Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 01, 2013

OT: The Soccer Thread: February 2013

Well, it was on time last month!

RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 01, 2013 at 10:59 AM | 1499 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 09, 2013 at 05:51 PM (#4366221)
The aforementioned Francophiles seem safe and Norwich, Sunderland, Fulham and West Ham seem to have too big of lead to be caught at this point
HAMMERS THINK FACTORY Ahh!

Not listening! Jinx! Jinx! No one is safe until they're mathematically safe! Ahh!

What was Barry even attempting to do there? You can see even on that GIF that he drops his head and starts walking away before the ball even crosses the line.
   602. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 09, 2013 at 06:03 PM (#4366224)
Spurs Stat Factory?

Obviously this is rough and the samples are small, but I checked the Lloris/Friedel splits for Spurs. They're kind of entirely incredible. With Lloris in goal, Tottenham are about 85% better than league average in goals conceded (with adjustments for quality of opposition). With Friedel, they're a little below average. With Lloris in goal, Tottenham are about 40% better than league average in expected goals conceded, with Friedel they're a little below average. And obviously some percentage of the gap between real goals and expected goals should be credited to the keeper anyway.

Lloris: +85% G, +42% xG (or expressed in percentage of goals allowed, 55% G, 71% xG)
Friedel: -12% G, -6% xG (or expressed in percentage of goals allowed, 112% G, 106% xG)

Is that clear? I couldn't figure out the clearest way of expressing the concept, so I tried two different ones. Takeaway point is that Spurs have played as an elite defense with Lloris in goal. Projected over a full season, they'd be the best or second best defense in the premiership, only really challenged by City. You'd want to incorporate significant regression if you were doing a statistical projection based on splits in a sample of 25 games, but these results do back up the observations of many Spurs fans (and of Michael Cox) that Lloris makes this defense tick.
   603. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: February 09, 2013 at 07:04 PM (#4366244)
BOLTON THINK FACTORY

David Ngog (remember him?) scores in win over hated rivals Burnley. Hey, Owen Coyle may have got you promoted, and then quit and left for us, and then got us relegated, but, you know, at least Bolton isn't a BNP stronghold.
   604. SuperGrover Posted: February 09, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4366249)
What was Barry even attempting to do there? You can see even on that GIF that he drops his head and starts walking away before the ball even crosses the line.

He was trying to side foot it out for a goal kick because he had no idea who was behind him (nice communication in the backline I am sure). He did about as well as I would have.

BTW, he also screwed up on the first goal. And Joe Hart let the second go right through the wickets. City were just all kinds of awful today.

Only guy who showed up was Zabaletta.
   605. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: February 09, 2013 at 07:38 PM (#4366261)
I was thinking as the game progressed that every time I see Zabaleta I'm more and more impressed with him. He isn't flashy but he seems to always be in the right place.

City were awful today that's for sure. As bad as the goals were I think they're response was more troubling. The fact is the score line was richly deserved, Southhampton simply outplayed City.
   606. JuanGone..except1game Posted: February 09, 2013 at 09:46 PM (#4366320)
City were awful today that's for sure. As bad as the goals were I think they're response was more troubling. The fact is the score line was richly deserved, Southhampton simply outplayed City.

Just watched the match and you have to commend Southhampton's board. Pochettino was an inspired hire and whilst I thought Nigel was a good manager, Pochettino has that team playing a class above (including what should have been a draw with ManU). That high line pressing reminded me of AVB at his best at Porto and it frustrated the crap out of City. Unfortunately, I don't think that he's going to be with the Saints for long.
   607. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: February 09, 2013 at 09:52 PM (#4366325)
Random Stupid Thoughts (after watching Napoli v Lazio):

If this was an 80's movie, Hamsik is SO totally Bale's evil, douchey twin ...

Walter Mazzarri ... if Dustin Hoffman ate Alec Baldwin ...

