Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread May, 2014

Real and Atletico go two rounds. Can Liverpool come back? Will Arsenal finally win a trophy?

May 7: Man City v. Aston Villa, Valladolid v. Real Madrid, Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (1st legs)
May 8: Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (1st legs)
May 10: Inter v. Lazio
May 11: Liverpool v. Newcastle, Man City v. West Ham, Atletico v. Malaga, Celta de Vigo v. Real Madrid, Roma v. Juventus
May 13: Germany v. Poland
May 14: Sevilla v. Benfica, Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (2nd legs)
May 15: Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (2nd legs)
May 16: Barcelona v. Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid v. Espanyol
May 17: FA Cup Final (Arsenal v. Hull City), DFB Pokal (Dortmund v. Bayern)
May 24: Champions League Final (Real Madrid v. Atletico Madrid)
May 27: USA v. Azerbaijan, Scotland v. Nigeria
May 28: Denmark v. Sweden, Mexico v. Israel, Cameroon v. Paraguay, Honduras v. Turkey
May 29: Chile v. Egypt, Spain v. Bolivia
May 30: England v. Peru, Portugal v. Greece, Netherlands v. Ghana
May 31: Mexico v. Ecuador, France v. Paraguay

Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: May 07, 2014 at 03:40 AM | 1176 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: May 07, 2014 at 08:07 AM (#4701862)
So, I asked this on the last thread, but does anyone know where to get tickets for the Liverpool/Roma friendly at Fenway? I can't find any tickets that don't come with 50+ dollars of service fees.
   2. ursus arctos Posted: May 07, 2014 at 08:13 AM (#4701865)
as far as I can tell, you have to wait for them to go on public sale.

I don't know how many will be available at that time, particularly if the Bosox give their season ticket holders first crack (which I am guessing is how the ticket agencies got theirs).
   3. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 07, 2014 at 08:57 AM (#4701878)
They do give season ticket holders first crack. I can't even find anything on the Sox' site talking about it and usually they advertise the bejeezus out of these things. I'm sure I'll see something on NESN in coming weeks and I'll let you know.

The EPL looks to be slogging to a pretty boring finish with everything effectively wrapped up both at the top and the bottom before Sunday but La Liga could be crazy. There is a pretty reasonable chance that the final day will start with three teams having a chance at the title and there are five times in range of two relegation spots.

On the Football Weekly podcast yesterday they said that Portugal has passed Italy on the coefficients as the 4th league in Europe. That surprised me but I think highlights how much the Serie A has slipped on the continent.
   4. jmurph Posted: May 07, 2014 at 09:46 AM (#4701903)
The EPL looks to be slogging to a pretty boring finish with everything effectively wrapped up both at the top and the bottom before Sunday

Jose, I am entirely not supportive of your efforts to jinx City. Stop it!

5. ursus arctos Posted: May 07, 2014 at 09:58 AM (#4701913)
The Portugal/Italy coefficient thing is interesting, and a demonstration of the decline of Serie A, but it is quite likely to only last for one season as the season that falls out of the rankings next time around is very favorable for Portugal.

Current table here. Benfica will get enough points for the Europa League final to enable Portugal to pass Italy at season end.
   6. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 07, 2014 at 09:58 AM (#4701915)
Jose, I am entirely not supportive of your efforts to jinx City. Stop it!

I'm not trying to jinx them. Of course it doesn't matter, they are home free at this point. They may as well not even show up today :-)
   7. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 07, 2014 at 10:11 AM (#4701926)
Is the decline of Serie A in any way related to the decisions of various mid-level teams being dominated by maniacs? Both the plutocratic variety who fire the manager every six months, and the ultra variety.

