Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

OT: 2016 Summer Soccer Thread

Special Randy Jones Summer Soccer Thread!

Upcoming Dates of Note
June 3 - Copa America begins (US v. Colombia) All games on Fox family.
June 10 - Euro 2016 begins (France v. Romania) All games on ESPN family.
June 28-29 - Champions League first round qualifiers.
June 30 - Europa League first round qualifiers.
August 3- Women’s Olympic soccer beings (many games including USA v. New Zealand) All games on NBC family.
August 4 - Men’s Olympic soccer begins (many games including Mexico v. Germany) All games on NBC family.
August 7 - Community Shield (England).  Leicester City vs. Manchester United.
August 13 - English Premier League Begins.
August 20 - Serie A begins.
August 21 - La Liga begins.
August 25 - Champions League Group Stage Draw.
August 26 - Bundesliga begins.

Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 01, 2016 at 02:36 PM | 1532 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: football, off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. Sean Forman Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:09 PM (#5239138)
Sorry I worked to long on this for it to be at the bottom of the previous page :P

I'm far from a Pulisic expert, but the guy has a great first touch and is a pretty clinical finisher already. I do think that he converts more of the chances than Zardes has.

His senior goals, he's got very good anticipation
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/04/17/christian-pulisic-first-goal-borussia-dortmund
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/christian-pulisic-scores-again-to-become-youngest-player-ever-with-two-bundesliga-goals-042316

probably a more impressive near goal (this was in his 3rd or 4th match I think)
https://streamable.com/wwxr?t=104.8

To me that last one is what Zardes is completely incapable of doing. Running at full speed he takes a touch off his head then his thigh and then slots it into the corner if not for a slight deflection by the keeper.

I don't know if Pulisic would give some up on defense relative to Zardes, probably not as good as Zardes that way, though against Colombia Pulisic took the ball off Cuadrado and dribbled about 30 yards down field.
And then re-watching what he did in the Ecuador game again, I might be wrong.
https://streamable.com/uddk

Given he's 17 and only getting better, he's probably an upgrade.

Regarding 9 games and 383 minutes.
He started AT Bayer Leverkausen and at Schalke, he was on the bench in the Europa QF. Those are big-time games.
   202. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:10 PM (#5239140)
According to this site he's played 383 minutes in 9 games. "Meaningful" seems like a bit of an oversell but that's just semantics I suppose.

As comparables, Transfermarkt* has Marcus Rashford at 11 games/861 minutes and Kelechi Iheanacho at 26 games/753 minutes. Iheanacho appears to have only once played the full 90' for Nigeria in his career (started two games, subbed in two games) [I'm ignoring Rashford, who has only played once for the English NT, due to the many other options England has in that role, as evidenced by the fact that this thread has had discussions about that :p]. Guillermo Varela has played substantially more for Utd than Pulisic for Dortmind and has never played for the first team Uruguay side.

Much better than Pulisic imo, but Munir was at 15/825 for Barcelona (I could have sworn more) and has never started for Spain (again, not a good comp due to Spain vs US).

I don't know if Pulisic is more Iheanacho or, say, Kingsley Coman or Lucas Vazquez, but given the number of minutes, my suspicion is somewhat below the former.

*which is normally quite reliable, imo.
   203. Stevey Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:12 PM (#5239145)
There was some really interesting speculation on Big Soccer post game that Jurgen was close to losing the players and thus played all the old guard, including Beckerman and Wondo, in an effort to solidify a group of vets behind him.

Other than some overblown fear of injury against a CONCACAF bunch down a few goals late or Pulisic hurting Jurgen's feeling by telling him that no US fan really considers Jurgen an honorary American and Californian I have no idea why he didn't play last night.

Of course it also wouldn't surprise me to see both Nagbe and Pulisic starting against Paraguay. I've long ago tried to predict WTF Jurgen will do.

Not that Jurgen has earned the benefit of the doubt with his playing time choices, but wasn't that exactly the type of game to give Wondo and Beckerman a bit of run? It was well over by the time they came on, and while we'd like to see Nagbe and Pulisic, there's no benefit to playing them, so you might as well get them 100% before Paraguay.
   204. spivey Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:14 PM (#5239149)
As comparables, Transfermarkt* has Marcus Rashford at 11 games/861 minutes and Kelechi Iheanacho at 26 games/753 minutes. Iheanacho appears to have only once played the full 90' for Nigeria in his career (started two games, subbed in two games) [I'm ignoring Rashford, who has only played once for the English NT, due to the many other options England has in that role, as evidenced by the fact that this thread has had discussions about that :p]. Guillermo Varela has played substantially more than Pulisic for Utd and has never played for the first team Uruguay side.

