Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 14, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread July, 2014

Link to June Thread

” cols=“100” rows=“20”>

Finally we get to talk about what really matters: transfer rumors!

Oh, and there are some games too:

July 15: KR Reykjavik vs Celtic & other Champions League Qualifiers

July 16: Lanus vs Atletico Mineiro (Recopa Sudamericana Leg 1), Philadelphia Union vs NY Red Bulls, Champions League Qualifiers

July 17: Europa League Qualifiers, Hearts vs Man City (Friendly)

July 18: RB Leipzig vs PSG (Friendly), Tijuana vs Puebla, Querétaro vs Pumas UNAM

July 19: Seattle Sounders vs Tottenham Hotspur (Friendly), Sporting KC vs LA Galaxy, León vs América

July 20: DC United vs Chivas USA

July 22: Champions League Qualifiers 2nd Leg, Club Nacional vs. Defensor Sporting (Libertadores)

July 23: Liverpool vs Roma, Toronto FC vs Spurs, Sporting vs Man City, LA Galaxy v. Man U (All Friendlies)

July 24: Olympiakos v. Milan (Int. Champions Cup), Europa League Qualifiers

July 25: Sacramento Republic vs West Brom (Friendly), Santos Laguna vs Cruz Azul

July 26: Man U vs Roma (ICC), Real Madrid vs Inter (ICC), NYRB vs Arsenal (Friendly), Chicago Fire vs Spurs (Friendly)

July 27: Milan vs Man City (ICC), Liverpool vs Olympiakos (ICC)

July 28: Seattle Sounders vs LA Galaxy

July 29: Defensor Sporting vs Nacional (Libertadores)

July 30: Real Salt Lake vs NYRB, Bolívar vs San Lorenzo (Libertadores)

Link to June Thread

Howling John Shade Posted: July 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM | 608 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. The Marksist Posted: July 17, 2014 at 09:22 AM (#4752600)
Anyone else think Propublica would be a good outfit to investigate the Qatar clusterf*ck? I sent 'em an email suggesting it. Not that they were unaware, I expect.
   102. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: July 17, 2014 at 09:22 AM (#4752601)
GK Rimando - No International
Def Yedlin - USMNT
Def Besler - USMNT
Def O.Gonzalez - USMNT
Mid Bradley - USMNT
Mid Zusi - USMNT
Mid Beckerman - USMNT
Mid Dempsey - USMNT
Fwd Donovan - Ex-USMNT
Fwd Thierry Henry - Ex-FFA
Fwd Obafemi Martins - Nigeria

Doesn't that say it all about where the USMNT is right now? We've got talent all over the field but we are thin up front. I still like Altidore but we just can't finish.
   103. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 17, 2014 at 09:29 AM (#4752605)
GK Rimando - No International
FWIW, Rimando was the third 'keeper with the USMNT in Brazil.
   104. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: July 17, 2014 at 09:39 AM (#4752608)
FWIW, Rimando was the third 'keeper with the USMNT in Brazil.

Oops, thanks.

Was he Klinsmann's guy if we went to PKs? :-)
   105. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 17, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4752611)
I get that MLS is an up-and-coming league and its improved, but the fact that all those guys were starters, means that the US is lacking in a lot of places. Out of all those MLS guys, you can only really say Bradley would be a regular at a mid-table team in a top league. Maybe Yedlin in a couple years. The US team was full of grinders and they exceeded expectations, but a team like that can only go so far (Greece 2004 excepted). As poorly as Jozy played for Sunderland he's still there. Sure last year's Sunderland team was bad, but Jozy was playing against top defenders - there's a lot of value in that. Of course the downside is that his confidence was probably shot.

I can see some parallels to the Mexican team. Their domestic league is better than MLS, but not at the level of the top European leagues. A couple guys who are regulars in Spain, but their team is mostly drawn from Mexico. They played better than the US at the World Cup, but they still weren't going to go very far. Europe is still where the money is and if the US is to be successful, should be where most of our team should be playing (and not on the bench).
   106. DA Baracus Posted: July 17, 2014 at 09:55 AM (#4752615)
Doesn't that say it all about where the USMNT is right now?

No, because the US's best forwards don't play in MLS.
   107. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: July 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM (#4752652)
No, because the US's best forwards don't play in MLS.

I'll admit to a bit of an overreach with the comment but it's not like our best forwards are playing successfully in better leagues. The three forwards are MLS (Wondo), Eredivisie (Aron) and EPL (Jozy). Obviously the EPL is a big honkin' league but he has 2 goals in 42 career EPL games. It's hard to say that's meaningful.

