Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 20, 2017

OT: Winter Soccer Thread

November 4 Borussia Dortmund v. Bayern Munich
November 5 Chelsea v. ManU
November 9 & 12 - Northern Ireland v. Switzerland/Croatia v. Greece
November 10 &  13 - Sweden v. Italy
November 11 & 14 - Denmark v. Ireland
November 10 & 15 - Honduras v. Australia
November 11 & 15 - New Zealand v. Peru
November 14 - Portugal v. USA (friendly #&!^#&)
December 1 - Napoli v. Juventus
December 10 - ManU v. ManCity
December 11 - Champions League Round of 16 draw
December 20 - Real Madrid v. Barcelona (how contentious will this be given the political climate?)

Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: October 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM | 197 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 05, 2017 at 10:52 AM (#5571212)
Bring on the robots ... or at least challenge and review.
   102. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 05, 2017 at 03:04 PM (#5571264)
Alternatively, DONT STOP RUNNING. I mean it was offsides but Jesus, the entire Arsenal backline just stopped. Play the whistle.
   103. manchestermets Posted: November 05, 2017 at 05:36 PM (#5571290)
Two non-contradictory statements:

1)Arsenal were screwed by the officials twice.
2)Arsenal would still have lost the game had they not been screwed by the officials.

City had a lot in hand.
   104. ckash Posted: November 05, 2017 at 06:32 PM (#5571310)
Thoughts about Chelsea-Man U:

Christenson has arrived. Should be starting full-time now.

Azpilicueta played a hell of a game.

Luis and Cahill can rotate at the other CB.

This was the best non-scoring game I've ever seen Eden Hazard play.

Cesc played great, although his passing in the final third was subpar at times.

Kante is Chelsea's MVP.

Bakayoko looked good. Wish he could finish.

Morata scored when it counted. Still doesn't seem as sharp as earlier this season.

Zappa Costa has probably stolen Moses's job.

Alonso's D was better than his offensive contributions.

Courtois performed when called upon.

Probably the best overall team performance Chelsea has had this season.

105. jmurph Posted: November 06, 2017 at 11:17 AM (#5571505)
1)Arsenal were screwed by the officials twice.

What was the 2nd? The missed offside was terrible, even in real time, but you're not talking the penalty are you? Relatively soft, but it was a foul.
   106. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 06, 2017 at 02:24 PM (#5571685)
Bakayoko looked good. Wish he could finish.

Yeah, I'm not sure about him. I like a lot of his game, but he really isn't a goal scorer. When I look at their team compared to the other top teams (even Liverpool) I don't see enough goal scorers on the field.

Now, when they have Kante out there their defense is great, I just think they need someone else to score some goals - last year they got a good number of goals from Alonso and Pedro (and Hazard, of course, but you figure his will come).

What was the 2nd? The missed offside was terrible, even in real time, but you're not talking the penalty are you? Relatively soft, but it was a foul.

In real time it clearly looked like a foul, but I thought the replays made it look pretty shoulder to shoulder, and if anything it looks like Monreal was in front of the City player. Now, he still went in a little hard, but that is one that gets called each way pretty often.
   107. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 06, 2017 at 03:39 PM (#5571759)
Slaven Bilic sacked by West Ham. Rumors are David Moyes will replace him. I support Liverpool, but I felt really bad for Bilic while watching the end of the game this weekend. His posture was that of utter defeat; I got the feeling he would be out within a day or two. It was the same feeling as watching Ronald Koeman's last match; you just knew it was coming, and regardless of your team affiliation, you felt sorry for the manager...
   108. JuanGone..except1game Posted: November 06, 2017 at 03:49 PM (#5571769)
Christenson has arrived. Should be starting full-time now. Azpilicueta played a hell of a game. Luis and Cahill can rotate at the other CB.

Christenson is so well composed while showing some great steel in putting Lukaku in his pocket. The only disagreement is that I think Cahill is 5th best with Rudiger rotating in for Azpi/Luis. I just think that Cahill has gotten a step slower and without more goal scoring options better passing in defense would be an improvement.

That game was the kind where I truly don't miss Mourinho. His tactic of playing for a draw in big away games was a recurring nightmare even when our side was clearly superior. That display was just unduly negative with Herrara being his primary hatchet man and isn't going to help him win a title with City tearing teams apart.
   109. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 06, 2017 at 05:01 PM (#5571840)
Slaven Bilic sacked by West Ham. Rumors are David Moyes will replace him. I support Liverpool, but I felt really bad for Bilic while watching the end of the game this weekend. His posture was that of utter defeat; I got the feeling he would be out within a day or two. It was the same feeling as watching Ronald Koeman's last match; you just knew it was coming, and regardless of your team affiliation, you felt sorry for the manager...