Iheanacho is a good comp, though I'd argue Nigeria has better topline talent than the US. But surely Iheanacho would be starting for Nigeria if they were in this tournament, right? Isn't that the point? Not that I think he should have gotten caps or starts a year ago. But now, yes.
   205. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:16 PM (#5239151)
Not that Jurgen has earned the benefit of the doubt with his playing time choices, but wasn't that exactly the type of game to give Wondo and Beckerman a bit of run? It was well over by the time they came on, and while we'd like to see Nagbe and Pulisic, there's no benefit to playing them, so you might as well get them 100% before Paraguay.

It's plausible but check back on Sunday to see if either actually plays.
   206. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:16 PM (#5239152)
Thanks for that Sean (I actually was looking at it on the last page). The thing that strikes me watching those highlights is how good his movement is off the ball. Maybe it's because I'm watching him closer than I normally watch a player but he seems to be incredibly good about finding space. He's a step ahead of everyone and not in the sense of being faster, he's not outrunning people to the spot, he's getting there because he sees it first.
   207. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:16 PM (#5239153)
But surely Iheanacho would be starting for Nigeria if they were in this tournament, right? Isn't that the point? Not that I think he should have gotten caps or starts a year ago. But now, yes.

None of the matches I referenced for Iheanacho were a year ago (EDIT: it is all in one of the links I provided). All four were this year (including some AFCON qualifiers), and the latter two were less than two weeks ago. He started one AFCON qualifier and was subbed in the other, and the same is true for the friendlies near the end of May. So I think it would be an open question as to whether he would start (and would likely not do so consistently).

And, as noted, this is for a player with substantially more frontline playing time than Pulisic (though probably a better NT squad, as you note).
   208. spivey Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:19 PM (#5239157)

None of the matches I referenced for Iheanacho were a year ago. All four were this year (including some AFCON qualifiers), and the latter two were less than two weeks ago.

I don't even know if we're arguing. I'll assume not - this kinda makes the point I feel I have. Iheanacho burst onto the stage for his club recently, and as a result is probably sewed up a starting position for Nigeria for the next 10 years. I think Pulisic is in a similar boat.
   209. Sean Forman Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:19 PM (#5239161)
I don't quite follow what you are saying with your comparisons. Are you saying this means Zardes is better or that Pulisic may not be all that great. Rashford is a reasonable comp as they both broke in late in the season, so didn't have full seasons to play. Iheanacho has been in the City lineup for over a year now.
   210. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:21 PM (#5239164)
I'm not saying anything! I'm just attempting to contextualize Pulisic's experience! I don't watch the USMNT enough to have an opinion on this*; I was just curious to see what other similar players would be like after seeing Jose's numbers.

Come on, you guys have argued with me enough to know that if I had a strong opinion, you'd know :p

*I try my hardest not to judge players/teams on only one or two games viewing.
   211. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:21 PM (#5239168)
He's a step ahead of everyone and not in the sense of being faster, he's not outrunning people to the spot, he's getting there because he sees it first.

Well he certainly will fit right in on the USMNT! Seriously though, a in a few years we could be looking at an attacking core of Pulisic, Zelalem, Nagbe, Hyndman and Wood! Now that is the sort of attacking group that can get you into a WC Semis. Especially as it looks like Brooks, Cameron, Besler and Yedlin will also be forming a solid unit.

Obviously injuries happen and development often seems to stall for young US players abroad but I'm excited, just need to move on from Jurgen.
   212. DA Baracus Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:25 PM (#5239172)

Wondo got 12 minutes. Beckerman got 7. That's not going to tire anyone, though the aspect of "you can't get injured if you're on the bench" is a real consideration.
   213. Sean Forman Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:25 PM (#5239174)
Thanks for that Sean (I actually was looking at it on the last page). The thing that strikes me watching those highlights is how good his movement is off the ball. Maybe it's because I'm watching him closer than I normally watch a player but he seems to be incredibly good about finding space. He's a step ahead of everyone and not in the sense of being faster, he's not outrunning people to the spot, he's getting there because he sees it first.

One thing I've noticed in soccer is how much ball watching there is when a shot is taken or a move starts. Most players kind of stand still until it's clear what to do next. I think Pulisic has that talent of figuring out the next move a little earlier than most everyone else.

