Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

OTP - Jan 2013: Jewish Journal:E1: An error in baseball and Mideast politics

Tripon Posted: January 02, 2013 at 02:48 PM | 2805 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ot, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 24 of 29 pages ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > 
   2301. zonk Posted: January 23, 2013 at 02:24 PM (#4353447)
Its true. I did keel over from the flu. However, i did manage to down load my personality into an AI so y'all are stuck with me.

That's fine, since the flu virus isn't IP protected (at least, until Disney reads this) -- we've already digitized it and it's being p2p'ed to a critical mass, so your virtual self should be dealt with annnnyyyy moment now...
   2302. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 02:54 PM (#4353475)
Live blog on Clinton testifiying on Benghazi

This should be fun to follow.

She behaved like an Exec. I know who raises his voice and tries to shout himself out of a situation that he finds himself uncomfortable. It's quite unbecoming. She's definitely a master of not knowing what's going on at the State Dept.
   2303. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 03:07 PM (#4353482)
But your immune system is precisely not the point. The great gains of immunizations are realized collectively, not individually.

An added side benefit of refusing to get the shot.

Wow, even your physiology is a freeloader.
   2304. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 03:07 PM (#4353483)
Violent video games are the reason people die, except when they aren't. Don't confuse them with guns, because they're never the reason people die.

After watching much Fox News over the summer I can state without fear of rebuke that guns don't kill people, Mexicans kill people.
   2305. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 03:27 PM (#4353491)
After watching much Fox News over the summer I can state without fear of rebuke that guns don't kill people, Mexicans kill people.

Guns don't kill people, goverment run health care kills people!
   2306. spike Posted: January 23, 2013 at 03:37 PM (#4353501)
Apparently the House GOP caucus didn't get their flu shots, because they are once again showing all the symptoms of Surrender Fever - catch it!
   2307. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 03:54 PM (#4353518)
Wow, even your physiology is a freeloader.

I almost went there and didn't. And now I get the best of both worlds (snark freeloading rules!).
   2308. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:03 PM (#4353523)
that must have been some conference. cause there any number of diehards willing at least by word to go to the mattresses on the debt limit

instead they come back from their gop getaway and it's all step away from the ledge action

2309. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:11 PM (#4353533)
that must have been some conference

Arms, they were atwisted. Also, I suspect there might have been a few 'Economics 101' breakout sessions for the new TP members.
   2310. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:12 PM (#4353535)
instead they come back from their gop getaway and it's all step away from the ledge action
Didn't the Big Money make it clear to the GOP it wouldn't sit still for them trashing the economy again? At least, that's what I interpreted from hints dropped by the US Chamber of Commerce and others.
   2311. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:18 PM (#4353542)
From Huff Post last week

When you've lost the Koch brothers, you've lost the game.

Republicans intent on smashing through the debt ceiling in order to wring some spending concessions out of President Obama are finding themselves awfully lonely these days, but they've kept soldiering on. The latest ally to abandon them may be the toughest to ignore, though.

The president of the group Americans For Prosperity, bankrolled by Charles G. and David H. Koch of Koch Industries, this week said the group wants spending cuts, but warned Republicans that screwing around with the debt ceiling "makes the messaging more difficult," the Financial Times writes. The AFP president also warned Republicans not to be seen as "hostage takers." That's a marked change from the summer of 2011, when AFP objected to a debt-ceiling deal because it didn't cut spending enough, the FT notes.

This is way, way beyond former House Speaker Newt Gingrich telling House Republicans to give up on its debt-ceiling threat, like he did again yesterday. Newt's always rattling on about moon bases and zoos and stuff, so nobody listens to him. And certainly the House GOP doesn't care that Sen. Susan Collins (RINO-Maine) warned them to bow to the inevitable and raise the debt ceiling, as she did yesterday. Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-DebtPanicStan) are a little tougher to take, but the cognitive dissonance arising from their debt-ceiling warnings is still manageable.

But the deep-pocketed Kochs are harder to ignore. Similar warnings recently from Tom Donohue of the Chamber of Commerce, along with the Financial Services Roundtable, the Business Roundtable and other job creators, also can't be ignored.

