Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 20, 2017

OT: Winter Soccer Thread

November 4 Borussia Dortmund v. Bayern Munich
November 5 Chelsea v. ManU
November 9 & 12 - Northern Ireland v. Switzerland/Croatia v. Greece
November 10 &  13 - Sweden v. Italy
November 11 & 14 - Denmark v. Ireland
November 10 & 15 - Honduras v. Australia
November 11 & 15 - New Zealand v. Peru
November 14 - Portugal v. USA (friendly #&!^#&)
December 1 - Napoli v. Juventus
December 10 - ManU v. ManCity
December 11 - Champions League Round of 16 draw
December 20 - Real Madrid v. Barcelona (how contentious will this be given the political climate?)

Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: October 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM | 2146 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: off topic, soccer

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›
   601. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: January 28, 2018 at 10:46 PM (#5614774)
I thought Sapong and Morris looked good in the first half. Hamid didn’t have much to do but made a terrific save at the end of the half. He also had one fairly questionable bit of ball handling outside the box.
   602. spivey Posted: January 28, 2018 at 11:10 PM (#5614779)
The challenge on Leroy Sane making the rounds today is pretty disgraceful. The Cardiff thug that fouled him got away with only a yellow, because Lee Mason is a fat ass that shouldn't be officiating an athletic sport.

Over the last month or two teams have really been dirty against City. As a Tottenham fan, they played quite dirty against them, and it's kinda sad to watch teams do it. I'm worried by the end of the year they won't be healthy but hey at least it'll prove you have to play tough to play in England.

The refs need to be protecting the players more than they're doing.
   603. Sean Forman Posted: January 29, 2018 at 10:09 AM (#5614871)

Over the last month or two teams have really been dirty against City. As a Tottenham fan, they played quite dirty against them, and it's kinda sad to watch teams do it. I'm worried by the end of the year they won't be healthy but hey at least it'll prove you have to play tough to play in England.

The refs need to be protecting the players more than they're doing.

I remember watching a Bundesliga match earlier this year and there was almost that exact same challenge and live it sure looked like a yellow card, but with VAR they changed it to a red. I'm generally not a big fan of video review for, but for red/yellow cards I think it could be a big help. Those calls are such a big deal in the flow of the game and are so bang-bang, that I think they are nearly impossible to call correctly, and punishing them at the time correctly has a big impact on how many challenges like that happen in general.
   604. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: January 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM (#5614877)
Those calls are such a big deal in the flow of the game and are so bang-bang, that I think they are nearly impossible to call correctly, and punishing them at the time correctly has a big impact on how many challenges like that happen in general.

This is my feeling too. Watching the game live it looked like a clear yellow card, a bit cynical but nothing too bad. Watching the replay you could see the player get his leg up high with the studs up on Sane and it should've been red.
   605. jmurph Posted: January 29, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5614887)
Anyone have any thoughts on Manchester City's new (soon to be) signing, Aymeric Laporte? I'm reasonably sure I've never seen Bilbao play.

I'm frankly excited for another warm body for the backline, and the reports seem very positive.
   606. Mefisto Posted: January 29, 2018 at 11:31 AM (#5614906)
Holy ####. I just saw that tackle. That deserves a very long ban.
   607. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: January 29, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5614911)
I'm frankly excited for another warm body for the backline, and the reports seem very positive.

Is there concern about that backline? Not to say they aren't good, City is terrific, but the backline does seem to get a bit wonky when pressured. I feel like they give up a lot of good chances relative to possession and that is going to be an issue for them in the CL.

I would still say they should be the favorites in every competition they are a part of but I'm less certain of them in the Champions League than I was when the Group stage ended.
   608. jmurph Posted: January 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM (#5614919)
Is there concern about that backline? Not to say they aren't good, City is terrific, but the backline does seem to get a bit wonky when pressured. I feel like they give up a lot of good chances relative to possession and that is going to be an issue for them in the CL.

I would still say they should be the favorites in every competition they are a part of but I'm less certain of them in the Champions League than I was when the Group stage ended.

When fully healthy I'm fine with it. Could always be better, obviously, it's their one iffy area. But Otamendi has been taxed this year, I think, given the injuries to everyone else. So I'm just happy to have some more depth at this point.
   609. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 29, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5615309)
Kompany is never healthy though.