Also, for the U19s (US and Dortmund) he's the #10 and that is probably where he plays long-term once he gets a little older.
   214. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:39 PM (#5239195)
Jurgen: "this is the most difficult group in the tourney"

The groups are fairly evenly matched but IMO it's fairly obvious that B is the toughest. US would have a helluva time getting out of that one.

The US would have replaced Brazil in Group B (because both were in pot 1). I think their group would have been easier in that case.

(IOW, the group may or may not be the most difficult, but from the US perspective it is the most difficult, because they would probably have been better off swapping with any of the other three pot 1 teams.)
   215. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:44 PM (#5239200)
@214, thanks for the explanation of his POV. The US is still playing at home, that's a big advantage. Just feels like Jurgen is now constantly trying to temper expectations. When he was hired, we all heard the opposite.
   216. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 08, 2016 at 02:46 PM (#5239202)
@214, thanks for the explanation of his POV. The US is still playing at home, that's a big advantage. Just feels like Jurgen is now constantly trying to temper expectations. When he was hired, we all heard the opposite.

Yeah he always says stuff like this, and a lot of it is crap. There is some truth to it in this case though.
   217. CWS Keith plans to [omitted] at [omitted] Posted: June 08, 2016 at 03:34 PM (#5239253)
Seriously though, a in a few years we could be looking at an attacking core of Pulisic, Zelalem, Nagbe, Hyndman and Wood! Now that is the sort of attacking group that can get you into a WC Semis.

What sort of players are you assuming the guys listed above turn into? Even if all of the above pan out, would that sort of core be better than, say, Mexico's current front-line? Would it rank top ten internationally?

I dunno, I hate to be the pessimistic one but it seems to me we still have a ways to go. It will be nice when we get to a spot where we've got six or seven Pulisics floating around at any one time -- after all, most are likely to flame out to some degree, so the more the better. Just to put this in more specific terms, I'm defining the next step as the US going from its current state -- should *always* make the WC, about 50/50 to get out of the group stages and likely underdogs thereafter -- to a team that's expected to make the knockouts of the WC regularly. I suppose I just don't see the group listed above as being appreciably better than the group the US brought to the Conferations Cup in SA (Donovan + Dempsey + pre-crash Davies(*)).

(*) Somewhat apropos of nothing, but the best US goal I've seen was scored by this group. Every touch was perfect.
   218. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 08, 2016 at 04:14 PM (#5239312)
Pulisic I can see playing for a CL contending club, if not a star, at least a solid starter. Nagbe I can see mid table EPL starter or 2nd choice. Hyndman similar though much higher upside with his youth. Zelalem might have the highest ceiling of anyone in the pool but he also needs to put on at least 20lbs and sharpen his mental game as well. Followed him closely at Rangers this year and he started out guns blazing, had a major rut, then recovered nicely. Needs more consistently. If he can somehow break camp with Arsenal this year it bodes really well.

Wood doesn't need to be a star just a solid starting Bundesliga striker.

I'm not an MLS hater but it's obvious we need guys, especially attackers, playing at the highest levels in Europe and I think that group could be the first to really do it consistently as attackers and midfielders.
   219. The Marksist Posted: June 08, 2016 at 04:15 PM (#5239313)
With the dual caveats that I know nothing and don't actually get to watch all that much soccer, I thought the US performance was both fun and encouraging, and also not really that encouraging. I mean, they created dangerous-looking counters almost at will, but never really created actual opportunities as a result. Poor touches, poor decision-making, someone holding the ball too long or not looking for the killer pass. Against a team with a little more defensive coherence, I think they'd have been hard-pressed to score at all. And they were on the edge of conceding a number of times despite dominating for long periods.

And I'm definitely ready for the gentle phasing out of Dempsey.
   220. Sean Forman Posted: June 08, 2016 at 05:26 PM (#5239393)
CWS Keith, I agree that we need five or six players playing in Champions League knockouts or dominating MLS before we'll be a major power, but I'm not sure how far off that is.

Pulisic could be a fixture for Dortmund.
Brooks will be in the Europa with Hertha next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays for Bayern at some point.
Zelalem is highly thought of at Arsenal and played a lot for Rangers at 18. I suspect he'll go on loan next year.
Carter-Vickers is 18 and probably is Tottenham's #4 Centerback right now
Fabian Johnson will be going to his 2nd year of CL play.

then you've got players like Hyndman, Miazga, Yedlin, Green who are at or linked to big clubs, but clearly aren't established there. And then another 20 u23's sprinkled around various major European clubs and a bunch more playing in LigaMx. Not all will pan out, but some might break out as well.
   221. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: June 08, 2016 at 05:26 PM (#5239394)
Pulisic I can see playing for a CL contending club, if not a star, at least a solid starter. Nagbe I can see mid table EPL starter or 2nd choice. Hyndman similar though much higher upside with his youth.