These people have all of the money. And if the economy goes off the cliff, as a new survey of economists strongly suggests it would in a ceiling-breach, then these people will have less money available for campaign contributions. Game over
   2312. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:21 PM (#4353546)
These people have all of the money. And if the economy goes off the cliff, as a new survey of economists strongly suggests it would in a ceiling-breach, then these people will have less money available for campaign contributions. Game over.
Yes, the Big Money made it clear.
   2313. spike Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:27 PM (#4353549)
The leash got yanked and the dogs got curbed. Same as it ever was. I hope their opponents make it clear during the next cycle that despite the campaign cries to the contrary, the Tea Party reps have gone native
   2314. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:30 PM (#4353551)
I've always assumed money ran the show, but the TP has been fighting the good fight. They may lose this battle but I expect there to be some backlash. I doubt there will be the GOP civil war that some hope for (on all sides oddly enough), but there will be some tussling I expect.
   2315. Morty Causa Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:35 PM (#4353558)
Why didn' the Democrats vote for it?
   2316. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:39 PM (#4353562)
Why didn' the Democrats vote for it?

The debt ceiling thingy? Some did. Most didn't (I hear) because a) Let the GOP deal with their stupid mess, the Dems want a clean bill, b) Pelosi was recommending folks not (for whatever political reason, but did not try I understand too hard), and c) many feal the Congressional pay gimmick is , well a gimmick and likely not constitutional.

If I have the wrong "it" then no idea.
   2317. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:41 PM (#4353564)
The TP has not been fighting the good fight. It's been fighting a stupid, mindless fight.
   2318. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4353565)
So I just got a "newsflash" that the DoD is lifting the bane on women in combat (such as it is in modern combat). Good for them I say.
   2319. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4353566)
FTA in [2306]

On the floor, Democrats made Boehner prove he had his conference on his side. Most of them withheld their votes (or voted no) until the roll call cleared the 217 vote threshold for passage.
   2320. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4353567)
The TP has not been fighting the good fight. It's been fighting a stupid, mindless fight.

The metaphorical good fight, you know, from their perspective. Hey it is just a turn of phrase, not an acutal evaluation.
   2321. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 23, 2013 at 04:51 PM (#4353573)
Oh, OK.
   2322. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:15 PM (#4353604)
Most didn't (I hear) because a) Let the GOP deal with their stupid mess, the Dems want a clean bill, b) Pelosi was recommending folks not (for whatever political reason, but did not try I understand too hard), and c) many feal the Congressional pay gimmick is , well a gimmick and likely not constitutional.

Tactically the Dems demured casting votes until the GOP had cast theirs. This basically meant that they refused to play until the GOP was on record one way or the other. If the GOP fails to pass it, then the Dems come in and save the economy with "bipartisan support" against the crazy GOP wings. If the GOP passes it, the Dems can vote no for whatever reasons and run with the GOP's abandonment of principle for the vote.
   2323. spike Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:18 PM (#4353607)
And it looks like VAWA will be the next stop on the Great Retreat from Wahington. Collins, Ayotte and Crapo will all be Senate co-sponsors.
   2324. Bitter Mouse Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:39 PM (#4353639)
Hey elections have consequences. I guess the GOP has decided to be Democrat lite* we'll see how that works out for them.

* Yes I am yanking on Joe K's chain, but there is some truth to it. In reality they need to move in some areas and stake out some other areas to fight over.
   2325. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:42 PM (#4353646)
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-DebtPanicStan) are a little tougher to take

Actually Murkowski lost in the 2010 GOP primary but ended up beating the guy backed by Palin in the general, she's still a conservative but has no need to drink the teaper koolaid or fear a teaper insurrection, so she can go off the party reservation at will- and does every now and then.
   2326. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:50 PM (#4353654)
Hey elections have consequences. I guess the GOP has decided to be Democrat lite* we'll see how that works out for them.

