Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, March 02, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread March, 2014

Lots of great games this month and a lot of good mid-week action. Make or break time for Arsenal, Barcelona and Napoli.

March 5th: Ukraine vs USA
March 8th: Seattle vs Sporting KC as MLS gets started, Chelsea vs Tottenham, Arsenal vs Everton in the Cup
March 9th: Man City vs Wigan in the Cup and in Italy Juventus begin have the first of their three battles in the span of two weeks and Napoli host Roma
March 10th: CONCACAF CL begins with Alajuense taking on Arabe Unido. Feel the excitement!
March 11th: Bayern v Arsenal and Atleti v Milan
March 12th: Barca v Man City and Rangers v Airdrie United
March 13th: Spurs v Benfica, Napoli v Porto and Juventus v Fiorentina in some good looking EL matchups.
March 15th: Seattle v Toronto in the battle of American stars, the battle of the Borussias in Germany, Bayern v Leverkusen
March 16th: Derby Day! Liverpool vs Man U and Spurs vs Arsenal
March 17th: Torino v Napoli
March 18th: Chelsea v Galatasaray and Crawley Town v Wolverhampton
March 19th: Borussia Dortmund vs Zenit and Man U vs Olympiacos
March 20th: Europa League return legs
March 21: Freiburng vs Werder Bremen
March 22: Chelsea v Arsenal, Monaco v Lille
March 23: Spurs v Southampton, Real Madrid v Barca, Napoli v Fiornetina
March 25: Manchester Derby, Roma v Torino
March 26: Liverpool v Sunderland, Sevilla v Real Madrid
March 27: Inter v Udinese
March 29: Arsenal v Man City
March 30: Liverpool v Spurs, Barcelona Derby, Athletic v Atletico, Napoli v Juventus

Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 02, 2014 at 11:12 AM | 1404 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 15 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   301. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM (#4673946)
Flop
   302. Randy Jones Posted: March 19, 2014 at 01:05 PM (#4674000)
I don't know why anyone would want Mancini after what he did with City. He was awful for them in basically every way.
   303. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 19, 2014 at 01:41 PM (#4674026)
Grant Wahl on the Julian Green switch to the USA

He makes a good point that this works out well for Bayern commercially, especially with the Bundesliga moving to Fox. Everything always works out for Bayern...
   304. J. Sosa Posted: March 19, 2014 at 02:03 PM (#4674046)
Ah. I had been wondering why Bayern has been so accomodating.

In preperation for my pending BMG fandom I've been trying to read what I can here and there on the Bundesliga and it's history. Man, the stereotypes about Bayern really do have a lot of facts behind them don't they?

Also, I didn't mention this earlier but what a win against Dortmund for Die Fohlen. I really wish I had more access to matches.
   305. DA Baracus Posted: March 19, 2014 at 02:31 PM (#4674072)
He makes a good point that this works out well for Bayern commercially, especially with the Bundesliga moving to Fox.

Green would actually have to play for them first though for there to be any impact.
   306. Swedish Chef Posted: March 19, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4674086)
Green would actually have to play for them first though for there to be any impact.

If he isn't up to that, they can probably sell him for silly money to MLS thanks to his nationality.
   307. Flynn Posted: March 19, 2014 at 02:53 PM (#4674088)
I don't think Bayern particularly care who he plays for either way, although I think Klinsmann probably gave them some confidence that he won't be handled incorrectly by some idiot Philistine manager (disregarding Klinsi's bad stint as Bayern manager).

As for Bayern's rep, they are certainly unafraid in any way to throw their weight around and Hoeness has made them look bad. But they also have a good reputation in Germany for coming to the aid of any club in financial difficulty by paying a bill or scheduling a friendly with all proceeds to the struggling club.

Sosa, if you're interested in German footballing history then Uli Hesse's Tor! is the definitive history in English. I think he just released a new version. Uli is a hardcore Dortmund fan and a very nearly as hardcore Pittsburgh Pirates fan who wrote his graduate thesis on baseball and punk rock.
   308. J. Sosa Posted: March 19, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4674108)
Thanks for the rec Flynn I will pick it up.
   309. ursus arctos Posted: March 19, 2014 at 03:51 PM (#4674112)
As usual, Flynn is spot on with that recommendation.