Aubameyang to Arsenal, Batshuayi to Dortmund and Giroud to Chelsea. Somehow Arsenal will be spending the most money - by a lot.

610. aberg Posted: January 29, 2018 at 06:18 PM (#5615342)
A week ago, I proposed this to my friend: Chelsea gets Dzeko, Roma gets Giroud and 10m from Chelsea, BVB gets Bashuayi and 30m from Arsenal, Arsenal gets Aubameyang. Looks like the values weren't all that far off. Bats being loaned complicates it.
   611. spivey Posted: January 29, 2018 at 10:21 PM (#5615484)
Dortmund seems to take a big step back. I'm not sure Batshuayi is actually that good. Like, I feel like there might be 10-15 strikers in England better than him.
   612. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: January 30, 2018 at 09:14 AM (#5615623)
I disagree with that, I think Batshuayi is very good and underappreciated. He's got 10 goals this year and isn't a regular starter. I think a guy who can finish at 24 is someone who can grow into the finer points of the game. From what I've read Aubameyang wasn't interested in staying and Bashuayi I think is a very reasonable offset.
   613. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 30, 2018 at 09:22 AM (#5615632)
Like, I feel like there might be 10-15 strikers in England better than him.

And Chelsea are linked to every one of them! I also don't get why Chelsea are trying to replace Batshuayi whit players who don't seem, to me, to be better than him.

Lucas Moura is in London! It's happening! really, though, this is the biggest winter signing Spurs have made ever.
   614. jmurph Posted: January 30, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5615656)
Lucas Moura is in London! It's happening! really, though, this is the biggest winter signing Spurs have made ever.

Pshhhh, how quickly you forget the triumphant return of Robbie Keane just 6 months after they sold him!
   615. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 30, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5615662)
Pshhhh, how quickly you forget the triumphant return of Robbie Keane just 6 months after they sold him!

That was ONLY 16 million. (What is this inflation of which you speak? Never heard of it.)
   616. jmurph Posted: January 30, 2018 at 09:59 AM (#5615663)
Oh I meant big as in BIG, not big $$$. Surely nothing was bigger than that weird saga!
   617. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 30, 2018 at 10:04 AM (#5615667)
Oh I meant big as in BIG, not big $$$. Surely nothing was bigger than that weird saga!

Pre-Kane, weird striker dramas is what defined the club. Speaking of which, I wasted time yesterday on a Sporcle about the top 31 scorers for Tottenham in the PL and I was shocked to realize Crouch only scored 12 times in the league for Spurs. I would have bet money is what more than that. Weird. I guess because he scored some big ones--at Man City, at AC Milan--that he seemed more prolific than he was.
   618. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 30, 2018 at 10:20 AM (#5615677)
It seems like Chelsea wants a target-man type, to be a plan B. It would seem to be a sound strategy - needing a equalizer or go-ahead goal late in a game and start pumping in crosses and long balls. This striker probably wouldn't even play much. Barcelona had this plan too when they bought Zlatan. Dzeko would seem like the best of the bunch they've been linked with, but Giroud wouldn't be a bad choice either.
   619. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 30, 2018 at 10:48 AM (#5615718)
It seems like Chelsea wants a target-man type, to be a plan B. It would seem to be a sound strategy - needing a equalizer or go-ahead goal late in a game and start pumping in crosses and long balls. This striker probably wouldn't even play much. Barcelona had this plan too when they bought Zlatan. Dzeko would seem like the best of the bunch they've been linked with, but Giroud wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Daniel Levy would be happy to exchange a used pre-owned Llorente for a small pile of cash ...

620. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 30, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5615738)
City have reportedly bid £59m for Riyad Mahrez.

[edit] And now Leicester are saying they haven't.
   621. spivey Posted: January 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5615769)
I like Mahrez for City a lot. He's a world class talent and it's kinda time for him to move to a bigger club.

City have a spot for him. Now he may not start but he would with Sane out. They also are pretty weak at wing depth (for a club like City), and he's also got the ability to play a bit more inside and maybe take over for Silva in a couple of years when Silva's too old to do it anymore.
   622. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 30, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5615772)
From the Guardian about Swansea City:

The predictable news of Roque Mesa’s loan move to Sevilla will be greeted with dismay by many Swansea City supporters, especially given that the Welsh club has yet to make a signing in this transfer window. Mesa joined from Las Palmas for £11m last summer and was viewed by the club (there’s a notable distinction to be drawn there) as a long-term successor to Leon Britton. However, Paul Clement, Swansea’s manager at the time, never seemed truly convinced by Mesa and was reluctant to play him.

