Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, February 24, 2014

OT: The NHL is finally back thread, part 2

Now that the Olympics are over it’s time for the important Hockey to restart.

Meatwad Posted: February 24, 2014 at 04:54 PM | 1033 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hockey, nhl, off topic, only thing canada is good at

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11
   1001. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: January 19, 2015 at 03:52 PM (#4884020)
flip
   1002. Langer Monk Posted: January 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM (#4884994)
Good night Zac Rinaldo.
   1003. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: January 20, 2015 at 10:41 PM (#4885006)
His all-star break will likely be extended by two weeks or so.
   1004. APNY Posted: January 20, 2015 at 10:51 PM (#4885011)
More career misconducts than points
   1005. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: January 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM (#4885017)
Rinaldo after the game, and I swear I did not make this up: "I changed the whole game, man. Who knows what would have happened if I didn't do what I did?"
   1006. Langer Monk Posted: January 21, 2015 at 06:05 PM (#4885600)
Yeah, they might have won in regulation instead.
   1007. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: January 26, 2015 at 07:18 PM (#4888286)
   1008. Langer Monk Posted: January 27, 2015 at 05:31 PM (#4888750)
I remember watching his first start in a Devils uniform. March of 1992. He was 19, only a couple years older than me. Martin Brodeur has now retired and I feel suitably old.
   1009. don't ask 57i66135; he wants to hang them all Posted: January 27, 2015 at 06:06 PM (#4888768)
Rinaldo after the game, and I swear I did not make this up: "I changed the whole game, man. Who knows what would have happened if I didn't do what I did?"
noone's gonna shed a tear for rinaldo, but this guy can go #### himself with a rusty trombone. you're a special kind of ####### if you take a shot at kimmo timonen.
   1010. vagab0nd kills for candy Posted: February 19, 2015 at 09:52 PM (#4900603)
I wish the Jackets could play every game against Pennsylvania teams. Just stay away from the mighty Yotes...

Also, not only did Dubinsky score the game winner tonight, he also fought Crosby, which, allegedly, makes him the only person to have fought Crosby and Ovechkin in NHL history.
   1011. Langer Monk Posted: February 26, 2015 at 06:49 PM (#4904364)
Toronto gave up on Clarkson already. That didn't take long. Jagr to the Panthers for two picks is great news.
   1012. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: March 01, 2015 at 04:31 AM (#4905351)
Stephen Pettigrew's of Harvard University paper on NHL offensive win probabilities made the Finals for the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference top research paper.

Very cool in that it's the closest thing we have to WAR (albeit offense only) for NHL players. Yes on one hand a lot of the predictable names dominate the top of the list but not in the order you'd expect. But moar importantly would be the value in grading the mid-range players the ones who are harder to sort from Goals/Points alone.
   1013. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: March 01, 2015 at 05:26 AM (#4905353)
Just to add two thoughts.

One, with the official announcement of the NHL adding a new advanced stats page, it would be fantastic if this was one of the new stats listed.

Two, perhaps even better would be if the NHL does decide to use Pettigrew's work that it acknowledge and maybe even pay him a finder's fee of some sort. As opposed to the despicable way they coopted all the current advanced stats, changed their names, and disavowed any credit to the hard working loving fans who ya know actually created the fucking things.
   1014. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: April 07, 2015 at 10:38 PM (#4926030)
This thread is officially dead, but I'm briefly resurrecting it to tip my hat to the Penguins, who stand on the cusp of completing the most spectacular March/April collapse in NHL history. Which is pretty amazing seeing that they have the best player in the NHL and he has played almost every game of said collapse. What a rolling catastrophe of a team.
   1015. Meatwad Posted: April 07, 2015 at 11:34 PM (#4926065)
Hawks are treadijg water and need kane for any offense. Perhaps if we start a new thread it will get new interest.
   1016. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: April 08, 2015 at 12:31 AM (#4926079)
What a rolling catastrophe of a team.

