. But I'm not sure if it works for this many.

Jueventus should be fine next year and perhaps the one there after. But there is going to have to be a lot of roster turnover to get in new blood if there isn't going to be a calamity the last two years of the Ronaldo deal. I suppose that's where the €200M in new money comes in ....
   2809. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5708334)
Re: Shaqiri

Yes, somewhere between 20-25 is about where I have him. If it goes through I suspect the plan is to play him in domestic cups and against bus parking teams at home. There is a limit to how good of a player one can get to play second fiddle if not paying huge wages. I still expect them to also sign a high end attacking mid.

I just wonder how willing Shaqiri will be to be a 2nd option when there are clearly other PL teams that could meet the relegation clause and offer him a starting position ...
   2810. Topher Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5708337)
[2804] is interesting. I don't know what to make of it. I'll admit to not having any real expertise on it.

The fact that Ronaldo has 318.3M "followers" means something, especially for Ronaldo making personal endorsements and product placements. I'm just not sure how much Juventus can capitalize on that. It's possible that there is truly €200M in value for that. I admit to not having a clue, but I'm very much skeptical. If there was that type of surplus value, why is another team not outbidding Juventus? Logically, he could obviously come home to United if there was €200M to be gained.

How much money does Juventus make on a kid in Asia buying a knock-off jersey?

Semi-releated. I've definitely grown out of it but I was a Juventus fan for a while because Del Piero was my favorite player. In 1996, my college girlfriend spent a semester in Florence. She knew I liked Del Piero but otherwise knew nothing about sports/soccer. She came back with three "authentic" jerseys and was so pleased that she was able to find them for a combined $20. I think they were knock-offs of the knock-off. I couldn't break it to her that she didn't get the real thing. I smiled, gave her a big hug, and gave her thanks from the bottom of my heart. Because I knew my chances of getting laid by anybody else at the college were dim, I wore those embarrassing jerseys around campus doing the mental calculation that it was worth getting teased by my guy friends in the hopes that I might get some later that evening. Fortunately for me, the material in the jerseys were no match for the strength of a washing machine. So after a handful of times in the laundry, I was put out of my misery.
   2811. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5708359)
My brother bought me a replica Francesco Totti Roma jersey when he went to Rome on a business trip about 20 years ago. In addition to the fabric falling apart almost immediately, the shirt ran extremely small and I looked ridiculous in it.

Which was a bummer, but I genuinely appreciate the effort he made.
   2812. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5708375)
How much money does Juventus make on a kid in Asia buying a knock-off jersey?

I think the idea isn't just to increase short-term merch sales but to significantly increase brand recognition across the world. I suspect that most kids in Asia know very little about the Italian league at all. Ronaldo puts them on the map in a significant way. He makes, for instance, the Juve jersey sponsorship just that much more valuable, because now photos of the Juve kit are going to be plastered across a new continent or two. Now maybe they have a deal locked down for that particular, but you get the idea. The fame he brings to the team will outlast his playing career.
   2813. Sean Forman Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5708379)
I am shocked, shocked that the jerseys being sold on the Ramblas or the Puerta del Sol are not legitimate and of poor quality.

We went through London, Paris, Barcelona and Madrid last summer and my kids are at the age where displays of junk for sale transfixes them, so we talked with a lot of street vendors. The reasons for the changes in the nationality of the immigrants that worked different cities was something I couldn't quite figure out.

Huge # of NBA jerseys for sale in Madrid as well.
   2814. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5708396)
I've got the Fox pregame show on, but I can't tell: Is there more than one team playing in this game today? Seems like maybe it's England against England in a match to see who plays England in the England Cup final.
   2815. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5708407)
The teams

Croatia: Subasic, Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Strinic, Rakitic, Brozovic, Rebic, Modric, Perisic, Mandzukic.
Subs: Livakovic, Corluka, Kovacic, Kramaric, Jedvaj, Bradaric, Caleta-Car, Badelj, Pjaca, Pivaric, Lovre Kalinic.

England: Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Alli, Henderson, Lingard, Young, Sterling, Kane.
Subs: Butland, Rose, Dier, Vardy, Welbeck, Cahill, Jones, Delph, Rashford, Loftus-Cheek, Alexander-Arnold, Pope.

Referee: Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey).
   2816. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5708408)
I can hardly believe Corluka is still a professional footballer. I like him but he has to be the slowest professional player of all time, including keepers.
   2817. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5708409)
England is going 3-5-2, Croatia 4-2-3-1, at least according to Fotmob.
   2818. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5708413)
I can hardly believe Corluka is still a professional footballer. I like him but he has to be the slowest professional player of all time, including keepers.