When Boehner was re-elected and essentially ditched the Hastert rule, he basically broke (for now, pending 2014's primaries) the Teaper hold on the House GOP- if he's willing to take a bill to the floor that has less than 50% of the GOP vote- they've been rendered toothless.

The "Hastert Rule" gave a small number of Representatives a tremendous amount of power, akin to the power held by Senators in the Senate, but the Hastert Rule was never even a "rule" in the sense that the Senate has its cloture rules and such. My guess is that after his Plan B was torpedoed by his own party mates, Boehner decided to show them that he'd had enough, get back in line like good disciplined GOPers, or I'm going to deal with the enemy. I think at elast some of the teaper leaners have gotten the message
   2327. spike Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:50 PM (#4353655)
   2328. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:50 PM (#4353656)

She behaved like an Exec. I know who raises his voice and tries to shout himself out of a situation that he finds himself uncomfortable. It's quite unbecoming. She's definitely a master of not knowing what's going on at the State Dept.

Honestly, I think Obama's gotten *way* too much grief about Benghazi. I think the State Department ###### the whole situation up on several levels and I think Obama's shown very good temperament to not, day after the election, tell every single person even remotely involved in this ####-up to hand in their resignation. No matter what the Republicans are saying, it wasn't Obama's job to micromanage every security arrangement and sort through all the apparently poor info that was coming through.

Gotta give HRC credit for ballsiness. She followed up a declaration of full personal responsibility for the State Department in the situation by declaring that absolutely nothing was actually her fault or and nothing was on her, and shifting the responsibility for the entire situation to everyone *but* her.
   2329. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 23, 2013 at 05:57 PM (#4353662)
Gotta give HRC credit for ballsiness. She followed up a declaration of full personal responsibility for the State Department in the situation by declaring that absolutely nothing was actually her fault or and nothing was on her, and shifting the responsibility for the entire situation to everyone *but* her.

Well she learned from someone who was quite masterful at this
   2330. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:02 PM (#4353669)
Well she learned from someone who was quite masterful at this

Now if *Bill* was involved, he not only would have deflected blame, he would have convinced everyone that it *was* the YouTube video that set everything off.
   2331. bunyon Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:12 PM (#4353674)
Now if *Bill* was involved, he not only would have deflected blame, he would have convinced everyone that it *was* the YouTube video that set everything off.

And nailed some pudgy Libyan ass while he was at it.
   2332. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:32 PM (#4353682)
GOP blew this Benghazi story, as a political bludgeon, the moment they equated it to 9/11. You know, when 750 times as many Americans died.
   2333. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:43 PM (#4353696)
And nailed some pudgy Libyan ass while he was at it.

It would be like that scene near the end of "Caddyshack" when Rodney Dangerfield says "We're all gonna get laid."
   2334. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:52 PM (#4353702)
GOP blew this Benghazi story, as a political bludgeon, the moment they equated it to 9/11. You know, when 750 times as many Americans died.

One problem the GOP has had recently with messaging is that many elements of their base actually believe that Obama is "just like Hitler," when you believe that equating what happened at Benghazi to what happened on 9/11 is just natural,
Obamacare = death panels, etc... The problem is that the top rungs have not been able to contain that stuff to the echo chamber, it flows out and either falls flat, or worse rebounds against them.

The Benghazi attack to me seems to be more akin to stuff like the Khobar Towers bombing, the Kenyan and Tanzanian embassy bombings, going back to 1983 Beirut Embassy bombing (actually the 1983 bombing was likely Shiite/Iranian/proto-Hezbollah in origin- the people behind Benghazi are likely the heirs of, if not some of the same people behind the 1990s embassy attacks (i.e., Al Qaeda/Salafist/Wahabi islamists) - but the Benghazi attack seems less sophisticated in a military sense...

2335. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:54 PM (#4353703)
It would be like that scene near the end of "Caddyshack" when Rodney Dangerfield says "We're all gonna get laid."

