Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, November 03, 2012

OT: The Soccer Thread: November 2012

Yeah, yeah, it’s late.

RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 03, 2012 at 07:10 PM | 370 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   101. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM (#4300009)
Flip.
   102. DA Baracus Posted: November 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM (#4300014)
Jozy has been called back to the USMNT.

His goal yesterday was pretty sweet.
   103. Mattbert Posted: November 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM (#4300033)
Caulker at fault for both goals, I have to say. Rather uneven game from him, as he defended well in patches but was caught napping off a throw-in for City's first and then didn't stick with Dzeko's run for the second. Simple run and scooped ball over the top allows City to score the winner with 2v5 in that area. Scandalous.

Inability to take care of the ball in midfield is the main problem right now. Nobody in the middle of the park will take a man on and try to dribble through, not Thud, not Sandro, not Dempsey. Desperately missing a fit Dembele at the moment. Until he's ready, I would play Carroll who at least puts himself about and finds space. Dempsey worked reasonably hard today, but just doesn't have it together and has been a passenger in every game he's played.

Brilliant shift from Adebayor. Hands down MOTM from Tottenham's point of view. More please.
   104. Tike Redman's Shattered Dreams Posted: November 11, 2012 at 01:07 PM (#4300038)
Caulker at fault for both goals, I have to say. Rather uneven game from him, as he defended well in patches but was caught napping off a throw-in for City's first and then didn't stick with Dzeko's run for the second. Simple run and scooped ball over the top allows City to score the winner with 2v5 in that area. Scandalous.

I love Caulker and thought he was great for 90% of the game, but I have to agree with all of this. On the second goal in particular Caulker was completely caught off balance by a pass that was pretty but definitely foreseeable for a good CB.
   105. Swedish Chef Posted: November 11, 2012 at 02:13 PM (#4300069)
Apparently St. Johnstone is better than Barcelona.
   106. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 11, 2012 at 02:50 PM (#4300092)
Well, naturally
   107. puck Posted: November 12, 2012 at 01:12 AM (#4300407)
Inability to take care of the ball in midfield is the main problem right now. Nobody in the middle of the park will take a man on and try to dribble through, not Thud, not Sandro, not Dempsey. Desperately missing a fit Dembele at the moment.

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I don't follow Spurs as much as many on this thread). How much of their problems in the midfield are related to the change in managers and strategies? They seemed more of a direct or quick-striking team under Redknapp.

108. puck Posted: November 12, 2012 at 01:16 AM (#4300410)
Not sure if this was posted: David Beckham, Russell Brand, and "Unidentified Fan" (a/k/a Robbie Keane) at Lakers game.

One thing about Keane in MLS: he still plays with a lot of intensity and has really helped LA. He and Donovan combined really well again tonight.
   109. DA Baracus Posted: November 12, 2012 at 01:30 AM (#4300416)
Yeah, you can see that Keane and Donovan are on another level compared to the rest of the league. There's been more than a handful of games the past year and half where it's just not fair, especially when you add in Beckham and Juninho trailing the play or Magee streaking in from the flank.

Mike Magee is a fun player to watch. I'd like to see him get a look in the January USMNT camp. He can play a couple of roles (including GK!) and plays hard and smart. He's not more than a bench player for the Gold Cup but you need role players with a head on them and a good work ethic. Magee can be that guy.
   110. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 12, 2012 at 01:45 AM (#4300420)
Apparently St. Johnstone is better than Barcelona.

They're ahead of Barcelona in average height, alcohol tolerance, number of players named "Liam", all kinds of statistics.
   111. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: November 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM (#4300468)

Brilliant shift from Adebayor. Hands down MOTM from Tottenham's point of view. More please.

At City, Adebayor worked hard and played well for his first few games. Then just the games vs Arsenal. Then not at all. Seems like he's found the same pattern at Spurs.
   112. Mattbert Posted: November 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM (#4300476)
Sorry if this is a dumb question (I don't follow Spurs as much as many on this thread). How much of their problems in the midfield are related to the change in managers and strategies? They seemed more of a direct or quick-striking team under Redknapp.

