Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

OT: The Soccer Thread: August 2012

Welcome to August! Notable Events:

Olympic Women’s Gold Medal Game: August 9
Olympic Men’s Gold Medal Game: August 11

(Both will be aired by NBC on or about August 15)

EPL Kick-Off: August 18
La Liga Kick-Off: August 19
Seria A Kick-Off: August 25

Let the excitement begin!

RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM | 1942 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 20 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM (#4196938)
This thread has never been early before. Is this in honor of Spurs Day?
   2. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM (#4196944)
This thread has never been early before. Is this in honor of Spurs Day?
It was Spurs Day that put the idea of doing it in my head, but usually it takes a day or two to get approved, so I'm dumbfounded.

I'm also a little upset that now everyone will miss my Moruinho/Brian Clough joke from the end of the last thread.
   3. Textbook Editor Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:34 AM (#4196975)
Is the Spurs game on ESPN3 tonight? Or FSC?
   4. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM (#4196980)
Is the Spurs game on ESPN3 tonight? Or FSC?

Looks like it's on ESPN so it should be on ESPN3.
   5. Swedish Chef Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM (#4196984)
I'm also a little upset that now everyone will miss my Moruinho/Brian Clough joke from the end of the last thread.

Can it be a joke when that scenario is exactly what will happen?
   6. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM (#4196997)
Can it be a joke when that scenario is exactly what will happen?
That's a good point.
   7. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM (#4197102)
So apparently if West Ham signed Carroll, they were planning to make a move for Berbatov as well. It's not clear to me exactly why these related--or where the money is coming from, unless The David's plan to sell a lot of edible underwear during the Olympics--but I guess you admire them thinking big.

It appears that Carroll wants no part of East London, though, so it may be all for naught.
   8. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4197283)
Stephanie Houghton puts the Brits ahead within the first five against Brazil. Fast paced match, lots of nice passing, several chances early, Marta and Cristiane are getting involved in the game for the Brazillians, and a pretty electric atmosphere at Wembley (as well as a bit of a milestone, as it's the first time ever the women's national team are playing at Wembley). Worth a watch.
   9. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: July 31, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4197297)
EPL Kick-Off: August 18
La Liga Kick-Off: August 19
Seria A Kick-Off: August 25

Any meaningful TV changes (for US viewers) this year? Is it still FSC/ESPN for the EPL and FSC for Serie A?
   10. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: July 31, 2012 at 03:08 PM (#4197305)
Al Jazeera is going to be a player in the US market, although I think the medium (online package? singular cable channel?) is still up in the air.
   11. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 03:10 PM (#4197310)
[9] ESPN3 carried a ton of Serie A games last year, not sure if that will be the same this year.

Does anyone know if Al Jazeera is going to have any online presence with La Liga?

Also, is ESPN3 the only [english] outlet for Bundesliga [online]?
   12. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: July 31, 2012 at 07:17 PM (#4197571)
MLS Kick-Off: Who cares?
   13. PepTech Posted: July 31, 2012 at 08:33 PM (#4197636)
MLS Kick-Off: Who cares?

Hey now.

US Open Cup final: August 8th!
CONCACAF CL Group Stage: Underway!
   14. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: July 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM (#4197758)
A good time had by all at the game tonight. I didn't throw any leeks at Bale, although I did yell to remind Dawson to play the high line. The best moment was Mattbert shouting at Assou-Ekotto just as he was about to receive--totally unaware--a pass.
   15. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:41 AM (#4197802)
The best moment was Mattbert shouting at Assou-Ekotto just as he was about to receive--totally unaware--a pass.

I have this image of him yelling 'Incoming!', and then everyone diving for safety.
   16. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 01, 2012 at 07:59 AM (#4197840)
I have this image of him yelling 'Incoming!', and then everyone diving for safety.
It was actually "BENNY!" which roused him from his slumber.

Upon further reflection, an even better moment might have been the guys behind us, one of whom at one point turned to the other ones and goes "My friend just texted, he wants to know Bale and Van der Vaart are on the pitch?" with obvious verbal quotes around "Bale," "Van der Vaart" and "on the pitch."
   17. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:26 AM (#4197887)
There were a lot more Spurs fans this time than when I went to see Spurs play Red Bulls 2 years ago. I'm not sure if that means Spurs are growing a fan base here specifically or a rising tide of interest in the EPL is raising all boats.