I think those are all realistic hopes, but also not that different from 2005, when DaMarcus Beasley led Eindhoven in scoring in the Champions League when they made the semifinals, Reyna was a regular at Man City, and Bobby Convey was about to emerge in the 106-point Reading team.
   222. ursus arctos Posted: June 08, 2016 at 05:31 PM (#5239400)
What Keith said in 217.

The quoted passage is delusional.
   223. jmurph Posted: June 08, 2016 at 05:54 PM (#5239414)
The quoted passage is delusional.

For me, what it does is highlight how difficult it is to evaluate national teams. Does getting to a WC semi somehow imply the US team is among the 4 best teams in the world? Of course not. Just like it wasn't one of the 8 best teams in 2002 when they made the quarters. You need a couple matches where you play over your head, you need a favorable draw, you need a favorable penalty decision here or there, etc. So no, I don't think it's delusional to pick any of the 16 or 20 top teams in the world to make a World Cup semifinal in the future. But is that really going to be a measure of success, or does a country need to routinely make semis and finals of major tournaments and be a realistic pick to win, based on quality rather than luck?

I thought the US team was fairly terrible in the 2014 World Cup, for instance. Yet we got out of the group and took a much better team to extra time. A twist here or there in that match and they're onto the quarters again.

Long-winded way of saying: tournament soccer is weird and I'll probably never have a firm grasp on how good or bad the US team really is.
   224. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 08, 2016 at 07:09 PM (#5239445)
Brazil looking to continue with the spine of their very redundant, lacking-dynamism lineup. Great.
   225. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 08, 2016 at 07:50 PM (#5239474)
I thought the US team was fairly terrible in the 2014 World Cup, for instance. Yet we got out of the group and took a much better team to extra time. A twist here or there in that match and they're onto the quarters again.

Right, I'm hardly expecting a WC semi, all I'm saying is that with the current crop of youngsters they might have a puncher's chance depending on draw, breaks, etc.
   226. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 08, 2016 at 08:50 PM (#5239530)
The US would have replaced Brazil in Group B (because both were in pot 1). I think their group would have been easier in that case.

Thinking about this, I noticed something that I don't think I've seen in this tournament format before. Each group opened with it's "marquee" matchup (pot 1 v pot 2). Usually tournaments randomize this as part of the draw, which is what the euros did this year and the WC in 2014.
   227. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 08, 2016 at 08:57 PM (#5239536)
With Brazil winning big, Peru has to play for the win tonight (because if they don't their only hope would probably be to beat Brazil or have Ecuador fail to beat Haiti).
   228. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: June 08, 2016 at 09:08 PM (#5239544)
Haiti scored. Moral victory!
   229. Baldrick Posted: June 08, 2016 at 09:51 PM (#5239592)
I sort of love that they apparently just decided that they wanted to score and were willing to lose 5-1 if that's what it took.
   230. frannyzoo Posted: June 08, 2016 at 10:24 PM (#5239617)
I thought the Bet365 line of 5.00 for Peru to win was kinda high.
   231. frannyzoo Posted: June 08, 2016 at 11:32 PM (#5239649)
The lack of defense here with Ecuador/Peru is quite entertaining.
   232. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 09, 2016 at 12:33 AM (#5239678)
Yes, it was a very entertaining game. Ecuador plays Haiti first on Sunday, and will try to run up the score, but it probably won't matter, unless somehow Brazil fails to beat Peru later in the evening.

Technically Brazil has not clinched advancement yet.
   233. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 09, 2016 at 03:07 PM (#5240168)
Relocate Sky Blue to New York!

The name would still describe the jersey color :p
   234. Baldrick Posted: June 09, 2016 at 03:38 PM (#5240209)
   235. Sean Forman Posted: June 09, 2016 at 03:48 PM (#5240218)
Getting ready for the VZ-UR match in phiily tonight and was looking up the clubs of the last starting lineups used. Looks to me that having five CL knockout stage players brings us to about Uruguay's level, maybe a bit behind that.