Bill Clinton would ruin every 80s movie. At the end, he'd land *both* the popular, hot girl and the nerdy, secretly hot girl.
   2336. Shredder Posted: January 23, 2013 at 06:58 PM (#4353706)
Video: Boehner: "I do believe that is their goal – to just shove us into the dustbin of history"
Sounds like a worthy pursuit to me, at least in its current form. If the GOP would like to transform itself back into a reasonable political party, that would be a different story. Of course, for most Tea Partiers, there's not much of a difference.
   2337. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 23, 2013 at 07:01 PM (#4353709)
Video: Boehner: "I do believe that is their goal – to just shove us into the dustbin of history"
Sounds like a worthy pursuit to me, at least in its current form.

Isn't that pretty much the long term goal of every political party with respect to its [ideological] adversaries?
   2338. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 23, 2013 at 07:06 PM (#4353713)
Bill Clinton would ruin every 80s movie. At the end, he'd land *both* the popular, hot girl and the nerdy, secretly hot girl.

They apparently don't make die with enough sides to roll Bill Clinton's level of charisma.
   2339. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 23, 2013 at 07:08 PM (#4353714)
Isn't that pretty much the long term goal of every political party with respect to its [ideological] adversaries?

"It's not fair, the way they want to play to win!"
   2340. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: January 23, 2013 at 07:14 PM (#4353719)
]tsh'It's not OK for other people, but it's ESPECIALLY not OK to do it to people with clinical depression. Sort of like how you shouldn't threaten to rape anyone, but it's even worse to threaten to rape someone who's already been raped.'

Worst analogy on this page.

Agreed. Note to BTF posters (and Republican politicians) - if you're thinking about discussing rape, for any reason other than to say what a horrible crime it is, DON'T.

While I'm sympathetic to your point, no. In meetings and forums I've seen and heard too many people inquiring after accurate rape statistics and related information denounced for that as 'rape-loving scum' and the like to be sanguine about your assertion.

I've also known a few too many people badly frightened by phony and conflated statistics, and resources thereby misallocated, to not think it's a real problem. Any time politics (which on this issue is the case from all sides, unfortunately) makes it all but impossible to get accurate information, it is indeed a real problem.

Telling people what they can and can't talk about isn't the way to improve the dialogue, imo.
   2341. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: January 23, 2013 at 07:25 PM (#4353723)
Speaking of the Inaugural, did someone link to the New Yorker's mock story? It's hilarious.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Responding to reports that President Obama is considering signing as many as nineteen executive orders on gun control, Republicans in Congress unleashed a blistering attack on him today, accusing Mr. Obama of “cynically and systematically using his position as President to lead the country.”

Spearheading the offensive was Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas), who charged the President with the “wanton exploitation of powers that are legally granted to him under the U.S. Constitution.”
Calling him the “Law Professor-in-Chief,” Rep. Stockman accused Mr. Obama of “manipulating a little-known section of the Constitution,” Article II, which outlines the power of the President.
“President Obama looks down the list of all of the powers that are legally his and he’s like a kid in a candy store,” Rep. Stockman said. “It’s nauseating.”

The Texas congressman said that if Mr. Obama persists in executing the office of the Presidency as defined by the Constitution, he could face “impeachment and/or deportation.”

Noting that the President has not yet signed the executive orders on gun control, Rep. Stockman said that he hoped his stern words would serve as a wake-up call to Mr. Obama: “Mr. President, there’s still time for you to get in line. But if you continue to fulfill the duties of President of the United States that are expressly permitted in the Constitution, you are playing with fire.”

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/01/republicans-accuse-obama-of-using-position-as-president-to-lead-country.html#ixzz2IqOMjlXW
   2342. Shredder Posted: January 23, 2013 at 08:58 PM (#4353766)
That story was fake? So hard to tell with this bunch of loonies.
   2343. RollingWave Posted: January 23, 2013 at 09:09 PM (#4353769)
So.... when's the US going to label Japan a currency manipulator? i mean they even STATE where they're going to manipulate the exchange rate to, even China doesn't do that.

2344. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2013 at 09:09 PM (#4353771)
They apparently don't make die with enough sides to roll Bill Clinton's level of charisma.

