Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

OT: The Soccer Thread: January 2013

Because the first sporting event of 2013 that I watched was a soccer match.

fra paolo Posted: January 01, 2013 at 03:38 PM | 1784 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > 
   1201. SuperGrover Posted: January 24, 2013 at 05:57 PM (#4354390)
I guess one way to cut down on costs is to scout only a single league. Do they have a timeshare in Paris I wonder?

For fantasy purposes, it seems like Gouffran would play on the left with HBA flanking Cabaye behind Cisse. That leaves out Marveaux, but appears the most likely lineup. Or I guess they go two up top, but either way it seems Marveaux is SOL once HBA returns.
   1202. ursus arctos Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:12 PM (#4354401)
There are also the "synergies" involved given that Ben Arfa, Debuchy and Sissoko all have the same agent.
   1203. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:17 PM (#4354406)
Got home and put on the Barca-Malaga second leg in the Copa del Rey. Fun so far. I'm watching with German commentary, and it's really quite amazing how the commentators don't feel any need to fill dead air. If they don't have anything to say, they just let you watch the game with just the stadium noise for a minute or more. Maybe they're saying dumb things in German when they do speak, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

I also just saw the highlight of Messi's goal from the first game. I realize he does stuff like this every week or so, but still, damn. Messi highlight from Copa del Rey.
   1204. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 07:16 PM (#4354451)
Rapinoe was over at left-back to cover for Bompastor on Saturday in Lyon's friendly against FC Shanghai. Bompastor will rightly take that spot when she gets back, but interesting positioning...maybe she'll swap around with Corine Franco at right back in the future? Alternatively, it could just have been because Lyonnais are really short on defenders.
   1205. ursus arctos Posted: January 24, 2013 at 07:26 PM (#4354459)
So, two more Clasicos then, with Casillas missing both and Sergio Ramos missing the first.

It's going to be an interesting six weeks or so for Madrid, with three matches against Barca plus the pair with Manchester United.
   1206. Mefisto Posted: January 24, 2013 at 08:20 PM (#4354489)
I assume that's a temporary thing for Rapinoe. She doesn't strike me as having the discipline to be a defender.
   1207. vortex of dissipation Posted: January 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM (#4354558)
I'm guessing that you don't know that Bastia played in a UEFA Cup Final then, either.

Beating Newcastle United, amongst other, on the way to the final...
   1208. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 09:08 AM (#4354718)
Marca versus Real Madrid?

Is it odd for them to contradict the Real president? I always thought they were Real's mouthpiece.
   1209. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 09:40 AM (#4354732)
Transfer news!

By which I mean transfer rumors. BBC and The Guardian are reporting Spurs are set to go after Mo Diame ahead of Arsenal and Everton. We'll see. Liverpool supposedly after Ashley Williams and Real Madrid supposedly want Julio Cesar. Wenger tells Arsenal fans not to expect any transfers but that may or may not be BS, though it's probably not BS. Red Bulls name Mike Petke head coach after Paulo Sousa backed out and Dave Checketts sold his share of Real Salt Lake and exits MLS stage left.
   1210. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 25, 2013 at 09:47 AM (#4354735)
   1211. ursus arctos Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM (#4354785)
A version of the NCAA Basketball Tournament where players can't use their hands.

• The matches will be split into 13 different packages, with 12 ordinary packages including three group matches and one knockout round (round of 16 or quarter-final), and one package for the semi-finals and the final;

• There will only be a maximum of one venue per country, meaning one stadium for each of the available 13 packages. Both semi-finals and the final will be played in one stadium; and

• Each association will be allowed to present up to two bids, one for the ordinary package and one for the semi-finals/final package. Each national association can decide to present the same city for these two bids or two different cities.

So, then.

June Jubilee?

Jumpin' July?
   1212. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM (#4354794)
Spurs have a new emergency keeper.

You never know when you will need one.
   1213. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM (#4354802)
I like the idea for Euro 2020, as I've probably said in the past. Even if I can already see it being an absolute mess to execute.
   1214. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM (#4354807)
Given the size of and already existing infrastructure in Europe, having a Euro Euros makes perfect sense to me.

There's some sense of loss in that the Euros have always been hosted by someone, but at the same time hosting the Euros is a huge cost to the hosting country that rarely serves any real purpose.
   1215. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM (#4354811)
I like the idea for Euro 2020, as I've probably said in the past. Even if I can already see it being an absolute mess to execute.