Carlos Carvalhal, Clement’s replacement, reached the same conclusion. As for Mesa, he will probably be grateful to escape, not least because he is swapping a relegation battle for Champions League football. A final thought on the goings on at the Liberty Stadium: Swansea have spent £30m-plus on four players - Mesa, Borja Baston, Jefferson Montero and Jordi Amat - who are currently all out on loan. That is a criminal waste of money for a club with their resources.

Once again, the Yanks don't know what they're doing in England. Weird that Mesa is good enough for Sevilla but not for Swansea.
   623. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 30, 2018 at 12:17 PM (#5615810)
Giroud to Chelsea for 17.5 million.
   624. jmurph Posted: January 30, 2018 at 12:20 PM (#5615815)
Arsenal, man, I don't know.
   625. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 30, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5615817)
Which is funnier, that Arsenal's new signing marginalizes the guy they just spent 40 million on in the summer or that they did Chelsea, a competitor for a top 4 spot, a solid?
   626. jmurph Posted: January 30, 2018 at 12:22 PM (#5615819)
Sanchez to United, too. Weird, weird month for them.
   627. jmurph Posted: January 30, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5615850)
Whoa, Sky says Mahrez is now requesting a transfer to force it through. Didn't see this one coming.
   628. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 30, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5615859)
I dunno, it sure seems like Mahrez has just been waiting for a bigger team to come in for him ever since they won the title. I do wonder if it's been left too late in the window for Leicester to consider selling him though, request or not.
   629. Sean Forman Posted: January 30, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5615955)
   630. Sean Forman Posted: January 30, 2018 at 02:40 PM (#5615962)
I do wonder if it's been left too late in the window for Leicester to consider selling him though, request or not.

Does it matter? I guess they might miss Europa if he leaves, but they aren't going to top 4 and are safe from relegation.
   631. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: January 30, 2018 at 02:58 PM (#5615980)
Twitter thread on future players for the USMNT

Some reasons for optimism

Good stuff. The big thing is how these guys are going to develop. One of the fundamental flaws with this year's qualifying group is the lack of in their prime players. You either had guys like Howard, Bradley and Dempsey with a lot of miles on them or guys like Pulisic or even Yedlin who have bright futures but aren't at their best yet. I think a team with those guys in their mid-20s is awfully good and comfortably qualifies and probably has a good chance to advance.

With all that said who is going to be in charge? I thought Tab Ramos had gotten the job but his track record seems uninspiring. I assume that decision gets made once the vote happens.
   632. jmurph Posted: January 30, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5616054)
Arsenal, man, I don't know.

I repeat.
   633. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: January 30, 2018 at 10:57 PM (#5616262)
So, after just one game the betting odds and 538 basically now agree on Arsenal: betting odds have them at 8% for top 4 and 538 dropped them all the way down to 10% (from 23%).

The big disagreement remaining now is that 538 loves Liverpool but hates ManU (relatively speaking). 538 has Liverpool at 87% to make top 4 and ManU at 79%. Betting odds have almost the reverse: ManU at 91% and Liverpool at 77%.
   634. jmurph Posted: January 31, 2018 at 10:25 AM (#5616405)
As a City fan I endorse every word of this:
Michael Caley @MC_of_A
Mahrez is good but I also do not understand why a two month injury gap is being filled by an eight-figure transfer.
   635. I am going to be Frank Posted: January 31, 2018 at 11:01 AM (#5616427)
Mahrez can help them with depth too. He'd also be Champions League eligible.

While most of us love playing FM and have to worry about budgets doing so, spending on "unnecessary" players is only an issue if it precludes a team from buying someone else. The Sheikh doesn't seem to care about how much Pep is spending and it looks like he will continue to let him spend money, so I don't see why City fans should care. If the worry is about team chemistry, then that could be a concern.

