Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

OTP - Jan 2013: Jewish Journal:E1: An error in baseball and Mideast politics

Tripon Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:48 PM | 2805 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ot, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 22 of 29 pages ‹ First  < 20 21 22 23 24 >  Last ›
   2101. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM (#4352461)
I assume you mean will they/won't they #### like "Rachel and Ross" and "Buffy and Angel," etc.
What drawn out will-they / won't-they #### did Buffy and Angel pull? Within two seasons they fell in love, had sex, he turned evil, she killed him to save the world, he returned from a hell dimension, she nursed him back to health, they got back together, didn't have sex, broke up, saved the world again, and he left to start his own show in LA.
   2102. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM (#4352464)
Downtown Abbey, like a number of these British imports, aims for a high ground in the soap opera derby. Better production values, more exteriors, not as many closeups, less cleavage. American daytime soaps, however, can cite Earl Weaver for its authority on its uniqueness: we do this every ####### day.

2103. JuanGone..except1game Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM (#4352466)
What drawn out will-they / won't-they #### did Buffy and Angel pull? Within two seasons they fell in love, had sex, he turned evil, she killed him to save the world, he returned from a hell dimension, she nursed him back to health, they got back together, didn't have sex, broke up, saved the world again, and he left to start his own show in LA.

Agreed there was no will they/won't they with Angel/Buffy except for the "will they/won't they kill each other". Now, Angel/Cordelia was a true will they/won't they if were looking for an example in the Buffy/Angel universe. That got drawn out way to long.
   2104. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM (#4352475)
Today's installment in the ongoing series: From the Confidential Files of the Greatest Organization for Good in the World!

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Retired Cardinal Roger Mahony and other top Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles officials maneuvered behind the scenes to shield molester priests, provide damage control for the church and keep parishioners in the dark, according to church personnel files.

The confidential records filed in a lawsuit against the archdiocese disclose how the church handled abuse allegations for decades and also reveal dissent from a top Mahony aide who criticized his superiors for covering up allegations of abuse rather than protecting children.

Notes inked by Mahony demonstrate he was disturbed about abuse and sent problem priests for treatment, but there also were lengthy delays or oversights in some cases. Mahony received psychological reports on some priests that mentioned the possibility of many other victims, for example, but there is no indication that he or other church leaders investigated further.

"This is all intolerable and unacceptable to me," Mahony wrote in 1991 on a file of the Rev. Lynn Caffoe, a priest suspected of locking boys in his room, videotaping their crotches and running up a $100 phone sex bill while with a boy. Caffoe was sent for therapy and removed from ministry, but Mahony didn't move to defrock him until 2004, a decade after the archdiocese lost track of him.

Mahony was out of town but issued a statement Monday apologizing for his mistakes and saying he had been "naive" about the lasting impacts of abuse. He has since met with 90 abuse victims privately and keeps an index card with each victim's name in his private chapel, where he prays for them daily, he said. The card also includes the name of the molesting priest "lest I forget that real priests created this appalling harm."

"It remains my daily and fervent prayer that God's grace will flood the heart and soul of each victim, and that their life journey continues forward with ever greater healing," Mahony wrote. "I am sorry."

The apology stands in contrast to letters Mahony was writing to accused priests more than two decades ago.

In 1987, he wrote to the Rev. Michael Wempe — who would ultimately admit to abusing 13 boys — while the priest was undergoing in-patient therapy at a New Mexico treatment center.

"Each of you there at Jemez Springs is very much in my prayers and I call you to mind each day during my celebration of the Eucharist," Mahony wrote to the priest, adding that he supported him in the experience.

The church's sex abuse policy was evolving and Mahony inherited some of the worst cases from his predecessor when he took over in 1985, J. Michael Hennigan, an archdiocese attorney, said in a separate series of emails. Priests were sent out of state for psychological treatment because they revealed more when their therapists were not required to report child abuse to law enforcement, as they were in California, he said.

At the time, clergy were not mandated sex abuse reporters and the church let the victims' families decide whether to contact police, he added.

In at least one case, a priest victimized the children of illegal immigrants and threatened to have them deported if they told, the files show.

The personnel files of 13 other clerics were attached to the motion to show a cover-up pattern, said attorney Anthony De Marco, who represents the 35-year-old plaintiff. In one instance, a memo to Mahony discusses sending a cleric to a therapist who also is an attorney so any incriminating evidence is protected from authorities by lawyer-client privilege. In another instance, archdiocese officials paid a secret salary to a priest exiled to the Philippines after he and six other clerics were accused of having sex with a teen and impregnating her.

The exhibits offer a glimpse at some 30,000 pages to be made public as part of a record-setting $660 million settlement. The archdiocese agreed to give the files to more than 500 victims of priest abuse in 2007, but a lawyer for about 30 of the priests fought to keep records sealed. A judge recently ordered the church to release them without blacking out the names of church higher-ups after The Associated Press and the Los Angeles Times intervened.

They echo similar releases from other dioceses nationwide that have shown how church leaders for decades shuffled problem priests from parish to parish, covered up reports of abuse and didn't contact law enforcement. Top church officials in Missouri and Pennsylvania were criminally convicted last year for their roles in covering up abuse, more than a decade after the clergy sex abuse scandal began to unfold in Boston.

Mahony, who retired in 2011 after 26 years at the helm of the 4.3-million person archdiocese, has been particularly hounded by the case of the Rev. Michael Baker, who was sentenced to prison in 2007 for molestation — two decades after the priest confessed his abuse to Mahony.

Mahony noted the "extremely grave and serious situation" when he sent Baker for psychological treatment after the priest told him in 1986 that he had molested two brothers over seven years.

