Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, March 02, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread March, 2014

Lots of great games this month and a lot of good mid-week action. Make or break time for Arsenal, Barcelona and Napoli.

March 5th: Ukraine vs USA
March 8th: Seattle vs Sporting KC as MLS gets started, Chelsea vs Tottenham, Arsenal vs Everton in the Cup
March 9th: Man City vs Wigan in the Cup and in Italy Juventus begin have the first of their three battles in the span of two weeks and Napoli host Roma
March 10th: CONCACAF CL begins with Alajuense taking on Arabe Unido. Feel the excitement!
March 11th: Bayern v Arsenal and Atleti v Milan
March 12th: Barca v Man City and Rangers v Airdrie United
March 13th: Spurs v Benfica, Napoli v Porto and Juventus v Fiorentina in some good looking EL matchups.
March 15th: Seattle v Toronto in the battle of American stars, the battle of the Borussias in Germany, Bayern v Leverkusen
March 16th: Derby Day! Liverpool vs Man U and Spurs vs Arsenal
March 17th: Torino v Napoli
March 18th: Chelsea v Galatasaray and Crawley Town v Wolverhampton
March 19th: Borussia Dortmund vs Zenit and Man U vs Olympiacos
March 20th: Europa League return legs
March 21: Freiburng vs Werder Bremen
March 22: Chelsea v Arsenal, Monaco v Lille
March 23: Spurs v Southampton, Real Madrid v Barca, Napoli v Fiornetina
March 25: Manchester Derby, Roma v Torino
March 26: Liverpool v Sunderland, Sevilla v Real Madrid
March 27: Inter v Udinese
March 29: Arsenal v Man City
March 30: Liverpool v Spurs, Barcelona Derby, Athletic v Atletico, Napoli v Juventus

Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 02, 2014 at 11:12 AM | 1404 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 15 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. Gamingboy Posted: March 03, 2014 at 04:49 PM (#4665642)
March 5th: Ukraine vs USA

Okay, I don't go into the soccer thread much, but I have to ask: Is this game really going to be played?
   2. Sean Forman Posted: March 03, 2014 at 04:55 PM (#4665647)
Moving it to Cyprus apparently
   3. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 03, 2014 at 04:58 PM (#4665648)
They moved it to Cyprus a couple weeks ago (when the protests were starting). Apparently the ref who was assigned to the match has his car blown up recently.
   4. Textbook Editor Posted: March 03, 2014 at 09:48 PM (#4665788)
Serious question: It's early in the process of seeing how all of this plays out, but is there even a snowball's chance in hell for a widespread boycott of the 2018 WC? So much has been made of Qatar's being a ########### in 2022 that it's almost slipped from the radar that the process of awarding 2018 to Russia was likely just as corrupt a process. Add that onto the political angle and UEFA's general dissatisfaction with FIFA in general and it seems the air is ripe for talk of a 2018 WC boycott.
   5. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: March 03, 2014 at 10:08 PM (#4665792)
Man, the EU won't even do more than tut tut at Putin, there's no way the corrupt ######## at UEFA care.
   6. puck Posted: March 03, 2014 at 10:12 PM (#4665796)
Okay, I don't go into the soccer thread much, but I have to ask: Is this game really going to be played?

Doesn't sound like it will be played any longer.
   7. madvillain Posted: March 03, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4665807)
According to reports, the game has been cancelled.

Between this and Dempsey's suckitude and Altidore's toils in Sunderland it's been a #### week for the USMNT. Really bothered that Jozy didn't even make the bench for Sunderland. ####### Fletcher missed a sitter, a real sitter, not like some of the half chances Jozy's blown this year (I'll give you the one against Newcastle was pretty bad, but it wasn't THIS bad). When will Poyet and Sunderland realize it's their entire #### team that contributes to the lack of goals from their strikers and that when you get one or two half chances a game it's hard to find a rhythm or get some confidence.