Even if you don't read German, I recommend kicker's Bundesliga 50th Anniversary site, which is full of stats, photos and video clips. Click on any year at the top to see the details for that season, then click on any team's badge for roster, results and player ratings.
   310. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4674118)
In preperation for my pending BMG fandom I've been trying to read what I can here and there on the Bundesliga and it's history. Man, the stereotypes about Bayern really do have a lot of facts behind them don't they?

They're the Yankees, only less lovable.
   311. Baldrick Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:13 PM (#4674122)
Van Persie wins and penalty and then smashes it in, and they're now down only 2-1. If they play as well for the next 65 minutes as they have for the first 25, they should very easily grab at least one more goal.

I haven't actually watched United much this year, so it's been hard for me to tell precisely who to blame. But I'm watching now and they look really good! Is this a radical exception?

They are having some trouble keeping possession - lots of mediocre decisions and worse execution - but they usually win it back quickly and are slicing their way through Olympiakos.
   312. Randy Jones Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4674123)
I haven't actually watched United much this year, so it's been hard for me to tell precisely who to blame. But I'm watching now and they look really good! Is this a radical exception?

They still have talent. The problem has been mental mistakes by the midfield and defense and in way too many games, they don't show up ready to play. Also, the tactics and formations don't seem to be the best fit for the talent they have and don't seem to be well matched to their opponents. Moyes has basically been the problem or at least the largest problem. I am usually one to give something like this more time, but he has to go.
   313. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:36 PM (#4674138)
I think Randy undersells how poor the central defense has been. Whatever combination of Rio/Jones/Vidic/Smalling United have rolled out there they have had a great many games where they have looked either old and slow or young and inexperienced.

Which is not a defense of Moyes who deserves his share of blame for this shitshow.

That goal at the end of the half is a real disappointment. I felt at 1-0 there was a chance Olympiacos could have a chance in the second half. Now they have to play United even the rest of the way and there has been nothing to indicate that is going to happen.
   314. Baldrick Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:36 PM (#4674139)
A second goal from United, from a nice little move by Rooney to Van Persie. And they're right back in it.

If (and of course it's a big if) United were to get another goal here, and then continue further in the Champions League, how far would they have to go to rescue the season? Basically, if they finish 6th in the league but make it to the finals of the Champions League, is that a satisfactory haul? Or have they been so terrible in so many matches that even some success in Europe can't paper over the underlying problems?
   315. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:39 PM (#4674144)
I wrote up my long review of the Spurs season today. Basically, I think AVB and Sherwood screwed up the season, and I'm kind of hopeful that these same players, utilized not terribly wrong, can be a contending team.
   316. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:40 PM (#4674146)
If (and of course it's a big if) United were to get another goal here, and then continue further in the Champions League, how far would they have to go to rescue the season? Basically, if they finish 6th in the league but make it to the finals of the Champions League, is that a satisfactory haul? Or have they been so terrible in so many matches that even some success in Europe can't paper over the underlying problems?
More importantly, if United win the champions league, which club getting Spurs'd would be the funniest result?
   317. Randy Jones Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:42 PM (#4674147)
More importantly, if United win the champions league, which club getting Spurs'd would be the funniest result?

For me, Liverpool. Given the number of Spurs fans here, I suspect most would say Chelsea or Arsenal.

EDIT: Also, United aren't winning the CL.
   318. Swedish Chef Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:44 PM (#4674149)

Wenger is very good at whingeing, but he has the sense to not go ballistic after an Act of God misfortune. Mourinho, on the other hand...
   319. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:45 PM (#4674151)

That's a tough one. Liverpool wouldn't be that funny, they've been out of it long enough that it would be disappointing and they are such a fun team to watch plus of course they are owned by the greatest and most benevolent owner in sports history.

