Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

OT: The Soccer Thread, August 2013

Bale bale bale bale, bale bale bale bale. Suarez bale bale bale bale bale bale Rooney! Bale bale bale bale bale bale bale bale bale bale bale bale bale Suarez Rooney Bale bale bale bale bale. Rooney, bale bale bale bale Suarez bale bale bale bale. Bale! Suarez! Rooney!

Also, JH (in DC) has created the BBTF Fantasy League again. The league code is 622554-151514. I forget the website for this but I’m sure the rest of you do. Nerds!

Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 06, 2013 at 08:50 AM | 1597 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: greed, hatred, off topic, pleading, soccer, stalking

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›
   201. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM (#4517638)
Oh that's harsh. Wigan don't deserve to be down 2-0 from what i've seen.
   202. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM (#4517639)
The Championship is a weird place.

I added BeIN Sport to my cable package a few months ago and I'm really looking forward to watching the Chamionship on a regular basis for just this reason. It seems more wide open on a weekly basis than the EPL.
   203. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM (#4517640)
Wigan's goalkeeper was totally screened on that shot from what I could tell, he didn't have a prayer of keeping that out.
   204. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM (#4517641)
I added BeIN Sport to my cable package a few months ago and I'm really looking forward to watching the Chamionship on a regular basis for just this reason. It seems more wide open on a weekly basis than the EPL.

Yeah it can be fun. But the main reason for the chaos is that the teams are just so noticeably worse. Any team is capable on any given day, of just throwing up a couple of howlers, which can turn a match.
   205. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM (#4517646)
Yeah it can be fun. But the main reason for the chaos is that the teams are just so noticeably worse. Any team is capable on any given day, of just throwing up a couple of howlers, which can turn a match.
I

I can live with that. "Well played" and "entertaining" are not always synonymous. I often attend the Golden Gloves boxing tournament and as much fun as the semi-finals and finals are the early rounds are often more fun. The finalists are typically good technical boxers and I enjoy that but the early rounds you often get a couple guys who are just swinging willy-nilly and there is a lot of action that is fun to watch.
   206. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM (#4517647)
Are Wigan better than Bolton? BTW Bolton are no longer encumbered by unserious gladhanding manager Owen Coyle who got them off to such a bad start last year, seemingly giving up 1 penalty per match. Whatever happened to that guy?
   207. Swedish Chef Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM (#4517650)
That's enough semi-competitive football for me, time for track and field.
   208. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM (#4517657)
Highlight of the Community Shield was unquestionably the shot of the ManU bench after the game. As Moyes exchanged handshakes with various coaches/players there was a picture of some of the seats behind the bench and one had been reserved for "MUFC Bus Driver." That's not a bad gig, front row seat behind the dugout at Wembley in exchange for driving a bus.
   209. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: August 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM (#4517952)
   210. Swedish Chef Posted: August 12, 2013 at 02:24 AM (#4517987)
Liverpool demanding an apology from Suarez sounds like a bad move, unless they are trying to create a narrative for why they have to get rid of him. It gives him a no-cost way to protest, by just refusing to apologize, and there's nothing they can do about it except sitting him which would cost them more than him, so they'll either look stupid or weak. The alternative is that they are just preparing the ground for selling him by creating a visible rift.
   211. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 12, 2013 at 08:31 AM (#4518010)
Liverpool demanding an apology from Suarez sounds like a bad move, unless they are trying to create a narrative for why they have to get rid of him. It gives him a no-cost way to protest, by just refusing to apologize, and there's nothing they can do about it except sitting him which would cost them more than him, so they'll either look stupid or weak. The alternative is that they are just preparing the ground for selling him by creating a visible rift.

You might be right. Ancelotti made it a point to say they didn't need Bale so maybe Real are moving away from Bale and towards Suarez. I don't know that Liverpool need to create a rift, though, as Luis has done that well enough on his own.

Stewart Downing to West Ham for 5 million! Big Sam trying to recreate all the success Liverpool had with those two...
   212. jmurph Posted: August 12, 2013 at 08:48 AM (#4518021)
Stewart Downing to West Ham for 5 million! Big Sam trying to recreate all the success Liverpool had with those two...

