Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, October 27, 2014

OT: Wrestling Thread November 2014

Given that the old wrestling thread got shut down, here is a new one that shamelessly links to my Hell in a Cell review!

aberg Posted: October 27, 2014 at 01:47 PM | 2419 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: wrestling

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 25 of 25 pages ‹ First  < 23 24 25
   2401. aberg Posted: September 05, 2019 at 01:18 PM (#5876965)
Flip flop and fly
   2402. Chokeland Bill Posted: September 05, 2019 at 02:16 PM (#5876976)
WWE has got to a point where they don't have a lot of BAD matches, but they don't really strive for the type of insanely athletic matches that blow away the hardcore fans, such as what we saw in the G1. WWE is very strong in production value, but too often skews toward spectacle over substance (which there's an audience for, but it's not really me). If AEW can just provide an alternative that's a little more competition-focused with straightforward storylines, I think it can be a successful alternative.

The King of the Ring matches have actually been a pretty good showcase of top level wrestling. Elias and Corbin just had their best ever single matches on back to back days. So there is at least some evidence that they realize the in-ring needs to improve. They are getting over guys that were off TV or beaten like a drum a month or two ago, purely through wrestling.

I think AEW is also leaving themselves a bit open right out of the gate, by running a women's title match as the key focus of the pilot but not really having star talent involved. NXT is probably going to throw a Shayna title match up against it (I figure Rea gets added to the announced triple threat and gets the title, otherwise Bianca seems most likely), and will probably have a more impressive match. If the women's title doesn't main event the first AEW show but does the competing NXT show, WWE is still scoring points. In general, the women are where WWE have a pretty big advantage. Even when AEW starts to put on insane Joshi matches, WWE actually has better Joshi and can do the same thing.

AEW's strength is their tags. I think they should have reversed what they are actually doing, and done a tag title match on the debut and a tournament for the women. That way you can have a blow-away tag match in the pilot and develop characters for the women to build up to the title.

I am very curious to see how the draft shakes things up. Becky has been on all of the Smackdown advertisements, I imagine she has to be going over to Fox. Would they really move her there and keep Seth on Raw? Or do they have Seth, Roman, and Brock all on Smackdown? If so, who becomes top face on Raw?

2403. aberg Posted: September 05, 2019 at 03:58 PM (#5876996)
I am very curious to see how the draft shakes things up. Becky has been on all of the Smackdown advertisements, I imagine she has to be going over to Fox. Would they really move her there and keep Seth on Raw? Or do they have Seth, Roman, and Brock all on Smackdown? If so, who becomes top face on Raw?

Matt Riddle. Just kidding. Sort of.
   2404. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 02, 2019 at 11:58 PM (#5885783)
Does AEW think Jack Swagger is a draw? I think I might disagree with that?

NXT had the better show, but of course they tried much harder.
   2405. my email address is hashtag 57i66135 Posted: October 03, 2019 at 12:24 AM (#5885784)
when did chris jericho start cosplaying as james storm?
   2406. my email address is hashtag 57i66135 Posted: October 03, 2019 at 12:45 AM (#5885785)
Does AEW think Jack Swagger is a draw? I think I might disagree with that?
i think you misspelled jack thwagger.
   2407. my email address is hashtag 57i66135 Posted: October 03, 2019 at 12:51 AM (#5885787)
i think the biggest strength AEW has going for it is that they can get people like me to consider watching. the last time i paid any amount of meaningful attention to WWE was when shinsuke nakamura debuted in NXT. before that, it was when CM punk threw a tantrum to get his face on an ice cream bar.

all AEW had to do was exist.
   2408. aberg Posted: October 03, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5885983)
NXT was better than AEW last night. They're character/storyline stuff was better, but they have had way more time to lay the groundwork there. AEW gets a pass on that for now. I was surprised how much better the wreslting on NXT was. Some of it was putting so many top guys in matches, but AEW pretty much did the same thing. Cody, Jericho, Bucks, Omega, Pac, Hangman all had matches. Lucha Bros, Moxley, Hager (who I still really like), Goldy were all involved in physicality. They're going to need to build depth because you can't have everybody on your roster that involved every week and stay interesting.

By contrast, NXT didn't have Kushida, Walter, Lee, Dijak on screen at all. Dream only did a promo. None of the 205 guys were featured this week and seem like a regular feature going forward. Balor and Ciampa were only on enough to tease.
   2409. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 03, 2019 at 04:40 PM (#5886058)
AEW felt more like a main roster WWE show, in both good (the arena and overall presentation) and bad ways. Both the women's title match and the main event had obvious DQs that didn't happen. Like what is Nyla's motivation with the chairs? How is Moxley's attack not a DQ? If things are supposed to be more sportlike, the rules need to matter. Also, posting the match records and then trying to play off the 0-2 Nyla Rose as dominant doesn't really work. Some kinks to work out.

