Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 14, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread July, 2014

Link to June Thread

” cols=“100” rows=“20”>

Finally we get to talk about what really matters: transfer rumors!

Oh, and there are some games too:

July 15: KR Reykjavik vs Celtic & other Champions League Qualifiers

July 16: Lanus vs Atletico Mineiro (Recopa Sudamericana Leg 1), Philadelphia Union vs NY Red Bulls, Champions League Qualifiers

July 17: Europa League Qualifiers, Hearts vs Man City (Friendly)

July 18: RB Leipzig vs PSG (Friendly), Tijuana vs Puebla, Querétaro vs Pumas UNAM

July 19: Seattle Sounders vs Tottenham Hotspur (Friendly), Sporting KC vs LA Galaxy, León vs América

July 20: DC United vs Chivas USA

July 22: Champions League Qualifiers 2nd Leg, Club Nacional vs. Defensor Sporting (Libertadores)

July 23: Liverpool vs Roma, Toronto FC vs Spurs, Sporting vs Man City, LA Galaxy v. Man U (All Friendlies)

July 24: Olympiakos v. Milan (Int. Champions Cup), Europa League Qualifiers

July 25: Sacramento Republic vs West Brom (Friendly), Santos Laguna vs Cruz Azul

July 26: Man U vs Roma (ICC), Real Madrid vs Inter (ICC), NYRB vs Arsenal (Friendly), Chicago Fire vs Spurs (Friendly)

July 27: Milan vs Man City (ICC), Liverpool vs Olympiakos (ICC)

July 28: Seattle Sounders vs LA Galaxy

July 29: Defensor Sporting vs Nacional (Libertadores)

July 30: Real Salt Lake vs NYRB, Bolívar vs San Lorenzo (Libertadores)

Link to June Thread

Howling John Shade Posted: July 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM | 608 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > 
   401. ursus arctos Posted: July 25, 2014 at 02:28 PM (#4757677)
So they only lost five million pounds, plus his wages, plus the time value of money for four years.

I wonder how much Jorge Mendes is getting from Benfica.
   402. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 25, 2014 at 03:07 PM (#4757702)
Watch the wording on the Bebe deal. It's worth UP to 3 million Euros meaning they could have given him to Benfica in exchange for a used copy of the complete The IT Crowd on DVD as an initial payment.
   403. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 25, 2014 at 03:28 PM (#4757712)
So no actual money, at least not yet.
   404. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 25, 2014 at 03:30 PM (#4757714)
Sure, if Bebe wins the Ballon d'Or or Benfica win the CL, then Cha-CHING!
   405. Howling John Shade Posted: July 25, 2014 at 04:19 PM (#4757735)
   406. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 25, 2014 at 04:34 PM (#4757743)
Interview with Wenger and Gazidis, corporate drone. He talks a fair amount about Zelalem.
   407. madvillain Posted: July 25, 2014 at 05:53 PM (#4757803)
So is Drogba actually going to play at Chelsea?
   408. J. Sosa Posted: July 25, 2014 at 06:19 PM (#4757815)
I don't really get the Lovren signing on several levels. It has been a poorly kept secret for awhile, but I don't get the interest. It is a lot of money, I don't think he is all that great, and the part I really don't get is that he is a left center back. They already have Sakho and Agger. It makes a little more sense if they are moving out Agger and bringing in a right sided center back, but I still don't really get it.

I've read in various places that Rodgers and the transfer people often don't see eye to eye. Some of the signings this offseason do seem like Rodgers has been given more influence. I've said in the past that I do think Rodgers has a legitimate gripe about being hung out to dry in a couple of transfer windows. I thought Lallana would be the binky, but evidently Rodgers was given 50 million for binkies.

My personal scorecard thus far:

Lambert - Good signing, quality player for the price even if he's only able to play at a high level for a season or two. Bellamy gave the club a real boost before his knees gave up the ghost, I think Lambert is a similar type signing. Not in terms of style, but in terms of a veteran that's been around the block and knows how to play.

Can - I loved this one. I think the first time I saw him play was for a Germany youth team on ESPN 3 a few years ago. If he can stay healthy he's a monster and a Coutinho level bargain.

Lallana - Way, way, way too much money, but I get it. The title was effectively lost the instant Henderson was carded in the City game. He offers a little more muscle than Coutinho and a little more skill than Henderson, but fits what the club likes to do and can fill in or start for the club without too much of a dropoff in a couple of different roles. Again, I get it. But wow was that a lot of money. **

Origi*- I also liked this one. Not a ton of money and he looks like an excellent prospect from what little I've seen of him. Fits what the club's style has become, I can easily see him deputizing for Sturridge in a year or two.