Baker returned to ministry the next year with a doctor's recommendation that he be defrocked immediately if he spent any time with minors. Despite several documented instances of being alone with boys, the priest wasn't removed from ministry until 2000. Around the same time, the church learned he was conducting baptisms without permission.

Church officials discussed announcing Baker's abuse in churches where he had worked, but Mahony rejected the idea.

"We could open up another firestorm — and it takes us years to recover from those," Mahony wrote in an Oct. 6, 2000, memo. "Is there no alternative to public announcements at all the Masses in 15 parishes??? Wow — that really scares the daylights out of me!!"

Link

2105. Shredder Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM (#4352483)
The Virgina state Senate is split 20-20 D/R, so while one of the Democratic Senators was at the inauguration, the state GOP redistricted the state.
So a black state senator who was active in the Civil Rights movement takes a day off (a holiday, actually) to attend the inauguration of the nation's first black president, and Republicans seize the opportunity to dilute the voting power of minorities. If that wasn't enough, they adjourn the senate in honor of Stonewall Jackson. I'm really at a loss to understand why republican candidates do so poorly with black voters. It just boggles the mind.
   2106. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM (#4352484)
The church's sex abuse policy was evolving and Mahony inherited some of the worst cases from his predecessor when he took over in 1985, J. Michael Hennigan, an archdiocese attorney, said in a separate series of emails. Priests were sent out of state for psychological treatment because they revealed more when their therapists were not required to report child abuse to law enforcement, as they were in California, he said.
And that's the defense offered by the diocese's lawyer!
   2107. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM (#4352486)
Wow did I pick a great long weekend to not 'connect' (basically offline the whole time). I have little to offer/am not interested in commenting on depression, IP, and other topics (have only seen Season 1 of Downton - enjoyed it a great deal).

I didn't even watch the inauguration/speech, but on the upside my house is much cleaner and I got a bunch of reading done.
   2108. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM (#4352488)
Downtown Abbey, like a number of these British imports, aims for a high ground in the soap opera derby. Better production values, more exteriors, not as many closeups, less cleavage. American daytime soaps, however, can cite Earl Weaver for its authority on its uniqueness: we do this every ####### day.

And I suppose it's a sign of the times that our lowlife noclass soaps are going the way of affordable housing in New York City, although they're being replaced by lowlife highclass soaps rather than by $5000 "luxury" apartments.
   2109. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM (#4352492)
The lower noclass soaps are just being replaced by the really trashy reality TV. Bravo is the worst offender with its Real life Housevives of so and so.
   2110. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM (#4352499)
Class ain't got nothing to do with it. Well, it does with Downton, but that's a special case, airing on PBS fergodsakes. But there have always been plenty of soaps on network primetime, and some are good and some are bad. There are good soaps and bad soaps, just as there are within any genre.
   2111. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM (#4352501)
The fascination with reality TV continues to elude me... I mean, if reality is that interesting, why watch TV?

In other news... something interesting afoot at Redstate... Erick son of Erick had a post up yesterday that was quite the #### stirrer. I find the calls for restraint a bit ironic coming from him, as he's said a few things in his time with CNN that were rather unbecoming (I recall something about greeting a census taker with a shotgun). Perhaps most interestingly, he also doubled down on the idea in his morning e-mail (it's not posted on RS yet - I think it usually goes up later in the day, but I subscribe to it just for fun).

Sooo... the question - is Erickson:

A) Thinking maybe this no prisoners partisan warfare stuff become a liability, and it's time to reel it back in for the good of the party/ideology.

B) Thinking maybe this no prisoners partisan warfare stuff has become bad for the country, and while he still believes what he believes, wants to be a 'patriot'.

C) Has decided he wants to make it onto the cocktail circuit and knows he needs to separate wheat from chaff amongst his supporters?
   2112. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM (#4352508)
The fascination with reality TV continues to elude me... I mean, if reality is that interesting, why watch TV?
Huh? Of course it has nothing to do with reality.

Most "reality tv" shows are actually game shows. Survivor is a game show, so are Big Brother, The Bachelor, Top Chef, Project Runway, RuPaul's Drag Race. They spend more time with the contestants than a $20,000 Pyramid used to, and in the case of the Bachelor(ette) the competition is perhaps for an unusual prize, but they're clearly game shows by any definition.

Most of the other "reality tv" shows are semi-scripted soaps - The Hills, the Real Housewives series, and so on.

Also, documentaries could be called "reality films" and they have a perfectly good reason for existing. It's all about the artistry of the composition and the storytelling through the edits. No one's producing Borges' map as a tv show or documentary film.
   2113. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM (#4352510)
Depressing.

Today marks the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, and thus 40 years of an angry, hyper-religious, sex-phobic movement that has sought every avenue it can to turn back the clock, and return abortion to the black market. Anti-choice efforts have been successful in reducing access to safe, legal abortion, but for the past 40 years, pro-choice forces have maintained at least one clinic in every state in the country.

That might not last. Now various red states compete to see which can be the first to end legal abortion within their borders. As we take stock of where things stand in 2013, here are the three states likeliest to reach that goal in the near future.

Alabama: Alabama already has some of the most restrictive abortion rights in the country, which have been used to hound one of the last remaining clinics (the site of Eric Rudolph’s bombing in 1998) out of business, leaving the city of Birmingham with one clinic. To make things worse, the Alabama Supreme Court recently declared fetuses to be “children” under state law, giving those who believe embryonic personhood is the key to ending legal abortion a foothold. The decision explicitly made an exception for abortion, but anti-choicers hope that by routinely prosecuting pregnant women for “child abuse” or possibly even holding women criminally responsible for miscarriages, the groundwork can be laid for a legal decision banning abortion completely.