I can imagine a world in which Big Sam thinks he can still make use of Stewart Downing, but you're telling me Liverpool wouldn't have sold him for less than 5 million?
   213. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 12, 2013 at 08:56 AM (#4518024)
and there's nothing they can do about it except sitting him

They can't even really do that. He's already on a 6 game suspension.
   214. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 12, 2013 at 09:01 AM (#4518025)
They can't even really do that. He's already on a 6 game suspension.

They can always suspend him for the League Cup games!

edit: That's dumb. His suspension is for those games, too. Nevermind, then. Too bad there's no Intertoto Cup they could suspend him for.
   215. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM (#4518068)
Krieger joining Press and Engen at Tyreso for the second half of the Damallsvenskan season.
   216. jmurph Posted: August 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM (#4518073)
Interesting excerpt on Slate from a new book, The Numbers Game.
   217. Mefisto Posted: August 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM (#4518081)
I guess Krieger wasn't all that happy with a last place finish.
   218. Swedish Chef Posted: August 12, 2013 at 04:19 PM (#4518391)
This is in Swedish but the pictures are nice:

Picturesque football stadiums

Note that the Greenlandic one is the national arena.
   219. Big Ears Teddy shouldn't see TFTIO Posted: August 12, 2013 at 07:00 PM (#4518511)
I would watch the Hell out of a Braga game in a joint like that.
   220. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 12, 2013 at 08:19 PM (#4518576)
Those are some pretty stadiums. The Singapore one might be my favorite.
   221. Mattbert Posted: August 13, 2013 at 01:33 AM (#4518703)
Michael Cox on 5 young managers that could be great
Linked with Barcelona before Gerardo Martino's appointment, Villas-Boas will enjoy success again.

He has always insisted he wants a short career of around a decade, however -- and dreams of competing in the Dakar Rally by the time he's 50. Restricting himself to such a brief managerial career is the major barrier to his position amongst the list of all-time greats one day.
I had never heard that about AVB: that he wants a short career, let alone that he's a closet endurance off-road racing enthusiast. When you think about it though, couldn't you picture him as a F1 team boss?
   222. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 13, 2013 at 09:28 AM (#4518782)
   223. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 13, 2013 at 09:33 AM (#4518784)
Super Scotty Parker is off to QPR. I think he's too good for the Championship but good luck to him. It was hard not to be impressed with how hard he worked even if the quality wasn't always there. I wish he could have scored a goal for Spurs.
   224. just plain joe Posted: August 13, 2013 at 09:54 AM (#4518804)
The Singapore one might be my favorite.

I wonder if they have people ready to dive in after balls that go into the water.
   225. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 13, 2013 at 09:57 AM (#4518808)
Some conflicting reports about Parker...he's either having his medical at Fulham or QPR. Either way, he's off. Fulham would make more sense.
   226. Spivey Posted: August 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM (#4518812)
I really like the Faroe Islands stadium. Fulham had a Europa League match there a few years back, and it seems like they somewhat often have a team in the early stages of Europa League qualifying. That's something I think would be a lot of fun.
   227. Spivey Posted: August 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM (#4518813)
Also, I don't know that the Molde stadium is so cool as much as that city just looks insanely beautiful.
   228. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM (#4518844)
The answer is QPR. 'Arry's love affair with Scott Parker continues.
   229. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM (#4518883)
Re: an earlier conversation in this thread, the Washington Spirit GM on how the Spirit have retained strong attendence despite a terrible, terrible team. I imagine many of the other teams use similar strategies? At the very least, I think the Spirit had the longest preseason of any team.
   230. Mefisto Posted: August 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM (#4518946)
That's good marketing. Now they just need to make sure Krieger and Harris come back. It wouldn't hurt if they brought Press and Engen and even Klingenberg with them.
   231. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM (#4518964)
A Howler Magazine profile of Michael Bradley.
   232. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM (#4518998)
Super Scotty Parker is off to QPR. I think he's too good for the Championship but good luck to him.

At this point in his career his a AAAA player. Too good for the Championship, not good enough to start in the PL.
   233. Mattbert Posted: August 13, 2013 at 02:39 PM (#4519120)
At this point in his career his a AAAA player. Too good for the Championship, not good enough to start in the PL.

Isn't 'too good for the Championship' kind of by definition good enough to start for a Premier League team in the lower half of the table? Or at least one of the yo-yo clubs?