I like it, too. Hopefully they let some of the smaller countries host and just don't make Paris/London/Barcelona/Milan/Moscow, etc. the venues. Prague and Dublin should be no brainers as venues.
   1216. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM (#4354818)
Hopefully they let some of the smaller countries host and just don't make Paris/London/Barcelona/Milan/Moscow, etc. the venues.
As I'm reading the rules, there's 13 sites and a limit of one per country. There's just no way to make that exclusive to the big countries. Even if you take your big six and add Berlin, there's still six more to go.
   1217. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM (#4354836)
Jonathan Wilson has got to be trolling us.

No way would he ever resort to a Redknappism during a game of football. (See if you can find it!)

As I'm reading the rules, there's 13 sites and a limit of one per country. There's just no way to make that exclusive to the big countries. Even if you take your big six and add Berlin, there's still six more to go.

Knowing UEFA they could go London, Madrid, Rome, Istanbul, Athens, Warsaw, Kiev, Vienna, Basel, Paris, Moscow, Munich and Lisbon. 7 cities I'd like to see get games, assuming they meet the hosting criteria:

Dublin
Glasgow
Prague
Tel Aviv
Helsinki
Budapest
Brussels
   1218. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM (#4354841)
I think the Euro 2020 plan was universally liked here. Blind luck by UEFA.

I do like that we talked about soccer movies and then he wrote about one. It's like he's watching...
   1219. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM (#4354846)
I think the Euro 2020 plan was universally liked here. Blind luck by UEFA.

Yet nearly universally hated by Europeans. There is definitely a cultural divide on this issue. Maybe we're just used to our favorite teams playing in big events in far off places.
   1220. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM (#4354850)
I do like that we talked about soccer movies and then he wrote about one. It's like he's watching...

This is the finest soccer forum on the internet. I'd be surprised if he wasn't lurking...
   1221. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM (#4354852)
Helsinki? Finnish pro teams do not draw big crowds. The largest stadium in the country only has 40,000 seats and is one of those wildly popular venues with a giant running track around the field. Although it does offer the chance of seeing this.
   1222. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM (#4354855)
Yet nearly universally hated by Europeans. There is definitely a cultural divide on this issue. Maybe we're just used to our favorite teams playing in big events in far off places.

I think part of it is that if I lived in country that hosted some of the games, I want them to host all of the games. Of course on the flip side of that is I might live in a country that would never be able to host all of the games.

As Americans we don't have that as a consideration. We're watching on TV no matter where it's played, so it doesn't effect us.
   1223. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM (#4354863)
Finnish pro teams do not draw big crowds.

But their teams are crap, above the arctic circle and/or fixing games!

Although it does offer the chance of seeing this.

Was that Roy Hodgson? Holy crap. Also, as someone who's been out in the woods countless times trying to get a picture of an owl without success, let me just say, #### you football fans of Finland. #### you straight to hell!

edit: Oh, and the irony of an owl holding up a game involving Roy Hodgson is some kind of practical joke by Nature. Good one Nature, that's even better than the red baboon asses.
   1224. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM (#4354870)
Hazard has been charged with violent conduct by the FA. My guess is he's looking at 5 games instead of just the 3.
   1225. Swedish Chef Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM (#4354876)
Helsinki? Finnish pro teams do not draw big crowds.

Utterly immaterial. This is about being a great host city.

The largest stadium in the country only has 40,000 seats and is one of those wildly popular venues with a giant running track around the field.

A host will be expected to build or rebuild a stadium to match the occasion anyway. They can do a reverse Commonwwealth Stadium and fill it up until an athletics track fits in a new stadium afterwards (a Finnish stadium that can't host a javelin event is unthinkable).
   1226. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM (#4354880)
Utterly immaterial. This is about being a great host city.

Agreed. The US had record crowds with no real league to speak of. Domestic draws are indicative of nothing.
   1227. ursus arctos Posted: January 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM (#4354908)
I'm not a fan of the Euro Euros, but as a one off and a statement against white elephant stadia, even I have to admit that it isn't a disaster.

I see Stockholm as being a much more likely venue than Helsinki. For one thing, they have a brand new stadium.
   1228. Swedish Chef Posted: January 25, 2013 at 01:03 PM (#4354921)
For one thing, they have a brand new stadium.

If we're lucky they may even have built some means of getting to that stadium by 2020.