Remy* - Didn't like this one. I understand why he was signed given the buyout clause, his PL experience, and his talent, but he is also a malcontent that has had off the field problems. I'd rather not have him even though he is talented.

Manquillo* - Only seen him play a couple of times. A very talented player. Given what Rodgers did with Flanagan, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a young fullback with better talent. The deal is odd though, I don't fully understand why it is a loan with a buyback clause.

Lovren*- Covered above. Too much money, not very good, redundant.

I'm currently hoping Bertrand is just a ploy to put pressure on Sevilla regarding Moreno. I really like the club's depth, but I don't think their starting 11 is going to be nearly as good without Suarez and that is a concern. I'm holding out hope for Moreno, a right sided center back, and an elite level talent. That's probably a bit much but one can hope.

* Very credible journos saying these are done, but that the team doctor traveling with the team has caused a delay in the physicals.

** I'm getting a kick out of Southampton asking 27 MP for Schneiderlin. To be fair, he is younger and better than Lallana, but robbing Liverpool blind has made them a little cocky. Dealing with Levy is a little different than dealing with Mr. Ayre.

*** edit for english fail
   409. Swedish Chef Posted: July 25, 2014 at 06:42 PM (#4757825)
I'm getting a kick out of Southampton asking 27 MP for Schneiderlin. To be fair, he is younger and better than Lallana, but robbing Liverpool blind has made them a little cocky. Dealing with Levy is a little different than dealing with Mr. Ayre.

Southampton needs players more than money right now, they have already made a fortune on transfers. I don't think they will be very receptive to bargaining.
   410. J. Sosa Posted: July 25, 2014 at 06:51 PM (#4757830)
Do you think Liebherr is planning on selling the club? I hadn't thought so, but with Cortese and Pochettino leaving the transfers thus far have looked suspiciously like the asset stripping conjecture that has been present for awhile.

edit to add: I see that Lallana has managed to get hurt already and will miss the start of the season. That's just great. Here's to hoping it isn't a knee injury of the black hole variety that ate Enrique's season last year.
   411. ursus arctos Posted: July 25, 2014 at 07:01 PM (#4757834)
She's absolutely going to sell, and she's decided (probably correctly) that she can maximize her takings by selling the registration of every decent player before selling what's left (club, ground, IP, rest of playing staff and place in Premier League (including share of television and other shared revenues and right to parachute payments).

It makes perfect sense from a profit maximizing point of view, but is hellish for Southampton supporters.
   412. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: July 25, 2014 at 07:22 PM (#4757842)
Schneiderlin is very good. With the prices of transfers this summer, I don't think that's an unfair ask at all.
   413. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: July 25, 2014 at 08:13 PM (#4757875)
She's absolutely going to sell, and she's decided (probably correctly) that she can maximize her takings by selling the registration of every decent player before selling what's left (club, ground, IP, rest of playing staff and place in Premier League (including share of television and other shared revenues and right to parachute payments).

It makes perfect sense from a profit maximizing point of view, but is hellish for Southampton supporters.
And there goes Calum Chambers... helluva firesale.
   414. J. Sosa Posted: July 25, 2014 at 08:38 PM (#4757884)
Oh if Lallana is truly worth anywhere near 25 in this market than Schneiderlin is absolutely worth 27. He's a better player and younger than Lallana. Maybe that truly is where the market is at, I always get sticker shock at these kinds of things. I'm also bad at adjusting to changes in the cost of a win in baseball. Still... It just boggles my mind that Lallana goes for 25 and Can goes for 10. I know homegrown players are super valuable which is why I argued Shaw might be worth it for Man U, but the prices still surprise me.

As for Southampton, looks like I may have chosen poorly in the Atletico/Southampton pillaging pool.
   415. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM (#4757981)
Southampton is pretty obviously asset stripping for a sale, but if you were any owner/chairman/manager, how could you turn down these offers?

Completed deals:
30M for Shaw
4M for Lambert
23M for Lallana

Then you have:
12M for Chambers (some sources now say 16M)
20M for Lovren
27M for Schneirdelin
and whatever Jay Rodriguez would go for if he was healthy

Even if the owner is in for the longterm, I don't think I could turn any of these offers down. That's a lot of money to re-invest, especially if you look outside the UK and exclude 'big names.' Obviously, there is concern about relegation and that both Cortese and Pochettino are gone. But yea, some unsuspecting Asian or American billionaire will end up buying a team with no good players and follow Fulham down unless Koeman is a miracle worker.
   416. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM (#4757996)
So Mourinho doesn't want to comment on what other clubs spend, but he sure wants everyone to know exactly how much Luke Shaw makes a week, especially the rest of Man U's squad. He's a lovely man, that Jose Mourinho.

