Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

OTP - Jan 2013: Jewish Journal:E1: An error in baseball and Mideast politics

Tripon Posted: January 02, 2013 at 02:48 PM | 2805 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ot, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 23 of 29 pages ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›
   2201. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:00 PM (#4352778)
and a two!
   2202. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:02 PM (#4352783)
I have never taken a flu shot just because I am not a big fan of feeling sick for the rest of the day like my other co-workers used to. Then again I could have used one of these 5 years ago when I almost died of bacterial meningitis.

Biggest breakthrough in meningitis for 30 years.
   2203. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:03 PM (#4352784)

Arizona is a place where you can get a family photograph with Santa holding an AK-47, where state lawmakers point pink pistols at reporters, and where men tote AR-15s to political protests. And if one state representative gets his way, gun-loving Arizonans won’t have to worry about pesky federal gun control laws, because it will be illegal to enforce them.

Republican state Rep. Steve Smith proposed a bill last week that would prohibit public officials in the state from following any federal gun laws or regulations, fearing an effort by the Obama administration to impose harsh new restrictions on firearms. That means no background checks, no restrictions on automatic weapons or grenade launchers, and no prohibition on sale to the mentally ill, unless the state enacts its own restrictions, none of which are laid out in Smith’s bill.

While there is no penalty specified for state and local officials who follow federal law, federal judges or law enforcement agents would face felony charges punishable by up to a year in state prison. “Here’s a line in the sand: Thanks, but no thanks. Stay out with your federal regulations you’re going to impose on us,” Smith said.

HB 2291 would almost certainly be unconstitutional, as federal law trumps state law, and Smith acknowledged that there would probably be legal challenges that would have to be worked out in the courts. But he appears to be trying to get around this problem by making his legislation apply only to firearms that are manufactured in and never leave the state of Arizona, presumably in an attempt to thwart the Commerce Clause, which allows Congress to regulate interstate trade. Still, the Supreme Court has not been sympathetic to similar arguments.

And the Constitution isn’t Smith’s only problem; he’s catching some friendly fire too. Todd Rathner, an Arizona resident who sits on the board of the National Rifle Association, told the Capitol News Service that he doesn’t like the bill because of what it would do to gun dealers, who must receive federal licenses and comply with federal regulations.

“I worry about putting federal firearms licensees in the middle of a fight between us and the federal government,” he said. “It puts them between a rock and a hard place because they worry about committing a federal crime or a state crime.”

Indeed, Smith’s law specifies that firearms dealers would be barred from following the regulations mandated by the federal government to maintain their license. Still, Rathner said of Smith’s proposal, “I like the message he’s trying to send.”

Arizona isn’t the only state considering what amounts to a lite form of secession over guns. In Mississippi, Gov. Phil Bryant and state House Speaker Philip Gunn have both said they intend to block any new Obama executive orders on gun control. South Carolina lawmakers have made similar moves as well. But Arizona’s law goes much further, by not only restricting new regulations but also all existing ones, targeting “any act, law, statute, rule or regulation” from Washington on guns.

A) Good luck with that!

B) Your move, Alabama!
   2204. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:06 PM (#4352787)
Reposting from the break...

Some marginally good news: Israeli right projected to lose ~10 seats in parliamentary elections. Likud and ultra-right Beiteinu held about 1/3 of the Knesset running separately last time, now running together, exit polls suggest they'll drop to about 1/4. It's at best enough to build a very narrow coalition with their traditional religious allies, and they'll probably have to deal with parties of the center to form a government.

The likely kingmaker is a new party "Yesh Atid" ("There is a future") which ran on a platform of (a) most importantly, reducing or eliminating special treatment of the ultra-orthodox as well as (b) a vaguely dovish alignment toward peace with the Palestinians, and (c) vaguely center-left economic policy.