NXT needs to get out of Full Sail, it's pretty obvious now. If you switched the venues last night, things would look kinda ugly for AEW.
   2410. aberg Posted: October 03, 2019 at 05:16 PM (#5886076)
Well, strongly against my expectations, AEW blew NXT out of the water in ratings. 1.4m to just under 900k. I would've guessed that AEW would do something like 750k. 1.4m is within shouting distance of a bad episode of SD. I guess there's more of an appetite for it than I would've guessed.

I strongly agree with 2409 that the run-ins, constant low-blows, cheating, etc were overdone. That stuff is fine, but each thing should happen once every few weeks or months, not several times in a show.
   2411. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 03, 2019 at 11:38 PM (#5886304)
Meltzer did a ratings break down. Apparently AEW didn't really take that many viewers from NXT, but brought in mostly a new audience. NXT actually gained viewers from 18-49 over last week, but lost viewers 50+ to baseball.

That almost seems like the strange reliance on WWE/WCW nostalgia could backfire, but it's interesting that there seems to be a sizable untapped audience.
   2412. rconn23 Posted: October 04, 2019 at 03:03 AM (#5886329)
AEW doubled NXT in the 18-49 demo.

NXT had better matches, sure. They also blew their highest profile match the first week. Riddle/Cole is about the best thing they can offer. I guess Balor/Cole can be a bigger draw but it won't be the quality of Cole/Riddle.

I'm not sure that AEW doesn't already have more compelling characters and potential storylines than NXT/WWE. MJF is what the Miz wishes he could be. He has the potential to be a Piper-level heal and he's only 23. Pac comes across as a badass top guy in AEW. Vince presented him as colorless when he was Neville. Moxley has already shown way more character and aggression than he ever did when he was Ambrose.

Cody has made himself into a huge main event star. I had never been the biggest fan of his in the ring, but his stuff in AEW so far as come across as the most compelling. He seems to have a huge ceiling as either a babyface or heel.

I think NXT needs to get out of Full Sail. It makes the show seem little league. I don't care how good the wrestling is. I know they are billing NXT now as really a separate brand now, but it still comes across as a developmental territory in that building.

2413. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: October 06, 2019 at 10:51 PM (#5887234)
Didn't see tonight's WWE Hell in a Cell show, but a friend of mine who watches everything emailed me. After the poorly-booked ending to tonight's Rollins-Fiend main event-- a disqualification in a "No DQ" match-- the crowd was chanting "AEW, AEW."

Not having seen it occur live, there's no way I'll ever get to hear the chant in any replay clips ever.
   2414. my email address is hashtag 57i66135 Posted: October 06, 2019 at 11:55 PM (#5887248)
Didn't see tonight's WWE Hell in a Cell show, but a friend of mine who watches everything emailed me. After the poorly-booked ending to tonight's Rollins-Fiend main event-- a disqualification in a "No DQ" match-- the crowd was chanting "AEW, AEW."

Not having seen it occur live, there's no way I'll ever get to hear the chant in any replay clips ever.
big 579i66y cool's got you covered.
   2415. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 07, 2019 at 12:46 AM (#5887255)
I am utterly baffled even contemplating the thought process that goes into coming up with that main event finish.

I'll note that in the most important week of US professional wrestling in quite a long time, Sasha Banks probably had the best match. She'll never to get actually win one of those matches, she's clearly just there to make the chosen few look good. It's a shame that she spent most of the past 2-3 years not even allowed to do that.
   2416. aberg Posted: October 07, 2019 at 12:06 PM (#5887325)
FWIW, the ending was a ref stoppage, not a DQ. The announcers did not make that clear.
   2417. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 07, 2019 at 01:38 PM (#5887371)
Ehhhhhh. Considering they released a poll a day or two before that posited DQ as a possible finish, I'm going to say that's a retcon in response to the outcry.
   2418. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 10, 2019 at 12:04 AM (#5888615)
I thought both shows were better this weak. More character stuff to go with the wrestling.
   2419. Chokeland Bill Posted: October 11, 2019 at 10:14 PM (#5889590)
They accidentally spoiled the draft order in the pools list they posted yesterday. Good sign that they have their act together.
Page 25 of 25 pages ‹ First  < 23 24 25

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.