Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

OTP - March 2014: Russia denies calling shots in Ukraine’s Crimea standoff

Only Babe Ruth calls shots!

At a press conference for Kremlin-controlled media on Tuesday, Putin reiterated his position that Moscow has the right to use “all means” necessary to protect ethnic Russians and vital military assets in Ukraine, first among them the Black Sea fleet in the Crimean port of Sevastopol.

Bitter Mouse Posted: March 05, 2014 at 07:54 AM | 3254 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: lies, politics, war

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 31 of 33 pages ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 > 
   3001. zonk Posted: March 26, 2014 at 02:25 PM (#4677359)
Say what you want about him, but Tom has been able to play the "young, cocky ___________*" for 30+ years.
Gotta be the record.

*insert occupation: race car driver, fighter pilot, bartender

It's clearing out all those thetans... keeps one young.
   3002. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 26, 2014 at 02:43 PM (#4677372)
I was pleasantly surprised by Oblivion. It had its issues, but it was not bad. Honestly Cruise might have the most movies I like from an actor I don't care for personally.
   3003. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 02:43 PM (#4677374)
Say what you want about him, but Tom has been able to play the "young, cocky ___________*" for 30+ years.
Gotta be the record.

"Jack Reacher is 6'5" tall (1.96 m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 220 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural (he reveals in Persuader, he has never been an exercise enthusiast). He is exceptionally strong, has a high stamina, but is not a good runner.[14]"
   3004. Shredder Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:08 PM (#4677396)
I was pleasantly surprised by Oblivion. It had its issues, but it was not bad. Honestly Cruise might have the most movies I like from an actor I don't care for personally.
I thought it was entertaining, but I seem to recall there were some plot holes you could drive an oil tanker through.
   3005. bobm Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:10 PM (#4677398)
And the significant number of underinsured who now have meaningful coverage.

From the link:

The Commonwealth Fund report uses a very specific and somewhat complicated definition of under-insurance, based on how out-of-pocket costs and premiums compare to household income. (You can read the full explanation here.) Not everybody would agree with that definition. Conservatives tend to support higher out-of-pocket spending, because they believe it discourages wasteful spending and improves market competition. As such, many would probably argue the Fund’s definition of under-insurance makes the problem seem a lot worse than it is. That's a totally fair argument, at least for those who hold the conservative point of view.

Liberals see things differently. One of their biggest complaints about the Affordable Care Act is that it doesn't do enough to help the underinsured, because the minimum requirements for insurance under Obamacare still allow for high cost-sharing—and because the government isn't doing more to push down medical prices generally. As a result, lots of people will remain underinsured, even once all of the law's new regulations, subsidies, and programs are fully in place. 

ISTM the underinsured problem really was that there were not enough young people overpaying for health insurance they would not use (actuarially, not anecdotally) in order to subsidize older consumers whose premiums are now capped at a 3x multiple of young people's premiums.

If anyone really cared about people's health, we would stop subsidizing farmers growing corn and soybeans, and tax the hell out of junk food like cigarettes and booze.
   3006. spike Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:12 PM (#4677401)
Sochi's Potemkin Olympic village and venues deserted and already beginning to show signs of abandonment, disrepair, and decay
   3007. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:25 PM (#4677420)
If anyone really cared about people's health, we would stop subsidizing farmers growing corn and soybeans, and tax the hell out of junk food like cigarettes and booze.

And if suggested by any liberal here, the cries of nanny state would be deafening. It is a tradeoff between individual freedom and collective good. There is no magical dividing line.

That said I am on board with more taxes on junk food and tobacco and less subsidy for farmers.
   3008. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:28 PM (#4677422)
If anyone really cared about people's health, we would stop subsidizing farmers growing corn and soybeans

What's wrong with soybeans? Good source of lean protein.
   3009. Joe Kehoskie Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:28 PM (#4677424)
Sochi's Potemkin Olympic village and venues deserted and already beginning to show signs of abandonment, disrepair, and decay

Not uncommon. Barely a year after the 2003 Pan Am Games were held in Santo Domingo, big parts of Centro Olimpico started to look like a jungle. And it's right in the middle of the city, where one would have thought tens of thousands of people would have jumped at the chance to use the new athletic facilities. I've heard they've since rehabbed it, but I haven't been to the D.R. lately or seen any recent pictures.
   3010. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:29 PM (#4677425)
California state senator Leland Yee (D) has been arrested on public corruption charges. Same week as fellow Dems Gordon Fox (RI House Speaker) had his office raided by the FBI and resigned, NY Assemblyman William Scarborough (NY) had his office raided by the FBI, and Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon was arrested on public corruption charges. Ugh.
   3011. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:31 PM (#4677427)
Gotta be the record.

*insert occupation: race car driver, fighter pilot, bartender

No he can't, he hasn't been able to pull it off in 10-15 years, now he jsut comes off as really odd, or varying degrees of creepy
   3012. Joe Kehoskie Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4677428)
No he can't, he hasn't been able to pull it off in 10-15 years, now he jsut comes off as really odd, or varying degrees of creepy

He pulled off "cocky" quite well in Collateral, which came out in 2004. Not sure about the "young" part.