They're the party of central casting media personality Yair Lapid, who is also a novelist. So that's a thing.
   2205. spike Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:06 PM (#4352788)
@2198, it hasn't been passed by the Va House yet either
   2206. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:10 PM (#4352794)
@2198, it hasn't been passed by the Va House yet either

Yes, but the house is GOP controlled. Don't hold your breath.
   2207. spike Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM (#4352800)
I'm not, but I can't imagine this will stand with a gubernatorial race coming up, and a sitting governor with a 20-20 split. Upstate Virginia Republicans won't be nearly as interested in a Pyrrhic victory as their downstate brothers are. They will hand the Democrats a huge campaign issue at a time when the state is already gone from red to purple.
   2208. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:22 PM (#4352810)

I've never had a flu shot...it's a combination of laziness/business and being wary of non-essential medication in general. I go to the doctor often enough and I'm not afraid of needles, so as I get older or have kids, I will likely start to get them.
   2209. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:30 PM (#4352826)
I sat down and rolled up my sleeve. Their nurse pressed the device, which was about the same size and shape as a Dodger Dog, against my left arm. We were chatting breezily until she pressed the button to activate the device, at which point I had an experience not unlike having my deltoid bludgeoned with a tire iron. I'm absolutely comfortable with needles and shots, perfectly happy to give myself injections when needed, but this was easily worse than any needle-based injection I ever felt - worse than any 5 injections, in fact, and I've had an 18GA needle in my arm before. I was too stunned by the sensation to even vocalize (and boy wouldn't that have been embarrassing) and smiled, thanked the nurse, and stood up. The next day my arm was still quite sore, although there was no bruising (consistent with my pig data, fat load of warning that gave me). So, you know, gimmie the needle any day.

See - even knowing full well the pain would be more substantial (I have gotten plenty of shot, I just avoid them), this would be for me... I freely acknowledge it's an irrational fear/dislike.

I feel the same way about onions... I hate, hate, hate onions... green, red, sliced, diced, sauteed, vidalia, scallions, all of them. If it were within my power, I would wipe the entire allium genus off the planet (excepting garlic, which I strangely love in all forms).

They don't make me sick - but if I find one in something I'm eating, I will generally cease eating it. I am neurotic about checking ingredient labels for traces of them.

Vile, vile things.
   2210. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:34 PM (#4352832)
zonk - I've said this before, but every single time you eat out in a good restaurant, you're eating onions. Just about every sauce uses onions somewhere in its base, if only in the making of the stock. You have loved innumerable foods infused all over the place with onions.
   2211. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:41 PM (#4352838)
zonk - I've said this before, but every single time you eat out in a good restaurant, you're eating onions. Just about every sauce uses onions somewhere in its base, if only in the making of the stock. You have loved innumerable foods infused all over the place with onions.

I am aware of this... but I've been able to mentally block that out.

This is why I generally avoid heavily sauced entrees -- sure, maybe you hide their existence in certain marinades and what not -- but a clean beef makes it hard to present them so directly. My brother's a chef - and I actually had him write me up a list of common sauces in various fine dining recipes that are either light on or devoid of them.

However, this is precisely why I would wipe them off the planet if I could... because 'you people', the types that like or tolerate them, cannot be trusted with them. If you would simply leave them to be included only sliced or diced in a way that dishes could be easily ordered without them, I'd tolerate it... but the International Conspiracy to Force Onions Down my Gullet has proven ever-more ingenious in getting them down my throat in one form or another.
   2212. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:41 PM (#4352841)
Onions are yummy and wildly different in taste depending on the type and preparation. I am baffled by the hate, but you gotta be you.

For me I just wish the rest of me loved them as much as my taste buds do. Sadly it is not the case.
   2213. zenbitz Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:44 PM (#4352846)
I just can't be bothered to get a flu shot. I used to get them when our offices were adjoint to the hospital and it was a 10 minute process. Assuming I remember what day they were giving them.

I also haven't had a check up in 3 years since I pulled an abductor, but since I am 42 I should probably start going.

Can't stand reality shows, cooking shows in particular, but there's no accounting for taste.

2214. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:44 PM (#4352847)
zonk - you're a loony.
   2215. zenbitz Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:47 PM (#4352855)

Narcolepsy vaccine link is interesting. When I was in college I worked summers in a lab that studied (among other things) Narcolepy. There's a whole breed of dogs that are congetially narcoleptic. Don't know if they get the flu or not...

I guess the conspiracy thread got deleted but while I was hanging out with my son at the skate park, a plane flew overhead at altitude and a teenager warned me of the danger of aluminum in Chemtrails!