Re: Schneiderlin...I just want Spurs to pay Soton what they want and bring him in. He's the guy Pochettino thinks he needs so show some trust in the new manager and bring him in. Not to mention it will sting a lot if he ends up at Arsenal. Besides, Schneiderlin has a case for being one of the top handful of DMs in the world. He's worth the money. Use the Willian money not spent and throw it at Schneiderlin, Levy. I know you're reading this. Do it!

Also, poor Soton. Now Cardiff are trying to buy Fonte from them. Even Cardiff are trying to pick the bones! Cardiff!

edit: Soton will get a few quid for Osvaldo, too.
   417. ursus arctos Posted: July 26, 2014 at 01:24 PM (#4758065)
Multiple reports that PSG are paying 65 million euro for di Maria.
   418. Swedish Chef Posted: July 26, 2014 at 02:05 PM (#4758081)
Multiple reports that PSG are paying 65 million euro for di Maria.

Which is kinda interesting FFP-wise as they have a ceiling for their transfer spending and they have already spent fifty million for David Luiz. The only thing I have seen how that works out is that they intend to seek a dispensation from UEFA. I don't see how they can agree to that without making FFP a total sham.
   419. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: July 26, 2014 at 02:54 PM (#4758111)
Maybe their strategy is to just pretend the Luiz signing never happened. "What are you doing here David? Shouldn't you be in London?"
   420. J. Sosa Posted: July 26, 2014 at 02:56 PM (#4758113)
FWIW some of the Liverpool stats guys love Schneiderlin. I think Spurs will end up getting him but he would be perfect for Arsenal. He is exactly what they need (other than a striker). Flamini is washed up but I thought he made a big difference in the balance of the team last year. Add a guy like Schneiderlin to carry water for the other guys and that would be pretty scary.

A lot of people compare Pocchettino and Rodgers' teams, and they do like to do some similar things, but one of the primary differences is the way they set up the midfield. Rodgers has talked (in his terminology) of "flipping" the midfield triangle which is a fancy way of saying he prefers playing with a single holding mid or "controller" as Rodgers calls it rather than two. From what I've seen of Pochettino he prefers playing a midfield triangle with two holders or "controllers" at the base. His preference is for more of a 4-2-3-1. Pochettino would prefer to play two DM types. After that I suspect Eriksen and Lamela outside with perhaps Paulinho in the middle and a single striker. I haven't watched Spurs play this preseason much, but something like that is probably what he will shoot for once the season starts. Spurs' roster is actually pretty well suited to what he wants to do other than DM. Lloris and Vertonghen are perfect. Schneiderlin and a fullback (actually, they picked up Davies right?) and I think they are pretty much set.

It looks like PSG is out to break FFP. I'm not entirely sure that is wise. I think someone like Real can get away with that, but they may be willing to bust PSG.
   421. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 26, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4758135)
I have 2 guesses about PSG: They're going to sell a defender to Barca to offset Di Maria (so in effect Real would be selling Barca Marquinhos) or Platini is in the bag. Take your pick!
   422. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: July 26, 2014 at 04:13 PM (#4758148)
After that I suspect Eriksen and Lamela outside with perhaps Paulinho in the middle and a single striker. I haven't watched Spurs play this preseason much, but something like that is probably what he will shoot for once the season starts. Spurs' roster is actually pretty well suited to what he wants to do other than DM. Lloris and Vertonghen are perfect. Schneiderlin and a fullback (actually, they picked up Davies right?) and I think they are pretty much set.
I agree just about entirely with your comparison of Rodgers and Poche. They both press from the front in the contemporary style, but Poche is much more of a defensive manager, and I'd have trouble seeing him going with the super-attacking tactics Rodgers played last year. (It'll be interesting to see if Rodgers keeps playing nutty run-and-gun football or if he dials it back a bit.) For me the comparison for Poche is less Rodgers than AVB. Like AVB, Poche is a true Bielsista, but unlike AVB, Poche seems to have a much stronger history of actually implementing these ideas. Plus he actually played for El Loco for a while. I see Poche as basically AVB 2.0.

On the specifics I think Paulinho's much more of a water carrier than an advanced attacking mid. I think right now the team would be very much like what lined up in the first half against Toronto.

