Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

OT: The Soccer Thread May, 2014

Real and Atletico go two rounds. Can Liverpool come back? Will Arsenal finally win a trophy?

May 7: Man City v. Aston Villa, Valladolid v. Real Madrid, Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (1st legs)
May 8: Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (1st legs)
May 10: Inter v. Lazio
May 11: Liverpool v. Newcastle, Man City v. West Ham, Atletico v. Malaga, Celta de Vigo v. Real Madrid, Roma v. Juventus
May 13: Germany v. Poland
May 14: Sevilla v. Benfica, Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (2nd legs)
May 15: Copa Liberatadores Quarterfinals (2nd legs)
May 16: Barcelona v. Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid v. Espanyol
May 17: FA Cup Final (Arsenal v. Hull City), DFB Pokal (Dortmund v. Bayern)
May 24: Champions League Final (Real Madrid v. Atletico Madrid)
May 27: USA v. Azerbaijan, Scotland v. Nigeria
May 28: Denmark v. Sweden, Mexico v. Israel, Cameroon v. Paraguay, Honduras v. Turkey
May 29: Chile v. Egypt, Spain v. Bolivia
May 30: England v. Peru, Portugal v. Greece, Netherlands v. Ghana
May 31: Mexico v. Ecuador, France v. Paraguay

Howling John Shade Posted: May 07, 2014 at 03:40 AM | 1176 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > 
   901. Howling John Shade Posted: May 27, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4713991)
Flip
   902. Textbook Editor Posted: May 27, 2014 at 01:43 PM (#4713993)
Anyone who wants to buy shares of Eibar so they can stay up in La Liga can apparently do so here. Each share appears to be 50 euros. No idea what a share entitles you to...
   903. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: May 27, 2014 at 01:44 PM (#4713995)
If Klinsmann thinks that then he's off his rocker. That's not Donovan.

Wahl said the same thing in his piece you linked to earlier and I'm not sure how we can be confident of that. He's never been anything but a featured player for the USMNT or in MLS and the one place as an established pro he's been shuttled to the bench was Bayern Munich with Klinsmann in charge.

It is entirely possible that Donovan would have been teammate par excellence but I don't think we have any reason to believe that. I imagine if you asked people in 2003 "would Derek Jeter move off shortstop to accomodate a superior defensive shortstop and help the Yankees?" the answer would have been an enthusiastic "YES! He's all about winning." Donovan is presumably a proud guy who believes he is still the best (and he may be right when it comes to the USMNT). I don't think it is hard to envision a guy expecting to play regular minutes in Brazil if he went.
   904. Topher Posted: May 27, 2014 at 01:58 PM (#4714009)
Again, I'm not buying it but ...

The other thing to consider is one's role on the team and how willing one is to assume it. I don't think I'm ever going to be a fan of either, but I've grudgingly come to accept Jermaine Jones and Kyle Beckerman on the roster because each knows what he is supposed to do when he is on the pitch. I honestly have no idea what Landon is supposed to do these days, but it is quite possible that it doesn't sync with what Klinsmann wants for the team. For a long time didn't play through him because he's not in the center midfield but the offense was focused around getting him in scoring opportunities. That position has shifted so that it is now Dempsey's. And Klinsmann may have decided Landon can't play in a way that assimilates well with the other ten if he's not going to be the star of the team. I'm a Sporting KC fan and I love Graham Zusi, but I'm not at all convinced he's better than Donovan. But I do think Zusi tracks back better and little things like that might win the day.

I mean England has had a decade to figure out the Gerrard/Lampard thing and that hasn't exactly worked out.
   905. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 02:03 PM (#4714014)
I imagine if you asked people in 2003 "would Derek Jeter move off shortstop to accomodate a superior defensive shortstop and help the Yankees?" the answer would have been an enthusiastic "YES! He's all about winning."

People might have, but I wouldn't have. Jeter was in the prime of his career, Donovan isn't--and he knows it. I'll grant he might be pissed at Klinsmann, but a cancer like Nasri? I don't see it. From April:

"I think we’ve developed a really good relationship and I think we’re very honest with each other," Donovan said. "A few weeks ago against Mexico, he was able to communicate in a good way what he saw and what was going on. I don’t think that would happen if you hadn't built some trust over the years. The important thing for him and I is to continue to communicate and trust each other.

