Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, February 24, 2014

OT: The NHL is finally back thread, part 2

Now that the Olympics are over it’s time for the important Hockey to restart.

odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: February 24, 2014 at 05:54 PM | 970 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hockey, nhl, off topic, only thing canada is good at

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > 
   601. Pooty Lederhosen Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM (#4708093)
I can kinda see why Bruins fans might not like him, but I'd think it'd be in the begrudingly respect category, not in the only love when he's on your team category (like a Marchand). As a hockey fan, I ####### love him and everything about him. He's someone all hockey fans should like, IMO.

Oh, any dislike of him is based on the utmost respect. Any guy who says before Game 7 that it's his mission to take the piss out of the home crowd, and does it, deserves respect. Any player as good as him deserves a ton of respect.

But when it comes to chippy, dirty, and chirpy play, he and the Schnozz can easily go head to head.
   602. Pooty Lederhosen Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM (#4708095)
Hire Tortorella!

The pride of Concord-Carlisle High School!
   603. ursus arctos Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM (#4708105)
Did he inherit that title from Bob Diamond?
   604. ursus arctos Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM (#4708110)
Bylsma not fired after all. New GM to make the call.
   605. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4708113)
I can kinda see why Bruins fans might not like him, but I'd think it'd be in the begrudingly respect category, not in the only love when he's on your team category (like a Marchand). As a hockey fan, I ####### love him and everything about him. He's someone all hockey fans should like, IMO.

That's about right in the "begrudging respect." I wouldn't say he's someone all hockey fans should like though. His game is terrific but he also gets chippy at times and he's a diver. In fairness he's toned that down the last couple of seasons.

Again, great player and if we had him I'd love him like I do with Marchand who has many of the same attributes in greater number.
   606. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4708114)
I'll add the guy I really liked from that series was Weise. Thought he was a solid, hard-nosed player.
   607. ursus arctos Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM (#4708122)
Which is exactly what he was supposed to be in Vancouver, but never was. Guy has been transformed. Don't know if that is Therrien, one of the assistants, or Weise himself, but it is a striking transformation.

If PK was a Bruin, he would enjoy Big Papi levels of adulation.
   608. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM (#4708125)
But when it comes to chippy, dirty, and chirpy play, he and the Schnozz can easily go head to head.

I'll refrain from commenting on the chippy or chirpy, but definitely am protesting the dirty call, especially in relation to, well, just about any Bruin (at least from watching this series).
   609. Pooty Lederhosen Posted: May 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM (#4708172)
Did he inherit that title from Bob Diamond?

I had no idea who he is until I looked him up. He wouldn't make my top 3, in any event.
   610. ursus arctos Posted: May 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM (#4708179)
Ah, guess you need to know finance, or spent lots of time in London fairly recently.

Rather similar career path to Torts, as it happens.
   611. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 16, 2014 at 02:04 PM (#4708236)
looks like nothing will happen from the cooke hit in game 6.
   612. zack Posted: May 16, 2014 at 02:19 PM (#4708257)
I'm really surprised to see people (well...puck daddy commentators, anyway) suggesting that the Bruins should trade Chara.
   613. DA Baracus Posted: May 16, 2014 at 02:25 PM (#4708266)
well...puck daddy commentators, anyway

Well there's your problem. Don't read Puck Daddy.
   614. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 16, 2014 at 02:30 PM (#4708270)
I'm really surprised to see people (well...puck daddy commentators, anyway) suggesting that the Bruins should trade Chara.

Haven't seen the comments but I imagine it's of the Branch Rickey "trade a guy a year too early rather than a year too late" philosophy. Chara was terrific again this season but it was a slightly reduced version of terrific from previous years and he's 37. He would probably fetch a princely sum in return and free up money to do something.

The problem is it doesn't make a ton of sense for the Bruins. The Bruins are the type of team that would do well to acquire a player like Chara. An aging player even with a year or two left is still valuable to a team that is going to make a run. Not having Seidenberg riding shotgun with him was part of the problem also, Seidenberg is SUCH a steadying presence. He's the Bruins equivalent of a great set up reliever. He's never the guy on the post-game show getting the accolades but he really plays an important role.