Or does that happen in Spain and Portugal as well, just people are more interested in news about Napoli and Lazio than Valencia and Vitoria de Guimaraes.
   8. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: May 07, 2014 at 10:11 AM (#4701927)
Scott - I just saw on twitter that tickets for LFC v Roma go on sale May 16th. Check LFC's website -- they should have a link up.
   9. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: May 07, 2014 at 11:02 AM (#4702029)
Ligue 2 side Clermont Foot have hired a female manager, Helena Costa, who will become the highest-profile female coach of a men's side (and, really, the first female coach of a recognizably professional male side).
   10. JuanGone..except1game Posted: May 07, 2014 at 11:07 AM (#4702036)
Serie A is just one of those situations with a cascade of issues are all happening at the same time. I'd add the issues of bad television rights contracts, stadium deals, Italy's economy and Racism to the mix. Other leagues may have some of these issues (Spain-Racism/Economy), but Serie A has been hit with a number of them at the same time. I think that Juventus is showing the way back, but that league overall needs some good press in the worst way.
   11. ursus arctos Posted: May 07, 2014 at 11:10 AM (#4702043)
Crispix, Serie A has always megalomanical owners/presidents, even during the Golden Age. The relative weight of the ultra influence is somewhat newer, but is also more complex, as it is part of the much larger context of why people aren't going to matches in anywhere near the numbers they did in the 80s and 90s.

9, Carolina Morace managed Viterbese, a third tier pro club in Italy, in 1999.
   12. JuanGone..except1game Posted: May 07, 2014 at 11:30 AM (#4702079)
Scolari has made his decision:

Goalkeepers: Júlio César (Toronto FC), Jéfferson (Botafogo), Victor (Grêmio).

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Internazionale), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).

Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Internazionale), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk).

Forwards: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg), Jô (Atlético Mineiro).

The only suprises are maybe Coutinho or Moura instead of Bernard, and possible Miranda, Marquinos being left out. I think that the results could be great, but that is not a team built for beautiful football.
   13. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: May 07, 2014 at 11:52 AM (#4702108)
Surprised at Maxwell over Filipe Luis, who has genuinely been excellent for Atletico the whole season (though every time I've seen Maxwell, he's also been impressive - Marcelo is in this side regardless). Hernanes is a player who I've rarely seen impress, even though I watched Lazio a lot over the last few years (I haven't seen Inter much this year). Lucas Moura is a tremendous player - adds an entire dimension with his speed, am really stunned to see him left out (he seems perfect for the role of supersub in a WC, though I suppose Willian can play that role on this team also). Henrique is an odd selection - he's good, but I'm not sure he's better than Miranda (though Miranda would have been a similarly odd selection), so that one is understandable. Weirdly solid defence for Brazil, actually, but going forward? A lot depends on how Hulk plays, and it's because of that that I would have had Lucas Moura in the side (a 4-3-3 with Neymar/Hulk/Willian (who can also play in the middle)/Lucas Moura as the wing forwards would have been a fantastic counterattacking side for this team, but I'm fully expecting a 4-2-3-1 with Oscar in the front three).
9, Carolina Morace managed Viterbese, a third tier pro club in Italy, in 1999.

Morace managed the side for two games - Costa's not only a level higher, but an appointment for the entire season. But yeah, point taken; I should have been clearer there.
   14. ursus arctos Posted: May 07, 2014 at 12:09 PM (#4702135)
Morace's appointment was originally for the entire season as well; I very much hope that Costa lasts longer. Coaching the Iranian and Qatari Women's teams must certainly have prepared her for difficult situations.

It's worth noting that Clermont is very much a rugby city (their local club has gone 78 matches at home unbeaten and were losing finalists in the equivalent of the Champions League last season). As a result, the football club has always played (deep) second fiddle and has some track record when it comes to publicity driven moves.

Scolari has always had a tendency to favor past service over current form. Coutinho deserves to be there as well.
   15. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: May 07, 2014 at 12:19 PM (#4702146)
Thanks for the background on Clermont!
Coutinho deserves to be there as well.

There's a bit of redundancy in his selection, also, with Luis Gustavo/Ramires/Paulinho/Fernandinho* all selected in the middle. I wonder if it might have been better to leave behind one of the DMs (Paulinho, probably, but I've been low on him forever, which I'm sure is in these threads somewhere), and including a more creative, attacking type (Philippe Coutinho?). Then again, if he really is going for the rigid 4-2-3-1, I can see an argument for having four defensive midfielder types (though it seems that all four of these players offer similar questions to the opposition, Fernandinho given his play alongside a very similar player in Yaya Toure being arguably the exception). I guess I just like David Luiz in the midfield a lot more than most people.