"I'm in a different place then I was years ago," Donovan said. "I can't always train the same way, but I do know how to play when it's time to play. It's making sure that we see things the same way. (Klinsmann) has been very adamant that if you don't train well and you’re not playing well, then you’re not going to play. That was understandable for that Mexico game.

"I think we've continued to progress in that way and I think we clearly both have the same goal in mind, which is to help this team get as far as possible. Whatever role I can assume to help that, I'm happy to do."
   906. Manny Coon Posted: May 27, 2014 at 02:09 PM (#4714017)
I don't think coming off the bench is any kind of problem for Donovan; Bradley used him off the bench in the 2011 Gold Cup and he never seemed to have any problem with it. He didn't start every single game his first time around at Everton either.
   907. Mefisto Posted: May 27, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4714031)
I honestly have no idea what Landon is supposed to do these days, but it is quite possible that it doesn't sync with what Klinsmann wants for the team. For a long time didn't play through him because he's not in the center midfield but the offense was focused around getting him in scoring opportunities. That position has shifted so that it is now Dempsey's. And Klinsmann may have decided Landon can't play in a way that assimilates well with the other ten if he's not going to be the star of the team.

I've seen this argument elsewhere. In a more elaborate form, it's that Klinsmann plans to play a 4-4-2 with a diamond in the midfield. In this system, Donovan doesn't fit all that well (though he still might be better than Wondo or Green). My problem with the argument is the assumption that the US will ONLY play that one formation. In lots of other formations, Donovan would be very useful.
   908. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 02:43 PM (#4714043)
Yeah the notion that they'll be playing a 4-4-2 diamond is based entirely off the Mexico game. Before that they were playing the usual 4-2-3-1.
   909. Mefisto Posted: May 27, 2014 at 03:03 PM (#4714053)
The one preview I read for tonight says to expect a 4-2-3-1.
   910. puck Posted: May 27, 2014 at 03:21 PM (#4714067)
The one preview I read for tonight says to expect a 4-2-3-1.

And perhaps players moving around the backline. Fabian Johnson said he had been practicing at right back.

Who are the key players on Azerbaijan? Will their shirts say "Atletico Madrid"?
   911. Topher Posted: May 27, 2014 at 03:30 PM (#4714073)
I did a Google image search and was very disappointed to see the national jersey doesn't say Land of Fire on it.
   912. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 03:50 PM (#4714085)
It's hard to tell who, if anyone, are Azerbaijan's key players, other than head coach Berti Vogts, who works for Klinsmann anyway.

Almost all of them (not just in this friendly, but in qualifiers) play in the Azerbaijan league. They have petro-dollars so it's relatively lucrative to stay at home (like Egypt). None of their players abroad are doing anything, except this guy in the Bundesliga II.

Ruslan Abishov was the Azerbaijan Player of the Year two years ago, and he's rooted to the bench at Rubin Kazan.
   913. AuntBea Posted: May 27, 2014 at 04:12 PM (#4714105)
FWIW, Green says no promises were made to him. I think, knowing as little as I do about the team and players, that I would have taken both Green and Donovan and left someone else off. The US needs everything to go right in order to advance, including a Donovan playing well, and a Green living up to some of his potential. Personally I'd take Donovan over Wondo, for example, despite the fact that they are completely different players. If Altidore can't go for some reason play a different formation. We know what Wondo can bring: steady, low-level ability. If the US had eleven players like him they would not completely embarrass themselves, but would almost certainly finish last in the group with 0 points.

I wouldn't punish Donovan for something that happened in the past. It's also pretty silly to think that his supposed lack of dedication in the past would rub off on the other players or whatever.
   914. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4714113)
Will their shirts say "Atletico Madrid"?

Heh.
I did a Google image search and was very disappointed to see the national jersey doesn't say Land of Fire on it.

This is a disappointment.
   915. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: May 27, 2014 at 04:40 PM (#4714123)
It's hard to tell who, if anyone, are Azerbaijan's key players, other than head coach Berti Vogts, who works for Klinsmann anyway.

Well I can't pass up the opportunity to link this 90's musical tribute to Berti Vogts. You won't understand much, but you should still definitely check t out.
   916. ursus arctos Posted: May 27, 2014 at 04:52 PM (#4714130)
Wow. Young Stefan Raab.