I agree though in a perfect world our best would be playing and succeeding in Europe. I think what the MLS All Star team shows is that even in our own backyard the best we have to offer can't make the all star team. Of course I'm ignoring the Landon issue but even there that we don't have anyone behind him is troubling moving forward.
   108. Baldrick Posted: July 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM (#4752660)
I can see some parallels to the Mexican team. Their domestic league is better than MLS, but not at the level of the top European leagues. A couple guys who are regulars in Spain, but their team is mostly drawn from Mexico. They played better than the US at the World Cup, but they still weren't going to go very far. Europe is still where the money is and if the US is to be successful, should be where most of our team should be playing (and not on the bench).

But for 10 minutes Mexico was in the quarterfinals, where they would have played Costa Rica. They could very very easily have played Argentina in the semifinals.

If you want to be negative, it's very easy to be negative. I don't get why you would want to be negative.

The US team does not have top-quality players like Spain or Germany or Holland or France or Belgium. But it's becoming increasingly clear that the general level of play in MLS, in US development, is high enough to ensure that our squad players can hang with the second-tier teams. That's pretty good.
   109. DA Baracus Posted: July 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM (#4752670)
I think what the MLS All Star team shows is that even in our own backyard the best we have to offer can't make the all star team.

Didn't make a fan voted All Star team, in a league with international players. It's a meaningless list, and it's apples and oranges. Johansson and Altidore would be stars in MLS. Wondo is having a bad season but twice lead the league in scoring and was in the fan XI in 2013.
   110. puck Posted: July 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM (#4752695)
Also, since the MLS all stars play Bayern Munich in the all star game, it will be like a US-Germany rematch! (Though the fan vote is not necessarily the starting lineup.)

Through a quirk of collective bargaining, there will also be a number of MLS all-stars "named" to the team even though they will not be traveling to the festivities. This all-star game format is now probably old enough to pre-date any current contracts, but they still name the extra players as if they had two MLS teams playing against each other to satisfy bonus situations, etc.
   111. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: July 17, 2014 at 01:26 PM (#4752830)
Janmaat to Newcastle and, correspondingly, Debuchy to Arsenal both confirmed.

For gooners, there's also this. Love the talent, and love buying low (price tag rumored to have been slashed to £14m post world cup), but Balotelli in a huge media market on a team that generates insane levels of press coverage would probably be a disaster.
   112. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2014 at 01:33 PM (#4752838)
Why is Bayern Munich so good? How are they capable of producing so many world class talents through their youth system? Do they just steal all the best 11 year olds from the whole country?
   113. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: July 17, 2014 at 03:08 PM (#4752965)
I was under the impression that this was a conscious decision by Herrera, to primarily select players from the Mexican league that could play his style (I'm relying on Irish or MOTD pundits for that so could be completely wrong).
   114. ursus arctos Posted: July 17, 2014 at 03:12 PM (#4752974)
Fish, of the current squad, it's really only Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Mueller. The other Germans were all developed elsewhere. Which is damn good by English standards, but doesn't really match Barcelona's recent record. Like Barcelona, Bayern are a hegemonic club in a major football country's richest region. They should be good at developing talent.
   115. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: July 17, 2014 at 03:16 PM (#4752985)
The Bundesliga and German FA are very, very well synchronized; here's some self-horn-tooting from the Bundesliga circa 2011 (PDF, in english), and a Guardian overview from a bit earlier (note: "why don't we do what the Germans do" is a bit of a punchline in the UK).
   116. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 17, 2014 at 03:23 PM (#4752995)
I was under the impression that this was a conscious decision by Herrera, to primarily select players from the Mexican league that could play his style (I'm relying on Irish or MOTD pundits for that so could be completely wrong).

I heard that too, but other than Vela, who did Herrera exclude?

Badstuber was also a regular starter (until he blew out his knee two years in a row) who Bayern developed internally. Germany's league and most of its teams are very healthy financially but Bayern is still the biggest fish there and its not that close. The last swissramble post had Bayern's revenue almost twice as much as Dortmund's.
   117. Howling John Shade Posted: July 17, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4753009)
I heard that too, but other than Vela, who did Herrera exclude?
He played most of his club side for the elimination playoff with New Zealand right after he'd been appointed, but the world cup side was much more international.
   118. DA Baracus Posted: July 17, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4753010)
Vela's exclusion was his own decision.
   119. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 17, 2014 at 03:54 PM (#4753029)
Carrick is out 10-12 weeks. Add another £5M-10M to the price of every midfielder!
   120. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 17, 2014 at 04:00 PM (#4753038)
Europe is still where the money is and if the US is to be successful, should be where most of our team should be playing (and not on the bench).
I think the other side of that coin is that if we want a deep, strong national team, we're going to have to do it via a vastly improved MLS.