By the way, I just saw that Top Gun 2 is in development, with Cruise back in the role of Maverick. Has there even been a 28-year (or more) wait for a sequel?
   3013. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:35 PM (#4677429)
Barely a year after the 2003 Pan Am Games were held in Santo Domingo, big parts of Centro Olimpico started to look like a jungle.

Parts of Montreal's Olympic village were basically forming the core of a new slum within a year of the Olympics ending, the Velodome on the other hand made for a very nice museum/artificial habitat- after it was completely gutted and renovated.

3014. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:41 PM (#4677432)
He pulled off "cocky" quite well in Collateral, which came out in 2004. Not sure about the "young" part.

Cruise pulled off the "young and cocky" parts in The Color of Money very well. Problem was that he was less convincing once he started shooting balls than Gary Cooper and William Bendix were as Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth.
   3015. Manny Coon Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:43 PM (#4677434)
By the way, I just saw that Top Gun 2 is in development, with Cruise back in the role of Maverick. Has there even been a 28-year (or more) wait for a sequel?

Color of Money was only 25 years, but also has Tom Cruise, this time he gets to be the old guy. Maybe Dan Aykroyd can get Cruise to show up in Ghostbusters 3.
   3016. Joe Kehoskie Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:45 PM (#4677435)
Problem was that he was less convincing once he started shooting balls than Gary Cooper and William Bendix were as Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth.

It's unreal how often movies fail at key details like this. I guess the average person doesn't notice, but if you're spending tens of millions to make a movie, wouldn't you spend another $50,000 to hire a consultant(s) to make sure the details are right?
   3017. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:48 PM (#4677440)
Has there even been a 28-year (or more) wait for a sequel?

hmmm...

Indian Jones?
Star Wars (nope)
according to Wikipedia the winner is:
Bambi- 63 years- Bambi 2 (never ever heard of Bambi 2)
Fantasia- 59 years Fantasia 2000

Non-cartoons (and exluding remakes/reboots or direct to video/dvd):

National Velvet/International Velvet- 34 years

The Odd Couple/ Odd Couple 2- 30 years

The Thing (1982) The Thing (2011) 29 years, forgot about that one (2nd film was actually a pre-quel to the first)
Tron/Tron Legacy 28 years
skipping a few, The Hustler/Color of Money- 25 years
Psycho/Psycho 2- 23 years
Wall Street/Wall Street Money never sleeps, 23 years
   3018. Manny Coon Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4677441)
The longest gap between sequels is Bambi 2, it looks like Disney made a bunch of cheap direct to video sequels of their older movies a while back. Here is a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_longest_gaps_between_film_sequels
   3019. zonk Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:51 PM (#4677443)
So big news on something we kicked around a month or so ago...

The NU football players that were petitioning for the right to unionize surprisingly won.

I say absolutely good for them -- and I'm sure the NCAA is having kittens right about now.

The association they started was just really looking for two things:

1)An end to the "get hurt and lose your scholarship" practice that the NCAA constantly issues "advise" to members schools against, but schools do quite a lot, and
2) More input/seat at the table for certain rules and environment changes (i.e., how many weeks spring practice can run, etc)

They specifically were not looking for pay...

I say bravo... The NCAA makes Bud and the boys look Doctors without Borders when it comes to shitty, cronyistic, self-serving bullshit.
   3020. Lassus Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4677446)
The Hustler is one of the bleakest movies ever.

And I still can't believe Oblivion is seen as anything more than a totally empty eye-candy film. (Andrea Riseborough being most of the candy.) The plot and script IMO was sub-Avatar, which is saying something.
   3021. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:00 PM (#4677449)
It should be noted that Collateral, in 2004, was ten years ago.
   3022. Joe Kehoskie Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:00 PM (#4677450)
The NU football players that were petitioning for the right to unionize surprisingly won.

You think it's "surprising" that the Chicago district of the NLRB ruled in favor of people wanting to unionize?

I really don't care much about NCAA sports and I think there are plenty of things that are atrocious about how the NCAA operates, but I just can't get excited about college players (allegedly) not being paid, and I still haven't seen anyone explain how a pay-to-play scheme wouldn't gut Title IX, at least as far as athletics are concerned. There's no way the average school has the money to pay women gymnasts and men's soccer players and other athletes in non-revenue sports, and Title IX wouldn't allow football and basketball players to be paid while the other athletes are not. (Plus, as soon as college athletes are paid, they become professionals, which means colleges could no longer use one of their biggest tax advantages when it comes to soliciting donations.)

They specifically were not looking for pay...

Maybe not yet, but there's no doubt that's where this is headed.
   3023. JE (Jason) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:01 PM (#4677452)

It's nice to know we agree on something, Mouse. I was enthralled.
I thought it was entertaining, but I seem to recall there were some plot holes you could drive an oil tanker through.

I don't remember many holes in the script, Shredder. Examples?
   3024. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4677455)
(Andrea Riseborough being most of the candy.)