But I have to wonder if having a new stadium really is an advantage. It makes it cheaper to host, but the selection committee doesn't pay for it and architects' renderings tend to be more exciting than real buildings.
   1229. ursus arctos Posted: January 25, 2013 at 01:18 PM (#4354938)
Well, a complete lack of access didn't stop UEFA from putting the European Cup Final in Istanbul in 2005. I'm still not sure that you can get to that ground easily.

I think that UEFA are trying to demonstrate that they understand that the traditional rules for this kind of thing have changed, given the new economic reality in Europe. Pharonic sports projects are going to be hard sells virtually everywhere, especially if the host country can't share the pork across the country.
   1230. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 25, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4354963)
Here in the US we have gotten used to municipalities wasting vast sums on stadiums for professional teams, which is viewed as bizarre in Europe but a sort of necessary evil here. You have clubs like Everton that everyone agrees are desperately in need of a new stadium, which would probably actually make economic sense to the local area, or at least would make more sense than building a new field every 20 years for the Indianapolis Colts to use ten times a year. However the leaders of the local area have no conception that they should get involved in financing such a thing, and the owners of the club can't do it on their own, so presumably it will never happen until Goodison is literally deemed unsafe for humans to enter. At which point the team will have to "ground-share" with Liverpool until the new stadium is built.

However, here we think it is bizarre to waste vast sums on stadiums for a temporary event, that the local professional team doesn't even want because they never draw half as many fans as it holds. Whereas in Europe that seems to be the necessarily evil. And in South Korea. And in South Africa.
   1231. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 02:09 PM (#4354974)
However, here we think it is bizarre to waste vast sums on stadiums for a temporary event, that the local professional team doesn't even want because they never draw half as many fans as it holds. Whereas in Europe that seems to be the necessarily evil. And in South Korea. And in South Africa.

Our crazy seems a little less crazy than their crazy. USA! USA! USA!
   1232. ursus arctos Posted: January 25, 2013 at 02:15 PM (#4354976)
It is only seen as a necessary evil because of the distortions created by the franchise system and closed leagues.

Liverpool continues to have serious social and economic issues. There's no way that throwing money at Everton would be a wise use of the city's limited resources.
   1233. Swedish Chef Posted: January 25, 2013 at 02:20 PM (#4354979)
Liverpool continues to have serious social and economic issues. There's no way that throwing money at Everton would be a wise use of the city's limited resources.

Good thing they can always ask for the teams to be rational and share a new ground. The risk that they get a positive answer to that is infinitesimal.
   1234. Mattbert Posted: January 25, 2013 at 03:26 PM (#4355015)

No way would he ever resort to a Redknappism during a game of football. (See if you can find it!)

That was a great story. Who knew Roman Pavlyuchenko began his career as a Tibetan schoolboy!

While somehow it's entirely fitting and somehow unsurprising that Jonathan Wilson lived and worked at a remote mountain monastery near Dharamsala, it would have been interesting if he'd spent a paragraph telling us why.
   1235. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 03:35 PM (#4355019)

You can say this about virtually every city that has just or is about to give a team money for a stadium.
   1236. ursus arctos Posted: January 25, 2013 at 03:52 PM (#4355034)
Which is why the rest of the world is fortunate in not having its sports leagues organized into blackmailing monopolies.
   1237. Topher Posted: January 25, 2013 at 04:23 PM (#4355056)
My scout in FM just recommended that I sign Nile Ranger. Ick.
   1238. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 04:24 PM (#4355057)
I've been watching this VVV vs AZ Alkmaar game and, no joke, Jozy looks very good. Klinsmann has to figure out a way to build an attack around him. He's done it all in the game.
   1239. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 04:25 PM (#4355058)
My scout in FM just recommended that I sign Nile Ranger.

That's a bug, not a feature.
   1240. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 25, 2013 at 04:36 PM (#4355066)
Not all sports in Europe have relegation. The KHL is a closed league that teams have to apply to. So is the Rugby Super League, and I think the German hockey league. But I don't know if any of them is a monopoly like our leagues are, where a lower league team could not possibly move to a "major league" because the only team that can be added to a major league is a team that has never existed before.

The Finnish hockey league abolished relegation in 2000, but after teams kept responding to being out of the playoff picture by selling their best players to good teams as the playoffs approached, they created a system where the last-place team plays a best-of-7 series against the top team in the lower league.
   1241. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 04:44 PM (#4355069)
I've been watching this VVV vs AZ Alkmaar game and, no joke, Jozy looks very good. Klinsmann has to figure out a way to build an attack around him. He's done it all in the game.