How do you improve MLS? Increased budgets. What causes increased budgets? Increased revenue. What causes increased revenue? To a large extent, it's keeping American stars here in the United States. Sure, it's also doing things like signing famous 30-something foreigners on free transfers, but I think that having players like Dempsey, Bradley, and Donovan in the United States is super important.

In other words, absolutely, the quicker way to become a legitimate international power is to ship the Yedlins of the world overseas. I think there's a case to be made, though, that by keeping them here and improving our talent pool by improving our league, we're better off in the long term.
   121. Randy Jones Posted: July 17, 2014 at 04:03 PM (#4753048)
What causes increased revenue? To a large extent, it's keeping American stars here in the United States. Sure, it's also doing things like signing famous 30-something foreigners on free transfers, but I think that having players like Dempsey, Bradley, and Donovan in the United States is super important.

Nope. Improve the quality of the play in MLS by getting better players, American or not, and the revenues will increase. Americans don't care about where you come from, but we want to watch the best in the world, period.
   122. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 17, 2014 at 04:26 PM (#4753072)
121: Right, but it's unrealistic to expect Sporting Kansas City to go out and sign Lionel Messi next week.

The league is building to that, but it's obviously not there. The way to get there is slow, gradual improvement in quality, and the least expensive way to do that is to keep guys like Bradley and Yedlin. If that means a couple decades of indifferent results on the international level, I'm fine with that.

Also, I don't think it's true that better players always equals more viewers. Guillermo Barros Schelotto was an absolutely magnificent player in MLS, one of the best I've seen, but fans weren't packing into stadiums to see him play the way they have for guys like Beckham and Henry.
   123. ursus arctos Posted: July 17, 2014 at 04:57 PM (#4753109)
It's a difficult balance.

The NASL had all of the Messi equivalents of its time, but still couldn't make it. I think that MLS has done a good job of balancing competing interests, though I'm somewhat concerned about the trend towards Kakas and David Villas, who are clearly past their prime. That said, MLS does have the additional complication of a significant overlap with the European season that the NASL did not have to the same extent.
   124. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 17, 2014 at 05:22 PM (#4753138)
Deleted because it added nothing.
   125. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2014 at 05:36 PM (#4753154)
The English league is the richest league in the world and their whole talent pool plays there - and the international squad is mediocre.

Yeah, but they're sickly pale bookish English, we're proud mighty Americans.
   126. puck Posted: July 17, 2014 at 05:44 PM (#4753162)
Uh oh, watch out Spurs fans:

Seattle Sounders-Tottenham Preview: Five Reasons Why the Sounders Will Beat Spurs On Saturday:

5) Donovan Ricketts

The Sounders’ goalkeeper has been a beast in the past few weeks, making unbelievable saves and establishing himself as the backbone for the defense. Ricketts’ age and career playing in the premier league for the Bolton Wanderers provide needed experience that will give the Sounders and edge on Saturday.
   127. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 17, 2014 at 06:03 PM (#4753176)
Both Kaka and David Villa are joining teams that don't even exist yet. I'm ok with adding guys like that to publicize an inaugural season. ( Marco di Vaio was similar, right?)
   128. puck Posted: July 17, 2014 at 06:06 PM (#4753179)
Toni Kroos's transfer is only 20 million pounds??
   129. puck Posted: July 17, 2014 at 06:10 PM (#4753182)
Marco di Vaio was similar, right?

He joined during their 1st season in MLS, and probably at a much lower salary. Montreal's owner loves Italians; they also had Nesta, and another Italian defender and striker.
   130. ursus arctos Posted: July 17, 2014 at 06:12 PM (#4753185)
Crispix, that's a valid point, and if those clubs' subsequent recruiting indicates that these are one-off "ambassador" signings, then my fears would be significantly lessened. But NYCFC are supposedly in for Xavi as well, and he's two years older than Villa.

puck, there was only a year left on Kroos' contract, and he wanted a huge pay raise for an extension, so Bayern's options were limited.

Agreed that di Vaio was different, and that Nesta is a better example of this particular trend. Though the Saputos' fetish for Italian players is unique in the league (though Orlando City may develop something similar with Brazilians).
   131. Manny Coon Posted: July 17, 2014 at 06:50 PM (#4753203)
I think that MLS has done a good job of balancing competing interests, though I'm somewhat concerned about the trend towards Kakas and David Villas, who are clearly past their prime.