Parker is at least a year past his sell-by date as a contributor for a team chasing the Champions League or even Europa spots, but I'd say he's got something left to offer the clubs scrapping for what used to be mid-table security and is now merely the upper hand in the annual relegation dogfight extravaganza.
   234. Mattbert Posted: August 13, 2013 at 03:51 PM (#4519203)
The BBC is reporting Etienne Capoue to Spurs is complete. I'm pretty happy with this signing and I'm not quite sure how Spurs pulled it off. Another player some of Spurs' immediate competitors really could have used.

I missed this news while I was away in the woods on vacation, but L'Equipe are quoting no less authoritative a source than Hugo Lloris as saying Capoue is all but done with his move to Tottenham. Spurs are putting together a hell of a midfield here. Assuming the rumored departures of Parker (QPR), Huddlestone (Hull), and Livermore (Hull loan) are accurate, this is a very nice upgrade:

Parker --> Paulinho
Huddlestone --> Carroll
Livermore --> Capoue

In aggregrate a group that's younger, more versatile, more skillful, and more athletic. With AVB able to select from Dembele, Sandro, Holtby, Paulinho, Carroll, and Capoue to throw together a three-man central midfield for any given game he's got the options to play the powerful, dynamic, and direct style he made famous at Porto.
   235. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 13, 2013 at 05:07 PM (#4519302)
THTF...

In aggregrate a group that's younger, more versatile, more skillful, and more athletic. With AVB able to select from Dembele, Sandro, Holtby, Paulinho, Carroll, and Capoue to throw together a three-man central midfield for any given game he's got the options to play the powerful, dynamic, and direct style he made famous at Porto.
Did you watch the Espanyol friendly? In the first half they played a midfield triangle with Paulinho and Dembele behind Sigurdsson, and an unbalanced front three with Soldado up top, Chadli as a true wide forward on the left and Lennon as more of a winger on the right. They were extremely "vertical", sending waves of attacks forward. Siggy got a little lost as Paulinho and Dembele stormed through the center of the field, and Chadli struggled with his touch, but it was really impressive to watch. Soldado and Paulinho were really good and fit the system perfectly. I think that's AVB's style of football. If they can field that club with Bale as wide forward, it's going to be sick. (Against better clubs they will likely want a true holder like Sandro or Capoue in midfield.)

Sandro and Kaboul both came on for the second half. Sandro looked off the pace, like someone who was relatively recently recovered from major surgery. I don't expect him to play much for a few weeks. Kaboul was shockingly good, jumping for headers and diving into tackles at full speed. He might even be ready for Palace this weekend.
   236. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 13, 2013 at 07:58 PM (#4519449)
Isn't 'too good for the Championship' kind of by definition good enough to start for a Premier League team in the lower half of the table? Or at least one of the yo-yo clubs?

I think Parker is a rotation player at best for the lower table teams at this point.
   237. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 14, 2013 at 08:22 AM (#4519813)
   238. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 08:45 AM (#4519828)
Head Coach

I thought that was going to be a link to Jason Sudeikis.
   239. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2013 at 09:49 AM (#4519881)
In anticipation of the coming season, I binge-downloaded a bunch of podcasts to see if I could add to the only good one I've found, the Guardian's Football Weekly. Turns out all of the others are pretty terrible. Some Grant Wahl-led thing from SI in which he sounded like he was standing outside in the chunnel. It was maybe mostly MLS talk, anyway, I gave it about 10 seconds before deleting. EPL Talk, featuring several guys talking over each other, including an American Manchester City fan (alas) doing Bill Simmons-ian work mispronouncing names. And the host was doing his best James Richardson impression. It was mostly (EDIT: forgot the "un" here) unlistenable. I haven't tried the ESPN one in a while, so I might give that a chance when they start again. Am I missing any good ones out there?
   240. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 09:50 AM (#4519883)
Tom Huddlestone is off to the Hull City Tigers. Before the injuries he was a hell of a player. Best of luck to him.
   241. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 09:53 AM (#4519885)
Am I missing any good ones out there?