QFT, nerd.
   2345. Lassus Posted: January 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM (#4353794)
Speaking of guns, a good (old) friend of mine is on CNN (Piers Morgan) now talking about a documentary he produced - called Valentine Road - about a school shooting.
   2346. Joe Kehoskie Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:38 AM (#4353834)
And it looks like VAWA will be the next stop on the Great Retreat from Wahington. Collins, Ayotte and Crapo will all be Senate co-sponsors.

How do you figure? VAWA reauthorization got 68 votes in the Senate last year, and the only movement in the link involves the Dems dropping a provision the GOP didn't like.
   2347. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:45 AM (#4353836)
The Virgina state Senate is split 20-20 D/R, so while one of the Democratic Senators was at the inauguration, the state GOP redistricted the state.

So a black state senator who was active in the Civil Rights movement takes a day off (a holiday, actually) to attend the inauguration of the nation's first black president, and Republicans seize the opportunity to dilute the voting power of minorities. If that wasn't enough, they adjourn the senate in honor of Stonewall Jackson. I'm really at a loss to understand why republican candidates do so poorly with black voters. It just boggles the mind.

The whole affair puzzles me, though. Where was the Democrat's senior legislative advisor cautioning about this? Where was the awareness that if one of you goes, the other 19 better take off; at least enough of you to deprive Republicans of a quorum for this kind of nonsense?

Speaking of which, what are the chances that Democrats will be able to beat back Republican attempts in the states they control to apportion electoral votes in the next Prez election according to absurdly gerrymandered Congressional districts? No idea how effective a simple appeal to the Constitution's 'one man-one vote' would be in a case like this, and considering the anti 'one man-one vote' precedent the College itself sets there may be no case to be made, but I'd like to think that in the extreme case of a state of ten million voters, having nine CDs include ten voters each with the remaining CD holding 9,999,910 voters would be obviously un Constitutional, then you'd simply argue from there.

Still, you can't blame the GOP. They've seen the desperate need to steal elections coming for decades. They can no more refrain from cheating the vote than John McCain can keep from embarassing himself in a foreign policy discussion.

I didn't find HRC particularly impressive or unimpressive, but I've been watching The West Wing lately, so if she wasn't Leo McGarry in front of a Congressional inquiry I'd probably have been disappointed.
   2348. robinred Posted: January 24, 2013 at 04:42 AM (#4353854)
The West Wing

The early seasons were pretty cool.
   2349. Greg K Posted: January 24, 2013 at 07:26 AM (#4353864)
The early seasons were pretty cool.

Josh totally should have chosen Mary Louise-Parker over Donna!

...oh yeah, and I suppose some political stuff happened on that show too.
   2350. jmurph Posted: January 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM (#4353940)
totally should have chosen Mary Louise-Parker over

Quoted for eternal truthfulness, regardless of what comes after the "over."
   2351. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM (#4354000)
The West Wing l

The show was a hell of a lot better than "Studio 60"

On a side note, Netflix is almost up $40 today. Wonder what the hell caused that to happen?
   2352. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: January 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM (#4354009)
They beat analysts expectations for the last quarter.
   2353. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM (#4354043)
a good (old) friend of mine is on CNN (Piers Morgan)

You are fr... with th... why?

You are dead to me.
   2354. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM (#4354058)
They beat analysts expectations for the last quarter.

$40 though seems a little high for one day in my opinion.
   2355. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 01:36 PM (#4354104)

A Republican state legislator wants rape victims to carry their pregnancies to term, claiming the fetus could be used as “evidence” at trial.

Rep. Cathrynn Brown introduced House Bill 206 on Wednesday, which would make terminating a pregnancy caused by incest or rape a third-degree felony for “tampering with evidence,” which could carry three years in prison.

“Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime,” the bill says.

The Bill is unlikely to pass the Democrat-controlled state legislature, but it has (understandably) outraged reproductive health advocates.

Pat Davis of ProgressNow New Mexico, a progressive nonprofit opposing the bill, called it “blatantly unconstitutional.” “The bill turns victims of rape and incest into felons and forces them to become incubators of evidence for the state,” he told the Huffington Post. “According to Republican philosophy, victims who are ‘legitimately raped’ will now have to carry the fetus to term in order to prove their case.“

This isn’t the first time states have used “creative” means to criminalize abortion. In specific cases, pregnant women who miscarry can face criminal charges in Mississippi and Alabama.