This honestly looks like a team that will be difficult for other sides to break down, but that's very much a question of their organisation in camp (and that's entirely down to Scolari, really).

*I've actually consistently used Luis Gustavo as a comparable for both Ramires and Paulinho in terms of positioning and rigidity (or absence thereof).
   16. JuanGone..except1game Posted: May 07, 2014 at 12:38 PM (#4702169)
Scolari's issue has always been his lack of a plan B, which everyone is hitting on. He has a squad that's incredibly deep in very good defensive midfielder and a Coutinho/Moura would have provided him a tremendous option if he has to face a Germany side that they have to break down from midfield. Oscar does compensate for that somewhat since he plays so deep, but his form has been so off since January that I would be a little worried.
   17. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: May 07, 2014 at 12:52 PM (#4702178)
Scott - I just saw on twitter that tickets for LFC v Roma go on sale May 16th. Check LFC's website -- they should have a link up.

Awesome, thanks. The Sox site said tickets were going up May 2nd, then they replaced it with "Information will be forthcoming in the near future." May 2nd was probably the offer to season ticketholders, and the public get a shot on the 16th.
   18. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: May 07, 2014 at 01:49 PM (#4702255)
How well do you think NYCFC will draw at Yankee Stadium next year? I'm guessing the opener will be a sell-out (or close), while the other games...not so much...
   19. ursus arctos Posted: May 07, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4702265)
Impossible to predict without knowing who their Designated Players are and what the pricing is going to be like (they are being opaque on the latter).

There's also a real question as to what a "sell out" is, as there are quite a few seats that really don't make much sense given the soccer configuration.
   20. puck Posted: May 07, 2014 at 02:01 PM (#4702274)
The EPL looks to be slogging to a pretty boring finish with everything effectively wrapped up both at the top and the bottom before Sunday

To add to all of Serie A's issues this season, a lot of their race is wrapped up already as well. The scudetto and the champions league spots are all wrapped up. I guess there's some jostling for Europa spots and relegation. Unless I'm rooting for one of the relegation-threatened teams, though, I don't tend to find those "races" very compelling.
   21. puck Posted: May 07, 2014 at 02:03 PM (#4702276)
The other thing about Brazil looking thin in the attacking spots--are they going to have to play Hulk and Neymar 90 minutes on the wide forward spots for every match?
   22. JuanGone..except1game Posted: May 07, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4702420)
I think Willian's ascension this year helps with wide forward depth problem. He's not the scorer that Hulk is or the team probably needs, but he's creative enough to help Fred up front. Scolari clearly favors Hulk, but in matches when Brazil takes commanding leads, he'll be brought in to provide a two-way presence on the wing.
   23. Astroenteritis (tom) Posted: May 07, 2014 at 03:38 PM (#4702426)

I realize I'm probably the only Sunderland fan in these parts, but I'm not taking anything for granted, as they have proven they can fail to get results at home against anyone.
So far, so good, though.
   24. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: May 07, 2014 at 03:39 PM (#4702428)
Bernard and Willian can play wide, can't they?

Edit: coke to Juan.
   25. jmurph Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:01 PM (#4702462)
So far it's Jose's (not Mourinho, but our very own) Jinx 1-City 0-Villa 0. Damn you Jose!

And for the record this is why the thing isn't nearly over. Even if you're the superior team it's damn hard to get a win against a team set up for the draw, so it was silly to write off Liverpool after Monday. I'm not watching but, from the MBM, it sounds like Villa are playing it perfectly so far.
   26. madvillain Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:05 PM (#4702468)
so it was silly to write off Liverpool after Monday

Yea the media was like "Death blow" when in reality it went from 95% certain of a title to a coin flip.
   27. Swedish Chef Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:11 PM (#4702472)
Yea the media was like "Death blow" when in reality it went from 95% certain of a title to a coin flip.

What, City had the edge even if Liverpool would have won against Palace.
   28. madvillain Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:14 PM (#4702476)
What, City had the edge even if Liverpool would have won against Palace.

