Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

OT: The Soccer Thread: January 2013

Because the first sporting event of 2013 that I watched was a soccer match.

fra paolo Posted: January 01, 2013 at 03:38 PM | 1784 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 15 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > 
   1401. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 09:59 AM (#4357220)
Some skill from Gareth Bale that made Sunday's loss to Leeds well worth watching regardless of the outcome.

Here it is at full speed. I think Byram is lucky Bale pulled that off and that it happened so fast, otherwise he could easily have gotten a straight red for that challenge.

The best part watching it live was the collective "WHOA" from the crowd that was audible on the FSC broadcast.
   1402. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 09:59 AM (#4357222)
Also, ursus, is the implication of that snippet that Qatar are spending ridiculous amount of money at PSG because the French government gets a lot of that cash in the way of taxes? I don't think it's good in the grand scheme of French soccer for one team to become such a bully, but taking the short money is something I can see a government getting behind. From Qatar's POV, I wonder if they won't regret this World Cup the way the Argentine junta probably regretted the spotlight they received in 1976. Right now people don't know much about Qatar other than that they are wealthy and have a crapload of gas, but as the Cup draws near, people might know a lot more about their human rights issues, etc. than Qatar may be comfortable with not to mention everyone assumes they bribed their way to getting the Cup and the negative connotations they will have from that.
   1403. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM (#4357227)
Books could be written on the Borgia-like back-biting at Madrid (and surely are being written as we speak), but the fundamental issue appears to be an unwillingness on the part of "icons" like Casillas and Ramos to allow Mourinho to become the primary figure at the club and to shape it in his own image (as he had at Porto, Chelsea, and even Inter). The "anti-Mou" contingent still ascribe to a concept of Madridismo in which the club is "bigger" and stands for more permanent values than any one individual. In baseball terms, you could think of the concept of a "true Yankee" as a rough analog. There is also a clear split between the Mourinho clan of Lusophones (virtually all of whom, like Mourinho, are represented by Jorge Mendes) and the rest of the team, particularly the Spaniards. The Lusophones are full members of the Mourinho personality cult (with guys like Carvalho going back to Porto), but the Spaniards never really signed up, in large part because they have all won more serious titles (especially at national team level) without the Special One's special sauce.

All of this has been going on more or less since he arrived, though it was masked to some extent by last season's title success. What is new is Marca turning on Florentino Perez, who has used the paper as his personal mouthpiece for more than ten years. That could be an indication that Marca fears that Perez himself has fallen under Mou's Rasputin-like spell, or (if you are really conspiratorial) is merely part of a long game by Perez and his buddies at the paper designed to make sure that Madrid will be rid of Mourinho, but will not have to pay the tens of millions of compensation he and his team are due if he is canned mid-season. The fact that Perez' vehement outrage at the Marca story wasn't accompanied by the slightest hint of legal action can be seen as support for the latter hypothesis.
   1404. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM (#4357228)
Lewis Holtb is tiny!

But he'll be in the 18 tomorrow against Norwich.

What do Juventus want with Balotelli? That seems a weird one.
   1405. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM (#4357231)
Shooty, I need to read the whole piece, but I tend to think that the implication is that the Qatari benefits to the French state are more in the form of arms sales and infrastructure projects, as well as personal benefits to those in power. Like Platini's kid, Sarko's son has been on the Qatari payroll.
   1406. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM (#4357233)
Well done to them for investigating this and publishing it, but is there anyone who didn't already believe this is what happened? I'm sure FIFA will be all over this investigation...Maybe Placido Domingo and Henry Kissinger have some free time to get to the bottom of it.

Indeed. It's a bit curious to me that France Football was cynical (realistic?) enough about FIFA to go through an extensive investigation into the crookery of the Qatar bid but then apparently has any faith whatsoever that submitting their findings to the very organization they say they've exposed as crooks won't just disappear into Sepp Blatter's inbox until the end of time.
   1407. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM (#4357234)
Shooty, I need to read the whole piece, but I tend to think that the implication is that the Qatari benefits to the French state are more in the form of arms sales and infrastructure projects, as well as personal benefits to those in power. Like Platini's kid, Sarko's son has been on the Qatari payroll.