South Dakota: Voters in South Dakota have rejected bans on abortion twice in recent years, but conservative legislators will not be swayed by the public will as they try to chase off the last remaining clinic in the state. A law requiring abortion patients to wait 72 hours and endure a lecture at an anti-choice “crisis pregnancy center” before getting an abortion has been tied up in court, but in December, Planned Parenthood dropped its challenge to the 72-hour waiting period. (They are still contesting the mandatory shaming session that the law requires.) Getting full-time doctors to provide abortions under these circumstances is nearly impossible; the doctor who currently performs abortions at the state's sole facility, in Sioux Falls, travels in from elsewhere to do so. If that doctor stops being able to travel so much, legal abortion may end in South Dakota.

Mississippi: In 2011, Mississippi voters rejected a ballot initiative aimed at banning abortion by giving fertilized eggs “personhood”—as in, the same rights as a living person. As with South Dakota, legislators have blown past the public’s expressed will to concoct a scheme to close Jackson Women’s Health Organization, the last remaining clinic in the state. They passed a law requiring abortion doctors to have admitting privileges at a local hospital, even though there is no medically necessary reason for such a restriction. To no one’s great surprise, the clinic’s doctors were unable to get these privileges, due in no small part to the area hospitals’ reluctance to draw negative attention from anti-choice militants. A judge placed an injunction on the law, but it was lifted this month, and state inspectors have already visited the clinic, which expects to receive a letter ordering it to shut down, which will no doubt kick off another round of legal actions. Options are running out for Jackson Women’s Health Organization, and for the people of Mississippi.

Link.
   2114. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM (#4352511)
A male nurse has been arrested on suspicion of committing a sex act on a corpse at a Sherman Oaks hospital, police said Monday.

Alejandro Lazo, 61, was arrested Sunday on a state Health and Safety Code violation because the body was deceased, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

Lazo, of Reseda, was released on bail while investigators pursue leads in the case, police said.

Police did not release the name of the hospital. No other details were immediately available.

Wasn't even a sexy nurse. Even worse, it was a murse.
   2115. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM (#4352512)
Fox's lineup of reality shows No-Pants Island and Fart Date are the apex.
   2116. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM (#4352513)

Most of the other "reality tv" shows are semi-scripted soaps - The Hills, the Real Housewives series, and so on.

Storage Wars is having this problem with a former cast member, Dave Hester claiming that the storage units they were bidding on was a) salted with good stuff, b) certain cast members were notified of the contents of storage lockers to help bid up the price, and c) given extra money from production seperate from the salary they get on the show to help bid up lockers.
   2117. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM (#4352515)
The old saying that "too good a pool stroke is a sure sign of a misspent youth" might be equally applied to adulthood, in the cases of anyone who knows anything more than the names of those "reality" TV shows. (/snark)
   2118. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM (#4352520)
Yes, yes, the popular culture when you were young had great merit and value, the popular culture when other people were young is empty and destructive.

To be clear, some of the shows characterized as "reality tv" are bad (Real Housewives, The Bachelor, Big Brother), some are ok to good (Top Chef, Project Runway, early Real World), some are really pretty great (RuPaul's Drag Race).
   2119. Delorians Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM (#4352540)
Re: 2104, yes, many, many many, evil crimes were committed, and every bit of anger towards then men who committed these crimes is justified. That being said, the hope among us Catholics is that the reforms put in place within the past decade in dioceses across the country will prevent this sort of tragedy from ever occurring again. Regarding the specific situation of Los Angeles, from my reading of the excerpted article it appears that all of the referenced crimes occurred prior to 2002. With Mahoney's 2011 retirement, none of the Cardinals and Archbishops from the period of time when transfer of abuser priests was occurring are still serving as heads of archdioceses.
   2120. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM (#4352547)
BALI, Indonesia (AP) — An Indonesian court sentenced a British grandmother to death on Tuesday for smuggling cocaine worth $2.5 million in her suitcase onto the resort island of Bali — even though prosecutors had sought only a 15-year sentence.

Lindsay June Sandiford, 56, wept when judges handed down the sentence and declined to speak to reporters on her way back to prison, covering her face with a floral scarf. She had claimed in court that she was forced to take the drugs into the country by a gang that was threatening to hurt her children.

Indonesia, like many Asian countries, is very strict on drug crimes, and most of the more than 40 foreigners on its death row were convicted of drug charges.
   2121. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM (#4352548)
i enjoy top chef

in this season it boggles the mind that the contestant josie is still around

i keep referring to her as this season's 'lisa'. this was a contestant from a few years back who was almost eliminated at least a half dozen times, slipped into the finals as they took 3 chefs instead of 2, and then finally did well and almost stole the title after a season of making garbage

it was mind-boggling.
   2122. Chicago Joe Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM (#4352550)
Mahony was out of town but issued a statement Monday apologizing for his mistakes and saying he had been "naive" about the lasting impacts of abuse. He has since met with 90 abuse victims privately and keeps an index card with each victim's name in his private chapel, where he prays for them daily, he said. The card also includes the name of the molesting priest "lest I forget that real priests created this appalling harm."

And he's in no way criminally liable?
   2123. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM (#4352552)

Indonesia, like many Asian countries, is very strict on drug crimes, and most of the more than 40 foreigners on its death row were convicted of drug charges.

How much drug use is there in Indonesia (and/or those other Asian countries)? Not that that justifies over-the-top sentences like this, but just as a matter of interest. I understand Malaysia doesn't have that much of a problem with teens keying cars.
   2124. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM (#4352556)
2122:

I had the same thought. I think it is just a matter of time before the secular authorities go after the top brass. Now, if they can do so even more in the business world.
   2125. Danny Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM (#4352561)
And that's the defense offered by the diocese's lawyer!