Hugo Campagnaro ... jesus jumping christ on a teeny tiny pogo stick ... that was a FANTASTIC strike!
   608. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM (#4366415)
Carlton Cole on for Mark Noble in the Villa/Hammers match (which has been active, but almost entirely free of skill). West Ham trying out the 4-4-2 double donkey striker formation.

Nice free kick by N'Zogbia. Benteke with Weimann and N'Zogbia in support is actually a non-terrible forward corps. Certainly better than West Ham's - Carroll has been his typical hard-working version of awful, Nolan has been anonymous, and poor Joe Cole has had nothing to work with.
   609. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM (#4366419)
That's maybe the perfect West Ham goal for this game. Joe Cole on the ball, looking to create a chance, practically no movement in front of him, he tries something, and Villa produces a goal against themselves by accident.
   610. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM (#4366451)
Glad I was sleeping off last night's booze instead of watching West Ham. Ugh.
   611. Swedish Chef Posted: February 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM (#4366455)
Good to see that Villa can win with only a two-goal lead.

Man U-Everton is pretty much the title decider, twelve points is too much.
   612. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM (#4366459)
Glad I was sleeping off last night's booze instead of watching West Ham. Ugh.

I watched for you! It was not good.

Simon Dawkins looked ok but I think he was a bit over-excited and had trouble keeping up with his feet. Say what you want about Darren Bent, but he put in max effort when he came on. Overall it was an ugly game, though.
   613. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM (#4366477)
Ryan Giggs statistic I saw on the internets - Manchester United has been playing league football in England for as long as there has been league football, a total of 4,353 games. Ryan Giggs has played in 15% of those games.
   614. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM (#4366478)
Ryan Giggs statistic I saw on the internets - Manchester United has been playing league football in England for as long as there has been league football, a total of 4,353 games. Ryan Giggs has played in 15% of those games.
I'm surprised it's that low. I'm beginning to think Ryan Giggs is like Kenneth Parcell and some day my great, great grandchildren will be watching him play for United.
   615. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM (#4366483)
So assuming United hold on to a two-goal lead at home, they'll be 12 points clear. Only Serie A has a relatively close title race among the 4 major leagues.
   616. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM (#4366484)
Playing that high a line against Van Persie, with passers like Rooney and Giggs playing behind him, is kind of stupid dangerous.

I like what Fergie has done with his team selection. Giggs is something of a luxury player now, but he's surrounded with tough, hard-working midfielders who can cover his deficiencies. Jones is taking Fellaini out of the game like he did against Bale at WHL. Everton should have an advantage in midfield with Jones playing so deep and Giggs, well, trying his hardest, but Rooney is doing an excellent defensive job and Gibson and Neville aren't exactly going to break anyone down.
   617. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM (#4366494)
So assuming United hold on to a two-goal lead at home, they'll be 12 points clear. Only Serie A has a relatively close title race among the 4 major leagues.

This really could be the most anti-climactic Bundesliga season in history. Bayern 15 clear at the top. 6 point gap between 4 and 5 for CL. 8 point gap between 15 and 16 for relegation (9 points if Düsseldorf get anything against FC Shooty).

The "races", such as they are barring an act of god, are for the 2 Europa spots, who of Hoffenheim and Augsburg go straight down, and who gets a playoff game, and which of Dortmund, Leverkusen, and Frankfurt has to go through CL qualification.
   618. frannyzoo Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM (#4366497)
FPH: You think Dortmund have much of a shot against Shakhtar? I know we all know pretty much nothing about the Ukranians, but they sure looked good in Group play and Dortmund could really be up against it in this first leg. Dortmund's defense hasn't been nearly up to the standard you'd think given the names on that backline.
   619. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM (#4366499)
The "races", such as they are barring an act of god
Eintracht Frankfurt have six points on 5th, but this is a club who spent their last two seasons in the lower divisions, and who don't appear to have a single player on their squad that I've heard of. There has to be a reasonably good chance they'll drop a few extra points before the end of the year, right? (What is the Eintracht Frankfurt story this year, anyway?)
   620. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM (#4366502)
You think Dortmund have much of a shot against Shakhtar?
Dortmund won the group of death. This seems a bit dramatic.
   621. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM (#4366514)
Eintracht Frankfurt have six points on 5th, but this is a club who spent their last two seasons in the lower divisions, and who don't appear to have a single player on their squad that I've heard of. There has to be a reasonably good chance they'll drop a few extra points before the end of the year, right? (What is the Eintracht Frankfurt story this year, anyway?)