Years before he started race woks down luge tracks.
   917. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: May 27, 2014 at 05:25 PM (#4714151)
First, it annoys me the Nats play so many of their games with a 10 pm EST start time. Some of us work for a living Gulati! So I won't be watching the game tonight. Grrr.

Second, I'm pretty happy with Pochettino's hire and with the commitment of the 5 years. Pochettino is philosophically similar to AVB and so he should be able to make good use of a squad of players built for a high line/pressing game. That tells me Levy and Co. have a strong idea of what they want and aren't just spinning their wheels in search of a style. I think what separates AVB and Pochettino is how much more aggressive Soton played than Spurs. AVB seemed to want some kind of elegance to Spurs' play where Soton bring more of a street fight and pack mentality to their play. I expect Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho to thrive under the new system while I suspect Michael Dawson may be on his way out. There are, of course, all kinds of rumors linking Spurs to Soton players but I'm not really bothered about poaching their guys. They have good players but Spurs have plenty of good players for Pochettino to work with, as well, and getting into bidding wars with Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U won't be very productive.
   918. ursus arctos Posted: May 27, 2014 at 05:55 PM (#4714164)
Strongly agree about Pochettino. He also has more to prove than AVB. I'm particularly interested to see if he can resurrect his compatriot Lamela.
   919. madvillain Posted: May 27, 2014 at 06:01 PM (#4714166)
I'm perfectly happy with that start time, some of us live on the West Coast Shooty!

Klinsy is really talking up Altidore. I think with a midfield that can get him the ball at his feet facing goal he'll look quite a bit better. I'm pretty happy with how Jozy didn't completely crater during what was surely an incredibly frustrating season. If he doesn't get that goal waved off against Chelsea perhaps it changes the entire course of his season, but alas, that's not how it went. From what Klinsy is saying Jozy is mentally much stronger than he was. If that's the case I'd expect him to look good provided the US can get him the ball where he likes it -- and that's not as a hold up player, not primary anyways.

920. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 06:12 PM (#4714171)
   921. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 27, 2014 at 09:13 PM (#4714241)
US' lineup: Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Bradley, Jones, Zusi, Dempsey, Bedoya; Altidore

The standard 'tactics' caveats apply, but Ives says they'll be shaped like a 4-4-2 diamond. I think this looks more like the 4-2-3-1 they've used for the last few friendlies.
   922. Mefisto Posted: May 27, 2014 at 09:25 PM (#4714247)
It's odd to have two left-footed outside backs. What happened to Chandler, I wonder.
   923. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 09:30 PM (#4714251)
So of course they are playing a 4-4-2 diamond. Makes sense though, they haven't played it with Jones. And might not again if he can't stay on his leash.

And now I remember there was a photo of David Shaw speaking to the team a few days ago and in the background was the whiteboard with a 4-4-2 diamond.
   924. Mefisto Posted: May 27, 2014 at 09:45 PM (#4714253)
I'll be shocked if Jones has the discipline to hold that position.
   925. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 09:47 PM (#4714255)
AVB seemed to want some kind of elegance to Spurs' play

I thought of a dumpster fire's worth of adjectives to describe watching Spurs play under AVB the last two years, but elegant was sure never one of them.

I suspect Michael Dawson may be on his way out.

He'd better be; anyone wanting to play a pressing/high-line style and willingly, willfully plans on playing Michael Dawson ... deserves what they got comin'.
   926. Topher Posted: May 27, 2014 at 09:48 PM (#4714256)
It's odd to have two left-footed outside backs. What happened to Chandler, I wonder.

Just guessing on my part, but I would imagine he's having second thoughts about this World Cup thing. He probably is just now realizing that if you include the training camp, he'd have to commit almost two months to the US before he'd be able to leave Brazil. That might be a bridge too far for him.

I'm (mostly) kidding.
   927. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM (#4714261)
And Dempsey is hurt.

Klinsmann said it would take an injury to a specific player for hi to consider recalling Donovan. Lame.
   928. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM (#4714262)
So anyone know if ESPN3/WatchESPN has the normal, TV broadcast of the game available? I don't want to watch their shitty fan cams or "tactical" cams.

EDIT: Nevermind.
   929. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM (#4714263)
Why Wondo instead of Johannsson?