Arsenal - Man, Wenger's whine-o-thon would be spectacular. Hearing him explain in great detail the unfairness of it all would be glorious.

Chelsea - Just the fact that the team that Spurs'd Spurs would then gets Spurs'd would be top notch. I think Mourinho would probably have a hysterical if not entirely reasonable take on things.

But my vote is...

Man City - I mean c'mon. What an absolute kick in the teeth that would be. After being the "noisy neighbor" for so long and this season should be the crowning moment, it all goes right for you while it all goes wrong for United and then all of a sudden right at the death Lucy pulls the football away? That would be brutal. That would've been like the Yankees winning the last 12 games of the season last year and going on to win the World Series with A-Rod being named WS MVP.
   320. Swedish Chef Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:46 PM (#4674152)
EDIT: Also, United aren't winning the CL.

Chelsea did and they were pretty crap that season. It wouldn't take a bigger fluke.
   321. jmurph Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:46 PM (#4674153)
Oh I'll even admit that City would be the funniest result. Liverpool probably the cruelest.

Hope as all you Spurs fans might, Arsenal will be playing in the Champions League knockout round(s) for all of eternity, so that's clearly not going to happen.
   322. Ron J2 Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:50 PM (#4674159)
#314 Pretty sure that reaching the finals would do nothing to change how the season is seen. Winning it would certainly help a bit though.

It'll still be seen as a disastrous season because the Champions League is a much lower priority than domestic results.
   323. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:53 PM (#4674161)
I think Spurs fans would prefer Chelsea getting Spurs'd rather than Arsenal. It won't happen in a million years though.

As RVP kills the Greeks...
   324. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4674164)
That was some terrible goalkeeping.
   325. Baldrick Posted: March 19, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4674165)
And there's Van Persie's hat trick. WTF was the keeper doing?
   326. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 19, 2014 at 05:08 PM (#4674171)
The problem here is that while I can see Olympiacos scoring at some point in the next 25 minutes I'll be shocked if United don't get a 4th.
   327. Swedish Chef Posted: March 19, 2014 at 05:15 PM (#4674173)
It would be in line with United's season if they conceded in the last minute on a defensive howler or flagrant dive.
   328. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 19, 2014 at 05:18 PM (#4674175)
How has Valencia played as along and as well as he has with basically one eye?
   329. J. Sosa Posted: March 19, 2014 at 05:48 PM (#4674185)
-- Bah. Well at least Moyes might have saved his job. I will rest easier if and when Man U go out though.

-- I will never understand why Moyes sets the team up to defend corners the way he does.

-- Rio is an idiot.

-- I'm not quite sure why this was portrayed as a famous victory to use the commentator's words. Shameless time wasting and putting 11 men behind the ball against a team like Olympiakos at home for an extended period of time reeks of something, but I don't think it is the smell of famous.

-- Thanks for the tip Ursus.
   330. Baldrick Posted: March 19, 2014 at 06:04 PM (#4674188)
-- I'm not quite sure why this was portrayed as a famous victory to use the commentator's words. Shameless time wasting and putting 11 men behind the ball against a team like Olympiakos at home for an extended period of time reeks of something, but I don't think it is the smell of famous.

They overcame a 2-goal deficit in the Champions League knockout stage. That's pretty uncommon, not matter who you're playing. It's also definitely the biggest highlight of the year for them. I can completely understand why it's referred to as a 'famous victory,' if only in the context of the rest of the season.

I also don't know about shameless time wasting. To me, that means faking injuries, refusing to take free kicks, walking extremely slowly, etc. Didn't seem to me that they did that stuff. They just killed time by holding the ball in the corner. Would it be better if they had killed the game with tiki-taka passing? Sure. But it didn't seem particularly out of line. And they still had some decent chances right up until the Van Persie injuries. It was only in extra time that they gave up on trying to score.