The stats hate Man U because the defense is utter crap. A lot of the metrics say that United allow way too many shots and De Gea's save percentage is unsustainable.
Also the schedule is incorporated into that statistical assessment. Man U is very popular so there is a lot of betting on them, skewing the odds a bit.
   636. Mefisto Posted: January 31, 2018 at 12:52 PM (#5616516)
Looks like the Mahrez deal fell through. I guess Mahrez pissed off Leicester for nothing.
   637. jmurph Posted: January 31, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5616585)
If the worry is about team chemistry, then that could be a concern.

It's chemistry-ish, but really fit and playing time. I'm also worried he's planning to push Aguero out the door this year and I'm not ready for that.
   638. vortex of dissipation Posted: January 31, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5616641)
Serves me right for tuning in a minute late for the start of Spurs/ManU...
   639. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: January 31, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5616650)
Getting rid of Aguero at the of this year looks like a move that fits the old "better one year early rather than one year late" idea.

I will declare that "a hell of a start" at Wembley.
   640. jmurph Posted: January 31, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5616672)
Getting rid of Aguero at the of this year looks like a move that fits the old "better one year early rather than one year late" idea.

Sure, but he's still good (3rd in the league in goals scored). I'm not saying he doesn't need rotation, he definitely does.

Also I'm not rational on him. He's only got one more season left, and I'd like him to be able to finish it out and then do whatever he wants (given previous discussion of money in/out not being particularly important to City right now).
   641. jmurph Posted: January 31, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5616731)
Those of us who thought Theo would be okay at Everton have been proven definitely correct after today and there will be no further evidence accepted no siree.
   642. jmurph Posted: January 31, 2018 at 04:22 PM (#5616740)
Conte isn't going to finish the season, is he?
   643. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 31, 2018 at 04:29 PM (#5616749)
Eriksen has been so good today.

Fellaini gets subbed off basically immediately after being subbed on. The ####?
   644. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: January 31, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5616777)
That was a weird second half. Manchester United didn't even seem like they were trying.
   645. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: January 31, 2018 at 04:54 PM (#5616779)
Either Fellaini was hurt or Mourinho got his distraction.

My Bournemouth supporting mate won't stop e-mailing me!
   646. Sean Forman Posted: January 31, 2018 at 07:00 PM (#5616852)
Fellaini was clearly laboring, so I think it was due to injury.

I would be against giving Aguero another contract and I guess I would ask him whether he wants to run down the two remaining years (he's signed through 2020) and make a free transfer then or transfer now.

The back four and GK are rock solid now. Kompany will run down his contract next season and probably only see spot starts.

I'm really most concerned about them finding cover for Fernandinho. Touré is gone after this season. Maybe Zinchenko is being groomed for there.

I saw on twitter than the City average starting 11 this year is two years younger than last year's.
   647. spivey Posted: January 31, 2018 at 08:52 PM (#5616914)
As good as City are they aren't a particularly athletic team especially with Jesus/Sane out. They really do need a third winger, at least at the Willian level. You could argue Bernardo Silva is that level, and maybe he is, but I prefer Willian's athleticism and defense. Fernandinho is somehow way better than he was 3 years ago. At least that's how it feels to me.

I kind felt the same way about Xabi Alonso.

Today's win against Man U was massive. Man U and Chelsea feel like the two most vulnerable teams to me in the top 5. Maybe some of that is Tottenham wishcasting, but I really do think their team is better than the others.

I am surprised more of the top teams aren't in for Mahrez. I guess Man U, sure, they have a bunch of young attacking players I rate and some of them just need to make good. But he'd fit in pretty well at Chelsea imo. He's no Crouchy, but he's good. I dunno if Leicester are just holding out for stupid transfer money but he really does seem worth 50-60 million pounds in today's game.
   648. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: January 31, 2018 at 09:56 PM (#5616950)
but he really does seem worth 50-60 million pounds in today's game.

Supposedly that's what City were floating as a bid, but Leicester came back with somewhere around 90+.
   649. GGC Posted: February 01, 2018 at 06:26 AM (#5617039)
I was flipping around the radio stations on my commute home the last two nights and I happened to catch a Portuguese station out of New Bedford, Mass broadcasting Primera Liga games. I'm sure there's a reason Round 20 of the Portuguese Premier League was played Monday thru Wednesday, but I'm not sure of the right way to ask Google that question and get a good answer.
   650. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 01, 2018 at 08:20 AM (#5617051)
Reason # 27 West Ham are never any good

Henry told the Mail “it’s nothing racist at all”. He added: “It’s just sometimes they can have a bad attitude. We had problems with Sakho, with Diafra Sakho. We find that when they are not in the team they cause mayhem. It’s nothing against the African race at all.”
   651. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 01, 2018 at 08:57 AM (#5617066)
Fellaini out 2 months with a knee injury, so Mourinho wasn't just trying to humiliate him. Who will they lump it up to now? Too late to get Crouchaldinho.

