Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 27, 2014

OT: Wrestling Thread November 2014

Given that the old wrestling thread got shut down, here is a new one that shamelessly links to my Hell in a Cell review!

aberg Posted: October 27, 2014 at 01:47 PM | 2034 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: wrestling

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 21 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 19 20 21
   2001. Chokeland Bill Posted: July 09, 2017 at 11:37 PM (#5490281)
Does attempted murder count as a heel turn?
   2002. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 10, 2017 at 12:44 AM (#5490295)
Not when Undertaker does it.
   2003. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM (#5490406)
I'm sure they'll find a way to justify it tonight. I see a lot of arguments on line that "Strowman did the same thing to him, so this is OK", but that's why it's not OK - that's the difference between your face and your heel. The heel does heelish things in order to win or hurt his opponent, while the face resists doing those things because they're wrong.

Given the way it played out, it's hard to see how this whole thing doesn't make the crowds love Strowman - he won the match, did nothing wrong, looked like a total badass, and got unfairly attacked for it as a result. I love Strowman. I want to see Strowman and Lesnar, or Strowman and Joe. Or better, Strowman, Lesnar, and Joe in a triple threat match at Summerslam. Give them 15 minutes to beat the hell out of each other.

2004. aberg Posted: July 10, 2017 at 01:09 PM (#5490480)
Strowman, Lesnar, and Joe in a triple threat match at Summerslam

Yup.

Last night continued the recent trend of PPVs that start out horribly and get really good in the second half.
   2005. Chokeland Bill Posted: July 14, 2017 at 01:17 PM (#5493627)
Dark news coming out of WWE today. Talking Smack has been canceled.
   2006. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 18, 2017 at 11:31 PM (#5495851)
My comment in the NPB thread just now got me thinking about legendary Japanese garbage wrestler Mr. Pogo and, sadly, I found that he died last month due to complications from spinal surgery.

Somewhere, I hope, Mitsuhiro Matsunaga is raising a barbed-wire baseball bat in Pogo's honor.
   2007. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: July 19, 2017 at 01:10 PM (#5496155)
I don't think Jason Jordan is ready for a serious push. While him & Gable could do some serious suplex & impressive power moves, they both looked awkward at times in the ring. Jordan particularly looked out of place much of the time. Maybe being singles wrestlers and not waiting for their tag partner to finish a move will help. At the very least I'm glad I won't have to hear "Ready, Willing and Gable" again
   2008. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 19, 2017 at 01:35 PM (#5496202)
It's a weird, soap opera-ish story line that seems out of place in the WWE today.

The best story would have been to have Angle be the long-lost father of... El Torito. Then have El Torito fight Vince's illegitimate son (Hornswoggle) for control of the company in WeeLC II at the next Wrestlemania.
   2009. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: July 19, 2017 at 01:49 PM (#5496219)
El Torito! He needs to rematch Bo Dallas haha

The Angle/Jordan story line is almost as bad as the short lived angle where The Big Show (then known as the Giant) showed up at Beach Blast 95 & threw a big Seinfeld-esque puffy shirt at Hogan who said "....this shirt....it's Andre's!!!!"
   2010. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 24, 2017 at 02:19 PM (#5498951)
So... last night's PPV happened. Smackdown is a real mess right now. I think that's what happens when you hotshot a career jobber to the top of the brand, then book him against a very stale and uninterested Randy Orton for a bunch of convoluted finishes where no one comes out looking strong.

And I was just thinking that all this feud needed was to bring back a guy who was so immobile when he retired that he was reduced to a flute playing comedy act.

And how is it that Randy Orton will now get a 4th PPV main event in a row against the same guy. At some point, after losing 3 in a row, doesn't he have to go to the back of the line? Surely there's someone else on the roster stupid enough to keep being distracted by the Singh brothers. And if Orton wins the next one, then do we have to endure multiple PPV rematches from Jinder? Will the two of them really fight for 5 or 6 PPVs in a row?