If they could manage to play this well in both legs of the next round, they could certainly advance further. I wouldn't bet on it (and it depends on who they draw), but there's still some sort of life in the team. Unless Van Persie is out for the rest of the season, in which case they're probably DOA in the next round.
   331. Swedish Chef Posted: March 19, 2014 at 06:14 PM (#4674192)
Manchester United (and Bayern) have one advantage, they don't have to take their league seriously.
   332. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 19, 2014 at 07:01 PM (#4674202)
Manchester United (and Bayern) have one advantage, they don't have to take their league seriously.

Olympiakos too.
   333. J. Sosa Posted: March 19, 2014 at 07:24 PM (#4674214)
For the time wasting, I had in mind Fellaini dog paddling over the ball although you are correct the corner flagging is not properly seen as unsporting. I thought for a moment Fellaini was going to emulate the Swansea ball boy. It just seems odd to me that a team like Man U was that much under the cosh.

Is expecting a two goal margin against Olympiakos at Old Trafford to be overturned outlandish? Olympiakos have given up an average of 3 or more when they have played in England the last dozen or so trips. I certainly hoped Man U would go out, but had no expectation that they would, quite the opposite. English clubs don't play well at Olympiakos but they simply are not very good which is why the 2 nil was so shocking. I'm not sure how much of it is that Man U played well, although Rooney and RVP played better together than they have for awhile.

334. Swedish Chef Posted: March 19, 2014 at 07:33 PM (#4674217)
Is expecting a two goal margin against Olympiakos at Old Trafford to be overturned outlandish?

Not really, but Olympiakos were heavy favorites and I was very tempted by the 3.3 odds on Man U advancing, but I didn't bet because I got a message that Betfair had increased their take and I didn't feel like sending any money their way.
   335. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: March 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM (#4674432)
Spurs in for Pochettino?

Rumors...just rumors...I'm starting to think LVG ends up at United, though. He's available and he has the pedigree for the job. The one name that is intriguing but hasn't been mentioned in conjunction with Spurs is Bielsa. If we can't be the champs maybe we can be the hipsters' favorite team!
One thing I learned reading the new Inverting the Pyramid is that Pochettino was a ball-playing central defender for Bielsa's Old Boys club in Argentina. Playing the ball quickly out of the back is a sine qua non of Bielsa's style, so he was a really key figure in those teams. His pedigree goes quite directly back to Bielsa.

My other Pochettino fact is that his Southampton teams attempt tons of through-balls, second only to Arsenal in the EPL last I checked. But they have by far the worst rate of through-ball completion. I don't know to what degree this is his fault, to what degree it's personnel (perhaps playing through-balls to Rickie Lambert isn't ideal tactically), but I'd be interested to see how his tactics translate to a bigger side.
   336. J. Sosa Posted: March 20, 2014 at 04:42 PM (#4674629)
I have a great deal of respect for Pochettino tactically (as does Rodgers, up until this last match Southampton gave Liverpool fits). He's supposedly popular with players as well. Coutinho thought very highly of him from their time at Espanyol and he came fairly close to going to Southampton.

As for the through balls, the general consensus from LFC centric bloggers/podders following the Saints/Reds match is that Southampton's midfield is actually much superior to Liverpool's but the vast gulf in quality between the strikers made the difference. Whether that's been true the whole season I don't know. Osvaldo didn't work out but bringing him in to start with suggests they thought that position was a problem.

If given a chance I think Pochettino is the ideal hire for Spurs.
   337. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 20, 2014 at 10:59 PM (#4674696)
I'm pretty happy with the fightback from Spurs today. They almost pulled off the improbable comeback.
   338. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:33 AM (#4674731)
I'm pretty happy with the fightback from Spurs today. They almost pulled off the improbable comeback.

It was very close. I thought we might get that penalty call when Kane got bundled over in the box.
   339. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:44 AM (#4674732)
And as usual, Bayern gets the easy draw.
   340. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:51 AM (#4674733)
And as usual, Bayern gets the easy draw.

Man U?

