Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 01, 2013

OT: The Soccer Thread: February 2013

Well, it was on time last month!

RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 01, 2013 at 11:59 AM | 1499 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›
   801. Mefisto Posted: February 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM (#4369250)
The attack would look even better if we had Little in our midfield.
   802. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:23 AM (#4369324)
That was a fun day of soccer. Two pretty exciting games, and I'm satisfied with the Dortmund result.
- Gus Johnson really is obnoxious. Each time the ball would enter the penalty area or the goaltender touched the ball, Johnson's voice would rise to 11. Not a fan of his.
- Dortmund was definitely missing Gundogan's passing ability, but Kehl & Bender played well enough, stifling Shakhtar's counter-attacks.
- I'll be really glad to see Subotic & Gundogan back in the lineup for the return leg. Hopefully the rest of the team stays healthy until then.

While I should be looking for jobs tomorrow, I think I'll watch a Europa League doubleheader instead. Not sure which games to watch though. Any suggestions?
   803. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 08:20 AM (#4369342)
While I should be looking for jobs tomorrow, I think I'll watch a Europa League doubleheader instead. Not sure which games to watch though. Any suggestions?

At the risk of being a homer, I think Zenit-Liverpool and then Spurs-Lyon are the games of the day. Napoli, Chelsea, Inter and other big clubs are also playing, but I think the two I mentioned are the best matchups. Liverpool and Spurs don't play this weekend, either, so they should both field their strongest teams.

Speaking of Spurs and Lyon--the last time Spurs faced Lyon.
   804. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 08:50 AM (#4369349)
Spurs-Lyon is also a matchup of the #4 club in the EPL against the #2 club in Ligue Un. So there's objective stuff to back up the homerism. AVB should put out a pretty much first-choice side. Though reportedly he'll be rotating in Brad Friedel, which both denies the game of its most obvious narrative, Lloris returing to Lyon, and it may really hurt Spurs quality of play, as Lloris' quick-off-his-line sweeper role enables the club's pressing style, and Friedel sticks to his line more diligently than almost any keeper in the world.

Napoli facing Victoria Plzen could be interesting - I know absolutely nothing about the Czech club, but they're currently topping the Liga Gambrinus and they won their Europa League group with 13 points including a home victory over Atletico Madrid. (Their semi-helpful wikipedia entry is composed in adorably broken English.) And Napoli is an excellent side with loads of fun players.

You also have the option of watching Falcao. Rubin Kazan are pretty boring though, based on watching two of their games last year. Bayer Leverkusen - Benfica should be a good tie, given the status of both clubs, but I don't know much about them beyond a few names of good players. And Zenit-Liverpool as Shooty said.
   805. jmurph Posted: February 14, 2013 at 09:04 AM (#4369355)
I'm surprised to see no mention of Phil Jones, who I think was lucky to still be on the field by the end. He committed multiple card-worthy challenges, including the obvious penalty late in the first half that wasn't given (hard to claim that was a shoulder to shoulder when he extended his arm the way he did).

That said, United's defense was surprisingly impressive. That's a great result for them.
   806. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 09:05 AM (#4369357)
Also, I think Gus Johnson's NCAA Tournament style of announcing will take some getting used to. I think I prefer the understated British approach.

Speaking of that game, I thought it was a great result for Man U since RVP and Rooney weren't all that good and I wasn't impressed by Evra or Rafael, either. And I wonder if Fergie just told Phil Jones to get out there and kick everyone in sight? That's as physical as I've ever seen him play. Finally, Sergio Ramos really is a piece of ####. Is he so handsome that anyone who comes near his precious, precious face gets a yellow?

edit: Great minds and all jmurph!
   807. jmurph Posted: February 14, 2013 at 09:33 AM (#4369372)
And I wonder if Fergie just told Phil Jones to get out there and kick everyone in sight?