Mattbert really did seem to wake Benny up as the ball was played to him. The best part for me is the Red Bulls stuck to the lie that this was a cup game to the point of handing out medals even to the Red Bulls players for coming in second place--second place in a two team cup! They even gave Bale a man of the match trophy which I imagine is already collecting dust in some stripper's closet this morning. Anyway, Sigurdsson looked good as did Tom Carroll and Bale when he went back to the wing after playing as a CF in the first half. Tom Huddlestone while looking good with his impressive 'fro, was very rusty with the ball at his feet. He had trouble even with the simple passes. Spurs will need him to get fit and soon. Spurs are getting better at the high line business, too. Much better than they looked against the Galaxy.

Lots of good soccer on the tube today. The last group games in the Olympics then some interesting CL games including Molde against Copenhagen. I might check that one out to see how Josh Gatt is doing. Then the CONCACAF CL games tonight.
   18. Mattbert Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:35 AM (#4197897)
Upon further reflection, an even better moment might have been the guys behind us, one of whom at one point turned to the other ones and goes "My friend just texted, he wants to know are Bale and Van der Vaart on the pitch?" with obvious verbal quotes around "Bale," "Van der Vaart" and "on the pitch."

Those guys really, really wanted to see Brad Friedel.
   19. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:48 AM (#4197909)
Those guys really, really wanted to see Brad Friedel.

I think he may have been the one guy they could relate to.
   20. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:02 AM (#4197917)
The other highlight of the night was after taking the Path back to the city, we got off at World Trade Center with about 50% of the Spurs support. Walking out of the station, the crowd got some legit chants of "Yid Army" and "When the Spurs go marching in" going. I wonder if some guys who just got off work late in Jersey City thought they were going to be murdered by cultists on those escalators.

Also props to the Red Bulls stadium announcer for, "the starting lineup for the Tottenham Hotspurs!"

The seats Shooty procured were much too good for me to be able to tell what was happening at the other end of the pitch - it all became a muddle of depth perception - but I thought Sigurdsson was the best player out there, and Spurs seemed to get more comfortable with the high line (high line!) as the game continued. I also observed, based on my extensive understanding of football tactics, that Tom Huddlestone is a very large person.
   21. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:08 AM (#4197922)
In retrospect, we should have worked harder to get that HIGH LINE chant working.
   22. The Voice of America Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:52 AM (#4197957)
Incredible miss by Neymar.
   23. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:03 AM (#4197968)
Did you make it clear to your friend that "Van der Vaart" is pronounced "Funder Fart", at least when Rafael Honigstein says it?
   24. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:35 AM (#4198012)
Did you make it clear to your friend that "Van der Vaart" is pronounced "Funder Fart", at least when Rafael Honigstein says it?

I think Van der Vaart moved to England specifically to avoid having his name pronounced properly. No, this isn't a fact I just totally made up.

Anyone have any news about Malaga? Did the pay the fees they were supposed to pay to keep from getting kicked out of the CL? There is very little English language news about waht seems like a big story to me.

Also, today's the day Al Jazeera's US sports arm--BeIn Sports--is supposed to launch but I haven't seen crap about it. Anyone hear anything? I'm going to be very disappointed if I have to watch Torino on crappy illegal streams again now that they're back in the big time.
   25. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:42 AM (#4198026)
Strong rumors flying about Van Persie and Juventus. They seemed made for each other, really.

edit: After a little digging, it would appear these rumors are BS.
   26. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4198066)
Mexico just got away with what looked like a penalty and a red card--since it would have been a last-man foul--to me. That Mexican defender didn't play the ball at all. Tough break for the Swiss.
   27. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 01, 2012 at 12:20 PM (#4198069)
Supposedly Cazorla is in London for a medical.

They even gave Bale a man of the match trophy which I imagine is already collecting dust in some stripper's closet this morning.

I hope Bale has some better standards - the gentleman's clubs in northern NJ/NYC are horrible.
   28. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 12:21 PM (#4198071)
I hope Bale has some better standards - the gentleman's clubs in northern NJ/NYC are horrible.

