Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, December 01, 2011

OT: The Soccer Thread: December 2011

What I Want for Christmas:

Carlos Tevez: A ticket out of Manchester
Wayne Rooney: To be known from here on out as “Tintin” instead of “Shrek”
Harry Redknapp: An acquittal
Andre Villas-Boas To still be employed come Christmas
Portsmouth Fans: For their club to still exist come Christmas
Me: West Ham United, Championship leaders come Christmas
Shooty: Any Spurs gear from the years 1964-1982

RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: December 01, 2011 at 11:26 PM | 990 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: special topics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10
   901. CWS Keith plans to [omitted] at [omitted] Posted: January 03, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4027885)
edit: His first game back? Against United, of course!

Actually, provided Liverpool are able to advance in the FA Cup, his first game of eligibility will be a week earlier against Team BTF.
   902. Jose is Absurdly Unemployed Posted: January 03, 2012 at 02:35 PM (#4027888)
Liverpool will not appeal Suarez' suspension so his ban goes into effect immediately. As in...today! It makes sense--they have 3 cup games coming up which will lessen the impact of the suspension on their league position.

So is an English FA suspension applicable to all games? In other words if they were competing in the League Cup still would games in that competition (which I imagine Suarez would not participate in either way) be counted?

Am I right in assuming that UEFA suspensions apply only to UEFA competitions and FIFA to FIFA competitions?

Assuming that's correct, if Xavi is red carded in the Champions League final, would he have to serve a suspension in the European Championship for Spain or would any discipline be applicable to his club matches only?
   903. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 03, 2012 at 02:35 PM (#4027889)
Actually, provided Liverpool are able to advance in the FA Cup, his first game of eligibility will be a week earlier against Team BTF.

Ooh. I say Spurs go with this lineup:

Friedel
Walker-Gallas-King-BAE
Lennon Huddlestone Livermore Rose
Defoe Adebayor

:)
   904. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 03, 2012 at 02:38 PM (#4027891)
So is an English FA suspension applicable to all games? In other words if they were competing in the League Cup still would games in that competition (which I imagine Suarez would not participate in either way) be counted?

His FA suspension applies to all FA sanctioned games, including Cup games. For example, last year Michael Dawson got a red against Fulham in the FA Cup and served out his suspension in regular league games. UEFA suspensions don't bleed into FIFA tourneys, so in your scenario, Xavi wouldn't miss the Euros.
   905. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 03, 2012 at 02:46 PM (#4027902)
OK gents. See you in a few hours. I'm recording the impending Spurs fiasco. Just have a bad feeling about this game today for some reason. It might be VDV playing on the right with only one DM to cover his efforts at "defense".
   906. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 03, 2012 at 02:50 PM (#4027909)
Just real quickly...

Some nice sensitivity from a Liverpool blog. Referring to the picture they're using for Man City.
   907. Jose is Absurdly Unemployed Posted: January 03, 2012 at 03:18 PM (#4027942)
UEFA suspensions don't bleed into FIFA tourneys, so in your scenario, Xavi wouldn't miss the Euros.

FIFA is the Euro "sponsor?" I assumed that was a UEFA tournament. Does UEFA only run the club tournaments?
   908. Swedish Chef Posted: January 03, 2012 at 03:32 PM (#4027961)
FIFA is the Euro "sponsor?"

No. That's UEFA.

But club and country suspensions don't carry over to each other (unless it was for doping or murdering a linesman or something, then FIFA will ban them worldwide*.)

*) For example, Man United prospect Ronnie Wallwork got himself banned for life (reduced on appeal) after attacking a ref while on loan at Antwerp in 1999.
   909. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: January 03, 2012 at 03:38 PM (#4027963)
Spurs for today. No rest for the weary.