Him waving at... I forget the player... to get up after Jones had just knocked him to the ground (uncalled, naturally) was particularly fun.
   808. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 09:41 AM (#4369374)
I'm listening to the Men in Blazers podcast now and they have Gus Johnson on talking about how he needs to learn to talk less and let the ambient noise do more work. So at least he knows what he has to change about his style.
   809. jmurph Posted: February 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM (#4369402)
I'm listening to the Men in Blazers podcast now

Has that improved at all? I tried a couple last year and the one guy was just doing constant shtick, like rehearsed, pre-written one-liner after one-liner that didn't make me laugh. I couldn't deal with it.
   810. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM (#4369407)
Has that improved at all? I tried a couple last year and the one guy was just doing constant shtick, like rehearsed, pre-written one-liner after one-liner that didn't make me laugh. I couldn't deal with it.

I don't know, all the soccer podcasts sound the same to me, tbh. Everything is covered superficially and everyone tries to be jokey. Even when The Guardian have Michael Cox on they don't give him space to say anything interesting as James Richardson is terrified he will bore everyone. It's just something to listen to while I plug away at work. Confessions time: I only listen to podcasts if Spur won that weekend. It is my shameful secret...
   811. jmurph Posted: February 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM (#4369415)
Eh, that's fair. I like the Guardian guys, and they rotate them enough so I don't get sick of anyone in particular.
   812. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: February 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM (#4369441)
I've gotten in the habit of going for a walk at lunch everyday, about 25-35 minutes depending, and I find the FW podcast to be pretty entertaining to listen to. I'm not looking for dramatic insight, just a bit of fun and a general update on what's happening in the soccer universe.
   813. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM (#4369443)
That was Gus Johnson's first European soccer match. He obviously did his homework and I don't think he did that bad of a job. Probably talked too much and needs to work on his flow. His over-excitement is his schtick but it sounds like he's willing to tone it down. I'd prefer a Ian Darke - Gary Neville partnership but its not going to happen.

De Gea was the best player on the pitch yesterday. I'm surprised Madrid didn't run with the ball more. Every time a Madrid player would dribble in or near the box United defenders would be too scared to try and tackle (other than Jones). You would think Madrid would be able to exploit De Gea weakness on crosses (12 corners, several other free kicks) but apparently Madrid has been terrible on set pieces all season and obviously they gave up the goal on a corner.

814. zack Posted: February 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM (#4369463)
Speaking on announcing, are the UEFA games broadcast and then the local announcing added remotely? Or do they have control of the cameras? Because on Hummels' goal the announcer didn't even raise his voice until the ball had been in the net for a good second.
   815. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM (#4369470)
There's virtually always a home broadcaster who supplies the feed for everyone. Localized commentary can be added either from the stadium or a studio in the home country (generally depending on how rich the home country is).
   816. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM (#4369546)
Weirdly, there's a lot of bluster today about whether Spurs should let William Gallas leave the club in June. Of course they should let him leave in June! He'll be 36 next season and Spurs have Dawson/Vertonghen/Caulker/Kaboul. How is it even a question?

Only in Serie A...
   817. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM (#4369553)
Both teams are not screwing around. Probably wise for Liverpool to give Lucas a breather, though. I'm surprised Rodgers doesn't trust Borini to fill in for Sturridge as Liverpool look much better when Suarez has a partner up top.

Zenit St Petersburg: Malafeev, Aniukov, Luis Neto, Lombaerts,
Hubocan, Shirokov, Denisov, Witsel, Hulk, Kerzhakov, Danny.

Subs: Zhevnov, Faitzulin, Rodic, Lukovic, Semak, Djordjevic,
Evseev.

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Jose Enrique,
Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Downing, Suarez, Sterling.

Subs: Jones, Coates, Lucas, Borini, Suso, Shelvey, Wisdom.
   818. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM (#4369560)
Has the Russian league been on break like the Ukrainian league? As much as I love watching Liverpool squander chance after chance - not sure I want to watch them on a stream.
   819. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:03 PM (#4369565)
Suarez almost opens the scoring. Might have done better there.

The Zenit chanting sounds like they are trying to relate something vaguely religious and threatening. It's more of a reading than a song.
   820. Swedish Chef Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:11 PM (#4369572)
Has the Russian league been on break like the Ukrainian league?