Man, Jozy was in a real tough spot with AZ desperate to sell and Di Canio going so hard after him and then Di Canio is sacked and he has no advocate in the boot room. I'm not saying Jozy hasn't had a lot to do with the situation he's in (same with Clint) but it's also been quite a bit of bad luck in Jozy's case.
   8. puck Posted: March 03, 2014 at 11:19 PM (#4665816)
Uncancelled. Tweet.
   9. Howling John Shade Posted: March 04, 2014 at 12:38 AM (#4665841)
Apparently, Ukraine may ask FIFA to expel Russia from the World Cup. I won't hold my breath.
   10. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:40 AM (#4665899)
Enjoy this next World Cup, fellas, because the couple coming after it are fraught with all kinds of moral quandaries.
   11. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 04, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4665918)
I'd be shocked if 2018 didn't go ahead. There is plenty of time for the Russians to #### it all up but 4 years from now I don't think anyone is going to give a #### about Ukraine (feel free to mock me in February, 2018).

I think 2022 is in greater jeopardy. The big clubs are not going to be keen about letting their players go away mid-season (obviously the leagues would stop...right?) but I think a winter WC might be the thing that pushes the big European teams at least into a super league.

As a separate question is a winter World Cup going to be played during the 21-22 season or the 22-23 season? You can do a winter WC in January, 2022 or December, 2022. Does anyone know?

Between this and Dempsey's suckitude and Altidore's toils in Sunderland it's been a #### week for the USMNT

Brek Shea adding to the great US week.
   12. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 04, 2014 at 11:29 AM (#4665997)
I'd be shocked if 2018 didn't go ahead.

I'm certain both 2018 and 2022 will go ahead as planned. I was thinking more that those two venues may cross the line for me as far as being able to set real world concerns aside and just enjoy the competition. I already can't countenance the Qatar world cup built on the backs of hundreds of dead Nepalese and Russia is becoming more and more difficult to set politics aside.
   13. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: March 04, 2014 at 04:05 PM (#4666277)
On Jozy, I have to think MLS has him in their sights as their next big target. As with Bradley, while he's probably(*) good enough to hang around as a mid-table striker in one of the bigger leagues, one of the New York teams would almost certainly double his current earnings if he returned to MLS.

(*) Or maybe not. I haven't gone through the exercise, but I don't think it would be that difficult to come up with 15 EPL strikers I'd rather have than Jozy.
   14. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 04, 2014 at 04:15 PM (#4666291)
Between this and Dempsey's suckitude and Altidore's toils in Sunderland it's been a #### week for the USMNT

Also Stuart Holden tried once again to play in a game and once again seems to have a career-ending injury.

Him and Charlie Davies, man, that seems like two incredibly bad strokes of luck for a single national team.
   15. DA Baracus Posted: March 04, 2014 at 04:27 PM (#4666304)
In case you haven't seen it, an oral history of the US at the '94 World Cup.
   16. madvillain Posted: March 04, 2014 at 05:11 PM (#4666348)
Also Stuart Holden tried once again to play in a game and once again seems to have a career-ending injury.

Him and Derrick Rose man, what could have been. I hate this crap, just sad. Not sad like an overweight Ronaldo or Shawn Kemp, but like legit "great athlete #### knees" sad. Damnit, really feel for Holden.

Yea, between him and Davies, the UMSNT has lost what were potentially really good players. Not world class, but certainly guys that could have played at a continental level in Europe.
   17. PepTech Posted: March 04, 2014 at 05:12 PM (#4666349)
an oral history
heh - you said, "history"
   18. jmurph Posted: March 04, 2014 at 05:15 PM (#4666351)
(*) Or maybe not. I haven't gone through the exercise, but I don't think it would be that difficult to come up with 15 EPL strikers I'd rather have than Jozy.

Right, I hate to pile on, I'm pulling for the guy, but he's probably not good enough to play for the lower table side he currently plays on, so...
   19. The Buddy Biancalana Hit Counter Posted: March 04, 2014 at 05:43 PM (#4666376)
Yea, between him and Davies, the UMSNT has lost what were potentially really good players. Not world class, but certainly guys that could have played at a continental level in Europe.