You haven't heard of Carlos Zambrano. For shame.

Sure it's entirely possible they blow it. But Frankfurt have been legit this year. They have the 4th best GD in the league. And more importantly, I don't see anybody else stepping up and making a run at them, now that Schalke have decided it would be much more fun to press the self-destruct button, than to win games.
Rode and Schwegler have been 2 of the best players in the league this year. Meier gets goals. They had been thin up top, but picked up Lakic from Wolfsburg at the end of January, who seems to be working out so far (2 games 2 goals). They look to me like the most complete team outside of the top 3 right now.

Edit: Typos and stuff
   622. frannyzoo Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM (#4366515)
I dunno...I'd have to think Shakhtar is favored, or should be (again based mainly on seeing quite a bit of Dortmund and not much of Shakhtar).
   623. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM (#4366516)
Maybe it's a language thing, but to me an at worst mild underdog certainly "has a shot" at winning. That was what I was responding to.

EDIT: And based only on watching CL games, I'd definitely take Dortmund over Shakhtar (a Willian-less Shakhtar at that), though no doubt Shakhtar has a good shot. It's an exciting matchup.
   624. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM (#4366517)
You think Dortmund have much of a shot against Shakhtar?

Dortmund won the group of death. This seems a bit dramatic.

Yeah, I don't think it will be nearly as easy as some people seem to think (Shakhtar gets no respect from any of the "big league" countries), but I would still call them cautiously favourites. They have shown, if they come to play, they can beat anybody.
   625. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM (#4366522)
FWIW, consensus odds to advance seem to be 2/5 Dortmund, 7/4 Shakhtar. Although I would certainly take those odds on Shakhtar, as I said they get no respect.

Edit: In fact, now I have. I am such a traitor.
   626. JuanGone..except1game Posted: February 10, 2013 at 01:08 PM (#4366531)
FWIW, consensus odds to advance seem to be 2/5 Dortmund, 7/4 Shakhtar. Although I would certainly take those odds on Shakhtar, as I said they get no respect.

Completely agree. Shakhtar made me a believer. Chelsea were easily playing in their best form of the season and Shakhtar's pace was overwhelming. Same against Juve, though the last match Shakthar sat back to not lose their place in the group. I think people are overrating Dortmund based upon the last few years and underrating Shakhtar based upon name.
   627. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 01:09 PM (#4366532)
Champions League betting odds...

1/6 Juventus
7/2 Celtic

8/15 PSG
6/4 Valencia

4/7 Real Madrid
5/4 Manchester United

4/9 Dortmund
7/4 Shakhtar

3/10 Bayern
5/2 Arsenal

5/6 Porto
1/1 Malaga

1/8 Barcelona
5/1 AC Milan

4/7 Schalke
6/4 Galatasaray

Nothing that looks terribly appealing. Shakhtar probably being underrated as those above say. Maybe the Galatasaracticos over apparently imploding Schalke.
   628. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 10, 2013 at 01:15 PM (#4366533)
Since I have nothing better to do anyway. Odds to advance for the next round of the CL.
Juventus  1/5  Celtic      9/2
PSG       4
/7  Valencia    6/4
Real      8
/13 Man Utd     11/8
Shackhtar 7
/4  Dortmund    2/5
Bayern    3
/10 Arsenal     3/1
Porto     9
/10 Malaga      9/10
Barcelona 1
/7  Milan       11/2
Schalke   8
/13 Galatasaray 6/

I like pretty much all the underdogs, except for maybe Valencia.
   629. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 10, 2013 at 01:16 PM (#4366535)
Great, now I owe a coke. Silly me for making pretty formatting.
   630. DA Baracus Posted: February 10, 2013 at 01:19 PM (#4366536)
FWIW, Shakthar sold Willian last month. He was (well, still is) their leading scorer in Champions League.
   631. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: February 10, 2013 at 01:57 PM (#4366554)
I think people are overrating Dortmund based upon the last few years and underrating Shakhtar based upon name.