A return by Seidenberg and some continued progression from the young defensemen should offset any slippage from Chara. I'm always of the opinion that any player can be dealt if you get a proper return, I'd move him for Crosby but there is no chance of that so I would not even waste my energy pondering trade options.
   615. ursus arctos Posted: May 16, 2014 at 02:39 PM (#4708278)
   616. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 16, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4708279)
The reasons to consider trading Chara are because of his age, and the fact that he's looked bad/worn down in the playoffs 2 years in a row now. Also, with the salary cap stuff the B's have to go through, if they can get rid of his contract and get some value in return it could go pretty far to keeping most of the rest of the team in place. But you're right, in that the B's are likely to be contenders again next year and should be getting players like him and not getting rid of him. The type of player that would help them next year and is worth Chara just isn't going to be available.

617. Pooty Lederhosen Posted: May 16, 2014 at 02:50 PM (#4708288)
A return by Seidenberg and some continued progression from the young defensemen should offset any slippage from Chara. I'm always of the opinion that any player can be dealt if you get a proper return, I'd move him for Crosby but there is no chance of that so I would not even waste my energy pondering trade options.

The Globe's Fluto Shinzawa had a nice piece about off-season courses of action. The gist is the need to adjust, but not overhaul. Getting another puck-moving defenseman is the priority (i.e. Yandle or Edler). Possible trade bait for that is Marchand, Boychuk. Resign Iginla. Hope to hell that someone wants Bartkowski.

He doesn't mention it, but I'd add that resigning Thornton seems like a no-brainer. He's good at what he does, plus he can generate some offense, and by all accounts he's a great guy to have in your locker room. My hunch is he wants to stay in Boston, too.

Edited to add: Judging from his press conference today, it doesn't sound like Chiarelli agrees with me on that last point.
   618. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 16, 2014 at 03:02 PM (#4708302)

Edited to add: Judging from his press conference today, it doesn't sound like Chiarelli agrees with me on that last point.

Haven't heard what he said but everything since it happened has pointed to the Bruins being pretty pissed about the water squirt and it being a straw that broke the camel's back. I agree with you on Thornton but there is a shelf life on these sorts of instigators and I think the B's are looking for a bit more from theirs at this point.
   619. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 16, 2014 at 03:10 PM (#4708315)
Haven't heard what he said but everything since it happened has pointed to the Bruins being pretty pissed about the water squirt and it being a straw that broke the camel's back.

Hilarious. Water squirt? That's it, you're gone! Attempted murder - just doing your job. /hyperbole

He's really not that good by most advanced stats, and he's a 4th liner. He's probably one of those guys whose production can be replaced by a cheaper, younger guy; that obviously doesn't speak to the other intangible stuff (though this is a successful veteran team, I think they can get over it).
   620. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 16, 2014 at 03:19 PM (#4708327)
In fairness "attempted murder" is basically the job description for a fourth liner. I think the shenanigans earlier in the season didn't sit well either and as I said, this was just the final straw.
   621. Pooty Lederhosen Posted: May 16, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4708328)
?@BruinsDaily "Sometimes his antics get in his own way." Chiarelli on Marchand and his reputation.

?@AmalieBenjamin Chiarelli said that Thornton had an "up and down" year, also talked about how the league is trending away from fisticuffs.

?@BruinsDaily More from Chiarelli " [the league] is trending away from fighting." In regards to Shawn Thornton and his season.

The concrete news is that the team will talk to the UFA's and RFA's in a couple of weeks, and "We're not going to make too many changes. But we will make some changes."

Edited to add: I'd forgotten about his in-season stupid thuggery. That's a big oversight on my part.
   622. Yardape Posted: May 16, 2014 at 05:31 PM (#4708444)
Which is exactly what he was supposed to be in Vancouver, but never was. Guy has been transformed. Don't know if that is Therrien, one of the assistants, or Weise himself, but it is a striking transformation.

As a Canadiens fan I was underwhelmed with the trade at the time. Not that Diaz is a world-beater, but he's a decent depth defenceman and I thought they basically gave him away. Turns out that Weise has been pretty decent. I don't know whether that's fluke or whether Bergevin identified something there.
   623. ursus arctos Posted: May 16, 2014 at 05:45 PM (#4708450)
And as a Canucks fan, I thought they were getting Diaz for basically nothing.