They have a four-month break, I don't know which idiot thought it was a good idea to play football in Russia until the middle of December, though.
   821. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:12 PM (#4369573)
I don't know which idiot thought it was a good idea to play football in Russia until the middle of December

First name rhymes with Pep, last name rhymes with splatter...
   822. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:19 PM (#4369574)
I would have put a large amount of money on Suarez scoring there.
   823. Swedish Chef Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:21 PM (#4369578)
Now that I look it up I see that they have only a three month break and start again in the middle of March.

I wonder how they handled things when Sibir Novosibirsk played in the highest division.
   824. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:27 PM (#4369580)
Suarez really should play for Juventus.
   825. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:40 PM (#4369588)
Suarez is back to profligate Suarez.
   826. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 01:42 PM (#4369589)
Suarez is back to profligate Suarez.

He's the only one creating anything, though. But, yeah, that's 3 great chances he's missed now.
   827. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:02 PM (#4369611)
Last season was the first time the Russian league tried to operate on a "European" schedule with a winter break. It used to go from March to November.
   828. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:10 PM (#4369626)
I've decided to go with BATE v. Fenerbahce for the first game because why not. And Raul Meireles has just been given a red card.
   829. Topher Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:18 PM (#4369639)
For a debut, I thought Gus Johnson did well. Grading on a curve I give him a B or B-. He didn't add anything to the game, but he also didn't subtract much and I was fearing he would. I still question if he's the right guy to be the "American" voice of soccer. But I think he did well enough that he might develop into something ok. If nothing else, he clearly had done his homework and that is something that never could be said for Dave O'Brien. When I stop grading on a curve, I'm not sure he'll ever be higher than a C. But I think yesterday was a good first effort.

The one thing that I really don't understand is pairing Gus with Warren Barton. The entire point of the Gus experiment is to create an American voice for soccer. So you pair him with a Brit? That makes zero sense to me. And that's ignoring the fact that Barton has zero insight to offer in the studio and he's seemed to be even worse having to offer color from the booth. Why not Wynalda or McBride? Did either turn down the gig because of travel requirements? I thought yesterday's match was fascinating from a tactical perspective and I thought Barton did next to nothing in pointing any of that out to the audience.

With regards to Phil Jones, I don't think he deserved to be sent off, but that is simply because it wasn't carded earlier when he should have been. I do think he would have toned it down once it was necessary to do that, but when you haven't yet been cautioned, there is no reason to not tackle with reckless abandon.
   830. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:27 PM (#4369658)
Hulk smash!

(sorry, couldn't resist)
   831. Textbook Editor Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4369660)
And Raul Meireles has just been given a red card.

3 minutes into the match! Nutso.
   832. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:31 PM (#4369664)
Liverpool need to go after a goal big time now.
   833. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:35 PM (#4369669)
Apart from a few bursts in the first fifteen-or-so minutes (and one break right now where they couldn't get a good shot off), Chelsea aren't doing all that much in Prague. Sparta the only side really going forward and the game is relatively lethargic.
   834. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:36 PM (#4369670)
Yea its a typical Chelsea match.
   835. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 02:44 PM (#4369677)
The one thing that I really don't understand is pairing Gus with Warren Barton. The entire point of the Gus experiment is to create an American voice for soccer. So you pair him with a Brit? That makes zero sense to me. And that's ignoring the fact that Barton has zero insight to offer in the studio and he's seemed to be even worse having to offer color from the booth. Why not Wynalda or McBride?
Well, I think this goes to your point. Barton's bad, but Wynalda and McBride are execrable. I would have no real problem with Fox putting together an American booth, but that doesn't mean they should select random Americans regardless of capacity.

I did also like Johnson. He needs polishing, but he was fun. The ability to express love of the game goes a long way for me.

Zenit seem like they're notably less than the sum of their parts. Liverpool should definitely have a goal or two. Zenit have a lot of talent, but not a lot of organization or clear plans when they go forward.
   836. Topher Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4369699)
Well I think Barton is worse than either so I was thinking either would be an improvement, even if it was marginal. And you'd get the benefit of an "authentic" accent.