2216. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:50 PM (#4352861)

Some marginally good news: Israeli right projected to lose ~10 seats in parliamentary elections. Likud and ultra-right Beiteinu held about 1/3 of the Knesset running separately last time, now running together, exit polls suggest they'll drop to about 1/4. It's at best enough to build a very narrow coalition with their traditional religious allies, and they'll probably have to deal with parties of the center to form a government.

The likely kingmaker is a new party "Yesh Atid" ("There is a future") which ran on a platform of (a) most importantly, reducing or eliminating special treatment of the ultra-orthodox as well as (b) a vaguely dovish alignment toward peace with the Palestinians, and (c) vaguely center-left economic policy.

They're the party of central casting media personality Yair Lapid, who is also a novelist. So that's a thing.

This was fairly surprising... It sounds like Bibi should be able stay on - but only because the center-right has proven much, much better at building coalitions necessary to form a government than the center-left parties.

However, I believe pre-election polls in Israel showed precisely the opposite -- that Likud and other right-leaning parties were expected to at least hold serve, if not even pick up a bit of support. It's not quite Dewey defeats Truman - but Haaretz among others seem to be touting this as a rather surprising result.

2217. Chicago Joe Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:51 PM (#4352863)
A chef once told me that 95% of chefs have a substance abuse problem, are mentally ill, or are a just a giant #######.

There's self selection at work here. Most folks who wind up heading a kitchen have to have or develop some level of neurosis, and it expresses itself in various ways-most of them unpleasant.

In re: Padma-I once had occasion to spend time with her in a social setting and yep, she sucked. Snotty as hell, didn't want to be there, even though she was allegedly old friends with the host of the party. Party wasn't about her, and she wasn't interested.

2218. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 05:51 PM (#4352864)
zonk - you're a loony.

You know who loved onions?

Hitler.
   2219. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:00 PM (#4352877)

Hitler.

He loved dogs, too.
   2220. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:01 PM (#4352881)

Hitler.

He loved dogs, too.

I don't eat dogs, either...
   2221. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:03 PM (#4352882)
However, I believe pre-election polls in Israel showed precisely the opposite -- that Likud and other right-leaning parties were expected to at least hold serve, if not even pick up a bit of support. It's not quite Dewey defeats Truman - but Haaretz among others seem to be touting this as a rather surprising result.
It's not quite Dewey defeats Truman - the polls turned against Netenyahu in the days before the election, so the news media had the story before the voting began. But as recently as two weeks ago, a big gain or at least a hold of serve for Likud-Beiteinu was expected.

I'm not exactly familiar with Israeli politics, but it looks to me like the issue wasn't so much Netenyahu's foreign policy or even the semi-fascism of Lieberman's Beiteinu. Rather, there's a large, untapped sector of the Israeli public that really dislikes the waivers from military service and practical waivers from economic activity that the ultra-orthodox receive from the government. It's an issue that the center and left can build on.
   2222. DA Baracus is a "bloodthirsty fan of Atlanta." Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:03 PM (#4352883)
That's because you refuse to put onions on them. It's a different taste with onions. You should try it.
   2223. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:06 PM (#4352887)
I get a flu shot, but only because my mother worries when I don't. It's worth $20 to me to make her happy for a day.
   2224. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4352888)
That's because you refuse to put onions on them. It's a different taste with onions. You should try it.

Mmm, Chicago style.
   2225. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:08 PM (#4352890)
I get a flu shot, but only because my mother worries when I don't. It's worth $20 to me to make her happy for a day.

For $15, I will forge you a receipt annually...
   2226. Lassus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:18 PM (#4352897)
Bieber has some songs way better than the best of Nickelback/Drowning Pool/Maroon 5. The great benefit of not writing your own music is that you can buy good songs from other people.

As a diversion to life in boringville one summer I went to go see New Kids on the Block in the Dome in 1990(?) or so. They had more money than god at that point, so the skill level of backup musicians was startlingly high.
   2227. Lassus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:25 PM (#4352905)
Holy crap, your onion thing is practically worse than the Voyager thing.
   2228. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM (#4352909)
i gotta confess that for a group of folks who talk all the time about the need for collective action and helping out those around you the fact that some of you don't get a flu shot i find more than a bit hypocritical

as well as being really d8mn dumb.

2229. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:32 PM (#4352914)

Recent polls showed Likud losing seats- to far right parties-
instead Likud lost seats to the left,,, that was unexpected.