Any port in a storm...
   29. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 01, 2012 at 01:06 PM (#4198114)
Has anyone here tried a Brazilian football channel called, "PFC"? DirecTV has it listed as part of their Brazil package, but also a la cart for $19.99 per month. I doubt it could be worth that, except maybe a couple of months a year when things are slow in Europe.
   30. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:30 PM (#4198213)
Has anyone here tried a Brazilian football channel called, "PFC"? DirecTV has it listed as part of their Brazil package, but also a la cart for $19.99 per month. I doubt it could be worth that, except maybe a couple of months a year when things are slow in Europe.

Sorry, I know nothing about it other than everything about it sounds great except the price. Is it in English?
   31. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4198220)
Andy Carroll conveniently won't play tomorrow which keeps him from being cup-tied should a transfer to a club in Europa come up.
   32. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:47 PM (#4198233)
Sorry, I know nothing about it other than everything about it sounds great except the price. Is it in English?

No, it's among their foreign language offerings. DirecTV adverstises, "A soccer channel specially made for futbol fanatics. Over 300 live matches throughout the year, as well as previously recorded matches from seven major competitions Brazil broadcasted in its entirety."
   33. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 01, 2012 at 04:01 PM (#4198303)
Does Olympic success change the mindset regarding the two-striker philosophy in the UK? I know its not England but Pearce is the U-21 coach. Team UK looks much better in possession than England in the Euros.
   34. Mattbert Posted: August 02, 2012 at 12:05 AM (#4198611)
The other highlight of the night was after taking the Path back to the city, we got off at World Trade Center with about 50% of the Spurs support. Walking out of the station, the crowd got some legit chants of "Yid Army" and "When the Spurs go marching in" going. I wonder if some guys who just got off work late in Jersey City thought they were going to be murdered by cultists on those escalators.

"Yid AR-MAY!" is the one that usually jolts people, in my experience. It comes out of nowhere, and it's loud right away. WTSGMI builds up gradually. I think RB got some video of the latter as we were going up the escalators. I didn't think quickly enough, so I just got a couple stills with my phone.

In retrospect, we should have worked harder to get that HIGH LINE chant working.

As far as I can tell, it's quite difficult to get a new chant or song to catch on if it isn't one of the existing handful of stock chants and songs, but with different words. We stand on the shoulders of giants, you know?

Oh when the Spurrrrrrs
Play a high liiiiiine...
   35. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 02, 2012 at 05:54 AM (#4198661)
"Yid AR-MAY!" is the one that usually jolts people, in my experience. It comes out of nowhere, and it's loud right away. WTSGMI builds up gradually. I think RB got some video of the latter as we were going up the escalators. I didn't think quickly enough, so I just got a couple stills with my phone
I do have some video, it is fairly entertaining. Sadly, I don't appeared to have captured any confused (bordering on terrified) commuters.
   36. Swedish Chef Posted: August 02, 2012 at 07:43 AM (#4198671)
Suarez is unhappy with being booed; I'm happy with Suarez being unhappy.
   37. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 08:16 AM (#4198680)
I wonder if Suarez will stay at Liverpool and feed of the energy of being England's favorite villain, or if it's really bothering him and he agitates for a move abroad.

Tottenham keeper options, according to the intertubes:

1. Stick with what they have, worry about it again next year when Friedel retires
2. Stick with what they have, sign Butland for the future
3. Sign Julio Cesar on a virtual free
4. Sign Stekelenberg
5. Make the big money move for Lloris

I actually have no idea which of those is the right move.
   38. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 08:40 AM (#4198688)
Also, it's still difficult to find out any news about Malaga. There's seems to be mass confusion there. From the fragments I've been able to find, it seems the club may or may not be for sale and the owners may or may not be as wealthy as they say. The one English language article I read asserted the owners had plenty of cash but seemed to be making a game out of not paying anyone what they owe including the players, which just seems bizarre. Villareal still haven't been paid for Santi Cazorla who is about to be sold to Arsenal.
   39. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 02, 2012 at 09:16 AM (#4198716)
The one English language article I read asserted the owners had plenty of cash but seemed to be making a game out of not paying anyone what they owe including the players, which just seems bizarre.
Sheikh Abdullah: Your football club was brought to my attention, but I can't figure out what, if anything, Malaga CF does, so rather than risk competing with you, I've decided simply to buy you out.
Malaga: I reluctantly accept your proposal!
Sheikh Abdullah: Well everyone always does. Buy 'em out, boys!
[Abdullah's lackeys trash the room.]
Malaga: Hey, what the hell's going on!
Sheikh Abdullah: Oh, I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks! [insane laughter]
   40. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 09:26 AM (#4198726)
So Spain ended up going winless and goalless in the Olympic tournament. Would not have predicted that.
   41. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 02, 2012 at 09:29 AM (#4198730)
Incidentally, seems to be a lot of chatter that Spurs are signing Cesar. Our friends at the game will be crushed to know Friedel is being relegated to back-up.
   42. Mattbert Posted: August 02, 2012 at 09:32 AM (#4198732)
I actually have no idea which of those is the right move.