The Football Ramble is ok. The BBC does a wrap up show after the last game of the day that can be all right. Men in Blazers is pretty good when they aren't talking about useless #### I don't care about like Downton Abbey. They do a nice balance of EPL and American coverage.

edit: I forgot to mention. Football Weekly can blow me.
   242. Mattbert Posted: August 14, 2013 at 09:54 AM (#4519889)
Did you watch the Espanyol friendly?

Caught a replay of it last night. I was working on some photo editing at the same time and therefore not paying super close attention, but I think I broadly agree with your analysis.

Soldado has a lot more to his game than advertised; I was impressed with his all around play. Lennon looked unstoppable in the opening minutes and then drifted out of the game, as happens frustratingly often. I don't know if he needs to demand the ball more when he's in a rampant mood like that or what. I was more impressed by Chadli than you, I think. He had one heavy touch I remember that snuffed out a promising chance for him in the first half, but he played some brilliant stuff as well. Lots of flair. I reckon he'll quickly become a crowd favorite. Spurs fans are suckers for a player with a bit of panache.

The thing that struck me overall was the obscene amount of pace in the team, even without the threat of Bale. Lennon, Walker, and Rose we knew about. Kaboul always gets mentioned as the fastest man in the squad over distance, and as you say he looked fit as a fiddle. Chadli can seriously eat up some ground in a hurry. Soldado isn't a straightline burner, but he's quick as hell. Fryers' pace and reactions bailed him out of a few jammy situations defensively (he's still a work in progress, but I like the tools a lot). Paulinho has a great motor. Even if Bale leaves, this looks like it will still be an explosive counterattacking side. Matty like.
   243. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2013 at 09:57 AM (#4519896)
Thanks Shooty. Never tried the Football Ramble or the BBC one. The non-Michael Davies guy on Men in Blazers makes me want to commit homicide he's so annoying. It's canned joke after canned joke with him. Kills me.
   244. Mattbert Posted: August 14, 2013 at 09:58 AM (#4519899)
Tom Huddlestone is off to the Hull City Tigers. Before the injuries he was a hell of a player. Best of luck to him.

I'm really bummed out that he never got to buzz the Huddlefro in Tottenham colors.
   245. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM (#4519905)
Thanks Shooty. Never tried the Football Ramble or the BBC one. The non-Michael Davies guy on Men in Blazers makes me want to commit homicide he's so annoying. It's canned joke after canned joke with him. Kills me.

That would be Roger Bennett. He's the Everton fan of the two, right? I've tried Grant Wahl's podcast/videos but he's really kind of terrible when it comes to Euro soccer. He was blubbering the other day about Real Madrid's 100 million pound bid for Bale as if that bid is an actual thing that exists in this world. I can just read Caughtoffside.com for that kind of knowledge. He's good for breaking American soccer news, though. His voice is a TERRIBLE radio voice, sadly. It's not his fault, but...yeesh.
   246. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM (#4519911)
That would be Roger Bennett. He's the Everton fan of the two, right?

That's the one. When he stops trying to be funny he's fine. He just rarely stops trying to be funny.
   247. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM (#4519914)
Bale doubtful for week one. Way to throw my entire fantasy team into disarray. Probably have to completely redo it now. Friggin Spurs.
   248. ursus arctos Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM (#4519915)
On podcasts, you might also try "Second Captains Football", which is available through the Irish Times' website (the newspaper, not the paddywhackery bars) and Itunes. Beyond the Pitch (Itunes) also tends to have interesting guests, though the presenter's manner takes some getting used to. Finally, Sid Lowe has a new Spanish football podcast, the first episode of which went up on Soundcloud yesterday.
   249. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM (#4519920)
Bale doubtful for week one. Way to throw my entire fantasy team into disarray. Probably have to completely redo it now. Friggin Spurs.

Bale is doubtful for the whole ####### season! Did you draft Suarez, too?
   250. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM (#4519924)
I love Football Weekly. Those guys kill me.

Not a fan of Football Ramble. It seems to be entirely comment-hysterical laughter-comment-hysterical laughter. There's something about the idea of a good podcast sounding like 4 guys sitting in a bar chatting but FR is just too far down that road.

Ursus - Is Sid's podcast in English or in Spanish?
   251. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM (#4519931)
Bale is doubtful for the whole ####### season!

That's what trades are for. He's still there, and still awesome. And I need a big hitter to give my captains armband, and I don't like RVP with his price tag and opening schedule. At least not until some of those tough teams are cleared.