Bobby Convey before them, also.

Heck, Rossi and Subotic might argue that having been eligible to play for the USMNT may not be great for your physical health.
   20. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 05, 2014 at 08:09 AM (#4666597)
I'm not sure Rossi can make the claim skipping out on the US was good for his health...

Imagine the Nats with Rossi, Subotic and a healthy Holden and Davies. Holy Toledo!
   21. frannyzoo Posted: March 05, 2014 at 08:59 AM (#4666602)
2018 and 2022 are such good choices, Sepp should just go whole hog and give North Korea or the Star Wars "Death Star" the 2026 WC. 2030 could be set in a post-apocalyptic land of shopping carts, ala The Road.
   22. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 05, 2014 at 10:44 AM (#4666637)
2030 could be set in a post-apocalyptic land of shopping carts, ala The Road.

Well, you can fit a pretty good sized bribe in a shopping cart...

23. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 05, 2014 at 02:04 PM (#4666758)
Vidic has a signed a deal with Inter for next season proving the new boss at Inter is a lot like the old boss. I thought Vidic was the bester player in the PL a couple of years ago, but he seems a shell of his former self these days.
   24. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 05, 2014 at 02:12 PM (#4666764)
I thought Vidic was the bester player in the PL a couple of years ago, but he seems a shell of his former self these days.

Agreed. If I'm Moyes I'm buying his plane ticket for him. ManU needs help in central defense but Vidic, as great as he once was, is more harm than help at this point.
   25. ursus arctos Posted: March 05, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4666772)
The game is very different in Serie A.

Vidic is done for the Premier League, but I think he can still do a job for Inter in a league where strong, but rather static with tactical and positional awareness still have value.
   26. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 05, 2014 at 02:40 PM (#4666786)
Yea, once he got hurt at the end of 2011, Vidic was never the same. I'll miss him - if I could find a jersey of his that was cheap I might buy it, but its the correct move to let him and Rio leave.

I forget who the Freiburg fan is - but how good is Ginter? How much would Moyes and Woodward need to offer (and not mess it up) to get him? I don't think Smalling will ever develop into a top center back, Evans is ok but shouldn't be a regular starter on a team that is fighting for Champions League titles, which at this point United is a far away from, but those are the players moyes should be looking for. Jones hopefully will develop into a world-class CB, but United would have to buy two or three more central midfielders this summer to make sure that happens.
   27. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 05, 2014 at 02:43 PM (#4666791)
G 1 Tim Howard
D John Anthony Brooks
D 2 Edgar Eduardo Castillo
D 3 Oguchi Onyewu
D 5 Geoff Cameron
M Sacha Kljestan
M 8 Fabian Johnson
M 10 Clint Dempsey
M 13 Jermaine Jones
M 22 Alejandro Bedoya
F 17 Jozy Altidore
   28. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 05, 2014 at 02:49 PM (#4666799)
I forget who the Freiburg fan is - but how good is Ginter?

I've only seen him a couple of times but he's very highly rated and he'll leave Freiburg in the summer. I've heard 7 million Euros floated as the price for him but if Man U are leaking that number they may as well send him an Arsenal or Bayern shirt now and wish him good luck.
   29. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 05, 2014 at 02:58 PM (#4666811)
Thanks, with the money United is supposedly spending in the summer that's not excessive, even up to 10M Euros.

I initially thought Brooks was a MLS player. Didn't know he was another German-American guy. Hopefully he can show something. CB depth is obviously lacking for the US. Maybe Gooch will recapture his form, but I doubt it.

Does Cameron have a chance of being the RB, or will Klinsmann stay with Besler?

Edit: not Besler, but Brad Evans.
   30. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 05, 2014 at 04:12 PM (#4666817)
So much for that. That defensive breakdown was bad.
   31. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 05, 2014 at 04:29 PM (#4666827)
Pretty terrible defense today. More importantly, when a Cypriot referee is arguing with a Ukrainian player, with what language are they yelling at each other?
   32. Swedish Chef Posted: March 05, 2014 at 04:34 PM (#4666831)
with what language are they yelling at each other?