Wynalda doesn't do much for me but I think that McBride is pretty good. The problem with McBride (as I see it) is that his cadence is too distracting. He doesn't seem to be able to talk in a smooth, "natural" manner. I'm not sure how much better he can get, although I would assume more practice will at least somewhat improve things. But in terms of offering actual analysis, I think he's way ahead of either McBride or Wynalda.
   837. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4369709)
But in terms of offering actual analysis, I think he's way ahead of either McBride or Wynalda.
I assume you mean Barton or Wynalda. I agree that McBride is on his way to passable in terms of analysis. But as you say, he's quite unpleasant to listen to. I expect announcers to not be bad at announcing.
   838. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:10 PM (#4369711)
For the feature presentation...

Spurs: Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto, Dembele, Parker (c), Lennon, Bale, Dempsey & Adebayor

Lyon: Vercoutre, Lovren, Fofana, Reveillere, Bisevac, Umtiti, Lacazette, Malbranque, Gonalons, Lisandro & Gomis
   839. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:21 PM (#4369728)
So Spurs are resting the CD and keeper but putting in the first team everywhere else (with Adebayor forced because of Defoe)? Don't you need to rotate your midfielders more than your center defenders?

Steed's return to WHL? He played for Spurs, right?

840. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:29 PM (#4369738)
So Spurs are resting the CD and keeper but putting in the first team everywhere else (with Adebayor forced because of Defoe)? Don't you need to rotate your midfielders more than your center defenders?

He's been rotating central defenders all year. Vertonghen is the clear #1 CB and Gallas sees a fair amount of time. Nothing unusual there. Spurs don't play this weekend so there's no reason not to go all out.
   841. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:31 PM (#4369742)
A massive upset brewing in Naples.
   842. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:36 PM (#4369752)
More than just brewing now, Napoli are going to lose to Plzen at home!

edit: I just now realized I made a pun. I assure you it was not intended, but I kinda like it anyway. So there.
   843. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4369758)
Oscar scores 45 seconds after coming on.
   844. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:49 PM (#4369777)
The Italians are never going to get that 4th CL spot back. Napoli down 3 goals at home now.
   845. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 03:58 PM (#4369790)
There was also an attack on Pilzen supporters by the station near the ground. 4 reported injuries, one stabbed.

Another black eye for Serie A.

Excellent 1-0 win for Benfica in Leverkusen; Levante impressive in a 3-0 win over Olympiakos at home.
   846. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:03 PM (#4369796)
There was also an attack on Pilzen supporters by the station near the ground. 4 reported injuries, one stabbed.

UEFA will probably blame it on the science of metallurgy...
   847. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:04 PM (#4369798)
Spurs have rotated midfielders some this year. But this is their only game this week, so AVB is playing his first-choice team.

I would have liked to see Siggy or Holtby in place of Dempsey. He needs rest.
   848. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:13 PM (#4369805)
Rubin 1-0 up within six minutes at Atletico Madrid. Looking like quite the day for Russian clubs.
   849. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:51 PM (#4369834)
Gareth Bale's free kicks are getting Beckham-like. Holy crap.
   850. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:52 PM (#4369836)
The up and down on that kick was unreal. 35 yards?
   851. Howling John Shade Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:54 PM (#4369839)
Gareth Bale's free kicks are getting Beckham-like. Holy crap.

I was going to go with Ronaldo-esque, but yeah.
   852. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:55 PM (#4369841)
The up and down on that kick was unreal. 35 yards?