2230. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:39 PM (#4352925)
i gotta confess that for a group of folks who talk all the time about the need for collective action and helping out those around you the fact that some of you don't get a flu shot i find more than a bit hypocritical

I was kind of thinking the same thing HW. The shots are much more effective the more people who take them. Of course we "collectivists" still think there are strong individual rights, so we want the Gov to make the shots free and have lots of PR saying how great they are, but if people insist on not having them...
   2231. zonk Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:41 PM (#4352927)
I have no problem with the government forcing me into a getting a flu shot...

2232. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 22, 2013 at 06:56 PM (#4352935)
I have no problem with the government forcing me into a getting a flu shot...

I have a problem with the government forcing you though. That's just how I roll though.

EDIT: Onions on the other hand ...
   2233. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:00 PM (#4352938)
As for the flu shot, isn't it restricted to only certain groups of people--or, rather, I should say it is recommended that only those in certain groups (over a certain age, below a certain age, being infirm and ill in particular ways, etc.) take them. Or has that changed? I take it now, because I meet the conditions, but for years I didn't because I was under the impression I didn't.
   2234. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:02 PM (#4352939)
As for the flu shot, isn't it restricted to only certain groups of people--or, rather, I should say it is recommended that only those in certain groups (over a certain age, below a certain age, being infirm and ill in particular ways, etc.) take them.
The flu shot is important for herd immunity. Young healthy adults should get the flu shot so they don't give the flu to kids and sicker or older folks. (And because even if you're young and healthy, the flu still sucks.)
   2235. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:07 PM (#4352942)
as someone who lived in a world where vaccines were far less accessible, etc you clowns not taking advantage of what modern health makes so readily let me state very firmly that you are dumb as a box of rocks
   2236. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:08 PM (#4352943)
   2237. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:09 PM (#4352944)
ya'know, i was complimented at my last physical for not being so angry, for not lashing out at those around me so readily, for being more........mellow

how am i to maintain this new found zen with you chuckleheads?
   2238. Morty Causa Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:11 PM (#4352945)
You could check to see if there's a vaccine.
   2239. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:13 PM (#4352946)
The flu shot is important for herd immunity. Young healthy adults should get the flu shot so they don't give the flu to kids and sicker or older folks.

I train my immune system as if it was a squad of elite sniper assassins. It would hurt their training if I gave them half-dead victims. After swine flu, I am now content that my internal file on H1N1 is properly annotated and stored in my database.
   2240. Matt Clement of Alexandria Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:14 PM (#4352948)
But your immune system is precisely not the point. The great gains of immunizations are realized collectively, not individually.
   2241. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:17 PM (#4352950)
how am i to maintain this new found zen with you chuckleheads?

Just keep taking the meds, Harvey.
   2242. Shredder Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:17 PM (#4352951)
Arizona is a place where you can get a family photograph with Santa holding an AK-47, where state lawmakers point pink pistols at reporters, and where men tote AR-15s to political protests.
Funny, I always thought it was cold air that made penises shrink, but Arizona practically must have an epidemic of small penises.
   2243. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:18 PM (#4352954)
But your immune system is precisely not the point. The great gains of immunizations are realized collectively, not individually.

I'm like 99% a hermit anyway. By the time the superbug gets to me, you're already dead. And if I'm the source of the superbug, don't you guys want me taking Skip Bayless with me?

(I do, of course, have all the shots for the big things, but I had to get another MMR before college because the one I took in the late 70s turned out to be from an ineffective batch)
   2244. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:19 PM (#4352957)
I'm like 99% a hermit anyway. By the time the superbug gets to me, you're already dead. And if I'm the source of the superbug, don't you guys want me taking Skip Bayless with me?

