Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 01, 2012

OT: The Soccer Thread: October

Kinsale’s: October 27!

Arsenal v. QPR
Wigan v. West Ham

And other exciting action*

Be there!

*But not United-Chelsea or the Spurs game, both of which were moved. Boo!

RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 01, 2012 at 04:22 AM | 654 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7
   601. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 31, 2012 at 02:33 PM (#4289370)
Meanwhile, he nearly bankrupted an organization that should be bankrupt-proof.
This is true, but had they gone under, it's not like Sepp was going to be out on the street dancing for nickels. I'm sure he only measures intelligence as it serves his purposes.
   602. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: October 31, 2012 at 02:50 PM (#4289390)
I'm sure he only measures intelligence as it serves his purposes.
Right, intelligence for sportocrats is not a matter of the actual real-world success of your sporting organization, it's the quality of your dinner parties, the class of your office decor, the size of your expense accounts, and so on.
   603. Mattbert Posted: October 31, 2012 at 03:11 PM (#4289413)
It's entirely obvious that Lloris is the superior keeper. His distribution so much better than Friedel's, and given that the big problem Spurs have had this season is possession breakdowns late in games, a keeper with below average distribution skills is a big problem. Friedel didn't cause Spurs to let the game get away against Southampton, but he was clearly part of the problem. Lloris would be part of the solution.

Concur. It is driving me crazy.

I don't know why this is such a big deal for Villas-Boas when he seems to have had no trouble being ruthless with Dawson's playing time.
   604. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 31, 2012 at 04:08 PM (#4289458)
Torino up on garbage club Lazio in Rome! Polish international Kamil Glik with the goal.
   605. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 31, 2012 at 04:38 PM (#4289488)
A few upsets brewing in Serie A at the half. Atalanta up on Napoli. Sampdoria up on Inter, Parma up on Roma and, of course Il Grande Torino up on Lazio. Bologna and Juventus are level.
   606. Mattbert Posted: November 01, 2012 at 08:27 AM (#4289825)
Flippin' heck, Mick's the new manager of Ipswich.

Tottenham's young fullback Adam Smith has gone to Millwall on a three month loan.

Robbie Keane attended a Lakers game.

Anything to avoid talking about another late collapse by Spurs. Can you tell?
   607. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: November 01, 2012 at 08:32 AM (#4289830)
Can't blame Friedel this time!

Didn't watch the game so I have no idea what happened. I enjoyed Torino going toe to toe with Lazio, though. So close, so very close to 3 points...
   608. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 01, 2012 at 09:20 AM (#4289861)
Tottenham's young fullback Adam Smith has gone to Millwall on a three month loan.
The Wealth of Nations, indeed.

Di Matteo claiming that Chelsea's win is "justice" is pretty rich. It's still there the Capital One Cup there, Robby.
   609. Topher Posted: November 01, 2012 at 03:51 PM (#4290271)
Did anybody watch Chelsea - ManU yesterday?

I forgot it was the League Cup so this is partially my fault because I forgot that there would be a winner after 90, 120, PKs.

I set up the DVR to record the game. (Avoided this thread since I figured somebody would be talking about it. Silly me, nobody cares about the League Cup.)

Got ready to watch the recording. At the time the game was scheduled to begin, beIN had the broadcast in the 7th minute. Multiple time, build up to goals was missed because they were showing Roman Abramovich instead. (This was a delayed broadcast, but maybe they had no way to fix that.) Halftime was abbreviated by beIN as was the break between regulation and extra time. With the missed beginning, my two hour DVR slot ended with the game in the 107th minute.

The fact that I didn't extend the recording is my fault, but do people know if beIN is regularly starting games when they are listed or if the listed times are "approximate"? I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've seen this; this was the first time I was recording but there was another game I saw when I was flipping through the channels that seemed to have been too far in regulation to have actually started at the time it was listed.
   610. Swedish Chef Posted: November 01, 2012 at 06:53 PM (#4290434)
AZ played the impressively named SWZ Boso Sneek in the Dutch Cup today.
   611. puck Posted: November 01, 2012 at 10:06 PM (#4290548)
Topher, which beIN, the english language channel, or the spanish language one? The spanish language one was on delay, so they had time to edit the game. I had the same problem with the Arsenal game, though I had added time on the end so I caught all the actual insanity. But the broadcast started about 7-8 minutes in.