It's unreal how much he's improved that part of his game. I would say all he does is practice, but he just had a kid...
   853. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 04:59 PM (#4369842)
I gotta say, McBride's been pretty non-terrible on commentary. He's improving.
   854. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 05:03 PM (#4369845)
Bale free kick golazo, for all who missed it.
   855. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 05:03 PM (#4369846)
I don't have the stats to hand, but my sense is that Bale is more successful at free kicks than either Beckham or C Ronaldo.
   856. Howling John Shade Posted: February 14, 2013 at 05:11 PM (#4369852)
That was a true sniper dive.
   857. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 05:20 PM (#4369865)
Wondergoal from Umtiti to equalize at WHL
   858. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 14, 2013 at 05:56 PM (#4369902)
Good god Gareth Bale.
   859. Howling John Shade Posted: February 14, 2013 at 05:56 PM (#4369904)
Wow part 2.
   860. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 05:58 PM (#4369907)
Now I'm pretty sure that Bale is more successful . . .
   861. Howling John Shade Posted: February 14, 2013 at 06:01 PM (#4369912)
If Real ever signs Bale (I have a vague hope that Modric has scared them away from paying big for Tottenham players), it'll be fun watching him and Ronaldo fight over free kicks.
   862. Mefisto Posted: February 14, 2013 at 06:25 PM (#4369938)
Wondergoal from Umtiti to equalize at WHL

That's incredible.
   863. ursus arctos Posted: February 14, 2013 at 06:41 PM (#4369951)
You betcha, Bale scores two direct free kicks and doesn't get goal of the game.

Diego Milito has done his ACL in Inter's 2-0 win against CFR Cluj, and is out for the season.

Gladbach and Lazio play out a crazy 3-3 draw, with late goals and a missed penalty.

Atletico Madrid gives up an injury time goal to Rubin Kazan after their keeper comes up for a free kick at the death, and now have to overcome a 0-2 deficit in the away leg.

864. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: February 14, 2013 at 09:04 PM (#4370033)
I would be so pissed if I were a Spurs fan after that Umtiti goal, that's just unfair.
   865. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 15, 2013 at 08:18 AM (#4370161)
If Real ever signs Bale (I have a vague hope that Modric has scared them away from paying big for Tottenham players), it'll be fun watching him and Ronaldo fight over free kicks.
If we're operating under the assumption that Bale is actually a superior taker of free kicks, I have a feel this would be a similar situation to when A-Rod arrived in New York and his position switch. Actual quality is one thing, but sometimes name value carries the day.
   866. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 15, 2013 at 08:27 AM (#4370164)

I imagine if Real sign Bale it's because they've sold Ronaldo. I'm actually more worried about Bayern swooping in for Bale than Real. I have to say, I get really weary of the announcers saying Spurs HAVE to get CL to keep Bale after every goal he scores. 1. Just let me enjoy the moment 2. No one knows what Bale actually wants. He and his people bring up Spain every summer just before he signs another contract with the club.
   867. Mattbert Posted: February 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM (#4370199)
SPURS THINK FACTORY
I found a good short profile of their new head scout for Europe, Australian David Magrone.
Previously unimaginable that an Australian would be considered for such a role, Magrone – who in his former life as a player agent took teenagers Massimo Luongo and Giancarlo Gallifuoco to Spurs and others to Ipswich Town, Derby County and West Ham United – has now joined White Hart Lane himself.

Magrone, 39, was highly recommended by Spurs football director Tim Sherwood for a position that could see him play a significant part in sculpting the long-term on-field future of the leading London club.

Having also forged close ties with Ajax and its coach Frank De Boer during his numerous years in Europe, Magrone slipped through the net in Australia after being technical director at Premier league St George and Apia Leichhardt.
He has some interesting comments on how tough it is to break into coaching in his home country.
   868. Mattbert Posted: February 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM (#4370203)
It was a bit disconcerting to watch RB play for Lyon against Tottenham last night, I have to say.
   869. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: February 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM (#4370213)
It was a bit disconcerting to watch RB play for Lyon against Tottenham last night, I have to say.
But I still took the time to post here! And you have to admit, it's pretty good that I was Captained.
   870. Mattbert Posted: February 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM (#4370240)
SPURS THINK FACTORY
From the Andre Villas-Boas is the Suavest Dork in England file:

Anticipation and reaction to the first Bale goal: seamless transition from chipmunk to Jose Mourinho Face.

AVB : temporary Europa League advert hoardings :: Arsene Wenger : puffy coat zippers
   871. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM (#4370275)
BLACKBURN THINK FACTORY!