Well they were looking for drastic changes last off-season firing their coach and GM, and drastic change is what they got.
   1017. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: April 08, 2015 at 12:46 AM (#4926083)
Yeah, I can't figure out how hiring the architect of a team that reached the playoffs 3 times in 12 years and a career minor league coach didn't work out. It's incredible.
   1018. Langer Monk Posted: April 08, 2015 at 06:59 PM (#4926718)
Starting a new thread for the playoffs would be a good idea, probably. I could use somewhere to root against that certain New York club.
   1019. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: April 08, 2015 at 10:58 PM (#4926922)
On December 16th, the Leafs won their 6th straight game to improve their record to 19-9-3. In the 50 games since, they have an 11-35-4 record, for a pathetic .260 winning percentage. That is a pretty bad combination of poor talent and poor effort. They need to completely rebuild, tear things to the ground and start over. It sucks that the Leafs have been so bad for so long, and still need to rebuild but that is the situation.
   1020. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: April 09, 2015 at 12:25 PM (#4927256)
Yeah, I can't figure out how hiring the architect of a team that reached the playoffs 3 times in 12 years and a career minor league coach didn't work out. It's incredible.

And now if the Penguins don't make the playoffs, a distinct possibility, moar changes are on the way. Including trading the team's star players, becuz it's clearly their fault and not the marginal talent you surrounded them with.

But by all means, let's double down on the drastic changes, it worked so well the first time.
   1021. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: April 09, 2015 at 12:51 PM (#4927318)
Johnston will be fired the day after they get swept out of the first round, but Rutherford is safe. Hate to suggest it but the evidence is slowly growing that ownership might be the problem.

No Penguins stars are going anywhere because they all have no trade clauses.
   1022. don't ask 57i66135; he wants to hang them all Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:09 PM (#4927349)
And now if the Penguins don't make the playoffs, a distinct possibility, moar changes are on the way. Including trading the team's star players, becuz it's clearly their fault and not the marginal talent you surrounded them with.

But by all means, let's double down on the drastic changes, it worked so well the first time.
i know you're just a troll, but it absolutely starts with crosby. he loses his focus when he gets emotional and it leads to him and his team doing stupid things that cost them when it counts.

malkin is right behind him. he's not as emotional as crosby (that's not saying much. leave brittany alone isn't as emotional as crosby), but he'll get sucked in to a game of pond hockey just the same.

letang. ha. hahaha.

fleury; you know, there are probably 40 goalies at any given time that can carry a team to the cup and fleury is one of them. he's also the most likely player in the league to end your season single handedly.

trying to win a cup around that core is like trying to use a water balloon for a dildo. you can kinda see how it might work, but...nope.
   1023. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:13 PM (#4927354)
You can't change your stars' personalities; the only thing it's in the team's power to do is hire the right coach. Mike Johnston seems like a nice guy and a competent enough tactician by NHL coaching standards, but he's the opposite of the right coach for this team. It needs a veteran coach with a spine and the ability to instill discipline (that is, stop melting down and forgetting to play hockey every time an opponent cheap shots you, it just encourages opponents to keep cheap shotting you) and persuade veteran players (the Penguins are one of the oldest teams in the NHL) to buy into a system that requires them to play disciplined hockey in their own end.

It's not an easy task.

The most obvious refutation of STEAGLES' assertion is that, uh, that core already has won a Cup. That was with a much better supporting cast and the lingering ultra-disciplined influence of Michel Therrien.
   1024. Yardape Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:19 PM (#4927374)
The most obvious refutation of STEAGLES' assertion is that, uh, that core already has won a Cup. That was with a much better supporting cast and the lingering ultra-disciplined influence of Michel Therrien.

Right, I was going to say this. Yes, the Penguins need to stop the meltdowns, but they also need more than three good players.

As a Canadiens fan, I'm not sure though if Therrien should be given much credit for the Penguins' Cup. Or maybe Montreal just needs to fire him, so they can reap the benefits of his ultra-discipline without the handicap of his poor tactics.
   1025. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:22 PM (#4927379)
Following the Rangers win last night, Mats Zuccarello was speaking with a reporter from the Norwegian newspaper Nettavisen when Rangers owner James Dolan came by and “interrupted” the interview.

Dolan said that he expects to see Zuccarello this summer at a Blues festival in Notodden, Norway where Dolan’s band JD and the Straight Shot will play.

Zuccarello told Dolan that he would come to the festival but that he would need a reminder because he was “going to forget.”