Walker - (New CB) - Verts Davies
----Cap Schn --- Dem Paul ----
---
Eriksen -- Lamela -- Lennon ---
-------------
Soldado ------------- 

You get a true holder plus someone who will also do a bunch of running and defending with him in a double pivot. I don't think Schneiderlin is a pure DM, he's got strong all-around skills, and Pochettino liked to pair him with Wanyama last year, a DM in the Capoue/Sandro mold. So Schneiderlin offers a nice ability to play either of the roles in the double pivot, while the four guys Spurs have right now are much more limited. Neither Dembele nor Paulinho is good at staying back as a pure DM, and neither Capoue nor Sandro add much to the attack other than metronome passing from deep. I am bracing myself for Sandro being sold. I'm not fully rational on Sandro, I just love that guy. Holtby and Ryan Mason have played in that deeper lying role next to Capoue in the friendlies, and possibly Holtby could play there against some lower division competition. That would give the team a bit more of a Rodgers-style single pivot.

In front of them, Eriksen and Lamela interchange and press and do whatever they want, and Lennon's basically a water carrier, filling in wherever they leave open defensively, providing width in the attack and quick passing.

The one big purchase that Spurs need to make is a new first-choice CB to pair with Vertonghen. I think center midfield is ok without Schneiderlin, though I certainly wouldn't turn him down at a reasonable price.
   423. J. Sosa Posted: July 26, 2014 at 05:46 PM (#4758183)
Regarding Rodgers and run and gun:

From the people with connections to LFC I've read and heard almost all of them say Rodgers thinks the problem last year is that they didn't press the pedal down hard enough...

!

I must admit I'm somewhat dubious of that diagnosis. I posted last season about how I didn't like the fullbacks' technique on closing out crosses but there are people with connections to the club that swear it was by design because Rodgers thinks crosses are a low percentage play that feeds the club's offense. It may be true, it is similar to the way Rodgers defends corners. Sometimes he just keeps leaking more and more people out, daring the other team to keep everyone up. It is a blast to watch, and I thought it was the right strategy last year, but I assumed the club would dial it back a bit this season. From all indications that isn't the case.
   424. Howling John Shade Posted: July 26, 2014 at 07:22 PM (#4758206)
   425. Baldrick Posted: July 26, 2014 at 07:31 PM (#4758208)
Bale off to a good start against Inter (in Berkeley).

I had tickets for seats right behind that goal! But had to come out to the east coast so couldn't go. Bleh.

My girlfriend sent me a picture looking right down on things as people celebrated the goal. Looks like a very fun time.
   426. ursus arctos Posted: July 27, 2014 at 10:27 AM (#4758350)
Logic Remy has failed his medical at Liverpool.

David Ospina, who was out of contract with Nice at the end of the year, is joining Arsenal for a fee estimated at between 3 and 3.5 million sterling. Os piña is evidently going to be given a shot at the starting job.

It looks like Antoine Griezmann will be joining Atletico Madrid for about 30 million euro, which will be quite a blow to Real Sociedad. In my view, Atleti have done a good job in filling the holes left by their more or less forced sales of stars.

L'Equipe are reporting that Pep Guardiola is interested in bringing Victor Valdes to Bayern as Neuer's backup.
   427. frannyzoo Posted: July 27, 2014 at 01:27 PM (#4758429)
Ursus: That Griezmann news is great to hear, but I do feel for RSO. Loved watching their counter in 2013-2014. As long as the Atleti doesn't go home again and spend on Torres, they've done real well (and just about balanced the books, maybe).
   428. ursus arctos Posted: July 27, 2014 at 01:49 PM (#4758438)
Yes, I'm afraid that RSO may be the new Villarreal, though I admit to not having a clue as to how good their youth teams are. From a competitive balance perspecttive, La Liga needs more than 3 good teams, though 3 is definitely better than 2.

And yes, Atleti could undo a lot of good work by spending anything on Torres. There doesn't seem to be much chatter about that in Spain at the moment.
   429. Howling John Shade Posted: July 27, 2014 at 04:27 PM (#4758523)
   430. ursus arctos Posted: July 27, 2014 at 05:09 PM (#4758565)
Pleased to say that Fiorentina publicly described his candidacy as "untenable" today.

The racism is certainly disqualifying, but there are plenty of other reasons why a 71 year old sports bureaucrat whose League is a cesspit of corruption and who has always played along with the status quo is the last thing that Italian football needs right now.
   431. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 28, 2014 at 09:27 AM (#4758878)
Falcao takes some swings in the batting cage at Marlins Park. He looks like he knows what he's doing, which I guess isn't a huge shock given that Colombians play baseball.