Ah, I need to work on my cynicism--I wasn't prepared to go straight to bribes of political leaders.
   1408. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM (#4357236)
Indeed. It's a bit curious to me that France Football was cynical (realistic?) enough about FIFA to go through an extensive investigation into the crookery of the Qatar bid but then apparently has any faith whatsoever that submitting their findings to the very organization they say they've exposed as crooks won't just disappear into Sepp Blatter's inbox until the end of time.

I'm sure they realize the hopelessness of it, but what are the alternatives? Who governs FIFA?
   1409. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM (#4357237)
Lewis Holtb is tiny!

Villas-Boas has some outstanding hair in that photo. Outstanding.
   1410. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM (#4357238)
I tend to think that they submitted the dossier to call FIFA's potential bluff on its new "ethics committee" , which is led by an ex-US prosecutor. That body has already announced that it is going to review the 2018 and 2022 bid processes.
   1411. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM (#4357239)
Villas-Boas has some outstanding hair in that photo. Outstanding.

I get the feeling he's like those NFL coaches that sleep on the couch in their offices.
   1412. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM (#4357249)
I get the feeling he's like those NFL coaches that sleep on the couch in their offices.

Reportedly, that's pretty much exactly what he did at Chelsea; had a cot set up in his office at the training ground and everything.
   1413. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM (#4357252)
I tend to think that they submitted the dossier to call FIFA's potential bluff on its new "ethics committee" , which is led by an ex-US prosecutor. That body has already announced that it is going to review the 2018 and 2022 bid processes.

I figured that was the intent, given that FF made the investigation and summary findings public.
   1414. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM (#4357262)
Reportedly, that's pretty much exactly what he did at Chelsea; had a cot set up in his office at the training ground and everything.
Lot of good it did him. Perhaps at Spurs he should try renting a hotel a room, Google reveals there's a very nice Comfort Hotel about 15 minutes away from their training ground. According to Trip Advisor, it is the #3 hotel in Enfield. Well, out of 7, but still, top 50 percent!
   1415. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM (#4357283)
He could probably find something a little closer to Chigwell and share a room with Big Sam.
   1416. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM (#4357285)
He could probably find something a little closer to Chigwell and share a room with Big Sam.

We could film that and have the soccer version of The Mighty Boosh.
   1417. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM (#4357312)
I was thinking more along the lines of The Odd Couple. Or maybe Perfect Strangers.
   1418. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM (#4357323)
We could film that and have the soccer version of The Mighty Boosh.
This is the true story... of six football managers... picked to live in a house...work together and have their lives taped... to find out what happens... when people stop being polite... and start getting real...The Real World.

And of course, like in every season of The Real World, you have to have profiles:

Arsène, 63, France: Some say the game has passed him by, but this forceful Frenchman is out to prove he can still win a trophy. Any trophy. Seriously.
"Big Sam," 58, the Midlands: If you think Puck and Pedro fought it out, wait until you see Big Sam argue with AVB about the high line!
Rafa, 52, Spain: Forced to co-exist with a team he once hated, will he take it out on the rooommates?
Martin, 57, Netherlands: Will living in The Real World house force the dour Dutchman to ligthen up?
'Arry, 65, London: Don't ask us what we had to pay to get 'Arry in the 'ouse!
André Villas-Boas, 35, Portugal: Stay tuned to see what ladies this young, hip European can bring home!
   1419. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM (#4357346)
Well, well, well...

I can't say he'll be missed.
   1420. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM (#4357366)
Wonder if it is at all related to the fact that he features in the FF Qatargate dossier. Evidently, the Qataris gave 80 million euro to the AFA.
   1421. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM (#4357377)
Balotelli is a Milan player.
   1422. puck Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM (#4357382)
#1403, thanks, Ursos.

The "anti-Mou" contingent still ascribe to a concept of Madridismo in which the club is "bigger" and stands for more permanent values than any one individual.

Does this include players (like the alleged Casillas and Ramos)?

I wonder how much of the issue is about Madrid and how much is that a team full of galactically-priced transfers (their confidence buttressed, as you note, by bigger trophies from elsewhere) has trouble buying into any coach's program.

The lusophone/spaniard tension sounds bad.
   1423. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM (#4357387)
Wonder if it is at all related to the fact that he features in the FF Qatargate dossier. Evidently, the Qataris gave 80 million euro to the AFA.

He doesn't seem like the type to give ####-all about being implicated in that. Maybe he's ill or something.