Sorry I could be wrong, wasn't paying that much attention, City had a game in hand but weren't they 4 points back entering the weekend?

edit: Did they have two games in hand or something?
   29. jmurph Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4702478)
Right, "coin flip" is too strong. City had the advantage entering today, absolutely. But the idea that this City squad can't drop points, or even lose, against a lesser side (or two lesser sides) is, uhhh, crazytown. That was my point. Liverpool are still very much alive.
   30. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:18 PM (#4702483)
Edin Dzeko laughs at all this talk of jinxes.
   31. Swedish Chef Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:20 PM (#4702487)
Liverpool are still very much alive.

Big Sam wants a bung if he's gonna lift a finger to help them out of their mess.
   32. Swedish Chef Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:41 PM (#4702504)
City showing why the idea of a push to close the goal difference was so silly to begin with.
   33. ursus arctos Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:42 PM (#4702506)
See what you've all done now?

Manchester City 4 Aston Villa 0

And Sunderland are safe. Poyet will never have to buy a drink on Wearside again.
   34. Swedish Chef Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:46 PM (#4702514)
Valladolid equalises in the 86th minute, it's almost like no team wants to win La Liga.

I suspect that the Spanish government has promised some space aliens the private parts of the finest athletes in the country in exchange for UFO technology in a secret deal, and that it has lately leaked to the teams at risk.
   35. ursus arctos Posted: May 07, 2014 at 04:55 PM (#4702523)
It ends 1-1.

Current top of the table (all with two matches remaining)

Atleti 88
Barcelona 85
Real Madrid 84

Which means that if Atleti and Barcelona both win their next game, the final match of the season is a title decider, without any "risk" that a Barcelona win would hand the title to Madrid.
   36. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: May 07, 2014 at 05:05 PM (#4702535)
And Sunderland are safe. Poyet will never have to buy a drink on Wearside again.

Yeah, but on the downside, it means he has to be in Wearside to collect!
   37. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 07, 2014 at 05:14 PM (#4702543)
That is stunning in La Liga. Doesn't anyone want to win that title?
   38. JuanGone..except1game Posted: May 07, 2014 at 05:31 PM (#4702560)
Yeah, but on the downside, it means he has to be in Wearside to collect!

For a man whose been fired in the middle of a TV appearance, every thing but physical injury (which may happen in Wearside) is upside from there.
   39. Mefisto Posted: May 08, 2014 at 08:57 PM (#4703144)
USWNT trailing Canada 0-1 at halftime. Lots of energy for both teams, but neither team is doing much to settle the ball or play combinations. Lots of giveaways, high pressure. Schmid looks awful going forward for Canada, and Leroux likewise for the US. Buchanan has done well for Canada, Brian and O'Reilly look good for the US.
   40. Mefisto Posted: May 08, 2014 at 10:05 PM (#4703173)
US pulls out a 1-1 tie. Leroux with a poacher's goal in the 78th minute off a poor defensive header by Canada. POM for me was Buchanan, the 18 year old (!) Canadian central defender.
   41. frannyzoo Posted: May 09, 2014 at 08:40 AM (#4703247)
I was going to root for Wigan here, but I do love seeing EPL games at Loftus Road. Wigan plays in one of those Three Rivers' Stadium (Sunderland, Southampton, etc.) kinda parks for TV viewing. Give me Loftus Road or Selhurst Park every time.

Naturally, QPR is leaving Loftus Road pretty soon, so screw them.
   42. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 10:22 AM (#4703330)
So, Man City, Juventus, PSG and Bayern...Atletico would seem to be our only hope.

Also, I get the impression Sandro does not like Tim Sherwood. Always side with Sandro.
   43. Swedish Chef Posted: May 09, 2014 at 10:59 AM (#4703380)
Atletico's dreams are going to be so crushed.
   44. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 11:05 AM (#4703389)
I see that the media are criticizing Tottenham for their treatment of Sherwood, but I'm not sure what they're supposed to do. They can't stop that very media from speculating and the "disrespect" seems to be that there is so much speculation. It's kind of hilarious. Now I've got Spurs and Warriors manager/coach rumors to deal with. It's too much!
   45. Swedish Chef Posted: May 09, 2014 at 12:36 PM (#4703494)
Yeah, the best solution for Shooty's sanity is if Tottenham goes for continuity and gives Sherwood an extension soon.
   46. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 01:05 PM (#4703514)
Yeah, the best solution for Shooty's sanity is if Tottenham goes for continuity and gives Sherwood an extension soon.