They are past their primes, but they are aren't completely washed up either, especially Villa. Henry and Beckham were also past their primes and were good pickups for the league. What you don't want is guys that are just completely cooked like a few of the guys that came over to MLS in the earlier days of the league, like Matthaus.
   132. PepTech Posted: July 17, 2014 at 06:57 PM (#4753213)
Seattle Sounders-Tottenham Preview: Five Reasons Why the Sounders Will Beat Spurs On Saturday:

5) Donovan Ricketts
I thought you were joking, but that actually is published. Wow.
   133. Swedish Chef Posted: July 17, 2014 at 07:21 PM (#4753230)
Toni Kroos's transfer is only 20 million pounds??

He only had a year left on the contract. But don't worry, Real isn't slumming at the discount store, they will spend a whole lot on his wages and bonuses.
   134. puck Posted: July 17, 2014 at 08:42 PM (#4753260)
He only had a year left on the contract. But don't worry, Real isn't slumming at the discount store, they will spend a whole lot on his wages and bonuses.

I figured someone would be willing to pay a larger transfer fee, but I didn't think about the wages, those probably weren't so easy to match.
   135. Textbook Editor Posted: July 17, 2014 at 09:53 PM (#4753284)

5) Donovan Ricketts

In fairness... Is Lloris with the team on this trip? If not, I can kind of squint and see touting the Sounders GK over whoever Spurs will be trotting out, but if Lloris is playing, well...
   136. Spivey Posted: July 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM (#4753293)
I realize that Kroos may be wanting to get paid a ridiculous amount of money. But shouldn't Bayern agree to that?

I guess they have Gotze and Javi Martinez... but Kroos is definitely better than both of them.
   137. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM (#4753298)
What you don't want is guys that are just completely cooked like a few of the guys that came over to MLS in the earlier days of the league, like Matthaus.

Yes, who was the last one of those, even?

Many older players like Kris Boyd have certainly been disappointing, but they aren't international celebrities like Matthaus, Djourkaeff et al.

(I see that both Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller are now back with Rangers... sounds like a winning formula for the Scottish second division!)

As for the fearsome Donovan Ricketts's Premier League experience with Bolton, I was unaware that he ever played for them. And it turns out he did not ever play for them. He was on their books 9 years ago and went on loan to Bradford City. Then he played for Bradford City for a while. Then he went back to his original team in Jamaica. Good lord, Seattle fans, settle down.
   138. ursus arctos Posted: July 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM (#4753301)
He was looking for something like 150K euro a week, which would have blown up their wage structure. He's just not worth that much to them given the alternatives they have and the multiplier effect of agreeing to his demands.
   139. puck Posted: July 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4753353)
Good lord, Seattle fans, settle down.

I can't see how that guy was a Seattle fan if he thinks Ricketts is the reason why they'll beat Spurs.
   140. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:27 AM (#4753371)

I can't see how that guy was a Seattle fan if he thinks Ricketts is the reason why they'll beat Spurs.

Maybe he was confused for a moment, as a I was, with the semi-cromulent PL defender, Sam Ricketts ...
   141. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM (#4753374)
Players named Ricketts, ranked by contribution to Bolton Wanderers:

1. Michael Ricketts (actually younger than Donovan, despite having been a huge contributor to BWFC's promotion to the EPL more than a decade ago)
2. Sam Ricketts
tied for last: Donovan Ricketts, Rohan Ricketts, Tosaint Ricketts...
   142. AuntBea Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:52 AM (#4753381)
So, now that I am apparently stuck in New York City for a few more years, I have been considering rooting for an MLS team. Unfortunately my only local option has been the New York Corporate Name team, which I am opposed to on three if not more levels: 1) naming a team after a corporation is personally offensive to me, 2) their pervasive advertising around all things sporting is independently annoying, and 3) the product itself is an overpriced (and bad tasting) way to achieve a standard caffeine high. Now there is of course a new local option, but I almost always root against the rich soccer owners who buy the best players on a whim, and the team also has the unfortunate connection to the evil empire minority as minority ownership. Where should I turn?
   143. Swedish Chef Posted: July 18, 2014 at 08:02 AM (#4753414)
Lahm retires from Germany, a World Cup too early.
   144. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: July 18, 2014 at 08:43 AM (#4753425)
Where should I turn?

The New England Revolution are the team for you!