I think it's wrong to assume that they try to find a common language to yell in, the ref can't card if he doesn't understand the insults, after all.
   33. J. Sosa Posted: March 05, 2014 at 04:39 PM (#4666839)
- I don't follow Serie A all that closely, but the transfer activity of the two Milan clubs recently is odd. I know they both have a reputation for bringing in older players, but bringing in Vidic seems like a bad idea even with the slower pace of the league. Inter flogged Coutinho in essence because they were in a hurry to bring in someone else, a deal which seemed like a ripoff at the time and even more so now. I guess maybe with Thohir they have more resources but with Milan bringing in guys like Kaka and Taraabt and Inter bringing in geezers like Vidic it seems like an odd way to do business. With the new stadium Juve are going to run riot for the foreseeable future correct?

- Despite the hand wringing in some parts of the press, Liverpool's financials looked ok to me. My bean countery skills are sub par, but am I correct that if LFC started converting the inter company loans to equity that would be the canary in the coal mine in regards to FFP? It looks like FSG are pushing the financials as hard as they can and the commercial numbers explain why Ayre is still employed.

- Thanks for publishing the xG stuff MCoA, it looks promising.

- "Strikers in the PL I would rather have than Jozy excluding age and wages" is an interesting exercise. I'm going to try to limit it to players that at least occasionally lead the line, if not necessarily pure 9's.

1. Torres
2. Ba
3. Eto
4. Lukaku
5. Suarez
6. Sturridge
7. Giroud
8. Podolski
9. Negredo
10. Aguero
11. Dzeko
12. Jovetic
13. Adebayor
14. Soldado
15. Traore
16. Rooney
17. RVP
18. Welbeck
19. Chicharito
20. Remy
21. Lambert
22. Rodriguez
23.Carroll
24. Benteke
25. Jelavic
26. Long
27. Crouch
28. Bony
29. Michu
30. Chamakh
31. Anelka (in terms of footballing)
32. Borini
33. Fletcher
34. Campbell

Not looking so good. I'm sure there are some I missed. Barring an undisclosed injury or something in his personal life I've been really dissapointed. I don't fault Sunderland, I think Jozy has not performed well and his body language on the pitch isn't great. I haven't looked at any in depth information but the times I've watched him at Sunderland his work rate has been for the most part abysmal and his instincts are poor. It is a shame, I thought he would do well the second time around in England.

34. Sean Forman Posted: March 05, 2014 at 04:59 PM (#4666862)
Couple questions.

1) has USMNT member ever played in a Champions Lg final or semi final?

2) Who is the best player produced by the US "system." ? I'd consider Rossi part of the US system. Born and raised in the US through 12.

thanks
   35. Swedish Chef Posted: March 05, 2014 at 05:12 PM (#4666873)
1) has USMNT member ever played in a Champions Lg final or semi final?

2) Who is the best player produced by the US "system." ? I'd consider Rossi part of the US system. Born and raised in the US through 12.

1) Tim Howard played both legs for United against Porto in the last 16 in 2004, don't know if anybody has done better than that.

2) That has to be Howard or Friedel.
   36. ursus arctos Posted: March 05, 2014 at 05:24 PM (#4666884)
I think that John O'Brien also made it to the quarters with Ajax in 2002-03.

I'd agree with Howard or Friedel. If we are excluding keepers, my top two would be Donovan and Claudio Reyna, though Rossi has a decent chance of surpassing both of them, and some people might pick Dempsey. If O'Brien had managed to avoid the chronic injuries that torpedoed his career, he would be part of the conversation. He really was a terrible loss to US soccer.
   37. Mefisto Posted: March 05, 2014 at 05:26 PM (#4666887)
If you limit it to field players, Donovan is the best for me. Rossi is good, but so injury-prone he's hard to judge.
   38. ursus arctos Posted: March 05, 2014 at 05:33 PM (#4666893)
BTW, Ginter has just made his full debut for Germany.
   39. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 05, 2014 at 05:51 PM (#4666909)
Dempsey did play in that Europa League final and scored that goal against Juventus.