That's the Redknapp way.
   910. Mattbert Posted: January 03, 2012 at 03:43 PM (#4027967)
Fatigued Spurs unable to find a way through fresh-legged opposition defending with ten men behind the ball. Film at eleven.
   911. Textbook Editor Posted: January 03, 2012 at 03:57 PM (#4027981)
So what's Sandro's injury?
   912. Mattbert Posted: January 03, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4027984)
I'm told it looked like thigh/hammy. Not great.
   913. Mattbert Posted: January 03, 2012 at 04:02 PM (#4027988)
Seems they're taking turns trying to kick Bale out of the game. Three bookings for fouls on him already.
   914. Textbook Editor Posted: January 03, 2012 at 04:08 PM (#4027999)
Thanks, Mattbert.
   915. Textbook Editor Posted: January 03, 2012 at 04:14 PM (#4028008)
Argh. Now Gallas is hurt? Wunderbar.
   916. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: January 03, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4028076)
Argh. Now Gallas is hurt? Wunderbar.

Shouldn't you have gone French there?
   917. spivey Posted: January 03, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4028089)
I just wanted to pop in to say that Fulham are a bunch of draw-obsessed wankers who cannot hold a lead in the 94th minute.
   918. Textbook Editor Posted: January 03, 2012 at 05:07 PM (#4028097)
#916--I don't know French. Or German...

Does that count as "grinding out a win"? While a title chase would be fantastic fun, wouldn't locking down (at worst) a 3rd place finish be the top priority (outside of an FA Cup run)?
   919. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 03, 2012 at 07:36 PM (#4028229)
Any game when Niko Kranjcar ends up playing DM and you win is a good ####### win. Man, West Brom wasn't even going to pretend to score until they went down a goal. They're really not such a bad team going forward. Come on Roy, don't be such a ##### all the time.
   920. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 03, 2012 at 07:49 PM (#4028241)
January thread coming soon. West Ham tied for top of the table! I'm enjoying this year. Much more than I will next, I suspect.
   921. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 03, 2012 at 08:00 PM (#4028245)
For all the crisis Liverpool are supposed to be in now, they're only 3 points off a CL spot.

Also, Marco Borriello is headed to Juventus. It's going to be weird seeming him in a shirt other than Roma's. On the other hand, hopefully this means one less suitor for Leandro.
   922. Mattbert Posted: January 03, 2012 at 08:22 PM (#4028259)
So what's Sandro's injury?

In his post-match gab, Harry said it looked like Sandro and Gallas both had calf injuries. He expected Sandro to be out a while from the sound of it.
   923. Textbook Editor Posted: January 03, 2012 at 09:40 PM (#4028321)
From the Guardian write-up:

The luckless Sandro tore a calf muscle and, according to Redknapp, will be a long-term casualty, and William Gallas damaged the same muscle and "didn't look very good". Given his previous with calf problems, Redknapp will worry until he has the scan results.

Crud, crud, and crud. I really like Sandro, and he's a necessary cog. With Parker out, midfield could be a minefield over the next few weeks.
   924. Mefisto Posted: January 03, 2012 at 09:41 PM (#4028323)
Looks to me like Harry is priming Spurs to fade in the second half. He just won't rest them.

I finally figured out what Stewart Downing is good for, though: he looks lively out there (h/t Steve McManaman). He can't score, but he sure looks lively.
   925. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 03, 2012 at 09:48 PM (#4028327)
Crud, crud, and crud. I really like Sandro, and he's a necessary cog. With Parker out, midfield could be a minefield over the next few weeks.

I'm waiting for the scans before I panic. Luckily the B team should be able to handle Cheltenham Town Saturday. Tom Carroll might see some first team action. I'll take him over Kranjcar as a holding midfielder.
   926. Mattbert Posted: January 03, 2012 at 10:34 PM (#4028349)
Huddlestone is fairly close to being able to return, I've heard. He's more of a distributor than a holder, but it'll help to have another warm body in the central midfield mix. Plus, he's not cut his hair since he got hurt so that'll be fun.
   927. frannyzoo Posted: January 03, 2012 at 10:38 PM (#4028352)
In an effort to find an even slower entity than a Wolves counter-attack, I've turned into quite the cricket viewer. There's a hazy mother's womb detachment from the world to it all. Anyway, I know there's some cricket followers here and will just throw this dumb question out: Can India just forfeit at this point? This is getting quite embarrassing, but I don't know the rules about capitulation. I've just now figured out what "leg-byes" are.
   928. Baldrick Posted: January 03, 2012 at 10:56 PM (#4028356)

I strenuously object to this moniker.
   929. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 07:36 AM (#4028442)
Huddlestone is fairly close to being able to return, I've heard. He's more of a distributor than a holder, but it'll help to have another warm body in the central midfield mix. Plus, he's not cut his hair since he got hurt so that'll be fun.