That shriveled prune of pure bile is outlasting the cockroaches, I'm afraid ...
   2245. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:22 PM (#4352958)
I prefer to be called an asshat if you dont mind.
   2246. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:22 PM (#4352959)
And I hope to outlive Bayless to piss on his grave.
   2247. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 22, 2013 at 07:23 PM (#4352960)
ya'know, i was complimented at my last physical for not being so angry, for not lashing out at those around me so readily, for being more........mellow
I'll have to find the Lounge where your granddaughter, posting updates through your account when you were hospitalized, said she loved yoga. Seeing that sentiment with your name attached was RDF.
   2248. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 08:17 PM (#4352983)
gold star

you are not helping
   2249. base ball chick Posted: January 22, 2013 at 08:31 PM (#4352989)
i just watched a Dr G medical examiner doing an autopsy a regular guy who died of

wait for it

THE FLU

who being a guy didn't do something pansy like GET A *(^*(@! FLU SHOT!!!!!
   2250. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:30 PM (#4353005)
National Rifle Association board member, Washington Times columnist, and all-around-swell guy Ted Nugent talking with Guns.com during the Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show (S.H.O.T.):

NUGENT: I'm part of a very great experiment in self-government where we the people determine our own pursuit of happiness and our own individual freedom and liberty not to be confused with the Barack Obama gang who believes in we the sheeple and actually is attempting to re-implement the tyranny of King George that we escaped from in 1776. And if you want another Concord Bridge, I got some buddies.
NUGENT: But here is what is wrong with America today. We have a president, and everybody better write this down, and memorize this. The president of the United States goes to the Vietnam Memorial Wall and pretends to honor 58,000 American heroes who died fighting communism and then he hires, appoints and associates with communists. He pretends to pay honor to men who died fighting communism, and then he hangs out with, hires and appoints communists. He is an evil dangerous man who hates America and hates freedom. And we need to fix this as soon as possible.
NUGENT: I was in Chicago last week. I was in Chicago and said, "Hey, Obama you might want to suck on one of these you punk." Obama, he's a piece of ####, and I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let's hear it for him. And then I was in New York. I said, "Hey, Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless #####. Since I'm in California, how about [Senator] Barbara Boxer [D-CA], she might want to suck on my machine gun. And [Senator] Diane Feinstein [D-CA], ride one of these you worthless whore. Any questions?
   2251. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:40 PM (#4353007)
Any questions?

Yes, How is it you manage to walk and chew gum at the same time?
   2252. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:40 PM (#4353008)
i just watched a Dr G

I swear to God I assumed the next two words were going to be, "medicine woman"
   2253. Tilden Katz Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:44 PM (#4353009)
Ted Nugent shat his pants to avoid the draft. How do people not just laugh in his face every time he says something like this?
   2254. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:44 PM (#4353010)
The president of the United States goes to the Vietnam Memorial Wall and pretends to honor 58,000 American heroes who died fighting communism and then he hires, appoints and associates with communists.

Aside from the burning ball of earfucked stupid that is Ted Nugent in general, now's a really good time to remind the world at large that Ted Nugent is a Vietnam draft dodger.
   2255. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM (#4353011)
Ted Nugent shat his pants to avoid the draft

No he didn't. He lied to serve his "crazy man" PR in the 70's. He just took a student deferment to dodge the draft.
   2256. Joe Kehoskie Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:47 PM (#4353012)
Ted Nugent shat his pants to avoid the draft. How do people not just laugh in his face every time he says something like this?
Aside from the burning ball of earfucked stupid that is Ted Nugent in general, now's a really good time to remind the world at large that Ted Nugent is a Vietnam draft dodger.

Perhaps, like Obama and the debt ceiling, Nugent changed his mind.
   2257. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:54 PM (#4353015)
Joe if he changed his mind then he would have served. simple as that, and well he didn't.
   2258. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:55 PM (#4353017)
Perhaps, like Obama and the debt ceiling, Nugent changed his mind.

I know your default setting is to take the opposite side of whatever a "liberal" position is, but surely you shouldn't be defending Nugent, no matter how obliquely. Especially in light of his recent comments.
   2259. Joe Kehoskie Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:57 PM (#4353018)
Joe if he changed his mind then he would have served. simple as that, and well he didn't.

I was being facetious, but just to continue the Obama parallel, perhaps Nugent didn't change his mind as quickly (or as shamelessly) as Obama.

I know your default setting is to take the opposite side of whatever a "liberal" position is, but surely you shouldn't be defending Nugent, no matter how obliquely. Especially in light of his recent comments.