I think they'd be having just as much trouble, and probably more, under Redknapp with the same personnel. Modric was the guy who made Harry's 4-4-1-1 work. He's gone. So even if Harry hadn't been sacked, I think he would have been forced to adapt somewhat.

Spurs are still a direct, counter-attacking team really. They're just rubbish at it right now because they're missing their most direct midfielder (Dembele, who's as critical to the current iteration of Spurs as Modric was to the last one) and Dempsey and Sigurdsson are, apparently, terrible. My biggest criticism of Villas-Boas so far, aside from persisting with Friedel, is not giving Tom Carroll a shot in league games. He would seem to suit AVB's preferred style of play so much better than Dempsey.
   113. Mattbert Posted: November 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM (#4300480)
At City, Adebayor worked hard and played well for his first few games. Then just the games vs Arsenal. Then not at all. Seems like he's found the same pattern at Spurs.

I don't know where you're getting this. Adebayor was pretty uniformly excellent throughout last season. He had two or three poor games that I can remember, but there was never a prolonged slump or evidence of disinterest.

Yesterday was his first start in the league this season, after recovering from various niggles. We'll see if the energy and dynamism he showed against City and Maribor hold up in the future. On the balance of his Tottenham career thusfar, I see no reason to believe they won't. Especially with Arsenal up next. Ha!
   114. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: November 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM (#4300522)

Mattbert - it's true that Adebayor was very good for most of his first season at Spurs. I just don't think he's a player you can count on to do the business over a prolonged period of time, as Arsenal and City learned. He could certainly prove me wrong this year.

As for City, I'm just happy we have Silva back. He's what makes us go.
   115. Mattbert Posted: November 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM (#4300539)
I think Adebayor is one of those many footballers who needs to be The Man and needs to feel loved to be at his best. When he's a sub or otherwise not obviously one of the first names on the team sheet for big games, he pouts and loses motivation. Spurs are nowhere near good enough for him not to be the main man up front right now, so we'll see.

I should also correct something I got wrong in #103. City's first goal came from a counter-attack, not a throw-in. There was a glorious scoring chance they created from a throw-in deep in Tottenham's half, but I remember now that they failed to convert it. Aguero with a left-footed shot that went just wide of the far post, so similar to the goal. Regardless, Caulker defended Aguero poorly both times!
   116. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: November 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM (#4300547)

I think Adebayor is one of those many footballers who needs to be The Man and needs to feel loved to be at his best.

Yeah, this is totally right.
   117. Textbook Editor Posted: November 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM (#4302024)
Hopefully that MK Dons v Wimbeldon FA Cup match will be on TV stateside; that one could be fun.
   118. puck Posted: November 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM (#4302040)
Hopefully that MK Dons v Wimbeldon FA Cup match will be on TV stateside; that one could be fun.

That's the draw? Wow. How do the English stations decide the tv broadcast? I'm sure if they show it, FSC will show it.

Wimbeldon didn't look that good in the 1st round replay; their opponent was down a man for over 80 minutes. But no doubt they'll be up for this one.
   119. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM (#4302050)
As I understand it every AFC Wimbledon fan spends every waking minute reveling in their moral high ground and coming up with ways to passive-aggressively take shots at MK Dons and win sympathy for the ultimate treachery that they have suffered. They've been planning for this precise scenario for years, and the plan is to take the ultimate passive-aggressive shot at MK Dons by not showing up for the game. Therefore it will just be an awkward spectacle of annoyingness. The players themselves of course don't really care.
   120. puck Posted: November 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4302078)
Will they be hoping for a draw and the replay in their own park? Or just not showing up?
   121. Richard Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM (#4302111)
Will they be hoping for a draw and the replay in their own park? Or just not showing up?

The majority view seems to be that they won't show up for the game, or a replay if one takes place.