At one point he nearly decapitates the pitcher with a line drive.
   432. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: July 28, 2014 at 09:46 AM (#4758891)
Who's the nation with the best combined soccer/baseball teams? Colombia would have to be up there, as would Japan, South Korea, the US, and Mexico.
   433. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 09:53 AM (#4758897)
Colombia would have to be up there, as would Japan, South Korea, the US, and Mexico.

The Netherlands and Italy have pretty good baseball teams now. I'd probably go with the US, though.
   434. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM (#4758909)
Not much Tottenham news today. Jan Vertonghen is about to sign a new 5 year deal. I thought he and Lloris would both leave this summer which tells you what I know. Julian Green to Spurs rumors persist but on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate that rumor about a 3. And I found out today that Spurs have a right back playing for the U-21's named Kyle Walker-Peters. Heh!
   435. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4758927)
Bolton news: Jay Spearing named captain. He was no star last year but certainly better than the last Liverpool castoff to join Bolton (David Ngog).

But the true leader will surely be the Silver Fox, Kevin McNaughton. I can't remember seeing someone with grey hair and a completely non-grey beard before. It's a reversal of traditional reality. What's up with this guy? Are they frosting their tips with grey dye in Britain now?
   436. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM (#4758969)
Messi goin' to jail!

Well, probably not, but he is going to court. The umpteen million clubs in Spain that don't pay their taxes will not be, though.
   437. ursus arctos Posted: July 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM (#4758973)
He's probably not going to court, either. This will be settled short of a trial.
   438. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM (#4758988)
He's probably not going to court, either. This will be settled short of a trial.

If they really want to punish him they should make him pay Atleti's taxes.
   439. ursus arctos Posted: July 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM (#4759002)
The fisc better get to Atleti before they spend all of the cash on smart buys like Greizmann
   440. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM (#4759009)
The fisc better get to Atleti before they spend all of the cash on smart buys like Greizmann

If they haven't gone after the clubs by now I can't imagine they ever will. It will just exist as something Sid Lowe can reference when he feels like writing one of his "The End is Near for La Liga" articles.
   441. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: July 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM (#4759014)
Spurs after both Schneiderlin and Rodriguez, apparently. Poor Southampton.
   442. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM (#4759018)
Poor Southampton.

Yeah, sad for them, but yay Spurs!
   443. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM (#4759023)
   444. ursus arctos Posted: July 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM (#4759039)
Lazio say that they have signed Stefan De Vrij from Feyenoord. No word on fee yet.

And Blackpool have gotten their playing staff up to 10 with two guys who have washed out of multiple Championship clubs.
   445. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM (#4759041)
Lazio say that they have signed Stefan De Vrij from Feyenoord. No word on fee yet.

I read it's around 8.5 million euros. Bargain of the century compared to the 20 million quid for Lovren. The transfer market is so, so weird.
   446. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM (#4759047)
Ben Smith at BBC is confirming a Schneiderlin/Rodriguez to Spurs deal is imminent. Peach and Smith? I'd say it's imminent, then. I'll be very happy about Schneiderlin and agnostic on Jay Rodriguez. And it will be nice to get a couple of homegrown players in the squad as a bonus.
   447. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: July 28, 2014 at 01:09 PM (#4759061)
Chambers to Arsenal official, looks like £12 million base going up to £16m. Wenger has indicated that Chambers will provide support all around the back (RB, CB, maybe DM), and that they're still in the market for a DM, and (if/when Vermaelan goes) another CB.
   448. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: July 28, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4759138)
It's not as bad as the dismantling of Southampton, but Feyenoord have been gutted as well, losing De Vrij, Pelle, Martins Indi, and Janmaat. And they're in the Champions League!
   449. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4759146)
Talkshit is reporting that the fee for Schneiderlin is 12 million pounds. That can't be right. Schneiderlin was their best player and I just can't believe they'd cave for only 12 million.

It's not as bad as the dismantling of Southampton, but Feyenoord have been gutted as well, losing De Vrij, Pelle, Martins Indi, and Janmaat. And they're in the Champions League!