I don't know, either. However, #3 and #5 seem like the obvious wrong moves.
   43. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 09:33 AM (#4198734)
Incidentally, seems to be a lot of chatter that Spurs are signing Cesar. Our friends at the game will be crushed to know Friedel is being relegated to back-up.

I don't know how seriously to take those Cesar rumors. I can't tell if Spurs are using him to force Lyon's hand for Lloris, if Cesar's agent is just drumming up interest, or if Spurs are actually serious about him. Cesar's form has been on the wane so I'm not sure how much of an improvement he is on Friedel or Gomes at this point.

edit: I can envision a scenario in which Roma sign Cesar and sell Stekelenburg to Spurs, though.
   44. zack Posted: August 02, 2012 at 10:21 AM (#4198774)
I was watching the local (DC) news last night, because I was building a bike and my hands were too greasy to change the channel, and one of the (non-sports) anchors lost his #### when they showed a replay of Damião rainbowing the ball past a defender. It was a nice move, but jeez.
   45. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 10:26 AM (#4198778)
I was watching the local (DC) news last night, because I was building a bike and my hands were too greasy to change the channel, and one of the (non-sports) anchors lost his #### when they showed a replay of Damião rainbowing the ball past a defender. It was a nice move, but jeez.

That's his signature move. I saw him do that much more effectively than he did yesterday while watching a Libertadores game and, to be fair to the D.C. anchor, I kind of lost my ####, too. It's a hell of a move.
   46. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: August 02, 2012 at 10:49 AM (#4198806)
I'm not sure if ya'll did this last year, but would you guys be up for a fantasy league this season? Doesn't have to be for money or anything like that, just bragging rights. I'd be happy to set one up through Yahoo or something like, but I'd need help on which stats to use, etc. Because I've never run a fantasy soccer league.

This is assuming fantasy soccer leagues exist.
   47. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 02, 2012 at 10:55 AM (#4198819)
This is assuming fantasy soccer leagues exist.
Since you can bet on them, they exist. In any case, I'm in, although there's basically no chance I finish in the top 75% of us. Sadly, my talents are more towards picking the Twatball teams.
   48. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 11:17 AM (#4198849)
I'd do a soccer fantasy league this year. I also know nothing about the ins and outs of it.
   49. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 11:23 AM (#4198852)
And yet another new Tottenham fan

By any means necessary...
   50. Mattbert Posted: August 02, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4198950)
Good news out of Aston Villa: Stilyan Petrov's leukemia is in remission.
   51. Padgett Posted: August 02, 2012 at 02:11 PM (#4199026)
Does something like Twatball exist for a whole league season? I found that surprisingly entertaining during the Euros. Everyone I told about it loved the idea.
   52. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 02, 2012 at 02:32 PM (#4199043)
Does something like Twatball exist for a whole league season? I found that surprisingly entertaining during the Euros. Everyone I told about it loved the idea.

I wish! I couldn't find anything to indicate it does, though.

Considering the circumstances, it's not surprising Gomel have looked the better side against Liverpool so far.
   53. ursus arctos Posted: August 02, 2012 at 06:28 PM (#4199226)
I'm afraid that it's too much work to run twatball for a full season (or so my pals tell me).

It will be back for the next World Cup, though.

Fantasy Football is massive and ridiculously competitive at the top level. Serious players re-make their teams every week to maximize their match up advantages.
   54. JH (in DC) Posted: August 02, 2012 at 09:10 PM (#4199332)
I'm not sure if ya'll did this last year, but would you guys be up for a fantasy league this season? Doesn't have to be for money or anything like that, just bragging rights. I'd be happy to set one up through Yahoo or something like, but I'd need help on which stats to use, etc. Because I've never run a fantasy soccer league.