If Donovan can be the best US outfield player mainly playing in the MLS, I'd imagine Bradley has got to be in the conversation if he play well for Toronto.
   40. Manny Coon Posted: March 05, 2014 at 06:08 PM (#4666922)
has USMNT member ever played in a Champions Lg final or semi final?

DeMarcus Beasley, 2005, PSV, semifinal against Milan.

Who is the best player produced by the US "system." ? I'd consider Rossi part of the US system. Born and raised in the US through 12

Friedel or Donovan, depends on how you feel about keepers vs. field players.
   41. ursus arctos Posted: March 05, 2014 at 06:18 PM (#4666931)
Good call.

Beasley played 60 minutes of the first leg that PSV lost; he wasn't even in the squad for the second leg (which PSV won 3-1, going out to Ambrosini's injury time goal).
   42. Manny Coon Posted: March 05, 2014 at 06:38 PM (#4666943)
Another notable Champions League appearance for an American is Jovan Kirovski who was on the 1997 Dortmund team that won Champions League. He played some in the group stages, but did not play in the knockout games, but that still counts as being on the Championship team.
   43. Sean Forman Posted: March 05, 2014 at 11:10 PM (#4667048)
Thanks.
   44. J. Sosa Posted: March 06, 2014 at 11:20 AM (#4667146)
Beasley has had an interesting career. I believe he was also the answer to a BTF riddle about Man City I didn't know.

Wilshere broke his foot. Out six weeks.
   45. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 06, 2014 at 01:36 PM (#4667197)
Holy crap!

Chasing the dream is expensive.
   46. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: March 06, 2014 at 08:45 PM (#4667497)
Troll bait: http://deadspin.com/getting-ready-for-mls-allow-us-to-convince-you-otherwi-1537875746?

In the comments the author states: "NFL:NCAA football :: EPL:Serie A, EPL:MLS :: NFL:NFL Europe" which leads me to believe he doesn't follow college football and vastly overrates it's quality.
   47. J. Sosa Posted: March 07, 2014 at 07:50 AM (#4667617)
Lucas is back training with the reserves. Sakho should be back soon too. The break this week does LFC some good I think. Hopefully they will be at full strength the remainder of the season except for Enrique.
   48. Flynn Posted: March 07, 2014 at 08:26 AM (#4667622)
I think that John O'Brien also made it to the quarters with Ajax in 2002-03.

Although Beasley went one further and Kirovski was a squad player for a champion team, JOB for Ajax was probably the nexus of American in a key role on a very good team. That Ajax team was excellent, and probably would have won the thing in a year or two's time had they been able to keep everybody (and everybody fit, in the case of poor JOB), and JOB was a key player on that team when he was fit.

49. jmurph Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:26 AM (#4667717)
These Americans in Champions League semi-finals posts remind me that I'm sorry that I mostly missed the era when great teams from outside of Spain/England/Italy/Germany could actually make a run at, or even win, the Champions League. With PSG (and maybe eventually Monaco) being the exception, we're not really likely to see a Dutch or Portuguese or even French team there anytime soon.
   50. PepTech Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:10 PM (#4667839)
To clarify a little bit:

NFL:NCAA football :: EPL:Serie A

EPL:MLS :: NFL:NFL Europe
Seeing those on separate lines makes it a little more clear what he was getting at, particularly if you limit the comparison to the NCAA top 25. A couple of years ago I was thinking a top MLS team might not get relegated from the EPL, but I was just being silly.
   51. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:17 PM (#4667850)
I don't know if this has been posted.

