Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, January 05, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread January, 2014

With no Champions League or international matches of note, it’s all about the clubs an cup competitions this month:

January 6th: Lazio vs Inter
January 7th: Sunderland vs Man U in the League Cup, Valencia vs Atleti in Copa del Rey
January 8th: West Ham vs Man City in the League Cup
January 10th: Leicester City vs Derby in an important promotion game, Montpelier vs Monaco in Ligue Uhn.
January 11th: Cardiff vs West Ham in a relegation 6 pointer, will Man U lose to Swansea at home again?, but the day’s HUGE game is Barcelona hosting Atletico Madrid. This could decide La Liga.
January 12th: Newcastle vs Man City
January 13th: Aston Villa vs Arsenal
January 14th: FA Cup replays featuring Fulham vs Norwich, second leg of Valencia and Atleti in the Copa del Rey
January 15th: Man City host Blackburn in an FA Cup replay, Lyon vs Marseilles in the French Cup
January 17th: St. Etienne vs Lille
January 18th: Lots of games, no real standouts
January 19th: Swansea vs Spurs, Chelsea vs Man U
January 20th: West Brom vs Everton
January 21st: West Ham vs Man City in the League Cup
January 22nd: Man U vs Sunderland in the League Cup
January 24th: Monchengladbach vs Bayern Munich, not that it really matters
January 25th: FA Cup 4th round featuring Chelsea vs Stoke, Lazio vs Juventus, Monaco vs Marseilles
January 26th: Barca vs Malaga
January 28th: Liverpool vs Everton, Southampton vs Arsenal
January 29th: Tottenahm Hotspur FC vs Man City, Stuttgart vs Bayern
January 31st: Feyenoord vs Chelsea B in Holland, Braunschweig vs Borussia Dortmund

I’d say that Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid is the game of the month and declare it the BBTF Off Topic Game of the Month! Be there!

Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 05, 2014 at 05:16 PM | 1016 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 6 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > 
   501. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 23, 2014 at 04:35 PM (#4645244)
Not a lot of build up play in this game. These guys just go for it.
   502. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 23, 2014 at 04:43 PM (#4645251)
Diego Costa booked for slyly slapping a player. To be fair, it wasn't much of a slap and the Bilbao player was kind of a wuss about it.
   503. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM (#4645521)
Wenger Always Complains

I love the Mourinho-Wenger sniping. They need to bring back Special One TV already.
   504. Mefisto Posted: January 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM (#4645561)
Progress -- they're going to use the vanishing spray in the Champions League and Europa League.
   505. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM (#4645569)
   506. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM (#4645635)
Not knowing anything about British Immigration law, but could Zelalem get residency in the UK (whatever their equivalent of a green card is) and then get his full US citizenship?

This Mata transfer is taking forever to finalize. A lot of people are saying that Mourinho will pull the rug out at the last minute just to piss everyone off, but I find that unlikely. Eventually Roman will get pissed at Mourinho and fire him so Mourinho doesn't want to close that door to the United job over a guy he clearly doesn't even really want.
   507. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM (#4645640)
Not knowing anything about British Immigration law, but could Zelalem get residency in the UK (whatever their equivalent of a green card is) and then get his full US citizenship?

I think it will depend on what he wants to do. If he wants to represent the USA, I'm sure he can get a work permit. I'd be shocked if Arsenal couldn't make that happen but, if it became an issue, I bet he'd start getting some senior caps with the Nats to solve that problem. It would be a bummer to miss out on him. I completely understand the German-American guys who don't even speak English don't want to to play for us, but this kid came of age as a player here and thinks of himself as American. Unlike with Subotic, it sounds like Klinsmann and the US Soccer are trying hard not to screw it up.
   508. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 24, 2014 at 01:03 PM (#4645660)
Is he allowed to play for the US even if he isn't a citizen? If he does then it would require him to give up his German citizenship, which would then require a work permit to keep playing in England. Agudelo didn't get his work permit approved. Granted if Zelalem is breaking into the Arsenal first team (even on the bench) at 17 or 18, then he shouldn't have trouble getting playing time for the national team, especially since Donovan and Dempsey are getting older.
   509. Mefisto Posted: January 24, 2014 at 03:08 PM (#4645812)
USWNT roster for their upcoming games:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Nicole Barnhart (FC Kansas City), Jill Loyden (Sky Blue FC), Hope Solo (Seattle Reign FC)
DEFENDERS (9): Stephanie Cox (Seattle Reign FC), Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Whitney Engen (Tyresö), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Kristie Mewis (Boston Breakers), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Christie Rampone (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Rachel Van Hollebeke (Portland Thorns FC)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Virginia), Lauren Holiday (FC Kansas City), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Carli Lloyd (WNY Flash), Samantha Mewis (UCLA), Heather O’Reilly (Boston Breakers), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC), Erika Tymrak (FC Kansas City)
FORWARDS (4): Sydney Leroux (Seattle Reign FC), Christen Press (Tyresö), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Abby Wambach (WNY Flash)