It's a bit unclear, but it sounds like that was one of the internal emails that was part of the disclosure--not a public defense being offered by the church.
   2126. Shredder Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM (#4352562)
some are really pretty great (RuPaul's Drag Race).
Two words: Duck Dynasty. Of course, it comes across as pretty scripted, but it's still pretty hilarious. And not in a "laugh at the hicks" sort of way. I mean, these guys are successful businessmen. It's more of a "laugh at this crazy family who just happen to be sort of hickish" sort of thing. I have cousins like that, successful businessmen in a small town who are really pretty upper class in terms of taste, but still occasionally come across as yokels to us big city folk. And even though the Duck Dynasty guys are in on the gag, it's still pretty funny.
Keith Law had a good recap of the last episode, which was a joke. In any real kitchen, Josie would have been fired for simply refusing to do what the chef had asked her to do repeatedly. And the judges should have known something was up, and never even bothered to ask "what happened that led to this". And of course the other contestants didn't bother to say anything, probably knowing that they're a lot better off going up against Josie than Kristen. But there was still something off about judges table. The way Padma seemed to go overboard bashing Kristen makes me think something wasn't on the up and up. Like they lost John a couple weeks ago, so they needed to keep a villain around. Also, restaurant wars is lame. I'd almost rather lose the week before so that I wouldn't have to be head chef. The head chef on the losing team seems to go home an awful lot, even when it's someone else's dish that gets screwed up.
   2127. Lassus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM (#4352566)
i enjoy top chef

Common ground! Good lord yes. There is no reality there. They are keeping her for the hate value. (risotto of death to Shredder) And restaurant wars is always my least favorite part. It's like a rats-in-a-sack torture experment.

As long as we're taking an entertainment break, I'm re-watching Treme. Saw the first season and a third, and then was distracted after that, so mercy as far as talking about events past. But I'm really really enjoying it. That violinist was and is a heartbreaker, for sure.
   2128. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM (#4352568)
USP, a scientific nonprofit that according to their website "sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide" first released the Food Fraud Database in April 2012.

The organization examined more than 1,300 published studies and media reports from 1980-2010. The update to the database includes nearly 800 new records, nearly all published in 2011 and 2012.

Among the most popular targets for unscrupulous food suppliers? Pomegranate juice, which is often diluted with grape or pear juice.

"Pomegranate juice is a high-value ingredient and a high-priced ingredient, and adulteration appears to be widespread," Lipp said. "It can be adulterated with other food juices…additional sugar, or just water and sugar."

Lipp added that there have also been reports of completely "synthetic pomegranate juice" that didn't contain any traces of the real juice.

USP tells ABC News that liquids and ground foods in general are the easiest to tamper with:
•Olive oil: often diluted with cheaper oils
•Lemon juice: cheapened with water and sugar
•Tea: diluted with fillers like lawn grass or fern leaves
•Spices: like paprika or saffron adulterated with dangerous food colorings that mimic the colors

This is why I only eat meat and meat byproducts.
   2129. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM (#4352571)
Only Krusty brand pork products and by-products for me.
   2130. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM (#4352574)
Also, restaurant wars is lame. I'd almost rather lose the week before so that I wouldn't have to be head chef. The head chef on the losing team seems to go home an awful lot, even when it's someone else's dish that gets screwed up.

RW actually sends people across the board home.

S1: Sous Chef
S2: Sous Chef
S3: Exec Chef
S4: Exec Chef
S5: Front of House
S6: Front of House
S7: Exec Chef
S8: Exec Chef
S9: Nobody on the losing team really took the lead, so they axed the guy with the bad dish. He did do some expo, switching with eventual Top Chef winner, Paul Qui on that job.
S10: Exec Chef

Exec Chef is clearly a hard job in RW, you're a first among leaders instead of being the clear leader for example. But its not the death sentence many think it is. You just got to make sure you don't screw up too badly.
   2131. Chicago Joe Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM (#4352575)
Spices: like paprika or
saffron
adulterated with dangerous food colorings that mimic the colors

Why would you even bother with paprika? And saffron strikes me as particularly hard to fake.
   2132. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM (#4352577)
Well, sometimes I'll treat myself to the Chef Krusty Brunch-In-A-Can.
   2133. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM (#4352578)
The old saying that "too good a pool stroke is a sure sign of a misspent youth" might be equally applied to adulthood, in the cases of anyone who knows anything more than the names of those "reality" TV shows. (/snark)

Yes, yes, the popular culture when you were young had great merit and value, the popular culture when other people were young is empty and destructive.

That'd be a good point, except that I've never gushed over the equally moronic "youth culture" of my youth, and I was talking about adults who still watch this stuff long after they've reached voting age. I apologize to any chronological teenagers who may be lurking here.
   2134. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM (#4352585)
A) Thinking maybe this no prisoners partisan warfare stuff become a liability, and it's time to reel it back in for the good of the party/ideology.

B) Thinking maybe this no prisoners partisan warfare stuff has become bad for the country, and while he still believes what he believes, wants to be a 'patriot'.

C) Has decided he wants to make it onto the cocktail circuit and knows he needs to separate wheat from chaff amongst his supporters?

A and C, masquerading as B. He's not Rush, so he's gotten the memo that it's time to reconsider the strategy and tactics. As Harv mentioned last month, the GOP is now in the "detox the brand" phase of the national campaign, knowing the demographics screw them long term. The PR push to become "loyal opposition" rather than "batshit crazy nutjobs" is a pincer move in combination with the gerrymander and modify electoral college rules flank.
   2135. Shredder Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM (#4352593)
Exec Chef is clearly a hard job in RW, you're a first among leaders instead of being the clear leader for example. But its not the death sentence many think it is. You just got to make sure you don't screw up too badly.
Well, that's a 50% failure rate for the executive chef, which isn't insignificant. In Kristen's case, she went home because she was unable to display a skill (leadership) that no one else except Sheldon was required to display. It's one of the only challenges where you can be sent home for what was clearly someone else's mistake.
   2136. DA Baracus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM (#4352595)
Josie is the new Carla. Somehow she'll make it to the final, although at least she knows she sucks.
   2137. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM (#4352596)
Jack: All of my summer replacement shows were big hits. America's Next Top Pirate, Are You Stronger Than a Dog, MILF Island.
Liz: MILF Island?
Jack: 25 super hot moms. 50 eighth grade boys. No rules.
Liz: Oh yeah. Didn't one of those women turn out to be a prostitute?
Jack: That doesn't mean she's not a wonderful, caring MILF.