You know, it's my natural inclination to want the best for whomever is representing the team I've irrationally invested emotion into, but I can not wait until Sunday afternoon when the Sherwood era ends. He's going to be the poster child for why the big clubs don't want an English manager for a while. I don't think he can complain, though. He was given a golden opportunity that will get him a PL job as soon as this summer instead of having to work his way up from the lower leagues. Meanwhile, poor Steve Clarke will probably have to do penance at Millwall or something.
   47. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: May 09, 2014 at 01:06 PM (#4703515)
Also, I get the impression Sandro does not like Tim Sherwood. Always side with Sandro.

Well, he didn't get selected for Brazil's World Cup squad, and I have to think that's at least partially due to Sherwood.
   48. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 01:16 PM (#4703521)
Well, he didn't get selected for Brazil's World Cup squad, and I have to think that's at least partially due to Sherwood.

Partially, but Brazil are so loaded at that position it was always going to be a long shot for Sandro. Really, though, I would rate Vertonghen and Sandro 2 of Spurs' best 5 players and Sherwood has made them both desperate to leave the club. Lloris probably is, too. The best thing Spurs can do is bring in a manager very quickly and have the new manager try to convince these guys hope is not lost. This final game is going to be really weird so Man U might slip into a Europe spot yet, unless Giggs has a secret bonus incentive to make sure they don't make it.
   49. J. Sosa Posted: May 09, 2014 at 02:12 PM (#4703552)
Steve Clarke reminds me of the soccer version of Tom Thibodeau. The perception can be hard to overcome sometimes.

Is there somewhere I can place money on Sherwood becoming Newcastle manager? Because that is the closest to being clairvoyant I'm ever going to be about anything. At this point I think Pardew is actually working for next to free for Ashley, so it isn't like there is going to be a huge severence package if Newcastle bins Pardew.
   50. ursus arctos Posted: May 09, 2014 at 02:25 PM (#4703566)
Knock yourself out.

Currently 28 to 1 at Stan James.
   51. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 09, 2014 at 02:59 PM (#4703590)
Shooty,
Have you been able to catch much of Torino this year? Apparently Dortmund's in the running for Ciro Immobile. Excellent name aside, I don't know much about him.
   52. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:07 PM (#4703593)
Shooty,
Have you been able to catch much of Torino this year? Apparently Dortmund's in the running for Ciro Immobile. Excellent name aside, I don't know much about him.

Just highlights, mostly. I don't get BeIn and, for some reason, the illegal streams have been really crappy this year. Immobile is pretty good, though. He's a striker in the Luis Suarez mold, I'd say (though nowhere near as good, obviously). I hope Torino keep him if they qualify for Europa as they'll need the depth and Immobile won't command the kind of fee to make weakening the squad worth it. I'm afraid the club will struggle like Freiburg did this year trying to compete on multiple fronts.
   53. puck Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:11 PM (#4703600)
Spurs are going after Roberto Martinez? Dirty bastages. Hold out for a big club, Roberto!
   54. ursus arctos Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:13 PM (#4703602)
Immobile has been very good for Toro, and I wouldn't be shocked if he made into Prandelli's squad for the World Cup. I would think that they would only let him go for a significant amount more than the 5.5 million euro they paid for him (his registration is actually co-owned by Juventus, so both clubs would have to agree to a deal, but Juve have much less need for him than Toro do).

There are rumours in Argentina that Toro are looking at some of the promising young strikers there, so there may well be some fire to go with the smoke.
   55. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4703609)
Spurs are going after Roberto Martinez? Dirty bastages. Hold out for a big club, Roberto!