Seriously, what a shitshow of an evening. They should have just sent everyone home after the tag match.
   2011. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: July 24, 2017 at 03:18 PM (#5498985)
Screwy finish for A.J. and K.O. Then practically no post-match crosstalk at the announcers' table (as if maybe they had to chuck their planned-finish talking points and wing it?) and no alternate-angle replays. A botched finish, possibly? I was at least expecting the "both guys' shoulders were down" routine.
   2012. Chokeland Bill Posted: July 24, 2017 at 03:45 PM (#5499001)
KO was also a huge betting line underdog. Though if it were a botch, the production crew was right on top of things since KO's music hit almost immediately on a sequence that doesn't look like a potential finish. Either way, AJ comes out looking like an idiot. Either he's stupid in Kayfabe for not kicking out or he botched it IRL.

At least the next PPV isn't going to throw all of the women into one match again. Though the rest will probably get tossed into a tag match or something.

The company has been lost since Mania. Braun and Joe have been handled well but almost everyone else has been handcuffed in one way or another. We had two KO/AJ PPV matches and neither one was good! How is that even possible?
   2013. aberg Posted: July 24, 2017 at 04:42 PM (#5499050)
Yeah, I can find something good in just about any show, but I thoroughly disliked Battleground. The tag match opener was solid. Everything after that sucked. The second best match of the night was the comedy/popcorn match between Zayn and Kanellis. The AJ/KO finish was one of the most awkward, pointless ref bumps I have ever seen. Keeping Charlotte and Becky out of the women's title picture is too cute by half. I needed Khali back on TV like I need a kidney stone. I found myself cheering for Rusev in the flag match because it just seemed like he was trying really hard for a poor country that doesn't get any attention. That match felt twice as long as it was, which is a bad sign.
   2014. Chokeland Bill Posted: July 24, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5499080)
On the plus side, Smackdown actually has a pretty good Tag division now. The Usos are great. New Day is often great. Fashion Police are great. The Ascension are good as comedy heel jobbers. The inevitable Harper/Rowan reunion will make another good heel team. Hype Bros are presumably splitting but they are ok as a face jobber team.

The title feuds have been entertaining for months, and the Fashion Police segments have kept the rest of the division onscreen. Having two ongoing tag feuds in a two hour show is a pretty good place for the division.

2015. aberg Posted: July 24, 2017 at 05:54 PM (#5499104)
The inevitable Harper/Rowan reunion will make another good heel team

I said out loud last night that I think they're the ones who end up as the Fashion Police attackers.
   2016. Dock Ellis Posted: July 25, 2017 at 12:07 AM (#5499251)
Funny, I just got back from a house show in Newark, Delaware, and it appears they may be trying Luke Harper as a comic/face. He was hamming it up after laying out one of the Ascension and got a pretty good reaction from the crowd.

I suspect Nakamura will be Jinder's next feud, as they were part of a Jinder/Dolph vs. Nakamura/Randy Orton tag team, and the two had a lot of ring time together. I have also never seen Randy Orton look like he was enjoying himself. When the crowd was chanting Nakamura's name, I caught him mouthing along and dancing to each syllable until he apparently remembered he is Randy fcking Orton and corrected himself and got back in character.

AJ and KO had another title match and after what happened at MSG a couple weeks ago, I was hoping for another AJ win. No dice, but still fun to see.

I think my favorite part about the whole night was the six year old girl next to me completely decked out in Cena gear. She was playing games on her phone and giving no fcks about the action until her man showed up for the Main Event, and then she went apeshit.
   2017. bigglou115 is not an Illuminati agent Posted: July 25, 2017 at 01:05 AM (#5499259)
@2016. You touched on a few things I've noticed. 1) Randy Orton might actually be a likeable guy when he's allowed to be. All good heart moments of the last few years have been when he didn't know the camera was watching or none kayfabe interviews. 2) I never pay attention to house show gimmicks for people who aren't on TV currently. A while back Axel was doing his Axelmania gimmick on house shows, next time we see him on TV it's the thing with Bo Dallas.
   2018. Chokeland Bill Posted: July 25, 2017 at 08:26 PM (#5499818)
Is Jericho the greatest long-career performer in North American wrestling? He's been active in big promotions for about 25 years and is on one of his hottest runs. I guess it depends on how Flair's work in the 70s and 00s is valued. I think Jericho's last couple of years have put him ahead of Undertaker.
   2019. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 25, 2017 at 08:39 PM (#5499827)
Jericho's "Man of 1,004 Holds" interview is worth more than most wrestlers' careers.
   2020. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: July 25, 2017 at 09:45 PM (#5499842)
Jericho's "Man of 1,004 Holds" interview is worth more than most wrestlers' careers.
ARMBAR.