Managing that level of team is really difficult. You're basically expected to be like 5th-8th every year. Nevermind there are 6 teams trying to be top 4 every year. You just got to cut and run on those clubs when you can.
   110. Textbook Editor Posted: November 06, 2017 at 07:11 PM (#5571948)
OK, I need some illegal streaming advice... Despite the fact it's the only UEFA !@#$% WC playoff going on that day (11/14), Fox in its infinite !@@$% ignorance is instead showing a Portugal-USA friendly instead of the Ireland-Denmark 2nd leg. (The first leg is on FS2 and I'm heading to a TBD bar to watch that.) So for the 11/14 match I'll need an illegal stream because I'll be damned if I'm gonna give Fox a dime of my $ or my credit card info for FoxGo or whatever the hell it's called. (It's not even on FS2!)

Any ideas? I honestly can't believe how bad Fox is sometimes.
   111. I am going to be Frank Posted: November 07, 2017 at 08:57 AM (#5572099)
if you go to reddit.com/r/soccerstreams, they usually have a link or two.
   112. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: November 07, 2017 at 09:27 AM (#5572113)
Very sorry to have missed the epic thrashing of Real Madrid but maybe Spurs will get to thrash them again in the Final!

I was actually in Indonesia for a couple of weeks and, my last night there in the Jakarta Airport Hotel, I watched some of a Chinese Super League game that featured, among others, Hulk. Hulk has had a pretty interesting career for someone if his star level--Japan to Portugal to Russia to China. It made me wonder who is the best player never to have played in one of the big 4 Euro leagues is since Pele. I'm guessing it's a Brazilian or Mexican player, or maybe a French player who never left France. Maybe a Soviet player, I guess, too. Hell, maybe it's Hulk.

The Usmanov-Moshiri-Everton triangle is weird. Really weird.
   113. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 07, 2017 at 09:55 AM (#5572133)
Is Hulk really that good?

I like his style of play, he seems to be a hard worker and I like that from forwards, but if he was really all that I'd expect a much more prolific goal scoring record in the leagues he's played. Closer to a goal/game.

In the handful of games I've watched him, I got that sense as well that he isn't a great finisher.
   114. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: November 07, 2017 at 10:08 AM (#5572146)
Is Hulk really that good?

I don't know that we know how good is he is because of where he's plied his trade. The Chinese players couldn't handle him physically from what I saw and everything that good happened for his team came from him. But he was in the Brazil 11 at a World Cup and is a pretty big "star" of world football. Before he went to Zenit he would have commanded one of the biggest transfer fees in Europe had he gone to England or Spain or Italy. That said, I doubt he's the best player to have avoided the big 4 leagues since Pele. Gotta be someone better than Hulk but I don't know enough about 80's Soviet soccer to make a guess. From what I've read, those Dynamo Kyiv teams were pretty loaded with talent.
   115. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 08, 2017 at 08:11 PM (#5573277)
According to World soccer talk FS2 has the second leg as well TE.
   116. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 08, 2017 at 08:14 PM (#5573279)
this from WST

Thursday, November 9
Croatia vs. Greece (1st leg), 2:45pm, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3 and Sling Latino (7-day free trial)
Northern Ireland vs. Switzerland (1st leg), 2:45pm, ESPN2, ESPN3 and Sling Latino (7-day free trial)

Friday, November 10
South Africa vs. Senegal, Noon, beIN SPORTS, beIN SPORTS en Español, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)
Algeria vs. Nigeria, 2:30pm, beIN SPORTS, beIN SPORTS en Español, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)
Sweden vs. Italy (1st leg), 2:45pm, FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes, DIRECTV NOW, Sling Blue and fubo Premier (7-day free trial)
Honduras vs. Australia (1st leg), 5pm, Telemundo, Universo, Telemundo Deportes En Vivo App, TelemundoDeportes.com and fubo Premier (free trial)
New Zealand vs. Peru (1st leg), 10:15pm, beIN SPORTS, beIN SPORTS en Español, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)

Saturday, November 11
Zambia vs. Cameroon, 8am, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)
Gabon vs. Mali, 9:30am, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)
Africa World Cup qualifiers whiparound, 12:30pm, beIN SPORTS, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)
Congo DR vs. Guinea, 12:30pm, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)
Ivory Coast vs. Morocco, 12:30pm, beIN SPORTS en Espanol, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)
Tunisia vs. Libya, 12:30pm, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)
Denmark vs. Ireland (1st leg), 2:45pm, FOX Sports 2, FOX Deportes, DIRECTV NOW, Sling Blue and fubo Premier (7-day free trial)