Ba-domp!

edit: It is Man U!
   341. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:53 AM (#4674734)
Obviously Bayern is a tough draw for United, but there are no easy draws at this point. PSG vs Chelsea. When does Mourinho start to complain about PSG's financial advantage? Atletico v Barcelona should be fun.
   342. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 21, 2014 at 09:56 AM (#4674784)
I wonder if Moyes thinks Giggs in central midfield would work against Bayern.
   343. J. Sosa Posted: March 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM (#4674797)
Chelsea had a team better suited for parking the bus and basically the prototype modern stand alone 9 in Drogba when they made their run. Like Frank suggests, team selection should be interesting for Man U. Even so, like I said earlier I will rest easier if and when they do get knocked out.

Rumblings keep coming out about Messi not being happy. Taking into consideration that guy who accused Messi of wanting a new contract every other week is this becoming a real story or is it all contrived?

Also, Shooty I believe Mourinho has already been whining, good call.
   344. Randy Jones Posted: March 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM (#4674798)
I wonder if Moyes thinks Giggs in central midfield would work against Bayern.

Saddest part is that it would probably work better than United's other CM options.
   345. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM (#4674808)
Also, Shooty I believe Mourinho has already been whining, good call.

He really is shameless. I guarantee you he'll be taking PSG's money one day and wondering what all the fuss is about the budget.
   346. J. Sosa Posted: March 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM (#4674819)
It is an aspiration of his to win everything at clubs in each of the major leagues. I agree, I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's the main reason Madrid was such a bitter pill for him to swallow, he will have seen it as a failure after Porto and Inter. He would happily have gone to Man U, but I think it is part of the reason he went back to Chelsea, it must have galled him to no end to see Di Matteo win.

The day I knew LFC was a legit title threat was the day Mourinho started working the press about clubs that look to win penalties (LFC).
   347. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM (#4674823)
Saddest part is that it would probably work better than United's other CM options.

If he has time on the ball and if the defenders suck (Rooney and RVP are good but they are not particularly fast - yet peeled off with remarkable ease against Olympiacos), then Giggs works. However, he doesn't have the legs to chase anyone and Bayern is going to press the hell out of United. At least Fellaini gives you some physical play, and Cleverly will be English with a ton of "endeavour." I would be shocked if United has more than 35% possession in either match.

From what I've seen (granted my memory can be a bit foggy), Moyes will send out the pretty much the same team if he felt like it worked the previous time. For instance, Moyes sent out the same team against Liverpool (minus an injured Smalling who was replaced by Vidic) that he sent out against West Brom. Maybe he thinks that's his best team. However, that only works if you are Madrid, Bayern or Barcelona because their best team is almost always going to work. With United's history so far this season, how could anyone think using the same team against a dangerous (and better) Liverpool would work just as well against toothless West Brom squad?
   348. Randy Jones Posted: March 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM (#4674831)
At least Fellaini gives you some physical play, and Cleverly will be English with a ton of "endeavour."

Cleverly is just bad. He has all the physical skills, but makes terrible decisions. He has no "football intelligence". Fellaini seems to have totally forgotten how to play, no idea what happened to him.
   349. Baldrick Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM (#4674859)
I could have seen United potentially surviving against almost any of the other teams. They certainly wouldn't have been LIKELY to win against any of them, but there was a credible story to tell where they pulled it off. I honestly can't see any world where they win a two-leg tie against Bayern right now. They are 100% toast.
   350. frannyzoo Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM (#4674863)
While some prefer the cream, I'm a dregs guy...and today has an important relegation tilt in Bundesliga (Freiburg hosting Werder Bremen) and Celta hosting Malaga in Spain. If you haven't seen Luis Enrique's Celta, they play an attractive brand of football, imho.

Meanwhile, who cares about Chelsea/Arsenal? Norwich hosts Sunderland and that's a tremendously more important game (in my delusional mind).

And Atletico v. Barca...great draw and a perfect chance for Atleti to bury some more demons.
   351. Ron J2 Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM (#4674869)
#349 They have the chance that any decent side has in a best of two scenario. They revolve around getting an outstanding two legs from the keeper (because Bayern will get plenty of chances -- almost a given) and the breaks going their way.