Not for me. I don't see much of Dortmund, but they were extremely impressive in the group stages -- had that great combination of being able to hold the ball when need be while being absolutely devastating on the counter. And while Madrid and City have shown that they have issues, you'd still probably have to put both as top eight(ish) clubs in the world. Whether it's smart to weigh a handful of games from a few months ago more than current form is another question entirely.
   632. frannyzoo Posted: February 10, 2013 at 02:13 PM (#4366558)
Hard to see Burkina Faso cutting into this now, but I'd like them to. Great pass-to-self/volley from Mba there. I don't know if that was 100% the intention when he popped the ball up, but it sure looked great in the finish.
   633. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 02:15 PM (#4366560)
On replay, I'm pretty sure Mba meant to do that. Cool.
   634. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 10, 2013 at 02:26 PM (#4366563)
A note on the Nigerian team. Their only starters above the age of 25 are Uche and Enyeama. This could be a quality side in the World Cup in a year and a half.
   635. frannyzoo Posted: February 10, 2013 at 02:30 PM (#4366566)
I know Bielsa is supposed to be a genius and all, but how long is Bilbao gonna put up with this? I'm not watching, but they are gettin' thrashed at home by the other team from Barcelona.

Oh...and while I'm spouting stupidity, I'm calling a Chievo win today at the San Siro. Inter seems to have already entered their latest version of "Crisis" from what I've seen lately. Give me Chievo 2-1 at 19.00 according to Bet365 right now. As I live in Puritanical America and am overly law-abiding, this is merely a hypothetical wager.
   636. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 10, 2013 at 02:39 PM (#4366568)
Those seem like appealing odds on Arsenal, but maybe it's just me.
   637. frannyzoo Posted: February 10, 2013 at 02:53 PM (#4366573)
Maybe letting Sorrentino leave wasn't such a good idea, Chievo.
   638. ursus arctos Posted: February 10, 2013 at 02:58 PM (#4366576)
Well, you needed an Inter goal for your score prediction to come through.
   639. SuperGrover Posted: February 10, 2013 at 03:08 PM (#4366584)
Those seem like appealing odds on Arsenal, but maybe it's just me.

I just haven't seen Arsenal play well enough against quality opposition to think they can beat Bayern. You are getting the third biggest odds in the round though so maybe it's worth a shot.
   640. ursus arctos Posted: February 10, 2013 at 03:10 PM (#4366587)
And there's one for Chievo
   641. JuanGone..except1game Posted: February 10, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4366620)
A note on the Nigerian team. Their only starters above the age of 25 are Uche and Enyeama. This could be a quality side in the World Cup in a year and a half.

Great win for Nigeria. There a quality side with some real talent. They've done a good job of grooming talent in their country, and I think that it will pay off come WC.
   642. ursus arctos Posted: February 11, 2013 at 06:59 AM (#4366901)
Football managers mentioned as papal candidates this morning: Guardiola, Mourinho, Benitez, Neil Lennon, Tony Parkes, Phil Brown.

Pray for us.
   643. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 11, 2013 at 07:34 AM (#4366904)
Football managers mentioned as papal candidates this morning: Guardiola, Mourinho, Benitez, Neil Lennon, Tony Parkes, Phil Brown.

Pray for us.

You know, when I read this, I just assumed he was dead. I didn't even know you could resign from being Pope.
   644. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 11, 2013 at 07:40 AM (#4366905)
Read on the internets...

Peter Odemwingie has been sighted in the Vatican carpark.
   645. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:03 AM (#4366912)
You know, when I read this, I just assumed he was dead. I didn't even know you could resign from being Pope.