David Bentley is, once again, a Rover.
   872. Mattbert Posted: February 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM (#4370280)
Iain Macintosh on The Hipster Derby: Shakhtar v Dortmund.
To be a football hipster, it's crucial to stay ahead of the trend. In a way, this fixture may have marked the end of Borussia Dortmund's status as a cult favourite. Led by Jurgen Klopp, a lower-league player who fought his way up the ranks, they have three key attributes. They have a large natural support, they play nice football and they boast extremely talented yet relatively unknown players.

But like Ned's Atomic Dustbin's appearance on Top of the Pops in 1991, this Champions League run may be the moment when the hipsters feel the tug of the mainstream, shudder and strike out for less tumultuous waters. Besides, everyone knows who Mario Gotze is now. It's no fun anymore. As we speak, hipsters around the world are seeking out new objects of affection. Word to the wise: Nuremburg's Hiroshi Kiyotake is where it's at.
   873. Mattbert Posted: February 15, 2013 at 01:08 PM (#4370287)
I finally got around to reading that piece on In Bed With Maradona about Spurs and Lyon. Great stuff. As someone who didn't grow up with soccer in the blood, I love filling the considerable gaps in my historical knowledge.
   874. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 15, 2013 at 01:23 PM (#4370295)
I still have Ned's Atomic Dustbin on my Ipod. Suck it hipsters!
   875. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: February 15, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4370302)
I really don't like Iain Macintosh, I guess I fail miserably at being a football hipster :(
   876. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: February 15, 2013 at 01:46 PM (#4370305)
At some point won't the hipsters consider Europa League the "real" European tournament? Not polluted by the big money clubs and all.
   877. ursus arctos Posted: February 15, 2013 at 01:54 PM (#4370311)
Robbie Rogers comes out and "steps away from football".

Good on him, sorry to see him end his career so soon.
   878. ursus arctos Posted: February 15, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4370317)
Great tweet from Eddie Pope

@robbierogers Brave men like you will make it so that one day there's no need for an announcement.That day can't arrive soon enough.#Support
   879. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 15, 2013 at 02:14 PM (#4370320)
Eddie Pope for...wait for it wait for it...pope?

Naw, I kid. Too bad Rogers feels like he has to step away. When he's fit he's not a bad player. It's too bad injuries kept him from ever getting a foothold in England.
   880. Mattbert Posted: February 15, 2013 at 05:28 PM (#4370407)
The heck with Eddie Pope. Let's get the Joey Barton Pontifex Express into gear!
@Joey7Barton: Can I just say well done to @robbierogers .Takes enormous amounts of courage to do what he's done. Fair play.
   881. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: February 15, 2013 at 05:42 PM (#4370417)
At some point won't the hipsters consider Europa League the "real" European tournament? Not polluted by the big money clubs and all.

As soon as UEFA stops the system where Juventus or Man United ends up in the Europa League after finishing third in their group.

BOLTON THINK FACTORY / SPURS THINK FACTORY

Bolton U18 squad beat Tottenham 8-4 in the FA Youth Cup. Yes, 8-4. Among those with a hat trick was Tom Youngs, one half of the all-plural-Tom striker tandem of the future (with Tom Eaves).
   882. Mattbert Posted: February 15, 2013 at 05:45 PM (#4370420)
U18 squad beat Tottenham 8-4 in the FA Youth Cup.

Well done to the mini-Trotters. Spurs put out a very strong team for that game too.
   883. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 15, 2013 at 06:05 PM (#4370431)
Bolton U18 squad beat Tottenham 8-4 in the FA Youth Cup. Yes, 8-4. Among those with a hat trick was Tom Youngs, one half of the all-plural-Tom striker tandem of the future (with Tom Eaves).