2138. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM (#4352597)
Also, restaurant wars is lame.
Restaurant Wars is great television - it's the episode I look forward to most every year, even though it can end with broader injustice. The challenge is semi-ridiculous, but it's the best test of the chefs in the competition. They have to create a complete menu, and then they have to really work the line and put out high-quality food from a real kitchen, while maintaining at least competent service. (I don't like the "buy a restaurant at Pier One" thing, and I was really annoyed at the "rent-a-kitchen" twist this year, though it seems to have worked out.)

Like all right-thinking Americans, I can't stand Josie. "I've been dubbed 'The Global Soul Chef.'" Choke on your stupid branded sweatband #######.

But I do understand where Kristen was coming from. She's not a reality tv star, she's a sous chef at one of Boston's best couple restaurants, learning under Barbara Lynch's world-class team, and her goal in this show is much more to raise her profile in the culinary world (and have fun competing) than to win prizes. Her food was obviously great, and she didn't do anything that would give a potential employer pause. She perhaps could have found a way to lay blame on Josie, but I understand why she didn't risk it.

I don't buy that the producers changed the outcome. Tom Colicchio and Anthony Bourdain have both vouched for the integrity of decision-making on the show, and I trust them. It seemed to me much more that Padma had a bee in her hair about Kristen - I have heard enough stories about Padma to believe that she was seizing the opportunity to get the younger model lady kicked off her show which headlines her prettiness. Tom said that he'd have voted differently if he knew what happened, and I'd have liked to see the full discussion at judges' table to see what was and wasn't asked.
   2139. greenback calls it soccer Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM (#4352599)
The central tension of the story is how will Downton survive

From the bits I've watched the central tension is when/how it will collapse. They have pulled a couple of rabbits from their hats, but in spite of this luck and in spite of their advantages, they're doomed. I guess it's not surprising that Stuart Varney doesn't recognize their fate.
   2140. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:00 PM (#4352606)
Josie is the new Carla. Somehow she'll make it to the final, although at least she knows she sucks.

first, carla was by all accounts a fine person.on the show josie seems like a weasel

second, carla was funny. josie is.........................not

third, carla had moments of cooking really well. josie, not so much

honestly da, i don't know how you came to this comparison. it flies in the face of the evidence
   2141. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:02 PM (#4352610)
Why would you even bother with paprika?

It's kind of tough to make a good chicken paprikash without it.
   2142. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:06 PM (#4352611)
Carla's also made a really good run at the 2nd half of the season to help justify her place in her season. I was more annoyed at Horesa winning than what Carla did.
   2143. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:06 PM (#4352612)
Agreed with Harveys about Carla. I was growing tired of her shtick by the time she got eliminated, but Carla cooked some really good food and always seemed like a perfectly fine person. Perhaps not someone I wanted to be friends with, but a fine person. And calling out Stefan's egregious sexism is fine by me.

(DA couldn't have meant Carla from season five, right? Carla from season 5 was the best, and obviously a highly talented chef.)
   2144. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:08 PM (#4352614)
I was more annoyed at Horesa winning than what Carla did.
Let us never speak of this again.
   2145. Lassus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:13 PM (#4352615)
Tom Colicchio and Anthony Bourdain have both vouched for the integrity of decision-making on the show, and I trust them.

To shout-out again, Colicchio (and other big names from Top Chef) showed in the first season of Treme, and Bourdain co-wrote the season 2 opener. (Probably a lot of assist on the restaurant stuff.)

I found Carla annoying, but felt guilty about it, as she was obviously a rather sweet person.
   2146. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:17 PM (#4352618)
i didn't enjoy season 6 because it was such a clear line between who was good and who was second tier

boring
   2147. DA Baracus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:19 PM (#4352623)
honestly da, i don't know how you came to this comparison. it flies in the face of the evidence

They're both incredibly annoying and didn't deserve to get as far as they did.

(DA couldn't have meant Carla from season five, right? Carla from season 5 was the best, and obviously a highly talented chef.)

The year Richard Blais should have won but choked in the final.
   2148. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:20 PM (#4352624)
and i don't like hugh whatsisname as a judge

nor that toby doofus
   2149. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:21 PM (#4352626)
da

carla hall? tall african-american? she was just a naturally giddy person

i put the g in grump and she didn't faze me at all
   2150. DA Baracus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:22 PM (#4352628)
Hugh Acheson is hilarious. I want to see more of him as a judge.
   2151. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:26 PM (#4352633)
There was no Carla in that season (season four). The super-annoying, lasted-way-too-long-without-winning-anything contestant from season 4 was Lisa, whom Harveys already mentioned.