Dolan then joked to Zuccarello, “if you remember to come I will remember to pay you.”

Keep cutting dem checks.
   1026. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:26 PM (#4927385)
The Penguins could actually use Therrien right now (and I say this as someone who is not overfond of Therrien's style.) The things Therrien does bring to the table are the things the Penguins need--discipline and a cohesive system. The trick with Therrien is knowing when to pull the trigger on firing him (the Canadiens should have done so a few months ago).
   1027. PASTE, Now with Extra Pitch and Extra Stamina Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:27 PM (#4927387)
STEAGLES is correct, by the way, that the book on the Penguins has gotten all over the league and it says "take cheap shots at them and they will melt down and stop playing hockey." Their opponents do it so relentlessly because it works. They need a coach who can persuade the players to cut that out (and they need to stop signing Steve Downie or anyone like him.) They lead the league in major penalties AND in blowing leads for a reason.
   1028. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:28 PM (#4927389)
i know you're just a troll,

And we know your an egotistical asshole with no problems slandering people.
   1029. don't ask 57i66135; he wants to hang them all Posted: April 09, 2015 at 01:29 PM (#4927392)

crosby was, what, 20 years old when they won the cup? he was the best player, he might have been the captain, but he wasn't the leader.

i think it's too late to try to do the discipline thing. when things get tough, your guys are gonna do what they know, and what they know is pond hockey. you need to find a coach who plays into that, not away from it.
   1030. DA Baracus Posted: April 09, 2015 at 02:54 PM (#4927540)
I am shocked, shocked I tell you to discover that trading high draft picks and prospects year in and year out for rentals and average players would lead to the Penguins having no depth.
   1031. Mark Edward Posted: April 14, 2015 at 03:26 PM (#4930797)
The Preds are going to obnoxious lengths to keep Hawks' fan from outnumbering/out-cheering Preds' fans in Nashville.

he Predators will play the national anthem — not "God Bless America" — prior to home playoff games against Chicago.

The issue came into question because Chicago fans, in a tradition that dates back three decades, clap and cheer loudly during the national anthem, believing it adds to the patriotic spirit of the song.

Many Predators fans, however, consider Chicago's tradition to be disrespectful, and don't appreciate the frequently large number of Blackhawks fans making so much noise during the anthem in an opposing city.

In one of Chicago's two visits here during the regular season, the Predators chose to play "God Bless America" instead of the national anthem before the game, hoping it would quiet Blackhawks fans.
But Predators president Sean Henry said the anthem will be played — with a slight twist — prior to the games against Chicago.

Instead of the customary practice of having an artist sing the anthem, the Predators will have an artist ask the entire Bridgestone Arena crowd to sing it. The Preds chose that strategy in their last two regular-season home games, with Vince Gill and Charlie Daniels, respectively, asking Nashville fans to carry the song.

"All the eyes were on them, and they both said, `Hey, we're in Music City and we all love America, so I'm not singing the anthem for you. Let's sing it together,'" Henry said. "When you have 17,000 people singing the anthem, I don't think there's anything more powerful. It's really been pretty special the last two games, so hopefully we'll build on that tradition through the playoffs."

Will it stop Blackhawks fans from clapping and cheering during the anthem here?

"It would almost be against God, country and apple pie to shout and cheer through the person next to you singing the anthem of the United States of America, wouldn't it?" Henry said.

The Predators had previously announced a number of measures designed to fill Bridgestone with as many Preds fans — and as few Blackhawks fans — as possible.

Among those moves:
• Playoff tickets to the general public at first went on sale only at local Kroger stores and at Bridgestone, meaning buyers had to purchase them in person.

• When the Preds eventually put playoff tickets online, they were available only to purchasers within the team's television viewing area.

I kind of feel for them, having been to several Hawks/Wings games in the early 2000's where Hawks' fans were severely outnumbered.
   1032. SteveF Posted: April 15, 2015 at 02:44 PM (#4931599)
Hearing that Ray Shero is one of the front runners for the Bruins GM job. Shoot me now.
   1033. Meatwad Posted: April 15, 2015 at 03:05 PM (#4931630)
new thread submitted
Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.