Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 14, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread July, 2014

Link to June Thread

” cols=“100” rows=“20”>

Finally we get to talk about what really matters: transfer rumors!

Oh, and there are some games too:

July 15: KR Reykjavik vs Celtic & other Champions League Qualifiers

July 16: Lanus vs Atletico Mineiro (Recopa Sudamericana Leg 1), Philadelphia Union vs NY Red Bulls, Champions League Qualifiers

July 17: Europa League Qualifiers, Hearts vs Man City (Friendly)

July 18: RB Leipzig vs PSG (Friendly), Tijuana vs Puebla, Querétaro vs Pumas UNAM

July 19: Seattle Sounders vs Tottenham Hotspur (Friendly), Sporting KC vs LA Galaxy, León vs América

July 20: DC United vs Chivas USA

July 22: Champions League Qualifiers 2nd Leg, Club Nacional vs. Defensor Sporting (Libertadores)

July 23: Liverpool vs Roma, Toronto FC vs Spurs, Sporting vs Man City, LA Galaxy v. Man U (All Friendlies)

July 24: Olympiakos v. Milan (Int. Champions Cup), Europa League Qualifiers

July 25: Sacramento Republic vs West Brom (Friendly), Santos Laguna vs Cruz Azul

July 26: Man U vs Roma (ICC), Real Madrid vs Inter (ICC), NYRB vs Arsenal (Friendly), Chicago Fire vs Spurs (Friendly)

July 27: Milan vs Man City (ICC), Liverpool vs Olympiakos (ICC)

July 28: Seattle Sounders vs LA Galaxy

July 29: Defensor Sporting vs Nacional (Libertadores)

July 30: Real Salt Lake vs NYRB, Bolívar vs San Lorenzo (Libertadores)

Link to June Thread

Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: July 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM | 608 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7
   601. ursus arctos Posted: August 05, 2014 at 02:37 PM (#4764848)
Flip
   602. J. Sosa Posted: August 05, 2014 at 02:48 PM (#4764869)
Reina struck me as a guy who often wasn't even in shape. Maybe that is unfair, but he didn't even look fit half the time towards the end at Liverpool. As best I can tell he is on between 100 and 110 a week, which is insane for a player of his ability. I would assume the mooted 2 mp transfer fee is going to Reina to reduce his wages.

I really don't get it for Bayern, but hey, I'm glad to be rid of him. Even with a partial buyout it is probably going to save the club north of 10 mp. If it sounds like I'm being overly harsh towards Reina, that is probably fair. I disliked his propensity for allowing near post goals and his perceived (to my eye) lack of physical fitness. I also didn't like the charade he put on of being loyal to the club while batting his eyelashes at Barcelona. Rodgers was right to call BS and ship his can out of town. Reina reponded by writing a letter professing his love for the club while dissing Rodgers. He was never going to see the field again for Liverpool, and justifiably so to my mind.

Thanks for your service, don't let the door hit you on the way out Pepe.
   603. Spivey Posted: August 05, 2014 at 02:53 PM (#4764878)
Reina seems like an MLS quality keeper. I don't understand how he's still getting caps and roster spots in Europe.
   604. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: August 05, 2014 at 03:09 PM (#4764912)
I can't speak to his time at Napoli, but during his last couple seasons at Liverpool, Reina's best attribute was his distribution. It was particularly notable in comparison to Mignolet -- it's night and day between the two. On the other hand, as 602 notes, Reina skills as a shot-stopper seemingly fell off the table. He wasn't letting in howlers per se, but rather goals that you figured a halfway-decent 'keeper would've saved. Further, I never thought Reina was anything special in coming off his line and commanding the area on crosses/corners. This is possibly best epitomized when Reina inexplicably tried to come off his line and beat Aguero to a ball, only for the latter to get there first and brilliantly chip Reina to the far post.

I'm not convinced Mignolet is a long-term solution, mind you, but when considering wages, it's a pretty easy decision.
   605. ursus arctos Posted: August 05, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4764999)
   606. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: August 05, 2014 at 06:27 PM (#4765128)
Hideous, or the greatest thing ever!
   607. puck Posted: August 06, 2014 at 01:02 PM (#4765571)
MK Dons drew a home game vs AFC Wimbledon in the League Cup. It's on beIN on Tuesday Aug 12.

beIN also has Carlisle United-Derby County on Monday, Coventry-Cardiff on Wednesday.
   608. Swedish Chef Posted: August 06, 2014 at 01:17 PM (#4765586)
Page 7 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Vegas Watch
for his generous support.