Sometimes you never know.
   624. zack Posted: May 16, 2014 at 06:26 PM (#4708475)
The Bruins are going to have to make some significant moves, they basically used the same strategy that the Blackhawks did in 2010, just load up and to hell with the bonuses.
   625. Langer Monk Posted: May 16, 2014 at 07:30 PM (#4708506)
Well, congrats, Zeth - I'm surprised the Penguins had the vision to drop Shero.
   626. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: May 16, 2014 at 08:45 PM (#4708532)
I am too, though I don't envy his successor, who is inevitably going to be fired in three years because the Penguins' problems aren't solvable in the near future (Crosby being a child = not solvable; Letang being a lazy cherrypicker = not solvable; lack of young talent = solvable, but even if the next GM solves it he's still going to get fired right about when his program begins to bear fruit, because the Penguins are going to remain basically the same team and continue losing to lower seeds in the playoffs every year until it does).

As for the keeping Bylsma, I'm pretty sure they'll hold onto him until about two hours after Washington announces its new coach.
   627. Langer Monk Posted: May 16, 2014 at 09:45 PM (#4708558)
What did Jonas Hiller do, by the way, to find himself on the bench?
   628. SteveF Posted: May 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM (#4708568)
880 save % in march/april at the end of the regular season over 10 games, 2 of which he was pulled early from.
   629. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 17, 2014 at 12:14 AM (#4708600)
Hawks Kings repeat match up, winner will get to destroy whoever comes out of the east.
   630. Flynn Posted: May 17, 2014 at 08:16 AM (#4708643)
In fairness "attempted murder" is basically the job description for a fourth liner. I think the shenanigans earlier in the season didn't sit well either and as I said, this was just the final straw.

If you're the Bruins, one of the major reasons the Habs won the series was that their fourth line could actually play hockey a little bit.

Trading Chara would be bold, but it would be an admission of what is going to be an endemic problem for them in the future: they're their usual big, slow selves, and they will be playing Montreal, Tampa, Toronto and Detroit (maybe) in future years. All teams that can skate and move the puck. I don't think I'd have the stones to do it, especially after a series without Seidenberg, but it would be a pretty radical admission of what a lot of Bruins fans I know think will be an ongoing problem. What happens to Julien will matter too, I've heard rumblings he might get the sack after this, and he rides Chara hard during the regular season. A new coach who sits him two or three times a year, and plays him a bit less might get a fresher big man in the playoffs. I mean, what the Christ is Chara doing playing 27 minutes in a game in April vs. the Leafs?
   631. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: May 17, 2014 at 08:25 AM (#4708645)
If I had Chara (or any other old/injury-plagued star) on my team I would encourage him to milk a minor injury and sit out about 15 games sometime in February through April. I'd rather have a 3 seed and a healthy Chara than a 1 seed and a worn out Chara.
   632. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: May 17, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4708787)
By the way, my conference finals (4-8 so far!) picks are:

Rangers over Canadiens in 5
Blackhawks over Kings in 6
   633. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 17, 2014 at 03:54 PM (#4708820)
What happens to Julien will matter too, I've heard rumblings he might get the sack after this

I haven't heard boo about that happening. If it does it would be spectacularly stupid. If Claude wants to walk away that's one thing but firing him would be an awful move. Chara wasn't at his best but he was still pretty good AND far from the biggest problem. There were about a handful of guys; Bergeron, Soderberg, Erikson...maybe Krug, that I feel like played well consistently in the playoffs. You can argue that more rest would have helped but on a team that regularly had three defenseman with less than a year's worth of experience on a nightly basis playing Chara regularly made a lot of sense.
   634. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 18, 2014 at 03:12 PM (#4709161)
Let's go Hawks. Been waiting what seems like forever for this to start.
   635. Shredder Posted: May 18, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4709178)
Wow, I didn't realize Bollig was such a vagina.
   636. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 18, 2014 at 04:05 PM (#4709179)
What getting pushed in different directons and falling makes him that? Perhaps the kings shouldnt start crap when he didnt even make contact with quick.
   637. Shredder Posted: May 18, 2014 at 04:18 PM (#4709186)
No, diving makes him that. Everyone who saw the call said it was awful. He sprays Quick, then dives like a little #####. That makes him a vagina in my book.
   638. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 18, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4709191)
Horseshit call thats a goal.
   639. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 18, 2014 at 04:50 PM (#4709204)
Thats a lot of power on keiths shot. To be deflected by a stick into the ice and still make it into the net is just crazy. Not a damn thing quick or any goalie could do about it.
   640. Eddo Posted: May 18, 2014 at 05:22 PM (#4709218)
No, diving makes him that. Everyone who saw the call said it was awful. He sprays Quick, then dives like a little #####. That makes him a vagina in my book.

