Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, January 05, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread January, 2014

With no Champions League or international matches of note, it’s all about the clubs an cup competitions this month:

January 6th: Lazio vs Inter
January 7th: Sunderland vs Man U in the League Cup, Valencia vs Atleti in Copa del Rey
January 8th: West Ham vs Man City in the League Cup
January 10th: Leicester City vs Derby in an important promotion game, Montpelier vs Monaco in Ligue Uhn.
January 11th: Cardiff vs West Ham in a relegation 6 pointer, will Man U lose to Swansea at home again?, but the day’s HUGE game is Barcelona hosting Atletico Madrid. This could decide La Liga.
January 12th: Newcastle vs Man City
January 13th: Aston Villa vs Arsenal
January 14th: FA Cup replays featuring Fulham vs Norwich, second leg of Valencia and Atleti in the Copa del Rey
January 15th: Man City host Blackburn in an FA Cup replay, Lyon vs Marseilles in the French Cup
January 17th: St. Etienne vs Lille
January 18th: Lots of games, no real standouts
January 19th: Swansea vs Spurs, Chelsea vs Man U
January 20th: West Brom vs Everton
January 21st: West Ham vs Man City in the League Cup
January 22nd: Man U vs Sunderland in the League Cup
January 24th: Monchengladbach vs Bayern Munich, not that it really matters
January 25th: FA Cup 4th round featuring Chelsea vs Stoke, Lazio vs Juventus, Monaco vs Marseilles
January 26th: Barca vs Malaga
January 28th: Liverpool vs Everton, Southampton vs Arsenal
January 29th: Tottenahm Hotspur FC vs Man City, Stuttgart vs Bayern
January 31st: Feyenoord vs Chelsea B in Holland, Braunschweig vs Borussia Dortmund

I’d say that Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid is the game of the month and declare it the BBTF Off Topic Game of the Month! Be there!

Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 05, 2014 at 05:16 PM | 1016 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11
   1001. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 02, 2014 at 01:52 PM (#4664882)
Flop.
   1002. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 02, 2014 at 01:54 PM (#4664884)
Wonderful match and both sides deserved a point. As the announcer noted, Simone made a mistake by not using more of his substitutes near the end. You could visibly see that Atletico was drained and needed fresh legs in midfield.
   1003. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 02, 2014 at 02:00 PM (#4664885)
Khal Sandro!
   1004. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 02, 2014 at 02:10 PM (#4664893)
Tim Sherwood to Khal Sandro: What is best in life?
Khal Sandro: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
   1005. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 02, 2014 at 02:14 PM (#4664897)
I can't imagine the pain of you Spurs fans this season (not that I completely mind). Watching a side that is so clearly dominating a game in the middle, but can't find clear chances would drive me insane. Cardiff are terrible today and I can't believe that Spurs only have one.
   1006. Howling John Shade Posted: March 02, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4664906)
Spurs have mastered the art of incredibly slow ball movement coupled with no off-the-ball runs. Switching back and forth between AM/RM and this game was kind of hilarious. But hey, I'm happy for Soldado, and Sandro's beard is awesome.
   1007. Spivey Posted: March 02, 2014 at 02:57 PM (#4664913)
I don't know that it would actually happen, but jesus it seems like Man U and Tottenham could make a trade. Kagawa for Dembele and a little cash seems like a deal that would help both sides.
   1008. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 02, 2014 at 05:01 PM (#4664966)
Spurs have mastered the art of incredibly slow ball movement

Spurs attacks move with all the speed and urgency of a change of seasons. Frankly, video of Spurs "build-up" play should be packaged and marketed to insomniacs ...
   1009. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 02, 2014 at 06:36 PM (#4665006)
Spurs attacks move with all the speed and urgency of a change of seasons. Frankly, video of Spurs "build-up" play should be packaged and marketed to insomniacs ...

That's AVB's legacy, unfortunately. It's no coincidence they scored their goal today on a classic Tottenham counter attack at breakneck pace. More of that please. Let Chelsea and Arsenal and Liverpool have the ball and hit them on the counter. Townsend, Lennon, Chadli, Adebayor...those guys were born for countering. Please make it so Lord Sherwood.

March thread should be up soon.
   1010. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 02, 2014 at 06:54 PM (#4665012)
That's AVB's legacy, unfortunately.

Is it though? I mean, it's been nearly a half-season since Sherwood took over and there hasn't been any noticeable change or improvement. They're still standing around as if they're waiting for Bale to show up and do something brilliant. At this point, it really seems like Levy needs to bring someone in who will tear out things out by the root and rebuild the foundations of the club ...
   1011. Spivey Posted: March 02, 2014 at 07:04 PM (#4665014)
I don't know that I feel Tottenham needs massive overhauls as much as they need an Aguero or a Suarez. I mean, we all obviously agree that if Suarez were on Tottenham and Soldado were on Liverpool that Tottenham would be in the title race and Liverpool would be around Southampton territory. The trouble is that Tottenham could have become the best team in the league if they had Modric and Bale. They need a guy that can be a great passer or a guy that can pull goals out of thin air, they had them, and they left.
   1012. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 02, 2014 at 07:06 PM (#4665015)
Is it though? I mean, it's been nearly a half-season since Sherwood took over and there hasn't been any noticeable change or improvement. They're still standing around as if they're waiting for Bale to show up and do something brilliant. At this point, it really seems like Levy needs to bring someone in who will tear out things out by the root and rebuild the foundations of the club ...