The final WC friendlies were announced. Azerbaijan? Turkey and Nigeria are both solid challenges, though. The game against Turkey is in New Jersey so I may have to think about that one. I wonder if the building I work in has tickets available. Hmmm...
   52. Flynn Posted: March 07, 2014 at 01:32 PM (#4667859)
These Americans in Champions League semi-finals posts remind me that I'm sorry that I mostly missed the era when great teams from outside of Spain/England/Italy/Germany could actually make a run at, or even win, the Champions League. With PSG (and maybe eventually Monaco) being the exception, we're not really likely to see a Dutch or Portuguese or even French team there anytime soon.

I find it immensely depressing when Ajax fans on the Ajax board I post on get excited when an Ajacied is playing for a club in the last 16 of the CL, or when they argue with each other over their favorite big team.
   53. Manny Coon Posted: March 07, 2014 at 02:08 PM (#4667877)
Although Beasley went one further and Kirovski was a squad player for a champion team, JOB for Ajax was probably the nexus of American in a key role on a very good team. That Ajax team was excellent, and probably would have won the thing in a year or two's time had they been able to keep everybody (and everybody fit, in the case of poor JOB), and JOB was a key player on that team when he was fit.

John O'Brien is sort of the Bill Walton of USA soccer; pretty much the best of the best at his peak, but his peak was just so short it's impossible to compare him to guys like Donovan or Reyna.

Beasley's run at PSV was actually pretty impressive that year, he scored 4 goals in CL play and was big part of them getting that far. He and Farfan made it so both their wings were super fast and quick. The reason he didn't play in the second leg of the semi-final was an injury and from there his injuries only started to get worse, especially during his time at Rangers. While he's hung around he's never been quite the same player, at the time though he was basically what Dempsey was to Donovan in 2010, the second star of the national team, but with more European club success.

Part of what makes Donovan's career so impressive is that he was basically a better version of Beasely age 19-25 and Dempsey age 26-31 in a single career.
   54. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 07, 2014 at 03:23 PM (#4667909)
That Turkey friendly match should have a great atmosphere. The local Turkish fans livened up a Nets game considerably when Turkoglu (Turkish basketball player) came to town.
   55. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:18 PM (#4667969)
After watching Wednesday's not-so-great match, I think the US' current lineup going into Brazil is (I did not see most of the US-S. Korea friendly):
Jozy
LanDo - Dempsey - Zuzi
Bradley - Jones
Beasley - Besler - Gonzalez - Cameron
Howard

I'd be open to taking Johannsson over Jozy & Fabian Johnson over Beasley and maybe Bedoya over Zuzi. Jones & Gonzalez in the starting lineup isn't ideal but I don't see any worthwhile replacements available.
   56. Mefisto Posted: March 07, 2014 at 04:56 PM (#4668003)
Dempsey looked terrible on Wed. If he gets back to form, I'd want to see him start. If not, I'd much rather have Aron.
   57. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 08:35 AM (#4668199)
The final WC friendlies were announced. Azerbaijan? Turkey and Nigeria are both solid challenges, though. The game against Turkey is in New Jersey so I may have to think about that one. I wonder if the building I work in has tickets available. Hmmm...

Azerbaijan isn't exactly what I'd like in an opponent, but Candlestick is by far the closest chance I've had at seeing the USMNT in a while, so I might just have to pull the trigger and make that trip.
   58. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 08:52 AM (#4668200)
Frodo!!!
   59. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4668201)
"Mourinho's Folly" with the equalizer!!!
   60. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 09:58 AM (#4668205)
Barkley with the let off.
   61. Spivey Posted: March 08, 2014 at 11:42 AM (#4668227)
That was the best Arsenal has played in a while. It was also the best Ozil has played in a while. I guess those aren't entirely unrelated.
   62. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:22 PM (#4668255)
Oh, Spurs. I'm sensing a 3-1 drubbing today, with a lonely consolation goal late in the affair.
   63. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:23 PM (#4668257)
Wow, looks like Walker is playing right midfield/right wing. Sandro and Bentaleb in the center midfield. Torres pulled up lame in warmups - not sure if the Spurs fans like that development or not.
   64. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:27 PM (#4668258)
This is a crazy ass Spurs lineup. 5 at the back? I don't even know. Let's just get the pain over with so I can get on with my weekend.
   65. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:30 PM (#4668261)
Lennon as AMC behind Adebayor?