1. No corporate team name, just classic American location/nickname convention.
2. If you don't pay attention you don't know they exist. Overmarketing is definitely NOT a problem.
3. No product to worry about!
4. The Revs have rich ownership but they compensate for that by not spending any money. You'll notice that the Revs are never mentioned with the big DPs.
5. With the Sox winning a lot the Revs have picked up the mantle of "plucky runners-up" going 0 for 4 in MLS Cups.
   145. Swedish Chef Posted: July 18, 2014 at 08:51 AM (#4753428)
An appeals court has found Berlusconi not guilty of sex crimes that he got seven years for previously. It's springtime for Silvio!
   146. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 18, 2014 at 08:59 AM (#4753434)
I figured Lahm would play another World Cup, but he would be 34 next time around, which is pretty old for the modern fullback. I'm really surprised that he didn't want to stick around and try to win the next Euros. I guess he wanted to go out on top.
   147. Swedish Chef Posted: July 18, 2014 at 09:03 AM (#4753438)
But Löw didn't even want to use him as a full back, 34 is no age for a central midfielder.
   148. Randy Jones Posted: July 18, 2014 at 09:17 AM (#4753450)
The New England Revolution are the team for you!

1. No corporate team name, just classic American location/nickname convention.
2. If you don't pay attention you don't know they exist. Overmarketing is definitely NOT a problem.
3. No product to worry about!
4. The Revs have rich ownership but they compensate for that by not spending any money. You'll notice that the Revs are never mentioned with the big DPs.
5. With the Sox winning a lot the Revs have picked up the mantle of "plucky runners-up" going 0 for 4 in MLS Cups.

Yes, but you neglected to list reasons 1-infinity not to root for the Revolution: Most of their fans are also Red Sox/Patriots fans and no one wants to be associated with that.
   149. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM (#4753500)
Your northeastern MLS options are rather limited, AuntBea, both in quantity and given what you outlined above. Like my 'local' Chicago Fire, I don't find New England all that compelling -- maybe it's that they still play in a 60k seat stadium and only fill a quarter of it. I'll qualify that by saying that they at least have some good young guys (the aforementioned Fagundez. I also think people are generally high on Andrew Farrell).

You could do the Cosmos. Obviously that's not MLS, but that allows you to feel self-righteous for rooting for the team with an actual history and a cool kit. Further, I have to think the Cosmos eventually land in MLS, even if its a bit down the road.

Have you considered Orlando City? They've been well supported for a few years now; are bringing the Fiorentina-purple to MLS; and even at his age, Kaka is brilliant and should be a top player in MLS for a few years.
   150. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM (#4753521)
There's also Philadelphia Union, who are thankfully free of Emiriati or Yankee taint and have a pretty good fan culture.
   151. Randy Jones Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM (#4753533)
According to ESPN Sevilla are about to sign up a 14 yr old from Brooklyn to their academy. link
   152. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM (#4753534)
Both Philadelphia and Montreal skipped my mind. I think both are reasonable options, except like the Fire, I believe I've read that Philly planted their stadium in an area that's not so pleasant. I have to say, though, that the view from inside Philly's stadium always looks great from television -- the Delaware River and that big bridge give it a pretty good look.
   153. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM (#4753541)
You wouldn't particularly want to go to Chester for anything other than a Union game (or a visit to a sad casino), but it isn't unsafe, and the view is great. If you are going to pick l'Impact, you need to get comfortable with a profoundly goofy name (in either language) and the idea that your Designated Players are almost always going to be Italians past their European sell by date, given the Saputos' fixation on Serie A.
   154. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM (#4753549)
Van Gaal leaves out any player that was on a team that played in the knockout rounds of the World Cup for the US tour. Marketers and promoters can't be too happy that Chicharito isn't coming.
   155. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM (#4753553)
The Union really prioritized certain things above all else with the stadium location. Basically just the proximity of a cool-looking river, and tax breaks. But it's nowhere near public transit except for some shuttle buses. This in one of the few US cities that has great public transit.
   156. PepTech Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM (#4753576)

5) Donovan Ricketts
In fairness... Is Lloris with the team on this trip? If not, I can kind of squint and see touting the Sounders GK over whoever Spurs will be trotting out, but if Lloris is playing, well...

Sorry, I shouldn't assume everyone is familiar with the Sounders roster.

Ricketts plays for Portland. The SSFC keeper is Stefan Frei.
   157. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM (#4753583)
This is the sort of confusion you get in a bitter regional rivalry between one team that wears green with giant Adidas stripes, and another team that wears green with giant Adidas stripes.
   158. puck Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:19 AM (#4753593)
Van Gaal leaves out any player that was on a team that played in the knockout rounds of the World Cup for the US tour. Marketers and promoters can't be too happy that Chicharito isn't coming.

I assume this would happen...I skipped buying tickets for the Manchester United-Roma match figuring in addition to the usual pre-season lineups, players would be missing due to the World Cup.
   159. DA Baracus Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM (#4753594)
I believe I've read that Philly planted their stadium in an area that's not so pleasant.