Yeah, but what candy.
   3025. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4677456)
I really don't care much about NCAA sports and I think there are plenty of things that are atrocious about how the NCAA operates, but I just can't get excited about college players (allegedly) not being paid, and I still haven't seen anyone explain how a pay-to-play scheme wouldn't gut Title IX, at least as far as athletics are concerned. There's no way the average school has the money to pay women gymnasts and men's soccer players and other athletes in non-revenue sports, and Title IX wouldn't allow football and basketball players to be paid while others are not.

Honestly, is there a really vital reason for those sports to be scholarship-supported anyway? If someone wants to play soccer or volleyball, great, there are club teams that are tremendous competitive and fun and build character that the schools can subsidize, but I'm not sure I see the need to give volleyball players or even baseball players scholarships to play for the university.

I feel the same way about football and basketball, but I can see the argument for those at least - they are big ol' advertisements for the school.
   3026. spike Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:06 PM (#4677457)
   3027. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:07 PM (#4677459)
i actually really like that movie. and while cruise does have some grey in his hair in that one, i think it could be argued that he dyed it that way as part of his character's attempt to blend in and keep himself under the radar.
   3028. Joe Kehoskie Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:08 PM (#4677460)
Honestly, is there a really vital reason for those sports to be scholarship-supported anyway? If someone wants to play soccer or volleyball, great, [...]

I feel the same way about football and basketball, but I can see the argument for those at least - they are big ol' advertisements for the school.

The "vital" part is debatable, but for now, Title IX essentially requires it. Otherwise, colleges would be in violation because they'd have ~100 male athletes under football and basketball scholarship and zero female athletes under athletic scholarship.
   3029. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:09 PM (#4677462)
It's nice to know we agree on something, Mouse. I was enthralled.

* Mild (sort of) Spoiler Alert *

The scene at dinner after they have rescued the woman from the wreckage is a great great scene. And then if you see the scene again it is even better. The subtext of the scene, the various relationships and what some people know and others don't is fantastic IMO. The best thing the movie does is not over explain things. For example it is clear (I think) that both women are very much in love with Cruise, while he is only truly in love with one of them, which is why things play out like they do.

And yes it was a very pretty movie (not just the lovely women).
   3030. The District Attorney Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:14 PM (#4677466)
I'd imagine most of the country isn't particularly in favor of farming subsidies. But the typical non-farmer doesn't care all that much about the issue either, whereas the small number of people benefiting from it care a lot. So, that ain't changing.

Knight and Day was a weird experience of a movie. Even though Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz both look amazing for their age, they still felt "too old for the part", somehow. It probably would be wise for Cruise to make some "concessions to age."

Cruise does do a great job of selecting projects, though -- either they're working with top directors, or things that should make a lot of money, or very often both. Even not particularly liking him, I still correlate his appearance in a movie with quality. I think his recent uninspiring box office run has been more because it's not cool to like him anymore than because he chose bad projects. (Except for Jack Reacher. That really was a horrible idea. It did, however, give us the gift of Paul F. Tompkins playing Werner Herzog making innumerable jokes about it.)

Ghostbusters 3 is a disaster waiting to happen. You do not want Dan Aykroyd as the reigning mastermind behind your movie. Anyone see Nothing But Trouble? YIKES.
   3031. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:14 PM (#4677467)
I liked Oblivion -- a solid B. As for plot holes, isn't water a pretty abundant resource throughout the galaxy? sucking it up from Earth would probably be an incredible waste of time and energy. And having the Russian astronaut survive all this time in space and the landing on earth seems like a pretty big deus ex machina.
   3032. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:18 PM (#4677471)
Problem was that he was less convincing once he started shooting balls than Gary Cooper and William Bendix were as Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth.

It's unreal how often movies fail at key details like this. I guess the average person doesn't notice, but if you're spending tens of millions to make a movie, wouldn't you spend another $50,000 to hire a consultant(s) to make sure the details are right?

That's one reason I can't watch pretty much any baseball movie, although IIRC Kevin Costner was credible in Bull Durham, and Eight Men Out was okay. But just about any of those old-time baseball movies are plain embarrassing to watch.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Hustler is one of the bleakest movies ever.

It is, but other than Paul Newman's semi-spastic pool stroke, the character portrayals were fairly accurate, especially George C. Scott's. OTOH if the Piper Laurie character had been eliminated it would have been much truer to the life on the road that hustlers lived. A character like Fast Eddie would've been strictly into bar pickups and hookers, and wouldn't have been getting himself tied down to any sort of a steady relationship. But all that said, it still beats any baseball movie I've seen, which isn't saying much.
   3033. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:21 PM (#4677474)
As for plot holes, isn't water a pretty abundant resource throughout the galaxy? sucking it up from Earth would probably be an incredible waste of time and energy. And having the Russian astronaut survive all this time in space and the landing on earth seems like a pretty big deus ex machina.

yeah the water thing was dumb, but what I generally look for is internal consistency. Even if the science is bad, if it is consistent I can live with it. The Russian astronaut bit (well all of the others) was a major plot point and I think OK (funny that he only saved one, and it was the important one, but hey, it is a movie after all).
   3034. JE (Jason) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4677476)
(Andrea Riseborough being most of the candy.)

I found Olga What's-Her-Name hot.
As for plot holes, isn't water a pretty abundant resource throughout the galaxy?