Crispix - most games at MK Dons are an annoying spectacle, with the ground usually one thirds full at best, and many of those who are there being let in for free. The whole thing was a disgrace and remains one.
   122. Mattbert Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM (#4302126)
In an astonishing(ly boring) spectacle of BTF Soccer fratricide, the mighty Hamburg was held to a turgid 0-0 draw by a plucky, determined, and poopy-headed Freiburg. HSV stays one point ahead of Freiburg with that result.
   123. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM (#4302274)
The U.S. win a free kick and I briefly turn away. A second later Russia score.
   124. DA Baracus Posted: November 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM (#4302305)
I thought this game was later in the day. I woke up and missed the goal, which is for the better.

This team plays dumb, and it starts at the top with Klinsmann. Another lineup with 3 defensive midfielders. This game doesn't count, experiment a little.
   125. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM (#4302357)
I woke up and missed the goal, which is for the better.

I don't know if you've seen a replay of what happened, but it was so colossally dumb that yes, it's for the better.
   126. DA Baracus Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4302364)
I saw a replay. I do wonder if Danny Williams not speaking English played a part.
   127. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM (#4302381)
Well, that touch by Altidore isn't going to convince Klinsmann of anything.
   128. DA Baracus Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM (#4302396)
Great sequence, even better goal.
   129. DA Baracus Posted: November 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM (#4302418)
And a fantastic goal by Diskerud to snatch a draw.
   130. Mefisto Posted: November 14, 2012 at 02:12 PM (#4302524)
Terrible play all around by Williams and Goodson today. Howard great as usual.
   131. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 14, 2012 at 02:37 PM (#4302550)
Johnson looked good also, at least going forward.
   132. DA Baracus Posted: November 14, 2012 at 02:46 PM (#4302562)
Can not understand why Bradley-Jones-Williams started as a trio again. We know what they can do, this was the game to start Kljestan. The team is clearly better going forward with him out there. There was nothing to lose and a new dimension to gain.
   133. Mefisto Posted: November 14, 2012 at 02:54 PM (#4302569)
I'm not a Kljestan fan, but hasn't he had lots of chances over the years? I've yet to see him play well. Besides, his role at Anderlecht is very different from that of Williams or Jones. Given how bad Williams was today, it might improve the team to change the formation and give minutes to a more offense-minded player. I'm not sure that'd be Kljestan, though.
   134. DA Baracus Posted: November 14, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4302579)
He's played I think 3 games under Klinsmann, one of them a late injury replacement (Italy), and started none of them. He got playing time under Bradley but by all accounts he's significantly progressed as a player since then. Jones does f'n nothing out there, a friendly is the time to try something different. Let's find out if Kljestan is ineffective rather than assume that he is.
   135. Mefisto Posted: November 14, 2012 at 03:47 PM (#4302641)
I'd have no real problem giving him a chance or two as a replacement for Jones.
   136. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: November 14, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4302726)
Williams was awful but I still like him. Jones needs to be put out to pasture though.

I thought Gatt (not Gott!) looked pretty solid as a first cap.

Lots of talk about the hexagonal schedule, are we think 4 points in those first four games is a satisfactory start or am I aiming to low? We CAN do more but I'm trying to get myself set for what is likely to be a rough start to the qualification run with three road games in the first four.
   137. Mattbert Posted: November 14, 2012 at 05:26 PM (#4302806)
The Zlatan Show is in full outrageously talented flight right now.

Four goals on the evening. The fourth a bicycle kick from at least 30 yards out.
   138. Padgett Posted: November 14, 2012 at 05:34 PM (#4302815)
   139. puck Posted: November 15, 2012 at 01:53 AM (#4303144)
I've not seen nearly enough of Schalke to have any idea but Jones must be better for them than with the US, right? Maybe he just doesn't fit with the scheme or other players. Sort of like what seems to be Altidore's predicament.

Altidore didn't seem to have a horrible game, but pretty funny the other two guys' hold up plays turn into goals and his nice cutback gets launched way over the goal.

Bradley was impressive tonight. He had a few very good long passes in addition to that nice volley.
   140. ursus arctos Posted: November 15, 2012 at 06:58 PM (#4303723)
Jones hasn't been an ever-present for Schalke.

He's started about two-thirds of their games, and been subbed off in half of those.