Some very interesting features to this. Morgan, of course, is out injured, but calling back ARod seems... strange. Lots of new (or relatively new) faces here: Dunn; Van Hollebeke; Brian; Johnston; Samantha Mewis; Tymrak. This year's draft had a lot of talent, and Sermanni obviously wants to give them chances.
   510. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 24, 2014 at 03:11 PM (#4645815)
   511. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 24, 2014 at 03:14 PM (#4645819)
Is he allowed to play for the US even if he isn't a citizen? If he does then it would require him to give up his German citizenship, which would then require a work permit to keep playing in England. Agudelo didn't get his work permit approved. Granted if Zelalem is breaking into the Arsenal first team (even on the bench) at 17 or 18, then he shouldn't have trouble getting playing time for the national team, especially since Donovan and Dempsey are getting older.

Well, he couldn't play until he has citizenship but he won't lose his German national status until he gains US citizenship and as long as he's a German national he doesn't need a work permit to play in England. It's all kind of nutty.
   512. PepTech Posted: January 24, 2014 at 03:50 PM (#4645854)
Both Sheffields still in the FA Cup!!! I cut my teeth on football in 1991 when it was the only international sporting event I could find on Japanese TV. I dream of a Sheffield derby at Wembley.

Remind me, who does Manchester United have in the 4th round?
   513. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 24, 2014 at 04:58 PM (#4645914)
Another American hopefully soon-to-be-playing for a top club. I think if Germany wants him, they'll get him.
   514. Flynn Posted: January 24, 2014 at 07:32 PM (#4645993)
German citizenship is a lot more subtle than Hynter's article suggests. You can become a dual citizen if you have family or property ties to Germany and another country. It seems like a good immigration lawyer could make that work for Zelalem.

I don't know if Zelalem is being advised by an immigration lawyer but I am skeptical a football journalist has figured out German nationality law beyond a doubt through Googling.
   515. Swedish Chef Posted: January 24, 2014 at 08:07 PM (#4646002)
Seems like Barca paid a whole lot more for Neymar than they said earlier

I remember when he was a steal for €20M...

The Barça director Raul Sanllehi reiterated the transfer on its own had cost €57.1m, comprising €17.1m to Santos and €40m as a "compensation fee" paid to a company owned by Neymar's parents.

He also detailed other payments around the transfer such as a signing bonus of €10m and various other fees paid to the family that took the total cost to €86.2m.

But of course they didn't lie, because those other thirty mill weren't part of the transfer itself.
   516. Swedish Chef Posted: January 24, 2014 at 08:26 PM (#4646006)
On the bright side, if Neymar retired tomorrow it would still be a better deal for Barcelona than buying and selling Zlatan was.
   517. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 24, 2014 at 08:34 PM (#4646009)
German citizenship is a lot more subtle than Hynter's article suggests. You can become a dual citizen if you have family or property ties to Germany and another country. It seems like a good immigration lawyer could make that work for Zelalem.

The problem (at least from Klinsmann's and the US perspective) is that he's not a US citizen and to become one would have to renounce any other citizenship if were to become one. He's "safe" in the UK as long as he's maintains his German citizenship.
   518. Richard Posted: January 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM (#4646047)
I dream of a Sheffield derby at Wembley.