I set up a league last year for us at the official Premier League game. I've done so again. If you were in the League last year, I believe you will get a renewal email.

The link is http://www.fantasy.premierleague.com and the League code is: 556627-143171
   55. Gaelan Posted: August 02, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4199438)
I think I won the fantasy league last year. It was quite fun in the fall. I lost some interest as hockey geared up but I will be back again go defend my title.
   56. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 07:34 AM (#4199511)
So not the next Man City, then.

Malaga are going the Blackburn route at the speed of light!

edit: And Spurs are heavily linked with Rondon. Is that a good thing?
   57. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 07:52 AM (#4199515)
Which one of you guys wrote this?

Seriously. This is EXACTLY how we re-capped going to the Red Bulls - Spurs game in this thread. Mattbert is the one who screamed BENNY! I'm pretty sure RB is illiterate since he's a Hammer, despite clear evidence to the contrary, so it had to be Mattbert or Matt Clement. Fess up, boys. Fess up.
   58. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 03, 2012 at 07:54 AM (#4199516)
And Spurs are heavily linked with Rondon. Is that a good thing?
Where's Juan?

My knowledge of the Venezuelan team and second-tier La Liga clubs extends to having a vague idea that Rondon existed. But even though there don't appear to be many Rondon rumors in reputable publications, I tend to take it more seriously whenever Spurs are linked to a striker because, I mean, come on, they must be.
   59. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 03, 2012 at 08:05 AM (#4199519)
If only there were some distinguishing, individualizing remarks made in that article which could help us know if it was me or Mattbert. Sadly, it must all remain a mystery.
   60. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 08:08 AM (#4199520)
Aquilani is having his medical at Fiorentina--a straight sale and not a loan. I wonder if this means Liverpool are going to pony up for Joe Allen?
   61. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 08:09 AM (#4199522)
If only there were some distinguishing, individualizing remarks made in that article which could help us know if it was me or Mattbert. Sadly, it must all remain a mystery.

Ha! It's definitely written from a Mattbert-ish perspective but I wanted to give you credit for an artistic sensibility.
   62. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 03, 2012 at 08:15 AM (#4199528)
I was just happy he used a few of my jokes.
   63. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 08:21 AM (#4199534)
I was just happy he used a few of my jokes.

I got one in there. Shooty! Shooty! Shooty!
   64. Mattbert Posted: August 03, 2012 at 08:22 AM (#4199535)
Damn you New Yawkas and your early rising ways. I was gonna link that here when I got to work.

Hopefully I gave anonymous credit where I used your witticisms. I wanted to attribute things directly, but I figured that would get awkward with all the handles and junk.
   65. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 08:33 AM (#4199544)
Hopefully I gave anonymous credit where I used your witticisms. I wanted to attribute things directly, but I figured that would get awkward with all the handles and junk.

I'm flattered you Dane Cooked me! The article came up on my news aggregator. It was funny because I read it thinking it would be interesting to get another take on the festivities and it became more and more familiar...
   66. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 10:05 AM (#4199610)
I got my line about AVB being treated better than he was at Chelsea, so I'm happy. Good stuff, Mattbert.

EDIT: When Shooty asked which of us wrote it, I thought he was being facetious until I actually started to read the thing.
   67. Mattbert Posted: August 03, 2012 at 10:15 AM (#4199617)
I'm flattered you Dane Cooked me! The article came up on my news aggregator. It was funny because I read it thinking it would be interesting to get another take on the festivities and it became more and more familiar...

Dane Cook wouldn't have put the funny stuff in quotes. I am a decent man!

I did think about going down the Bill Simmons route and having my buddies "Shooty", "Rib", and "Clement" provide all the amusing commentary. But then I would have felt honor bound to sprinkle in loads of forced pop culture asides and references to Beverly Hills 90210 that nobody would understand.