February at the earliest. I've actually stopped counting on him playing this year. Today will be a big day re: injury news. Come on Sandro, don't be crocked!
   930. BFFB Posted: January 04, 2012 at 07:40 AM (#4028443)
Dalglish speaks!

Reporter: No apology for saying 'negro'?

Kenny Dalglish: “I would have thought that if you pronounced the word properly, you maybe understand it better. I think it was Spanish he was speaking and I don’t think you were speaking Spanish there.

“If you get into asking a linguistic expert, which certainly I am not, they will tell you that the part of the country in Uruguay where he (Suarez) comes from, it is perfectly acceptable.

“His wife calls him that and I don’t think he is offended by her. We have made a statement and I think it is there for everybody to read. Luis has made a brilliant statement and we will stand by him.

FA verdict said ‘simply incredible’ to suggest it wasn’t used in an offensive way.

“There’s a lot of things we’d like to say and a lot we could say, but we would only get ourselves in trouble. We are being evasive because we don’t like getting ourselves in trouble.

“We know what has gone on. We know what is not in the report and that’s important for us. Without me getting ourselves in trouble, I think that’s us finished.

Why take the ban now and not play the next three games and Carling Cup semi-final?

“He could have played for a fortnight.

Why didn’t he then?

“He has to serve eight games at some stage and this time is as good as any isn’t it? It was better to get the situation over and done with.

Mark Lawrenson says Suarez may feel unsettled playing in England. Concern?

“Because Mark Lawrenson said it? No. I don’t see why we have to reply to anybody. If you’re asking if I have any concern about Luis playing in England, then no.

Is he strong enough?

“I don’t have a problem with Luis playing in England.

Do you regret the T-shirts?

“You see if one of you guys were in trouble, would you help him? Would you support him if you knew the truth and you knew it was right? Would you support him?

If they want to show their support for their team-mate, what’s wrong with that?

“It was a fabulous statement to make, visually, of their support of a guy who is endeared in the dressing-room, one of their closest friends in the dressing-room, and all of his friends in the dressing-room can speak up adequately and perfectly for him.

“I think it is very dangerous and unfortunate that you don’t actually know the whole content of what went on at the hearing. I’m not prepared, and I can’t say it, but I am just saying it is really unfortunate you never got to hear it.

Given how wider public so opposed to your view, what do you have to lose by telling us?

"It’s up to the club to decide what they want to do.

If you have something to say, surely say it as you are digging a bigger hole for yourself?

“I don’t think we are digging a bigger hole, but I just think it’s unfortunate we can’t be more forthcoming. That’s the unfortunate thing.

You basically accused the FA of conspiracy in your two statements.

"So they have made a statement then.

The hearing was to lay 115 pages of evidence, so why are the FA targeting Liverpool and Suarez?

“I don’t know. Maybe wrong place, wrong time. It could have been anybody. I can’t answer for the FA, you ask them.

You think there is an agenda?

“No. You said that, I never. You get yourself in trouble, I’m all right.

Concerned first game back could be at Old Trafford?

“I’ll just be delighted to get him back.

he really needs to be told to shut up.
   931. BFFB Posted: January 04, 2012 at 07:42 AM (#4028444)
Balls. I hit the "code" instead of "quote" button and now it won't let me edit the post.
   932. Textbook Editor Posted: January 04, 2012 at 07:54 AM (#4028447)
John Henry/Ownership's silence on the Suarez thing has been a bit disappointing--the "statements" are just not something you'd ever see issued by the Red Sox under similar circumstances.

933. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: January 04, 2012 at 08:34 AM (#4028456)
Balls. I hit the "code" instead of "quote" button and now it won't let me edit the post.

Hitler. Worse than, you are.
   934. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: January 04, 2012 at 08:35 AM (#4028457)
Ok, where is that January thread?
   935. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 04, 2012 at 09:12 AM (#4028480)
Ok, where is that January thread?
It's coming, just a little slow owing to the BBTF update.

I'm also working on editing #930
   936. Mattbert Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:08 AM (#4028518)
I'm also working on editing #930

That would be nice.

Otherwise the scrolling will be really annoying unless we put in carriage returns after every sentence.

Like this.
   937. Swedish Chef Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:12 AM (#4028522)
Dalglish should just #### off back to the 80's where he belongs.
   938. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:16 AM (#4028523)
So I can't fix #930.

But I did submit the January thread so that should be up soon.

Please write all future posts like this until then.
   939. Textbook Editor Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:27 AM (#4028530)
Dalglish should just #### off back to the 80's where he belongs.

Maybe it's because I'm seeing this via an American POV, but the Liverpool
reaction to all this is just... weird. Really, really weird. The Dalglish interview
in #930 just reads like the rantings of a lunatic.

I mean, I'm trying to picture what would happen if, say,
the Red Sox had a player do something similar to a Yankee player (accompanied
by similarly bizarre "statements" from the club, wearing t-shirts with the
offending player's image/number during batting practice, etc.)... and I'd
have to believe there would just be an absolute media ####-fit--and rightly
so. And the Red Sox as an organization would be lambasted. And the manager
(were he to make similar comments about an MLB finding on the matter) would
be fined heavily by MLB... and that would just be the beginning. Sponsors
would pull ads from NESN, there's be protests at Fenway Park before games...

At this distance (i.e., from America), it's not clear to me how much people
think Liverpool (as a club) are being just utterly tone-deaf over this. I know
that as a Red Sox fan, I'm really embarrassed that our owner has let this thing
go to the point where the other club he owns seems like one that doesn't give
two craps about racism in the sport... as the owner of the Red Sox (a team with
a very dubious history when it comes to outright racism on an institutional
level), he's got to understand the optics of this looks awful. In fact, I'm kind
of shocked we haven't seen any "Do the Red Sox owners not care about racism?"
articles here in the U.S...

940. Jose is Absurdly Unemployed Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:32 AM (#4028534)
In fact, I'm kind
of shocked we haven't seen any "Do the Red Sox owners not care about racism?"
articles here in the U.S...

I think the fact that Suarez is South American helps that. From a PR perspective this would probably play differently if it was an English speaking white guy who made the comments.
There is enough cover here (second language, "just winding him up", different meanings in different languages) for a PR department to play around.
   941. Baldrick Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:34 AM (#4028535)
I am really confused by the response to this Suarez thing. Why is everyone focused on the word that he used?

The report says that his statement was basically "I kicked you because you're black." Isn't that a pretty big problem even if the word were acceptable?

And isn't that itself evidence that the word was not being used in a friendly way?
   942. Swedish Chef Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:49 AM (#4028549)
From a PR perspective this would probably play differently if it was
an English speaking white guy who made the comments.
There is enough cover here (second language, "just winding him up",
different meanings in different languages) for a PR department to play around.

I don't know, there has been basically no support for Liverpool's
stance from outside their bubble, their PR strategy is clearly
not working. At least at convincing nonbelievers, not that that
might matter all that much to them.

Personally I've moved them to the evil side in my ledger. Which
of course means that I'm now actually rooting for Spurs getting
a CL spot. Probably the kiss of death for Tottenham's hopes.
   943. Mattbert Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:55 AM (#4028555)
You've already felled two Tottenham players with your damned support, Chef.

I'll thank you to get behind some other club, pronto.
   944. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:55 AM (#4028556)
Probably the kiss of death for Tottenham's hopes.