here's that promo. the most underappreciated aspect of it is the crowd was lukewarm going into the commercial break, but they were hot as hell when the show came back on. apparently jericho spent those 4 minutes talking #### about [local sports team] and he restarted the promo when the feed came back.
Is Jericho the greatest long-career performer in North American wrestling? He's been active in big promotions for about 25 years and is on one of his hottest runs. I guess it depends on how Flair's work in the 70s and 00s is valued. I think Jericho's last couple of years have put him ahead of Undertaker.

i'll allow it.
   2021. 2 dudes are better than STIGGLES; i'm both of em Posted: July 25, 2017 at 09:50 PM (#5499845)
this jericho promo with bryan danielson always makes me smile.
   2022. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 26, 2017 at 12:47 AM (#5499917)
   2023. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 26, 2017 at 07:17 AM (#5499956)
Is Jericho the greatest long-career performer in North American wrestling? He's been active in big promotions for about 25 years and is on one of his hottest runs. I guess it depends on how Flair's work in the 70s and 00s is valued

You can't compare Flair's career performance to any modern wrestler because the nature of wrestling as a business has changed so much in the last 40 years. A modern wrestler like Jericho isn't expected to range from territory to territory doing big house shows with whoever the top draw was with no preparation, video to analyze, or anything more than a few minutes backstage to lay out some spots.

Also I just wanted an excuse to repost this story from Terry Taylor.

“You may not believe this, but at one time I was selfish. I was all about ‘Terry’.
I was 5 years in the business and I was starting to figure out that this is a pretty cool gig…having girls chase me, people chanting my name and getting paid to do what I liked.

Well, I was a huge fan of Ric Flair. And we had done an angle in Louisiana where he was going to wrestle me at the Superdome for the NWA world title.

I get to the building at like two in the afternoon – I didn’t have to be there until six – and I’m doing push-ups and blow-drying my hair nine times. This is my big main event, versus Ric Flair! On top, y’know? A good house, super-card.

So, I’m waiting.

And waiting.

Seven o’clock, he’s not there. Seven-thirty he’s not there.

Eight o’clock, this thing starts – he’s STILL not there.

About 8:15 he rolls in.

He reeks of alcohol. It looks like he’s been wearing the same clothes for three days, his hair is matted…and he’s actually being helped in by one of the security guys who’s carrying his bag and his robe for him.

Ric lays down on the couch and goes, ‘Come get me in an hour.’

I can’t believe it. I’m thinking, ‘This is your opportunity to make me look good…how are you going to make Terry Taylor into a bigger star when you’re so hung-over you can’t even open your eyes?’

I was hot. Oh, I was mad at him.

The best part was, he says to me: ‘Bring me a cup of coffee in an hour.’ So now I’m the coffee guy too, right?

So anyway, I do as I’m told, I get him the coffee just as the match is getting ready to go. And he’s still in his clothes. He’s a mess, and we’ve got about 20 minutes…

A guy comes and says to me, ‘You gotta go to the other side.’ The Super Dome’s so big you gotta drive all the way around in a golf cart. And I’ve got my little jacket on and I’m mad. I’m thinking, ‘Ric Flair didn’t come here ready to make me look good.’

So, I go to the ring and there’s twenty-five, twenty-six thousand people out there, all cheering. I’m still seething y’know, ‘cos I’m thinking I’m going to have to carry Ric Flair to a 12-minute match, which at the time I didn’t know if I could do or not.

His music plays. He walks through the curtain…and his hair is immaculate. He’s got the robe on, he comes walking out in full Ric Flair mode.

Forty minutes later, I’m begging him to pin me because I can’t breathe. And he’s going, ‘Let’s go, let’s go!’ [But] I can’t breathe.

Finally, he pins me – I have never been more happy to lose a match in my life. 48 minutes we went when he couldn’t even open his eyes an hour before that. I said, ‘This guy’s not from planet Earth.’