Maybe he's not professional anymore and just plays full-time for the national team, like Tim Cahill.
   2819. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5708419)

I think England is playing some other team, hard to tell. And St. George, whoever he is, fits in somehow. Also Fox mentioned the English Army, so maybe they are playing too. Might be Harry Kane by himself, against this other mystery team.
   2820. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5708422)
"Young, dynamic and exciting.", per Fox announcer. Are those three adjectives accurately descriptive of England?
   2821. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5708430)
IT'S COMING HOME!
   2822. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:06 PM (#5708431)
Wow, what a nice goal. Perfectly controlled shot.
   2823. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5708432)
Also, the wall should have stopped that and Subacic should have done better.
   2824. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:07 PM (#5708434)
That was a nice a free kick as I've seen. No chance for Subasic. He was blocked until it went over the wall.
   2825. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5708437)
What the hell? I turned on the game at 2:07 and I missed a goal.
   2826. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5708438)
Nice kick. It was a meter from the post. Many goalies would have saved it.
   2827. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5708439)
Some bold long balls on the counter. I like it.
   2828. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5708442)
Trippier is listed as 5'10" on Wikipedia. How tall is he really, 5'8" maybe?
   2829. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5708444)
5'2".
   2830. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:14 PM (#5708445)
England not resting on their laurels.
   2831. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:15 PM (#5708446)
How tall is he really, 5'8" maybe?

Maybe not even maybe. Tottenham are bringing football home!
   2832. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:16 PM (#5708447)
England have laurels?
   2833. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:18 PM (#5708451)
The pony-tailed blonde Croat defender "has a bit of Targaryen in him," according to ITV's play-by-play man.
   2834. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5708452)
Shooty, are you really not watching? I admire your righteous stand against FIFA's evil. Might I suggest you illegally enjoy the game via a stream of uncertain national origin, as I am doing?
   2835. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5708454)
England have laurels?
Hey, man, with two more wins, they'll have as many major tournament championships in the past 50 years as Greece and Denmark!
   2836. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5708456)
Shooty, are you really not watching? I admire your righteous stand against FIFA's evil. Might I suggest you illegally enjoy the game via a stream of uncertain national origin, as I am doing?

I'm not but my boss has it on in his office.
   2837. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5708457)
Oh Dejan Lovren. You dummy.
   2838. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5708458)
That was a hell of a check from Lovren on Kane. I had no idea Croatians were that skilled at hockey.
   2839. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5708459)
No yellow, amazingly. This match was called tight before the goal, now it appears to be the Wild West.
   2840. zack Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5708460)
Croatia playing all of their knockout matches (SO FAR) without red checkerboard is a travesty.
   2841. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5708461)
The Croats are hella up for this.
   2842. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5708463)
No yellow, amazingly. This match was called tight before the goal, now it appears to be the Wild West.

You push a guy over with two hands to stop a counter and it's not a yellow? WTF.

This is ugly football overall. Hard to believe this is the quality of play in a WC Semi.
   2843. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5708467)
I have no idea how Lovren hasn't gotten a yellow yet.
   2844. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5708468)
Lovren is asking for a yellow.

Sterling would be Neymar's Clone if he could finish, right? Well, maybe less on the dribbling more on the pace.
   2845. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5708469)
Have you ever seen a WC semi?

Defender tackle, nothing malicious, cynical yes. It happens.
   2846. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5708471)
OK, so it sorta worked out, but why does Modric bust his ass to keep that from going out? Why not let it go out and do a quick, controlled throw-in?

It's different if you can stop it and control it, but Modric had no chance at that, just a desperation kick downfield. Seems like keeping possession would be better.

---------

I wonder if Lovren placed some kind of bet on himself getting the first yellow?
   2847. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:28 PM (#5708472)
Sterling would be Neymar's Clone if he could finish, right?

If he had Neymar's finishing, close control, passing and vision, yes.
   2848. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5708473)

I wonder if Lovren placed some kind of bet on himself getting the first yellow?

Having watched plenty of Liverpool for the last several years, that's just Dejan being Dejan.
   2849. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5708474)
Have you ever seen a WC semi?

Defender tackle, nothing malicious, cynical yes. It happens.