Damn it. Why should innocents suffer!

I think this story isn't getting play here, despite the Red Sox connection,
because no one really cares about English soccer outside a devoted niche
audience.
   945. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 10:57 AM (#4028559)
Borussia Dortmund have signed Marco Reus! Wow!
   946. Mattbert Posted: January 04, 2012 at 11:08 AM (#4028568)
Borussia Dortmund have signed Marco Reus! Wow!

Hometown boy.
   947. Textbook Editor Posted: January 04, 2012 at 11:11 AM (#4028572)
audience.

Probably correct. I just figured by now there'd be a NY Daily News article gleefully pointing
out how the Red Sox are still a racist organization because of how ownership has allowed
the Liverpool situation to be handled by the club...

And, again, I'm pretty perplexed that Henry basically allowed those "statements" to be made,
etc... And that no one from the UK press (that I've seen) seem to have even tried getting
a quote from him. It's all quite odd.
   948. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 11:16 AM (#4028579)
And, again, I'm pretty perplexed that Henry basically allowed those "statements" to be made,

I'm surprised at how FSG as a company has handled it. They seem much more
removed from the daily operation of the club than I imagined they would be.
   949. BFFB Posted: January 04, 2012 at 11:42 AM (#4028614)
I don't know, there has been basically no support for Liverpool's
stance from outside their bubble, their PR strategy is clearly
not working. At least at convincing nonbelievers, not that that
might matter all that much to them.

There "PR" appears to be firmly aimed at the myopic nitwits
that inhabit RAWK.

Maybe it's because I'm seeing this via an American POV, but the Liverpool
reaction to all this is just... weird. Really, really weird. The Dalglish interview
in #930 just reads like the rantings of a lunatic.

Not just you. Pretty much everyone in the UK including the press other than
the BNP, Combat 18 and the more tribalistic Liverpool fans also think their
response is disgusting. Not helped by their supporters also bombarding
Stan Collymore and other black pundits with racist drivel if they speak out
about Suarez.

There was also a journalist who went into Toxteth [historically black area
of Liverpool] and asked what Liverpool supporters thought. They all responded
with disgust and more or less said they would stop supporting the club.
   950. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 04, 2012 at 11:43 AM (#4028616)
audience.
Also, I think there's an air of "wacky Europeans do wacky things" to all this and the media doesn't really want to get into the issues of race in other countries.
That's not something you can easily do a blurb on, it's more downside than up.
   951. Textbook Editor Posted: January 04, 2012 at 11:44 AM (#4028620)
I'm surprised at how FSG as a company has handled it. They seem much more
removed from the daily operation of the club than I imagined they would be.

Yeah, that's my impression as well. Now I know Henry generally doesn't make
statements/do interviews regarding the Red Sox (it seems he does a handful
of interviews over the course of a season, but no more than that), but he has
hand-picked guys like Lucchino and the GM to do the talking. Here it seems
he might have thought he had good people in charge on the local
level but if anything this whole episode seems to reveal a housecleaning of the
top-level execs may be in order at LFC, so more PR-savvy folks are in
charge...
   952. J. Sosa Posted: January 04, 2012 at 12:02 PM (#4028646)
Not much to add on Suarez. After reading the report I have no idea what Dalglish and the other higher ups were thinking. Also don't really feel comfortable supporting a team where Suarez is portrayed as some sort of martyr. Contrition would have been nice.
   953. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4028663)
Obi and Sosa...That's one of the sad things about this. I hope LFC eventually make good on this.
It's sad for the club to lose fans by acting stupidly, but it's more sad for the supporters to lose their club.
   954. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 12:33 PM (#4028672)
Not to pile on LFC, but there are rumors they may take on Keano on loan to cover Suarez' suspension. Vaya con dios, compadres.
   955. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4028851)
   956. Mattbert Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4028871)
No love for the wheelchair bocce, Shooty?
   957. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:47 PM (#4028873)
Donovan in the 11 for Everton today. De Gea on the bench for Man U while Roony pairs with the Berb up top.
   958. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:49 PM (#4028877)
No love for the wheelchair bocce, Shooty?