I had the same reaction. It's not easy damning all those masterbators!

(sorry)
   646. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:15 AM (#4366919)
Sepp Blatter for pope?

Your morning Sepp Blatter moment. Damn it, these reformers actually want us to reform!
   647. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:22 AM (#4366920)
Roberto Mancini is so angry...

He's going to make changes to the squad that will face Leeds on Saturday. Grrr!
   648. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:26 AM (#4366923)
Would the appropriate term be "His Holiness Sir Alex" or "Sir Holiness Alex"
   649. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:30 AM (#4366930)
I don't think he's Catholic.
   650. frannyzoo Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:36 AM (#4366933)
Why is "Robbie" Mancini still managing Manchester City? He can't even do the Jose "fixture schedule" excuse right. And no CL. And no Europa. He's playing Leeds and Strømsgodset over the next few days. The less noisy neighbors are playing Real Madrid. Robbie should probably shut up about now. Or go coach Inter (see above).
   651. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:43 AM (#4366935)
Why is "Robbie" Mancini still managing Manchester City? He can't even do the Jose "fixture schedule" excuse right. And no CL. And no Europa. He's playing Leeds and Strømsgodset over the next few days. The less noisy neighbors are playing Real Madrid. Robbie should probably shut up about now. Or go coach Inter (see above).

He is a bit of a whiner. My squad is thin! Other clubs want too much money for their players! There are too many fixtures! Blah blah blah. I guess most PL managers are either whiny or delusional, though. Big Sam claims West Ham dominated Aston Villa and, if you count the last 2 minutes of extra time in the second half the true measure of the game, I guess he's right. Alan Pardew has a temper tantrum because AVB wandered off into the dimensions of immensity without shaking his hand. Etc etc etc.
   652. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:52 AM (#4366938)
I don't know how I would react to this

But I make a mistake. I stand up to applaud Agirretxe's goal. It's not a fist-pumping sort of celebration at all - I'm not that stupid, and neither is it accompanied by any woo-hoo hollering. I just clap a few times and sit down. I'm happy. That's when it happens. My grey scarf, wrapping me up against the Aragon cold, is suddenly grabbed from behind my neck and pulled upwards violently, making it into a sort of noose, forcing me to stand up. Turning round and expecting to see some skinhead assailant, I find myself staring at a 60-something grey haired gentleman, with the tired looks of an ageing history professor. I pull my scarf back down, just before the noose throttles me and attempt to gasp something out, but he howls me down: Estas provocando, cabrón! (You're provoking us, b*****d!) he informs me, purple-faced with rage. Si aplaudes otra vez, te mato! (If you applaud again, I'll kill you!) he adds, jabbing his finger at my nose.

I would either be shocked and do nothing or just see red and do something stupid.
   653. Mattbert Posted: February 11, 2013 at 09:16 AM (#4366944)
Opta feeling a little cheeky this morning:
@OptaJoe: 25 - Port Vale's Tom Pope has scored more league goals than any player in the top 4 divisions this season but none in his last three. Tired.
   654. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 09:20 AM (#4366945)
Opta needs a dispensation for that joke..
   655. Mattbert Posted: February 11, 2013 at 09:25 AM (#4366946)
Svennis would listen if the Vatican called...
   656. Swedish Chef Posted: February 11, 2013 at 09:30 AM (#4366948)
Svennis would listen if the Vatican called...

It wouldn't go far, I don't think the celibacy is negotiable.
   657. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 09:52 AM (#4366959)
   658. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM (#4366962)
Zonalmarking suprisingly writes up Tottenham-Newcastle

Tottenham’s only problem is an over-reliance upon Bale, especially as sides are using multiple players to try and stop him. As opponents increasingly stay deep, Tottenham will need more players capable of breaking down a packed defence, which doesn’t seem their speciality in recent weeks.

