Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 27, 2014

OT: Wrestling Thread November 2014

Given that the old wrestling thread got shut down, here is a new one that shamelessly links to my Hell in a Cell review!

aberg Posted: October 27, 2014 at 01:47 PM | 2123 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: wrestling

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 22 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 20 21 22
   2101. Random Transaction Generator Posted: November 16, 2017 at 07:04 PM (#5577703)
flip
   2102. Chokeland Bill Posted: November 19, 2017 at 08:32 AM (#5578466)
Even when NXT looks like the less impressive show going in, it always knocks it out of the park. Great show.
   2103. aberg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:24 PM (#5578779)
I enjoyed Survivor Series quite a bit for a show with basically no storyline supporting it. New Day-Shield was a good, hot opener and a matchup I enjoyed more than I expected to. Brock-AJ was a great example of how good Brock can look when he's motivated and in with the right guy. The both worked their asses off and it mostly looked great. The main event elimination match was mostly good, but I felt like the finish was odd and confusing. Couldn't HHH have just won the match and then turned on Kurt? What did the in-match swerve accomplish? It was also kind of weird that the last four guys were all old guys, except Braun, who didn't factor in the finish.

I think it was pretty clear from last night that Brock, Braun, and AJ are the three most over guys in the company (not counting semi-retired guys). Shield, Miz, New Day, KO are a level beneath them, and Joe, Balor, Nakamura, Orton, Usos, and probably a few others a tier below that. The goal should be to feature those top guys and keep them hot and to see if there is anyone from the lower levels they can get to level-up.
   2104. Chokeland Bill Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5578796)
I honestly expected a lot more from Shield / New Day. New Day has been having great matches lately and Shield always did, so I expected something epic. What we got was not as good as New Day's matches against the Usos.

AJ/Brock was basically perfect except for a brief stretch where they seemed to not be on the same page.

NXT wins again.
   2105. Random Transaction Generator Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5578808)
AJ/Brock was fantastic even though I knew the final result because they HAD to have a 3-3 tie going into the final match.

I'd be perfectly fine if AJ/Brock go again in the near future.

That main event finish was terrible. If the crowd is standing around not sure of what is happening (or why), that's not how you end the match.
I was hoping the KO/Zayn interference was going to be the reason for RAW winning but they made probably the weakest interference I've ever seen.
They double-teamed Shane and then got run off 10 seconds later when he got his hands on a chair? Sad.

2106. aberg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 01:04 PM (#5578812)
I honestly expected a lot more from Shield / New Day. New Day has been having great matches lately and Shield always did, so I expected something epic. What we got was not as good as New Day's matches against the Usos.

That's fair. I'd also add that the Usos are awesome and pretty much always deliver on PPV. The list of tag teams that are better in the ring is very short. I think I enjoyed the "feel" of this match more than the actual competition, but that was pretty much the point of this entire show.

AJ/Brock was basically perfect except for a brief stretch where they seemed to not be on the same page.

Agreed, and Brock is so unique that even his mistakes look cool. That spot in the corner where he didn't sell/counter the tornado DDT properly and basically just did a flatliner was so much better than your garden variety botch. And that made up about 5% of the match, so I almost feel bad fixating on it.

One little thing I liked from the main event was how much HHH and the newer WWE guys (Roode, Balor, Nakamura) clearly enjoyed being in the ring with each other. It's one thing for those guys to like being with HHH given his accomplishments and stature, but it's cool that he likes it as much as he does, too.

They're clearly going somewhere with some combination of HHH/Braun/Kurt/Jordan/Cena. I assume Shane peels off to deal with KO rather than staying engaged with HHH/Kurt. Lots of moving pieces, but the broad strokes of Mania are starting to becomes visible.
   2107. rconn23 Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:42 PM (#5578965)
AJ Styles should be the champion heading into Mania. The Jinder experiment is hopefully over. But who do you have heated up to face him on the Smackdown side? It should be Nakamura but they've made him look like just another guy.

They've done Owens/Styles. Maybe Orton? But ... they'll probably give the belt back to Jinder and have him face Cena at Mania. That, with ANOTHER Reigns/Lesnar match with ANOTHER Reigns coronation would make a lackluster Mania card, IMO.
   2108. aberg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 04:57 PM (#5578976)
I remember hearing after Mania last year that the plan was to get to another Reigns/Lesnar match and do Styles/Nakamura on the SD side to balance it out for the sub-groups of the fan base. While Nakamura has cooled down since Summerslam, there's plenty of time to get him heated back up before Mania if that's still the plan.

If I had to guess, I think the top of the Mania card will look something like this:

1. Lesnar vs. Reigns UHC
2. Styles vs. Nakmura WHC
3. HHH vs. Angle
4. Shane vs. Owens
5. Singles match for Cena
6. Singles match for Strowman
   2109. Chokeland Bill Posted: November 20, 2017 at 06:22 PM (#5579059)
I think Jinder is winning the title back tomorrow and will hold it for Cena at Mania.