To be clear, ManU prevailing over two legs would be a huge upset. No idea what kind of odds I'd require before backing them -- hefty.
   352. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM (#4674878)
The CL draw is really fantastic. I think each tie has something to offer. Munich-ManU is incredibly compelling, either it is the final nail in the Moyes coffin (in my opinion) or it is a shocking turnaround for a historic club.
   353. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 21, 2014 at 01:19 PM (#4674897)
and today has an important relegation tilt in Bundesliga (Freiburg hosting Werder Bremen)

Speaking of which...I think I'm going to cut work early and head to the Football Factory to watch this. If any of you NYC people are around you're welcome to join me. Freiburg v Werder Bremen! Don't try to resist!
   354. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 21, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4674910)
Actually, I'll only be there for the second half now. But I'll be there!
   355. ursus arctos Posted: March 21, 2014 at 03:57 PM (#4674994)
Van Persie out for four to six weeks, which isn't going to help Man Utd's chances at all.

A potentially unusual dynamic in La Liga if Barcelona lose at Madrid this weekend, as Athleti will have more to play for in that competition than Barcelona will.

Europa League draw:
AZ - Benfica
OL - Juventus
Basel - Valencia
Porto - Sevilla

Recall that Juventus are hosting the final. They should be significant favorites to win this.

356. PepTech Posted: March 21, 2014 at 06:21 PM (#4675068)
Just realized, depending on the last draw, the winner of Barca-Atletico could draw Real in the semis and win the thing without leaving the peninsula.
   357. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4675089)
Europa League draw:
AZ - Benfica
OL - Juventus
Basel - Valencia
Porto - Sevilla

On the subject of the Iberian peninsula is it my imagination or has the peninsula really owned this competition in recent years. I will admit to not following Europa League/UEFA Cup especially closely but it seems like the Spanish/Portuguese teams have had a lot of success in it. Barca having success in the Champions League makes sense, they are (or at least were) the best team in the world for several years. This seems like a sign that those leagues are a lot better than they are given credit for (or maybe they just take it more seriously than others do).
   358. Mefisto Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:33 PM (#4675092)
I'm not sure that success in the Champions League is evidence that the Iberian domestic leagues are better, per se. It could be merely that the top teams are better, like the Yankees in the 1950s AL.
   359. Swedish Chef Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:40 PM (#4675095)
This seems like a sign that those leagues are a lot better than they are given credit for (or maybe they just take it more seriously than others do).

Or they may have a knack for finishing third in their Champions League groups. Four of these teams, including Benfica and Porto, comes from there (and another team, Lyon, failed to get by the CL playoff).
   360. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:01 AM (#4675293)
Arsenal look very Spursy against Chelsea this morning.

BTW, that should be a red and a sending off.
   361. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:02 AM (#4675294)
And it is!
   362. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:03 AM (#4675295)
And it is!

For the wrong man!!!

What a crazy first 17 minutes.
   363. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:06 AM (#4675297)
For the wrong man!!!

At least those guys sort of look alike. If he'd sent off Sagna the hilarity would have gone to 11.
   364. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:06 AM (#4675299)
No, this is Wenger pulling a Wenger. I don't know why he does this vs. Mourinho, but this type of game plays right into Mourinho tacticts.

Gibbs was asking for that red instead of Ox.
   365. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:06 AM (#4675300)
Also, how will the FA handle the suspension? Will they retroactively give Ox the one game instead of Gibbs when it's reviewed?
   366. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:08 AM (#4675301)
I don't know why he does this vs. Mourinho, but this type of game plays right into Mourinho tacticts.

I think it's pretty clear by now Mourinho is in his head.
   367. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 22, 2014 at 09:09 AM (#4675302)
At least those guys sort of look alike.