In general, I've found if they list the game as live on their programming grid, it will start on time. I've run into two exceptions--the Milan derby (where they indicated in advance they'd join in it in progress due to the Barca-Real Madrid game), and last week's Real Madrid game, which started a few minutes late (due to the Atletico Madrid game running long or something).
   612. Mefisto Posted: November 01, 2012 at 10:55 PM (#4290595)
Topher, if it's any consolation, I didn't get the game at all. Instead of Utd v Chelsea, I got the last 25 minutes of a Serie A game and the beginning of an Atl. Madrid game.
   613. Topher Posted: November 02, 2012 at 12:50 PM (#4290883)
Thanks puck. I have Comcast so it's the Spanish language beIN.

So in order to make things fit, the first few minutes are just skipped over? Ay caramba. Although that seems to be better than Mefisto's experience for sure.

And thanks for the link, puck. I wonder if there is a disconnect between beIN's programming grid and that of Comcast. beIN seems to have very few programs that start at the top/bottom of the hour and that might be causing problems.

Or it could just be that beIN doesn't have their act together.
   614. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: November 02, 2012 at 01:07 PM (#4290897)
So the Boston Globe media report had the EPL/NBC deal as its focus today. The writer (Chad Finn) noted that NBC would televise "every EPL game" which is something I've seen mentioned elsewhere as well. Maybe I'm late to the party here but this is "every game available" not "every game" right? My understanding is that unlike US sports the EPL does not allow broadcasting of all games to protect non-Premiership clubs.
   615. Swedish Chef Posted: November 02, 2012 at 01:16 PM (#4290902)
My understanding is that unlike US sports the EPL does not allow broadcasting of all games to protect non-Premiership clubs.

That's the Saturday afternoon games and there is no restriction at all on international broadcasting of those. And it's not an EPL rule, it's an FA rule (and it's backed by European law).
   616. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: November 02, 2012 at 01:26 PM (#4290923)
That's the Saturday afternoon games and there is no restriction at all on international broadcasting of those. And it's not an EPL rule, it's an FA rule (and it's backed by European law).

Yeah we get all the games as England isn't worried about smaller clubs losing ticket sales due to masses of Americans not flying to England because their at home watching Wigan against Stoke.

No one read my link to Jen Chang's strong arm tactics against internet wind-up merchants? Jen Chang...who knew? (If the allegations are true, of course.)
   617. Flynn Posted: November 02, 2012 at 01:30 PM (#4290927)
Yeah, it's an FA law. Fox can and has shown 3 pm games on TV for many many moons. Indeed, it's to protect attendances for clubs lower down the Football League.
   618. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 02, 2012 at 01:47 PM (#4290945)
No one read my link to Jen Chang's strong arm tactics against internet wind-up merchants? Jen Chang...who knew? (If the allegations are true, of course.)
I think we covered that story while you were in Europe
   619. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: November 02, 2012 at 01:51 PM (#4290948)
I think we covered that story while you were in Europe

Bastards!
   620. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: November 02, 2012 at 01:52 PM (#4290950)
I read the story. It made no sense on any level, and I did not get trustworthy vibes from the author. I figure the truth is somewhere rather boringly in the middle. The fact that anyone from LFC contacted a joke twitter account is ridiculous, of course. But it felt like he made rather a meal of it.
   621. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: November 02, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4291039)
I read the story. It made no sense on any level, and I did not get trustworthy vibes from the author. I figure the truth is somewhere rather boringly in the middle. The fact that anyone from LFC contacted a joke twitter account is ridiculous, of course. But it felt like he made rather a meal of it.

I thought so, too, until LFC apologized to him.
   622. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:20 AM (#4291522)
It didn't take Van Persie long to twist the knife.
   623. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:27 AM (#4291525)
Best pass Vermalen has made in awhile though.

