Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, February 28, 2013

[OTP - March] Scott wants money for spring training teams

While working at the Detroit Tigers’ spring facility in Lakeland, Gov. Rick Scott announced today he will ask the Florida Legislature to set aside $5 million a year for projects specifically aimed at improving the Major League Baseball training facilities in the state.

“It’s my job as governor to make sure Florida remains the number one destination for spring training and that is why we will work to provide $5 million annually to only be used for spring training facilities,” Scott said in a statement that was released while Scott was participating in one of his “work days” with the Tigers at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland.

Tripon Posted: February 28, 2013 at 02:05 PM | 2909 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baseball, florida, ot, politics, spring training

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 30 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >  Last ›
   1001. GregD Posted: March 18, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4390577)
The thing about swimming is you either can, or you can't. There's no middle ground.
I would say knowledge of ocean currents can make a mediocre swimmer safer than a great one who doesn't know either ocean safety in general or a particular beach's current in particular. Many beaches pass the look test but turn out to be treacherous.
   1002. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: March 18, 2013 at 01:41 PM (#4390578)
Just because I think children shouldn't be murdered doesn't mean I like children. Hell, I don't think you or Sam should be murdered either ;-)

Well, as you know, at some point it's going to come down to me or the children, and you're going to have to pick a side.
   1003. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 01:46 PM (#4390581)
I've yet to meet a liberal who doesn't understand that.

Of course you haven't.
   1004. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 18, 2013 at 01:49 PM (#4390585)
As a genuine liberal myself, I do think that the extra-large soft-drink legislation is overdoing it.

I agree with that, but OTOH if they instituted the death penalty** for tobacco executives, I'd confine myself to a "That'll learn em."

**With the option of letting them stew in solitary for the rest of their lives while inhaling about half a dozen packs a day of their own product.
   1005. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 18, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4390590)
Generally speaking, I don't like consumption/sales taxes because they're terribly regressive -- but, rather than an outright ban, this is an area where I wouldn't mind something like a $0.25 tax slapped on a soda over, say, 20 oz.

Generalizing: bans are dumb, taxes can make sense.

I don't think linking it directly to size as a threshold, however, is logical. Better would be a percentage of the cost or x cents per ounce. (If you're going to go this route in the first place - I'm not speaking to that right now.)

A tax on processed sugar/corn syrup on the other hand ...

I know a very conservative guy in health care who is in favor of this. Of course, we presently subsidize it instead.
   1006. just plain joe Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM (#4390600)

Absolutely, don't try to ban firearms, place a tax on them instead and use the money for health care.
   1007. tshipman Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM (#4390601)
How do you stop people from drowning? You don't. A percentage of people will drown no matter what you do. Yes, there are efforts that make sense. Put a lifeguard in public pools. Etc. Put gun legislation in place to try to reduce violence. Sure. But at some point, you hit up against reality, the point at which tweaking gun legislation doesn't amount to a hill of beans difference in further reducing gun violence, and when weighed against the fact that bearing arms is a constitutional right and it should be difficult to strip constitutional rights, it makes sense to just stop the silliness, already.

This would be a much better point if there weren't countries that had reduced gun violence to as few as 6 deaths per year through heavy regulation of guns.

So yeah, there is a point at which further regulation doesn't do any good. That point is ####### Japan, not what we have now.
   1008. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:17 PM (#4390603)
Cyprus.

Bank runs throughout Europe.

That is all.
   1009. zonk Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4390617)
I don't think linking it directly to size as a threshold, however, is logical. Better would be a percentage of the cost or x cents per ounce. (If you're going to go this route in the first place - I'm not speaking to that right now.)

Thing is, though, the costs are so minimal (in terms of what it costs the producer) for 20 oz of soda vs, say, 48 oz (soft drinks are among the most profitable things in the world to anyone that sells them) that you're really charging for the health costs. Still -- penny an oz over 20 oz works fine by me...

I know a very conservative guy in health care who is in favor of this. Of course, we presently subsidize it instead.

Bingo.

That's the most damnably frustrating thing about this whole Bloombergian fiasco... I mean, I really hate it when Sarah Palin is handed reasonable material on a silver platter --- but frankly, I really wish folks would acknowledge/understand how much of this sort of 'grass roots' mocking is actually astroturfing by the industry.