That's a bit thin for a pot hole, no? Next you'll tell me that it's impossible that a half-destroyed moon can morph the five boroughs' topography into an Icelandic landscape.
And having the Russian astronaut survive all this time in space and the landing on earth seems like a pretty big deus ex machina.
OK, I concede that the Tet would have been able to detect the capsule long before the homing beacon brought it down to Earth.
   3035. JE (Jason) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:29 PM (#4677481)
The Russian astronaut bit (well all of the others) was a major plot point and I think OK (funny that he only saved one, and it was the important one, but hey, it is a movie after all).

What most female moviegoers probably found most impressive about the Russian astronaut is ultimately she gave birth all by herself and got to have sex with Tom Cruise and two of his clones.
   3036. formerly dp Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:32 PM (#4677482)
Enjoyed Oblivion more than I expected to; it actually seems a little underrated and underhyped, considering it was better than some of the blockbusters that came out last summer (I'm looking at you, Pacific Rim!).

I am way too psyched about Winter Soldier. Never a good thing heading into a comic book movie...
   3037. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:36 PM (#4677485)
Anyone see Nothing But Trouble? YIKES
have you? that's a seriously great movie.
   3038. The District Attorney Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:41 PM (#4677488)
YIKES
   3039. Lassus Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:44 PM (#4677491)
I just found Oblivion completely boring and predictable and uninteresting. I'm actually still confused so many people I don't find stupid liked it, so I must just be off on this one. Pretty, sure, but a complete C- to me.

I don't think Pacific Rim was any kind of masterpiece either, but it was WAY more entertaining than Oblivion, to me.
   3040. Shredder Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:52 PM (#4677494)
I don't remember many holes in the script, Shredder. Examples?
You can google plenty, but it's been a couple months since I've seen it. I have no problem suspending belief for sci-fi flicks, but it's unclear to me why the Tet even needed Jack and Vika if they had the technology to build killer drones. Did the Tet not have the technology to build drones that could find and repair the killer drones? I'm not sure which was written first or if one was kind of a rip off the other, but when it comes to space-clone movies, I'll take Moon.
   3041. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:53 PM (#4677495)
Why did the Tet create the clones in the first place? And did they really need them to service the drones? Obviously they came up with the idea of the clones first and then had to retrofit an explanation, but they could have put a little more thought into the backstory. But I still liked it overall.

edit: coke to shredder
   3042. JE (Jason) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:03 PM (#4677500)
I have no problem suspending belief for sci-fi flicks, but it's unclear to me why the Tet even needed Jack and Vika if they had the technology to build killer drones. Did the Tet not have the technology to build drones that could find and repair the killer drones?

Drones don't understand the power of chewing gum.

Anyway, it's foolish for us slow minds to outthink the Tet. Weren't the Jack clones sent out by the hundreds of thousands in the initital invasion pretty damn effective?
   3043. formerly dp Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:07 PM (#4677502)
I don't think Pacific Rim was any kind of masterpiece either, but it was WAY more entertaining than Oblivion, to me.
Maybe it's just a question of expectations: the reviews for PR convinced me to see it in the theater, and I don't think I saw Oblivion until it fell all the way to HBO...Some people found the camp of Pacific Rim entertaining, I was not among them. Generally think Hunnam is a poor actor (enjoy SoA in spite of him), and this was not an exception.

Related: The misery of being Jessie Pinkman continues, Need for Speed looks like a distaster.
   3044. zonk Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:13 PM (#4677505)
As for plot holes, isn't water a pretty abundant resource throughout the galaxy?

That's a bit thin for a pot hole, no? Next you'll tell me that it's impossible that a half-destroyed moon can morph the five boroughs' topography into an Icelandic landscape.

Didn't stop M Night Shamalan from having his aliens invade a planet that is 70% covered in water despite apparently being killable by it... but then, first you have to get past the whole idea that a species capable of an interstellar invasion and apparently, making their ships invisible, also needed to carve crop circles to to navigate it.

3045. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:15 PM (#4677508)
Oblivion wasn't terrible. It wasn't Prometheus bad. But the "twist" was pretty obvious from 10 minutes into the film, no?

As for Pacific Rim...
   3046. zonk Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:18 PM (#4677509)
I think I'd take Prometheus over Oblivion... Prometheus was more disappointing considering it's lineage and hype than really "bad" -- take away the pseudo-Alien prequel angle and it's a perfectly fine sci-fi film.
   3047. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:19 PM (#4677511)
Prometheus was more disappointing considering it's lineage and hype than really "bad" -- take away the pseudo-Alien prequel angle and it's a perfectly fine sci-fi film.

No. Just...no. A guy with a super-3D computer map of an alien temple structure, created by his handheld, controlled drones, gets lost in the damned structure (while the mapless main character gets out no problem.) I could go on forever. Prometheus was ####### horrible.
   3048. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:22 PM (#4677513)
I did watch Zardoz for the first time this past weekend. That was.....interesting.
   3049. formerly dp Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:24 PM (#4677514)
I am with Rickey! on this one...I wanted to like Prometheus so badly...rewatched Scott's original film right before Prometheus came out-- the set designs are just beautifully ornate and intricate.
   3050. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:25 PM (#4677515)
Generally think Hunnam is a poor actor
fun fact: carcetti popped his cherry on the original uk version of queer as folk.
   3051. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:27 PM (#4677516)
Ditto -- Prometheus was absolutely terrible. *Nothing* in it made sense: the characters motives and emotions, their decisions, the backstory, the ties to the franchise, etc.
   3052. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:29 PM (#4677518)
And to reward the absolute shite that was Prometheus, Prometheus 2 is out in 2016...