Saw one in 1993. It was a lot of fun for the first 35 seconds.
   519. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM (#4646051)
Arsenal v Coventry City wasn't much of a game, but the 1st ~45 minutes, when the FoxSoccer.tv feed had no announcers (Yay! Incompetence!) and nothing but the crowd noise and the stadium ambiance ... was *pure* heaven.
   520. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM (#4646133)
West Ham have signed Nocerino and Borriello on loan. I can't wait to see how Allardyce incorporates a couple of suave Italians into his blood and guts longball team.

Wayne Rooney signs an extension with Man U at 300k a week.
   521. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM (#4646139)
RVP must be out for longer than they are saying. Mata really makes absolutely no sense now. Unless United are going 4-3-1-2 - and they definitely don't have the midfielders to do that.
   522. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM (#4646148)
Even better news for West Ham

Di Canio also relishes his connection with West Ham, whose supporters have chanted his name during their alarming slump under Sam Allardyce. "They were chanting my name four years ago when I wasn't a manager," added Di Canio in an interview on BBC's Football Focus. "Because my experience there was like they were my family. Everybody knows this [it would be special to go back there] but I don't want to say this now because it is not fair. All I can say is, one day before the end, whether they go up or down and what players they give to me, it will happen, it's obvious. That is my destiny."
   523. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: January 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM (#4646157)
Go Watford!

Edit. 2-0!
   524. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM (#4646175)
Freiburg! Leverkusen are going to need an aspirin! (sorry)

Actually found and English language feed for the game.
   525. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM (#4646176)
Oguchi Onyewu with a goal! USA! USA!
   526. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: January 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM (#4646185)
Go Watford!

Edit. 2-0!

2-2 late.

Sunderland have let Kidderminster hang around despite outplaying them and oh my Kidderminster JUST miss a great chance.
   527. Spivey Posted: January 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM (#4646186)
What the hell is the deal with Fellaini? This wasn't just some nepotism type move from Moyes. He has been a very good, if inconsistent, midfielder and in previous years looked like years better than ####### Cleverly.
   528. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: January 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM (#4646189)
Oguchi Onyewu with a goal! USA! USA!

If Gooch is fit does he go to Brazil? I wouldn't want him counted on as a 90 minute man but an experienced hand to act as a mentor for Gonzalez, Besler etc...and maybe be a guy to come on and see out a lead for the final 15 minutes? Am I just dreaming at this point?
   529. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM (#4646190)
The dream is dead for Watford.
   530. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: January 25, 2014 at 01:00 PM (#4646201)
Rob Stone's "The American!" schtick kills me. I chuckle every time he breaks it out.
   531. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 25, 2014 at 01:11 PM (#4646208)
If Gooch plays well for Wednesday for the rest of the season, he should go. Its not like the US is blessed with tons of depth there.

Fellaini played in a more advanced role for the Everton the past two seasons where they would hoof it up him and he would knock it down for runners. He's never been the most mobile and United doesn't cater to his strengths. He has a nice touch but he's not the greatest of passers.
   532. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM (#4646381)
Well ... shades of Wigan in 2013!

Crystal Palace got themselves relegated in my first FM 2014 season (20th in the PL, actually) ... and then capped that dreadful run by .... winning the FA Cup!
   533. Flynn Posted: January 26, 2014 at 06:46 AM (#4646411)

The problem (at least from Klinsmann's and the US perspective) is that he's not a US citizen and to become one would have to renounce any other citizenship if were to become one. He's "safe" in the UK as long as he's maintains his German citizenship.

Um, you don't have to renounce your citizenship to become a US citizen and haven't had to for about 50 years.
   534. Swedish Chef Posted: January 26, 2014 at 07:28 AM (#4646413)
Southampton Suspect Pablo Osvaldo Headbutted Team-Mate Jose Fonte in Deliberate Attempt to force Saints Exit

It seems Osvaldo started the process of pushing for an exit back in October when he complained about the physicality of the game in the English top tier and his hope to secure a move back to his native Argentina, stating:

“Football here is so physical. It does not have the technique and quality that is in Spain. I am already thinking about moving back to Argentina.

Seems to me he doesn't have any problems getting physical.
   535. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM (#4646427)
Um, you don't have to renounce your citizenship to become a US citizen and haven't had to for about 50 years.