Clearly Michael Cox lurks SPURS THINK FACTORY.
   659. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: February 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM (#4367004)

Would the appropriate term be "His Holiness Sir Alex" or "Sir Holiness Alex"

Usually they change their names to something else. Pope Cloughy II.
   660. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4367133)
Tom Pope scored 5 in 41 last season and has 25 in 31 this season. That's pretty crazy.
   661. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 02:24 PM (#4367158)
We need to have a Kinsale's meet up soon

So you can all watch me punch David Hirshey in the face.
   662. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 02:39 PM (#4367169)
Roberto Mancini is so angry...

He's going to make changes to the squad that will face Leeds on Saturday. Grrr!

He really is pretty awful.
   663. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 02:53 PM (#4367185)
Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, José Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Downing, Shelvey, Suarez.
Subs: Jones, Coutinho, Allen, Borini, Sterling, Skrtel, Wisdom.

West Brom: Foster, Reid, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell, Yacob, Mulumbu, Dorrans, Morrison, Brunt, Long.
Subs: Myhill, Rosenberg, Lukaku, Jones, Tamas, Fortune, Thomas.

Teams! I think it's a mistake for West Brom not to play Lukaku. He's exactly the kind of player Liverpool's defense struggles against. I'm assuming Sturridge is out injured.
   664. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4367199)
Is that a new sponsor for Liverpool? Have Standard Chartered been shamed into a lower profile or something?
   665. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:07 PM (#4367212)
Is that a new sponsor for Liverpool? Have Standard Chartered been shamed into a lower profile or something?

It's the Standard Chareterd charity for blindness. Referees were not immediately available for comment.
   666. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:15 PM (#4367219)
What would it take for Levy to say yes to a Bale bid? I'd rather him stay at Spurs (because I don't get La Liga on TV), but does 60M pounds get it done? I know the Spurs faction here says no amount of money is enough, but United did sell Ronaldo.
   667. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:16 PM (#4367221)
What would it take for Levy to say yes to a Bale bid? I'd rather him stay at Spurs (because I don't get La Liga on TV), but does 60M pounds get it done?

Yes.
   668. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4367225)
60 million pounds would do it. Spurs fans aren't completely removed from reality. I'm still going to punch Hirshey in the face.
   669. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM (#4367229)
A goal is coming for Liverpool...
   670. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:37 PM (#4367241)
Still coming...
   671. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:41 PM (#4367244)
Almost the own goal of the season. Gareth Barry is very disappointed that went over the bar.
   672. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 03:47 PM (#4367249)
Ahem...still coming? They SHOULD have scored, dammit.
   673. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 11, 2013 at 04:31 PM (#4367266)
Its amazing how much different Liverpool looks with a decent striker. They are missing Daniel Sturridge big time.
   674. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 11, 2013 at 04:33 PM (#4367269)
Wow. How does Luis Suarez, of all people, get that penalty call?

And justice with the save.
   675. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 11, 2013 at 04:38 PM (#4367275)
LOL - Liverpool gives one up.
   676. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 11, 2013 at 04:48 PM (#4367281)
I am not looking forward to Lukaku on Chelsea.
   677. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 11, 2013 at 04:57 PM (#4367291)
I think Roman is just going to buy a shiny new Falcao or Cavani (or whomever). I think Lukaku wants to stay at West Brom, right?
   678. DA Baracus Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:09 PM (#4367299)
Liverpool is 0-7-7 vs teams in the top half of the table. FWIW, Suarez has played in all 14 and has 4 goals in those games. In 11 games vs the bottom half of the table, he has 13 goals.
   679. JuanGone..except1game Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:12 PM (#4367302)
I think Roman is just going to buy a shiny new Falcao or Cavani (or whomever). I think Lukaku wants to stay at West Brom, right?

I am so hoping that Roman doesn't F this up. Chelsea fans have been sweating about some of his strong remarks about Brom, but just last week he talked of being a Chelsea legend. It just makes no sense for us to buy another striker for next season. Ba should get first preference at least for the start of the season, but Lukaku should come in as a strong 2 with Torres relegated to the bench or for the Capital One Cup. Falcoa money (or parts of it) need to be spent shoring up that leaky midfield.
   680. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:28 PM (#4367309)
Its amazing how much different Liverpool looks with a decent striker. They are missing Daniel Sturridge big time.