On a less meta note, my brother sent me this tidbit (courtesy of Opta) this morning:
43 - Arsenal managed more headers on target than any other Premier League team in 2011-12. Unexpected.
   68. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 10:23 AM (#4199629)
By the way, I am too excited about the possibility of a Nolan/Carroll strike force. Clearly you forget I cut my teeth on a West Ham team whose main scoring options were Marlon Harewood and 225-year old Teddy Sheringham.
   69. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 10:26 AM (#4199634)
The US women have been really sloppy so far, but luckily for them they are too good for New Zealand. Still, a frustrating performance from them so far.
   70. Mattbert Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:17 AM (#4199699)
Jonathan Wilson indulges in a bit of "get off my lawn" about Olympic footie:
None of the teams who have made it through have been overwhelmingly impressive either. When he took over as Brazil national manager, Mano Menezes promised, as all Brazilian coaches must, that he would restore the sparkle to the national team, that he would play in the spirit of the great attacking sides of 1982 and 1970. It's an unrealistic proposition - the game has moved on and systematised football, defending from the front as one unit, has rendered that style of football a quaint archaism - but there has, at last, been signs of the verve he, and Brazil, would like about their attacking play. Hulk offers power and skill cutting in from the right. Neymar, strutting peacock that he may be, is using his immense abilities increasingly effectively from the left. Both Leandro Damiao and Pato have looked impressive in that lone central striking role, often playing with their backs to goal. And tying it all together has been the majestic creative intelligence of Oscar. The front four, supported with runs from full-back of Rafael and Marcelo, have interchanged superbly.

But defensively Brazil have been a mess. It wasn't just the two goals Egypt scored against them in the second half - which could have been written off, perhaps, as a team that was 3-0 up at half-time losing concentration. There have been gaps in all three games they've played, lapses of marking, basic errors. The front four may end up as Brazil's front four in the World Cup in two years' time, but at the moment, Lucas and Ramires will be welcomed back to operate at the back of the midfield. It's hard to imagine Honduras, unbeaten as they are, impressive as Mario Martinez has been creatively and bravely as they rode their luck against Spain, being able to hold them off in the quarter-final.
   71. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:28 AM (#4199707)
A bit of luck for the US women as they get away with what looked like a clear penalty that would have seen New Zealand level the score. A few minutes later they got the second goal to put it away but they wouldn't have had that goal if New Zealand hadn't been forced to send everyone forward still. They'll need to play better to in the next game.
   72. Mattbert Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:34 AM (#4199716)
Malaga are going the Blackburn route at the speed of light!

Man, that is so screwed up. Speaking of Blackburn, they've reportedly signed Dickson Etuhu from Fulham. He'll be linking up with old buddy Danny Murphy to run riot in the Championship.
   73. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:36 AM (#4199717)
A bit of luck for the US women as they get away with what looked like a clear penalty that would have seen New Zealand level the score.

While you're totally right that they need to finish much better against whoever they play in the next game (GB or Canada [both of whom have been really impressive this tournament, considering their quality, especially the Brits]. Morgan was free at least six or seven times and they weren't able to find the final pass a few times beyond that. Part of the problem is how much this team misses a real holding/passing midfielder in Shannon Boxx, but w/e), there were a couple of good penalty shouts before that went uncalled by the referee, so my guess is that she just wasn't calling anything in the box.

Also this morning's offering, Sweden-France, was a thoroughly enjoyable match that I would have recommended, did I think anyone was reading this thread at 6am CST (or anyone cares what I recommend :p).
   74. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:38 AM (#4199721)
Man, that is so screwed up. Speaking of Blackburn, they've reportedly signed Dickson Etuhu from Fulham. He'll be linking up with old buddy Danny Murphy to run riot in the Championship.

Marca, FWIW, is reporting Rondon is going to Rubin Kazan and not Spurs. I'm just going to assume Levy has deals near completion for a striker as the plan B's are rapidly disappearing. Newcastle is only 15 days away...
   75. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:43 AM (#4199725)
Also, the next women's match is the quarterfinal between two underperforming titans, Japan and Brazil. Japan have struggled to score thusfar (none of their attackers has hit their stride and Sawa and Miyama have been unable to pick up the slack, as they usually do) and Brazil have just looked shoddy against moderately-organized defenses (and Japan is highly organized). If you have time, y'all should check it out! :)

EDIT: I honestly have no idea why I sound like a bad advertisement
   76. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:46 AM (#4199729)
Is Venky's making public claims of brining Blackburn back up, or what? Not that I believe a word they have to say about it, just curious what the spin is.
   77. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:47 AM (#4199730)
Also, the next women's match is the quarterfinal between two underperforming titans, Japan and Brazil. Japan have struggled to score thusfar (none of their attackers has hit their stride and Sawa and Miyama have been unable to pick up the slack, as they usually do) and Brazil have just looked shoddy against moderately-organized defenses (and Japan is highly organized). If you have time, y'all should check it out! :)