I think it is. They still fall back into that and the CB's still tend to creep up and play a high line on occasion. I don't think you can erase those tendencies so quickly. You can see Sherwood screaming at them when the pace slows down so I think he's aware of the problem but it's been baby steps so far. Today was a tough one to judge, though, with Cardiff playing 5 at the back and sitting back most of the game. It was really crowded in the middle and with Walker and Rose on the shelf, Spurs didn't have fullbacks overlapping as they normally would to create some width. Townsend still likes to cut in and narrow things even more though Lennon created some havoc on occasion when he stayed wide and attacked Cardiff's fullback. It wasn't a great performance overall and I thought they turned off after scoring the goal and Cardiff just weren't good enough to punish Spurs for it. Chelsea and Arsenal won't be too worried by the film of this one. Spurs still seem to me to be a team that doesn't know what it is yet.
   1013. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 02, 2014 at 07:24 PM (#4665018)
I mean, we all obviously agree that if Suarez were on Tottenham and Soldado were on Liverpool that Tottenham would be in the title race and Liverpool would be around Southampton territory.

I don't think I do. I mean, look, Suarez is world class and that really matters and Soldado isn't near that class at all ... but, he's not some chump either. I think if you swapped them, Soldado might just have more goals at this point. I've watched every Spurs match this season so far and their delivery to their strikers is godfuckingawful. Suarez could, by himself, overcome some of that because he can create for himself, but the reality is that anyone who takes the point for this Spurs team is going to be wanting for quality service. Put Soldado on the Reds, with Sturridge and the rest of the supporting cast and I think he'd be doing very well indeed. His major problem this season is that he gets one or two balls a game to do something with, which is a terribly thin margin to live on ...

I think it is. They still fall back into that and the CB's still tend to creep up and play a high line on occasion. I don't think you can erase those tendencies so quickly.

Fall back into it? They almost never come out of it. That's why the counter-attack today was so staggeringly, blindingly noticeable, for once they looked incisive.

This can't just be some sort of lingering hangover ... it's either the staff or the players and either way, wholesale changes are going to need to be made if Spurs actually want to reach the CL ...
   1014. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 02, 2014 at 07:26 PM (#4665019)
The US team for Wednesday's friendly. I'd say Julian Green is the most interesting name and Juan Agudela is back!

Goalkeepers: Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders: John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Oguchi Onyewu (Sheffield Wednesday), Will Packwood (Birmingham City)

Midfielders: Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Barnsley), Danny Williams (Reading)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (Utrecht), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar)
   1015. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 02, 2014 at 07:31 PM (#4665022)
I'd say Julian Green is the most interesting name

True, but he isn't going to play, he's just in camp to experience the "American way" or something; Klinsmann is hoping he can wow (or woo) him into a cap in the future.
   1016. Howling John Shade Posted: March 02, 2014 at 07:42 PM (#4665025)
I think it is. They still fall back into that and the CB's still tend to creep up and play a high line on occasion. I don't think you can erase those tendencies so quickly. You can see Sherwood screaming at them when the pace slows down so I think he's aware of the problem but it's been baby steps so far. Today was a tough one to judge, though, with Cardiff playing 5 at the back and sitting back most of the game. It was really crowded in the middle and with Walker and Rose on the shelf, Spurs didn't have fullbacks overlapping as they normally would to create some width. Townsend still likes to cut in and narrow things even more though Lennon created some havoc on occasion when he stayed wide and attacked Cardiff's fullback. It wasn't a great performance overall and I thought they turned off after scoring the goal and Cardiff just weren't good enough to punish Spurs for it. Chelsea and Arsenal won't be too worried by the film of this one. Spurs still seem to me to be a team that doesn't know what it is yet.
I think that part of it is coaching, but I also think that the pieces in the midfield don't fit together at all. Both Dembele and Paulinho are probably most useful when they're played in an attacking midfield role, but Eriksen is clearly the choice there. When either of them play deeper alongside a DM, or when (god forbid) they play together, the ball just dies in the center of the park. Dembele's one outstanding skill is his ability to go past defenders, but that's wasted as a deep-lying midfielder because it doesn't put the defense under much stress when he does that at the halfway line.

If I had to pick a midfield three from Spurs roster (with everyone healthy), it would be Sandro-Bentaleb-Eriksen. Bentaleb is miscast as a defensive midfielder but he seems to have the touch and accurate passing to at least keep the ball moving.

Seeing these players with a coach we know is good would be interesting though. Possibly it is all just the result of a failed system.
Page 11 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.