Hmm... for some reason I thought that you had to renounce any other citizenship if you got naturalized. Since that's the case what's the big deal for Zelalem to become a US citizen then (other than the normal INS/ICE stuff if he really wants to)?
   536. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM (#4646456)
Osvaldo is a well known nutcase, so Southampton shouldn't be too shocked. He punched Erik Lamela last year for not passing to him when he thought he should have.
   537. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM (#4646457)
   538. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 26, 2014 at 01:00 PM (#4646460)
UEFA has lost it's damned mind

France is going to take part in Euros qualifying but the games won't count towards the standings. I have no idea why they're even bothering with qualifying since every reasonable team in Europe is practically guaranteed the finals.
   539. Swedish Chef Posted: January 26, 2014 at 01:31 PM (#4646473)
I have no idea why they're even bothering with qualifying since every reasonable team in Europe is practically guaranteed the finals.

So how would you select who gets to go of the Norways, Serbias and Bulgarias? There are more reasonable teams in Europe than you think...
   540. Baldrick Posted: January 26, 2014 at 02:03 PM (#4646477)
Now, there will be 51 games rather than 31, and only eight of the 24 teams will be eliminated after the group stage. Even the Uefa general secretary, Gianni Infantino, has described it as "not ideal," but that is an understatement when four of the third?placed teams, from six groups of four, will still go into the first knockout round.

Why even bother having a first round? Jesus.
   541. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 26, 2014 at 02:04 PM (#4646478)
Norways, Serbias and Bulgarias?

They are all terrible! Really, though, they should keep it at 16 teams and have prequalifiers to weed out the minnows like San Marino, Gibraltar, etc so that the qualification process has some real drama to it. The finals should be the culmination of a dramatic process instead of just the climax to a long slog of games without a lot of interest.
   542. Baldrick Posted: January 26, 2014 at 02:21 PM (#4646480)
With this system you could very easily have a team like Latvia end up in a group with Germany, Ireland, Slovakia, Moldova, and Gibraltar. Germany beats everyone, Gibraltar loses to everyone. Which means you have a four team round robin, from which two teams will move on. One automatically and one through the playoffs.

Let's say Latvia win a couple matches at home (against Moldova and Ireland), and draw a couple more. That's enough to get them third place in their group. They then go to the playoff where they manage to take Norway to penalties and win.

That puts them in the finals, where they end up in a group with the Czech Republic, who they manage to scrape a win against. That gives them 3 points in their group, which is enough to make them the 4th best 3rd place team. Which sends them into the knockout rounds.

Where they get beaten 8-0 by Spain.

Yay?
   543. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 26, 2014 at 04:41 PM (#4646519)
From the article Shooty posted:

At the same meeting, Uefa's bigwigs are expected to discuss another of their recent brainwaves, namely replacing international friendlies from 2018 with a competition called the Nations League, featuring nine different divisions, with relegation and promotion and prize money for the ultimate champions.

This would actually be pretty cool. So it probably won't happen.
   544. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM (#4646692)
   545. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM (#4646710)
If this is true, then United should have gotten rid of Rooney in the summer. Rooney is a great player but come on - this is football, not basketball - one player can't wield this much power and dictate transfers.
   546. DA Baracus Posted: January 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM (#4646714)
one player can't wield this much power and dictate transfers.

He's not. It pretty clearly states he was only told of the plans. He is not being given any power to dictate transfers.
   547. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4646728)
Ok maybe not exactly "dictate," but he can complain that United aren't buying so-and-so or this guy isn't good enough. They're placating a difficult, albeit talented, player and despite being unhappy enough at various times to want to leave only seems to be happy only immediately after he renegotiates his contract.
   548. DA Baracus Posted: January 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM (#4646736)
He can complain all he wants, he has no say. They're allowing him to sit behind a one way mirror. And immediately after doing so, Rooney and ManU started talks on a contract extension.
   549. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: January 27, 2014 at 02:02 PM (#4646787)
Ok maybe not exactly "dictate," but he can complain that United aren't buying so-and-so or this guy isn't good enough. They're placating a difficult, albeit talented, player and despite being unhappy enough at various times to want to leave only seems to be happy only immediately after he renegotiates his contract.