Sunday, November 12
Congo vs. Uganda, 9:30am, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)
Ghana vs. Egypt, 10:30am, beIN SPORTS, beIN SPORTS en Espanol, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)
Switzerland vs. Northern Ireland (2nd leg), Noon, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3 and Sling Latino (7-day free trial)
Greece vs. Croatia (2nd leg), 2:45pm, ESPN Deportes, ESPNEWS, ESPN3 and Sling Latino (7-day free trial)

Monday, November 13
Italy vs. Sweden (2nd leg), 2:45pm, FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes, DIRECTV NOW, Sling Blue and fubo Premier (7-day free trial)

Tuesday, November 14
Burkina Faso vs. Cape Verde Islands, 2:30pm, TV/streaming TBD
Senegal vs. South Africa, 2:30pm, TV/streaming TBD
Ireland vs. Denmark (2nd leg), 2:45pm, FOX Sports 2, FOX Soccer Match Pass, DIRECTV NOW, Sling Blue and fubo Premier (7-day free trial)

Wednesday, November 15
Australia vs. Honduras (2nd leg), 4am, beIN SPORTS, ESPN3, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)
Peru vs. New Zealand (2nd leg), 9:15pm, beIN SPORTS, beIN SPORTS en Español, Sling World Sports and fubo Premier (free trial)
   117. Textbook Editor Posted: November 09, 2017 at 12:12 AM (#5573314)
THANK YOU JOSE!

I may check out this fubo Premier free trial thingy...
   118. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 09, 2017 at 12:36 AM (#5573320)
If nothing else the fubo commercials are a hoot.
   119. Sean Forman Posted: November 09, 2017 at 11:41 AM (#5573496)
USA roster for Portugal Friendly

GOALKEEPERS (3): Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 3/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 32/3), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Sheffield United/ENG; 0/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 13/1), Matt Miazga (Vitesse/NED; 3/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 26/1), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 14/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 48/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 16/1), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 0/0), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 65/2), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland/ENG; 2/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 0/0), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution; 3/1), Danny Williams (Huddersfield Town/ENG; 22/2)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 26/3), Dom Dwyer (Orlando City SC; 3/2), C.J. Sapong (Philadelphia Union; 2/0), Josh Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher; 0/0)

I want to see
Horvath
Yedlin, Brooks CCV Miazga, Villafana I guess or Acosta
McKennie, Adams and Acosta/Gooch/Rowe
Who cares, Sargent?

Jonathan Gonzalez has a makeup game with Monterrey and Liga MX playoffs coming up or he would have been called up. Wood and Pulisic are exhausted.

Sargent is a 17yo about to sign with Werder Bremen. I doubt he's ready for this level, but not too excited by the alternatives.

My plan for the next ten years would be 4-3-3 with McKennie, Adams, Gonzalez in midfield and three fast counterattackers up top.
   120. Mefisto Posted: November 09, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5573501)
I've seen Brooks a lot, so I'd rather pair CCV (whom I've never seen) and Miazga (a couple of times) at central defense.

That forward line is ... either frightening or depressing. Give Sargent a shot, I say.
   121. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 09, 2017 at 03:09 PM (#5573663)
Sounds like my choice to watch NIR-Switzerland was the right one. Croatia already up 2-0. I have split loyalties here, I really like this Swiss group bit as the underdogs I feel like it would be amazing to see Northern Ireland go through.
   122. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 09, 2017 at 04:34 PM (#5573750)
Hilariously bad penalty call in Switzerland's favor.
   123. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 09, 2017 at 11:14 PM (#5573896)
It was a reasonable result, the Swiss were better but what a bad call. The player jumped and turned his back to the ball and in my opinion didn’t have his arms in any kind of unnatural position. On top of that the ball hit him in the back. Live it didn’t even occur to me that it was a penalty until he pointed to the spot.
   124. I am going to be Frank Posted: November 10, 2017 at 09:51 AM (#5573976)
I'm glad they are going with youth. I don't know who has or has not officially retired, but the old guard is a low floor, low ceiling group. We will never find a good left back ever, will we? I can't believe Lichaj still gets call ups. I have no idea how good is he now, but he's been around forever.
   125. There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty Posted: November 10, 2017 at 01:50 PM (#5574178)
Hope for Blackpool--the Oyston family has put the club up for sale.
   126. Textbook Editor Posted: November 11, 2017 at 09:45 AM (#5574461)
Hoping Ireland can get an away goal today and keep a clean sheet, but I fear they'll score the goal and go full turtle and then see Eriksen score a hat trick on them as a result...