Here is their starting 11,
Barcelona
PSG
2 @ Atletico
Porto
Galatassary
Fiorentina
Getafe
Bourdeaux
2 @ lIga MX
Boca Jr.s => MLS (would be replaced by Suarez)

Obviously Godin and Suarez are better and much much better than anyone the US can expect to have in 5 years. And Cavani probably is too.

Last U.S. starting 11 was

Gladbach
Tottenham (just talking clubs here)
Hertha Berlin
Stoke
Nantes
Aston Villa
4@MLS
2. Bundesliga => Hamburg

U.S. still has a long ways to go, but a number of the younger prospects took pretty good steps up the ladder this past year.
   236. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 09, 2016 at 08:41 PM (#5240467)
I missed the first half; how are Uruguay behind? Are they being outplayed?

EDIT: Sean, we expect a full report when you get back from the match :p This goes for everyone who attends a match, mind!
   237. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 09, 2016 at 09:31 PM (#5240538)
Venezuela!!
   238. Textbook Editor Posted: June 09, 2016 at 09:59 PM (#5240561)
That goal for Venezuela was insane.
   239. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 10, 2016 at 09:01 AM (#5240674)
OK, catching up after a lot of hockey and MLB drafting;

Group A:
Colombia win group with draw or win OR US draw or loss
US win group with win AND Colombia loss
US advance with draw unless Costa Rica beat Colombia by 6 goals or more
If Paraguay AND Costa Rica win advancing comes down to GD between the two (currently Paraguay with 3 goal edge)

Group B:
Brazil win group with draw or win unless Ecuador beat Haiti by 7+ goals, then Brazil finishes second
Peru win group with win
Ecuador advance as second place team with a win AND a result in Brazil/Peru game - High potential for hijinks here. Brazil/Peru played after Ecuador/Haiti so they will know the result. Fortunately no such thing would ever happen in a soccer tournament.
Haiti are out.

Group C:
Mexico win group with draw or win
Venezuela win group with win
Uruguay and Jamaica are out
Winning this group is meaningful as second place team gets first place in Group D which is likely to be Argentina.
   240. ursus arctos Posted: June 10, 2016 at 10:24 AM (#5240726)
Serious sexual assault allegations against De Gea, Muniain and Isco

According to Spanish news website Eldiario.es a protected witness in a case being brought against porn baron Torbe has implicated Athletic Bilbao player Iker Muniain in being involved in a sexual assault, and David De Gea of being involved in organising the encounter where it took place.

241. Sean Forman Posted: June 10, 2016 at 01:56 PM (#5240950)
Venezuela's goal was amazing to see. took me a second to realize he was chipping the keeper. Rondon caused a lot of problems for UR. And they just could not play up the middle at all. VZ stoned any moves up the gut and UR were poor around the edges. VZ could have won 3-0 and had a ton of dangerous moves on counters. There were also 3-4 chances where Suarez finishes goals that Cavani couldn't. Crowd went bonkers when Suarez went to warmup. It was awesome.

Match was a lot of fun. Some skirmishes in the stands between fans. Probably 5-2-1 UR-neutrals-VZ fans. Lots of chippy south american stuff on the field. I had a hell of good time. very glad I went and looking forward to Chile Panama on Tuesday.

Announced attendance was 22k, but I suspect it was closer to 15k.

I added a BBTF league if you got your twatball entries done.
http://twatball.co.uk/?item=group&plain=1&id=86

242. frannyzoo Posted: June 10, 2016 at 03:05 PM (#5241013)
I imagine the CONMEBOL folks are watching the scenes from Euro right now and shaking their heads. Having the Copa in the U.S. is like American Football in London. No, it might not always be like that, but it is now. As the scenes from Paris demonstrate.

P.S.: Yes, I know...this is the host nation. But that only sharpens the contrast. It's there throughout, as further games will show.
   243. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 10, 2016 at 03:56 PM (#5241057)
I imagine the CONMEBOL folks are watching the scenes from Euro right now and shaking their heads. Having the Copa in the U.S. is like American Football in London. No, it might not always be like that, but it is now. As the scenes from Paris demonstrate.
If they lowered the ticket prices I would have gone to a game.

Ecuador advance as second place team with a win AND a result in Brazil/Peru game - High potential for hijinks here. Brazil/Peru played after Ecuador/Haiti so they will know the result. Fortunately no such thing would ever happen in a soccer tournament.