Roman/Brock is certain
AJ/Shinsuke is probably happening but not for the belt
HHH/Angle is probably happening. HHH/Braun seems to be in the works as well, so maybe one of those matches happens at Rumble.

Four Horsewomen vs Four Horsewomen is happening and will probably be a heavily promoted match due to Rousey's involvement

Asuka vs Alexa will probably happen. I could see them doing a Women's Rumble and have Asuka win it to set up Mania.
   2110. aberg Posted: November 20, 2017 at 07:08 PM (#5579079)
I think Jinder is winning the title back tomorrow and will hold it for Cena at Mania.

There are people who hate Jinder a lot more than I do, but I have to say that this seems so stupid. Crowds just tune him out. The shows had notably worse attendance with him as champion. The PPVs were markedly worse. They couldn't even sell tickets for that India tour with him as the headliner.
   2111. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: November 21, 2017 at 03:32 PM (#5579642)
I don't read the rumors so Paige's return was an unexpected & pleasant surprise. Its interesting who the WWE kept from Tough Enough and who they did not
   2112. Chokeland Bill Posted: November 21, 2017 at 05:55 PM (#5579815)
Mandy Rose hasn't been used on NXT TV much, but from house show accounts I've seen she is a surprisingly good worker with a lot of potential.

Velveteen Dream is also from the last TE batch, and seems like a future top guy considering how good he is already at 22. Match of the Night on a Takeover show is no easy accomplishment.

2113. Chokeland Bill Posted: November 21, 2017 at 08:48 PM (#5579872)
Three more NXT women got call-ups on Smackdown. I think they are probably padding the roster for a Women's Rumble.
   2114. Chokeland Bill Posted: November 21, 2017 at 09:23 PM (#5579878)
Suddenly Mahal's rematch is not tonight but instead at the next PPV. That sounds to me like AJ's performance and reception might have changed Vince's plans.
   2115. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: December 06, 2017 at 07:38 PM (#5587736)
Based on my recollections of Tough Enough, Sonya Deville (Daria) was overly confident and shocked when she got eliminated relatively early.

Velveteen Dream (Patrick) seemed talented but was hella-obnoxious, he called out another competitor in front of everyone for not knowing wrestling history but it backfired on him. He reminded me of if the Brian Fellow character from Saturday Night Live tried to be a wrestler. I don't watch NXT regularly but I need to check out his progress

Mandy Rose seemed the most like who the WWE would pick so I'm not surprised she made it. I remember she accused Sara lee of being a "ring rat"--not sure if that was true, gossip, or kayfabe. Hogan was a judge and got replaced by the Miz who double crossed Paige and saved Mandy (which was no suprise to me, Mandy reminds me of his wife Maryse). Now paige and mandy are in a gimmick together

It's funny because the fans chose Sara Lee & Josh Brendl who are no longer with the WWE & also liked Z who seemed like he could've been in a quick one off gimmick with the wyatt family lol. Goes to show you that when you let the Humanoids decide they won't always pick who you want but looks like the WWE picked up who they had in mind in the long run (Mandy, Daria, and Patrick )
   2116. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: January 03, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5599985)
I was excited to see Balor reunited with the underutilized Gallows & Anderson
I guess we'll see a few NXT stars and some used in the Mae Young classic for the women's royal rumble
   2117. Chokeland Bill Posted: January 05, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5601561)
Various Wrestle Kingdom thoughts:

1. Almost certainly Jericho's best match of the decade. More and more I think the biggest difference in match quality between NJPW and WWE comes from the house style rather than the workers involved.

2. Okada/Naito wasn't one of the greatest matches of all time, and thus was maybe a disappointment. It was probably still the best match of the night.

3. I really liked the Okada video for his entrance. Just a simple thing that made him feel like a really big deal.

4. All that said, there might not be a better thing in wrestling than the Tokyo Dome crowd singing the chorus for Minoru Suzuki's theme.
   2118. aberg Posted: January 11, 2018 at 04:37 PM (#5604934)
2. Okada/Naito wasn't one of the greatest matches of all time, and thus was maybe a disappointment. It was probably still the best match of the night.

I'll admit that Okada's matches are almost always my favorite. Just something about his style that fits my tastes and his great finishes. I agree that it was the best of the night. Oddly, Meltzer had it tied for 4th best behind a fairly pedestrian Suzuki-Goto match in the middle of the card.

Jericho and Omega told a great story with lots of theatrics. I think the 5* rating Meltzer gave that was a little bit of a make-good since he never gave Jericho that rating in his prime. I don't think any serious wrestling fan would say that was the best match of his career, but I was entertained, so who cares.