He also has a below-average player rating from kicker (with some particularly bad ratings before games for which he was dropped).

He was a local youth sensation when we lived in Frankfurt, and has always been seen as a talented guy who often failed to produce the goods.
   141. Mefisto Posted: November 15, 2012 at 07:10 PM (#4303730)
I think Klinsmann likes Jones because he offers two things: some defensive spine for a weak back line; and energy going forward. I think Klinsmann is reluctant to put a distributor in to replace Jones because he believes that we don't have anyone to protect the back line and distribute (Torres, anyone?). Yet he doesn't want to replace him with a guy like Edu because then he might lose the transition game. Personally, I'd try letting Bradley handle the transition and use a couple of destroyers behind him, but the problem is the back line, not the midfield per se.
   142. DA Baracus Posted: November 15, 2012 at 07:49 PM (#4303757)
Jones hasn't been an ever-present for Schalke.

He's far from their best player but he starts in Champions League. That's a pretty good barometer of his role on the team.
   143. ursus arctos Posted: November 15, 2012 at 08:14 PM (#4303788)
Well, he's started two of their three games so far (he came on at half-time against Arsenal away and was subbed off against Olympiakos).

My point was that it isn't as if he's been amazing for Schalke and crap for the USMNT.
   144. Spivey Posted: November 15, 2012 at 09:29 PM (#4303845)
Well, he has been crap for the USMNT.

I just don't see any real skill of his. Yeah he's big and strong, but in the few games I've seen him play, I don't see him as an enforcer or a good defender. Edu at least seems like a decent defender. Bradley has to be our box to box player that is asked to put in incredible shifts.

Fabian Johnson has played well when I've seen him.

Is it just me or is Bocanegra seriously flirting with being washed up? I don't really see how he's going to be - or at least should be - a starter in the World Cup. The fact that he didn't seem to get a better offer than a second tier SPL team is pretty indicative of what teams think about him.
   145. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM (#4303963)
Bocanegra is gettig tbere but i think he is probably still the best choice for his role on this team. I think that while 2011 and 2012 were more about discovery 2013 is more about results. The US needs to qualify and while they are favored we are far from a lock. I'd rather win with Boca in 2013 and have to figure out 2014 when the time comes. What he lacks in physical tools I think he makes up in intelligence and having someone who is unlikely to mke stupid plays out there is useful to counteract some of the youth in defensive roles.

If Cameron, Gonzalez or Goodson or others can play their way in front of him so be it but I don't think Preparing for the future is the job of next twelve months.
   146. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: November 17, 2012 at 08:06 AM (#4304842)
I'm not normally much for ESPN Soccernet, but I thought this article was really interesting.
   147. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: November 17, 2012 at 09:05 AM (#4304847)
Adebayor with a fairly busy first 17 minutes, a goal now a red card. Lennon pulling that shot wide is huge right now. Even at ten men a 2-0 lead would be strong, I have to think that Arsenal can turn this around at 0-1 but up a man for 75 minutes,
   148. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 17, 2012 at 09:05 AM (#4304848)
Adebayor, you stupid git.
   149. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 17, 2012 at 09:09 AM (#4304849)
That didn't take very long.
   150. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 17, 2012 at 09:10 AM (#4304850)
Meat Sack!
   151. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: November 17, 2012 at 09:29 AM (#4304854)
The galling thing about this for Tottenham is that until the red card they were clearly the better team by a lot.
   152. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM (#4304863)
Well, that's that.
   153. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM (#4304900)
Well, that's that.
Said Mark Hughes, about his tenure at QPR
   154. DA Baracus Posted: November 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4304907)
So when does AVB get fired?
   155. Mattbert Posted: November 17, 2012 at 02:27 PM (#4304948)
Sacking AVB would be madness. He'll get at least the full season unless the team just up and quits on him like Chelsea did. There's been no sign of that at all at Tottenham.