While Rep. Brown’s website has lots to say about her “favorite part” of every legislative session (the prayer) and her grapefruit-decorated Christmas tree, it is noticeably silent on the the bill she sponsored.
   2356. DA Baracus Posted: January 24, 2013 at 01:39 PM (#4354108)
A Republican state legislator wants rape victims to carry their pregnancies to term, claiming the fetus could be used as “evidence” at trial.

My head hurts after reading this sentence alone.
   2357. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 24, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4354111)
Rep. Cathrynn Brown introduced House Bill 206 on Wednesday, wh

at some point you almost have to wonder if some of these people are democratic plants or something.

2358. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: January 24, 2013 at 01:57 PM (#4354125)
at some point you almost have to wonder if some of these people are democratic plants or something.

They are certainly vegetables.
   2359. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 01:57 PM (#4354126)

Well the real war on women is Hussein X's refusal to penalize China for sex-selective abortions.

Meanwhile, the lord's representatives on Earth around whose approbation our nation must construct all health care, demonstrate nuance when appropriate.
   2360. Tilden Katz Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:20 PM (#4354146)
It's very unfortunate New Mexico does not have the death penalty so we can't just execute raped women.
   2361. Ok, Griffey's Dunn (Nothing Iffey About Griffey) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:21 PM (#4354148)
$40 though seems a little high for one day in my opinion.

Apple is down over 11% today eventhough they recorded record profits and iphone sales. Those records were not as high as wall street was expecting though. craziness.
   2362. Ok, Griffey's Dunn (Nothing Iffey About Griffey) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:24 PM (#4354154)
An article I read today stated that for the quarter, Netflix made $8 million, Apple $29.7 BILLION, yet, Netflix is up over 30% and Apple is down 11.
   2363. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:26 PM (#4354157)
I really hope Hillary is the Dems' nominee in '16, if only to see the look on Republicans' faces when they realize Obama was the good cop.
   2364. Shredder Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4354189)
Still, you can't blame the GOP. They've seen the desperate need to steal elections coming for decades. They can no more refrain from cheating the vote than John McCain can keep from embarassing himself in a foreign policy discussion.
I agree with Kevin Drum on this. I don't understand why they're even bothering with the charade of going to a district plan. Why give the Democrats any electoral votes at all? Why not just make it winner take all based on who wins the most districts, or counties? They're so transparently dishonest that once you've crossed that line, you may as well the full nine. Hell, it might just be easier if they tried to reinstate the 3/5ths compromise, though that may still be 3/5ths too much for the Republicans.
   2365. Publius Publicola Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM (#4354202)
McDonnell might veto it. He has larger political aspirations and he can't afford to have that on his record if he goes national.
   2366. Tilden Katz Posted: January 24, 2013 at 02:55 PM (#4354216)
The VA plan might not even pass the Senate. I could easily see Bolling voting with the Dems on this one (reports say he was unwilling to sign off on the gerrymander voted on on Monday).
   2367. spike Posted: January 24, 2013 at 03:04 PM (#4354241)
And further, the amendment may violate the rules of the VA Senate about non-germane amnements under their single object rule. The House speaker hasn't ruled yet.
   2368. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: January 24, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4354243)

A thousand times yes.
   2369. Shredder Posted: January 24, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4354251)
The Catholic Church: "Life beings at conception!!...unless one of our hospitals botches a medical procedure that results in the unneccessary death of two unborn children and we might be liable for their deaths. In those specific scenarios, life absolutely does not begin at conception. Fetuses are absolutely not persons with legal rights if we might actually have to pay for them."
   2370. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 03:30 PM (#4354262)
Amen.
   2371. Lassus Posted: January 24, 2013 at 03:36 PM (#4354269)
While I've never been involved in the stock market, watching from the outside, it mostly seems idiotic.

You are fr... with th... why?
You are dead to me.