Assuming Ecuador wins by more than 1 goal (very likely), Ecuador would be in no matter the result in Peru/Brazil. Realistically, highjinks will only be possible if Ecuador beat Haiti by exactly 1 goal. If that were to happen, Peru and Brazil could conceivably agree to play to a high scoring draw and Ecuador would lose out.

In other words, Peru almost certainly has to win, and Brazil almost certainly will try to prevent them from doing so.
   244. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: June 10, 2016 at 04:19 PM (#5241074)
Nice play be Giroud, and terrible play by the Romanian keeper leads to a goal. I would guess that's called a foul on Giroud more often than not, but the keeper should never have let it happen anyway.
   245. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 10, 2016 at 04:25 PM (#5241079)
Sold the pen, but don't have any problems with the call. And we're level again!
   246. spivey Posted: June 10, 2016 at 04:30 PM (#5241082)
Griezmann had a bad game. Got into really good positions but he needed a goal with his chances.
   247. Textbook Editor Posted: June 10, 2016 at 04:37 PM (#5241085)
If they lowered the ticket prices I would have gone to a game.

I'm pretty sure nosebleeds at the Linc were $45 with most lower bowl corner seats $70-75 IIRC. With school not quite out yet (at least in NJ), this is an odd time of year to try to attend a game. But yeah, if the matchup was better and to get a decent seat I wasn't looking at laying out at least $150+ for me and TE Jr. to go, I'd have tried to catch a game at the Linc.

For perspective, TE Jr. and I *did* catch a game this week 20 rows up from 3rd base at Citizen's Bank Park for $106 total. These were good seats--far, far better than the ones on offer for $75 at the Linc. If they had priced all lower bowl seats at $40-$50 it would have been sold out, I think. There are big soccer fans around here, but everyone I talked to the past few weeks said there was no way they'd pay the prices to go.
   248. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 10, 2016 at 04:50 PM (#5241091)
Payet tournament MVP
   249. Baldrick Posted: June 10, 2016 at 04:55 PM (#5241095)
That was a pretty good goal, huh?
   250. Swedish Chef Posted: June 10, 2016 at 06:38 PM (#5241147)

American Football in London draws the crowds.

P.S.: Yes, I know...this is the host nation. But that only sharpens the contrast. It's there throughout, as further games will show.

It's easy travel for most countries' fans.
   251. Mefisto Posted: June 10, 2016 at 07:03 PM (#5241158)
That looks like a pretty weak crowd for Chile/Bolivia.
   252. frannyzoo Posted: June 10, 2016 at 08:01 PM (#5241176)
Shoeless: There's the simple crowd size and then there's the intensity of that crowd. Mexico matches will be the only ones approaching the Euro in that respect, along with, perhaps, a USA being in the Final. I'm thinking of my own experience being in Gdansk in the days leading to Euro '12 there. That place was crazy and Poland wasn't playing anywhere near the place (although Spain, Italy, Croatia and Ireland were...what a quartet!).
   253. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 10, 2016 at 08:36 PM (#5241199)
Brazil in nj will have a large and loud crowd.

I keep vacillating between "bravo should have saved that" and "that kick was awesome".
   254. frannyzoo Posted: June 10, 2016 at 08:58 PM (#5241213)
I almost always root for the underdog, but I want Chile in the Quarters. Heck, I want Chile in the Final (along with Ecuador and Colombia). It would be round-robin, like the CWS. Looks like I'll be rooting for teams wearing the day-glo yellow from here on out.

Yay...
   255. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 10, 2016 at 09:07 PM (#5241221)
Not a penalty
   256. Mefisto Posted: June 10, 2016 at 09:08 PM (#5241222)
This game is pretty wild, but that's no penalty.
   257. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 10, 2016 at 09:28 PM (#5241230)
^ what those guys said
   258. frannyzoo Posted: June 10, 2016 at 09:47 PM (#5241238)
That's a MUFC/City connection there for the Argentine goal. Well, sorta. Glad to see Otamendi get a goal. He's been mistreated (well, as much as a guy getting probably $155,000 a week or more can) by his stint in EPL. Hmm...he also shares a connection with di Maria in that regard.
   259. frannyzoo Posted: June 10, 2016 at 09:54 PM (#5241247)
I love Mascherano. He's also a d*ck. We sports fans have to deal with such moral dilemmas all the time.
   260. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 10, 2016 at 10:19 PM (#5241264)
Is it my imagination or are the red cards flying at the Copa?
   261. Langer Monk Posted: June 10, 2016 at 11:13 PM (#5241308)
Just isn't fair.
   262. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 10, 2016 at 11:19 PM (#5241314)
Poor Otomendi, no one is going to be talking about his goal.
   263. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 10, 2016 at 11:22 PM (#5241316)
God this is wonderful to watch.
   264. Mefisto Posted: June 10, 2016 at 11:30 PM (#5241326)
Batistuta is sitting at home grateful that he'll still have the record for another few days.
   265. frannyzoo Posted: June 10, 2016 at 11:30 PM (#5241327)
Well, he might not be a "leader" but the little one can f*ckin' score. Repeatedly.
   266. Swedish Chef Posted: June 11, 2016 at 06:35 AM (#5241437)
That place was crazy and Poland wasn't playing anywhere near the place (although Spain, Italy, Croatia and Ireland were...what a quartet!).