Atleti, Soton and Feyenoord...you guys need to stop trying.
   450. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: July 28, 2014 at 02:49 PM (#4759152)
Although the team that bought Pelle is Southampton, which is sort of amusing, I guess.
   451. Howling John Shade Posted: July 28, 2014 at 03:11 PM (#4759185)
Talkshit is reporting that the fee for Schneiderlin is 12 million pounds. That can't be right. Schneiderlin was their best player and I just can't believe they'd cave for only 12 million.
Does he have a sell-on fee or something? I'm wondering if this is one of those Rodriguez/Moutinho deals and it will be 12 million for Schneiderlin and some ridiculous number for Rodriguez.
   452. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 03:14 PM (#4759187)
Does he have a sell-on fee or something?

I haven't seen anything concrete yet. I still can't believe Arsenal would let Schneiderlin go to Spurs without a fight so I'm worried about being Willian-ed.
   453. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 28, 2014 at 03:29 PM (#4759215)
And Blackpool have gotten their playing staff up to 10 with two guys who have washed out of multiple Championship clubs.

It's now 11! Peter Clarke, Jacob Mellis and Tomasz Cywka. Two of those guys left Barnsley after last season. I'm sure they'll be lots of help.
   454. frannyzoo Posted: July 28, 2014 at 03:33 PM (#4759224)
Norwich City now up 4-1 v. Nice (the town so nice they...). Beware Championship, the Canaries are about to strike! Or nibble, at the very least.
   455. frannyzoo Posted: July 28, 2014 at 03:39 PM (#4759231)
Shooty: Every UK source I see this afternoon, from Guardian to Daily Mirror still uses that £27million figure for Schneiderlin. It would be unpossible for Talksport to conflate the Chambers and Schneiderlin numbers, right?
   456. ursus arctos Posted: July 28, 2014 at 03:43 PM (#4759233)
Ronaldinho has officially terminated his contract with Atletico Mineiro and is rumored to be off to Boca Juniors.
   457. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 28, 2014 at 03:44 PM (#4759234)
Shooty: Every UK source I see this afternoon, from Guardian to Daily Mirror still uses that £27million figure for Schneiderlin. It would be unpossible for Talksport to conflate the Chambers and Schneiderlin numbers, right?

I don't think the 27 million is a real thing, either, just a number Soton fed to the press as a bargaining tactic. Realistically, 20 million sounds about right so that's what I expect the fee for Schneiderlin to actually be. Not sure about Rodriguez because of his contract situation and injury. I suspect the fee for him will be low. If Spurs get Schneiderlin for 12 million then Levy really is the Svengali he's made out to be.
   458. ursus arctos Posted: July 28, 2014 at 05:39 PM (#4759294)
Manchester United leaking to multiple English sources that they would be willing to sell Fellaini for roughly half of what they paid (i.e., about 15 million sterling).
   459. J. Sosa Posted: July 28, 2014 at 06:06 PM (#4759314)
It is hard to tell what the actual numbers are in deals. From what I can tell the Lovren deal was for 16 mp up to 20. The Chambers deal with Arsenal was similar in terms of add ons.

I'm bad at guessing, but I would think 20 might get it done for Schneiderlin. Players with Schneiderlin's skills seem to be a little undervalued. I have no idea what Rodriguez went for. Very credible people are saying that one has been done for awhile (pending a physical I assume).

Regarding Remy, he evidently flunked the physical after a second opinion due to a heart condition and insurance wouldn't cover him. LFC are especially sensitive to heart problems because they almost had a player die from a heart condition a couple of years ago.

The Southampton thing is approaching Marlin levels. They might as well get rid of Ward-Prowse and everything else that isn't nailed down. It is shameful, especially the way ownership canned Dodd, a man who had almost 400 appearances for their club and ran perhaps the best academy in England only to get fired with a BS reason given. And then turn around and make millions of pounds of profit off of his (and others') efforts with the academy.

I don't blame anyone at the club working for Leibherr for jumping ship.
   460. Howling John Shade Posted: July 28, 2014 at 06:35 PM (#4759332)
   461. TFTIO is familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda Posted: July 28, 2014 at 07:45 PM (#4759376)
Officials in Qatar's Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy have been using offices on the 38th and 39th floors of Doha's landmark Al Bidda skyscraper – known as the Tower of Football – which were fitted out by men from Nepal, Sri Lanka and India who say they have not been paid for up to 13 months' work.

Now that's some serious euphemism.
   462. Textbook Editor Posted: July 28, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4759491)

Seriously WTF has happened/is going on at Blackpool? Aren't they still getting parachute payments? How does a Championship team get to 12 days before their first match without a ####### GK on the roster? Is it that hard to find a GK available on a free?
   463. puck Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:46 AM (#4759511)
Geez, West Ham lost a friendly 3-1 to Sydney FC, and it was no cheapie. The starters gave up 2 goals on counters, and Sydney added a 3rd goal on a counter (with the help of a missed handball call) in the 2nd half.