Wackadoodle today ...
   66. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:34 PM (#4668263)
Wow Spurs got lucky. Eto'o looked onside and that would have been a red for Lloris.

Lucky again with Hazard missing - Spurs looking very shaky.
   67. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4668264)
So, this new defensive lineup is working out great, two clear Chelsea breaks on goal in what, under 5 minutes?
   68. Spivey Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4668265)
I'll give Torres credit. He sucked for a couple of years there, but he doesn't suck right now. He's not a world class striker, but he's not out of place on a team like Chelsea. But I don't think he's good enough to be the clear #1 on a team like this. I think they bring back Lukaku next year, have Torres press Lukaku and give him some rest and rotation there. Eto'o has been less toasty than I would have expected but I don't think he should be above the #3 striker on a team like this and I'd assume he wants to play more.
   69. Spivey Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:46 PM (#4668268)
Chelsea is really good, and they have a ton of depth. But I think that Hazard is their Ramsey/Suarez/Aguero. I think they would really struggle to score if they miss him for any games late in the year.
   70. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:52 PM (#4668269)
Well, after that near disaster of a first five minutes, Spurs have looked pretty solid. Even threatening at times ...
   71. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 01:53 PM (#4668270)
Hell of a left from Khal Sandro, nice save from Cech.

[edit] Oh, no ... he's done shaved it off ... poor move, that.
   72. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:18 PM (#4668278)
Well, Hell, I didn't see *that* half coming ...
   73. Textbook Editor Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:29 PM (#4668281)
I'd say Sherwood has about a 20% chance of remaining manager in August, and that 20% basically depends on them winning the Europa League at a minimum. I'm not even sure I'd want him retained if a miracle happened and they ended up in the CL.

74. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:43 PM (#4668288)
Oh, dear, dreadful.

Once again we see the torrid results of the "Danny Rose debacle" that has plagued Spurs the entire season.

Pathetic.
   75. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4668289)
And now ... RED!

Yeah, about what I expected ...
   76. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:48 PM (#4668290)
The bullshit this year just never ends. Up until the slip that was as assured I've seen Spurs in a long time, too. This season has just been cursed.
   77. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:48 PM (#4668291)
I'm surprised the penalty was given - most refs will give the benefit of the doubt to the defenders but that's probably a foul in the middle of the pitch.
   78. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:53 PM (#4668292)
Actually, I change my mind - not a foul, much less a penalty.
   79. Howling John Shade Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:56 PM (#4668295)
I'm surprised the penalty was given - most refs will give the benefit of the doubt to the defenders but that's probably a foul in the middle of the pitch.
It's really hard to tell, all the replays they've shown start after Eto has already started to go down. Looks like it could be a spectacular dive. Either way, Spurs were lucky to have 11 men on the pitch at the time so it's hard to feel too outraged.
   80. Textbook Editor Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:56 PM (#4668297)
Goodbye, Tim.
   81. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:57 PM (#4668298)
Shrug.

If life was honest, Spurs should have been down to 10 men in the 1st half when Lloris should have gotten the Red and the Blues should have gotten the penalty.

This was a nice turn from Timmeh, but the reality is that Spurs have never shown that they deserve to be considered anything close to CL quality ...
   82. Howling John Shade Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:58 PM (#4668299)
On the other hand, Oscar's a punk for trying to get Sandro sent off there. You're up two goals and a man, no need for that.
   83. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 08, 2014 at 02:59 PM (#4668300)
OK guys. I haven't seen any talk of this at all. Am I completely crazy, or was Eto'o also offside on that penalty decision? I never saw a replay showing where he was when the pass was made.
   84. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 03:09 PM (#4668305)
Well, I'll give Spurs this, that's easily the best they've looked in defeat all year ...
   85. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 03:16 PM (#4668309)
And 3.