Guy that travels light years in cryosleep to investigate possible alien life freaks the #### out over a dead alien body. Seriously. Everything about it is terrible.
   3053. formerly dp Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:31 PM (#4677519)
fun fact: carcetti popped his cherry on the original uk version of queer as folk.
I like him more now than I did 3 minutes ago.
   3054. zonk Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:31 PM (#4677520)
Eh, style over substance when it comes to cromulence I guess...

I mean, I'm certainly not going to defend Prometheus by any stretch...
   3055. The District Attorney Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:34 PM (#4677522)
Need for Speed has made $31M domestic... and $96M overseas. So, it's doing fine. Money is money!

(Muppets Most Wanted, on the other hand, did pretty poorly. And that's not as likely to translate well internationally.)
   3056. formerly dp Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:34 PM (#4677523)
And to reward the absolute shite that was Prometheus, Prometheus 2 is out in 2016...
I'll see it opening weekend in iMax. Hope springing eternal* and all that.

*Also, I frequently tune into Met games expecting to see them win.
   3057. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:35 PM (#4677524)
In response to some of the polling data previously posted here, the fingers-in-their-ears-crowd has argued that it doesn't matter (and nobody cares) since the election isn't until November. However, following up on Nate Silver's forecast that Republicans are now favored to take the Senate, fivethirtyeight.com has looked at how the generic congressional vote poll, a significant component of their alogorithm, has moved historically between January - March and October in mid-term years. As regular readers of this space have already surmised, the news isn't good for Democrats. The President's party only gained more than 2% in one year, 1958, which was still a terrible year for the President's party. Most other years saw at least a small decline, and the median decline was 5.3%. A similar decline in 2014, would put the GOP in a better position -- at least as measured by the generic vote -- than they enjoyed in 2010.

RTFA.

3058. formerly dp Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:37 PM (#4677527)
Need for Speed has made $31M domestic...
The overseas take makes it a win, but $31 M for a movie with a $66 M budget isn't very good. The Resident Evil films frequently snag around $25M, and those aren't promoted nearly as heavily as NFS has been.
   3059. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:38 PM (#4677528)
RTFA.

Already did. You can take the passive aggressive #### elsewhere. We're talking about bad scifi now.
   3060. Shredder Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:41 PM (#4677530)
Anyway, it's foolish for us slow minds to outthink the Tet. Weren't the Jack clones sent out by the hundreds of thousands in the initital invasion pretty damn effective?
Not effective enough, apparently. Again, you have the power to blow up the damn moon, but not to kill all human life on the planet without resorting to clones? Did the AI really get itself all the way to earth then just say "well, I guess I'll just sit here until maybe the inhabitants of that planet send a few specimens up to check me out. If they don't, guess it's just a wasted trip."
   3061. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:43 PM (#4677532)
We're talking about bad scifi now.

Avoidance doesn't really work long-term.
   3062. JE (Jason) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:43 PM (#4677533)
Already did. You can take the passive aggressive #### elsewhere. We're talking about bad scifi now.

Speak for yourself, neck stabber. I was talking about pretty good scifi.
   3063. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:50 PM (#4677537)
Avoidance doesn't really work long-term.

It seems to be working well enough for the GOP. But hey, maybe your boys can get elected, repeal Obamacare, and then you can have a kid born with a heart condition or something that you can't get insured so we can all laugh at you.
   3064. JE (Jason) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:54 PM (#4677539)
Again, you have the power to blow up the damn moon, but not to kill all human life on the planet without resorting to clones?

Didn't the Tet kill 99% of everyone on Earth? (I've got a hunch Ray and Andy were the only Primates who survived.) Hell, I bet they even managed to knock off the terrorists who masterminded the attack on the consulate in Benghazi.
   3065. Shredder Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:56 PM (#4677541)
Hell, I bet they even managed to knock off the terrorists who masterminded the attack the consulate in Benghazi.
Whoa, they killed Clinton, Biden, and Obama?
   3066. Randy Jones Posted: March 26, 2014 at 06:05 PM (#4677545)
RE: Prometheus

A while back io9 posted the original script for Prometheus. I think it went through two re-writes before it was actually filmed. The original script was quite good, they should have just made that movie.

EDIT: Here's that original script. So much better.
   3067. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 26, 2014 at 06:05 PM (#4677546)
Prometheus: Terrible. Just awful. All the characters were plot devices and not people, and bad plot devices, for a plot that wasn't all that to start with. A couple very good scenes though (the autodoc c-section scene was really effective for example).

Oblivion: Loved it. Much better than I expected. Could have used a bit tighter script and better science, but still pretty darn good.

Moon: And Moon is better than Oblivion (though not as pretty). Great, GREAT, science fiction.