This ha not been a great game. Arsenal have not pressured De Gea at all and really other than the goal it's not like United have peppered Mannone either. United seem the more likely to get a goal, they've moved better, just not getting it done in the final third.
   624. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:30 AM (#4291527)
Sadly, I have limited tv time today so I'm only going to watch Spurs. Sounds like I'm not missing much. Arsenal have been fairly toothless--with one exception!--lately.
   625. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:30 AM (#4291528)
No excuse for not having his hands behind his back. That's a no brainier penalty.
   626. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:36 AM (#4291530)
No excuse for not having his hands behind his back. That's a no brainier penalty.

Has there been water bottle abuse?
   627. DA Baracus Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:46 AM (#4291539)
Vermaelen was actually wearing clownshoes on Van Persie's goal.
   628. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:47 AM (#4291540)
Not yet. Weird moment as the teams went in at halftime, Santos asked for and got Van Persie's jersey. Macca was appalled. It was rather odd that's for sure.
   629. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 03, 2012 at 10:14 AM (#4291554)
Arsenal continue their efforts at developing a new level: Top-Table Obscurity.
   630. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 03, 2012 at 10:42 AM (#4291567)
Holy ####, the husband in that Tecate ad might be even worse than the DirecTV guy
   631. Mattbert Posted: November 03, 2012 at 10:54 AM (#4291572)
Unchanged lineup from Soton for AVB today. Friedel between the sticks again. Sigh.
   632. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: November 03, 2012 at 11:52 AM (#4291602)
Holy ####, the husband in that Tecate ad might be even worse than the DirecTV guy
For me, the dude is mostly inoffensive. It's the portrayal of the lady that's offensive.

"Women are stupid children. Drink Tecate!"

(Also, she doesn't look fat in that dress.)
   633. Mattbert Posted: November 03, 2012 at 11:54 AM (#4291604)
Do you regret using your limited tv time on this snoozer, Shooty? This is sapping my will to live.
   634. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: November 03, 2012 at 11:54 AM (#4291605)
Sadly, I have limited tv time today so I'm only going to watch Spurs. Sounds like I'm not missing much.
Well, maybe you didn't miss a great game this morning, but you're sure submitting yourself to an awful one now.
   635. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: November 03, 2012 at 11:56 AM (#4291607)
What's weird about the game so far, in my observation, is that Spurs seem to have a pretty good game plan, but they're being undone mostly by individual failures. They get into good positions to attack pretty regularly, and then a bad touch gives the ball away.
   636. Mattbert Posted: November 03, 2012 at 12:03 PM (#4291610)
Sigurdsson, although guilty of a couple poor balls, has given them some life in midfield. With Dembele missing, he's the closest thing Spurs have to someone who can go past a man and be direct out of the middle. Thud has his uses, but tempo isn't one of them.

Would like to see Ade and Falque if things don't pick up sharpish.
   637. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 03, 2012 at 12:17 PM (#4291619)
(Also, she doesn't look fat in that dress.)
Yeah, that's my problem with the ad. Is she supposed to look fat? Apparently I need to raise my standards in women.
   638. Swedish Chef Posted: November 03, 2012 at 12:37 PM (#4291627)
I don"t really see what Holloway gains by going to Palace. They're a couple of points higher, but isn't that club in a pretty bad shape otherwise?
   639. Mattbert Posted: November 03, 2012 at 12:56 PM (#4291640)
Well, that was utterly horrific.
   640. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 03, 2012 at 02:28 PM (#4291770)
Nil-Nil at HT at Upton Park. Get ready for West Ham to really play behind the ball in the second half as they try to prevent a loss/keep the goal difference from getting out of hand.
   641. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 03, 2012 at 03:23 PM (#4291852)
That's a good result for the Hammers. And very strange last 30 seconds for City, it was like they didn't even want to make a last attack.
   642. Mattbert Posted: November 03, 2012 at 03:58 PM (#4291903)
West Ham with by far the best result of the London clubs in action today. Raise your hand if you saw that coming.
   643. Mattbert Posted: November 03, 2012 at 09:09 PM (#4292163)
I've calmed down now.

The lack of movement from the front four was the main problem, I thought. Wigan were very disciplined in their 3-4-3, and they just plain outworked Spurs in closing down in their own half and cutting off the supply to Defoe and the wingers. Dempsey made more opportunities for himself, but unfortunately he's back to being the rather average player he was before his last season and change with Fulham.