Can't really fault him for the result today, as Spurs were well on top before Adebayor got himself run and his tactical switch at halftime at least gave his team a fighting chance. Still missing several key players as well. And despite this bad run of results lately, Tottenham's still well within touching distance of the top four. AVB shouldn't be anywhere near the hotseat.
   156. DA Baracus Posted: November 17, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4304949)
I was half joking.

Can't really fault him for the result today

Michael Cox did:

It feels wrong to concentrate on the decisions of the manager who lost 5-2, but every step of the way it was Villas-Boas’ choices that dictated the shape of the game.
   157. The Voice of America Posted: November 17, 2012 at 05:49 PM (#4305101)
I don't see where he blames AVB for the loss in that article.
   158. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: November 17, 2012 at 06:02 PM (#4305119)
For anyone that's purchased Football Manager '13, can someone recommend a quality pack or site for roster updates & kit/badge/player/league logo pics? I've done an initial search on the FM forums but haven't found anything.
   159. Mattbert Posted: November 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM (#4305244)
In no way does Cox fault AVB for the loss in his match analysis. Here's the rest of that quote:
It feels wrong to concentrate on the decisions of the manager who lost 5-2, but every step of the way it was Villas-Boas’ choices that dictated the shape of the game. The two-man strikeforce was a surprise, the continued high line with a man less was a brave move, then the switch to a three-man backline was fascinating – if ultimately futile.
What he's saying there is not that AVB was responsible for the loss, but rather pointing out that it's odd that the manager who was on the wrong end of a 3-goal loss was the defining tactical force of the game. Normally we'd be talking about the winning manager's moves when his team wins 5-2.
   160. CWS Keith plans to boo your show at the Apollo Posted: November 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM (#4305854)
The R-squared figure for Spurs' level of play and this thread's posts has to be close to 1. Say goodnight if they ever get relegated...

In Serie A hilarity this weekend, Sampdoria's ultras demanded and received an audience with the coach and team captain prior to yesterday's derby ('We will try harder; in exchange, you must continue to support us. Deal.'), while Juventus performed some excellent trolling on Inter:

No Serie A weekend would be complete without another discourse on refereeing mistakes, and this week's scandal relates to Inter's 2-2 draw against Cagliari. Andrea Stramaccioni was sent off for his protests after seeing the Nerazzurri denied a penalty when Andrea Ranocchia was brought down right on the edge of the area by Davide Astori in injury time, and the club's owner Massimo Moratti addressed the press at full-time. "The referee affected the result and on our part – mine in particular – there is some resentment," he said. "For the third game in a row there have been refereeing oversights, always against us."

If some of his words hinted at conspiracy, he was quick to shoot down that hypothesis when asked point-blank if he thought that anything more sinister lay behind these mistakes. "I don't see any design, I see incompetence," he said. "If there was a plot then that would be very serious, but I hope there isn't one."

Fanning the flames further was the subsequent response from Juventus. Under the headline "No comment", the club published on its website a link to a PDF file of the Italian Football Federation prosecutor Stefano Palazzi's 2011 ruling against Inter – in which he said that the club had been guilty of sporting fraud linked to the Calciopoli scandal, but could not be punished due to the statute of limitations.

And Fiorentina continues to win. The main tactics guy at The Tompkins Times (Liverpool fan-site of sorts) has been raving about Montella and kind-of using him as a point of comparison for Rodgers. In any case, they're now in a Champions League spot and have won the past few weeks without Jovetic.
   161. zack Posted: November 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4305864)
I'm pro pretty much anything that errs on the side of eliminating dirty play, but was anyone else blown away that Hangeland got straight red for that tackle?
   162. Mefisto Posted: November 19, 2012 at 01:10 PM (#4305924)
Not me. I like Hangeland; he's the antithesis of a dirty player (like, say, Cattermole). But that was a bad tackle and I wasn't surprised to see him go.
   163. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: November 19, 2012 at 02:16 PM (#4305995)
Anyone watch the MLS semi last night? Seattle dug their own grave with the 0-3 hole but they were fantastic last night. They totally dominated play to get to 2-3 and the penalty was highly unfair in my view considering that a similar play had occurred in the first half and wasn't given.