Adorable tall Carla was season five, and she won a bunch of challenges, cooked some really classic French food, impressed Tom multiple times, and was utterly charming.
   2152. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:27 PM (#4352634)

Blais was season 4, and he still lost to Stephanie Izard, who was one of the best contestants on the show. Season 5 was Stefan's and his sleepwalking though the finals.
   2153. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:28 PM (#4352635)
as an amateur in the kitchen i enjoy this type of show. i like how much they appreciate good knife skills. i really enjoy the butchering sessions.

what drove me nuts is how many seasons went by before they asked anyone to bake a pie. and then incensed wehn nobody actually made a true pie but made some kind of pie derivative

yes, i know baking is not being a chef. but i think a chef worth his/her salt should be able to roll dough, cut up apples, toss in sugar, cinammon, some butter and lemon and bake something for 45 minutes. c'mon
   2154. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:29 PM (#4352636)
Hugh Acheson is hilarious.
I enjoyed Hugh as a contestant, but as a judge I find him shticky and rarely insightful. No one will ever be as bad as Toby, of course. Hugh's hardly bad, he's just, they can do better. It's too bad Emeril has totally checked out. I've liked Wolfgang Puck.
   2155. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:29 PM (#4352637)
blais was fun to watch but if i had to be around him i would have taken that nitrogen and freeze dried his balls in his sleep
   2156. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:30 PM (#4352640)

Adorable tall Carla was season six, and she won a bunch of challenges, cooked some really classic French food, impressed Tom multiple times, and was utterly charming.

Season five. Season six had the brothers and Kevin Gillispe.
   2157. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4352645)
Blais was season 4, and he still lost to Stephanie Izard, who was one of the best contestants on the show.
And Stephanie has proven her worth in the real world - her restaurant The Girl and the Goat is the best-reviewed, most difficult reservation to get in Chicago (<$100, non-required tasting menu division). I was able to stop in for a bite at the bar, it was excellent.

Although, you know which Top Chef contestant's restaurant was about 80,000 times better than you'd ever expect? Heather Terhune. Remember her, the incredibly mean overweight lady from season 9 (last year), who cooked middling American food and left midway through the season? Her Chicago restaurant Sable is seriously excellent, and the sweet corn creme brulee is one of the dishes I remember most clearly from the past year.
   2158. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4352646)
Jack: All of my summer replacement shows were big hits. America's Next Top Pirate, Are You Stronger Than a Dog, MILF Island.
and who can forget homonym?

host: your next word is meet/meat
contestant: when two people run into each other
host: nope, sorry, it's the other one. your next word is stair/stare
contestant: the things you climb
host: no no, it's the other one.
contestant: it's always the other one!! let me see the card
   2159. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM (#4352647)
but as a judge I find him shticky and rarely insightful.

agreed
   2160. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:34 PM (#4352648)
Wow. Random outbreak of reality TV conversation. Call me when it's over.
   2161. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:35 PM (#4352650)
Season five. Season six had the brothers and Kevin Gillispe.
Dah, you caught the mistake before I edited. yes, season five - the season which we will otherwise never speak of again.
   2162. DA Baracus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:35 PM (#4352651)
Hmm, for some reason I thought Carla was on the Blais season. But yes, that is who I am thinking of, the one from season 5. Incredibly annoying. Now that I remember it better, that whole season stunk.
   2163. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:35 PM (#4352652)
michelle bernstein can be scatching but says meaningful things
   2164. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:37 PM (#4352653)
Wow. Random outbreak of reality TV conversation. Call me when it's over.

yes sam, there are shows beyond what your rabbit ears can pull in for you 13" magnavox
   2165. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4352655)

2162. DA Baracus uses plausible baseball judgment Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:35 PM (#4352651)

Hmm, for some reason I thought Carla was on the Blais season. But yes, that is who I am thinking of, the one from season 5. Incredibly annoying.

That's because she was, in Season 8 when the show decided to have a Top Chef 'All-Stars' featuring everyone who didn't win. AKA, the most Schadenfreude season, the way Marcel and Elia went out was just delicious in their tears.

Edit: And Carla really cleaned up in Season 8 with winning multiple challenges. She lost in a bullshit challenge in semi-finals that included an actual kitchen fire. They should have just scrapped the challenge and start over again, or did a double elimination in the next ep or something.
   2166. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:46 PM (#4352657)
season 8 had some interesting setups. i really enjoyed the cooking for the sesame street characters. i got a kick out of that

the 'not a cookie' by cookie monster was tremendous
   2167. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:53 PM (#4352660)
Season 6 was excruciatingly predictable. In most seasons, Jennifer would have been a strong contender for the win, but it became clear that Kevin and the Voltaggios were competing in the wrong tier, the competitive reality show cooking tiers (non-pastry division) being Iron Chef/Top Chef Masters ---> Top Chef ---> Chopped/Extreme Chef ---> 24 Hour Restaurant Battle/Hell's Kitchen ---> MasterChef --------------------> Worst Cooks in America.
   2168. Chicago Joe Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:54 PM (#4352662)
the 'not a cookie' by cookie monster was tremendous

As a non-Top Chef fan, but the father of a 2.5 year old, this sounds tremendous.
   2169. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4352663)
I used to watch a lot of "Top Chef" and enjoyed it with the exception of Padma who I can't stand anymore. I've read a few of her interviews and she definitely seems to be someone that you wouldn't want to be around for any length of time. As far as the show itself, its like most reality shows with manufactured drama. I can't argue too much of the final results for most seasons with the exception of Season 6 that DJS mentioned.
   2170. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4352665)

I used to watch a lot of "Top Chef" and enjoyed it with the exception of Padma who I can't stand anymore. I've read a few of her interviews and she definitely seems to be someone that you wouldn't want to be around for any length of time.

I like Gail as the host a lot, (even if her show, Top Chef: Just Desserts is dreck) and think she would work much better at that job instead of just being a rotating judge. But the producers are never going to get rid of Padma.
   2171. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4352666)
According to Al-Jazeera documentary, prisoners in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Gitmo were forced to listen to Drowning Pool. Now that's a war crime if one ever existed.
   2172. DA Baracus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:00 PM (#4352668)
According to Al-Jazeera documentary, prisoners in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Gitmo were forced to listen to Drowning Pool. Now that's a war crime if one ever existed.