I won't pretend to know what you mean...

Where's the edit function? Where are the bookmarks? Why is BBTF getting worse? Give me status quo, or give me death!
   959. Swedish Chef Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:51 PM (#4028880)
Hopefully these coins will be issued to the linesmen.

Where's the edit function?

Far away to the right?
   960. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:52 PM (#4028881)
Far away to the right?

Ah, right. Obi worse than Hitler and all that.
   961. Mattbert Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:53 PM (#4028883)
I won't pretend to know what you mean...

Peep the last image (7 of 7) on the page you linked.
   962. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:57 PM (#4028891)
Peep the last image (7 of 7) on the page you linked.

Well damn, now I've seen everything. Yes, I do want one of those. Time for another trip to London.
   963. spivey Posted: January 04, 2012 at 02:59 PM (#4028893)
Is De Gea no longer the #1 keeper at Man U? And what happened to Javier Hernandez. I'm not following soccer as much as I did last year, but he seems to have been super quiet and not playing when I've been watching.
   964. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4028895)
Donovan draws a foul in a dangerous area
   965. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 03:02 PM (#4028896)
Is De Gea no longer the #1 keeper at Man U? And what happened to Javier Hernandez.
I'm not following soccer as much as I did last year, but he seems to have been super quiet and not playing when I've been watching.

De Gea is in the doghouse. Hernandez has had some injuries and Berbatov is in good form now so he's getting a run.
   966. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 03:45 PM (#4028928)
Phil Dowd gives the Yank a lecture about the evils of diving.
   967. CWS Keith plans to [omitted] at [omitted] Posted: January 04, 2012 at 04:36 PM (#4028974)
Am I seeing this right? My Blackberry ScoreMobile FC app is
crediting Tim Howard with Everton's goal in the 63rd minute. Did anyone
see it?
   968. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 04, 2012 at 04:41 PM (#4028976)
Yeah, just saw a replay.

Total fluke. Long goal kick lands just beyond Saha, takes a bounce right over the head of the Bolton
keeper. The "ohfuck ohcrap ohshit" look on the keeper's face as he's backpedaling is pretty great. It
doesn't look like he was out of position - just terribly unlucky.
   969. DA Baracus Posted: January 04, 2012 at 04:44 PM (#4028981)
I didn't see it but he did in fact score. Because Tim Howard is amazing. (And currently losing but we will ignore that.) Wind-aided goal kick.

EDIT: Coke.
   970. Jose is Absurdly Unemployed Posted: January 04, 2012 at 04:51 PM (#4028990)
What's the big deal? We all knew that when Landon Donovan suited up a US player would score for Everton.

Seriously, I was a keeper when I played youth league soccer and I'll never forget the horrible feeling when I realized a ball was too high to reach and headed into the net. If it felt that bad at 12 years old I'm guessing doing it in front of 50,000 people is not better.
   971. DA Baracus Posted: January 04, 2012 at 04:52 PM (#4028992)
   972. Dale Sams Posted: January 04, 2012 at 05:01 PM (#4029000)
I only saw the second half of the Newkie-Manu game...frantic, fit defending by Newcastle, but they play offense like a bunch of under-14s playing FIFA 12'...."GOGOGOGOOG"..drive yourself completly out of control into 3 defenders over and over..make a 50mph pass to a guy 5 feet away...etc...etc..."Playing with great confidence!" was a euphemism for "Playing out of control."..reminded me of the womens national team in their last game.
   973. Dale Sams Posted: January 04, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4029002)
Howard's comment: '#### #### #### #### shit"
   974. Mefisto Posted: January 04, 2012 at 06:37 PM (#4029052)
Newcastle's goals were both incredible shots and they played frantic defense.
Possibly the worst game I've ever seen Man Utd. play.
   975. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 04, 2012 at 06:38 PM (#4029053)
The last keeper to score an open play goal was Brad Friedel and that game also ended poorly for Blackburn.