Jonjo Shelvey is really awful. I have no idea how he got an England cap, nor do I understand why Rodgers keeps running him out there. He brings nothing to the table. He should have started Borini up top.

Liverpool were all kinds of awful today. I hope Glenn Johnson was stoned was putrid. Enrique wasn't much better on the opposite side. West Brom packed the middle of the pitch, daring the 'Pool FBs and wingers from making something happen. They couldn't.

Downing was pretty good and Suarez was poor for him but still showed good movement. The rest of the group was a joke.

One wonders how this team responds in Russia without Sturridge again.
   681. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:33 PM (#4367313)
I am so hoping that Roman doesn't F this up. Chelsea fans have been sweating about some of his strong remarks about Brom, but just last week he talked of being a Chelsea legend. It just makes no sense for us to buy another striker for next season. Ba should get first preference at least for the start of the season, but Lukaku should come in as a strong 2 with Torres relegated to the bench or for the Capital One Cup. Falcoa money (or parts of it) need to be spent shoring up that leaky midfield.

And a central defender no? One would think Fellaini is first option for the midfield.

Lukaku is a monster. And he's not just scoring as a sub when the opposition is gassed. He scores when he starts too.
   682. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:35 PM (#4367318)
I think Lukaku wants to stay at West Brom, right?

I am sure he prefers Chelsea if he gets playing time. Who wouldn't?
   683. DA Baracus Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:46 PM (#4367327)
I am sure he prefers Chelsea if he gets playing time. Who wouldn't?

While I agree with you, knowing that Torres will get a lot of playing time regardless of production; and the ever changing managers there, which means the tactics and your playing time can dramatically change because someone new comes in, you can understand why someone would not prefer to go there. Yeah, the money trumps a lot of stuff and players' egos generally overlook the reality of situations. I have no idea if Lukaku does, but not every player thinks like that.
   684. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:48 PM (#4367329)
Wha' happened? When I left the office Liverpool were dominating. The only thing holding them back was Enrique and Shelvey were pants in the first half.
   685. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:50 PM (#4367330)
It doesn't really matter what Lukaku wants as he's under contract. He'll be back with Chelsea next year or I'll eat all my poseur soccer shirts.
   686. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 05:56 PM (#4367334)
Wha' happened? When I left the office Liverpool were dominating. The only thing holding them back was Enrique and Shelvey were pants in the first half.

And Johnson. Don't forget the Glenn Johnson experience.

Well, Liverpool kept controlling the ball but West Brom kept their shape and forced Liverpool to break them down. They couldn't. Agger missed two free headers and Foster mad e a couple good saves. Oh and he stopped a fairly well taken penalty (not great, but not terrible either). The penalty was soft so that was somewhat deserved.

West Brom scored on their second shot of the game as Agger couldn't mark McAuley. Then Lukaku came on and ate the Pool backline alive for about ten minutes, scoring on the break. That was that.
   687. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 06:04 PM (#4367338)
BTW, if you are not a Liverpool fan, reading their boards after a loss can be quite a hoot.
   688. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4367341)
Then Lukaku came on and ate the Pool backline alive for about ten minutes, scoring on the break. That was that.

Well, yeah, Lukaku. I had a feeling Liverpool couldn't handle him. You need big, physical CB's to keep him in check which Liverpool don't have. Spurs have that in spades and he's still a handful for them.

Was the penalty a dive? The intertubes consensus seems to be he dived but I have no basis to judge.
   689. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 11, 2013 at 06:10 PM (#4367344)
BTW, if you are not a Liverpool fan, reading their boards after a loss can be quite a hoot.

To be fair, I don't think that's isolated to Liverpool boards. I'm sure Rodgers' name is mud tonight though he was the next Clough last week...
   690. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 06:13 PM (#4367349)
Well, yeah, Lukaku. I had a feeling Liverpool couldn't handle him. You need big, physical CB's to keep him in check which Liverpool don't have. Spurs have that in spades and he's still a handful for them.