Great crowd and until the PK a terrific game. It really seemed not just likely but inevitable that Seattle would get the equalizer up to that point.
   164. zack Posted: November 19, 2012 at 02:57 PM (#4306044)
Not me. I like Hangeland; he's the antithesis of a dirty player (like, say, Cattermole). But that was a bad tackle and I wasn't surprised to see him go.

Honest question, then, what about the play is dirty? It's not late, it's not from behind. He goes in both feet, but the feet are down, his momentum is to the side of Cattermole so if he was late he's not gonna stab him. Worst case scenario is what happens, Cattermole gets tripped, which is nothing. He's not the last man because he's in front, right? Cattermole might even have had time just to leap it if the incentives went that way.
   165. Mefisto Posted: November 19, 2012 at 03:36 PM (#4306096)
JMHO, but it was two-footed and his studs were up. No, his foot wasn't raised, but it was still dangerous. And IMO, he was pretty much straight on to Cattermole; just very slightly to the side.

Believe me, I was not happy about the call. I root for Fulham. I like Hangeland. I detest Cattermole. But I thought it was red.

Anyone watch the MLS semi last night? Seattle dug their own grave with the 0-3 hole but they were fantastic last night.

God, that was painful to watch. Galaxy were awful, "awful" being the best word I can find but not really adequate to express the true nature of their play. Seattle probably deserved at least a 3d goal.
   166. Mattbert Posted: November 19, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4306154)
A bit unlucky for Hangeland, as he got there first and won the ball cleanly. In a bygone era, that challenge probably doesn't even draw a whistle, let alone a card.

That said, in today's game it's a nailed-on sending off. Two-footed, studs up, and he's off the deck. By the current standards of the game it's "dangerous" because he could easily have snapped Cattermole's ankle if he'd mistimed it. Easy decision for the ref, I'm afraid.
   167. puck Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4306468)
God, that was painful to watch. Galaxy were awful, "awful" being the best word I can find but not really adequate to express the true nature of their play. Seattle probably deserved at least a 3d goal.

And how odd given how good they looked the week before. No Landon this time, plus rain and turf, but still. A real Jekyll and Hyde thing.

So, the MLS Cup will be Beckham's last game with the Galaxy.

The article doesn't say what's next, but it implies he's not retiring. Dubai? Australia?
   168. Howie Menckel Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4306507)

Fairleigh Dickinson back into the NCAA Div 1 men's soccer Sweet 16: No. 9 North Carolina is next (they survived U-MD-Baltimore County on penalty kicks yesterday).

thought you'd all want to know...

169. DA Baracus Posted: November 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4306512)
All signs point to Australia. I'm guessing to Sydney FC to play with Del Piero (who are in last place), although he is their "international marquee player." Either than or one of the Melbourne teams. The league will figure out a way to work it out.
   170. Mattbert Posted: November 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM (#4306629)
In today's chapter of As The Spurs World Turns, past and current shirt sponsors appear to be at loggerheads as HP accuses Autonomy of fraud and misrepresentation related to the former's acquisition of the latter last year.
HP today disclosed $8.8 billion in non-cash charges “linked to serious accounting improprieties, disclosure failures and outright misrepresentations at Autonomy … that occurred prior to HP’s acquisition of Autonomy and the associated impact of those improprieties, failures and misrepresentations on the expected future financial performance of the Autonomy business over the long-term.” In effect, the company is writing down close to 90% of the value of the transaction.

The company noted that it has referred the matter to securities regulators in both the U.S. and the U.K., and added that it intends to pursue civil charges against some individuals who had a role in the transactions.

HP said it began an internal probe of the situation “after a senior member of Autonomy’s leadership team came forward, following the departure of Autonomy founder Mike Lynch, alleging that there had been a series of questionable accounting and business practices at Autonomy prior to the acquisition by HP.” Hp added that this person “provided numerous details about which HP previously had no knowledge or visibility.”