Hey now hey now hey now. Watch the language! He was on the short list when they hired AVB so I'd love to see them fix that mistake. I just don't see Martinez bailing after a year at Everton as much as he's the perfect fit for Spurs. Then again, he's losing Barry, Lukaku and Delofeu, Spurs have at least 35 million to spend and probably more than that, and he'd most certainly have a lot more money in his own pocket if he made the jump. Still, I think he would drop in my estimation if he moved now.

When is our German messiah going to announce the WC squad? His decisions aren't any easier than Scolari's or Low's were...
   56. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4703612)
There are rumours in Argentina that Toro are looking at some of the promising young strikers there, so there may well be some fire to go with the smoke.

Ah well. Such is life for the non mega-bastard clubs. Co-owning a player with Juventus is weird, anyway.
   57. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:21 PM (#4703613)
[43] Especially since Costa just picked up a Grade 1 hammy strain ...
   58. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:23 PM (#4703616)
[43] Especially since Costa just picked up a Grade 1 hammy strain ...

Oof. On the other hand, they did beat Barca in the CL semis without him and he seems to have gone off the boil the last couple of months. Don't give up!
   59. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:29 PM (#4703622)
Speaking of Atletico...is there any interest in an NYC meet up on the 18th for that Atleti-Barca title decider?
   60. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 09, 2014 at 03:33 PM (#4703629)
When is our German messiah going to announce the WC squad? His decisions aren't any easier than Scolari's or Low's were...

Ives mentioned the preliminary squad (or whatever you call it) should be announced next week.

Honestly I don't see a lot of room for controversy. The starting 11 seem set. IMO the biggest question comes at left back and whether Fabian Johnson or DMB get to start there.

EDIT: CB too I guess, now with Omar Gonzalez's injury.
   61. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: May 09, 2014 at 04:13 PM (#4703674)
Speaking of Atletico...is there any interest in an NYC meet up on the 18th for that Atleti-Barca title decider?

It would be kind of cool, but I'm getting married on the 17th (and you met the girl last year!), so...
   62. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 09, 2014 at 06:26 PM (#4703737)
FYI these are the channels for the last day of the Premier League.

On TV and through NBC Sports Live Extra
West Ham United @ Manchester City NBC, ch. 4 / 704 (hd)
* West Ham United @ Manchester City (anunciado en español)Telemundo, ch. 16 / 728 (hd)
Newcastle United @ Liverpool NBC Sports Network, ch. 719 (hd)
* Newcastle United @ Liverpool (anunciado en español)mun2, ch. 197, 227, 1074
Chelsea @ Cardiff City CNBC, ch. 24 / 724 (hd)
Arsenal @ Norwich MSNBC, ch. 23 / 723 (hd)
Aston Villa @ Tottenham Hotspur USA, ch. 38 / 738 (hd)
Manchester United @ Southampton SYFY
Everton @ Hull City Bravo
Crystal Palace @ Fulham E!
Swansea City @ Sunderland Esquire Network
Stoke City @ West Bromwich Albion Oxygen

This is the url: http://www.nbcsports.com/gamefinder to find it on your cable network.
   63. Mefisto Posted: May 09, 2014 at 07:21 PM (#4703756)
Very helpful. Thanks.
   64. Darkness and the howling fantods Posted: May 09, 2014 at 08:09 PM (#4703771)
And as Shooty noted, the Barcelona-Atletico match is on the 18th, not the 16th as I have it listed in the post. I blame whatever website I was copying from (and Shooty for not making the post in the first place).
   65. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: May 09, 2014 at 08:19 PM (#4703773)
Hmmm, mostly a Pu-Pu platter on Sunday. Not even sure what's worth taping, just in case.
   66. DA Baracus Posted: May 09, 2014 at 09:26 PM (#4703784)
Then again, he's losing Barry, Lukaku and Delofeu

Barry's contract is up in the summer, he will probably sign, as soon as next week. Delofeu has supposedly agreed on a loan extension for next season.
   67. ursus arctos Posted: May 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM (#4704008)
All three clubs at the bottom of the Bundesliga lose on the final day.