Never would have thought Tevez would last longer at City than Balotelli. The tabloids will miss him.
   1424. puck Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM (#4357392)
It'll be interesting to see Brek Shea at Stoke. He's a good enough athlete for the league but his game really stagnated last year. I wonder if he's one of those athletes that needs to be at the highest possible level of competition to be motivated.

He was hampered by injuries for much of last year; it really was a horrible year for him. When healthy, though, even in league play he made me wonder if he has much besides his height and speed, and it's good speed, not Bale-level blazing speed.
   1425. jmurph Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM (#4357394)

It's a bummer they couldn't make it work, as the guy is absurdly talented. I will miss the penalties, that's for sure.
   1426. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM (#4357399)
He was hampered by injuries for much of last year; it really was a horrible year for him. When healthy, though, even in league play he made me wonder if he has much besides his height and speed, and it's good speed, not Bale-level blazing speed.

He's a really powerful runner, though, and he's so quick for a guy as tall as he is. I can see why Stoke want him but, yeah, he's got a lot of room to improve which is why I'm worried he won't play much. Maybe they'll loan him out for the rest of this year to get him some playing time.
   1427. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM (#4357405)
Yes, it very much includes players, particularly those who grew up at the club (like Casillas) or have essentially made their entire career there (like Ramos). Former players like Butragueno or Valdano (who Mourinho drove from the club) have been among the most vocal advocates of that philosophy.

I don't think it is so much buying into any coach's program as it is accepting the type of absolute fealty that Mourinho appears to demand and buying into the "us against the world" ideology he has brought to every club he's managed. Like their counterparts at Barcelona, Madrid's Spaniards believe that they should be more involved in the "project". And the whole Manichean world view doesn't work well when the embodiment of "evil" is full of guys with whom they've won three major trophies for Spain.

Pretty much all of this was foreseen as a possibility as soon as Mourinho began to talk to Madrid. Perez ignored it on the basis that Mourinho was the most likely person to deliver the tenth European Cup that he (and the supporters) value over all other trophies. That obviously hasn't worked out, and it's virtually impossible to see Mourinho staying after this season, even if he somehow delivers the trophy against the odds.
   1428. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM (#4357418)
Pretty much all of this was foreseen as a possibility as soon as Mourinho began to talk to Madrid. Perez ignored it on the basis that Mourinho was the most likely person to deliver the tenth European Cup that he (and the supporters) value over all other trophies. That obviously hasn't worked out, and it's virtually impossible to see Mourinho staying after this season, even if he somehow delivers the trophy against the odds.

It looks like a Chelsea reunion is in the cards, right? Or would he go to Man City to work with Pep's buddy. Looking at Mourinho's career after he left Porto, has he really achieved any more than you'd expect a manager at those clubs to achieve? Chelsea, Inter and Real have all spent an obscene amount of money while he was their manager. Inter still haven't recovered. I don't want to dismiss him as I do think he's a great manager, but I think the myth about him gets to be a bit much. What good is hiring a genius if you still have to outspend everyone, too?
   1429. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 01:04 PM (#4357428)
Winning the European Cup with Inter was a genuine achievement.

Moratti has been throwing money out the windows for years, and yet their performances in Europe before Mourinho came (virtually all of which I saw live) were profoundly meh (though a bit better than what Mancini has done with Man City in the Champions League).
   1430. puck Posted: January 29, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4357443)
Winning the European Cup with Inter was a genuine achievement.

I agree. That team seemed like they overachieved to win that title. Maybe even to win the consecutive league titles, too. I was also impressed with how the Cup-winning team did it; it seemed that everyone bought in to the team plan to an astonishing degree. I had not seen much of Eto'o before that year, but he sure played a lot of defense for a scorer of his ability. Though it really helped that Milito seemed to hit every crucial shot that year.
   1431. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4357447)
Shooty alert:

Jackie McNamara is leaving Partick for Dundee United.
   1432. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 01:45 PM (#4357455)
That team seemed like they overachieved to win that title.

I can see this argument, but it's not as if that team wasn't loaded with talent. I agree that getting through Barca was a hell of an achievement. Maybe their lukewarm CL efforts under Mancini says something about him as much as it does Mourinho? He's not exactly losing the choker label at Man City re: the Cup.