It was an intelligent game plan from Martinez, who recognized that there was no need to get tight to Thud - simply mark his receivers and the quarterback has nothing to do but dump it short. Nobody in the middle had the ability to drive past his man and commit defenders to him; couple that with largely static forward play and you've got another toothless showing. I appreciate the absence of a few options for Villas-Boas, but the fact is he got out-managed today.

Trying to find a silver lining, maybe this is the shocker result that galvanizes the manager into making some overdue changes to the team.
   644. Gaelan Posted: November 03, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4292341)
So are you guys still trying to catch me in the BTF fantasy league? What would it say if I won two years in a row? Lots of time left, no reason to not make transfers and make up the ground.
   645. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: November 04, 2012 at 08:41 AM (#4292486)
I'm not giving up! I love the fantasy league. I'm not good at it (yet). It's given me rooting interests in the mid-table games I wouldn't care about at all. I have a much better handle on all the rosters than I did last year. It's given me a really funny perspective on the sadness that is Sunderland - with their keeper and a central defender in my squad, all I want is for them to remain sad and uninspiring in order to keep racking up the clear sheets.

The thing that bugs me is that the data isn't free. While it's not clear that the Opta data clearly differentiates better and worse players, it seems evident that it does differentiate better and worse fantasy players within their particular systems. But unless I dump money on it, the best I can do is see whatever the FFS guys and Chris Glover choose to dole out in free articles.
   646. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: November 04, 2012 at 10:12 AM (#4292511)
So are you guys still trying to catch me in the BTF fantasy league? What would it say if I won two years in a row? Lots of time left, no reason to not make transfers and make up the ground.
I'm not giving up--though you wouldn't know it by looking at my results!
   647. Gaelan Posted: November 04, 2012 at 10:22 AM (#4292516)
the best I can do is see whatever the FFS guys and Chris Glover choose to dole out in free articles.

That's all I do. I read the arguments of other people and decide whether they are compelling or not. Since I'm pretty good at assessing other people's rationality it works out more than it doesn't. Looking at your team you seem to be following a similar strategy since we have all the same players.
   648. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: November 04, 2012 at 10:40 AM (#4292523)
That's all I do. I read the arguments of other people and decide whether they are compelling or not. Since I'm pretty good at assessing other people's rationality it works out more than it doesn't. Looking at your team you seem to be following a similar strategy since we have all the same players.
Right, but it'd be like if instead of assessing players based on the Fangraphs and B-Ref and BPro stats, I had to wait for articles on their sites and then assess whether I trust the argument. It's that second step of remove that I dislike.
   649. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: November 04, 2012 at 10:45 AM (#4292525)
I enjoy the fantasy league quite a bit. If nothing else it gives me an excuse to follow a much wider scope of the EPL than maybe I would.
   650. Gaelan Posted: November 04, 2012 at 10:59 AM (#4292530)
Right, but it'd be like if instead of assessing players based on the Fangraphs and B-Ref and BPro stats, I had to wait for articles on their sites and then assess whether I trust the argument. It's that second step of remove that I dislike.

It's also more complicated than that because so much depends upon playing time and usage. Information that isn't in the stats even if they are available. So I keep it simple and try and get players I know are going to play (Von Persie, Suarez) while avoiding the Manchester City jungle.

At this point, however, it is getting difficult to change your team, with only one transfer per week and the value guys more expensive than they were. It's really important to get in on the ground floor.
   651. Spivey Posted: November 04, 2012 at 11:48 AM (#4292553)
Solid draw by Fulham. Got outplayed, but getting a draw against a good team on the road is one of those things where you take it no matter what. Especially since Everton is very much a team that Fulham will be battling for a Europe spot. It's so damn annoying - if this team had Dempsey and/or Dembele....
   652. Spivey Posted: November 04, 2012 at 11:49 AM (#4292554)
Also, Sidwell should be starting. Guy's just real solid and very active. And our midfield is garbage. Really nice free kick from Bryan Ruiz though.
   653. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: November 04, 2012 at 03:01 PM (#4292659)
It doesn't matter the match-ups, it doesn't matter the outcomes, these Round 1 FA Cup games are ####### wonderful.
   654. Tike Redman's Shattered Dreams Posted: November 04, 2012 at 03:11 PM (#4292664)
November thread is up, by the way.
Page 7 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.