Is there any reason to believe this is not pretty common? I'd assume that star players who have been with their teams for awhile have similar input opportunities.
   550. jmurph Posted: January 28, 2014 at 01:28 PM (#4647390)
Lots of good games this week, starting with Liverpool-Everton today and Manchester City-Tottenham tomorrow. Big week for City, at Tottenham and then home to Chelsea; I'm hoping for 4 points from those games, and anything less would make things uncomfortable for a bit.
   551. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 28, 2014 at 02:04 PM (#4647418)
I'm wondering if Mata plays for United today. I'm guessing Fabio's deal to Cardiff normally would have been "held up" until after the game to avoid any potential embarrassments, but I think he's still suspended anyway.

Is there any reason to believe this is not pretty common? I'd assume that star players who have been with their teams for awhile have similar input opportunities.

I guess it depends on the owner/manager, but I can't imagine it being too common with the way squads churn these days. I'd imagine Terry/Lampard and Gerrard are probably the only ones with that kind of stature. It would seem to create too many problems - would Gerrard object to Liverpool wanting to buy a couple of midfielders? I would guess Rooney would have thrown an even bigger hissy fit if he had "advise and consent" on the RVP signing.
   552. ursus arctos Posted: January 28, 2014 at 02:09 PM (#4647425)
It actually makes more sense in Rooney's situation than it does for the likes of Terry, Lampard or Gerrard.

Rooney has publicly expressed doubts about the scale of Man Utd's ambition when it comes to bringing in quality new players. If the club decides that they want to sign him to an extension, you can see why they would want to try to convince him that he was misjudging their plans.

I don't see it as qualitatively different than what happens when baddish baseball teams try to entice free agents with talk of a "project".
   553. Swedish Chef Posted: January 28, 2014 at 03:17 PM (#4647486)
I guess it depends on the owner/manager, but I can't imagine it being too common with the way squads churn these days. I'd imagine Terry/Lampard and Gerrard are probably the only ones with that kind of stature.

Several previous Chelsea managers would probably have been very happy if Terry and Lampard had been content with just having input and not going over their head to undermine them.
   554. Wins Above Paul Westerberg Posted: January 28, 2014 at 03:25 PM (#4647496)
The inevitable happened: Cabaye left for PSG. I don't blame him, but this still really hurts. Newcastle is just a very different team without him, and while I like Vurnon Anita, and am glad to see him get regular minutes, he's not a physical presence at all. NUFC is now VERY thin. Tiote's been good, but can't score, and likes picking up yellows, and I could see this second half tanking pretty quickly.

But what am I saying. Kinnear is scouting, and Ashley is sure to wisely reinvest their transfer windfall.

Efffffff...
   555. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 28, 2014 at 03:40 PM (#4647508)
Liverpool are playing a 4-2-4 again in the Merseyside Derby. Maybe a 4-2-1-3, either way, wow. With Lucas and Allen out, options in central midfield are limited, but Gerrard-Henderson are likely to get dominated even worse than this lineup did vs. Aston Villa. At the same time, that front four will score goals. This should be fun
   556. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: January 28, 2014 at 03:44 PM (#4647516)
Is Ashley really not to be trusted with a transfer windfall? I don't see any big blunders by Newcastle in that department.

Purchases since 2010 based on Transfermarkt.com:

Tiote 3M euros
Ben Arfa 6M euros
James Perch 1.2M euros
Cabaye 5M euros, that was profitable
Papiss D.C. for 12M euros…
Santon for 5.6M euros…
Obertan for 3.4M euros…
Demba Ba, free transfer, that was profitable
Sissoko for 2.5M euros
Haidara for 2.5M euros
Debuchy for 6.2M euros
Yanga-Mbiwa for 8M euros
Anita for 8.5M euros
Gouffran for 2M euros

I confess I did not think Anita was nearly that expensive. And I don't know who Haidara is. But that list could be a lot worse.
   557. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 28, 2014 at 03:48 PM (#4647519)
RVP returns to the lineup and Mata starts... unfortunately Giggs is playing midfield.
   558. Wins Above Paul Westerberg Posted: January 28, 2014 at 03:55 PM (#4647526)
It's not that the current Newcastle regime is bad with signings, but they rarely work within the same window. When they sold Carroll for 35 mil, they brought in nothing (admittedly, they sold him 8 hours before the window closed). They spent this whole summer talking about how they need to revamp the front, but only bring in one guy (who, again, has been good). Now they dump their best mid, and replace him with...Luuk De Jong? I can only assume they'll wait until summer then to fill their midfield needs.