Anything can still happen in Group C in the AFCON today. All 4 teams have a chance to advance. Right now Nigeria are dead even with Zambia. Same GD, same goals forced, same goals allowed and they drew when they played each other. How does it get settled if it ends like that?
   1433. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 01:45 PM (#4357458)
Jackie McNamara is leaving Partick for Dundee United.

Not Jackie!
   1434. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4357465)
Anything can still happen in Group C in the AFCON today. All 4 teams have a chance to advance. Right now Nigeria are dead even with Zambia. Same GD, same goals forced, same goals allowed and they drew when they played each other. How does it get settled if it ends like that?

Number of cards, I think. Fewer is better.

Reverse Twatball, basically.
   1435. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 29, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4357467)
Fun double-bankshot value of the Holtby transfer - with Holtby's wages off the books, Schalke have picked up Michel Bastos on loan from OL, thus depriving Spurs' first-round Europa opponent of their star winger.
   1436. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:01 PM (#4357478)
Number of cards, I think. Fewer is better.
Aww, the other way would be so much better.
   1437. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:10 PM (#4357484)
# of cards is a horrible way to decide it. I'd rather they flipped a coin.
   1438. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:37 PM (#4357511)
Right now Zambia would go through with 8 yellows against Nigeria's 6 yellows and a red. 1 point for a yellow, 3 points for a red, so 8 points to 9.
   1439. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:38 PM (#4357512)
Nevermind. Nigeria just scored against Ethiopia. Zambia need a goal now.
   1440. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:44 PM (#4357518)
We're gonna have an outfield player in goal for Ethiopia now. Starting Ethiopian keeper not covering himself in glory. New keeper taking five to ten minutes to get suited up.
   1441. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:47 PM (#4357523)
Remarkably, Ethiopia has had its keeper sent off twice in three games.
   1442. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4357525)
It's over for Zambia after Nigeria's second goal. They leave undefeated, though!
   1443. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:49 PM (#4357526)
We're gonna have an outfield player in goal for Ethiopia now. Starting Ethiopian keeper not covering himself in glory. New keeper taking five to ten minutes to get suited up.

Ethiopia's No. 1 goalkeeper was sent off earlier in the tournament, too! Somebody phone Harry Redknapp, because they're down to the bare bones.

EDIT: Coke to the bear.
   1444. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 29, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4357537)
Too bad Nigeria - Ivory Coast is only going to be a quarterfinal.
   1445. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:04 PM (#4357545)
The quarters in full:

South Africa - Mali
Cote d'Ivoire - Nigeria
Ghana - Cape Verde
Burkina Faso - Winner of Togo/Tunisia
   1446. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4357550)
'arry has named two substitute keepers to his squad tonight.

None of the three are Ethiopian.
   1447. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:11 PM (#4357553)
   1448. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:13 PM (#4357556)

I'm generally pro Harry, but this is one thing he did that drove me crazy. So, so dumb.
   1449. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4357561)

I'm generally pro Harry, but this is one thing he did that drove me crazy. So, so dumb.

When I am playing FM, I usually don't name any.
   1450. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:28 PM (#4357573)
That would be because you aren't trying to demonstrate to your chairman that you are scraping the bottom of the squad barrel, and desperately need some shopping money.
   1451. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:35 PM (#4357580)
Cable provider finally got ESPN3. I guess I'll be watching the relegation six pointer Villa-Newcastle and QPR-City. Gouffran and Sissoko are starting for Newcastle.
   1452. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:36 PM (#4357583)
Redknapp has put two keepers on the bench for today's game. Maybe they can sit on either side of the bench and hold a tifo that says "send help."

I will get ursus a Coke next time I am in the break room.
   1453. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4357587)
Does City go and buy another striker? They don't really "need" another one but I'm sure Mancini is complaining that he wants another one.
   1454. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4357589)
Go Cape Verde! Beyond Cape Verde being a crazy story, I still have a mild grudge against Ghana from the 2010 and 2006 World Cups.
   1455. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:44 PM (#4357599)
Re: the two keepers on the bench for QPR, signing Tal Ben Haim and naming him among the substitutes could equally be interpreted as a cry for help.
   1456. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:47 PM (#4357600)
Ta da! The magic of FFP at work...
   1457. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:49 PM (#4357602)
I went and looked up the Gamecast - so unbelievable that Ben Haim made the bench. Wow Anton Ferdinand is out of favor.
   1458. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:50 PM (#4357603)
Guardian MBM is having fun mocking the 2 sub keepers gambit.