127. Textbook Editor Posted: November 11, 2017 at 02:08 PM (#5574507)
And naturally Ireland doesn't start Hoolahan. I get he's 34 years old but if you get an away goal things are so much easier in the home leg, and Hoolahan is the most creative guy they have. Bah. Already pissed and 40 minutes from kickoff.
   128. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 11, 2017 at 04:41 PM (#5574549)
That’s not a bad result. I’m with you though, an away goal would change everything. They’ve left themselves no wiggle room.
   129. Textbook Editor Posted: November 11, 2017 at 04:48 PM (#5574552)
Jose--precisely. Not a bad result but certainly not good.

They give up a goal now they have to score two. Maybe the plan was to get a 0-0 but I think that's just a terrible plan.

The bar I went to was exact same one as 8 years ago for the first leg of France v Ireland. Much less crowded, probably because 8 years ago it was only available on satellite (Saetana) and not FS2. I think it was the only place in downtown Philly you could watch the game 8 years ago.

Still. A 0-0 is better than being down a goal. But the margin is very thin now.
   130. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 12, 2017 at 08:56 AM (#5574633)
Denmark is a good team, there's real positives to be taken out of that result.
   131. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 12, 2017 at 10:49 AM (#5574646)
The problem for Ireland is that Denmark are the better team and that result means that not only does Denmark go through with a win but a score draw also puts them through. I understand what Ireland wanted to do (and frankly DID do) but they were too negative. They just didn’t give themselves a chance at that away goal.
   132. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 12, 2017 at 11:05 AM (#5574647)
I agree that Denmark is the better team which is why a road draw seems fine/good. I mean yeah they didn't win 2-0. They played a better team on the road in a massive game and drew
   133. Baldrick Posted: November 12, 2017 at 12:49 PM (#5574671)
What I took from that result is that Ireland very well could make the WC, and they will be absolutely dismal if they do so.
   134. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 12, 2017 at 04:34 PM (#5574739)
Kinda glad I didn't end up watching the games today. Zero goals across the two. World Cup action comin atcha!!

The good news is the two better clubs, that are more willing I think to try to take it to the top teams, are advancing.
   135. Baldrick Posted: November 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM (#5574926)
USWNT beats Canada 3-1 in second of two friendlies.

I'll admit, a tiny part of me was kind of hoping they would lose so that it might trigger Ellis being replaced by Laura Harvey.
   136. Mefisto Posted: November 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5575096)
Heh. I've been guilty of that too. The US looked poor in the first game, much better last night. In fairness, they're missing 5 players I'd start (Brian, Heath, Lavelle, Pugh, Dunn). Having Morgan finally back in form makes a big difference.

I can't get over just how bad Press looks playing out on the left. Sullivan made some nice passes in her short time.
   137. Baldrick Posted: November 13, 2017 at 02:48 PM (#5575252)
Heh. I've been guilty of that too. The US looked poor in the first game, much better last night. In fairness, they're missing 5 players I'd start (Brian, Heath, Lavelle, Pugh, Dunn). Having Morgan finally back in form makes a big difference.

I'd be happy with an XI where all of them started, but the differences between them and their analogs in this lineup wasn't all that big. Unlike Canada, who was missing quite a few key players. The biggest miss to my eye is Brian, who might be able settle that midfield in a way that this trio just doesn't seem to be capable of. In this setup, I don't actually see all that much room for Lavelle. Which, that may be a reason to junk this setup, actually.

As for Press, she's never looked particularly comfortable on the wing, and it baffles me that they don't play her centrally with Morgan on the right. Seems like a much better way to get maximum value out of both, and press in the middle could pretty casually shift between center forward to false 9. But at this point, I'm not going to be surprised about Ellis failing to get peak performance from Press. The other thing to note is that Taylor Smith had an awful game (I wonder if she's actually back to 100% after the NWSL final), and simply did not make the overlapping runs that were needed to get Press involved. That, combined with a much more exploitable defensive situation down Canada's right, and it's no surprise that the majority of US attacks went through O'Hara and Rapinoe.
   138. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 13, 2017 at 04:12 PM (#5575352)
He hasn’t been perfect with every call but so far the ref in this Italy-Sweden game is doing a terrific job of keeping control of a game that has all the feeling of one that will boil over.
   139. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 13, 2017 at 04:25 PM (#5575372)
Last time missed champions;

Brazil never
Germany 1950 banned, never failed to qualify
Italy 1958...tick tick tick
Argentina 1970
Spain 1974
France 1994
England 1994
Uruguay 2006