I don't know if West Ham got the Sydney starters or what, but Newcastle beat Sydney 4-0.
   464. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 07:26 AM (#4759529)
Geez, West Ham lost a friendly 3-1 to Sydney FC, and it was no cheapie.

Worse than that, they lost to Wellington FC, too!
   465. ursus arctos Posted: July 29, 2014 at 07:49 AM (#4759534)
Blackpool are being being bled by their owners, who are taking the parachute payments and other income out of the club for use in their other businesses and personal expenses. It isn't just the playing staff, either, they haven't updated their training facilities since the days of Stanley Matthews.
   466. frannyzoo Posted: July 29, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4759556)
But I don't want Lavezzi. Atletico...don't get Lavezzi. I'd much rather have Jesus Navas, but a Sevilla return looks like his only exit from City.
   467. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: July 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM (#4759574)
Anyone catch Sounders/Galaxy last night? Seattle got torn apart -- so much so that the 3-0 scoreline possibly flatters them. I was in and out in the second half, so it's possible they regrouped and put in a respectable second half performance.

Are there any legs to that Aquilani to NYCFC rumor? I still contend that things could've worked out differently at LFC for him if not for injuries.
   468. Mefisto Posted: July 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM (#4759579)
I watched the whole Galaxy/Sounders game. The first half was a shellacking; Seattle was lucky not be trailing by at least 4. Even in the second half, Galaxy had the better of the game. It was a real eye-opener.

Anyone else notice that Van Gaal has declared Luke Shaw unfit (not injured, out of shape)? Shaw looked terrible in the United games I've seen. But my real question is this: how can a 19 year old kid be "out of shape"?
   469. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM (#4759590)
how can a 19 year old kid be "out of shape"?

Especially one that hasn't had an actual off season yet. League to WC to Man U's USA tour. When did he have a chance to get unfit? This seems more like Van Gaal asserting his alpha dog-ness, coincidentally after Mourinho decided not to comment about how much more money Shaw makes than many Man U senior players...
   470. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM (#4759596)
Well Van Gaal did have Kuyt playing wingback for him previously. Park Ji Sung is unfit compared to Kuyt.
   471. Mefisto Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM (#4759603)
Maybe that's all it is, but fitness is pretty easy to measure (beep test, e.g.). And I'm not sure that picking on a 19 year old -- if that's all it is -- is being an alpha dog. It's more being a bully.

At the same time, it's hard to see why it would benefit the team to harass your only option at left back/wing.
   472. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM (#4759604)
It's more being a bully.

Well, this is Louis Van Gaal we're talking about.
   473. ursus arctos Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM (#4759609)
Marca are reporting that Real Madrid have signed Norwegian wunderkind Martin Ødegaard (15 years of age and 11 appearances for Strømsgodset) for €12 million.
   474. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4759610)
What's with Real scooping up all the Nordic wunderkinder?
   475. puck Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:22 AM (#4759616)
I watched Sounders/Galaxy. The only thing I'd add to Mefisto's take is there was a Nats pissing contest in the 2nd half. Yedlin threw an elbow/forearm at DelaGarza (though did not seem to connect) and Omar Gonzalez took offense and shoved Yedlin from the blindside. Then Gonzalez leaned over Yedlin. Dempsey came over to shove Gonzalez and give him the attitude and Gonzalez whirled around with what looked pretty close to a swing.

Donovan did not then shove Dempsey, so I guess he really is out of the Nats pecking order.
   476. DA Baracus Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM (#4759620)
Especially one that hasn't had an actual off season yet. League to WC to Man U's USA tour.

Never having time off to recover is one way to not be in shape.
   477. ursus arctos Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:27 AM (#4759622)
Carlos Tevez' father has been kidnapped in Argentina, in what looks to be a carjacking gone worse once the perpetrators realized who their victim was. Tevez has left Juventus' training camp and is on his way back to Argentina.
   478. Mefisto Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM (#4759631)
Never having time off to recover is one way to not be in shape.

Heh. I think all the England players had plenty of time to recover.

In any case, Van Gaal's solution is to put him on a special conditioning program. That's a bad idea if failure to recover is his problem.

479. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4759635)
Heh. I think all the England players had plenty of time to recover.