I wish the libertarians among us would spend even half as much time complaining about government intervention/subsidization of the industry feeding this beast as they do Bloombergian heavy-handed nonsense.
   1010. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:42 PM (#4390620)

The issue with taxing instead of banning is that now you have the government financially committed to ensuring that whatever product or industry is being taxes remains healthy and profitable. Which is fine (or at least tolerable) if your goal is to account for the cost of negative externalities in what is otherwise an acceptable product (e.g. gasoline), but not so good if the product itself is unacceptable (e.g. slaves).
   1011. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4390623)
I agree with that, but OTOH if they instituted the death penalty** for tobacco executives, I'd confine myself to a "That'll learn em."

Why? Surely you're not claiming that in the year 2012 tobacco companies are still "fooling" people as to whether their product is harmful.
   1012. Delorians Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:52 PM (#4390625)
Which is fine (or at least tolerable) if your goal is to account for the cost of negative externalities in what is otherwise an acceptable product (e.g. gasoline), but not so good if the product itself is unacceptable (e.g. slaves).

Well, I would put soda in the former category rather than the latter.
   1013. villageidiom Posted: March 18, 2013 at 02:54 PM (#4390627)
There isn't one. Does that shock you?
Not at all.

It makes your redirection of "it's not the guns, it's the people" remarkably silly. It doesn't matter if the problem is the guns, the people, or the interaction of the two; if you think there's no solution, then there's no point whatsoever in getting picky on the problem.
   1014. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:02 PM (#4390630)

Why? Surely you're not claiming that in the year 2012 tobacco companies are still "fooling" people as to whether their product is harmful.

If you want to insist on a specific charge, you can make it the addictive chemicals they add to their product. But hell, I'd fry those motherfuckers just out of general principle.
   1015. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:06 PM (#4390631)
1009: why not for the first 20 oz as well? if the tax is high, why wouldn't i just buy two 20 oz drinks?

1010: i did say "generalizing"; also, it can be hard to draw the line on what is or isn't acceptable.
that said, i'm tend to presume a government that's more of an abstraction than exists in reality, though i don't think that changes my conclusions.
   1016. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:09 PM (#4390634)
If I saw my cat drowning, I'd jump in to save him. Though he's an indoor cat. And I'm a good swimmer. Plus fat guys are naturally buoyant.
   1017. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:13 PM (#4390637)

But there might be a dude who is a native and lives in the Amazon and he may want to one day come to America and happen upon a magazine from the 1970s and think boy I want to be a cowboy and get that hot blonde woman so I need to inhale smoke and then he'll buy 40 years supply of cigarettes somehow and take them all back to the Amazon so that he doesn't have any information on cigarettes and then he'll get lung cancer and die! Why do you have no empathy?
   1018. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:14 PM (#4390639)
If I saw my cat drowning, I'd jump in to save him.

I am sure your cat would do the same, if you were holding its food and a can opener. Well and there was no one else to feed it. Maybe, after watching you thrash around for a bit. And yes I have cats (and a dog FWIW).
   1019. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4390640)
Screw soda taxes. If there are external costs to worry about it, fund it by a tax on everyone who wants to use government fiat to ban actuarial science.
   1020. Lassus Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM (#4390641)
If I saw my cat drowning, I'd jump in to save him. Though he's an indoor cat.

NOTED STATISTICIAN AND ESPN WRITER FOUND DROWNED IN TUB.

Cat found sitting on top of him, cleaning paws, meowing to be fed.
   1021. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:19 PM (#4390643)
I am sure your cat would do the same, if you were holding its food and a can opener. Well and there was no one else to feed it. Maybe, after watching you thrash around for a bit.

Yeah, but what's the IQ of a cat, 5? I'm sure Galileo would try to save me if he could understand the consequences my drowning could have on his very gourmet diet. Ain't nobody else going to give him fourme d'ambert and duck breast.
   1022. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:20 PM (#4390644)
Cat found sitting on top of him, cleaning paws, meowing to be fed.

I'm sure if I die and nobody comes around to feed him for a few hours, he'll eat my face.
   1023. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:22 PM (#4390647)
Screw soda taxes. If there are external costs to worry about it, fund it by a tax on everyone who wants to use government fiat to ban actuarial science.

I'm down with that.
   1024. Ron J2 Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:23 PM (#4390649)
#974 Actually I frequently look up lyrics with no intention of buying. In most cases it's stuff that I owned literally decades ago (recently songs from Don McLean's Tapestry album)
   1025. Swoboda is freedom Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:31 PM (#4390653)
I'm sure if I die and nobody comes around to feed him for a few hours, he'll eat my face.