Braunschweig and Nuremberg are down, HSV will contest the promotion/relegation playoff.
   68. frannyzoo Posted: May 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM (#4704019)
The Europa and CL Qualifier positions stay the same, too. Gladbach is in Europe along with Wolfsburg; Leverkusen gets to play a tension-filled two legs next August or so.
   69. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: May 10, 2014 at 02:10 PM (#4704076)
Is it for sure that Lukaku won't be loaned to Everton again? Mourinho hasn't seemed enamoured of him.
   70. Spivey Posted: May 10, 2014 at 02:26 PM (#4704083)
If Chelsea buy one of these big time strikers like Costa, they'd probably sell Lukaku, right? I would think Everton would offer like 20 million or something for him.
   71. frannyzoo Posted: May 10, 2014 at 02:36 PM (#4704091)
Torino/Parma can be a really big game tomorrow if Inter slip (again) v. Lazio. I guess I'm an S.S. fan this afternoon, and will just have to take the moral/ethical shower after the game.
   72. Swedish Chef Posted: May 10, 2014 at 02:42 PM (#4704097)
I guess I'm an S.S. fan this afternoon, and will just have to take the moral/ethical shower after the game.

Di Canio welcomes you aboard the bandwagon.
   73. JuanGone..except1game Posted: May 10, 2014 at 03:06 PM (#4704121)
If Chelsea buy one of these big time strikers like Costa, they'd probably sell Lukaku, right? I would think Everton would offer like 20 million or something for him.

Chelsea fans are hoping that we keep Lukaku, buy Costa, sell/loan Torres and keep either Ba or Eto'o as the 3rd striker. The great thing about Costa is his versatility as he can play #10 or second striker if Mourinho plays both. Lukaku wish to play was always about his place in the Belgium side, so I think that he's likely to be more amenable to split/2nd choice duties next year. I know the narrative, but its been confirmed by him that he asked for the loan this year once Eto'o was signed.
   74. frannyzoo Posted: May 10, 2014 at 03:41 PM (#4704153)
Well, it certainly doesn't appear to be "Springtime for Lazio" this afternoon.
   75. DA Baracus Posted: May 10, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4704157)
Is it for sure that Lukaku won't be loaned to Everton again?

They're going to sell him.
   76. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 10, 2014 at 07:11 PM (#4704221)
If Mourinho didn't want Lukaku with the strikers he had this year, a year later with Costa probably isn't going to change his mind. For whatever reason, (and there are some legitimate concerns) Mourinho doesn't rate him. He sold De Bruyne and Mata at a decent profit and he'll probably do that with Lukaku. Lukaku needs and wants to play every day, and plenty of good clubs are willing to pay Chelsea and him to do that. I'd imagine he's going to trim the squad a bit. All those loanees are pissing teams off both in Holland and England. He'll do enough so to not jeopardize whatever they have with Vitesse.
   77. JuanGone..except1game Posted: May 10, 2014 at 08:34 PM (#4704256)
If Mourinho didn't want Lukaku with the strikers he had this year, a year later with Costa probably isn't going to change his mind.

You can ignore what actually happened if you would like, but not handing a 20 year old striker the clear #1 striker role for a side with CL ambition isn't really "not rating him". I'm a huge Lukaku fan, but if he wanted a spot he would have stayed and competed like everyone else.
   78. Swedish Chef Posted: May 11, 2014 at 01:45 AM (#4704308)
You can ignore what actually happened if you would like, but not handing a 20 year old striker the clear #1 striker role for a side with CL ambition isn't really "not rating him".

That is some splendid ass-covering and passive-aggressiveness from Mourinho, but allow me to suggest that there may be more to the story than his spin. I don't think Lukaku responded to this sniping, though.

Also, if not clearly preferring Lukaku to Eto'o and Ba isn't "not rating him", I don't know what would be.
   79. frannyzoo Posted: May 11, 2014 at 01:48 AM (#4704310)
I've been keeping quiet, as I detest the Hughton sacking, but...

WBA 0 - Stoke 7
Norwich City 12 - Arsenal 1

Gary Hooper scores nine goals, Stoke score more than they have in entire EPL seasons. Happiness reigns.

Happy Closing Day everyone...
   80. Spivey Posted: May 11, 2014 at 09:31 AM (#4704345)
I imagine City gets a results against West Ham, just like any sane human would. But when the won the title a couple of years ago, they needed a victory at home against a bottom side team (I think) and needed 2 goals in a ridiculous amount of stoppage time to do it.