His hattrick in the last game was nice work. He found the seams for good delivery on crosses, displayed good vision. Let's see if Klinsmann even puts him in his 18 first. He's probably patting himself on the back (undeservedly) for motivating Altidore.
   1242. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 25, 2013 at 04:52 PM (#4355075)
My scout in FM just recommended that I sign Nile Ranger.

I would fire him. I am not kidding.
   1243. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 04:56 PM (#4355080)

I'm considering signing a guy named Panda and another named Bosco just because.
   1244. ursus arctos Posted: January 25, 2013 at 05:07 PM (#4355087)
Crispix, the DEL (German hockey) is a bit of a strange animal because it is supposed to have a relegation playoff, but currently does not because the two divisions have different rules on the number of foreigners on a team.

The KHL is probably the closest thing to a North American setup in a major European league (though it is interesting to note that its all Russian predecessor had promotion and relegation). That said, I don't think we will be seeing Torpedo holding up Nizhny Novgorod for a new rink anytime soon.
   1245. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 25, 2013 at 05:16 PM (#4355092)
Are you scouting for Northumbria Police?
   1246. Mattbert Posted: January 25, 2013 at 05:28 PM (#4355097)
Also, as someone who's been out in the woods countless times trying to get a picture of an owl without success, let me just say, #### you football fans of Finland. #### you straight to hell!

I suppose this would be an indelicate time to tell you about the pair of screech owls that were hanging out in the trees in my yard for several days and were so dozy at the time I discovered them while clearing brush that they let me take pictures of them with my iPhone from about two feet away.
   1247. SuperGrover Posted: January 25, 2013 at 05:41 PM (#4355111)
Hazard has been charged with violent conduct by the FA. My guess is he's looking at 5 games instead of just the 3.

If this is the case Chelsea will be ridiculously undermanned given their stature. Moses and Mikel are in Africa and will presumably make the knockout stage (surely Nigeria will beat Ethiopia). Romeu is hurt as is Luiz (although he could be back). If Hazard is out as well their midfield is looking awfully thin.

I would guess Bertrand might get some run unless Benitez tries to pair the strikers. Otherwise, I assume Oscar plays on the left although he has shown little appetite for keeping width when put out there.
   1248. jmurph Posted: January 25, 2013 at 05:55 PM (#4355125)
How in god's name do you write an article called "Eden Hazard and Seven Theories on When It Is and Is Not OK to Kick a Person in the Chest" without referencing a Tribe Called Quest? I've never been more disappointed in pop culture.

Disappointing article that doesn't mention TCQ

EDIT: How many lines in great songs are there about putting your foot up in someone's friggin chest!? Just the one! I will not let this drop!
   1249. zack Posted: January 25, 2013 at 05:55 PM (#4355127)

The KHL is probably the closest thing to a North American setup in a major European league (though it is interesting to note that its all Russian predecessor had promotion and relegation). That said, I don't think we will be seeing Torpedo holding up Nizhny Novgorod for a new rink anytime soon.

And as far as facilities are concerned, the KHL is still pretty European. Most of the arenas are ancient (by NHL owners' standards) or built for an international event or both. It does look like many have been renovated recently, though. Also most are barely the size of a NA juniors rink, so they're not going to be running into the billions.

Edit: I guess my western conference bias is showing. Many of the eastern conference teams have newer arenas. Which are 5,000 miles from the others.
   1250. Swedish Chef Posted: January 25, 2013 at 05:59 PM (#4355132)
I suppose this would be an indelicate time to tell you about the pair of screech owls that were hanging out in the trees in my yard for several days and were so dozy at the time I discovered them while clearing brush that they let me take pictures of them with my iPhone from about two feet away.

Eight years ago or so I was awakened one night by something hitting one of my windows. The next morning I realized what it was when I saw the very detailed imprint of an owl on the window. There was no owl corpse, so I suppose it got away with a nasty headache.
   1251. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 06:12 PM (#4355141)
You jerks with your owls.

Even Tom Hanks is going to drop Aston Villa at this rate. For some reason, I think losing to Millwall is even worse than losing to Bradford City. There's nothing romantic about losing to Millwall.
   1252. ursus arctos Posted: January 25, 2013 at 06:29 PM (#4355149)
   1253. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 06:37 PM (#4355151)
I like owls, that's the problem! They're like mythical creatures, though.
   1254. DA Baracus Posted: January 25, 2013 at 06:38 PM (#4355152)
At some point before the end of the season someone is going to have to hug Brad Guzan and tell him "it's not your fault, it's not your fault..."
   1255. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2013 at 06:41 PM (#4355157)
At some point before the end of the season someone is going to have to hug Brad Guzan and tell him "it's not your fault, it's not your fault..."