I've seen plenty, this is ugly. Missed passes, poor touches, cynical fouls and plenty of hoof ball.

and lol, how do you not finish that. England should be up 2 goals, easy.
   2850. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:30 PM (#5708475)
Subacic did really, really well there, and I'm shocked that Kane didn't score.
   2851. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5708476)

I've seen plenty, this is ugly. Missed passes, poor touches, cynical fouls and plenty of hoof ball.

Eh, the fouling hasn't been that bad outside of Lovren. Some bad passes, but both sides are playing wide open and attacking hard so that's going to happen.

Amazing play by Young to get that ball out of play.
   2852. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:34 PM (#5708477)
I love how calmly Kane took that second chance, he looked positively relaxed. It didn't work out, but most players would have been freaking out and trying to hit an impossible angle shot or a pass with the first touch. Harry just kind of casually taps the ball to improve the angle.
   2853. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5708479)
I think we're seeing what a semi looks like without Spain, Germany or Brazil.
   2854. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5708481)
Damnit Lingard.
   2855. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5708482)
My kid would have taken a better shot than Lingard there. Odd "finish" attempt.
   2856. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:37 PM (#5708483)
and lol, how do you not finish that. England should be up 2 goals, easy.

Every game this comment. If chances were as easy to finish as everyone thought they were, most games would be like 6-4.
   2857. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5708484)
I think we're seeing what a semi looks like without Spain, Germany or Brazil.

yea true.

England fans gotta be shitting themselves right now. Plenty of chances to be up 2.
   2858. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5708486)
Alli tracking back and working hard to support Henderson.
   2859. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5708488)
Every game this comment. If chances were as easy to finish as everyone thought they were, most games would be like 6-4.

This game should be 2-0, one way or another. The hard part there was the 1st touch, the finish was poor.
   2860. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5708489)
Ok, now I'll agree it's getting out of control with the fouls.

Croatia is going to catch England at the back if England doesn't get more careful.

Lingard is not having a good game.
   2861. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5708490)
That was a clear revenge foul from Rebic, should have been a yellow. Thought he was fouled, got up, and stormed into the back with only the thought of taking the man out. Ridiculous to let that go.
   2862. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5708491)
I think that maybe 40% of "should be" goals are actually converted. Maybe less.
   2863. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:42 PM (#5708493)
Are the Boos because Croatia isn't attacking?
   2864. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5708494)
Some Croatian player who made some pro-Ukraine comments. Russians not pleased about it.
   2865. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5708495)
In the abstract, agreed, maybe 25-30% even. However, in that *particular* case, you'd think Kane probably converts from there more like 75-80% of the time.
   2866. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5708496)

Yeah, but how big will that box be when MCoA does his xgoals twitter post? Probably not huge for Lingard, probably gigantic for Kane's first effort.
   2867. nick swisher hygiene Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5708497)
England dicking around there--should be 1-1...
   2868. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5708501)
should be 1-1...

ahem
   2869. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5708502)
What are the best trash talking phrases in soccer?

Get that **** out of here. This is my house!

Put a dress on!

You play like an American!

2870. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5708503)
England for the most part seemed to dominate that first half. Unfortunately I couldn't watch as closely as I wanted (and have to miss most of the second half), but these teams do not seem evenly matched from what I saw.
   2871. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5708504)
I have no idea what a foul is anymore.
   2872. PepTech Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:50 PM (#5708507)
I am pleased to see Skyscraper is finally opening so we can stop seeing the damn promos.
   2873. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:51 PM (#5708508)
That penalty was as clear as an English trophy cabinet.

This ref is showing early signs of Howard Webb Syndrome.TM
   2874. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5708511)
As a runner, a highly object to the idea that the number of miles traveled in a game is that significant. Because it's really not very high, even for the players that travel the farthest. For example, on the 538 blog someone said:

Especially tough for box-to-box midfielders who are running 7, 8, 9 miles in a game. Do that twice in 10 days, and that’s a lotta miles

It's extremely few miles to "run" 18 miles in 10 days. I have run close to 10 times that much in 10 days (ok maybe 7 or 8 times that amount). The problem for the players is that it's not the miles--it's the sprinting and acceleration that is exhausting and what really wears them out. Focus on miles very much misses the point.
   2875. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5708513)
It's extremely few miles to "run" 18 miles in 10 days. I have run close to 10 times that much in 10 days (ok maybe 7 or 8 times that amount). The problem for the players is that it's not the miles--it's the sprinting and acceleration that is exhausting and what really wears them out. Focus on miles very much misses the point.