I was expecting the Azeri national anthem to be some pop song commissioned by the dictator.
   930. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:15 PM (#4714265)
And Zusi does what he's supposed to! Wondo not so much.
   931. AuntBea Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:16 PM (#4714266)
If Wondo can't convert those he;s less than useless. That's pretty much his entire skill set.
   932. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM (#4714267)
This has got to be the first international match where both teams have players from the German 4th division.
   933. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:18 PM (#4714269)
Good to see the D is in WC form already ...
   934. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:20 PM (#4714271)
We're less than ten minutes in and Jones is already being yelled at for his positioning.
   935. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM (#4714273)
I know its the first of a couple of friendlies and its early... but wow the US looks like crap against a bad team.
   936. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM (#4714277)
No Twellman, those were poor shots, not bad luck.
   937. Baldrick Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM (#4714278)
First shot was bad. Second was alright. Much more contested, harder to direct it away from the keeper. Still, this team is not very good. One of those needed to go in.
   938. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM (#4714280)
Besler and Cameron are really lacking the touch to finish these passes to Azerbaijan.
   939. AuntBea Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM (#4714281)
Who's idea was it to play a night game at Candlestick?

Frankly, they are lucky the weather is as good as it is there right now, wind and all.
   940. AuntBea Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM (#4714283)
Not impressed with the ref so far. Not sure about that call, and he missed at least two earlier.
   941. Mefisto Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4714284)
Because the weather at the Stick is so similar to what they'll face in Brazil.
   942. Baldrick Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM (#4714286)
Who's idea was it to play a night game at Candlestick?

Frankly, they are lucky the weather is as good as it is there right now, wind and all.

It's a beautiful, beautiful day in the East Bay.

My friend had an extra ticket and I almost went, but I've got too much to get done tonight. I'm sad to not be there in person, but pretty happy at the difference in the weather.
   943. AuntBea Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM (#4714287)
I grew up in the fog. I can't tell you how many days it was a beautiful, beautiful day in the mission (let alone the East Bay), while visibility in my neighborhood was 100 feet.
   944. Baldrick Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM (#4714289)
Over/under on number of goals the US scores in the World Cup: 0.5
   945. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM (#4714290)
Wondo is a grizzled veteran... how does he not have any composure? He had no angle and had a bit of time and he hits it straight into the side netting without even looking up.
   946. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM (#4714291)
Over/under on number of goals the US scores in the World Cup: 0.5

I'll go over but it will be from a set piece. They've been pretty inept at scoring from open play under Klinsmann.
   947. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM (#4714295)
The gulf of class between Bradley and every other outfield player is pretty stark. I guess no Dempsey makes it even more obvious. Klinsmann should figure out a way to give him the Pirlo or Riquelme treatment - players should be looking for him every time to give him the ball. I know he doesn't have the passing range of those two players but I wince every time someone else tries to do something with the ball at his feet.
   948. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: May 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM (#4714296)
Pretty ugly defending on that corner

edit: and the end of a pretty ugly half.
   949. Mefisto Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM (#4714311)
Zusi is a good player, and I'm sure much better than Donovan when it comes to tracking back, but there were several plays in the first half where IMO Donovan would have done much better going forward,
   950. madvillain Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM (#4714315)

Zusi is a good player, and I'm sure much better than Donovan when it comes to tracking back, but there were several plays in the first half where IMO Donovan would have done much better going forward,

Well, an in shape, motivated Landon for sure. I just don't think Klinsman could look the team in the eye if he had taken Landon, given how often he's stressed commitment and all that. I mean, he left Landon out to try in the gold cub and landon seemingly responded but there is quite a bit of talk that not only was landon not in good shape for the camp, he wasn't in any sort of shape.

On the other hand, Chandler, who has rarely if ever stepped out of his comfort zone on the continent to play in a game for the US makes the team, so it's a bit odd.

I'm firmly in the coaching camp that says not only do you not treat everyone the same, you treat everyone as differently as you need to in order to get the best out of them. If Landon needed a little more time, maybe he should have been given it. But Klinsy signed up for this job and he knows he'll have to deal with poor performances. As a US fan, I can only hope it's the right decision.
   951. madvillain Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:21 PM (#4714317)
god we lack technical and instinctual players. SHOOT THE BALL
   952. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM (#4714318)
The US is deeply uninspiring right now. They're being played level by friggin Azerbaijan, and it's not like Azerbaijan is playing scared and dropping deep.