France and Spain never missed after winning a title.
   140. Baldrick Posted: November 13, 2017 at 04:28 PM (#5575375)
Croatia scored more goals in the first leg (4) than all other teams in all of the other playoff games have scored combined.
   141. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: November 13, 2017 at 04:39 PM (#5575388)
So Insigne on the bench...
1) Purely tactical
2) Surprising
or 3) Clownshoes

Thoughts?
   142. Baldrick Posted: November 13, 2017 at 04:43 PM (#5575396)
Man, the NIT is going to be pretty exciting next summer!
   143. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 13, 2017 at 04:46 PM (#5575398)
I’d take option 3. Italy didn’t look like they had any tactics other than “run around a lot and see if we can score.” What an awful performance.
   144. jmurph Posted: November 13, 2017 at 04:51 PM (#5575403)
Man, the NIT is going to be pretty exciting next summer!

Here you go:
Stuart Holden‏
@stuholden
Starting my proposal here - 4 Team Tournament in USA this summer between Italy, Ivory Coast, Chile and USMNT - All players have to be under 25. #TheFuture #WC2022
   145. PepTech Posted: November 13, 2017 at 05:03 PM (#5575414)
jmurph - what, no Dutch?
   146. jmurph Posted: November 13, 2017 at 05:08 PM (#5575421)
Good call. Man, that's a lot of traditionally successful teams being left out (and the US, but in fairness we at least usually advance out of the group!).
   147. Textbook Editor Posted: November 13, 2017 at 06:28 PM (#5575447)
I'm shocked at the Italy result. At least USMNT won't be the most glaring team not going to Russia.

Well if FIFA can let Italy miss out maybe there won't be a conspiracy against letting Ireland in.

That said, it was a dire game Saturday, and if that's how Ireland would play at the WC... hoping for three 0-0 draws... ugh.
   148. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 13, 2017 at 06:49 PM (#5575460)
At least USMNT won't be the most glaring team not going to Russia.

I think Chile's absence is more glaring than the USA's.
   149. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 13, 2017 at 08:47 PM (#5575582)
He hasn’t been perfect with every call but so far the ref in this Italy-Sweden game is doing a terrific job of keeping control of a game that has all the feeling of one that will boil over.

Both The Guardian's MBM and post-game write-up make it seem like the ref had a rather torrid time ...

7 min: Penalty shout for Italy! Some loose passing and control leaves the ball pinballing around Sweden’s box. Parolo is first to the loose ball and collapses immediately after contact with Augustinsson. It looks like a dive, but replays show it was a very clumsy tackle. Referee Antonio Miguel waves play on, much to the disgust of the San Siro. As Sweden break, Chiellini fouls Toivonen and is promptly shown the night’s first yellow card.

12 min: Penalty shout for Sweden! Surely that was a handball. Again, waved away! Oh my, that was a definite penalty, Forsberg nicked in and toed the ball past Darmian, the ball clearly hitting the Manchester United defender’s hand. It probably wasn’t deliberate, but one of those ones where it was so blatant it is seldom not punished. Italy certainly got away with one there.

29 min: Another penalty shout for Sweden! Again, waved away! Forsberg breaks on the left, plays a lofted pass towards Berg, and the ball clearly strikes Barzagli’s hand! Forsberg is incensed at at the decision, berating the referee, so much so he picks up a yellow card for dissent. That could have been disastrous for Italy: a penalty and a possible second yellow card for Barzagli. But they get away with it.

47 min: Italy straight on the offensive again. Candreva whips the ball in, over everybody’s heads apart from Darmian, who does well to control the ball before he is hacked to the ground inside the penalty area! The referee whistles … free kick to Sweden! That is a bizarre decision, but it looks as though Antonio Lahoz has penalised Darmian for controlling the ball with his hand. Which replays show he did not do! Darmian looks as though he’s winded, such was the clumsiness of Lustig’s challenge.

150. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 13, 2017 at 09:22 PM (#5575612)
The 12th minute penalty non call is the one I thought was most egregious. The rest of it I thought was generally pretty tight. The 47th minute should’ve been a penalty but live I thought it was correct.
   151. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 13, 2017 at 09:25 PM (#5575615)
Group A

USA host
Netherlands
Australia/Honduras
Ivory Coast

Group B

Italy
Chile
Denmark/Ireland
Peru/New Zealand

152. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: November 13, 2017 at 09:31 PM (#5575618)
The US is now the 4th or 5th biggest miss at the World Cup! Thanks, Chile, Italy, and the Dutch!