Is Antonio Conte losing his mind? Asking for a friend.
   652. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: February 01, 2018 at 11:20 AM (#5617166)
Henry told the Mail “it’s nothing racist at all”. He added: “It’s just sometimes they can have a bad attitude. We had problems with Sakho, with Diafra Sakho. We find that when they are not in the team they cause mayhem. It’s nothing against the African race at all.”

Oh good, I thought it was going to be something racist.
   653. jmurph Posted: February 01, 2018 at 12:03 PM (#5617226)
As good as City are they aren't a particularly athletic team especially with Jesus/Sane out. They really do need a third winger, at least at the Willian level.

They have a 15 point lead in the league, I think they can probably afford to work in some 18 year olds on occasion.

I would be against giving Aguero another contract and I guess I would ask him whether he wants to run down the two remaining years (he's signed through 2020) and make a free transfer then or transfer now.

Oh I missed that they added another year just a couple weeks ago. I would also be against a new contract, I'd just like to see him finish it out before heading back to Argentina (which he has said previously was his plan). And again he's obviously still good enough to start on a regular basis in the Premier and Champions Leagues.
   654. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 01, 2018 at 02:09 PM (#5617406)
West Ham's African players unhappy shocker

I didn't realize Henry is Moyes' guy. I feel very bad about myself that I once considered Moyes an option for Tottenham as manager. This was when Redknapp was clearly on the outs. Thank god I'm not in charge of the club.
   655. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 03, 2018 at 03:09 PM (#5618723)
The stats hate Man U because the defense is utter crap. A lot of the metrics say that United allow way too many shots and De Gea's save percentage is unsustainable.
Also the schedule is incorporated into that statistical assessment. Man U is very popular so there is a lot of betting on them, skewing the odds a bit.

Actually its ManU's offense, more than its defense, that 538 hates. Arsenal has a higher overall rating than ManU with a significantly worse defensive rating. 538 just loves Liverpool overall (rated only slightly worse than City) and hates ManU overall (worst of the top 6). Neither of those seem particularly accurate.

ManU's popularity wont move the betting odds much--the houses are repeat players and can afford to take a loss on any given line, so tend not to move much based on the weight of public opinion (they do move a little).

The schedule I'll give you. Bettors tend to underrate it and 538 certainly takes it fully into account.
   656. spivey Posted: February 03, 2018 at 04:40 PM (#5618762)
City look tired. They need to start rotating some guys, they don't look like the same team that absolutely throttled Tottenham and, really, much of the league.
   657. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 04, 2018 at 01:24 PM (#5619005)
Well, that was a proper bonkers 2nd half at Anfield ...

Spurs got very lucky with their "penalties".

Wanyama could try that shot 100 times and make it ... on the 100th try ... maybe.

What a second goal from Salah.
   658. spivey Posted: February 04, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5619019)
In terms of how the overall game was played I think a point each is about fair, but Tottenham have to feel pretty lucky getting 2 soft penalties inside of the last 10 minutes of the game.

Tottenham really looked outstanding in the second half of the game, though.
   659. spivey Posted: February 04, 2018 at 01:49 PM (#5619026)
Mo Salah is so ####### good. I think he's up there with Messi and KDB. He's leagues better than Kane or anyone on Tottenham imo.

Really happy to see Wanyama play well in his short time on the field. He's not a great passer or offensive player, but I far prefer him off the bench to Sissoko. At least Wanyama is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world. You'll always get that with him.
   660. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 04, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5619046)
I don't think the second penalty was that soft. And I don't think there would be nearly as much controversy over the second pen if the first pen hadn't happened.

Vertonghen was amazing today until his baffling decision not to defend Salah on the second goal. Sanchez was pretty bad. Come back Toby!
   661. spivey Posted: February 04, 2018 at 02:55 PM (#5619053)
Vertonghen was amazing today until his baffling decision not to defend Salah on the second goal. Sanchez was pretty bad. Come back Toby!