It's going to be fun to see what they do with Kitamura in these upcoming singles matches. Very rare for a guy to come straight from the Dojo into big event singles matches.
   2119. rconn23 Posted: January 11, 2018 at 05:02 PM (#5604951)
The Jericho/Michaels ladder match from (No Mercy?) 2008 was the best Jericho match and I think, the best one-on-one ladder match in WWE history. The Michaels/Razor match from Mania gets the hype because it was one of the first on a grand stage, but the Jericho match was superior and had a great ending.
   2120. aberg Posted: January 11, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5605050)
The Jericho/Michaels ladder match from (No Mercy?) 2008 was the best Jericho match and I think, the best one-on-one ladder match in WWE history. The Michaels/Razor match from Mania gets the hype because it was one of the first on a grand stage, but the Jericho match was superior and had a great ending.

+1

That run was the best of Jericho's career and that match was the crown jewel. This is coming from someone who has Jericho on his mount rushmore of all-time personal favorites.
   2121. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 17, 2018 at 03:08 PM (#5608271)
Forbes: WWE's Roman Reigns Linked To $10 Million Steroid Ring:
Roman Reigns has been named as an alleged client of jailed steroid distributor Robert Rodriguez, whose Miami-based Wellness Fitness Nutrition LLC (WFN) was raided by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) last February as part of a yearlong investigation. ...According to the United States Attorney's Office, WFN's client list included "at least 50 customers in the Eastern District of New York" in a massive ring that made at least $10 million in the distribution of illicit anabolic steroids.

...In June 2016, Reigns was suspended for 30 days over a wellness violation, but his suspension was later linked to Adderall, which is used to treat ADHD but is banned in all major sporting leagues.

...WWE's handling of the Signature Pharmacy scandal in 2007 may or may not bode well for Roman Reigns, who is the reigning Intercontinental champion and has long been rumored to be main-eventing WrestleMania 34 in April.

WWE acted swiftly as the Signature Pharmacy scandal went national, suspending Charlie Haas, Edge, Gregory Helmes, John Morrison, William Regal, Mr. Kennedy, Umaga, Funaki and Chavo Guerrero, as well as Booker T, who denied the allegations and quit soon after being notified of a 60-day suspension for a second offense.

Here's where it gets interesting in terms of Roman Reigns, unquestionably WWE's top star. An ESPN report linked top star Batista to the Signature Pharmacy doping ring, a report he vehemently denied in an official statement on his website. Batista went on to insist he was being tested regularly by WWE and was in full compliance with the WWE wellness program.
Batista's protest proved successful as he avoided suspension.

Orton was one of a few WWE Superstars who also received a stay of execution as WWE noted he was already punished for this offense in the past. Should there be legs to the accusations being leveled against Reigns, it's hard to imagine WWE using a similar excuse for Reigns' suspension in 2016, as it was linked to Adderall.

Still, it's no secret that WWE, like most organizations, seems to carry a different set of rules and standards for its biggest stars. The fact that heads rolled in the wake of the Signature Pharmacy scandal should concern Reigns as the WFN story continues to pick up steam. But the fact that the vast majority of punished WWE Superstars in the Signature Pharmacy scandal were not perennial world champions could be an indication that Reigns' road to WrestleMania will not be obstructed.

Batista and Orton, whom the promotion was building around at the time, conveniently avoided the wrath of WWE. Although Edge — an 11-time world champion and the face of SmackDown in 2007 — was "suspended," he was already out of action because of a pectoral injury. It's fair to question if he, too, would have avoided discipline if he had been an active performer.

In 2013, WWE introduced a redemption program that allowed Superstars with two violations to have one of the violations deleted provided they remained clean for 18 months. Many refer to the policy as the "Randy Orton rule" because the program seemed to be fine-tuned for Orton's situation as a WWE Superstar with two wellness violations to his name.
   2122. Man o' Schwar Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5608437)
They'll never suspend Reigns leading up to Wrestlemania. They've been building to him beating Brock Lesnar for over a year. They can't skip it now and keep it going for another year. They have to cut Lesnar loose and get the title back on TV regularly.

I'm sure he'll deny it, and WWE will say they're investigating, and then everyone will hope that time passes and this just fades from the headlines.
   2123. bigglou115 is not an Illuminati agent Posted: January 17, 2018 at 07:38 PM (#5608441)
The initial case was from 2016, the clip that started the story first made the rounds on Saturday. Nobody else named is paying any attention. They'll just ignore the thing altogether unless more evidence shows up. This is why WWE has a testing program, so they can ignore accusations that don't come with proof.

Edit: only the wrestling fan community is giving this any play, and I think anyone but Reigns it would be the same in wrestling fandom.
Page 22 of 22 pages ‹ First  < 20 21 22

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.