KLINSMANN OUT!
   953. Baldrick Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM (#4714321)
The commentators are talking about Azerbaijan like they've parked the bus. They haven't. They've parked a scooter and are scurrying around it frantically while the US gives the ball away in midfield.
   954. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM (#4714322)
Well, an in shape, motivated Landon for sure. I just don't think Klinsman could look the team in the eye if he had taken Landon, given how often he's stressed commitment and all that.

Donovan reportedly passed Klinsmann's fitness "beep test" with flying colors and Chandler is playing. And now Klinsmann's got a very narrow set of parameters for Donovan to rejoin he team. I fully admit I'm biased but it sure seems to me that Donovan isn't on the team because Klinsmann doesn't like him.
   955. madvillain Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM (#4714323)
lotta open space out there on both sides.
   956. ursus arctos Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM (#4714324)
Unfortunately, I think that 932 is wrong.

The Azeris played Luxembourg twice in the World Cup qualifiers, and there are two Regionaliga players on the Luxembourgeois national team.

Funny game, football.

957. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:27 PM (#4714326)
This is quite the snoozefest. Azerbaijan even look like a bunch of default computer-controlled opponents in their generic all-blue uniforms.

Bradley could have scored there if he hadn't kicked it 25 feet over the bar.
   958. madvillain Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:27 PM (#4714327)
Donovan reportedly passed Klinsmann's fitness "beep test" with flying colors and Chandler is playing. And now Klinsmann's got a very narrow set of parameters for Donovan to rejoin he team. I fully admit I'm biased but it sure seems to me that Donovan isn't on the team because Klinsmann doesn't like him.

yea you could be right. The whole "you're playing 90 minutes) in the Gold Cup thing was odd, like it was some sort of penance. If he wasn't out of shape I don't see any reason you don't take him. You can't convince me someone like Brad Evans or Wondo brings more to the table.
   959. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4714333)
Altidore could have scored there if he hadn't kicked it 25 feet over the bar.
   960. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4714334)
Not terrible work by Altidore to set up the chance, but holy #### he was horrible there.
   961. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4714335)
Is this right? Chandler is playing left back but is right-footed. Johnson is playing right back but is left-footed. I understand that Johnson plays RB for Hoffenheim - does Chandler play LB for his club team?

Jozy has looked lively today. Obviously not really threatening the goal - but at least he looks engaged.
   962. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4714336)
You can't convince me someone like Brad Evans or Wondo brings more to the table.

No argument here. I'd drop Davis* or Green in a heartbeat for Donovan and make him a super sub, where any fitness concerns are null and his positional versatility is exactly what you want.

*i get that an argument for taking Davis is set pieces but they had a free kick on the left and he didn't take it.
   963. Baldrick Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM (#4714338)
I like that Jozy attempted that shot. I wish he would have taken a better shot, but whatever. Shoot, my friend. Shoot.
   964. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM (#4714339)
Is this right? Chandler is playing left back but is right-footed. Johnson is playing right back but is left-footed.

Both are right footed.
   965. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:35 PM (#4714342)
Unfortunately, I think that 932 is wrong.

The Azeris played Luxembourg twice in the World Cup qualifiers, and there are two Regionaliga players on the Luxembourgeois national team.

Funny game, football.

Good catch.
   966. madvillain Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:36 PM (#4714343)
somebody get twellman a couple of coffee, or three, lively up dude.
   967. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:39 PM (#4714345)
Dudes, the goal is like 15 yards lower.
   968. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:39 PM (#4714346)
Chandler probably couldn't have scored there, but he kicked it 25 feet over the bar anyway.
   969. Mefisto Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:41 PM (#4714347)
I'm pretty sure Johnson is left footed.
   970. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM (#4714349)
Finally
   971. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM (#4714351)
####### finally. Miiiiiiix!
   972. Baldrick Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM (#4714353)
FINALLY. Good lord that took forever.
   973. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM (#4714354)
MIX ... AH-AH ... HE'LL SAVE EVERYONE OF US!!!
   974. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM (#4714355)
Brad Davis set piece!
   975. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM (#4714356)
Dudes, the goal is like 15 yards lower.

Maybe they're trying to pass it to Dwight Clark.
   976. I am going to be Frank Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM (#4714357)
Diskerud tried to give the keeper a chance to save it. Set pieces - maybe the US should just go full Stoke.
   977. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:45 PM (#4714359)
Yedlin just checked the Azeri LB into the boards. He's one of their players from the Turkish premier league, too! and he was laying there on his back for ten seconds after the collision. Impressive physicality.