Holy crap! I take solace in the Spurs U-21's beating both Liverpool and Man U this week. Still, 8 goals. Damn.
   884. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 15, 2013 at 08:26 PM (#4370490)
Great tweet from Eddie Pope
He's not alone either. Also Oguchi Onyewu, Sacha Kljestan, Brad Guzan, Omar Gonzalez, Carlos Bocanegra, Chris Pontius, Charlie Davies, Taylor Twellman, AJ De La Garza, Maurice Edu, Brad Evans, Dax McCarty, and Kasey Keller. (NYT: US players rally behind Robbie Rogers on twitter.)

Makin' me all patriotic tonight.
   885. puck Posted: February 16, 2013 at 02:24 AM (#4370593)
Atletico Madrid gives up an injury time goal to Rubin Kazan after their keeper comes up for a free kick at the death, and now have to overcome a 0-2 deficit in the away leg.

That's how the late goal happened? Why would they bring the keeper up? It's pretty bad to lose the home leg, but at least if it's 1-0 you still have a chance to win...2-1 in Russia would put them through, right?
   886. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: February 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM (#4370638)
Nacho Monreal looks like Peter Crouch's Spanish mini-me.
   887. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: February 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM (#4370644)
Not that I expect the press to be intimately familiar with the minutiae of Leeds United and indulge in speculation at this time, but I do hope that once someone gets to interview Robbie Rogers they ask him if the concussion he suffered minutes after making his debut for Leeds last year played any role in his decision to step away from football.
   888. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: February 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM (#4370646)

That's how quiet it is here at the Emirates, you can hear every song. Thankfully, that was a clean one ...
   889. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM (#4370647)
Gervinho still can't score for Arsenal. I guess he's just for country.
   890. Mefisto Posted: February 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM (#4370659)
I'm especially glad to see older players like Keller and Pope encouraging Rogers. Younger players seem more tolerant generationally; maybe the next guy won't have to step away from the game at the same time.
   891. Spivey Posted: February 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM (#4370671)
That was really bad goalkeeping.
   892. Spivey Posted: February 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM (#4370678)
Nice pass Arteta.
   893. Spivey Posted: February 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM (#4370679)
Nice shot Arteta.
   894. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: February 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM (#4370680)
Well, there's always the Champions League. A little shocking to hear all the boos.

More importantly, Freiburg keep pace with Hamburglar for a spot in Europe. Freiburg's best players were the bar and the post, but the 3 points still count.
   895. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: February 16, 2013 at 01:03 PM (#4370686)
Awful from Arsenal today. Couple of great chances, Gervinho pulling a shot wide in the first half when he was in one on one and Arteta at the end not getting it on net but generally Arsenal for all the possession were pretty unimaginative.

FSC guys talking about how bad it's going to be for Arsenal but at this point I think Wenger:Arsenal as Lucchino:Red Sox. Wenger isn't the jackass Lucchino is but both guys do their thing and have been at it for awhile, it's not new. The club clearly has decided that Wenger is doing what they want him to do. Unless Arsene himself decides to walk I think he's safe with the caveat that missing the CL may be the cause for him to get the boot.
   896. Swedish Chef Posted: February 16, 2013 at 01:12 PM (#4370691)
Unless Arsene himself decides to walk I think he's safe with the caveat that missing the CL may be the cause for him to get the boot.

I assume Arsenal would do their utmost to come up with a face-saving (for all parties) formula in case they wanted to try something new. Of course, it's easy to see Wenger intentionally not taking the hint.
   897. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 16, 2013 at 01:14 PM (#4370695)
Fans will be pissed (and they have a right to be) but the only way Kroenke would think about canning Wegner is if he doesn't qualify for Champions League. Even then I think Wegner would be safe.
   898. Spivey Posted: February 16, 2013 at 01:25 PM (#4370703)
Wenger seems intentionally obtuse about roster construction, but I think he still does pretty damn well given the salary/transfer constraints they have.
   899. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: February 16, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4370714)
German refs have it in for Dortmund strikers. Julian Schieber sent off after 30 minutes on two horrible calls from Felix Brych.
   900. ursus arctos Posted: February 16, 2013 at 03:04 PM (#4370734)
Not that it really mattered. BVB have now increased their lead to 3-0.
Page 9 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Id of SugarBear Blanks
for his generous support.