Pacific Rim: Loved it. Monsters! Giant Robots! Fighting! Cool and funny scientists! What did you people expect? It was a bit long and had some real dumb science and plot holes I grant you, and Cliche aplenty.

Winter Soldier: OMG! I am trying to keep my expectations as low as I can. But I loved Captain America: The First Avenger and I loved Avengers. Cap is my favorite Super Hero. So yeah, it will be terrible and I will be crushed.

Senate 2014: Yeah total dog, will suck for team blue. We might keep the Senate, maybe.
House 2014: Eh. Plus or minus a handful. No big either way.
Governors 2014: Net a few states.

And then the GOP will see it all as a validation for the Tea Party and for the "We Hate ACA" club. And then the karmic wheel will turn in 2016. So it goes.
   3068. Greg K Posted: March 26, 2014 at 07:13 PM (#4677575)
No. Just...no. A guy with a super-3D computer map of an alien temple structure, created by his handheld, controlled drones, gets lost in the damned structure (while the mapless main character gets out no problem.) I could go on forever. Prometheus was ####### horrible.

I thought the more glaring issue was that that guy spent his first 5 minutes on screen making very, very sure the audience understood he was a coward and afraid of everything there...and then when he actually sees a weird alien snake like thing, he's all of a sudden fascinated and goes over to play with it.
   3069. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 07:20 PM (#4677579)
Everything wrong with Prometheus in 4 minutes.

I enjoy this YouTube series, hope y'all will too.
   3070. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 26, 2014 at 07:41 PM (#4677583)
Prometheus: Terrible. Just awful. All the characters were plot devices and not people, and bad plot devices, for a plot that wasn't all that to start with. A couple very good scenes though (the autodoc c-section scene was really effective for example).

the scene where they were running from the rolling (on its side) alien space ship, and Theron was run over...

was just stupefyingly cartoonishly awful in an Ed Wood kind of way that really mad me think that Ridley Scott was actually going for the [world's most expensive] so bad it's good type vibe (You know what the Asylum tries to do)... but actually didn't know how
   3071. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 26, 2014 at 07:51 PM (#4677588)
California state senator Leland Yee (D) has been arrested on public corruption charges. Same week as fellow Dems Gordon Fox (RI House Speaker) had his office raided by the FBI and resigned, NY Assemblyman William Scarborough (NY) had his office raided by the FBI, and Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon was arrested on public corruption charges. Ugh.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev) isn't winning any ethics awards, either:
On Tuesday, news broke that Harry Reid spent nearly $17,000 in campaign funds on “holiday gifts” for supporters and staff. Those gifts turned out to be jewelry made by the Senate majority leader’s granddaughter, Ryan Elisabeth Reid (who was listed on the FEC expenditure report as Ryan Elisabeth). Shortly after the story began circulating, Sen. Reid defended the arrangement but announced he would personally reimburse the campaign.
. . .
His granddaughter has also received financial support for her fledgling New York theater company from two Nevada-based foundations that typically prohibit donations to organizations outside of their service areas. The foundations belong to gaming and energy companies that have also donated to the lawmaker.

3072. zonk Posted: March 26, 2014 at 08:05 PM (#4677594)
Ugh.

Please stop trying to make me speak up for Prometheus.... I really didn't care for it either, but I think you have to go through M Night's entire catalog and then some before you get to it on the list of bad scifi.

I mean, I'd put it around Phantom Menace... Huge disappointment, lots of really good actors doing really bad work (though Menace has the "advantage" of also having some really bad actors doing spectacularly bad work), plenty of classic sci-fi mythology being exploded with really dumb explanations -- you tell me what's worse: The Force is actually bacteria vs Aliens were produced as a bioweapon.

Menace probably has better effects overall, but I can stomach the story and acting of Prometheus better.

Maybe I need to re-watch Oblivion... I was in a really crappy mood when I saw it - just got dumped, work was crappy, and just turned it on for some escapism (and found it lacking) - so maybe it was a mood thing that makes me put Prometheus over it... like I said, I really do not want to be the defender of it - my memory is just disliking Oblivion more than Prometheus.
   3073. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 26, 2014 at 08:09 PM (#4677595)
I enjoyed the experience of Prometheus, but it wasn't a good movie. I can't rationally evaluate Phantom Menace. The underlying political plot wasn't horrible I guess.
   3074. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 26, 2014 at 08:12 PM (#4677596)
Since it's a new high, I feel duty bound to report it - Disapproval Of Obama Climbs To New High:
Nearly six in 10 people disapprove of President Obama's job performance in a new poll by the Associated Press, the highest rating recorded by the newswire. According to the AP-GFK survey released Wednesday, 59 percent disapprove of Obama's job performance while 41 percent approve. 

A similar poll released by the news outlet in January found 45 percent approved of him while 53 percent disapproved.
. . .
In the AP poll, only 40 percent approve of Obama's handling of international relations, a new low. The newswire notes that Obama's handling of foreign policy is usually neutral. Fifty-seven percent dislike his handling of the situation in Ukraine, where the Crimean region of the country voted this month to gain independence and join Russia.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Off Topic - Movies thread?
   3075. Srul Itza Posted: March 26, 2014 at 08:40 PM (#4677602)
I mean, I'd put it around Phantom Menace

You mean Prometheus is one of the worst, most grating movies of all time, with a horrendous, racist animation vying with an impossibly annoying child non-actor to see who could set your teeth on edge more? Glad I didn't see it, then.
   3076. bobm Posted: March 26, 2014 at 08:43 PM (#4677603)
What's wrong with soybeans? Good source of lean protein.