Was the penalty a dive? The intertubes consensus seems to be he dived but I have no basis to judge.

1. Yes Lukaku was not handled, but Clarke did his usual against top clubs and played Long instead. No idea why as their game plan required someone who could win a damn header and Long ain't it. Lukaku did his damage late when subbed on.

2. No it wasn't a dive. He fell legitimately it just wasn't a foul. Both going up for a header and McAuley or Olsson pushed him in the back a bit. Nothing you don't see a dozen times a game. Wasn't a penalty though.
   691. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4367350)
To be fair, I don't think that's isolated to Liverpool boards.

Yeah but they have a special sense of agony about them. And the profanity, oh the profanity...
   692. frannyzoo Posted: February 11, 2013 at 08:47 PM (#4367446)
My Top Five Schadenfreude Message Boards:

1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
2. Rangers FC
3. Roma (the old one before it moved to abomiNation)
4. Any DFW newspaper live chat for a Cowboys game
5. Liverpool FC

Honorable Mention: Hinckley United. I've been following this one for a few months now and it's just achingly beautiful, sad, wistful, you name it...

oh...and I forgot!

1 (with a bullet): Replacement Level Yankees....http://www.rlyw.net/ LOVE going here when the Yanks drop more than two in a row...
   693. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 11, 2013 at 09:24 PM (#4367487)
Honorable Mention: Hinckley United. I've been following this one for a few months now and it's just achingly beautiful, sad, wistful, you name it...

Wow. Their record is 1-1-25 but they only officially have one point because of a three point deduction. They have a goal difference of -80.
   694. Mefisto Posted: February 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM (#4367531)
If the LFC fans are blaming Rodgers for anything other than the team roster, they're insane. Without someone to pair with Suarez, that team can take a million shots per game and count themselves lucky if they score one. Sturridge ought to ask them to double his salary after this reminder of how bad they can be while putting up a good stat line.
   695. Mattbert Posted: February 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM (#4367565)
So you can all watch me punch David Hirshey in the face.

Do you think if we forcibly shaved his mustache during the NLD that he'd magically become less obnoxious, sort of like Samson?
   696. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM (#4367567)
If the LFC fans are blaming Rodgers for anything other than the team roster, they're insane.

He didn't have to start Shelvey. He could have moved Henderson inside and played Sterling at the wing. Or tried Borini who has been terrible but at least may have some skill.

Shelvey touched the ball 25 times in the opponent's half today...Lucas touched it 36. Keep in mind Shelvey is playing off Suarez and Liverpool had 50% more possession in the opposition's half.

Liverpool's roster is poor but some of his selections have been puzzling to say the least.
   697. SuperGrover Posted: February 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM (#4367568)
My Top Five Schadenfreude Message Boards:

1. Nebraska Cornhuskers

I'm a Husker and the boards are pretty hilarious. A mixture of delusion and depression with a hint of nostalagia for the halcyon days of yesteryear. Basically, it's like Pool forums without the profanity.
   698. Mefisto Posted: February 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM (#4367589)
He didn't have to start Shelvey. He could have moved Henderson inside and played Sterling at the wing.

Ok, that's fair enough. They still probably wouldn't have scored, but he should at least give Sterling the chance to prove he can't play rather than someone who's already done that.
   699. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 12, 2013 at 07:35 AM (#4367640)
Do you think if we forcibly shaved his mustache during the NLD that he'd magically become less obnoxious, sort of like Samson?
Shooty and Mattbert: The Two-Man Spurs Firm! Terrorizing the Pubs of North London the Upper East Side of Manhattan!
   700. Mattbert Posted: February 12, 2013 at 09:17 AM (#4367665)
Shooty and Mattbert: The Two-Man Spurs Firm! Terrorizing the Pubs of North London the Upper East Side of Manhattan!

Don't forget MCOA. He has crazy eyes!
Page 7 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.