Another in the long line of failed attempts to have a stadium vitalize a downtrodden neighborhood.
   160. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM (#4753597)
It isn't even in an area or a neighborhood. It's technically in the city of Chester, but it's between the city and the river. If you come in from Philadelphia you go across a bridge and you're instantly at the exit for the stadium, and it's hard to even figure out how to get to anything else in Chester from the stadium if you wanted to.
   161. DA Baracus Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM (#4753607)
I know, I'm originally from the area. Point is, the stadium was sold to Chester as the launching point for turning the area around, like most stadiums are, and like most attempts it has failed. Nice stadium though, good view.
   162. DA Baracus Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM (#4753610)
Attendance is an issue with college football. To help solve it, they are looking at MLS.

Van Gaal leaves out any player that was on a team that played in the knockout rounds of the World Cup for the US tour.

And Bebe!
   163. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM (#4753617)
Is there a reason why they couldn't put a game day SEPTA stop near the stadium? The line isn't that far away (not much further than the PATH is from Red Bull Park, as it happens)

Is it that they don't really want people walking through Chester as it currently exists?
   164. Textbook Editor Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4753621)
In fairness to the Union, I'm not sure there was a great option within the city limits for the stadium that wound up in Chester. Doing a soccer-only stadium down at the stadium complex was never going to happen, and there's basically no way it would have been able to be built anywhere near Center City (if they couldn't get momentum behind a downtown stadium for baseball, it sure as heck wasn't happening for soccer).

IIRC, waterfront locations that may have been viable options along Delaware Ave were all tied up with the casino crap that was going on at the time (i.e., several spots were vying for a casino site), and until that got sorted out they weren't going to get any kind of deal to build along the river. Naturally, the South Philly casino option(s) all went to hell and in retrospect they should have perhaps pursued putting the stadium down there, near where the IKEA is, but you likely would have had resident resistance to that just as much as there was to putting a casino down there.

But yeah, the tax incentives and DRPA development $ that got tossed at them were certainly two good reasons to build in Chester...
   165. PepTech Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4753622)
This is the sort of confusion you get in a bitter regional rivalry between one team that wears green with giant Adidas stripes, and another team that wears green with giant Adidas stripes.

I was noticing that green is not a popular color in EPL. Any particular historic reason for that?

Kit similarity notwithstanding, one would think a purported sports journalist, or perhaps their editor, would have got the roster details correct. Ricketts has never played for the Sounders. There's no old, cached webpage that lists him as the SSFC GK. This guy set out to do an "analysis" of the Spurs match and made an error roughly equivalent to stating Vincent Kompany plays for MUFC.
   166. DA Baracus Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM (#4753625)
Is there a reason why they couldn't put a game day SEPTA stop near the stadium?

The costs associated with extending the line.

one would think a purported sports journalist, or perhaps their editor, would have got the roster details correct.

It's FanSided. Journalism and editors aren't words they are familiar with.
   167. zack Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM (#4753630)
If you are going to pick l'Impact, you need to get comfortable with a profoundly goofy name

Yeah, but it's a 22 year-old goofy name now, at some point it becomes Traditional. I miss having the Impact around to hate.

I know they're not legally the same entity, but are the Whitecaps the oldest MLS team (going back to the A-league version, not the original NASL team, since I think that's just reusing the name)?
   168. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM (#4753634)
I thought the line already ran south of PPL Park, as part of the service to Wilmington.

A Scots friend once explained the English aversion to green kits to me as follows:

It's an interesting question. In the formative days of the English game, green came to signify ill luck- I know that Burnley changed from a green kit to claret and blue in 1911 supposedly because green was deemed to be unlucky. And now I come to think of it, I can't remember a green home coloured English team playing in the top flight.

Apparently green was deemed unlucky as it was the same colour as the grass and was difficult for team mates to see each other. It was a different matter north of the border with first Hibs and then Celtic adopting green as a nod to their Irish roots. Hibs wore green jerseys until 1938 before adding the distinctive white sleeves whilst Celtic wore green and white stripes before switching to the famous hoops.

But yes, the curious lack of green jerseys in British football is interesting.

Plymouth are the only "established" English club who have played in green for a very long time (Yeovil are a relatively recent entrant to the upper reaches of the pyramid).

Green is reasonably common on the Continent. Prominent examples include Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg, St. Etienne, Betis and Panathinaikos.
   169. Richard Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM (#4753636)
The main reason there are no green kits is that historically goalkeepers wore green, so you avoid the clash. There are a couple of lower league sides with green (Plymouth, Yeovil) but I don't think a top flight team has even worn green in England.

More disturbingly, no team wearing stripes has won the league since 1936....