I'll catch some of it, though I won't have time to give it my complete focus like the US game.
   78. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 12:29 PM (#4199763)
Marca, FWIW, is reporting Rondon is going to Rubin Kazan and not Spurs. I'm just going to assume Levy has deals near completion for a striker as the plan B's are rapidly disappearing. Newcastle is only 15 days away...
The Sun reports that Spurs and West Ham are battling over Rondon. Given the reliability of The Sun, I take this to mean that neither team has ever, in fact, heard of him.
   79. Mattbert Posted: August 03, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4199771)
The Sun reports that Spurs and West Ham are battling over Rondon. Given the reliability of The Sun, I take this to mean that neither team has ever, in fact, heard of him.

Oh, they've heard of him. Harry had Spurs hot on the trail of the 'triffic young talent and top lad Candido Rondon before his departure. The boy is Brazilian. What more do you need to know?
   80. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4199787)
Oh, speaking of Harry, I just watched that clip of him getting smashed with the ball again. That makes me laugh every time.
   81. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 01:14 PM (#4199813)
Turkish clubs won't let a little match fixing scandal hold them back--Milos Krasic to Fenerbahce and Felipe Melo to Galatasaray.
   82. Mattbert Posted: August 03, 2012 at 01:24 PM (#4199821)
Felipe Melo was quite the goal machine for Galatasaray during his loan spell there. I had no idea.
   83. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 03:00 PM (#4199919)
Canada up 2-0 at the 26' mark against the hosts. Attacking game, excellent atmosphere. Britain's actually come out very strong (despite the fact that their talismanic player. Kelly Smith, is on the bench [deservedly so, she hasn't in good form for the better part of a year]), Canada's just had the good chances and the finishing (both goals were great pieces of finishing skill, actually).

EDIT: apparently Smith is on the bench due to injury (I assume the only that she fought through in the last match). I imagine she'll come on a substitute.
   84. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 03, 2012 at 03:11 PM (#4199929)
Oh, they've heard of him. Harry had Spurs hot on the trail of the 'triffic young talent and top lad Candido Rondon before his departure. The boy is Brazilian. What more do you need to know?

Oh come on! You can't make a signing that big without at least checking out some youtube clips man!
   85. Mefisto Posted: August 03, 2012 at 03:29 PM (#4199940)
I was pretty unimpressed by the US performance today. Manyh of our players are frustratingly poor on the first touch and there are far too many wayward passes. The offense consists mostly of "knock it long", though Rapinoe does a good job down the wing delivering crosses. Our fullbacks don't get forward much, probably because of the defensive problems early on.

They do work incredibly hard and they force a lot of turnovers because they pressure so well.
   86. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 03, 2012 at 04:04 PM (#4199977)
For my money, the team which looked most impressive today (keep in mind that I only managed to see half of the US-New Zealand game and I've been watching the others at work) is, rather ominously for the US, in the current game, i.e. Canada. I've never seen them so assured or composed in possession, and their defense has been coping with the British pretty well, for the most part (though they haven't really had to deal with Scott/Houghton pushing forward or with pressure from the top). This may be the best that I've ever seen the Canadian center midfielders press (particularly Desiree Scott) and pass (particularly one of my favorite players, Diana Matheson) and Melissa Tancredi is really imposing up top (something I would have never imagined. Never rated her highly at all). If they hold off "Team GB" (which seems likely, given how the British are playing), Carli Lloyd and Lauren Cheney (unless Shannon Boxx plays) will have their work cut out for them.

There is serious space behind the Canadian defense, though (and Fara Williams only just came on, so the British have been unable to exploit this. I honestly have no idea why Ellen White gets so many minutes.), and we all know how Alex Morgan likes exploiting space behind a defense...

France looked really good too, earlier today.
   87. Topher Posted: August 03, 2012 at 05:24 PM (#4200087)
Oh come on! You can't make a signing that big without at least checking out some youtube clips man!

Except that 'Arry has no idea how to use a computer. Even if he did, he wouldn't be able to spell "youtube".
   88. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 03, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4200110)
For my money, the team which looked most impressive today (keep in mind that I only managed to see half of the US-New Zealand game and I've been watching the others at work) is, rather ominously for the US, in the current game, i.e. Canada.