Talk about a deal with the devil. Always gotta read that fine print.
   1256. Flynn Posted: January 25, 2013 at 07:29 PM (#4355185)
There's more governmental involvement in building stadiums than you think. Councils in the UK, especially in smaller cities looking to regenerate a certain part of town, will often throw in some money as a carrot to the club involved to get them to go.
   1257. Topher Posted: January 25, 2013 at 07:42 PM (#4355190)
How in god's name do you write an article called "Eden Hazard and Seven Theories on When It Is and Is Not OK to Kick a Person in the Chest" without referencing a Tribe Called Quest?

As much as I want to share your outrage, 1nce Again is more than 15 years old and I wouldn't be surprised if ATCQ predates the cultural relevancy of the writer. People's Instinctive Travels is almost 25(!) years old.

Time to go home. Think I'll listen to Midnight Marauders on the train.
   1258. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM (#4355280)
That penalty given to Zambia in the Zambia-Nigeria game was ludicrously soft.
   1259. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 26, 2013 at 09:32 AM (#4355371)
It seems that Coutinho may be on his way to Liverpool. So much for their claim they wouldn't be spending this winter. Coutinho is a nifty player and, while I understand why Pool want him, why are Inter selling him? Peter Odemwingie really really wants to move to QPR.
   1260. IronChef Chris Wok Posted: January 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM (#4355378)
If this is the case Chelsea will be ridiculously undermanned given their stature. Moses and Mikel are in Africa and will presumably make the knockout stage (surely Nigeria will beat Ethiopia). Romeu is hurt as is Luiz (although he could be back). If Hazard is out as well their midfield is looking awfully thin.

I would guess Bertrand might get some run unless Benitez tries to pair the strikers. Otherwise, I assume Oscar plays on the left although he has shown little appetite for keeping width when put out there.

They've got nobody left down the middle, Ramires would probably deputise on the right but he has to play in the middle with Lampard with Romeu/Luiz/Mikel gone. Oscar is basically the only option behind the strikers now, and Mata/Bertrand/Marin are the only wide players available. Maybe they'll try Torres out on that wide right side.

BUY FELLAINI DAMMIT
   1261. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM (#4355396)
I'd be really disappointed with Everton if they sold Fellaini now and if on top of that they sold him to a competitor for a CL spot. They can wait until summer to get their money for him.
   1262. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM (#4355398)
There's no way that Everton could reasonably maximize their return by selling Fellaini now. He's under contract through the end of the 2015-2016 season, and Everton have a good shot at Champions League football next year.
   1263. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM (#4355400)
Right, unless Fallaini throws a wobbler, he'll be there till summer 2014.
   1264. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM (#4355402)
They've said they aren't selling him and he's said he isn't leaving during this window.
   1265. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM (#4355405)
The funny thing is Michael Essien would be a good option for Chelsea about now.

edit: Actually, he's probably at AFCON, right?
   1266. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM (#4355408)
Gervinho with another goal for Cote d'Ivoire. I think that's the narrative I'm rooting for now - Cote d'Ivoire finally triumph, on the shoulders and confusingly shaped forehead region of Gervinho

(Essien does not appear to be on the Ghana roster. Are you saying he'd be there in some other capacity?)
   1267. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM (#4355416)
BRIGHTON!!!
   1268. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM (#4355417)
Speaking of Fellaini, Everton and Bolton are tied 1-1 at the half of their FA Cup game.
   1269. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM (#4355418)
AND HOVE!!!
   1270. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM (#4355434)
Awwww ... I was behind on the DVR and I thought that meant they must have scored again.
   1271. Swedish Chef Posted: January 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM (#4355440)
It's a good day for Franchise FC, less so for QPR.
   1272. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: January 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM (#4355441)
This game between Arsenal and Brighton is amazing. Can't believe a premier league team has blown a lead twice.
   1273. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM (#4355442)
AND HOVE!!!

(are you from ... the future?!?!?!?)
   1274. Swedish Chef Posted: January 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM (#4355443)
Heh
   1275. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM (#4355461)
Luton Town! (I have nothing but the score to go on, but still!)
   1276. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 26, 2013 at 01:03 PM (#4355471)
Berbatov's return to Old Trafford. I hope he gets a good reception (I think he will).
   1277. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 26, 2013 at 01:06 PM (#4355472)
1273. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM (#4355442)
AND HOVE!!!