Agree with all this. I've generally been a fan of Sanchez this year. At least in terms of straight defending. I don't think he has the skills and decision making on the ball to really trust him playing out. I don't mind him in a back 5 as he's asked to do less. Obviously he takes on way more responsibility with Toby out. I still want him on the team and in rotations, but wouldn't mind seeing his minutes shrink a bit.

You know who else sucked today? Dier. I was a big fan of his the last couple of years, but he's really sucked it up a few of the games I've seen this year.

Dembele was Dembele, and all-told is a very solid squad player. But man, I would like to see Tottenham go out and get a 50 million pound holding midfielder that can play the long balls and attacking passes. I though Dier showed some glimpses of that, but I feel like he's taken a step back. Dembele just doesn't keep his head up. He's a remarkably good dribbler due to his strength, but he can really slow down some counter attacks.
   662. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 04, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5619059)
Come back Toby!

I believe we'll see him on Wednesday ...
   663. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 04, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5619071)
Agree with all this. I've generally been a fan of Sanchez this year. At least in terms of straight defending. I don't think he has the skills and decision making on the ball to really trust him playing out. I don't mind him in a back 5 as he's asked to do less. Obviously he takes on way more responsibility with Toby out. I still want him on the team and in rotations, but wouldn't mind seeing his minutes shrink a bit.

Yeah, Sanchez has been generally good this year, but today was a real stinker. To be fair, he's still only 21, and he's done very well for being thrown right into the team.
   664. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: February 04, 2018 at 04:07 PM (#5619077)
As a side note the penalty that Crystal Palace got today for their goal is what refs need to call to eliminate diving. Yeah it wasn’t harsh but the player grabbed Benteke and kept him from making a play in a scoring position. The announcers called it “soft” but the idea that it was a questionable call is why guys dive. They know that 90% of the time if they don’t go down the call won’t get made.
   665. jmurph Posted: February 05, 2018 at 09:45 AM (#5619609)
As a side note the penalty that Crystal Palace got today for their goal is what refs need to call to eliminate diving. Yeah it wasn’t harsh but the player grabbed Benteke and kept him from making a play in a scoring position. The announcers called it “soft” but the idea that it was a questionable call is why guys dive. They know that 90% of the time if they don’t go down the call won’t get made.

But then we have the Kane penalty yesterday, which I thought was a clear dive. These things are basically impossible to legislate even after the fact.
   666. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 05, 2018 at 04:47 PM (#5619957)
Hmmm, at this rate, does Conte even make it to the summer?
   667. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: February 05, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5619961)
I think the question is does Conte make it to Tuesday?
   668. spivey Posted: February 05, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5619969)
I think Conte's done. I mean, I really think they have the worst talent of the top 5 teams. Kante and Hazard are world beaters, and I still rate some of their other defensive guys and Courtouis, but their attacking play is just ####### terrible.

Willian is a fine player, but he's just a soldier, he's not going to get a lot of open field goals. Pedro had the dead-cat bounce last year, but I don't see him as as guy that should be playing at a top 10 team in Europe anymore. Fabregas is less athletic than I am. Bakayoko doesn't have a final product to his game (yet?). I just don't see much in the way of offense on this team.

Hell, Arsenal's front 4 of Ozil/Lacazette/Auba/Mkhi seem well above this.

I dunno how much of this is to blame on Conte, the team he took over (really, he deserves an insane amount of credit for taking last year's team to a title), or them not spending quite as much as they needed to.

It's interesting, I actually rate Liverpool and Tottenham as clear #2 and 3 in the league right now (maybe even best with City's injuries and general fatigue, but City is clearly best when healthy). Man U had such a great start to the season that they're living off those early points, but more power to them. I think Mourinho also saw they needed another attacker to ensure they stay top 4.