Anything can happen in soccer.
   81. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM (#4704355)
I know this match has the least consequences, but Giggs has decided to play a midfield of Fletcher, Mata and Kagawa with Januzaj, Welbeck and RVP up front. Exciting for sure... I don't know what to watch either.

You can probably count on one hand the number of strikers who are 20-21 years old who can be a clear #1 striker for a team fighting for Premier and Champions League titles. I'm sure Mourinho thinks Lukaku might become that player but he isn't now. However, he obviously didn't think his options were good enough with Torres, Ba and Lukaku that he brought in another guy with a very big reputation. BTW Eto'o had 29 starts (9 subs), Torres 23 (23) and Ba 7 (25). Lukaku had 28 starts (2) for Everton. I think, at best, that if Lukaku stays he gets 20 starts for Chelsea.

That was crazy by Suarez! Too bad it didn't count and Newcastle takes the lead.
   82. Swedish Chef Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM (#4704357)
and Newcastle takes the lead.

Probably more correct to say that Liverpool gives away the lead to Newcastle.
   83. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM (#4704359)
Spurs look pretty good so far. Interesting from Sherwood to start Sandro after all their back and forth. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it's a nice gesture from him. Liverpool and Chelsea continuing their concession marches, I guess.
   84. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM (#4704361)
Meanwhile Torino continues their march to Europe and a finish ahead of Milan (nevermind that Italy is already in Europe). Ciro Immobile, of course, with the goal.
   85. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM (#4704364)
United down a goal so looking good for Spurs to go into Europa. It's funny that they are having the same exact season Toro is having--Europa League qualification and finishing above a mega bastard club for the first time in yonks--but I have very different feelings about their respective seasons. I know it's easy to bash Europa and the tv money isn't great, but those extra 6 home dates at a minimum really do make a difference on the bottom line. Spurs would miss out on about 15 million pounds altogether if they were to miss out which isn't insignificant.
   86. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM (#4704365)
2-0 Spurs. They are on the verge of running rampant on Villa now. Looked like an own goal on Vlaar.
   87. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM (#4704366)
Torino give up the equalizer. Rats.
   88. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM (#4704367)
Penalty to Spurs. Rampant-ness nearly achieved...
   89. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM (#4704369)
Achieved. Adebayor converts!
   90. Spivey Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM (#4704371)
That goal from Nasri may have just wrapped this up.
   91. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM (#4704373)
I know it's easy to bash Europa and the tv money isn't great, but those extra 6 home dates at a minimum really do make a difference on the bottom line. Spurs would miss out on about 15 million pounds altogether if they were to miss out which isn't insignificant.

At least next year the Europa winner gets a CL spot. I definitely want Spurs playing in Europa next year, and that seems pretty locked up right now.
   92. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4704375)
and that seems pretty locked up right now.

Yeah, I think we're ok. Transnistria here we come! So, Spurs will finish at 69 points which is only 2 fewer than last year and right in line with how they've done the last 5 years. Breaking through the ceiling is tough!
   93. Spivey Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM (#4704376)
Well, Man City is clearly the best team in the league. So it's hard to say they don't deserve it.
   94. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:45 AM (#4704378)
Man City are the best, no doubt. I just wish there was some romance about the "project" to make it more enjoyable. Toure is my player of the year, though, and, at times, I thought David Silva was the best thing on grass. He is a joy to watch.
   95. Spivey Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM (#4704379)
Suarez is the player of the year to me. I think people are overthinking it to not just hand him the award unanimously.
   96. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM (#4704380)
They just showed Salah's flop on the highlights. Womp womp.
   97. frannyzoo Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM (#4704383)
Bologna minutes from relegation after the late Catania goal. Too bad, it looks like the far lefty teams in Livorno and Bologna are doomed.

And the Torino/Parma draw hands Europe to Inter.
   98. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM (#4704387)
Steven A Smith was born to pitch for a jerky company.
   99. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4704395)
2-0 for City.
   100. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM (#4704396)
flip
Page 1 of 12 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.