The company added that it ”now believes that Autonomy was substantially overvalued at the time of its acquisition due to the misstatement of Autonomy’s financial performance, including its revenue, core growth rate and gross margins, and the misrepresentation of its business mix.”
   171. Mattbert Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM (#4306647)
I guess this means I should stop trying to wind up the Liverpool fans in my life by mocking their shirt sponsor's financial "indiscretions".
   172. I am going to be Frank Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM (#4306683)
I think China makes the most sense, but Posh may have the last say in everything.
   173. zack Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM (#4306689)
I think China makes the most sense, but Posh may have the last say in everything.

Reagan freed the USSR, Beckham brought soccer to America, and now he brings it to China, completeing the liberation of the unfree world?
   174. JuanGone..except1game Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM (#4306698)
All signs point to Australia. I'm guessing to Sydney FC to play with Del Piero (who are in last place), although he is their "international marquee player." Either than or one of the Melbourne teams. The league will figure out a way to work it out.

I'm hoping that Heart can scoop him up. We are struggling a bit in the league this season, but its mostly due to a lack of offense from our midfield that could use his skill set. At least Beckham and clan should avoid those Victory bogans at all cost, he's much to classy for them.

175. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4306700)
I say he's going to Zimbru Chisinau. He's the only hope to end the stultifying kleptocratic tyranny of Sheriff.
   176. Mattbert Posted: November 20, 2012 at 02:19 PM (#4306840)
More on the Autonomy scandal, for those interested.
In the release, H-P identified one of the oldest accounting tricks in the book, a variation on the one “Chainsaw Al” Dunlap used to accelerate revenue at Sunbeam — by getting customers to “buy” products now, under terms that really just borrowed from the future.

[...]

Autonomy grew through acquisitions, buying everything from storage companies like Iron Mountain to enterprise software firms like Interwoven. They’d then go to customers and offer them a deal they couldn’t refuse. Say a customer had $5 million and four years left on a data-storage contract, or “disk,” in the trade. Autonomy would offer them, say, the same amount of storage for $4 million but structure it as a $3 million purchase of IDOL software, paid for up front, and $1 million worth of disk. The software sales dropped to the bottom line and burnished Autonomy’s reputation for being a fast-growing, cutting-edge software company a la Oracle, while the revenue actually came from the low-margin, commodity storage business.
   177. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:10 PM (#4306933)
RDM drops Torres and Sturridge to go with 5 defenders (although Azpilicueta is playing as a mid mostly). Interesting tactic that seems to be screaming for a draw although Juventus has dominated so far. Cech with 6 saves, one of the fantastic and lucky variety.

Hazard pretty far forward with Mata further back. Can't say that makes me happy.

Elsewhere Celtic down 1-0 in a game in which a draw would put them in fantastic shape.
   178. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4306944)
Elsewhere Celtic down 1-0 in a game in which a draw would put them in fantastic shape.

Tied it up. A draw clinches.

179. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:25 PM (#4306945)
FC Nordsjælland up 2-1 against Shaktar. What a result THAT would be.

Celtic ties it at 1. Hope they can maintain. A draw here and that are almost guaranteed advancement.

And Juventus scores. Inevitable really but unlucky. They are dominating the ball although Chelsea have had two big chances of breaks.

And another Juve ball cleared off the line...only to have Chelsea counter and nearly get Mata to equalize.

Really open game here.
   180. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:26 PM (#4306946)
Tied it up. A draw clinches.

You are correct now hat Celtic has scored, they win the away goal tie breaker.
   181. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:27 PM (#4306947)
My bad. The announcer misspoke. He appears to be a Celtic fan though from the last few games he's called.
   182. zack Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:34 PM (#4306953)
My bad. The announcer misspoke. He appears to be a Celtic fan though from the last few games he's called.

Hawk Harrelson would be embarassed by that guy.
And Juventus scores. Inevitable really but unlucky. They are dominating the ball although Chelsea have had two big chances of breaks.

Looked intentional to me. Juve has had a surprising number of chances, whereas Chelsea has barely had any possession out of their own half. I wouldn't be surprised if they popped one on a turnover as you say.
   183. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:35 PM (#4306954)

From what I can tell that is correct. Tie breakers are among teams tied only and go points, goal differential, total goals, and finally away goals. Given the 0-0 score of the first game, Celtic and Benifica would go to the 4th and final tie breaker should the match end in a draw. Celtic wins that.