There was no defense of Nugent in #2256. Just a mix of facetiousness and speculation.
   2260. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 22, 2013 at 09:59 PM (#4353020)
Ted Nugent is 64. With any luck he'll be dead soon.
   2261. Joe Kehoskie Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM (#4353021)
I wonder if he got the flu vaccine.
   2262. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM (#4353022)
sam

i planned my life around being dead by age 64

didn't pan out
   2263. zenbitz Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM (#4353023)
I would just like to say, for the record that I am a lazy person for not getting a flu shot. I
   2264. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM (#4353024)
i planned my life around being dead by age 64

I said if we're lucky.
   2265. Lassus Posted: January 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM (#4353025)
I think zenbitz dropped dead of the flu as he was writing.
   2266. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM (#4353044)
   2267. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM (#4353058)
There was no defense of Nugent in #2256. Just a mix of facetiousness and speculation.
Joe never plays defense. His offense is his defense.
   2268. spike Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM (#4353065)
The one thing you can count on is that should there ever be another Concord Bridge, Ted Nugent will have pressing business elsewhere.
   2269. robinred Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM (#4353084)
Will this outburst get Nugent another visit from the Secret Service?
   2270. Tilden Katz Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:36 AM (#4353098)
Will this outburst get Nugent another visit from the Secret Service?

I hope not...let's just ignore him and let him return to the obscurity befitting a man of his talents.
   2271. Tripon Posted: January 23, 2013 at 03:55 AM (#4353114)
OURS IS THE FURY.
   2272. BrianBrianson Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:31 AM (#4353119)
It's kind of tough to make a good chicken paprikash without it.

The point wasn't "Why would you use paprika?" (which if you get decent Hungarian smoked paprika, is a godsent), but "Why would you make fake paprika, when you can buy low quality paprika for about six dollars a ton?"

Who counterfeits pennies?
   2273. Spahn Insane Posted: January 23, 2013 at 07:23 AM (#4353124)
The one thing you can count on is that should there ever be another Concord Bridge, Ted Nugent will have pressing business elsewhere.

That Whiplash Bash revival tour ain't gonna perform itself, you know.
   2274. The Good Face Posted: January 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM (#4353193)

Either that or he REALLY wasn't kidding about the whole "lazy person" thing.
   2275. Ron J2 Posted: January 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM (#4353204)
#2272 I know that the paprika story is nothing new -- that around a decade ago you just couldn't get paprika that hadn't been heavily cut (with talc as I understand it)

So I guess the answer is that you "counterfeit pennies" if it turns out to be really easy/profitable.
   2276. Greg K Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM (#4353268)
I lived with a Romanian couple for a year.

Changed my life. Paprika is a 5-tool ingredient.
   2277. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM (#4353289)

Maybe he got a hold of some bad paprika.
   2278. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM (#4353298)
Live blog on Clinton testifiying on Benghazi

This should be fun to follow.
   2279. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM (#4353328)
I tweeted a few days ago about getting a whole bunch of paprika in my eye while cooking. It burns a lot less than cayenne pepper, but it still was quite irritating.
   2280. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM (#4353331)
I never get the free flu shots that people rush to get. Same reasons as Dan.
   2281. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4353337)

An added side benefit of refusing to get the shot.
   2282. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM (#4353342)
   2283. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM (#4353354)
I never get the free flu shots that people rush to get.

Shocked I am. But hey, your call.
   2284. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM (#4353355)
I propose a sport to replace hunting where we take dart guns and track down Dan and Ray. Remember, clean neck shots, people!
   2285. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:00 PM (#4353356)
But hey, your call.

For now, at least, until Democrats mandate that everyone get one.
   2286. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:01 PM (#4353358)
Guns don't kill people! Guess what does!

Bullets. But the guns help them go really fast.
   2287. Ray (RDP) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:03 PM (#4353361)
Bullets. But the guns help them go really fast.

Or, as Tom Cruise said in Collateral, "No, I didn't kill him. I shot him. The bullets and the fall killed him."
   2288. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:04 PM (#4353362)

Quite a tale. According to FOX News, this teenager apparently shot and killed of his 3 siblings and both of his parents, using a loaded video game that'd been carelessly left unlocked and lying around the house. Hard to tell from the story whether the video game was a Colt or a Remington.
   2289. Chicago Joe Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:05 PM (#4353363)
"Why would you make fake paprika, when you can buy low quality paprika for about six dollars a ton?"

Forget flu shots, let's all chip in on a ton of paprika! Now that's collective action!
   2290. Greg K Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:16 PM (#4353371)
Or, as Tom Cruise said in Collateral, "No, I didn't kill him. I shot him. The bullets and the fall killed him."