So much gets processed into bad-for-you food because it is subsidized.

If we are what we eat, Americans are corn and soy

"We're like corn chips walking because we really have a very, very large fraction of corn in our diets, and we actually can't help it because it's an additive in so many of the foods we find on the market shelves," Dawson says.

Foods like ketchup, salad dressing, soda, cookies and chips all contain corn, usually high fructose corn syrup.

"I think where the danger comes in with corn is that much of the corn grown now in North America is going into making high fructose corn syrup," Dawson says. "So it's not that corn per se is bad, but it's the sweetener made from corn that gets into many of the foods that Americans are probably consuming too much of, and we now see that showing up as obesity and heart disease and potential for type 2 diabetes." [...]

Americans also eat an extraordinary amount of soybean oil, another key ingredient in most processed foods. Checking labels during a recent trip to the grocery store I found soybean oil in everything from tortilla chips to fruit syrup.

Dr. Joseph Hibbeln at the National Institutes of Health estimates that soybeans, usually in the form of oil, ­ account for an astonishing 10 percent of our total calories in the United States.

In recent years, a form of soybean oil has been the primary source of trans fats, which raises levels of LDL, or bad cholesterol, in our bodies and is thought to contribute to heart disease.Our bodies need a balance of omega-6 fatty acids like soybean oil and omega-3 fatty acids like fish oil, Hibbeln says. Over the last century, our diets have shifted almost completely to omega-6 fatty acids.

"It's quite likely that most of the diseases of modern civilization, major depression, heart disease and obesity are linked to the radical and dramatic shift in the composition of the fats in the food supply," Hibbeln says.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/22/kd.gupta.column/index.html?iref=newssearch
   3077. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: March 26, 2014 at 09:04 PM (#4677608)
So much gets processed into bad-for-you food because it is subsidized.
yep.

luckily we have courageous despots politicians like michael bloomberg who are willing to ban foods containing transfats and drinks loaded with HFCS.
   3078. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 26, 2014 at 09:52 PM (#4677616)
Was just talking with Ray about the NCAA/Northwestern/football players union. He posted to FB supporting the players.

Let me repeat that.

Was just talking. To Ray. About a union. Which he supports.
   3079. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM (#4677622)
California state senator Leland Yee (D) has been arrested on public corruption charges.

That really doesn't do justice to the charges. Yee, an ardent gun control advocate, is charged with trafficking firearms, as well as more traditional corruption.
   3080. Monty Posted: March 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM (#4677626)
Now Nate Silver is tackling the truly important topics: whether Paul Krugman likes him.
   3081. Srul Itza Posted: March 26, 2014 at 11:22 PM (#4677641)
Was just talking. To Ray. About a union. Which he supports.

Hasn't Ray taken the position that he does not like collegiate athletics because it is less than the highest form of competition? So maybe he is hoping that unionization will destroy it.
   3082. The District Attorney Posted: March 27, 2014 at 12:18 AM (#4677652)
you have the power to blow up the damn moon
Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to blow up the damn moon!

Now Nate Silver is tackling the truly important topics: whether Paul Krugman likes him.
This was obvious satire, and IMO, funny.

Steven Seagal apparently wants to become the new Dennis Rodman.
Seagal said President Vladimir Putin's "desire to protect the Russian-speaking people of Crimea, his assets, and the Russian Black Sea military base in Sevastopol … is very reasonable."

Criticizing the "idiotic" U.S. policy on Ukraine, Seagal said the American media coverage of the crisis was promoting the agenda of U.S. President Barack Obama.

Seagal, a Republican who is thought to be a relatively close acquaintance of Putin partly due to their shared love of martial arts, said that Putin is "one of the great living world leaders" and that he "would like to consider him as a brother." ...

Seagal also said that although he loves the United States, it is possible — "sometime" — that he will follow the lead of French movie star Gerard Depardieu and take Russian citizenship.

I liked the ending of this summary article.
Seagal is not the only ageing action star to have waded in on the subject of Crimea.

Former governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger offered some less-than-helpful advice for world leaders when asked about Crimea in a recent interview to promote his new film 'Sabotage'.

“I think what they all need to do now, is stop whatever they are doing and watch the movie ‘Sabotage’”, he said.
   3083. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 27, 2014 at 06:42 AM (#4677676)
Everything wrong with Prometheus in 4 minutes.

That doesn't sound like nearly enough time.
   3084. formerly dp Posted: March 27, 2014 at 07:33 AM (#4677680)
I am on board with anything Seagal does to raise his profile. That man is an endlessly-flowing fountain of wisdom. Anyone watch Lawman?