That's all.

[edit] And ... 4 doh!

####### ####### Spurs.
   86. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4668311)
Wow. Just awful.
   87. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 08, 2014 at 03:23 PM (#4668312)
####, I ####### hate Chelsea.

Stab, stab, stab.
   88. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: March 08, 2014 at 04:03 PM (#4668327)
In advance of the MLS season opener, MCofA is putting up some wonderful stuff across SB Nation -- see here for his MLS advanced stats page, and here for a preview of the Timbers.

Good slate of games today, with SKC v Seattle starting shortly, and the Galaxy v RSL later tonight.
   89. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 09, 2014 at 12:51 AM (#4668486)
I'd say Sherwood has about a 20% chance of remaining manager in August

I'd say you'd misplaced a decimal.

Timmeh's got about a 2%* chance of being Spurs manager come June; the real question is ... what players will the next Spurs manager have at his disposal, because ... which players are going to force their way out in the summer after they fail to reach the CL ... again?

*n.b. Actually, Sherwood's got an approximately 0.0% chance of being retained after the last match of this season, but that's just rude to tell Timmeh at this point of the proceedings ...
   90. Bull Pain Posted: March 09, 2014 at 11:58 AM (#4668566)
I'm pretty sure Sunderland just threw their FA Cup QF against Hull. Fielded a weakened side despite not having another game until Saturday, conceded a penalty that was saved and got away with a stonewaller while it was still 0-0. Finally allowed a free header off a free kick because their main defender didn't jump and followed it up by conceding two more goals that were the result of defenders flubbing balls at their feet under light pressure. Then the commentator mentions a Gus Poyet quote about fixture congestion if they were to win or need a replay. Shameful considering there is a 1/3 chance of drawing Sheffield United and getting a free pass to Europe.

Edit:
And Hull draw Sheff Utd in the semis. Assuming City beat Wigan, that means the winner of Hull-Sheff Utd go to Europe, and the FA Cup Final will be pretty shitty.
   91. frannyzoo Posted: March 09, 2014 at 12:11 PM (#4668574)
The less than zero financial incentive of relegation + Europa League makes "throwing" FA games necessary. Birmingham City, in particular, comes to mind. Not to mention the Thursday/Sunday problem.

Meanwhile, Manchester City is still in one or two too many competitions, even with all their money. If I'm Pellegrini, I'm not terribly sad if Wigan pulls off the upset today.
   92. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 09, 2014 at 12:35 PM (#4668588)
That's not a penalty for me.
   93. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 09, 2014 at 01:14 PM (#4668610)
C'mon Wigan!
   94. madvillain Posted: March 09, 2014 at 01:26 PM (#4668615)
I'm pretty sure Sunderland just threw their FA Cup QF against Hull.

Nah, they're just that bad. They got a dead cat bounce when they canned Di Canio, but now they look the exact same under Poyet. And Poyet said Sunderland isn't to blame for Jozy's poor form. Yea, right, good one Gus. Your entire strike force has no confidence, wonder why that is, maybe it's because you get them 1 or two half chances a game?
   95. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 09, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4668621)
And now they come ...
   96. frannyzoo Posted: March 09, 2014 at 01:45 PM (#4668626)
2-2 is the worst possible result for City here, right? Or does this round go to extra-time/penalties? I'm watching in Russian, so...
   97. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 09, 2014 at 01:51 PM (#4668633)
Wigan holding on for dear life ...
   98. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 09, 2014 at 02:02 PM (#4668639)
Wigan!!!
   99. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 09, 2014 at 02:25 PM (#4668644)
I can't believe Arsenal is the only Premier League team left. They'll mess this up, won't they?
   100. frannyzoo Posted: March 09, 2014 at 03:42 PM (#4668682)
The battle for Serie A 2nd Place and a flip...I'm taking Roma, even in Naples.
Page 1 of 15 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
rr
for his generous support.