I thought it was 100% dive at first, after seeing replays, I'd bring that down to 50%. I don't see the "spray" you're talking about, though; if the Kings take offense to Bollig getting a little too close to Quick, this will be a short series.

------

And I also can't believe they disallowed the second Hawks goal.

------

And the Toffoli goal was a beauty.
   641. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 18, 2014 at 05:33 PM (#4709222)
How does the ref blow it dead with the puck right in front of him
   642. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 18, 2014 at 05:52 PM (#4709232)
Also how is it the last 2 champs get stuck with the b team of announcers for the second straight year.
   643. zack Posted: May 18, 2014 at 08:44 PM (#4709286)

So you didn't even see it? He didn't spray Quick, at least not to the mask because he was stopping a good 5 feet out, he went to the side of Quick and he didn't take even a single whack at his pads. He didn't try and stay up when he got pushed from a guy he wasn't even looking at, but I don't know what Martinez was thinking shoving him so long after the whistle. I wish they would make calls like that more often after the whistle.

I'm glad the disallowed goal was disallowed. It was clear on review that Quick would have saved it if Toews' body hadn't forced him to the left and opened a gap for the puck to slip in. I don't know if it was the 'correct' call based on the rules about replay, but it was the correct call based on the intent of the rules.
   644. Eddo Posted: May 18, 2014 at 11:05 PM (#4709309)
I don't know if it was the 'correct' call based on the rules about replay, but it was the correct call based on the intent of the rules.

It now sounds like it probably was, given that the officials on-ice ruled it no goal.

Still a weird play, but the right outcome.
   645. Shredder Posted: May 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM (#4709314)
So you didn't even see it?
Yeah, I saw it. So did Keith Jones and Mike Milbury. So did the TSN crew. They all thought it was a horseshit call, which it clearly was. Even Bollig, who was laughing all the way to the bench knew it was a horseshit call. It was pretty damn near unanimous.
   646. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 18, 2014 at 11:24 PM (#4709317)

It takes a lot to make anyone want to defend Bollig. Should have been a penalty even if Bickell didn't fall. But the refs probably agreed with you, since they let that extra post save stuff go the rest of the game, including form tackles (like Mitchell on Bickell). I won't argue too much, just waiting for the eventual "Anybody but the Blackhawks" post...

It now sounds like it probably was, given that the officials on-ice ruled it no goal.

Well, they say they called that on the ice. They never signaled or announced that they called it. Even the official statement from the NHL doesn't make a lick of sense. I agree though that they eventually got it right, even if they were way wrong on how (but I can only say that since the Hawks won and it turned out not mattering).
   647. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 19, 2014 at 01:27 AM (#4709344)
from watching the game it seemed like they called it a good goal on the ice.
   648. zack Posted: May 19, 2014 at 08:17 AM (#4709372)
So did Keith Jones and Mike Milbury

Well, if Mike and Keith said so...
   649. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM (#4709438)

They did. Then they claimed they reversed that before they went to the review, even though they didn't signal or announce that change. Which is why that statement is so confusing.
   650. ursus arctos Posted: May 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM (#4709455)
Therrien just announced that Price is out for the series.

Industrial quantities of Xanax should be added to the Quebec water supply.

I'd also suggest that Kreider may want to stay out of La Belle Province for a decade or so.