Dig the Cinema Sins videos. This film was so bad it deserves to be slagged often.
   3085. Lassus Posted: March 27, 2014 at 08:15 AM (#4677687)
Prometheus was really a reminder of the genius that brought us "Black Rain", only worse.
   3086. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 08:35 AM (#4677692)
Dig the Cinema Sins videos. This film was so bad it deserves to be slagged often.

Yeah, there are some awful plot holes and general buffoonery in that blockbuster. I still thought Bane was pretty cool and hoped he would win :)
   3087. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 27, 2014 at 09:21 AM (#4677708)
I still thought Bane was pretty cool and hoped he would win :)

Catwoman, Alfred, Fox (Morgan Freeman) and (sort of) Bane all tried to make the movie good. They failed. And I loved the first two in the series, but the third took everything bad about the first two and amplified it, and forgot the good parts.

EDIT: Still nothing like the crap that are the new Star Trek reboots. Yuck. Lensflare! Characters less competent and more annoying. Bad plots and villains. Cheap emotional tricks. Stealing from earlier (much) better movies. All done by someone who once read half of one bad comic book about Star Trek, and didn't like it. Nerd Rage.
   3088. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 27, 2014 at 09:34 AM (#4677713)
and hoped he would win

Recently saw Pompeii and it was big and dumb and more fun than I would have expected, but part way through I started rooting for the nominal bad guy (Kiefer Sutherland). It made the movie much more fun, especially when (spoiler alert) even though he dies, he delays our "heroes" long enough that they get killed in the eruption. Sure we were supposed to feel the pathos of their death, but I was all like "and from beyond the grave I strike at you".

Not a great movie (OK it was kind of bad), but I enjoyed myself at it anyway.
   3089. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 09:48 AM (#4677718)
Winter Soldier: OMG! I am trying to keep my expectations as low as I can. But I loved Captain America: The First Avenger and I loved Avengers. Cap is my favorite Super Hero. So yeah, it will be terrible and I will be crushed.

I am just not sure why Cap's story had to be advanced 30 years in one sequel. Why not use some of his older story lines before jumping all the way to the return of Bucky? There have got to be some Commie-Nazi's somewhere that can be advanced as the antagonist for a while.
   3090. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM (#4677729)
Winter Soldier: OMG! I am trying to keep my expectations as low as I can. But I loved Captain America: The First Avenger and I loved Avengers.

Who cares about that crap - Georges St. Pierre will be playing Batroc Ze Leaper!
   3091. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM (#4677734)
EDIT: Still nothing like the crap that are the new Star Trek reboots.

Those are so terrible. I can't blame anyone for their fears about Abrham's Star Wars involvement after seeing those two awful Star Trek abominations. I didn't even make it through the first one, and only lasted until the end of the second because I was at the theater with friends. I yearned for the narrative subtlety of Shatner.
   3092. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM (#4677737)
I am just not sure why Cap's story had to be advanced 30 years in one sequel. Why not use some of his older story lines before jumping all the way to the return of Bucky? There have got to be some Commie-Nazi's somewhere that can be advanced as the antagonist for a while.

Because CA exists to be the fulcrum/leader of the Avengers in the MCU.
   3093. Randy Jones Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM (#4677740)
Those are so terrible. I can't blame anyone for their fears about Abrham's Star Wars involvement after seeing those two awful Star Trek abominations. I didn't even make it through the first one, and only lasted until the end of the second because I was at the theater with friends. I yearned for the narrative subtlety of Shatner.

The real problem is that they aren't Star Trek movies, they are just generic sci-fi action movies. They use Star Trek "branding" so they are guaranteed to make money. Well, that and the second one was just awful in so many ways.
   3094. Lassus Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM (#4677743)
Those are so terrible. I can't blame anyone for their fears about Abrham's Star Wars involvement after seeing those two awful Star Trek abominations.

You're just upset that Khan Steinbrenner wasn't committing revenge due to 365 years of revenue sharing.
   3095. JE (Jason) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM (#4677747)

OK, but it should be the final nail in the coffin for those who still didn't believe Krugman is about as credible as Ed Schultz or anyone who thinks Flight 370 flew into a black hole.
   3096. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM (#4677748)
You're just upset that Khan Steinbrenner wasn't committing revenge due to 365 years of revenue sharing.

Preposterous, in any reasonable recounting of the tale Mr. Steinbrenner would be in the Kirk role, the passionate, driven leader who inspires all around him to excel and inexplicably continues to succeed despite the open antipathy of jealous and embittered opposition.
   3097. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:41 AM (#4677749)

OK, but it should be the final nail in the coffin for those who still didn't believe Krugman is about as credible as Ed Schultz or anyone who thinks Flight 370 flew into a black hole.

You're kidding, right?
   3098. Lassus Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM (#4677751)
You're kidding, right?

Yankee Revenue's shtick will last past the Federation's existence, most likely until the heat death of the universe.
   3099. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM (#4677752)
Dark Knight Rises was awful. Prometheus level plot holes. Why is it so hard to find a competent writer?
   3100. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM (#4677753)

On economics I'll continue to trust Krugman. On issues of aggregate polling, I'll trust 538. I'm not sure why I'd trust either one outside of their area of expertise any more than the other.
Page 31 of 33 pages ‹ First  < 29 30 31 32 33 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.