They operate only in hindsight, and I think they're good enough to try and push a little harder in the immediate future.
   559. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 28, 2014 at 04:01 PM (#4647535)
Doesn't Ashley want to sell the team? At this point they're safe from relegation and only the most optimistic fans think they can get into Europe. Even if they did qualify their most recent season in Europe almost got them relegated.
   560. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 28, 2014 at 04:08 PM (#4647543)
Mata's left foot is so amazing.
   561. ursus arctos Posted: January 28, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4647570)
Lukaku stretchered off. Reportedly his ankle.
   562. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 28, 2014 at 04:35 PM (#4647574)
At the same time, that front four will score goals.

Sure seems that way, doesn't it?
   563. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 28, 2014 at 04:40 PM (#4647579)
I have a bad feeling Southampton are going to regret not scoring more than one goal in the first half, with the amount of chances they've had.
   564. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 28, 2014 at 05:30 PM (#4647603)
NWSL bit: Houston pick up Aya Sameshima, the Japanese national team left back. She started every match in the 2011 World Cup (and was quite good imho)* and becomes the first Japanese player in the NWSL's brief history.

*she also played in the WPS with Boston, so she's not unfamiliar to the US.
   565. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 28, 2014 at 05:50 PM (#4647624)
McGregor sent off for being immature (as he has repeatedly been for the match), so Hull City are playing Tom Huddlestone in goal for the last few minutes.
   566. Dale Sams Posted: January 28, 2014 at 06:07 PM (#4647640)
Sorry if I'm the last person in the world to realize that Steven Gerrard looks like Jason Bateman.
   567. JuanGone..except1game Posted: January 28, 2014 at 06:09 PM (#4647642)
RVP returns to the lineup and Mata starts... unfortunately Giggs is playing midfield..

Way to soon. I'm going to have to wait at least another few weeks before watching ManU. My heart needs time to heal.

It's not that the current Newcastle regime is bad with signings, but they rarely work within the same window.

I think Newcastle is perfectly content to be a mid-table club while avoiding Europa, which is probably what their ambition should be. Too bad about Cabaye, but they at least got a good amount for him.

568. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 28, 2014 at 06:10 PM (#4647643)
I have a bad feeling Southampton are going to regret not scoring more than one goal in the first half, with the amount of chances they've had.

This ended up being correct, and Southampton had a bunch of spurned chances in the second half also. It's almost highway robbery that Arsenal even got a point.
   569. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 28, 2014 at 06:22 PM (#4647651)
I'm not really a fan* of Grantland's football coverage, but as far as "Soccer Players You Should Know Before the World Cup" go [implicit: who you might not know], Juan Cuadrado is the first name that comes to mind for me (I assume most people in this thread have their pet selections too). Totally different type of player from the type of player I support/enjoy, but he's crazy and hypnotic.

*read: I find almost all the "analysis" is terrible/basically English tabloid-level, with the exception of Mike L. Goodman, who is pretty good.
   570. The Voice of America Posted: January 29, 2014 at 01:00 AM (#4647813)
Cuadrado is a good player, he is not the best of the relatively unknown Colombian players. I believe the best Colombian player is someone most of you have not heard about before.
   571. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: January 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM (#4647863)
Muriel? (Probably too much of a name, so I'm guessing no.)
   572. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 29, 2014 at 10:29 AM (#4647872)
Cuadrado is a good player, he is not the best of the relatively unknown Colombian players.

Oh, definitely not (I'm a James Rodriguez guy myself for best on the squad, though now he's not relatively unknown in the least). I just think that, stylistically, he's a notable one for me (since he's the type of player I'd normally hate).
Muriel?