Did you draft Suarez, too?

Of course not. He's out the first six games. Even if I wanted him I wouldn't pick him up before then.
   252. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM (#4519945)
When are we making (Premier League) predictions? I need a reference point to mock my own stupidity in a few months.
   253. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM (#4519950)
When are we making (Premier League) predictions? I need a reference point to mock my own stupidity in a few months.

September 4th.
   254. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM (#4519960)
September 4th.

The first few games do count, Arsene.
   255. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM (#4519965)
Well I would say either now, or September 1st after the transfer deadline.
   256. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM (#4519968)
Did you draft Suarez, too?

I was going to draft both Suarez and Bale, and then realized that was exceedingly dangerous. Here's to hoping I remember to set my roster each week!
   257. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM (#4519970)
Talking Fussball is pretty great if you're into the Bundesliga.

I like Football Ramble but I only get about half their references because my knowledge of soccer history & past players isn't so great. I really wish there was a baseball version of FR but I haven't found it yet.

The BBC has a 90-minute talk show but I got kinda bored with it. Information overload, not enough humor/lightheartedness.

Love Football Weekly.
   258. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM (#4519972)
Also, Suarez says he wants to stay with Liverpool. If true I guess his lawyers told him that Liverpool didn't actually have to sell him. His best bet assuming a non-Premier side doesn't swoop in for him is to be awesome again this season, avoid biting anyone or speaking at a BNP rally, and hope that either Liverpool are much better and finish in the top 4 or that his value recovers enough that Liverpool will sell him due to the huge transfer offers.
   259. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM (#4519978)

I'll get us rolling;

Top Four;
Champs - Chelsea - All the managerial moving at the top I have a feeling the "stability" of Mourinho is going to be a difference maker
Man City
ManU
Tottenham

Relegation;
Stoke City
Fulham
Hull City Tigers (don't get the name wrong!)

Golden Boot - Robin Van Persie

Golden Glove - Joe Hart

Promoted Side likely to be most fun - Cardiff City

Returning team most likely to make a big jump - Aston Villa

Returning team most likely to fade - West Brom

Best Newcomer - Wilfried Bony

Will He Stay or Will He Go? - He will go (sorry Shooty)
   260. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM (#4519979)
The first few games do count, Arsene.

I make no predictions until the window shuts.

Also, Suarez says he wants to stay with Liverpool.

He denies giving that interview.
   261. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM (#4519980)
The Football Ramble guys are really incredibly knowledgeable about soccer worldwide, I would say. (Well, Pete not so much) And have great historical perspective, at least as much as four guys in their 30s can be aware of. Football Weekly still falls into the mainstream media bad habits, and they rarely show any enthusiasm.

- Well, Sid, we're all bored to death by this story, but we have to ask you about it anyway.
- Yep, I'm sick of this story too.
- (they spend the whole segment talking exclusively about said story)

- Well, obviously nobody can be expected to know anything about a player from the Russian league, and I can't say I've ever heard of him, but he's worth a big transfer fee, so he must be good, I guess.

- We really really really don't want to talk about (MLS / lower leagues / women's football), but we have to. Here's 90 seconds.

- Let's make predictions for no reason, and then forget what we said 2 minutes later!

Barry Glendenning in particular seems to literally know nothing except players' names, and makes fun of people who know things or aren't bored. Fernando Duarte isn't much better. I still listen as soon as each episode downloads, of course.
   262. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM (#4519982)
Bosnia has to be the favorite for the friendly this afternoon, right? They have a lot of talent up front on that team with Dzeko and Ibisevic, they're playing on their home turf, and we've got our B team defense and no Deuce or Donovan. I'm excited to see Johannson, though.
   263. ursus arctos Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM (#4519986)
Jose, the new Sid podcast is in English, and is now on Itunes.
   264. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM (#4519989)
Bosnia has to be the favorite for the friendly this afternoon, right?

They were 10/11 to win when I checked this morning. The US was more than 3/1 to win and the draw was a little bit less than that.
   265. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM (#4519990)
I like both FW and FR.
   266. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM (#4520003)
He denies giving that interview.

Well, glad I added "if true" to the start of the next sentence. Except who did he deny it to? Maybe they're making it up too!