Terrible blow for the Habs.
   651. zack Posted: May 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM (#4709487)
That leaves Peter Budaj as their starter? Or 24-year-old Dustin Tokarski, with 10 career NHL games and a ok minor league record. Woof. I'd probably go with Tokarski.

I think the Rangers were significantly better before the series started, had them winning in 6 because Price is capable of stealing a few. That's a serious blow.

The Blues re-signed Elliot for 3 years ($2.5 hit), so presumably they're going with Jake Allen or a time-share next season.
   652. Yardape Posted: May 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM (#4709495)
Terrible blow for the Habs.

It is, although in a short series of course someone like Budaj could get hot enough to win.

Sucks for the Bruins, too.
   653. Pooty Lederhosen Posted: May 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM (#4709498)
Sucks for the Bruins, too.

No, that was everything but the third line!
   654. Shredder Posted: May 19, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4709658)
The other officials can consult with the ref, so after their consultation, the official call was contact, so no goal. The point to the net just means "the puck is in the net". It does not necessarily mean it's a good goal. The explanation made sense to me. If Toews scored before the contact, then it's a good goal. So the ref is calling incidental contact depending on when the puck crossed the line. In that case, they aren't going to Toronto to check to see if there was contact, which is not reviewable, but to see when the puck crossed the line, which as far as I know is reviewable. Granted, I've never seen this situation come up before. The NHL statement is poorly worded, but it makes sense if you add in the part about the review being done to determine when the puck went in the net. Change the statement thusly and it makes sense:
The referee’s original call on the ice was ‘good goal’ but a discussion between the on-ice officials resulted in a ‘no goal’ decision because Toews made incidental contact with Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick, as determined by the officials on the ice, before the puck crossed the goal line. The point at which the puck crossed the goal line was determined by video review. The incidental contact is not a reviewable play therefore the decision on the ice stands – no goal and no penalty.
   655. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 19, 2014 at 05:24 PM (#4709750)
That leaves Peter Budaj as their starter? Or 24-year-old Dustin Tokarski, with 10 career NHL games and a ok minor league record. Woof. I'd probably go with Tokarski.

They're going with Tokarski.
   656. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 20, 2014 at 01:55 AM (#4709962)
So the habs are done?
   657. Flynn Posted: May 20, 2014 at 06:06 AM (#4709970)
I wouldn't say done but it's critical. What a bummer. After they beat Boston I thought this might be the team, but losing Price is almost a death blow.
   658. ursus arctos Posted: May 20, 2014 at 08:34 AM (#4709993)
Lundquist was unreal last night. I'm not sure the Habs would have won with prime Dryden or Roy in net. Tokarski did well under the circumstances.
   659. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: May 20, 2014 at 08:56 AM (#4710004)
Well, the Canadiens were likely doomed anyway, so Price's injury provides a convenient excuse for it.
   660. zack Posted: May 20, 2014 at 09:47 AM (#4710032)
I'm with Zeth. I would have bet heavily against the Canadiens with Price when they were tied 0-0. Without Price, and two games down, they're done. Which is a shame because I really wanted revenge for '71 (and '73).
   661. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM (#4710140)
Stupid extra off day today. I'm not sure why the Hawks/King series has the extra day off without travel, but I'm sure the Kings appreciate it (so does Andrew Shaw, who is practicing and getting closer to playing again*).

*And I'm preemtively mad at the Hawks for sitting Regin instead of either Handzus or Bollig for Shaw's return.
   662. Yardape Posted: May 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM (#4710144)
Lundquist was unreal last night. I'm not sure the Habs would have won with prime Dryden or Roy in net. Tokarski did well under the circumstances.