(are you from ... the future?!?!?!?)

Yes, it is 17:00 here.
   1278. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 26, 2013 at 01:06 PM (#4355474)
Hmm, are those timestamps right btw? Shouldn't it just be 12:00 EST?
   1279. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2013 at 01:08 PM (#4355475)
No, the timestamps do not recognize daylight savings.
   1280. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 26, 2013 at 01:10 PM (#4355476)
Yes, it is 17:00 here.

here too!
   1281. DA Baracus Posted: January 26, 2013 at 01:13 PM (#4355478)
The girlfriend is in Egypt and is not having any luck find me an Arab Contractors jersey. Drat. That's just a great name.
   1282. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 26, 2013 at 02:06 PM (#4355517)
The BBC is reporting that Coutinho to Liverpool is done, just £8.5M.
   1283. SuperGrover Posted: January 26, 2013 at 02:15 PM (#4355523)
I'd be really disappointed with Everton if they sold Fellaini now and if on top of that they sold him to a competitor for a CL spot. They can wait until summer to get their money for him.

While I understand your point, I don't think Chelsea is real competition for Everton. They are 7 points clear and Everton is beat up (Mirallas came off AGAIN today). I don't see them as a legitimate threat for the top 3.
   1284. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 26, 2013 at 03:10 PM (#4355567)
Chelsea can always recall Malouda from the reserves! Wow I forgot Benayoun was still on Chelsea.
   1285. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: January 26, 2013 at 03:22 PM (#4355573)
The word "dire" doesn't really get used in the states very often but it's the word that came to mind watching Fulham today. Holy mother of God were they awful.
   1286. J. Sosa Posted: January 26, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4355578)
Very pleased with Coutinho signing. From what I can tell journos that follow Serie A are surprised Inter parted with him especially at that price. Lucas is widely respected and supposedly played a role in Coutinho wanting to move. Inter fans say the reason the move was made is that the club and Moratti are in dire straits financially. They also appear fixated on Paulinho and needed the cash.

Very pleased. Nothing is a lock, he may flop but it is exactly the type of transfer LFC needs to make on a consistent basis. There is some speculation that they may still land Ince as well.

If Coutinho is healthy the interplay between he and Suarez will be a joy to watch.

edit: clarity
   1287. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 26, 2013 at 03:40 PM (#4355580)
Does Coutinho slot in immediately? The Sturridge/Suarez partnership has scored goals.
   1288. J. Sosa Posted: January 26, 2013 at 03:57 PM (#4355592)
Re: 1287

Rodgers appears to want fluidity amongst the attackers. Depending on how quickly he adjusts he would replace Downing and primarily play on the left.
   1289. Mefisto Posted: January 26, 2013 at 03:58 PM (#4355595)
The word "dire" doesn't really get used in the states very often but it's the word that came to mind watching Fulham today. Holy mother of God were they awful.

Understatement. I don't see how Jol can keep his job.
   1290. Swedish Chef Posted: January 26, 2013 at 06:35 PM (#4355656)
Le Sulk joins Juventus on loan. A good move for them, or at least an interesting one.
   1291. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:33 AM (#4355859)
Brentford!
   1292. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:33 AM (#4355860)
Brentford?

Turnbull and Terry/Cahill have been just awful.
   1293. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:35 AM (#4355861)
The announcers are destroying Turnbull. In the fifteen minutes or so that I've seen he hasn't been very good but they are battering him.
   1294. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:39 AM (#4355863)
I don't understand why Ba is still on the bench. It should be kitchen sink time for Chelsea. What's Rafa waiting for?
   1295. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:40 AM (#4355865)
Chelsea look capable of doing whatever they want on balls in the air in the box.
   1296. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:41 AM (#4355866)
There's Ba! Hey, Demba, don't score!
   1297. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:41 AM (#4355867)
Hey, at least Demba didn't score...
   1298. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 27, 2013 at 09:55 AM (#4355870)
Replay! Well done Brentford.

And now for the day's feature presentation. Since I haven't been impressed by a Spurs cup performance since they played Milan, I'm bracing myself for the upset.
   1299. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM (#4355871)
Obika instead of Defoe on the bench for Spurs. Hope that doesn't mean anything.
   1300. JuanGone..except1game Posted: January 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM (#4355875)
Goal LEEDS!!
Page 13 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.