Chelsea is probably my vote to finish 5th at this point. I suppose Hazard will peace out to Real Madrid if that happens.
   669. frannyzoo Posted: February 05, 2018 at 09:02 PM (#5620083)
Been a while...let's see...Chelsea (a badge I generally loathe) to start

Hazard to RM as obvious eventual replacement to you know who
Kante spells/replaces Busquets at Barca (this one is particularly exciting as one who really likes both of these players)
Willian is the underutilized player here, and would make a fabulous addition to many squads around the club world. How many mid/upper table teams could benefit from a world-class free-kick taker?
Pedro has always been a favorite of mine (you can't teach speed) and I'd love to see him at Sevilla, Villareal, or another team with winger need in the 2nd echelon of La Liga

I've followed Conte a while now, and he's crazy in the best possible way. Taking Matic from him, while not Busquets, was like stealing Marchisio, Pogba, or, almost, Pirlo, in terms of the holding mid who might regista, go box-to-box, etc. in a paradigmatic 3-5-2. In my opinion, Conte hasn't employed Kante in that role, one he (Kante) can grow into (having watched Leicester), and that's Conte's real mistake with Chelsea...well, in addition to being crazy, in a very good way. Not to mention the Russian thing and that Chelsea sucks, ultimately. There is that.

The read QED here is that Conte left Juve for the Italian National Team. Now's that's crazy.
   670. frannyzoo Posted: February 05, 2018 at 09:18 PM (#5620089)
And now that I finally figured out a long-time password problem, let me post far too often for a minute:

1. Barca, who I "don't like" because I'm a Mattress guy, i.e., Atleti fan, just plain sucked it up in a veritable moat at derby Espanyol and grabbed a point because they're the kind of team that wins this year's CL. Umtiti is the defensive difference between Barca and RM this year, and Pique hangs in there.
2. Atletico wins yet another game 1-0 in that most "squeaky bum" way that makes one wonder why they root for Simeone and Co. Still, that defense is amazing, and this one featured losing two defenders along the way. Ugliest team to root for? Maybe. Mourinho-esque ugliness? Yeah. It's like rooting for a mugging, but it has it charms. Of course, "we're" in the Europa League now, and I will absurdly root for that silverware in a few months, I imagine.

671. frannyzoo Posted: February 09, 2018 at 03:31 PM (#5622742)
It's only 40 minutes in, but between VAR and the on-field ref, this La Viola hosting Juve match is, to this point, the worst refereed in recent memory. Ghastly.

One aspect of this has been the loss of control for the ref caused by the VAR decision. That decision was so Dadaesque, so bizarre, that the young ref's confidence has evidently been shaken, leading to some equally strange subsequent decisions.
   672. I am going to be Frank Posted: February 09, 2018 at 04:09 PM (#5622769)
So Geoff CaSo Geoff Cameron lays into the US Soccer Federation. Nothing really earth shattering, but he obviously has a bigger voice than most and calls out Arena and the MLS

There is also a Harry Kane article from a couple days ago for all you Spurs people.
   673. JH (in DC) Posted: February 09, 2018 at 11:45 PM (#5622909)
I honestly thought the New York Times Cameron piece was far more biting than the Players Tribune piece. In both, he's both not wrong and wildly unsympathetic at the same time.

The USSF presidency race is fascinating and there's been a lot of good coverage. And to think that with a draw in Trinidad, a lot of the festering issues wouldn't have been litigated. If Carter or Cordeiro don't win on the first ballot, it's going to be a free-for-all. From everything I've read, I think I actually favor Steve Gans and I think he might end up a decent compromise between delegates who don't want to ratify the status quo, but don't feel they need to go as extreme in the other direction to Martino or even further out to Wynalda.
   674. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: February 10, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5622948)
Not entirely sure how Tottenham only scored 1 goal, but fortunately they barely held on.
   675. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 10, 2018 at 09:43 AM (#5622953)
I hope that was a game Wenger could really dive into.

sorry

Wenger will still blame the refs or the sheiks or Brexit but Spurs had their lunch today. If he thinks that Kane goal was the result of a foul he really is deluded. How long before Lacazette is playing for Brighton?
   676. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 10, 2018 at 09:55 AM (#5622958)
Wenger actually gives a gracious interview. I feel bad now. Sorry Arsene!
   677. spivey Posted: February 11, 2018 at 10:03 AM (#5623134)
If Tottenham and Liverpool keep playing like this, they could pretty reasonably finish 2nd.

Not that Tottenham is immune from goalless draws, but I almost am expecting Chelsea and Man U to not score a goal these days.
   678. spivey Posted: February 11, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5623203)
That pass from Firmino to set up Salah for the second goal was ####### unreal.