Yes, but as I said, it's easy and cheap to travel for the fans, the World Cups in South Africa (despite the vuvuzelas) and Brazil weren't half as good.

And the Poland-Ukraine Euros were pretty bad from a fan perspective compared to earlier Euros.
   267. Sean Forman Posted: June 11, 2016 at 08:22 AM (#5241440)
I'm pretty sure nosebleeds at the Linc were $45 with most lower bowl corner seats $70-75 IIRC.

Textbook Editor

I was at the game Thursday and there was zero checking of tickets inside the stadium. Literally none. For Chile and Panama I suspect it would be exactly the same. I'd check and see if there are a lot of unsold tickets remaining and if so I think (but I'd feel horrible if I was wrong) that you could probably sit in any unoccupied seat you want.

Looking at the tickets available there are entire sections with almost no sold seats. I'm pretty certain you can sit in the lower bowl with zero hassle.
   268. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 11, 2016 at 10:17 AM (#5241454)
I am destined to never see a game this summer that is 11 on 11. What is with all the red cards?
   269. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM (#5241462)
Can't blame the refs on this one - Cana was being daft (or is it "Cana was daft").

For those Philly area guys - is there a good soccer bar in the Northern Liberties/Fishtown area to watch tonight's game?
   270. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 11, 2016 at 10:45 AM (#5241465)
It's amazing how many one-on-ones with the keeper that are blown this game.
   271. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: June 11, 2016 at 10:45 AM (#5241466)
Wow, brilliant chance for Albania to equalize. Gashi has to score there, but great save from Sommer as well.
   272. Richard Posted: June 11, 2016 at 11:56 AM (#5241494)
Albania only have themselves to blame for not getting a draw.

Wayne Hennessey misses out for Wales due to injury. Danny Ward starts in his place.

A lot rests on Gareth Bale here.
   273. Mefisto Posted: June 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM (#5241505)
When did alt-Aaron Ramsey first show up?
   274. Baldrick Posted: June 11, 2016 at 12:17 PM (#5241507)
A lot rests on Gareth Bale here.

Step 1: Rely on Gareth Bale
Step 2: Bale scores
Step 3: PROFIT

(Keeper should've stopped that one, TBH, but looks like he twitched in the wrong direction and then couldn't recover)
   275. Mefisto Posted: June 11, 2016 at 12:40 PM (#5241515)
Skrtel should've gotten at least a yellow for that.
   276. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 11, 2016 at 12:44 PM (#5241518)
Yeah, he's really lucky to still be on. The Wales fans are setting a marker for the rest of the teams in tournament.
   277. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 11, 2016 at 01:10 PM (#5241530)
When did alt-Aaron Ramsey first show up?

You can say that again: I'm really having trouble with this match, because I can't get past his bloody hair. Why is he taking fashion tips from the neo-Nazis in the movie Higher Learning (or, alternatively, Ivan Drago's personal stylist [or alternatively alternatively, anyone who though Sanjaya's hair was okay])?

I feel like the others in that episode of HIMYM where Ted dyes his hair blonde.

This is not a good idea. I can't in good conscience support Wales with his hair looking like that.
   278. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 11, 2016 at 01:12 PM (#5241531)
That hair is red card worthy on its own.

And in that subject another day and another ref and Slovakia could be down to nine men. Between some of their tactics and the welsh fans singing I am really pulling for Wales.
   279. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 11, 2016 at 01:42 PM (#5241544)
How does Skrtel keep getting away with these stupid things around the box?
   280. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 11, 2016 at 01:55 PM (#5241548)
That was a really fun game. The welsh fans....damn.
   281. Richard Posted: June 11, 2016 at 02:10 PM (#5241551)
Wait till you see what Fellaini's done to his hair.