So, a draw and they are in.

184. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:36 PM (#4306957)
Holy crap...Shaktar completely ignores typical sportsmanship ethics and scores on a drop kick after an injury! Unbelievable!

Wonder if UEFA steps in with any punishment. That was pretty awful.
   185. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:39 PM (#4306960)
So, a draw and they are in.

Unless Benfica beats a Barca team of backups (no easy task) next week and Celtic chokes at home to Spartak, then they could be tied and Benfica could advance on goal differential.
   186. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:43 PM (#4306964)
Unless Benfica beats a Barca team of backups (no easy task) next week and Celtic chokes at home to Spartak, then they could be tied and Benfica could advance on goal differential.

No. The differentials are between only the tied teams first. Celtic wins that tie breaker on away goals scored. The result against Spartak would be irrelevant (even a 10-0 defeat wouldn't matter).

Fox Soccer just confirmed btw.
   187. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4306971)
Ah. Good to know.

The way Celtic is playing they should be really happy with a draw regardless.
   188. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4306973)
I just saw that goal for Shakhtar, what a disgrace
   189. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:59 PM (#4306979)
Juventus with 11 shots on goal now. Chelsea hanging in by a thread.
   190. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4306983)
And the thread has snapped. Again, inevitable. Juventus just dominating.
   191. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:04 PM (#4306984)
Deserved second goal for Juventus, who were denied what looked like a pretty clear penalty earlier in the second half.
   192. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:05 PM (#4306987)
Tie breakers aren't setting up well for Chelsea. If the score holds and Juventus win/draw next round they are out. Only way through is a win and Shaktar win.
   193. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:06 PM (#4306988)
Deserved second goal for Juventus, who were denied what looked like a pretty clear penalty earlier in the second half.

Thought that was a good call myself. Not that much contact to elicit that type of fall.

Definitely deserved goal though. Cech has played superbly or it could easily be 4.
   194. Swedish Chef Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:11 PM (#4306993)
How ironical, Rangers won the big tax case that dragged them under.

Link
   195. Swedish Chef Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:22 PM (#4307009)
The Ukrainian Association have decided on their man.

[url href=http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8262546/redknapp-in-talks-with-ukraine]
"On Tuesday, during a meeting of the Football Federation of Ukraine, the chairman of national teams' committee and coaches' council Mikhail Fomenko reported on the situation surrounding the selection of candidates for the position of a head coach," the statement read.

"During discussions some specialist managers were suggested to be invited from England - Oleg Luzhny and Yury Vernidub mentioned Redknapp's surname.

"The majority of members of the committee supported this suggestion.

"The presidium made the decision to start negotiations with Redknapp's representatives concerning his work on the position of the head coach of a national team of Ukraine."
[/url]

Seems like a haphazard process. But it's stylishly retro to have a presidium.
   196. SuperGrover Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:34 PM (#4307029)
Glad RDM decided to rest half his team against West Brom. Quality move.

Not sure he makes it to December if they lose to City this weekend. Not sure it's his fault per se, but the Russian hand is harsh.
   197. Swedish Chef Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:37 PM (#4307036)
Gossip says Pep to Chelsea. Of course, gossip also claims they are moving for Falcao and Suarez in January.
   198. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:38 PM (#4307039)
Wow, Celtic were close there. Watt's misplaced shot just barely fizzed past two Celtic players who could have potentially deflected it in.
   199. DA Baracus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:40 PM (#4307041)
A fair result. Benfica was the better team today.

Glad RDM decided to rest half his team against West Brom. Quality move.

Not sure he makes it to December if they lose to City this weekend. Not sure it's his fault per se, but the Russian hand is harsh.

Other than the money, is there a reason anyone would actually want to coach Chelsea?
   200. Swedish Chef Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:41 PM (#4307043)
Other than the money, is there a reason anyone would actually want to coach Chelsea?

It's the best gig out there, five million or so for four months work.
Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.