Liverpool's counter attack is unreal. Not to sound like broken record Lee Dixon, but Liverpool is at their most dangerous when they just hoof it long and have Mane and Salah chasing down one of your defenders who is facing their own goal. If you #### up, they're in on goal.
   679. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: February 12, 2018 at 01:19 PM (#5623596)
Champions League is back! Whoo!

Is there some historical reason why Europa games involving Russians tend not to be on Thursdays? Or is it just my imagination that there's a pattern there?
   680. AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: February 12, 2018 at 01:50 PM (#5623626)
La Liga holds a very small lead on the EPL in one measure of league strength (an ELO model, at http://clubelo.com/). One or the other league is likely to pull ahead over the next few weeks/months due to all the high profile games coming up in the CL and EL. LA Liga has been top dog in ELO for the past few years straight, with essentially no breaks. Since the Bundesliga's good run last year when they almost caught La Liga, they've been in a free fall and now are neck and neck with Serie A for a very distant third.
   681. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 12, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5623707)
Posted without comment:

3 min: Hegazi goes to the near post but Kane wildly clears. Evans keeps it alive from the right but Chelsea eventually clear. Meanwhile, Daniel Sturridge is sat on the Stamford Bridge turf ... this looks concerning, and he seemingly cannot continue.
   682. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 12, 2018 at 03:07 PM (#5623714)
Dammit, Shooty, you beat me to it!
   683. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 12, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5623723)
He has to be the most fragile footballer ever.
   684. Sean Forman Posted: February 12, 2018 at 11:55 PM (#5623992)
hampions League is back! Whoo!

w00t! I'll probably ditch City to watch Spurs. Very excited for RM vs PSG.
   685. JuanGone..except1game Posted: February 13, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5624147)
He has to be the most fragile footballer ever.

I was sure that letting Liverpool have him in '12 was going to haunt Chelsea b/c he clearly has the skill of a top striker, but his body was clearly not made for the grind of a professional athlete. His coming off made me sad :(
   686. jmurph Posted: February 13, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5624149)
I was sure that letting Liverpool have him in '12 was going to haunt Chelsea b/c he clearly has the skill of a top striker, but his body was clearly not made for the grind of a professional athlete. His coming off made me sad :(

That's how I felt when he left Manchester City originally.
   687. vortex of dissipation Posted: February 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5624228)
An article on ESPN notes that this was the 31st injury Sturridge has suffered since he signed with Liverpool. I was watching the match, and the moment he pulled up, I thought, "Oh, no, not again!" A shame to see a player with talent unable to use it...
   688. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 02:41 PM (#5624376)
As a Spurs and Torino fan, this will either be a nightmare or my greatest day of soccer fandom. Let's go! Lamela in for Son and Aurier in for Trippier. Poch electing to go with seasoned continental players in this one.
   689. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5624379)
Too bad for the Juventini Spurs don't have a horrific plane crash in their history they can make fun of.
   690. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 02:47 PM (#5624389)
Ah, so nightmare it is!
   691. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:02 PM (#5624408)
You ain't kidding ... I saw your post and flipped over to the Guardian MBM just in time to see: PENALTY!

And I think, that's not great, but 1-0 down isn't the end of the world ...

Then Higuain scores the penalty and I realize I missed the first goal.

Oh, Spurs.

[edit] Thing is, if they can nip a goal and come home down 2-1, they're not in the worst situation ... though there is the little problem with nicking a goal off Juve at the Allianz
   692. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:12 PM (#5624425)
This sounds stupid, but aside from the goals, Spurs have been better.
   693. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5624435)
Higuaín should have killed the tie there. Spurs have to keep pressing for that goal, though.
   694. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:20 PM (#5624440)
GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! Back in it!
   695. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5624443)
Stay composed now lads, the counterpunch is coming.
   696. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:22 PM (#5624447)
And there it is ... somehow I don't think this one's gonna end 2-1, though ...
   697. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5624453)
Juve reduced to hoofing it aimlessly!
   698. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:27 PM (#5624455)
Great chance for Alli. Damn.
   699. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5624460)
Pretty dirty from Benatia there.
   700. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: February 13, 2018 at 03:32 PM (#5624462)
Oh god damn it. #### this ####.
Page 7 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis
for his generous support.