Ramsey Man of the Match for me. Great energy.
   282. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 11, 2016 at 02:38 PM (#5241562)
England plays a very offensive lineup. Rooney and Alli in the midfield with Dier holding. Kane, Sterling and Lallana up top.
   283. Mefisto Posted: June 11, 2016 at 03:49 PM (#5241583)
I'm not sure "offensive" is quite the right word. Lots of guys who can move the ball around well, but not a lot of goals. Sterling, Lallana and Rooney won't score much. That leaves it up to Kane and Alli.
   284. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: June 11, 2016 at 03:49 PM (#5241584)
Having your best goalscorer being the one to take corners seems...suboptimal.
   285. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 11, 2016 at 04:01 PM (#5241587)
Sterling feels like he should score more than he does.
   286. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 11, 2016 at 04:12 PM (#5241593)
Man, Russia are so much less dynamic offensively without Alan Dzagoev.
   287. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: June 11, 2016 at 04:32 PM (#5241597)
That leaves it up to Kane and Alli.

and Dier
   288. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: June 11, 2016 at 04:38 PM (#5241598)
I didn't even know Dier could take free kicks.
   289. Langer Monk Posted: June 11, 2016 at 04:47 PM (#5241602)
And that's what happens when you don't score a second.
   290. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: June 11, 2016 at 04:51 PM (#5241603)
What a weird goal. That seemed to stay in the air forever. No one could have kept that out?
   291. Mefisto Posted: June 11, 2016 at 04:53 PM (#5241604)
That was a terrible ending for England, but they should still make it out of this group pretty easily. Their big problem will come in the KO stage, because they don't look to score often enough.
   292. sardonic Posted: June 11, 2016 at 07:17 PM (#5241634)
Impressive from John Brooks.
   293. spivey Posted: June 11, 2016 at 08:35 PM (#5241656)
Bobby Wood has really impressed me in the bits of the Copa America I've watched. He picked up a stupid yellow right there though.

But he could really be a great center forward since Altidore's chance of being a consistent impact player for the US is probably over.
   294. spivey Posted: June 11, 2016 at 08:43 PM (#5241660)
John Brooks, too, though I've been impressed with him for a while.

For as shaky as a lot of the top centerbacks look across basically every top team (besides Juventus, Leicester, Tottenham, and Atletico) I feel like Brooks could have a future at that level.
   295. spivey Posted: June 11, 2016 at 08:47 PM (#5241664)
Yedlin doesn't know how to play soccer. Now he's at a position where his athleticism shines and lack of skill is masked, but he's just not good at the soccer aspect of soccer.
   296. Jose is an Absurd Time Cube Posted: June 11, 2016 at 08:57 PM (#5241666)
I just walked in a few minutes ago but from what I've seen Brooks has been terrific. I'm with Spivey that he has a future. Jones looks absolutely cooked out there right now but he's doing a job it looks like.
   297. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: June 11, 2016 at 08:59 PM (#5241667)
Yay quarterfinals.
   298. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: June 11, 2016 at 09:01 PM (#5241668)
team needs to buy brooks a couple cases. wow. ugly ass win saved by a moment of brilliance from zardes (who blew a fairly straighforward finish to make it 2-0 later, because duh) and john brooks.

very ugly game the ref let it get out of hand early and the US had no midfield because bradley apparently sucks now. ugly.
   299. spivey Posted: June 11, 2016 at 09:01 PM (#5241669)
I'm not sure "offensive" is quite the right word. Lots of guys who can move the ball around well, but not a lot of goals. Sterling, Lallana and Rooney won't score much. That leaves it up to Kane and Alli.

Yeah, I mean Sterling I think scores an acceptable amount of goals for a winger. But yes, they don't get the amount of goals you'd like out of the non-striker positions.

Lallana is a good example. He's good at soccer, but he kinda fills in the gaps. He's not going to unlock the defense a lot or score a lot.

I don't expect Lallana and Rooney to be able to boss midfield.

I mean think about some of these other teams. German has Kroos and many other good central mids. France has Pogba and Kante.

England's central midfield both can't dominate the field but they also aren't going to get the world class passes to unlock a defense. It's kinda just no man's land.
   300. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: June 11, 2016 at 09:02 PM (#5241670)
I was really confused why Iturbe doesn't start for Paraguay. He was excellent off the bench here; got bags of pace, that one.
Page 3 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (CTL)
for his generous support.