Given that they once shared an award, "El Sharaawy or Muriel?" is one of those I enjoy debating with myself.
   573. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: January 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM (#4647973)
St. Vincent is awesome at music and kinda awesome at rainbow kicks.

#crushonher
   574. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2014 at 02:32 PM (#4648056)
Levy seems to think he's playing FM. United should pay that price for Capoue.
   575. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2014 at 02:44 PM (#4648067)
Levy seems to think he's playing FM. United should pay that price for Capoue.

Why should Levy sell a good player for less than he paid just a few months ago when he still has 4 and a half years on his deal? Sherwood may not even be manager in 4 months and the next manager may want to keep him. There is zero reason for Spurs to take a loss now. Napoli shouldn't be bargain hunting in the winter window.
   576. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2014 at 03:00 PM (#4648077)
He shouldn't and I'm hoping United jump in on the asking price. There seems to be no emotion clouding his thought which is why I referred to FM.
   577. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2014 at 03:04 PM (#4648081)
He shouldn't and I'm hoping United jump in on the asking price. There seems to be no emotion clouding his thought which is why I referred to FM.

He doesn't present himself as a sentimental man, for sure.
   578. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 29, 2014 at 03:10 PM (#4648087)
Yeah, I think it's way too early for Spurs to be cutting bait on Capoue just because Sherwood doesn't seem to like him.
   579. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 29, 2014 at 03:19 PM (#4648096)
Tottenham Hotspur - Lloris, Walker, Chiriches, Dawson, Rose, Lennon, Bentaleb, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Eriksen, Adebayor

Manchester City - Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany (c), Demichelis, Clichy, Navas, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko

Spurs fans are going to self immolate when they see this lineup. Hopefully Chirches recovered from his hangover...I see another tonking on the way.
   580. jmurph Posted: January 29, 2014 at 03:23 PM (#4648098)
Yeah, I think it's way too early for Spurs to be cutting bait on Capoue just because Sherwood doesn't seem to like him.

Agree. They could be 4 points out of SECOND at the end of today (unlikely, of course, as Chelsea are obviously going to beat West Ham); they need to keep the team together through the end of the season to see what they have.
   581. Wins Above Paul Westerberg Posted: January 29, 2014 at 03:37 PM (#4648110)

I think Newcastle is perfectly content to be a mid-table club while avoiding Europa, which is probably what their ambition should be. Too bad about Cabaye, but they at least got a good amount for him.

I just don't understand why that should be their ambition. They're a big club (20th in Europe according to Forbes' last listing), they play in a giant stadium, and they've challenged for Top 4 as recently as two years ago. They aren't that far removed from shelling out big money for guys like Shearer and Michael Owen, and while I don't advocate a reversion to that necessarily, at least it acknowledged where the club's goals should be. They've been in the Champions League before; there's no reason that has to be ancient history.
   582. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2014 at 03:44 PM (#4648119)
Newcastle only got 19M pounds for Cabaye, which seems a little light.

Adel Taarabt is being loaned to Milan. I know they are in pretty bad straits but is the Rossoneri that devoid of talent? He's an ok player but definitely not worth the fact that he seems to be a bit of a malcontent.

Does anyone know anything about the Ukrainian winger Liverpool is trying to get?
   583. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 29, 2014 at 04:10 PM (#4648148)
I'm a big, big fan (I think I've mentioned Konoplyanka before when discussing the Ukrainian national team). He's shifty, very quick with the ball at his feet (I think he's a tremendous countattacking player) and his off-ball movement, particularly in transition, is excellent (he has a weird habit of jumping out after a half-field steal to instigate the counter). Not too sure about his defence, but he's not *terrible* per se? His attention can just wander once in a while.

Great pickup for Pool if it happens, imho (from my observations).
   584. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4648165)
According to the Guardian Aguero just limped off the field - so City brings on Jovetic. Wow that's a deep team. Hope Augero isn't too badly hurt - he plays for the wrong team in Manchester but he's awesome.
   585. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: January 29, 2014 at 04:57 PM (#4648194)
Bad call by the linesman, Rose pretty clearly got the ball. Graeme Le Saux almost makes me wish Ray Hudson was doing the color commentary.
   586. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: January 29, 2014 at 05:02 PM (#4648198)
Any comcast subscribers having trouble watching online? I'm cookie-logged in and was watching City/Spurs with no problem; tried to switch over to the Villa/Brom match and its asking me to login, but comcast isn't listed as a provider. Eh?
   587. The Voice of America Posted: January 29, 2014 at 05:07 PM (#4648202)
Muriel? (Probably too much of a name, so I'm guessing no.)