At least it wasn't Nickelback, Maroon 5, One Direction, Justin Beiber, etc.
   2173. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:01 PM (#4352671)
I like Gail as the host a lot, (even if her show, Top Chef: Just Desserts is dreck) and think she would work much better at that job instead of just being a rotating judge. But the producers are never going to get rid of Padma.

I can never get into the dessert-based shows. I don't eat dessert very often and when I do, a nice plain old slice of cheesecake is all I need.

I would be in favor of Top Chef: Just Deserts, in which Lisa, Josie, John from this season, Hosea, etc. are just driven out to the desert and left there.
   2174. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:02 PM (#4352672)
Bieber has some songs way better than the best of Nickelback/Drowning Pool/Maroon 5. The great benefit of not writing your own music is that you can buy good songs from other people.
   2175. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:02 PM (#4352673)
chicago

one of the contestants made something they all liked to eat but that the characters stated 'not a cookie'.

cookie monster vigorously shaking his head and then getting all worked up over it not being a cookie was classic cookie monster schtick but still fun
   2176. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:02 PM (#4352674)
At least it wasn't Nickelback, Maroon 5, One Direction, Justin Beiber, etc.

Playing One Direction or Bieber to inmates, it doesn't even get covered up for later, the guard's superior just summarily executes the guard.
   2177. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:02 PM (#4352676)
yes sam, there are shows beyond what your rabbit ears can pull in for you 13" magnavox

1. I have a flat screen hi-def something or other.
2. The antenna is digital.
   2178. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:03 PM (#4352677)
Playing One Direction or Bieber to inmates, it doesn't even get covered up for later, the guard's superior just summarily executes the guard.

All that said, is anyone else bothered that Drew Brees just intimidates himself into stealing Harry's Pepsi?
   2179. DA Baracus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:05 PM (#4352680)
All that said, is anyone else bothered that Drew Brees just intimidates himself into stealing Harry's Pepsi?

I'm bothered that Drew Brees agreed to be in a commercial with them.
   2180. Tripon Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:07 PM (#4352683)

I can never get into the dessert-based shows. I don't eat dessert very often and when I do, a nice plain old slice of cheesecake is all I need.

Oh, Just desserts is just a terribad show. If you thought the regular chefs on TC were weird, JD had an actual crazy person who actually broke down on the show, punched a producer, and assulted somebody else while on the show, an legitmate pedophile almost winning its first season, and just a run of people who should never run a team in any field.
   2181. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:13 PM (#4352687)
Oh, Just desserts is just a terribad show. If you thought the regular chefs on TC were weird, JD had an actual crazy person who actually broke down on the show, punched a producer, and assulted somebody else while on the show, an legitmate pedophile almost winning its first season, and just a run of people who should never run a team in any field.

A chef once told me that 95% of chefs have a substance abuse problem, are mentally ill, or are a just a giant #######.
   2182. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:17 PM (#4352688)
Well, damn, besides the tragedy for the children affected, this is sure to fire up the nutters ...

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Emelie is plagued by hallucinations and nightmares. When she wakes up, she's often paralyzed, unable to breathe properly or call for help. During the day she can barely stay awake, and often misses school or having fun with friends. She is only 14, but at times she has wondered if her life is worth living.

Emelie is one of around 800 children in Sweden and elsewhere in Europe who developed narcolepsy, an incurable sleep disorder, after being immunized with the Pandemrix H1N1 swine flu vaccine made by British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline in 2009.

Finland, Norway, Ireland and France have seen spikes in narcolepsy cases, too, and people familiar with the results of a soon-to-be-published study in Britain have told Reuters it will show a similar pattern in children there.

Their fate, coping with an illness that all but destroys normal life, is developing into what the health official who coordinated Sweden's vaccination campaign calls a "medical tragedy" that will demand rising scientific and medical attention.

Europe's drugs regulator has ruled Pandemrix should no longer be used in people aged under 20. The chief medical officer at GSK's vaccines division, Norman Begg, says his firm views the issue extremely seriously and is "absolutely committed to getting to the bottom of this", but adds there is not yet enough data or evidence to suggest a causal link.

Others - including Emmanuel Mignot, one of the world's leading experts on narcolepsy, who is being funded by GSK to investigate further - agree more research is needed but say the evidence is already clearly pointing in one direction.

"There's no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Pandemrix increased the occurrence of narcolepsy onset in children in some countries - and probably in most countries," says Mignot, a specialist in the sleep disorder at Stanford University in the United States.

Link.
   2183. spike Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:30 PM (#4352693)
   2184. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:31 PM (#4352695)
I've never actually gotten a flu shot. I'm not a crazy anti-vaccine person, I'm just kind of lazy and I always have this assumption that since I'm sort of young and rarely get sick (almost never if you don't stuff caused by seasonal allergies) I don't need to bother. I'm pretty bad with personal food safety too, as I eat lots of raw beef and raw eggs and leave things that I'm eating sitting out forever.

But boy, did I wish I had a vaccine the swine flu year. Wasn't tested, but my doctor was pretty sure I had it (and was pretty mad that I let a fever go for 2 weeks without doing anything). I was essentially bedridden for almost a month (well, computer chair-ridden) and literally had no energy to do much of anything. That was definitely the sickest I've ever been since I was a month or so old.

Naturally, I didn't learn my lesson and still don't get flu shots. There's a really high threshold for getting me to do things that are both not fun and require me putting on pants.

2185. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:39 PM (#4352699)
I avoid flu shots because I hate the idea of whiffing on my one chance to be patient zero in a humanity cleansing bioshock event.
   2186. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4352707)
I get a flu shot every year. The last few years my employers have done them at work totally free (It pays for itself in less lost time) for basically anyonen in the building who wanders over.