Oh, coke to ursus.
   170. puck Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:56 AM (#4753641)
The Union really prioritized certain things above all else with the stadium location. Basically just the proximity of a cool-looking river, and tax breaks. But it's nowhere near public transit except for some shuttle buses. This in one of the few US cities that has great public transit.

This seems like a common bargain MLS teams make to get their stadiums built at an affordable price. The Colorado stadium is like that. But I'm sure they never would have gotten a stadium built in downtown Denver (where the NFL, MLB, and NHL/NBA stadiums are).
   171. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM (#4753643)
There are a couple of lower league sides with green (Plymouth, Yeovil) but I don't think a top flight team has even worn green in England.

I know Norwich are the Canaries, but they were more green than yellow last season.

Green is reasonably common on the Continent. Prominent examples include Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg, St. Etienne, Betis and Panathinaikos.

And Zimbru Chisinau, of course.

It seems like half the teams in Portugal wear either green, green and white, or black and white. All of which are highly unusual in England for whatever reason.

Is there a single team ANYWHERE in Britain that uses red and green as their colors? I like that look. Fluminense and Lokomotiv Moscow come to mind as examples.

172. DA Baracus Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM (#4753646)
I thought the line already ran south of PPL Park, as part of the service to Wilmington.

You're right. The line is about a half mile away, but the nearest stop is about a mile from the stadium as the crow flies.
   173. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM (#4753647)
I know they're not legally the same entity, but are the Whitecaps the oldest MLS team (going back to the A-league version, not the original NASL team, since I think that's just reusing the name)?

The Whitecaps like to claim an unbroken history, notwithstanding the changes in legal entities (and the fact that for quite a few of these years they were the Vancouver 86ers).

NASL (1973–84)
CSL (1985–92)
APSL / A-League / USL-1 (1993–2010)
MLS (2011–)

Even though I support them (and did in the NASL), I don't think it really washes, and that the best you can do is to go back to the 2001 season in the A-League/USL. I know that I didn't think of the 86ers as being the same club as the Whitecaps, whereas there are clear lines of succession between the USL, NASL and MLS versions.
   174. zack Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM (#4753648)

I know Norwich are the Canaries, but they were more green than yellow last season.

I didn't know Utz had an EPL sponsorship.
   175. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM (#4753649)
From the link in 151

Leeds and his family are now due to move to Seville in order to adhere to International Federation of Football Association's rules, which state that boys aged between 12 and 16 must live in the region of the club they play for.

So, how does that sort of thing work? Sevilla would pay the moving expenses and such, right, but do they give/find the parents jobs? Pay them an equivalent stipend?
   176. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM (#4753651)
Baracus, thanks, that's what I thought. It wouldn't seem to be too expensive to build some platforms that could be used for event day-only service that would reduce the walk to half a mile. I know some people who wanted to go down to the US rugby game earlier this year, but were put off by the lack of train access.
   177. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM (#4753652)
175, the clubs aren't supposed to employ the parents, but what tends to happen is that they find them jobs that provide a veneer of an argument that the move was for non-football reasons. That rule is the basis of the current case against Barcelona that led to the transfer ban that has been suspended pending appeal. Its application throughout Europe has been quite inconsistent.
   178. DA Baracus Posted: July 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM (#4753666)
Baracus, thanks, that's what I thought. It wouldn't seem to be too expensive to build some platforms that could be used for event day-only service that would reduce the walk to half a mile. I know some people who wanted to go down to the US rugby game earlier this year, but were put off by the lack of train access.

That makes too much sense to happen.
   179. Howling John Shade Posted: July 18, 2014 at 01:20 PM (#4753709)
I realize that Kroos may be wanting to get paid a ridiculous amount of money. But shouldn't Bayern agree to that?

I guess they have Gotze and Javi Martinez... but Kroos is definitely better than both of them.
I think Thiago is probably the direct replacement.
   180. Howling John Shade Posted: July 18, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4753881)
Borini is apparently about to complete a permanent move back to Sunderland. Not great news for Jozy.
   181. ursus arctos Posted: July 18, 2014 at 05:48 PM (#4753916)
For 14 million pounds, which strikes me as a lot.
   182. JuanGone..except1game Posted: July 18, 2014 at 06:10 PM (#4753932)
My psychological need to not pay for stadium parking has driven me away from becoming a big Union fan. I always wind up parking across the street from PPL when meeting up with the Philly Blues' Union contingent, and spending the next two hours fighting the worry that my car isn't there. I'm from Detroit, so you think that I would be used to that feeling by now.

For 14 million pounds, which strikes me as a lot.