FERGIE OUT!
   976. DA Baracus Posted: January 04, 2012 at 06:49 PM (#4029063)
The last keeper to score an open play goal was Brad Friedel and that game also ended poorly for Blackburn.

There have been four open play goals by keepers in EPL history. Two were by Americans.

USA! USA! USA! USA!
   977. Mattbert Posted: January 04, 2012 at 07:59 PM (#4029124)
Classy of Howard not to celebrate scoring.

I think Bogdan's last appearance was his disaster against Chelsea.

Good of his teammates to come back and win this one.
   978. DA Baracus Posted: January 05, 2012 at 10:44 AM (#4029438)
Robbie Keane set to go on two month loan to Aston Villa, I can't wait to hear how he's always dreamed of playing for Aston Villa.
   979. Grunthos Posted: January 05, 2012 at 11:17 AM (#4029468)
Doesn't everyone dream of playing for Aston Villa? [/sarcasm]

Following Villa is a bit strange, there's no real equivalent in North American leagues... the team ought to have been one of the automatic beneficiaries of the Premier League era, along with Man U, Liverpool, and Arsenal (size of catchment basin, preeminence within the geographic region, history, stadium, etc.), but the penny-pinching stewardship of Doug Ellis meant that they missed the boat. There's no way to catch up now without becoming the plaything of an oil tycoon.
   980. Swedish Chef Posted: January 05, 2012 at 11:40 AM (#4029481)
There's no way to catch up now without becoming the plaything of an oil tycoon.

Oh, yes, there are. All they need is to stay calm and wait for the following events to happen:

- A popular uprising in the Gulf turns Man City into a frozen asset.
- John Henry is beaten up by the commodities market.
- Roman's past catches up with him.
- Fergie retires and some Glazer progeny decides to take a more hands-on role in running United.

Tottenham and Newcastle they can handle without an act of God.
   981. BFFB Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:00 PM (#4029494)
Roman's past catches up with him.

He could well have his hands busy this year greasing palms what with the upcoming elections in Russia.
   982. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:21 PM (#4029511)
Lille are selling Moussa Sow to Fenerbahce if the player will agree to go.
The 12 million Euros is a lot less than the 20 million pounds the English papers had Spurs or Arsenal ponying up.

Omar Gonzalez and George John left the Nats training camp. Both could be heading to Europe.
   983. ursus arctos Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:25 PM (#4029516)
Gonzalez is going to Nürnberg; don't know about John.

Sow doesn't want to go to Istanbul.
   984. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:34 PM (#4029523)
Sow doesn't want to go to Istanbul.

I do! Istanbul looks pretty great. Is Gonzalez going on loan?
   985. ursus arctos Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:38 PM (#4029530)
Istanbul is great, but perhaps Sow is worried about the growing power of Islamists who could misinterpret his surname . . .

Gonzalez is on loan for a couple of months.
   986. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:41 PM (#4029533)
but perhaps Sow is worried about the growing power of Islamists who could misinterpret his surname . . .

Ha! But maybe he should worry more about Harry's predilection for bacon sandwiches...
   987. Grunthos Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:41 PM (#4029536)
All they need is to stay calm and wait for the following events to happen:

And, quite sensibly, this seems to be Lerner's plan.

Tottenham and Newcastle are basically in the same boat. I've started to feel an odd sort of sympathy for Tottenham, who have never been on my list of favorites, because they are right now where Villa were 2-3 years ago... they've played it all well, and it's still not going to be enough to overcome the structural inequities in the system.
   988. Swedish Chef Posted: January 05, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4029540)
I do! Istanbul looks pretty great.

It's not a very good place to progress as a footballer for a star, it's a good mix of competition and money
for those that have stalled in their careers though. It's not totally giving up like going to MLS or Qatar.
   989. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 05, 2012 at 01:55 PM (#4029614)
   990. Mefisto Posted: January 05, 2012 at 02:03 PM (#4029618)
Great for January, but when do we get our bookmarks back?
Page 10 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.