USA! USA! USA!
   153. Baldrick Posted: November 13, 2017 at 09:34 PM (#5575620)
I only caught the last hours, but saw gifs of the early penalty decisions.

I agree that the ref probably screwed up in a few BIG ways, but also agree that he did a reasonably good job of keeping the game from getting out of control. Two different aspects of the job. Did one well.
   154. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 13, 2017 at 10:36 PM (#5575661)
Peru seriously could give up some smash and grab to New Zealand. That would be amazing.

Italy and Chile seem well better than the normal best-that-didn't make it.
   155. Howie Menckel Posted: November 14, 2017 at 12:53 AM (#5575724)

Howie is 100 pct Irish and Mrs Howie is 50 Swedish, 50 Irish

so we are a quarter of the way thru
   156. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 02:53 PM (#5576104)
This is almost literally the worst possible start for Ireland--an early Ireland goal. Because now they're going to try to defend the 1-0 for 80+ minutes, inevitably give up a goal 75 minutes in, scramble the last 15 minutes to scores a second, and go out on away goals.

Yes, I am able to turn a goal for Ireland into a disastrous situation...
   157. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 14, 2017 at 02:54 PM (#5576105)
Ireland on the board! I was just about to say that whatever happens the atmosphere won’t be blamed but after the goal it’s even louder.
   158. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:02 PM (#5576112)
It's such a long way to defend a 1-0..
   159. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:11 PM (#5576121)
I have to say the 20 minutes since the goal have supported TE’s position. They already look like they are losing their shape.
   160. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:14 PM (#5576124)
I have to say the 20 minutes since the goal have supported TE’s position. They already look like they are losing their shape.

I'm too lazy to look, but in my memory every single time (especially away) we've scored an early goal we go turtle/bus-parking and it's always come back to bite us.

And there you go. 1-1.
   161. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:15 PM (#5576127)
And that was clown shoes.
   162. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:18 PM (#5576130)
2-1 Denmark

Yup. Like I said. Worst possible start for Ireland. They were never, ever, ever gonna win a game where they scored first 5 minutes in.
   163. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:20 PM (#5576135)
Well, they might as well lose 6-1 now--bring on Hoolahan, play a back 3, go for it--I don't know when Ireland last scored 3 in a match, so really this is already a half-lost cause.

Bah.
   164. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:32 PM (#5576151)
Well, gotta throw the kitchen sink at this. No sense caring about defense now. Go 3-5-2 and roll the dice.
   165. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:44 PM (#5576170)
I don't know when Ireland last scored 3 in a match, so really this is already a half-lost cause.

Against Moldova, October 2016. This may be a bit more difficult.
   166. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 03:48 PM (#5576179)
Thanks, vortex. I should have clarified "when was the last time they scored 3 goals against a non-bottom qualifying team"

Hoolahan and McGeady on... Long will probably come on late. At least they're gonna try to go down swinging.
   167. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:03 PM (#5576203)
Good-bye Ireland. Fare thee well.
   168. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:13 PM (#5576209)
McKennie with a debut goal!
   169. Textbook Editor Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:15 PM (#5576212)
<sigh>

And, selfishly, as a Spurs fan I would have preferred Eriksen get a rest this summer...
   170. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:23 PM (#5576216)
ANOTHER goal for a young American!

Unfortunately, it's Horvath, the keeper and it counts for Portugal ...

(hmmm, not sure from the MBM whether that will on o.g. or not .... but it's 1-1)
   171. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: November 14, 2017 at 04:37 PM (#5576226)
Eriksen's third goal is very satisfying. That was a rocket.
   172. PepTech Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:20 PM (#5576253)
Someone reads this forum: US Soccer exploring games...
The U.S. Soccer Federation and Soccer United Marketing are looking into the possibility of hosting pre-World Cup matches involving the United States, Italy, Netherlands, Ghana and Chile, sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.

Sources indicated that talks are in the exploratory stage, so it is unclear at the moment if an actual tournament will be held involving the above-mentioned teams or just a series of friendlies.
I suppose it is *possible* that someone else thought of this independently.
   173. PepTech Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:32 PM (#5576263)
Also, I could waste almost an entire day with this thing: World Cup Draw Simulator! Some fun groups first time out:

Group A
Russia
Uruguay
Iceland
Japan

Group E
Germany
Spain
Costa Rica
Saudi Arabia

Group G
Poland
Croatia
Tunisia
Panama

I dunno, I ran it a few times and didn't come across any Groups of Death. Most have either a clear 1-2 or look like Group A above. Not terribly impressed with the bottom half of the draw this time around; Pot 2 teams are already salivating for Group A...
   174. Baldrick Posted: November 14, 2017 at 05:59 PM (#5576286)
The new seeding system pretty much guarantees no true group of death. There are plenty of decent teams in pot 3, but none that are terrifying.
   175. PepTech Posted: November 14, 2017 at 06:19 PM (#5576292)
Baldrick - I missed the memo. How does it differ from previous cups?
   176. Copronymus Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:08 PM (#5576306)
Yeah, pots 3 and 4 don't have a whole lot of teams that look that terrifying enough for a Group of Death. 3 in particular is three middling UEFA teams (two that only got in via playoff and one that is almost certainly overachieving just to make it in), three CAF teams that did OK but not amazing in qualifying, a CONCACAF team that got in by clowning on a US team that was in retrospect pretty poor, and an AFC team with more 0-0 draws than wins by more than one goal. 4 at least has some teams that consistently scored in qualifying, like Japan and Saudi Arabia, plus Morocco, which didn't allow a goal in its qualifying group.

What's the most competitive group you could assemble? Germany-Spain-Senegal-Japan or something? It's not exactly Germany-Portugal-Ghana-US from last time.
   177. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:08 PM (#5576307)
I don’t know, I think there are a few interesting possibilities. Denmark, Iceland, Sweden and Costa Rica are good enough to cause problems. Also both Russia and Poland are weak enough as pot one teams to open those groups up.
   178. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 14, 2017 at 07:52 PM (#5576333)
Denmark, Iceland, Sweden and Costa Rica are good enough to cause problems.

Quite. Costa Rica won their group at the last World Cup.
   179. Baldrick Posted: November 14, 2017 at 08:43 PM (#5576360)
Baldrick - I missed the memo. How does it differ from previous cups?

Previous cups have divided teams by region, except for the seeded teams in Pot 1. All the CONCACAF teams, for instance, might get grouped with the CAF teams, while South America and Asia shared a pot. It meant that you could theoretically get three teams in the 10-15 range--who weren't quite good enough to get seeded but are WAY better than some of the others in their group--all in the same group with a Brazil or Germany.

Now, they're just going straight FIFA ranking the whole way down. Since FIFA ranking isn't perfect, there will certainly be some groups that are tougher than others. But it's quite a bit safer for the top teams now.
   180. Sean Forman Posted: November 14, 2017 at 10:44 PM (#5576402)
Watched the first half and much of the 2nd of the USMNT friendly. My feeling is that the US probably won the xG battle and definitely had the better goal. The Horvath mistake was a howler. He's had a few of those unfortunately for club as well. I feel relatively confident that one of Hamid, Horvath, Jesse Gonzalez, Zach Steffen or somebody else will take a leap and we'll get a top notch keeper.

McKennie is just a pest all over the field. The first 20 minutes were amazing for the pressing the US was doing. It was completely unsettling Portugal.

Tyler Adams came very close to scoring a header in the 2nd half and McKennie had another on a corner off the cross bar and Brooks scored a header on a corner at the end of the first half, but it was called back on a push that looked awfully weak. Miazga and Brooks started in central defense and then CCV replaced Brooks. All three looked really good from what I saw.

Played a 4-1-4-1 with Danny Williams as the DM and then Acosta and McKennie as #8's and Adams and Agudelo as wide mids. Sapong up front who played his ass off.

Hopefully Acosta and Adams can get moves to Europe and Jonathan Gonzalez will stay committed to the US and we'll have some world class mids for the next decade.
   181. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 15, 2017 at 09:22 PM (#5576941)
Last competitive international until June.
   182. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 15, 2017 at 11:14 PM (#5576998)
First World Cup draw simulator with the whole field official...Groups C and D look fun.

GROUP A
RUSSIA
COLOMBIA
SWEDEN
MOROCCO

GROUP B
PORTUGAL
CROATIA
TUNISIA
SAUDI ARABIA

GROUP C
ARGENTINA
MEXICO
ICELAND
NIGERIA

GROUP D
GERMANY
PERU
DENMARK
AUSTRALIA

GROUP E
POLAND
URUGUAY
IRAN
PANAMA

GROUP F
BELGIUM
SPAIN
SENEGAL
JAPAN

GROUP G
FRANCE
ENGLAND
EGYPT
KOREA

GROUP H
BRAZIL
SWITZERLAND
COSTA RICA
SERBIA
   183. Howie Menckel Posted: November 15, 2017 at 11:48 PM (#5577016)
Ireland is not the Cleveland Browns of World Cup soccer, so who is?

and which NFL team is Ireland?

more comparisons invited, including Italy
:)
   184. Jose is an Absurd Doubles Machine Posted: November 15, 2017 at 11:57 PM (#5577026)
Scotland are the Browns, just full on suck. The Irish are the Indians, close but in cigar. Italy are the New Jersey Devils, sometimes they win but so god awful boring.
   185. jmurph Posted: November 16, 2017 at 09:20 AM (#5577121)
Last competitive international until June.