Jozy has scored a penalty as AZ are running riot in the Dutch Cup.
   1459. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:54 PM (#4357607)
Wow Anton Ferdinand is out of favor.

Not only is he out of favor, he's out of the country! He's been loaned to a club in Turkey.
   1460. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2013 at 03:56 PM (#4357610)
Didn't even know that happened. I know there was rumors but I figured even the Turkish clubs wouldn't want him.
   1461. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:05 PM (#4357618)
Cisse scores - good through ball by Sissoko. Although it only counts as half a goal since its against Villa, right?
   1462. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:19 PM (#4357637)
Wow.

Villa down 2-0 to Chateauneuf within 35 minutes.

Reports that Altidore has been subjected to monkey chants away to Den Bosch in the Cup, but has insisted on playing on (though kicker is now saying the match has been suspended).
   1463. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:23 PM (#4357642)
AZ was kicking Den Bosch's ass and Den Bosch is down 2 men so they probably will welcome a suspended match.
   1464. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:25 PM (#4357646)
Also, the clock on the AZ match isn't running anymore at ESPN so it may be suspended. They don't have a play by play to give any details, sadly. Come to Norf London Jozy!
   1465. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:26 PM (#4357647)
Seems to have restarted with AZ up 4-0.
   1466. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:31 PM (#4357651)
5-0 now but no one will tell me who scored the 5th goal. Hopefully it was Jozy.

edit: Nope, it was Adam Maher with the 5th goal.
   1467. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:32 PM (#4357652)
5-0 now. Keep pouring it on.

Shooty it was Maher.
   1468. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:48 PM (#4357667)
   1469. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2013 at 04:55 PM (#4357676)
A much better response from the Den Bosch director than from Lazio's, for damned sure.
   1470. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 05:04 PM (#4357692)
Offensive explosion for Stoke today. Wigan can leap frog Aston Villa out of the zone if they can pull level. Roger Espinoza with an assist for Wigan.
   1471. Mattbert Posted: January 29, 2013 at 05:08 PM (#4357697)
Look at DA Baracadamus over there. Di Santo equalizes for the Latics.
   1472. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 05:15 PM (#4357706)
Note to self, get a Powerball ticket on the way home tonight.
   1473. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2013 at 05:25 PM (#4357713)
Still scoreless at Loftus Road.

Edit: City have gotten desperate. They've put on Scott Sinclair!
   1474. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 05:39 PM (#4357730)
Ends scoreless, Villa lose, Juventus equalize in injury time to send their Coppa Italia semi with Lazio to extra time.
   1475. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 05:40 PM (#4357732)
And by the time I type that Lazio score, so it looks like no extra time after all
   1476. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 05:43 PM (#4357736)
And then Marchisio misses an empty net at the death.

Lazio in the final.
   1477. Topher Posted: January 29, 2013 at 06:05 PM (#4357754)
   1478. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2013 at 06:56 PM (#4357810)
Wait why is there a US friendly tonight and a Mexico-Denmark friendly tomorrow? Who's going to be playing in those games?
   1479. Topher Posted: January 29, 2013 at 07:05 PM (#4357814)
The US roster is a bunch of guys that mostly got pulled away from MLS training camps. Mix Diskerud is there too but that's because the Norwegian League isn't active.

Pretty good chance for some guys (notably Omar Gonzalez) to show they deserve to be on the team for the qualifiers this year.
   1480. ursus arctos Posted: January 29, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4357818)
The Mexico game isn't even against Denmark's first team, but rather a Danish League XI.
   1481. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 07:13 PM (#4357819)
Today's USMNT game is basically an audition for a lot of guys for the Gold Cup and for Gonzalez, Besler and Feilhaber for WCQ.

Although Gonzalez shouldn't need one.
   1482. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: January 29, 2013 at 07:39 PM (#4357827)
Paul Scholes discovers today that if you leave your car running and wander away, someone will come and take it. So for the record, we found something he's worst at than tackling.
   1483. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 07:45 PM (#4357831)
"I tried to stop them, but you know, I couldn't."
   1484. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: January 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM (#4357890)
Omar Gonzalez looks like Hannah's kinda sorta boyfriend on Girls.