Heh. No. One of the ones he was interviewing.
   2372. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: January 24, 2013 at 03:51 PM (#4354284)

A thousand times yes.

I assume you mean the younger version not the older tatted up cougar version?
   2373. Morty Causa Posted: January 24, 2013 at 03:53 PM (#4354285)
   2374. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 04:13 PM (#4354303)

I'd be OK with either one.
   2375. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: January 24, 2013 at 04:38 PM (#4354326)
What is it about MLP? She's not breathtakingly beautiful or sexy, but there's something about the entire package that's hard to beat. Marisa Tomei is similar.
   2376. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: January 24, 2013 at 04:41 PM (#4354329)

I've honestly never seen her on anything but The West Wing. I'd rather remember her as Amy Gardner for the rest of my life and die happy.
And it was something about the accent I think. And the balloon animals.
   2377. Rickey! On a blog from 1998. With the candlestick. Posted: January 24, 2013 at 04:44 PM (#4354332)
I looked this Mary Louis Parker up on the internets and it turns out I've never seen anything she's ever been in.
   2378. zonk Posted: January 24, 2013 at 05:33 PM (#4354367)
On a side note, Netflix is almost up $40 today. Wonder what the hell caused that to happen?

I understand that they turned a profit when they were expected to show a loss last quarter...
   2379. Greg K Posted: January 24, 2013 at 05:42 PM (#4354374)
What is it about MLP? She's not breathtakingly beautiful or sexy, but there's something about the entire package that's hard to beat. Marisa Tomei is similar.

For me it was her languid , dismissive way of talking to people (specifically men). A woman treating me like an idiot does it for me every time.
   2380. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: January 24, 2013 at 05:49 PM (#4354379)
I looked this Mary Louis Parker up on the internets and it turns out I've never seen anything she's ever been in.

Based upon IMDBs' list I have seen exactly ONE of her movies, Red Dragon, where she apparently played Ed Norton's wife, and even though her character got to kill Ralph Fiennes at the end, she made zero impression on me.

BTW Man Hunter was better than Red Dragon
   2381. clowns to the left of me; STEAGLES to the right Posted: January 24, 2013 at 05:53 PM (#4354385)
Based upon IMDBs' list I have seen exactly ONE of her movies, Red Dragon, where she apparently played Ed Norton's wife, and even though her character got to kill Ralph Fiennes at the end, she made zero impression on me.

BTW Man Hunter was better than Red Dragon
"saved!" was pretty decent. and i've heard good things about "the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford".
   2382. bunyon Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:04 PM (#4354394)
A woman treating me like an idiot does it for me every time.

You're an excellent candidate for marriage.
   2383. Shredder Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:09 PM (#4354397)
A woman treating me like an idiot does it for me every time.
It's not so much being treated like an idiot. It's being treated like someone who clearly ISN'T an idiot, but is really acting like an idiot in a particular situation.
   2384. Shredder Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:11 PM (#4354399)
Apple is down over 11% today eventhough they recorded record profits and iphone sales. Those records were not as high as wall street was expecting though. craziness.
Well, at least now I know what it feels like to lose $700 in one day while not actually doing anything.
   2385. Lassus Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:15 PM (#4354404)
and i've heard good things about "the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford".

Excellent. The film No Country for Old Men wanted to be. Probably loses more than an average film would from being on a small screen, IMO.
   2386. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:28 PM (#4354415)
Excellent. The film No Country for Old Men wanted to be. Probably loses more than an average film would from being on a small screen, IMO.

And, frankly, Javier Bardem is walking about with Casey Affleck's Best Supporting Actor Oscar ...

2387. Greg K Posted: January 24, 2013 at 06:31 PM (#4354420)
And, frankly, Javier Bardem is walking about with Casey Affleck's Best Supporting Actor Oscar ...

In what world was that not a starring role?
   2388. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 07:07 PM (#4354439)

In what world was that not a starring role?

Unfortunately, in this one ...
   2389. Greg K Posted: January 24, 2013 at 07:21 PM (#4354457)
Unfortunately, in this one ...