Hell ya. That's more than Pool paid for Sturridge, which for the record I still blame on Rafa and his duplicitous ways.
   183. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: July 18, 2014 at 07:20 PM (#4753968)
Liverpool is also linked with Loic Remy for 8m, who is a very good player and a very bad person. There is the issue of Remy's wages, though.
   184. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 18, 2014 at 08:20 PM (#4754006)
So Shaqiri may be going to Roma - which means potential good news for Julian Green.
   185. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: July 18, 2014 at 08:50 PM (#4754037)
LFC's recent record with Italians not so great with Aquilani and now Borini. At least with the latter, they've recouped their investment.

Assaidi also rumored to be out the door to Stoke.

What's the deal with Michu to Napoli? A loan for a player like that seems strange to me. I'm guessing it's probably loan with a purchase option at year's end, but why isn't De Laurentiis just buying now?

EDIT: Lastly, unrelated, but the Chivas Guadalajara vs Swansea friendly at Miller Park drew 30K+. That's pretty impressive.
   186. Swedish Chef Posted: July 18, 2014 at 08:53 PM (#4754039)
but why isn't De Laurentiis just buying now?

He gets a try before he buys, it's great for him, but why do Swansea go along with it?
   187. Howling John Shade Posted: July 18, 2014 at 09:00 PM (#4754043)
So Shaqiri may be going to Roma - which means potential good news for Julian Green.
He's now listed with the Bayern first team on their website. Interesting to see whether that lasts past the U.S. tour.
   188. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: July 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM (#4754078)
Hell ya. That's more than Pool paid for Sturridge, which for the record I still blame on Rafa and his duplicitous ways.Hell ya. That's more than Pool paid for Sturridge, which for the record I still blame on Rafa and his duplicitous ways.

This required a lot of thought. A Liverpool reference, Sturridge, then Rafa, I couldn't figure out why anyone would be at him for landing someone as good as Sturridge cheaply. Then I remembered his Chelsea stint.
   189. JoeHova Posted: July 19, 2014 at 02:58 AM (#4754191)
Lastly, unrelated, but the Chivas Guadalajara vs Swansea friendly at Miller Park drew 30K+. That's pretty impressive.

My friends who went said it was a good crowd too, even though the game was not that exciting. They said everybody was really into it and got the chants going and stuff (including the chant that got the Mexican fans in trouble at the World Cup).
   190. ursus arctos Posted: July 19, 2014 at 09:33 AM (#4754226)
Juventus have signed Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid for 20 million euros.

And nothing to do with transfers, but Javier Zanetti and his father had their 4x4 carjacked at gunpoint today in Banfield.
   191. zack Posted: July 19, 2014 at 01:07 PM (#4754314)
Thanks to that I've learned that RM has a second reserve team that plays in the 3rd division. How common is that?

It's kind of nuts that for the massive size of their system, they use talent developed elsewhere almost exclusively. Even most of the home grown guys on the current squad had to go elsewhere and come back, so i guess you can expect to see Morata back in 4 years.
   192. Swedish Chef Posted: July 19, 2014 at 01:16 PM (#4754324)
Seems like Real isn't giving up on him, they have a clause for buying him back after the first season.
   193. ursus arctos Posted: July 19, 2014 at 01:57 PM (#4754338)
Zack, the team that Morata played for is Real Madrid Castilla, their primary reserve team, which played in the second tier last season, but was relegated to the confusingly named Seginda B (regionalized third tier) for the upcoming season.

The second reserve team (Real Madrid C) is now in the Tercera Division, which is actually the regionalized fourth tier, as the result of Castilla's relegation (clubs cannot have two teams in the same division). Having multiple reserve teams is rare, but not unique. Real Madrid C don't even play in Madrid proper.
   194. Howling John Shade Posted: July 19, 2014 at 04:32 PM (#4754415)
Well, based on this completely meaningless friendly, I don't think Michael Dawson is impressing Pochettino.

Edit: Also, Siggy pulled from the starting lineup (for Tommy Carroll) just before kickoff. Presumably because he just got sold.
   195. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 19, 2014 at 04:35 PM (#4754417)
Well, based on this completely meaningless friendly, I don't think Michael Dawson is impressing Pochettino.

He's played a great game for Seattle so far.
   196. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 19, 2014 at 04:41 PM (#4754421)
Couple of god awful free kicks by Spurs.
   197. Howling John Shade Posted: July 19, 2014 at 04:44 PM (#4754425)

He's played a great game for Seattle so far.
Maybe the Sounders will buy him to play alongside Dempsey...
   198. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 19, 2014 at 04:44 PM (#4754426)
I was so very, very sad when Dawson's transfer fell through.
   199. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 19, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4754433)
Carroll lucky not to have called for a penalty there.
   200. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 19, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4754434)
Flip.
Page 2 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.