Predictions!
I'll get us rolling;

Top Four:
Chelsea
Man City
Tottenham (you can guess where I fall on the Bale question)
Man U

Relegation:
Crystal Palace
Los Tigres de Ciudad Hull
West Brom

Golden Boot: Van Persie

Golden Glove: Cech

Promoted Side likely to be most fun: Cardiff City

Returning team most likely to make a big jump: Sunderland

Returning team most likely to fade: West Brom, in a big way.

Best Newcomer: Jozy!

Will He Stay or Will He Go?: He will stay (keep hope alive, Shooty!)

Odds that I have very little clue what I'm talking about: Extremely High.
   267. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM (#4520004)
Not really sure what kind of line up Jurgen's going to put out there today. Maybe something like...
Jozy - Johannson
E. Johnson - Bradley - Bedoya
Jones
F. Johnson - Cameron - Brooks - Parkhurst
Howard

I know they generally don't play with 2 strikers so maybe Corona replaces Johannson.
   268. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM (#4520010)
I'm interested in seeing Brooks play today. We really, really need him to be good.
   269. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM (#4520020)
Not a fan of Football Ramble. It seems to be entirely comment-hysterical laughter-comment-hysterical laughter. There's something about the idea of a good podcast sounding like 4 guys sitting in a bar chatting but FR is just too far down that road.

FR is the only podcast I listen to (and only then on occasion - I'm not really a podcast guy, but it was recommended here some time back, gave it a shot, and really liked it) and that's actually the aspect I enjoy. It's just like being a pub, chatting about football with some guys who really care about the game and have seen a lot of it. You're definitely correct about it being comment-laughter-comment-laughter (and that's certainly a reason to not listen), but that's kind of what I'm looking for in a podcast. Analysis I get via reading some people or watching the games myself...I just like chuckling around in the background while I'm working.

It's entirely an atmospheric thing; my friends and I have tossed around the idea of actually recording ourselves argue about TV/TV shows (modern youth: marathonning television and then arguing about it!) and so that's what I enjoy more in a podcast, though, as mentioned, I'm not really into podcasts very much, so I could be missing something important/just not had a lot of exposure.
   270. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM (#4520030)
I prefer FR to FW because the FR guys are just fans with a good depth of knowledge. FW feels over-produced and often they are just rehashing articles that have already been published. They do get Jonathan Wilson and Michael Cox, though, which I'll miss during my boycott. I wish Wilson and Cox had their own podcast. I would PAY a subscription fee to listen to that.
   271. ursus arctos Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM (#4520044)
Wilson shows up on Second Captains, as does Lowe, Graham Hunter, Honigstein, etc.
   272. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM (#4520060)
Hulk really wants to play in England

I don't believe Spurs are lining him up, though.
   273. ursus arctos Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM (#4520069)
BTW, Metalist Kharkiv have been expelled from the Champions League over match-fixing allegations dating to 2008, so Schalke will instead face PAOK (and former manager Huub Stevens) in the qualifying round. Metalist can still appeal to CAS, which would likely see them reinstated (as has happened with Fenerbahce).
   274. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM (#4520072)
Metalist Kharkiv have been kicked out of the CL for match fixing and replaced, temporarily, by PAOK. Of course, they can now appeal but the appeal won't happen until after the next qualifying round so...chaos! No idea who's taking PAOK's place in Europa.

edit: damn it!
   275. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM (#4520073)
Huub Stevens is no longer Huub Stevens, PAOK have changed his name to simply "Head Coach". Try to keep up.
   276. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM (#4520088)
Luis Gustavo sold to Wolfsburg. Huh. It was reported mostly as an Arsenal/Napoli war in the press I read, but the press I read isn't usually in German I guess.
   277. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM (#4520094)
I basically like Football Weekly because of James Richardson. He's highly skilled at hosting a podcast, which is an underrated quality, and when they let him talk Serie A, it's almost always good. That and the Cox/Wilson factor, and I find their continental experts (especially Lowe) reasonably fun, though perhaps it has something to do with my relative ignorance of those leagues.

I listened to the July 31st edition of European Football Show (Eurosport's podcast) when I was desperate for podcasts, and I thought it was actually quite good, if a little dry. (And they promised Jonathan Wilson content, I do believe.) I'm going to listen to their season preview, which was just posted today, while running errands.
   278. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM (#4520095)
Luis Gustavo sold to Wolfsburg. Huh. It was reported mostly as an Arsenal/Napoli war in the press I read, but the press I read isn't usually in German I guess.