Muriel, Falcao, James Rodriguez, Cuadrado, Jackson Martinez, all great players. But they are nothing without someone to organize them. Torres is the key to that Colombian team. Amazingly, he is not a lock to start games. I once did a raw study of team stats with and without him. I posted in on twitter but it is in spanish. The results were startling.
   588. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: January 29, 2014 at 05:08 PM (#4648203)
A question on the Capoue goal: Fernandinho tried to save the ball with his arm on the goal line. It hit his arm but went in anyway. What's the proper call there? Obviously you award the goal. Yellow card for intentional hand ball? It's not red because he failed to actually deny the goal scoring opportunity.
   589. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 29, 2014 at 05:17 PM (#4648209)
Furious last-ditch defending from West Ham.
   590. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: January 29, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4648212)
Any comcast subscribers having trouble watching online? I'm cookie-logged in and was watching City/Spurs with no problem; tried to switch over to the Villa/Brom match and its asking me to login, but comcast isn't listed as a provider. Eh?
No problems for me using the NBC sports app.
   591. Swedish Chef Posted: January 29, 2014 at 05:47 PM (#4648238)
I didn't think Aston Villa did seven-goals come-from-behind thriller victories. I'm happy to be shown otherwise.
   592. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 29, 2014 at 05:48 PM (#4648239)
I don't know how Chelsea didn't win that. Per WhoScored, Chelsea had 9 SoT, 13 shots blocked, hit the woodwork once (right near the end), and, if I'm eyeballing the ESPN FC gamecast correctly, 14 shots inside of the box (of which around a third/a half seem to have been blocked, my mouse-over isn't working). Time of Possession was 72-28, with 88% pass success and 13 corners. Those are ridiculous numbers. Very spirited pack-the-box defensive performance from West Ham.
   593. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: January 29, 2014 at 07:06 PM (#4648287)
Looks like Sameshima won't be the only Japanese national teamer to be playing in the NWSL next year, which will hopefully help raise the international profile of the league, as well as maintain an international-level quality of play.
   594. madvillain Posted: January 29, 2014 at 07:15 PM (#4648291)
How seriously to teams take the European Super Cup? Had no idea it even existed until Football Manager. My board expected me to win it tho, ########.
   595. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 30, 2014 at 10:08 AM (#4648507)
There's not much to say about yesterday except that I wished I had watched Aston Villa and West Brom, instead.
   596. Mefisto Posted: January 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM (#4648537)
I wonder which game AVB watched.
   597. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: January 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM (#4648543)
I wonder which game AVB watched.

As a true football hipster, I bet it was Deportivo Quito's in over Botafogo in the Libertadores.
   598. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM (#4648546)
Lots of BS floating around about Kroos to United, seemingly based on Moyes "being seen" with his agent and some comments by Pep. It has a Fabergas/Thiago-esque feel of Lucy holding the football, but I hope that powers-that-be realize that Mata isn't enough to get them fourth this season and Kroos is really freaking good.
   599. Dale Sams Posted: January 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM (#4648547)
I'm watching a little of Escape to a Draw....I mean Victory. Putting aside the usual snarks, I have new ones!

1) Well Stallone certainly has the form of a 5'7" American who has never played GK before. Well done Sly.

2) I think that last called penalty might have actually been one. And given the angle it was just a bad idea to tackle there anyway.

3) That last penalty was horribly taken. THAT'S the German Captain?? Stallone didn't even have to guess. He catches it on pure reaction. Wouldn't it have been *more* dramatic to have Stallone dive across the face of the goal and tip a rocket just over the crossbar?

4) Oh cool! The soccer team escaped!....and then 2,000 Parisians were rounded up and shot.
   600. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM (#4648571)
Flip
Page 6 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.