I like Jaime Lannister

- My son, Bran, how did he come to fall from that tower?
- I pushed him out the window
- Why?
- I hoped the fall would kill him
   2291. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:21 PM (#4353373)
I like Jaime Lannister

By far the best character of those books, to date.
   2292. Fancy Pants Handle doesn't need no water Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:44 PM (#4353400)

Wait, I'm am confused. Is this the same one where it was previously reported that his parents didn't allow him to play violent video games, or watch violent movies? Or a different one?
   2293. Fancy Pants Handle doesn't need no water Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:48 PM (#4353404)
I like Jaime Lannister

By far the best character of those books, to date.

I am partial to Tyrion.
   2294. Greg K Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4353417)
I am partial to Tyrion.

I think Tyrion started out a pretty great character and now we're in this bit of a lull, waiting to see who what he's done turns him into.

Jaime started out an apparent straight up villain, but is becoming more and more interesting with every book.

EDIT: I should note that I'm a pretty big fan of Tyrion as well.

Though for me, Littlefinger brooks no competition on the top of that list.
   2295. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4353418)
I am partial to Tyrion

Word. Though I admit I am not as fond of the series as the rest of the world, for a variety of reasons.

For now, at least, until Democrats mandate that everyone get one.

Whine when someone, anyone, in power on either side actually proposes this, until then it is a very odd and empty complaint.
   2296. zenbitz Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:55 PM (#4353419)
Its true. I did keel over from the flu. However, i did manage to down load my personality into an AI so y'all are stuck with me.
   2297. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: January 23, 2013 at 01:57 PM (#4353422)
Wait, I'm am confused. Is this the same one where it was previously reported that his parents didn't allow him to play violent video games, or watch violent movies? Or a different one?
Violent video games are the reason people die, except when they aren't. Don't confuse them with guns, because they're never the reason people die.
   2298. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 02:13 PM (#4353432)

TOKYO - Taro Aso has never been one to hold his tongue. But Japan's 72 year-old deputy prime minister may have outdone himself with his latest gaffe.

At a government panel to discuss social security reforms, the former prime minister called the elderly who are unable to feed themselves "tube people," then proceeded to say the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to reduce the burden on a country tasked to pay for their medical expenses.

Adding his personal experience, Aso said he had already written a will, directing his family to let him "hurry up and die," refusing end-of-life care.

"Even if (doctors) said they could keep me alive, it would be unbearable," he said. "I would feel guilty, knowing that (treatment) was being paid for by the government."

Aso later argued that his comments were misinterpreted. He was speaking about his personal wishes, not those of all senior citizens.

The issue of elderly care remains a major challenge for Japan, the world's fastest aging country. Nearly a quarter of the population is 65 and older, with that number expected to spike to 40 percent in the next 50 years. Concerns about financial strains placed on social security and pension systems are so grave, lawmakers passed an unpopular tax hike bill last summer, agreeing to double the sales tax to 10 percent over the next three years.

Aso has a history of verbal blunders. He once compared an opposition party to the Nazis, and said he wanted Japan to become the kind of country "the richest Jews would want to live." In 2008, while still prime minister, Aso called the elderly a "feeble" group.

"Why should I have to pay taxes for people who just sit around and do nothing but eat and drink?" he said at the time.
   2299. The Good Face Posted: January 23, 2013 at 02:16 PM (#4353434)
Though for me, Littlefinger brooks no competition on the top of that list.

Littlefinger is indeed a good character, but in a setting where we're presented with lavishly written descriptions of the travails suffered by relatively minor characters travelling a few miles, Littlefinger's mysterious ability to, apparently, instantaneously teleport around Westeros kind of bugs me. He's in King's Landing! Now he's in the Riverlands! He's back in King's Landing! He's in the Reach negotiating with the Tyrells! He's back in King's Landing! He's in the Vale! And he does it all while finding the time to play unceasing games of passive-aggressive cat-and-mouse with everybody he meets. Dude is just exhausting.
   2300. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 23, 2013 at 02:18 PM (#4353437)
"Why should I have to pay taxes for people who just sit around and do nothing but eat and drink?" he said at the time.

Shouldn't we be asking that question about Congress?
Page 23 of 29 pages ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.