That night, later on, Bourbon Street having a great time. Not me – him. I was in the iron lung still trying to get my breath back! (Laughs)

Ric Flair was amazing. He’s the man.”
   2024. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: July 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM (#5502146)
I love that Flair story, YR

Flair threw out first pitch for the Marlins last night & didn't even come close to the plate--well short. He may be the 60-minute man but certainly was not the 60 feet 6 inches man last night!
   2025. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: July 29, 2017 at 10:08 AM (#5502147)
I'm not against the Mahal run but it really would have played out better as a US title run with AJ/Owens fighting over the World title.
   2026. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 30, 2017 at 07:54 PM (#5502901)
I'm not against the Mahal run but it really would have played out better as a US title run with AJ/Owens fighting over the World title.

Agreed, but I don't think that gets the attention of the Indian people the way they want.
   2027. Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: July 30, 2017 at 08:30 PM (#5502906)
I'd never read that Flair story before but it is SUCH a Ric Flair story.

On the topic of Mahal: I was into his elevation as a way to mix it up and give him a shot. Something similar worked for JBL back in 04-05 and WWE got a new main event heel out of it. I hope I'm not using rose-colored glasses, but I remember JBL getting more heat and attracting more interest as champ.

Jinder's acquitted himself well and proved he deserves a good long look... in the future. I just don't think he's ready to or capable of carrying SDL right now, and that's what the champ should do. Here's to Cena getting #17 in Brooklyn.
   2028. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 31, 2017 at 11:44 AM (#5503274)
Something similar worked for JBL back in 04-05 and WWE got a new main event heel out of it. I hope I'm not using rose-colored glasses, but I remember JBL getting more heat and attracting more interest as champ.

I think the difference here was that Bradshaw had been a WWE fixture for years before and was a multiple-time champion and recognized (by the fans) badass when he transitioned from the Bradshaw persona to JBL. The whole APA gimmick was wildly popular for a couple of years before the whole JBL thing ever started.

Jinder has been around for years, but before 2017 never rose above the lower card. He had no previous championship wins, spent most of his time as part of a joke stable (3MB) and/or going back and forth between the main roster and NXT (where he also never won anything of note). He was then released for about 2 years, came back, and immediately started losing again. He was essentially on the level of Darren Young. Then, all of a sudden, he was the champion.

If they wanted to pick someone in a similar position to Bradshaw (ie, promote someone with a strong history of mid-card success up the card), the choice would have been someone like Luke Harper - high profile group, multiple past champion. Keep him off TV a couple of months, bring him back with a new, harder-hitting gimmick. You could push him into the championship picture without much argument from anyone.
   2029. Chokeland Bill Posted: August 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5511863)
Omega/Okada 3 was also very good, helped along by the 30 min time limit mandating a very different match than the previous two.
   2030. Man o' Schwar Posted: August 14, 2017 at 11:17 AM (#5512740)
For those who haven't heard, Ric Flair is apparently in the hospital and not in good condition.
   2031. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: August 14, 2017 at 02:37 PM (#5512969)
No idea what's wrong with him though, just a torrent of dire tweets.
   2032. bigglou115 is not an Illuminati agent Posted: August 14, 2017 at 04:11 PM (#5513052)
No idea what's wrong with him though, just a torrent of dire tweets.

Reports are he's in a medically induced coma awaiting treatment for his alcoholic cardiomyopathy. My understanding is that this means surgery.
   2033. Man o' Schwar Posted: August 14, 2017 at 04:32 PM (#5513074)
Reports are he's in a medically induced coma awaiting treatment for his alcoholic cardiomyopathy. My understanding is that this means surgery.

That's bad news all around. If he needs surgical treatment, he's pretty far gone. He may be getting an LVAD (left ventricular assist device) as a prelude to an attempted transplant. Though it's hard to imagine a transplant committee would be inclined to approve him given his lifestyle. If he gets it, it will be like the Mickey Mantle liver transplant - he gets it because he's Ric Flair, not because he's a good candidate.

I guess best case scenario would be a pacemaker of some kind, though you wouldn't expect he would need to be in a medically induced coma if that was all that was happening.

This sucks. Hard to imagine a world without Ric Flair out there styling and profiling.

EDIT: Meltzer reporting that apparently he's out of surgery but still in bad shape.
   2034. MikeinMI Posted: August 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM (#5514984)
I usually forget my password but I finally remembered it so I wanted to thank you all for good wrestling posts. It's nice to see.
Page 21 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 19 20 21

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty
for his generous support.