I will say that I've mixed them up more than a few times in games. They do look alike.
   368. Swedish Chef Posted: March 22, 2014 at 11:25 AM (#4675321)
Blatter is leaving a door open on Qatar

Blatter said he "was not a prophet" when asked whether Qatar could lose the World Cup.
   369. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM (#4675349)
Munich-ManU is incredibly compelling, either it is the final nail in the Moyes coffin (in my opinion)

Is there anyone who thinks Munich isn't the favorite to the win the Champions League? By a lot? Why would THAT be the final nail in the Moyes coffin? Or do you mean if they lose by more than 7 goals?
   370. Swedish Chef Posted: March 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM (#4675351)
Why would THAT be the final nail in the Moyes coffin?

Because his chance to keep is job is probably down to winning the CL.
   371. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: March 22, 2014 at 01:55 PM (#4675368)
Is there anyone who thinks Munich isn't the favorite to the win the Champions League? By a lot? Why would THAT be the final nail in the Moyes coffin? Or do you mean if they lose by more than 7 goals?

Favorite? Yes. By a lot? Hell no. I think Real Madrid is right there with them and PSG and Chelsea are legitimate contenders as well. If you gave me Bayern against any of those teams individually I'd take them, Bayern vs. the field I'll take the field.

And Swedish Chef hit it on the second question. If Moyes is going to stay he has to win the CL or at least make real noise and going out in the quarters ain't real noise at this point.
   372. Swedish Chef Posted: March 22, 2014 at 02:17 PM (#4675374)
   373. Flynn Posted: March 22, 2014 at 02:17 PM (#4675375)
Blatter is leaving a door open on Qatar

It's worth pointing out that Blatter has never wanted the World Cup in Qatar, it's Platini and the corrupt 3rd world football bureaucrats who do. It's the one thing Blatter thinks that I agree with.
   374. frannyzoo Posted: March 22, 2014 at 03:24 PM (#4675400)
In the EPL's version of the World's Tallest Midget contest, Norwich wins and every single team below them loses. Sure, "we're" best of the dreck, but it sure beats going to Doncaster Rovers and Huddersfield next year.
   375. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: March 22, 2014 at 03:52 PM (#4675415)
Spurs fans -- know anything about this kid? My assumption, fair or not, is that if Spurs had any inclination that he had a big future, they wouldn't let him anywhere near MLS. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, as it would be nice if the Fire could find a player to consistently feed Mike Magee.

----------

A scheduling quirk leave's Liverpool with five of their remaining eight games at Anfield. The cynic in me still thinks they'll drop points before their two big remaining clashes with City and Chelsea. The effective two-game (because of goal differential) lead on Arsenal for fourth is nice, though.
   376. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM (#4675627)
Naughton is having a really bad game.

So I just realized I get Bein Sports so I'll be able to watch the Clasico today without resorting to streams. !
   377. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: March 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM (#4675630)
Spurs have actually looked good on the attack today.
   378. Baldrick Posted: March 23, 2014 at 04:33 PM (#4675807)
3 goals in Madrid in the first 23 minutes. And a terrible miss from Messi. And a very credible penalty claim. And everyone is running the whole pitch pretty much every 30 seconds. Good lord.
   379. Howling John Shade Posted: March 23, 2014 at 04:43 PM (#4675813)
Spurs fans -- know anything about this kid? My assumption, fair or not, is that if Spurs had any inclination that he had a big future, they wouldn't let him anywhere near MLS.
I think I've released him a few times on football manager, but I don't know anything more than that. He's not one of the young players Spurs' fans get excited about, and that's a pretty low standard.

Hell of a Clasico so far.
   380. Baldrick Posted: March 23, 2014 at 04:46 PM (#4675817)
Another great goal. Messi! And some absurd play-acting from Pepe and Fabregas in the aftermath to ice the cake! Yellow cards for everyone.

Great game.
   381. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 23, 2014 at 04:51 PM (#4675821)
Each team is having success with what they do best. Finely balanced, as they say.