Thank the soccer gods.
   186. Textbook Editor Posted: November 16, 2017 at 09:39 AM (#5577140)
The thing about Ireland is that they're really sort of stuck now. They've played negative, pragmatic football since Trappatoni and the 2010 WCQ, and so there's a whole generation of players where that's really all they know. And a whole generation now retiring (or who should retire). To be honest, they'd be better off getting a new manager without a flashy "name," bedding in the kids they do have during the Euros Qualifying--even if they don't qualify--so they have experience going into 2022, where--in theory, I think--more than 32 teams are going to make it and so, in theory, they'd have a realistic shot at a UEFA spot.

Ireland's too small to really be in the mix every campaign, but with the expanded Euros, the worry here is they'll start qualifying for those every 4 years playing pragmatic, negative soccer, call it a win because they qualified, get knocked out in every group stage, and then never make even an expanded WC. There's a very real chance Ireland spirals out into the abyss here and turns into... Scotland.

***Of course, depending on how Brexit plays out, I suppose there is always out there the possibility of a unified Ireland team in the next 10 years or so, which would change the calculus a bit (though probably not a great deal)***
   187. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 18, 2017 at 07:36 AM (#5578314)
4:30 AM ... perfect time to start the weekend!
   188. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 18, 2017 at 08:39 AM (#5578320)
I think I should have stayed in bed ...
   189. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 18, 2017 at 09:00 AM (#5578321)
Son's lack of time on the field this season has annoyed me.
   190. OPS+ Posted: November 18, 2017 at 09:27 AM (#5578322)

I agree, but my guess is that he'll be starting against Dortmund this week.
   191. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM (#5578326)

Sissoko's amount of time on the field this season has annoyed me ...

Even if Winks wasn't fit to start, he should have been the first sub.

Poch can't sub for ####.
   192. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM (#5578330)
Well, Stones will be out for a while ...
   193. Baldrick Posted: November 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM (#5578339)
Last competitive international* until June.

*Men's
   194. Textbook Editor Posted: November 18, 2017 at 02:21 PM (#5578383)
Sissoko's amount of time on the field this season has annoyed me ...

I really don't get the Sissoko love by Poch. I mean, I get that with Toby out you lose the ability to play Dier with Dembele, and he feels you can't play Winks and Dembele together in front of a back 3 but... Yeesh. Sissoko's just so very poor on the ball and constantly makes poor decisions (usually lingering on the ball too much like one of my U13 guys). I'd MUCH rather roll the dice with a Dembele/Winks pivot (which at least gives you passes forward out of both slots) than play Sissoko.

My only guess is Poch didn't want to go to a back 4 with Trippier/Davies and Sanchez/Jan as the CB because he feared being beaten on pace down the wings. Of course, in that scenario Dier covers those cracks playing DM and you don't need Sissoko on the pitch (and could have started Son instead)...

It was a frustrating game. That said, I suspect that's the poorest we'll play for quite a while (though it really showed how much we miss Toby). And Lamela went 60 min in a U23 game today! Having him back gives us a lot more options going forward the rest of the season (assuming he can stay healthy).
   195. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 18, 2017 at 04:46 PM (#5578411)
and he feels you can't play Winks and Dembele together in front of a back 3 but..

Actually, I think Poch is fine with doing that ... I think this was a fitness thing, Moose could go 60, Winks could go 60, Sissoko could go 90, so we got 90 minutes of shitty Moussa and a mix of the other two.

Ugh.

Just shows how shallow Spurs' depth is ...
   196. Nose army. Beef diaper? (CoB) Posted: November 18, 2017 at 04:47 PM (#5578412)
because he feared being beaten on pace down the wings.

If that was the case, he should have started Aurier & Rose ...
   197. SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYY Posted: November 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM (#5578454)
That game for Arsenal is like when I was a kid and I’d get an A in some class. All that did was convince my parents I should be doing better in all my classes and the joy of the A would be offset by the C in algebra.

It does seem like Arsenal gets this treatment from the media a lot, and I think it's a bit unfair and unrealistic. Arsenal seems to be judged on their best and worst games more than most - people seem to really act like they should just play their best game 38 matches a season.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.