That is quite an upset. I thought he'd go to a CL club, but money talks, I guess.
   279. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM (#4520097)
My preseason projections are up at Cartilage Free Captain. I'm not sure they're particularly meaningful as yet, but I have fun doing them and I'll be updating through the season as we get more and better data on team quality, so I figured I'd start at the beginning.
   280. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM (#4520100)

That is quite an upset. I thought he'd go to a CL club, but money talks, I guess.
Wolfsburg outbidding either Arsenal or Napoli for either wages or transfer fee seems pretty unlikely. I was guessing this was about personal reasons for Gustavo. Otherwise I got nothing. It would be funny if Arsenal were outbid again with their £70m war chest gathering dust, but I'm skeptical.
   281. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM (#4520102)
Wolfsburg outbidding either Arsenal or Napoli for either wages or transfer fee seems pretty unlikely.

Wolfsburg is a wealthy club so it's not as unlikely as you may think.
   282. jmurph Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM (#4520106)
Posting my 1-20 predictions here just for my own reference (and hopefully mockery from you all):

1. Manchester City
2. Chelsea
3. Manchester United
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
7. Everton
8. Newcastle
9. Swansea
10. Southampton
11. West Ham
12. Aston Villa
13. Norwich
14. Sunderland
15. West Brom
16. Stoke
17. Fulham
18. Crystal Palace
19. Cardiff
20. Hull City Tigers of Anaheim
   283. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM (#4520110)
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Spurs
5. Liverpool
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
8. Swansea
9. Aston Villa
10. Norwich
11. Southampton
12. West Ham
13. Newcastle
14. Fulham
15. Sunderland
16. West Brom
17. Cardiff
18. Stoke
19. Crystal Palace
20. Hull City Tigers

Golden Boot: Benteke

Golden Glove: Mignolet

Promoted Side likely to be most fun: Cardiff

Returning team most likely to make a big jump: Aston Villa

Returning team most likely to fade: West Brom

Best Newcomer: Ricky van Wolfswinkel

Will He Stay or Will He Go?: He will go

If I could reasonably pick an upset in one of the European leagues, I would. But I can't, so I won't.
   284. Mattbert Posted: August 14, 2013 at 01:09 PM (#4520124)

I always feel naive making predictions before the end of the summer transfer window, but I also feel like I'm cheating when making predictions after two or three match days are already in the books - doubly so this season given that there's a CL six-pointer (North London Derby) the day before the window shuts. Can't be helped I guess, not until the powers that be have some sense knocked into them and start closing the window on August 1st or something. Here's my naive version:

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Manchester United
4. Tottenham
5. Liverpool
6. Arsenal
7. Newcastle
8. Southampton
9. Swansea
10. Everton
11. Sunderland
12. Fulham
13. Aston Villa
14. West Ham
15. Norwich
16. Cardiff
17. West Brom
18. Stoke
19. Crystal Palace
20. Hull

Golden Boot: Luis Suarez
Golden Glove: Petr Cech
Promoted Side likely to be most fun: Crystal Palace (how can an Olly team not be fun?)
Returning team most likely to make a big jump: Southampton
Returning team most likely to fade: Stoke City
Best Newcomer: Roberto Soldado
Will He Stay or Will He Go?: He will stay. There will be trouble.
   285. Mattbert Posted: August 14, 2013 at 01:14 PM (#4520134)
   286. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 14, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4520157)
1. Manchester City
2. Chelsea
3. Manchester United
4. Tottenham
5. Liverpool
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
8. Southampton
9. Swansea
10. West Ham
11. Norwich City
12. West Brom
13. Newcastle
14. Sunderland
15. Aston Villa
16. Cardiff
17. Fulham
18. Stoke
19. Crystal Palace
20. Hull

Golden Boot: Robin van Persie
Golden Glove: Petr Cech
Promoted Side likely to be most fun: Cardiff
Returning team most likely to make a big jump: Southampton
Returning team most likely to fade: Fulham
Best Newcomer: Paulinho
Will He Stay or Will He Go?: He will stay.