Players run a lot lot more than that outside of the 90 minutes they play in the actual game as well. But yes, sprints are much more exhausting than jogging.
   2876. bunyon Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:59 PM (#5708514)
The BBTF soccer thread, where every shot should both go in and be stopped by the keeper.
   2877. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5708518)
Doesn't the fact that the World Cup happens every four years reduce the 'long string of disappointments' excuse for England? I mean, they've failed to win the last 12 World Cups. That's a streak as long as ... the Chicago White Sox.
   2878. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5708521)
Impressed with how much England's attackers are willing to run and press defensively.
   2879. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5708522)
Doesn't the fact that the World Cup happens every four years reduce the 'long string of disappointments' excuse for England?

It would if they were most other nations. I mean, Spain of all countries had never won until 2010. But England has been historically insufferable about being the birthplace of England and Playing The Right Way. So they've viewed it as something of a birthright, and so everyone else gets on them about it.

The BBTF soccer thread, where every shot should both go in and be stopped by the keeper.

Hey, Trippier's free kick goal was really good but it wasn't Baggio-esque. And Kane's miss was a better than 60-40 chance to convert.
   2880. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:10 PM (#5708524)
That's twice now Kane has been hammered and no call.
   2881. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5708526)
Ref let the game get out of hand, this is the obvious result.
   2882. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5708527)
Kane getting body checked left and right.
   2883. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5708529)
Given what's at stake here, I think my reaction to the referee after a yellow card would be "Thank you, sir. Have a nice day."

I know it's tense out there and Walker's adrenaline is pumping, but mouthing off to a guy who can kick you out of the game and potentially cost your country a World Cup seems like a terrible idea.
   2884. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:14 PM (#5708530)
Wow, what an awesome 1st time cross there, unlucky nobody was there to meet it.
   2885. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5708532)
Assuming England win this, is Trippier on the shortlist for player of the tournament?
   2886. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:15 PM (#5708533)
Doesn't the fact that the World Cup happens every four years reduce the 'long string of disappointments' excuse for England? I mean, they've failed to win the last 12 World Cups. That's a streak as long as ... the Chicago White Sox.

Double that for Euros, which count as well.

And then there are really only 5-6 teams who can realistically win one. The math is a bit different if you are one of those teams.
   2887. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5708535)
mouthing off to a guy who can kick you out of the game and potentially cost your country a World Cup seems like a terrible idea.

What are the various odds of how England is going to England, though? Losing a man because of mouthing off to the ref has to be a pretty good value proposition compared to "own goal in second half stoppage time" or "losing on penalties."
   2888. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5708537)
Whither Modric?

Tired? Marked by Henderson? Other?
   2889. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5708540)
Doesn't seem like Croatia is throwing enough guys forward.

edit: drink, Stu agrees, doh.
   2890. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5708541)
Modric had some moments in the first half, but he's been quiet since then.
   2891. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:20 PM (#5708542)
2887. Remember the red card on Beckham?
   2892. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5708543)
Not impressed with Croatia's ability on the ball and overall technical ability outside of Modric.

Who is the 5th guy that is now on England's back line?
   2893. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5708544)
At first that looked like a penalty, but the replay shows an inch perfect challenge.
   2894. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5708545)
Man gets hit by Football, v. 2018.

Credit to Walker for being able to get up and make that clearance after taking that deflection right to the nuts.
   2895. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:23 PM (#5708546)
I don't think I've ever heard that area described as the place where the sun don't shine. I mean, I guess if you're wearing clothes it doesn't shine there.
   2896. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5708548)
1. Agree. The Croatian outside players are simply average.

2. England are playing a 3-5-2. Young and Trippier are the outside shuttlers.
   2897. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:24 PM (#5708549)
Assuming England win this, is Trippier on the shortlist for player of the tournament?

How often does it go to a player that didn't even make the final? Someone from the Belgian front line would've been my pick before yesterday.

I would think Mbappe is the favorite at the moment, but I have no idea how the Golden Ball is usually awarded.
   2898. bunyon Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5708550)
A 60-40 ball has a 40 percent chance of not going in. I mean, that really isn’t great odds.
   2899. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5708552)
YES. YES. YES. YES.

YES.
   2900. strong silence Posted: July 11, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5708553)
Crap! I mean, Nice!
Page 29 of 33 pages ‹ First  < 27 28 29 30 31 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (CTL)
for his generous support.