Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, February 01, 2014

OTP - Feb 2014: Politics remains a hurdle for immigration reform

Yet Obama might find his best-chance legislative compromise in an issue that lately has seemed to be on life support: an overhaul of the nation’s immigration laws.

Curiously, immigration was an issue the president barely mentioned in this year’s speech. Maybe he does not want to interfere with those Republicans who actually agree with him on the need to bring the nation’s millions of undocumented workers out of the shadows.

Bitter Mouse Posted: February 01, 2014 at 04:01 PM | 3524 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 36 of 36 pages ‹ First  < 31 32 33 34 35 36
   3501. JE (Jason) Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:26 PM (#4666486)
Flop.
   3502. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:27 PM (#4666488)
you mean right after obama got russia to back down from invasion using only obamanomics and diplobamacy?

I see the knee-jerk reflex for some to declare everything Obama does a complete success is still strong. Russia hasn't backed down from anything. It still controls Crimea, its forces are occupying all the key points, and it is still claiming the "right" to do more. What exactly has Obama gotten Russia to do, not roll tanks toward Warsaw?
   3503. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:30 PM (#4666490)
This is what happens when the U.S. projects weakness.

So clearly the Iran-Iraq war was all because Ronald Reagan was projecting weakness.

The Iran-Iraq War, also known as the First Persian Gulf War,[28][29][30][31][32] was an armed conflict between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of Iraq lasting from September 1980 to August 1988, making it the 20th century's longest conventional war.[33][34] It was initially referred to in English as the "Gulf War" prior to the Persian Gulf War of the early 1990s.[35] The Iran–Iraq War is considered[according to whom?] one of the most violent conflicts since World War II.

I can find other examples of presidents showing weakness and "causing" people to invade their neighbors. You on board with that Joe K? Is that seriously what you are suggesting.

And for those that believe the mighty US stood like a colossus over the last 100+ years and prevented any country from winning an invasion, what exactly did the US do regarding the Iran-Iraq war? Inquiring minds want to know.

EDIT: Excuse me, Carter was president at the start of the war, so it was his weakness that started, and Reagan's that allowed it to go on for 8 years. My bad. I can find other examples though, history is full of wars, and I hear all of them are the US presidents fault.
   3504. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:32 PM (#4666493)
I see the knee-jerk reflex for some to declare everything Obama does a complete success is still strong

Putin's failure is NOT due to anything Obama did or will do. He made a dumb move and the rest of the world (the sane part) knows it. Putin was also not encouraged by Obama's weakness. Everything is not about Obama.

EDIT: I am pretty sure the Obamanomics line was mostly a joke, but I guess I could be wrong.
   3505. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:38 PM (#4666497)
What, precisely, about Crimea is different today than it was last Tuesday?

Wherein the inventive impulse holding that Obama is a genius is revealed.
   3506. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:39 PM (#4666498)
The National Journal's Charlie Cook - It's Starting To Look Grisly For Senate Dems:
At this point, eight months before the Nov. 4 election, it’s hard to see a lot of good news for congressional Democrats. No matter how you look at it, the House seems out of reach. Today, Republicans appear a bit more likely to gain than to lose seats; it would take a cataclysmic event for Democrats to score the net gain of the 17 seats they need to take the majority.

What’s changed is that Democrats’ chances of holding onto their majority in the Senate is looking increasingly tenuous. There are now at least 10, and potentially as many as 13, Democratic-held seats in jeopardy. By contrast, only two GOP seats are in any meaningful danger, and that number hasn’t changed in six months.

Things are starting to look grisly for Senate Democrats. President Obama’s approval ratings average 41 percent, basically where President George W. Bush’s poll numbers were at this point before his own disastrous 2006 second-term, midterm election. And the Affordable Care Act, Obama’s signature legislative and policy achievement, is now even more unpopular than it was in October and November of 2010, when Democrats lost 63 seats, control of the House, and a half-dozen Senate seats.

Starting?

3507. Misirlou was a Buddhist prodigy Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:45 PM (#4666501)
Starting?

I wouldn't know. Nobody posts polling numbers here.
   3508. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:46 PM (#4666502)
Charlie Cook, I've seen his name somewhere before. Here, I think:

Republicans may be heading toward complete control of Washington—maintaining the House, taking the Senate, and likely capturing the White House—if Election Day 2012 unfolds as Charlie Cook, acclaimed vote counter, predicts.

Sure that the former Gov. Mitt Romney will clinch the GOP nomination, Cook says President Obama faces an uphill battle to be re-elected, and the election will be a referendum on his presidency and the dire economic situation he now "owns." [Vote now: Will Obama be a one-term president?]