Hull's +9 goal difference is the worst of a promoted side in the Championship / Premier League era. I think, Huddlestone or no Huddlestone, an under-talented team with Steve Bruce as manager is about as good a shout for instant re-relegation as you'll find.

I like Chelsea a little more than my stats do, Arsenal a little less, West Ham a little more, Fulham a little less. If there's a 2011-2012 Newcastle in this league, it's Southampton, but I think the top six are almost certainly too strong to admit any interlopers. I wouldn't be shocked by any of the top six making a legitimate title run.
   287. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 01:43 PM (#4520163)
Just listened to the Euro Sport podcast. I enjoyed it--too bad it's only once a fortnight. Michael Cox was kind of sour about Tottenham, though. :(
   288. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 14, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4520178)
Just listened to the Euro Sport podcast. I enjoyed it

I caught the first half hour and I'll second this. It was entertaining.
   289. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: August 14, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4520180)
Man, everyone is down on United. I mean I am too, but I am not counting on the beast being dead before I see it's corpse.
   290. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:02 PM (#4520186)
My preseason projections are up at Cartilage Free Captain. I'm not sure they're particularly meaningful as yet, but I have fun doing them and I'll be updating through the season as we get more and better data on team quality, so I figured I'd start at the beginning.

Thanks for these, MCoA. Seems to me there's a small amount of positive EV in the Spurs/LFC title lines, both currently at 28/1, particularly if one or both are able to snag Witsel/Lamela/Pjanic.
   291. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:04 PM (#4520187)
Man, everyone is down on United. I mean I am too, but I am not counting on the beast being dead before I see it's corpse.

Speaking just for myself it's not so much that I'm down on United but up on Chelsea/ManCity. Frankly I think City should have cruised to the last two titles rather than a last day of the season win and a not contending after Christmas 2nd place finish and that getting rid of Mancini is going to be a huge plus. Chelsea, well I'm putting a lot of faith in the Special One.

I won't be shocked if any of those three teams win the title though and I can see a path to the title for Tottenham though that would be a surprise. I think they're more likely to finish behind Arsenal than they are to win the title.
   292. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:12 PM (#4520193)
I won't be shocked if any of those three teams win the title though and I can see a path to the title for Tottenham though that would be a surprise. I think they're more likely to finish behind Arsenal than they are to win the title.
Oh, very much so. I think they're significantly more likely to finish behind Liverpool than they are to win the title. I'm just saying that a 5% chance for one of the big but sub-super clubs? I'd think about it. (My simulations say 10%, I'm not totally in love with that. But I think the Bloomberg table's 2% and 1% for Tottenham and Liverpool are too low.)
   293. Mefisto Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:19 PM (#4520207)
I wouldn't rule out United yet, but that midfield looks really weak and they have a ####-ton of goals in a single Van Persie basket. I can see 4th place if they don't make a move or two.
   294. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:20 PM (#4520211)
Jake Livermore also heading to Hull City Tigers, but on loan. So, Spurs two break glass in case of emergency strikers are now both going to Hull. I guess Zeki Fryers will make his first senior team sheet on Sunday.
   295. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:23 PM (#4520220)
What network are the Nats on today?
   296. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:23 PM (#4520221)
ESPN isn't streaming the USMNT game despite it being on ESPN2? Jackasses.
   297. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:27 PM (#4520226)
ESPN isn't streaming the USMNT game despite it being on ESPN2? Jackasses.

D'oh. I guess I'll have to resort to dodgy illegal streams, then.
   298. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4520229)
Ok, ESPN is now streaming the match. Whew. I was going to be irritated if I had to go to some crappy pirated feed.
   299. zack Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4520230)
I wouldn't rule out United yet, but that midfield looks really weak and they have a ####-ton of goals in a single Van Persie basket. I can see 4th place if they don't make a move or two.

Wasn't their midfield weak last year too?

I recall reading some giant PDF-zine preview of the Bundesliga last year, and since this is 99% of the soccer content I read, I'm guessing it was linked from here. Anyone know what I'm talking about and if there is one for this season?
   300. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: August 14, 2013 at 02:31 PM (#4520232)
It looks like it's on ESPN3/WatchESPN. Not watching it right now but it's scheduled.
Page 3 of 16 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (RDP)
for his generous support.