That's all I really have to say about this game right now.
   1485. Mefisto Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM (#4357906)
Man, this game is ugly. Whatever the record is for back passes under no pressure, the US is going to set it.
   1486. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM (#4357923)
This team has trained together for 3 weeks.

Canada lost to the Danish League XI 4-0.

Good job Klinsmann.

Philipp Lahm knows what you mean.

This x100.
   1487. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM (#4357935)
Were people expecting the score to be like 10-0 by now?
   1488. DA Baracus Posted: January 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM (#4357942)
I'd like a goal. A single goal. Preferably from open play. Apparently that is too much to ask.
   1489. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: January 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM (#4357959)
Welp that sucked.
   1490. Tike Redman's Shattered Dreams (shayborg) Posted: January 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM (#4357960)
That was just about the most boring soccer game I've ever seen. I literally got distracted from a sporting event by law school reading.
   1491. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: January 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM (#4357962)
"Half-back passes to the center... back to the wing... back to the center... Center holds it... holds it... holds it...."
   1492. DA Baracus Posted: January 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM (#4357964)
That was the best 90 minute nap I've ever had.

That was just about the most boring soccer game I've ever seen. I literally got distracted from a sporting event by law school reading.

If you want to retire from the internet and go out on top, I'll understand.
   1493. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 30, 2013 at 03:50 AM (#4358030)
So, if I'm reading you guys right, this game was sort of boring?

Seattle move from being one of the potential favorites for the NWSL title to missing three of their key players to start the season, plus Rodriguez for the entire year (the last for good reason, mind!). They'll probably be allotted a fifth free agent choice (Chicago got one after LePeilbet's season-ending injury and WNY had one for the whole period due to only drafting two Americans), but it's a pretty big blow to one of the teams who looked stronger after the initial allocation. Also, I imagine, it's not good for Rodriguez's long-term plans under Sermanni; she did struggle a lot for form in her last few years under Sundhage after all.
   1494. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 30, 2013 at 04:00 AM (#4358033)
Oh man, I love that Chicago logo. What better way to sell Women's Soccer than a red star with a C in the middle? I almost want one so people will ask me why I'm walking around with a communist shirt.
   1495. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 30, 2013 at 04:05 AM (#4358035)
Haha, sadly they never had that as on their jerseys (it's normally blue with white stripes and the logo in their twitter picture), but now I'm really hoping they changed it this year just so that it looks like a communist shirt.

Also, I love how they've updated their main page (it's really nice now!), but their tickets/gear page has the same geocities-esque feel as before.
   1496. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 30, 2013 at 08:51 AM (#4358056)
Hoo boy. I'm glad I didn't stay up to watch the Nats last night.
   1497. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 30, 2013 at 09:17 AM (#4358063)
Spurs really need a striker

I'm no doctor, but this sounds like the horse placenta BS Van der Vaart used to try. It has always seemed to me that rushing players back from injury doesn't end well. This explains some of the ITK confusion about Defoe's injury. It sounds like he SHOULD be out for 4 weeks but they are going to push him into the Norwich match anyway.
   1498. Mattbert Posted: January 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM (#4358101)
I'm no doctor, but this sounds like the horse placenta BS Van der Vaart used to try.

To be honest, it sounds more like the kind of thing that led to Lance Armstrong sitting down with Oprah a little while ago. Yikes.
   1499. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM (#4358105)
Transfer news!

The big news are transfers that have been announced but suddenly are sort of unannounced. Shanghai Shenua claim Drogba is still under contract to them, the Leroy Fer transfer looks shaky because of the medical and Twente don't like Everton's installment plan method of paying, and Inter are dragging their feet on the Coutinho deal until they can lock down a couple of incoming players. Seems like the Fer deal is the one of those most in jeopardy. Chelsea tried to sign Jack Butland even though they have a fine keeper already on loan at Atletico. Fulham are trying to sign Tom Huddlestone. Supposedly QPR have met Kris Samba's release clause.
   1500. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM (#4358106)
To be honest, it sounds more like the kind of thing that led to Lance Armstrong sitting down with Oprah a little while ago. Yikes.

They really should just let him rest despite the lack of available strikers. It may work out fine, but I am not on board with this.
Page 15 of 18 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.