Even if Obama did manage to hold on to the presidency, he will face a Republican-controlled legislature that will likely shut down his agenda entirely.
   3509. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 04, 2014 at 08:58 PM (#4666505)
How bad are the Democrats' 2014 Senate prospects? This bad - Only 33% Approve of Kay Hagan's (D-NC) Job Performance:
Only one-third of North Carolina registered voters approve of Sen. Kay Hagan's job performance, her lowest rating in a year, according to the latest Elon University Poll. Hagan was the only politician in the poll whose job approval rating dropped since November. . . . Fifty-two percent of respondents in Elon's latest poll said they thought Obamacare would make health care worse, and only 30 percent said it would improve care.

Hagan may only be the 4th or 5th most vulnerable Democratic seat in 2014.
   3510. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: March 04, 2014 at 09:05 PM (#4666507)
you're burying the lede. if you people weren't creepy and incompetent and just all-around batshit crazy, you'd already have the senate.

missouri: todd akin
delaware: christine odonnell
alaska: joe miller
nevada: sharon angle
indiana: richard murdoch
connecticut: linda mcmahon (x2)
   3511. Publius Publicola Posted: March 04, 2014 at 09:16 PM (#4666512)
Thanks for the summary, Jason.
   3512. Publius Publicola Posted: March 04, 2014 at 09:40 PM (#4666521)
TYC, before you count your chickens in NC, you should check out the GOP popularity polls there. Let me help you out. Theyre hated.
   3513. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 04, 2014 at 10:17 PM (#4666532)
On the House side - Wife of Alan Grayson (D-FLA) Obtains Protective Order
A Florida judge has granted a temporary protective order to the wife of Democratic Rep. Alan Grayson after he allegedly shoved her during a weekend dispute, according to a complaint obtained by the Orlando Sentinel. Grayson, a second-term lawmaker reelected to the House in 2012 after losing his seat the previous cycle, has denied the allegations. Grayson and his wife, Lolita, are in the process of divorcing after 24 years of marriage. The couple have two children.

According to a complaint filed by Lolita Grayson, she and the congressman had an argument when he came to her house on Saturday night. She asserts that Grayson “deliberately and with force pushed [Lolita Grayson] very hard against the front door, causing [her] to fall to the ground as a result,” according to a copy of a complaint obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

Might cost him some votes.
   3514. GregD Posted: March 04, 2014 at 10:24 PM (#4666536)
It's horrible and if it stands up--as it sounds like it will--the Dems should back a serious primary challenger against him.

Separate from this, he has always seemed like an absurd blowhard to me--though I was glad he won in 2012. I know Weigel claimed he was the most-effective congressman based on his ability to create odd alliances for his amendments, but I've been more put off by his ridiculous demeanor.
   3515. Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim Posted: March 04, 2014 at 10:38 PM (#4666539)
Looks like this guy disagrees with BBTF's liberals re: IQ:
It would figure that both JoeyB and JoeK are right in line with the Russians and Iranians. I'm surprised their rallying cry isn't "Death to America!"
   3516. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 05, 2014 at 12:01 AM (#4666559)
The exceptions, exemptions, waivers and postponements continue - New ObamaCare Delay To Help Midterm Dems:
The Obama administration is set to announce another major delay in implementing the Affordable Care Act, easing election pressure on Democrats. As early as this week, according to two sources, the White House will announce a new directive allowing insurers to continue offering health plans that do not meet ObamaCare’s minimum coverage requirements.

Prolonging the “keep your plan” fix will avoid another wave of health policy cancellations otherwise expected this fall. The cancellations would have created a firestorm for Democratic candidates in the last, crucial weeks before Election Day.

Once the midterms are over, they only have to figure out how to postpone the unpopular provisions past November 2016.
   3517. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 05, 2014 at 08:50 AM (#4666600)
Once the midterms are over, they only have to figure out how to postpone the unpopular provisions past November 2016.

Which is still easier than trying to figure out what to replace it with, because the GOP is still - many years later - looking for a replace law. Because while ACA has unpopular and complex bits, it has many very popular bits as well.

By the way I am submitting an article for this month. It may take a while to pop through.
   3518. Lassus Posted: March 05, 2014 at 09:00 AM (#4666603)
Have some baseball in it this time. ;-)
   3519. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 05, 2014 at 09:44 AM (#4666612)
I really tried for some baseball, but the best I got was really stretched.
   3520. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 05, 2014 at 09:47 AM (#4666615)
Might cost him some votes.

Might gain him some votes. The snake-handling wing of the Republican party likes a man who keeps his women cowed.
   3521. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 05, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4666636)
Grayson has always been a hot head, and frankly, he'd be one Dem I wouldn't mind seeing go down.
   3522. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 05, 2014 at 11:06 AM (#4666650)
I see the knee-jerk reflex for some to declare everything Obama does a complete success is still strong

You do know the post you are responding to was a joke don't you?
   3523. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 05, 2014 at 11:15 AM (#4666656)
moved to other one

3524. zenbitz Posted: March 05, 2014 at 01:04 PM (#4666726)
oops moving to march
Page 36 of 36 pages ‹ First  < 31 32 33 34 35 36

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.