Ha! Really, though, Van Gaal pulled all the England players back a lot earlier than other clubs did. Spurs WC players didn't report until today and most of them were only in Brazil a few days longer than the England players. Shaw might just be gassed.
   480. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM (#4759639)
Ralph Krueger--Soton's something or other--is making the rounds in the UK media to "guarantee" Schneiderlin and Rodriguez won't be sold. Interesting developments!
   481. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM (#4759640)
Carlos Tevez' father has been kidnapped in Argentina, in what looks to be a carjacking gone worse once the perpetrators realized who their victim was. Tevez has left Juventus' training camp and is on his way back to Argentina.

This is terrible. Shades of Michael Jordan's father.
   482. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM (#4759645)
Ralph Krueger is that ice hockey guy who Southampton hired last winter to make sure everyone knew they would start doing indefensible things.
   483. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM (#4759655)
Krueger is coming on talksport right this second. Let's hear what he has to say...
   484. ursus arctos Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM (#4759658)
Liverpool have completed the Origi signing and will loan him back to Lille for the upcoming season.
   485. ursus arctos Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM (#4759661)
Krueger quotes via Twitter:

“Jay and Morgan are not for sale, and they will be a part of our club as we enter the new season. They are part of the core that we have decided to keep at Southampton.”
   486. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM (#4759663)
Krueger is not leaving himself any wiggle room. Schneiderlin and Rodriguez NOT leaving.
   487. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM (#4759665)
Krueger is also adamantly denying the club is for sale.
   488. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM (#4759667)
I wonder what Schneiderlin and Rodriguez think of all this. Ben Smith has reported Rodriguez has already agreed to terms with Spurs and there's a lot of heat Schneiderlin turned in a transfer request at Soton's request. So...either Soton have reversed course in the face of massive criticism or Ralph Krueger is being well paid to be the public scapegoat. Leave it to Spurs to wait too long to make their move.
   489. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM (#4759668)
Krueger is definitely slick in the North American sports style.
   490. J. Sosa Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM (#4759669)
An interesting interview with Krueger. Rushden didn't pull any punches.

Thoughts from anyone that listened to it? It took guts to go on but I am pretty sure it was a bad idea. I'm not sure how much say he and Koeman have at this point.

Maybe the deal is for January. =)

edit to add: I do wonder if Soton freaked out from the negative press. The more cynical side of me thinks they are afraid of reducing the pool of potential sap buyers too much if they keep blowing it up in such spectacular fashion.
   491. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4759677)
Maybe the deal is for January. =)

Or August 30th. Schneiderlin will still "have played for Soton this season" by then!

I do wonder if Soton freaked out from the negative press.

This is my worry. I don't think they expected to become such a big national story.
   492. DA Baracus Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:34 PM (#4759688)
That sucks about Tevez.

In any case, Van Gaal's solution is to put him on a special conditioning program. That's a bad idea if failure to recover is his problem.

Not failure to recover, lack of opportunity. It's the best idea if he really is behind the rest of the team. These aren't robots that react to training exactly the same.
   493. Swedish Chef Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM (#4759691)
Sam Allardyce's future hanging by a thread after David Gold 'favourites' a tweet asking for West Ham boss to be sacked

Modern times.

I think it's a no-brainer to sack him, they want to go somewhere where Big Sam can't take them. Sacking him would be rather more straightforward than passively-aggressively buying all the kinds of player Sam hates. Also, Moyes needs a job.
   494. Swedish Chef Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM (#4759695)
I see limited upside in second guessing Van Gaal, he is a madman but he knows everything about football. Also, Shaw is at an impressionable age, now's the time to challenge him.
   495. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM (#4759696)
they want to go somewhere where Big Sam can't take them.

Relegation?

It seems like a game of chicken there. Big Sam won't leave any money on the table and the Davids don't want to pay him for doing nothing. It's like Costanza at the toy factory.
   496. Swedish Chef Posted: July 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM (#4759704)
Big Sam won't leave any money on the table

Big Sam likes the money under the table.
   497. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 01:14 PM (#4759722)
Big Sam likes the money under the table.

I think we can agree he likes money on the table, under the table, beside the table and, ideally, that the table itself also be made of money.
   498. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 01:29 PM (#4759732)
Jeez, now Krueger is on BBC. He is making the rounds!
   499. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 02:05 PM (#4759746)
Morgan Schneiderlin is NOT a happy man.

He's pulling a Berbatov.
   500. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: July 29, 2014 at 02:32 PM (#4759754)
It's weird to be on the other side of one of these transfer brouhahas. I feel like a Real Madrid fan! Schneiderlin has--gasp!--unfollowed Soton on twitter. And with that I say....FLIP.
Page 5 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.