That's a world I'm glad I "live" in only in the barest sense of the word.
   2390. Sonic Youk Posted: January 24, 2013 at 08:44 PM (#4354498)
Am I crazy for thinking that rigging the EC would backfire massively? Theres no way that such an obvious attempt at stealing an election wouldn't be the top story by 2015. I'd have to think people would react by voting D in a landslide, but maybe I'm giving way too much credit to our media and electorate.
   2391. zonk Posted: January 24, 2013 at 08:59 PM (#4354502)
Am I crazy for thinking that rigging the EC would backfire massively? Theres no way that such an obvious attempt at stealing an election wouldn't be the top story by 2015. I'd have to think people would react by voting D in a landslide, but maybe I'm giving way too much credit to our media and electorate.

I would hope so... but who knows?

Thing is - I hope people realize that this isn't some nonsense being dreamed about on blogs... there are active bills in Virginia, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania to enact this stuff. Obama won Virginia by about 4 points in 2012 -- but under this plan, Romney would have taken 9 EVs out of Virginia to 4 for Obama.

Or - to put it even more scarily - Obama won the national popular vote convincingly (about 5 million total), but if the VA plan were applied to all the states where similar bills are actually on the table, he'd have lost the election.

If that were to come to pass?

Call it hyperbole if you want, but I have an awfully hard time seeing how the Republic survives... Democrats already operate under a national disadvantage on the legislative level due to the urbanization of Dem votes... now - they'd be in a position where Democrats only real path to the Presidency would be 10 pt blowouts?

Screw that... the blue states are already subsidizing the budgets of the rural red states - in such a scenario, I'm out... done... secede, disband the union, let's all go our own way, whatever.
   2392. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:23 PM (#4354512)
Gotta agree with zonk. If this does go down, many people are not going to take it well. On the bright side, this could spell the end of the EC.
   2393. OCF Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:26 PM (#4354513)
- in such a scenario, I'm out... done... secede, disband the union, let's all go our own way, whatever.

What would it take to force the creation of a new Constitutional Convention? And while one can cite the articles of the Constitution that allow for amendments and their approval, there is the precedent set by the original Constitutional Convention. Namely, that many of the things that convention did were not allowed under the Articles of Confederation, including that they set up their own (non-unanimous) rules for ratification. That convention literally made its own rules. The answer to the question of what it would take to force a new convention is not a legal question - it's a political question. It would be big states against small states, with the small states knowing full well that a rogue convention could potentially do many things the small states would not like, such as re-doing the Senate.
   2394. Publius Publicola Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:28 PM (#4354515)
Let's say we're back to 1861 and the Red States do something that precipitates a civil war between the Reds and the Blues. Who do you think wins?

I say the blues do because they have control of most of the coast and they have most of the industrial infrastructure, a majority of the population, and the vast majority of the technocracy, which you need to fight a modern war.

The Red States would have a majority of the energy resources though, unless the Marcellus Shale were to be fully exploited.
   2395. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:28 PM (#4354516)
Screw that... the blue states are already subsidizing the budgets of the rural red states

This is always a cute turn of phrase, but states don't own the federal taxes of their taxpayers that have chosen to reside there and pay the state taxes.

2396. Tilden Katz Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:32 PM (#4354519)
The Blue States would almost certainly have the support of our allies as well.
   2397. OCF Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:32 PM (#4354520)
Screw that... the blue states are already subsidizing the budgets of the rural red states

Except Texas. In a hypothetical big state versus little state political showdown, well, Texas is a big state.
   2398. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:35 PM (#4354523)
Let's say we're back to 1861 and the Red States do something that precipitates a civil war between the Reds and the Blues. Who do you think wins?

It depends, what are the rest of the assumptions? 1861 armies? Only 1861 states count? Who gets Ohio and Florida?
   2399. Mefisto Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:37 PM (#4354524)
the blue states are already subsidizing the budgets of the rural red states

Let's call 'em what they are: welfare states.
   2400. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 24, 2013 at 09:39 PM (#4354525)
Ker-flip
Page 24 of 29 pages ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.