Since I have kids (aka plague rats, typhoid children) it is important to get every bit of help against what they bring home that it is possible to get. And when I get enough sleep I don't get sick (generally) so I am pretty healthy most years.
   2187. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:56 PM (#4352709)
I avoid flu shots because I hate the idea of whiffing on my one chance to be patient zero in a humanity cleansing bioshock event.

While that sounds cool, nobody's going to call something "Szymborski's Disease." They'll just use the last name of the next dude to get it after me.
   2188. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 02:58 PM (#4352713)
sam

i take comfort in you being a bitter loner. the herd immunity premise is not compromised by you lurking in those tunnels beneath atlanta
   2189. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:11 PM (#4352725)
Oddly enough, despite being such a proponent of big gov health care -- I don't get flu shots, either...

Dumb, I suppose -- it's a mix of the same laziness Dan mentions, as well as a bit of irrational fear of needles (not to the point I've never gotten one - I have a time or two before, without fainting even!).

I've been very lucky - knock on Kerry Wood - in that I don't think I've gotten "the flu" to any serious degree perhaps ever... Maybe a day or two of sniffles every couple years, but nothing that's even caused me to miss work (except in a play hooky sense... and when I do have the sniffles, I do work from home).

I think having no typhoid children plays a big part in this... should I ever spawn any of the little incubators, they're gonna be bubble boys and/or bubble girls, even if they're completely healthy... why take chances?
   2190. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4352729)

But you would never know about it.
   2191. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:22 PM (#4352733)

Not necessarily - Mary Mallon (Typhoid Mary) was patient zero for the turn of the century typhus outbreak and she was just a carrier...
   2192. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:26 PM (#4352737)
There's a really high threshold for getting me to do things that are both not fun and require me putting on pants.

Not as high as the threshold for getting me ro do things that are both not fun, and require me to take my pants off.
   2193. base ball chick Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:30 PM (#4352740)
i can't believe how many people who could get FREE flu shots won't

kind of reminds me of people who drive after drinking cuz they've never had a problem driving after drinking

i see that the lounge has moved here or are there now 2 separate lounges?
   2194. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:35 PM (#4352746)
Dumb, I suppose -- it's a mix of the same laziness Dan mentions, as well as a bit of irrational fear of needles

I'm a biomedical research scientist and until recently was co-owner of a preclinical contract research laboratory (or "CRO" in the industry jargon) specializing in collecting animal data for FDA review prior to human trials. One of our clients was developing a needle-free injection device, ostensibly for use in impoverished areas where sterile needles and such were hard to come by. After a series of trials in pigs it was determined that their device was safe and efficacious and they got their FDA clearance to move ahead with human trials.

Perhaps a year later I was at a conference and this company had a booth set up in the exhibitors' area - "Free Flu Shots With Our Amazing Gizmo". It was the appropriate time of the year so I went up to the booth and introduced myself as someone who helped support their FDA submission and simply couldn't leave the convention center without experiencing their device firsthand.

I sat down and rolled up my sleeve. Their nurse pressed the device, which was about the same size and shape as a Dodger Dog, against my left arm. We were chatting breezily until she pressed the button to activate the device, at which point I had an experience not unlike having my deltoid bludgeoned with a tire iron. I'm absolutely comfortable with needles and shots, perfectly happy to give myself injections when needed, but this was easily worse than any needle-based injection I ever felt - worse than any 5 injections, in fact, and I've had an 18GA needle in my arm before. I was too stunned by the sensation to even vocalize (and boy wouldn't that have been embarrassing) and smiled, thanked the nurse, and stood up. The next day my arm was still quite sore, although there was no bruising (consistent with my pig data, fat load of warning that gave me). So, you know, gimmie the needle any day.

Anyone had the intranasal vaccine this season?

2195. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:39 PM (#4352748)

I'm sure I'd hang around long enough to know I took some of you mooks out with me.
   2196. Ron J2 Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:39 PM (#4352749)
#2189 I got the flu shot for the first time ever this year. I just happened to have a checkup during flu season. "While you're here ..."

2197. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:43 PM (#4352754)
Anyone had the intranasal vaccine this season?

The eldest boy hates - no HATES - needles, so we have him do the nasal. The first year he got flu shots we figured he should go first to be an example for his younger brother. The screams were something. Fortunately the younger went ahead anyway (I suspect to show his brother).
   2198. DA Baracus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:51 PM (#4352761)
So a black state senator who was active in the Civil Rights movement takes a day off (a holiday, actually) to attend the inauguration of the nation's first black president, and Republicans seize the opportunity to dilute the voting power of minorities. If that wasn't enough, they adjourn the senate in honor of Stonewall Jackson. I'm really at a loss to understand why republican candidates do so poorly with black voters. It just boggles the mind.

It was for the blacks! Really!

After the measure was sprung on unsuspecting Democrats, its sponsor, Republican Sen. John Watkins of Powhatan, defended it as an effort to create another majority black Senate district. What he didn’t say is that it would create even more GOP-dominant districts.

The governor has said he doesn't like it but hasn't said he'll veto it.
   2199. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 03:58 PM (#4352773)
Some marginally good news: Israeli right projected to lose ~10 seats in parliamentary elections. Likud and ultra-right Beitenu held about 1/3 of the Knesset running separately last time, now running together, exit polls suggest they'll drop to about 1/4. It's at best enough to build a very narrow coalition with their traditional religious allies, and they'll probably have to deal with parties of the center to form a government.

The likely kingmaker is a new party "Yesh Atid" ("There is a future") which ran on a platform of (a) reducing or eliminating special treatment of the ultra-orthodox and (b) a vaguely dovish alignment toward peace with the Palestinians, and (c) vaguely center-left economic policy.
   2200. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 04:00 PM (#4352776)
and a one!
Page 22 of 29 pages ‹ First  < 20 21 22 23 24 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.