BTW, yay Spurs. That was a nice palate cleanser, though it probably means nothing in the long term. Eriksen was ridiculously good.
   382. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 23, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4675822)
Since I don't have BeIN, what do folks recommend to watch the Classico, that doesn't involve me taking my system through a thorough cleansing afterwards? Every time I've tried one of those streaming sites, I'm totally sketched out by the setup.
   383. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:05 PM (#4675828)
Since I don't have BeIN, what do folks recommend to watch the Classico, that doesn't involve me taking my system through a thorough cleansing afterwards? Every time I've tried one of those streaming sites, I'm totally sketched out by the setup.

I use firstrow.eu and while the pop ups are annoying, the viruses and cookies I assume the site unleashes don't seem to affect my Mac OS.
   384. Howling John Shade Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4675830)
I don't know of a nice clean stream for this game.

But if you have adblocker plus installed, this one seems to be working. Here's a more comprehensive list.
   385. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:20 PM (#4675839)
Ramos again.
Edit: Looks like a clear dive by Neymar on second glance.
   386. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4675840)
Ramos sent off. Bingo!
   387. Baldrick Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:23 PM (#4675841)
The refereeing decisions keep swinging back and forth. There are multiple times in this game when either side could have potentially felt like the conspiracy was in against them.

Most recently, Madrid gets a non-penalty and then Barca get a VERY soft penalty AND Madrid go down to 10 men. And now it's 3-3!
   388. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:26 PM (#4675844)
This is always my issue with Classicos. You usually get about 60 minutes of superb, transcendent football and the rest is a bunch of terrible play-acting, diving and general shennanigans.
   389. Howling John Shade Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:30 PM (#4675847)
Yeah, I think there might have been a bit of contact on Neymar's back ankle, but he was clearly looking for the penalty more than for the goal. Ronaldo's was clearly outside the box, but at least it was a definite foul.

Edit: On second view, looks like there was a decent amount of contact.
   390. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:41 PM (#4675855)
Very dumb from Alonso.
   391. Howling John Shade Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:41 PM (#4675856)
No idea what Alonso thought he was doing there.
   392. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:41 PM (#4675857)
I thought Ramos definitely clipped Neymar's ankle. Ramos knew what he was doing.
   393. Baldrick Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:41 PM (#4675858)
Another very soft penalty and Messi scores.

Man, Messi taking penalties makes it looks like the easiest thing in the whole world to score.
   394. JuanGone..except1game Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:44 PM (#4675860)
Now that was definitely a penalty from Xabi. I think it could have been on the other player guarding Iniesta as well.
   395. AuntBea Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:55 PM (#4675869)
That penalty by Xabi was anything but soft. The Neymar one was harder to see, but he was clear in front of goal... it doesn't take much to get a penalty there.
   396. Baldrick Posted: March 23, 2014 at 05:55 PM (#4675871)
Well, I feel a little bad for Madrid. But on the other hand, the tears of Pepe taste so sweet.
   397. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 24, 2014 at 09:05 AM (#4676029)
So UEFA give Bayern the minimum penalty they can (seriously, what else did you expect), for fans displaying a homophobic banner during the Arsenal game. One section of their stadium will remain closed against United, and they will have to pay a €10000 fine. That'll learn em.
   398. I am going to be Frank Posted: March 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM (#4676065)
The Clasico was fun yesterday. Extra happy that I got to watch it in a controlled environment (my house on a TV). Its nice that both the English and Spanish leagues are so competitive at the top.
   399. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4676084)
The Clasico was fun yesterday. Extra happy that I got to watch it in a controlled environment (my house on a TV). Its nice that both the English and Spanish leagues are so competitive at the top.

I thought it was fun, too. Real Madrid are blaming the referee, as usual, but I thought he did all right. Two of those penalties were bang-bang calls and both were defensible, especially since Ramos did catch Neymar's ankle. I think Neymar dives, but I don't think that he's so cynical he's looking to dive when he's one on one with keeper. A player as good and confident as Neymar wants to score there.
   400. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: March 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM (#4676087)
BTW, my favorite moment yesterday is the look of terror on Marcelo's face when he thought Neymar might be hurt. Divided loyalties!
Page 4 of 15 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.