Hey, and #10 scored!
   978. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:46 PM (#4714361)
Mix has made this team look so much more dangerous in just 10 minutes.
   979. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:47 PM (#4714362)
I'm pretty sure Johnson is left footed.

He uses both but he is naturally right footed. He played a majority of his games this season for club on the right side.
   980. Langer Monk Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM (#4714363)
I like Mix. King of the impossible.

Still don't like Jones, though.
   981. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM (#4714365)
Aliyev (not the president of Azerbaijan, the other one) levels Yedlin the traditional way by taking out his legs. Then to apologize he pats the writhing Yedlin on the head several times.

Would Diskerud be a starter for Norway if they'd gotten to him first? It's not like that country has a bunch of worldbeaters right now.
   982. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM (#4714366)
JOHANSSON!
   983. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM (#4714368)
Brad Davis corner!

Landon who?
   984. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM (#4714369)
That looked easy.
   985. Baldrick Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM (#4714370)
Well, if Portugal, Germany, and Ghana all just completely give up on the idea of defending...we can score from set pieces!
   986. AuntBea Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM (#4714371)
Johansson scored the goal that Wondo could not. Actually, it was a harder and better goal than Wondo's would have been.
   987. ursus arctos Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM (#4714373)
Interesting question about Diskerud.

Norway got tonked 4-0 by France today. I would think that they would give him a serious look.
   988. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM (#4714375)
I don't care that Mix gives very little on defense, every time I've seen him on the USMNT he seems to provide an offensive spark that this team desperately needs and rarely manifests.
   989. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM (#4714379)
BTW, why the #### are we playing Azerbaijan less than three weeks before the start of the World Cup? They're no better than Honduras or Costa Rica. Why aren't we playing a better class of opponent, especially given Klinsmann's exhortations that the USMNT needs to measure itself against the giants?
   990. DA Baracus Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM (#4714381)
Yeah Mix has vision and passing ability that few on the team have. It would have been nice if he came over to MLS. Door is still wide open.
   991. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:58 PM (#4714382)
BTW, why the #### are we playing Azerbaijan less than three weeks before the start of the World Cup? They're no better than Honduras or Costa Rica. Why aren't we playing a better class of opponent, especially given Klinsmann's exhortations that the USMNT needs to measure itself against the giants?

Azerbaijan head coach is a friend of Klinsmann's.
   992. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4714383)
Apparently Azerbaijan is the poor man's Turkey, which in turn is the poor man's Germany. We play Turkey next.

I'd rather see the poor man's Ghana (Burkina Faso?), personally.
   993. Langer Monk Posted: May 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM (#4714384)
Can Mix play the top of the diamond?
   994. DA Baracus Posted: May 28, 2014 at 12:02 AM (#4714388)
BTW, why the #### are we playing Azerbaijan less than three weeks before the start of the World Cup?

Because they played Portugal in WC qualifying, Germany in Euro 2012 qualifying and Vogts used to be Klinsmann's coach (and starting tomorrow will be a scout for the US).
   995. Baldrick Posted: May 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM (#4714389)

I don't mind them playing a weak team as their first warmup. This one is more to get things rolling than to really test them. The other two games are against reasonably strong competition. It would have been nice if the opposition was a little more committed to the idea that soccer involves contesting the midfield, but whatever.
   996. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM (#4714391)
DOS A CERO!

Johannson has to start over Wondo, Mix deserves to get a longer look too. Jozy had some good moments, but had nothing when it came to finishing.
   997. Mefisto Posted: May 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM (#4714392)
The Azer coach is not only Klinsmann's friend, he's becoming Klinsmann's assistant tomorrow. I assume there was a deal there.
   998. DA Baracus Posted: May 28, 2014 at 12:05 AM (#4714397)
I'm not going to get too worked up over a friendly but that was thoroughly uninspiring.
   999. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: May 28, 2014 at 12:05 AM (#4714398)
Because they played Portgual in WC qualifying, Germany in Euro 2012 qualifying and Vogts used to be Klinsmann's coach (and starting tomorrow will be a scout for the US).

Yeah, I heard that right after I asked the same question. That makes a whole lot more sense to me now.
   1000. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: May 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM (#4714400)
Flip
Page 10 of 12 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.