Agreed. Tokarski wasn't a problem. Being unable to get anything past Lundqvuist except for one flukey bounce was the problem.
   663. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 20, 2014 at 12:46 PM (#4710176)
Why Tokarski over Budaj? Not trying to monday morning quarterback but it surprised me. Budaj has had a couple of really terrific games against the Bruins so my perception of him is probably warped.
   664. ursus arctos Posted: May 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM (#4710179)
Budaj has a lousy playoff record (something like a .875 save percentage), though in a small sample size, and was just as rusty as Tokarski (neither of them had played since April 9/10). I tend to think that Therrien thought that the team might rally around the kid, as opposed to being depressed when they were led out by the mediocre backup.
   665. zack Posted: May 20, 2014 at 01:03 PM (#4710187)
Budaj is essentially the replacement level goalie (.910 SV% of the last 3), so you'd expect your AHL #1 to be around the same level of performance. Go with the kid and hope it causes the team to play better in front of him. Or go with the veteran if you think he'll get jitters.
   666. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: May 20, 2014 at 01:04 PM (#4710189)
Lundqvist is going to have to keep it up if the Rangers don't want to get swept by the Blackhawks.
   667. Cabbage Posted: May 20, 2014 at 05:11 PM (#4710341)
I expect this Hawks/Kings series to be tough, decided by slim margins. But whoever advances *shouldn't* have too much of a problem.

This year's playoffs remind me of the early 00's NBA, where the Lakers/Kings/Spurs/Mavs dueled for the right to kick the crap out of whomever won the East.
   668. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: May 20, 2014 at 06:50 PM (#4710375)
I expect this Hawks/Kings series to be tough, decided by slim margins.

The Hawks have skated circles around the Kings for three years, I don't know why this series would be any different. I'll be a little surprised if the Kings take a game off them.
   669. Yardape Posted: May 20, 2014 at 07:04 PM (#4710382)
Go with the kid and hope it causes the team to play better in front of him.

Or hope the kid turns out to be good, as opposed to the known mediocrity of Budaj. It's not like the Canadiens have never had success with an untested rookie in the playoffs, after all.
   670. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 21, 2014 at 02:02 PM (#4710820)
Shaw will be out again tonight possible return on saturday. Also sharp on the 3rd line? Really q?
   671. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 21, 2014 at 02:58 PM (#4710880)
Also sharp on the 3rd line? Really q?

With how he's playing right now, it makes a lot of sense. He played half the last game there. Maybe getting away from Handzus will help him (that is true of everyone). Of all the things to second guess Q on, this is way, way down the list (#1-50 are all why he insists on Handzus centering Kane, then a bunch of questions about Bollig). A line of Kane/Zus/Saad and Versteeg/Regin/Sharp both make a little more sense than switching Saad and Sharp. It's still less than ideal with their roster, but...

The Hawks have skated circles around the Kings for three years, I don't know why this series would be any different. I'll be a little surprised if the Kings take a game off them.

This is one of those situations where the end results don't really reflect what's happening; I realize that's easier to say as a fan of the team that's winning. Even with the Hawks winning 10 of 12, those were almost all really close games and it doesn't feel like the Hawks are clearly better.
   672. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 21, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4711118)
Looking at the lines now I dont mi d having sharp on the third since he is paired with regin.
   673. zack Posted: May 21, 2014 at 08:44 PM (#4711189)
Whoa-oh Nick Leddy.
   674. zack Posted: May 21, 2014 at 08:50 PM (#4711193)
This is an incredible number of penalties, but I can't quibble with any of them.
   675. zonk Posted: May 21, 2014 at 09:43 PM (#4711205)
I've given up on questioning Q's lines...

I'm much better at correcting Riggleman/Dusty/Lou/Quade/Sveum/Renteria lineups.

I guess it helps when you go as deep as the Hawks do.
   676. simon bedford Posted: May 21, 2014 at 09:47 PM (#4711210)
and the kings make it look easy, that could be a quick turning point
   677. simon bedford Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM (#4711221)
and theres the next,,,so momentum swings,,,for now
   678. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:17 PM (#4711224)
Only listening to the radio broadcast but it sounds like Bollig took a stupid penalty which led to a goal.

Not sure if he'll surpass Carcillo and Barnaby as my least-favorite Hawk but he's climbing the charts.