I'd agree with this. Canada looked sharp today while the US was sloppy, but it's just one game. I have to assume the US coaching staff saw the same problems we did and will work to tighten things up. They can't suddenly develop a better first touch, but they really need to be more patient in their passing.
   89. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: August 04, 2012 at 08:19 AM (#4200419)
Japan look well in control of their game with Egypt. Of course, now that I've said that Egypt will probably nick a goal somewhere.
   90. DA Baracus Posted: August 04, 2012 at 09:45 AM (#4200436)
Joey Barton is set to be loaned to newly promoted League Two side Fleetwood Town.
   91. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 04, 2012 at 09:56 AM (#4200437)
Bolton's facebook page posted the back of today's program. Portsmouth seem to be at a disadvantage.
   92. Mattbert Posted: August 04, 2012 at 10:10 AM (#4200441)
So is Pompey suiting up fans from the terraces to make up the numbers or what?
   93. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 04, 2012 at 10:49 AM (#4200455)
So is Pompey suiting up fans from the terraces to make up the numbers or what?
Far as I can tell, they have to empty the roster by sometime next week or they go entirely belly-up. I have no idea how they are going to reconcile that with the games they have scheduled. But hey, if you live in the Hampshire area and fancy yourself a footballer, now's your shot.

Incidentally, am I the last person to learn the League Cup is now the Capital One Cup? I always kind of liked "Carling Cup," although the new name does retain most of the alliteration, which is fun.
   94. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: August 04, 2012 at 12:54 PM (#4200506)
Does anyone else have a foxsoccer.tv subscription?

And is anyone else having the same problem replaying the matches? When I load the match, the start of the pre-match displays on screen for a second and then immediately cuts to black and the game progress bar pegs to the very end of the game. If I drag the indicator back to the beginning, the match audio begins to play, but the video never displays, just the black screen and the never ceasing whirling progress circle of doom.

What's even more irritating is that for some of the matches, if I attempt to load the match in a different browser, IE rather than Firefox, the match plays fine. Some matches play fine in both, some play fine in IE but not Firefox and some (like the Liverpool Euro Cup match) don't play in either, which seems to suggest something about the encoding of the matches, rather than some single browser issue.

In general, as much as I'd rather not give any part of the Fox Empire a dime of my money, I'm willing to compromise to be able to conveniently watch all EPL and CL matches online, but it's just striking how inferior the foxsoccer.tv experience is, at $19.99 a month, compared to what ESPN3 gives away for free.

95. frannyzoo Posted: August 04, 2012 at 01:13 PM (#4200516)
Brazil/Honduras: Another case of the PK given for a "foul" committed at the far corner of the area, with play going away from goal. That part of the rule/area has gotta get fixed.

Re: foxsoccer.tv Best advertisement ever for wiziwig and front row, imho.
   96. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 04, 2012 at 01:59 PM (#4200529)
Hilariously, when I put my Fantasy Team together, it defauted to Super Mario as the Captain. Perhaps they were just mocking me for selecting him at all.
   97. frannyzoo Posted: August 04, 2012 at 02:07 PM (#4200533)
Put me in what is probably a very small minority: I like these Barca road kits. Very Albuquerque Dukes.
   98. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: August 04, 2012 at 02:07 PM (#4200535)
CoB, I had similar issues last year with FS.tv, albeit not exactly what you experienced. My main issue was with these random skips -- I'd be watching a game that was in, say, the 20th minute, and out of nowhere the game would skip ahead to some point later in the game. This was particularly frustrating for Champions League games -- I'd manage to successfully avoid scorelines all day at work, only to come home and have the whole experience ruined. It didn't happen often enough for me to complain, but their product is far from bug free.
   99. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: August 04, 2012 at 03:12 PM (#4200562)
Both of Ramsay's penalties were pretty terrible. He's lucky they weren't both saved. (I also didn't think the second penalty should have been given, but I'm not married to that idea. I didn't see the first one, but I'm hearing that probably shouldn't have been given either.)
   100. I am going to be Frank Posted: August 04, 2012 at 04:30 PM (#4200580)
Ramsey gets into a lot of good goal-scoring positions but his finishing and composure are terrible.
Page 1 of 20 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Joost (Voxter)
for his generous support.