EDIT: Forgot Martin LaPointe. Not big on him either.
   679. simon bedford Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM (#4711227)
and another really dumb penalty and now the kings lead
   680. Shredder Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:25 PM (#4711229)
That was unexpected.
   681. Shredder Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM (#4711232)
I kinda wish that had hit the netting based on how the Kings got raped by the refs against the Red Wings when that happened earlier this year.
   682. simon bedford Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM (#4711236)
i expected it, williams has been a catalyst in the past
   683. simon bedford Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM (#4711238)
wow,,,just wow
   684. Shredder Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4711239)
Guess we have a series. Nice of the Kings to show up against the Hawks for once.
   685. SteveF Posted: May 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM (#4711243)
That was an asskicking.
   686. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 22, 2014 at 12:52 AM (#4711301)
Well im glad i was at work for the game tonight
   687. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: May 22, 2014 at 02:35 AM (#4711311)
Watched on DVR, I probably would have turned the game off after two periods if Williams doesn't kick that first one in. It looked like every other Hawks-Kings game up to that point, men against boys. The third is hard to explain, a few dicey penalty calls, some bad pinches... At least we won't get swept.
   688. zonk Posted: May 22, 2014 at 08:19 AM (#4711327)
So that was quite an amusing little joke by the Hawks -- letting the Cubs wear their sweaters and skate the 3rd... Not to take anything away from the Kings in the last period, but that was just an awful, awful effort.
   689. HMS Moses Taylor Posted: May 22, 2014 at 09:59 AM (#4711375)
That was an asskicking.

Yes and no. Hawks really should have scored more than 1 in the first, and still pretty clearly carried play most of the 2nd. That first goal was fortunate for the Kings (but so was the Hawks' 2nd*), and if you really want to point to a specific turning point it was Quick's save on Seabrook on the 2 on 1. If they score there, it's 3-0 and I'm not sure the Kings come back there.

Hawks 2 worst players both get some blame for the first 2 goals. The first one wasn't all Handzus's fault, but he was all up in the crease and in Crawford's way; he essentially committed goalie interference as the puck just trickled in. The second goal was off a dumb, dumb penalty by Bollig (though a weak one, that they didn't even had a good replay of), yet he didn't miss a shift. The third goal on the too many men penalty was a bullshit call, but perhaps you could argue it evens out for the missed one on the Hawks' 2nd goal.

Having said all that, last night doesn't change anything in my opinion. It was going to be a tough series no matter what anyone said, and I think it could easily go either way still.

*Both cause it was offsides or too many men with Handzus being too slow (shockingly) to get off the ice. Also, cause that should have been a straightforward save for Quick.
   690. Shredder Posted: May 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM (#4711406)
*Both cause it was offsides or too many men with Handzus being too slow (shockingly) to get off the ice. Also, cause that should have been a straightforward save for Quick.
Someone on a Kings board mentioned the off-sides. I rewound it and didn't see it, but maybe I was looking at the wrong thing. On the too many men, I think they get away with it if Regin isn't the first guy to play it right directly after hitting the ice. It was still borderline, and you don't usually see it called, but I think that caught the linesman's attention.
   691. Langer Monk Posted: May 22, 2014 at 08:50 PM (#4711839)
I cannot believe the Bruins lost to this team.
   692. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: May 22, 2014 at 09:52 PM (#4711867)
I cannot believe the Bruins lost to this team.

Beating the Bruins took everything they had. Or at least I'm pretty sure it takes a LOT more to outlast Boston over seven games than Pittsburgh.
   693. Langer Monk Posted: May 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM (#4711883)
I suppose so. Maybe it's a function of me rooting for global catastrophe before seeing the Rangers in the Finals.
   694. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: May 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM (#4711889)
The Western conference champion will crush them, if it's any consolation.
   695. Langer Monk Posted: May 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM (#4711891)
What the hell is Emelin doing in the crease like that?
   696. ursus arctos Posted: May 22, 2014 at 11:55 PM (#4711905)
None of the last three goals went in off a stick.
   697. ursus arctos Posted: May 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM (#4712112)
Stepan has a broken jaw (currently undergoing surgery) and Carcillo has been suspended for ten games.
   698. Yardape Posted: May 23, 2014 at 01:29 PM (#4712137)
Carcillo has been suspended for ten games

Well now the Canadiens have it in the bag!
   699. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 24, 2014 at 08:30 PM (#4712933)
How did they bot call the hold before handzus went down the dude was being dragged by him.
   700. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: May 24, 2014 at 08:32 PM (#4712935)
Hell yeah great play by towes.
Page 7 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.