Are you sure it would take that long?
   1026. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:34 PM (#4390656)
NOTED STATISTICIAN AND ESPN WRITER FOUND DROWNED IN TUB.

"Noted?"

Do you want Dan get get a big head?

In addition to the reasons recited by De Niro in Meet the Parents, this is another reason Cat Owners are superior to Dog Owners-
Cat Owners know and accept that yes, this is what their companion animal would do to them in such a circumstance, and they accept it- Dog Owners are in denial and horrified by the very thought.
   1027. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:36 PM (#4390657)
"Noted?"

He didn't say how big the notepad was.
   1028. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:45 PM (#4390663)

Literally.

Several years ago, I toured the LA County Morgue. Outside of the autopsy room, awaiting a Coroner's exam, were the remains of an elderly "cat lady" who had lived alone and had not been discovered for days after her death.

10+ hungry cats and a body don't make for a pretty picture ...
   1029. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:52 PM (#4390666)
Literally.

I'm at peace with it. Galileo's a very large, strong cat (25 pounds, 39 inches nose to tail, can still easily jump to high counters at 14), so I'm just happy that he lets me live.
   1030. Rants Mulliniks Posted: March 18, 2013 at 03:57 PM (#4390670)
Cyprus.

That is all.

Nothing to see here folks, keep on listening to Krugman and Bernanke. We just haven't printed enough fiat money into the system yet, I'm sure if we boost it from the current $85 billion a month to half a trillion or so we'll be just fine.
   1031. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:04 PM (#4390673)

Nothing to see here folks, keep on listening to Krugman and Bernanke. We just haven't printed enough fiat money into the system yet, I'm sure if we boost it from the current $85 billion a month to half a trillion or so we'll be just fine.

This pretty much makes no sense, either on its own merits or as a response to the situation in Cyprus.
   1032. Greg K Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:11 PM (#4390675)
I know next to nothing about the topic, but the guardian seems to be running live-blogging coverage of the Cyprus crisis (as fun to say as it is to follow!)

Link

EDIT: Their latest update includes...
"The risk of bank runs in Europe alarming some investors and analysts, despite there being no evidence of panicking shareholders in either Spain or Italy (as reported earlier today)"
   1033. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:16 PM (#4390676)
Cat Owners know and accept that yes, this is what their companion animal would do to them in such a circumstance, and they accept it- Dog Owners are in denial and horrified by the very thought.

I remember reading a story a few years back about a man, whose toe had started to go necrotic, and he failed to realize it. Dog gnawed it off at night while he was in bed.

Of course the dog owner was full of praise for his dog, for saving his life...
   1034. The Good Face Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:20 PM (#4390678)
I'm at peace with it. Galileo's a very large, strong cat (25 pounds, 39 inches nose to tail, can still easily jump to high counters at 14), so I'm just happy that he lets me live.

That's a huge cat unless he's morbidly obese. Maine Coon?
   1035. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:27 PM (#4390680)
Frasier had an episode which dealt satisfactorily with cat people:

Niles: Hello Frasier.
Frasier: Oh, Niles.
Niles: Frasier, do you remember the time the Kreizel brothers tied
me to their Great Dane and lobbed meatballs down their
gravel driveway?
Frasier: I told you Niles, I would have helped you, but their sister
was holding me down.
Niles: No, my point is - [to waitress:] Cappuccino, please [to
Frasier:] - even that experience was less painful than the
date I was just on. She was... [takes a cat hair from his
jacket and puts it on the floor] ...a cat person. She
brought her cat on our date. Well, she had good reason, it
was Mr. Waggles's birthday. Actually his birthday party.
Actually, his surprise birthday party.
Frasier: I'm sorry, where on earth did you meet this woman?
Niles: At Nordstroms. We both reached for the same cashmere throw
and she said she needed something to keep her waggles warm.
I thought it was a coy euphemism. [the waitress brings his
coffee] Thank you.
Frasier: Dear God, Niles, not a dating service?
They are all money-grubbing con-artists who
prey on the pathetic and the lonely. God's sakes, you sign
up with visions of some Ph.D., and what do they deliver? A
buck toothed librarian who needs help washing her mother!
Are you really that desperate?
Niles: Half an hour ago, I had my back leg tethered to Mr. Waggles's
forepaw and we came in third in the five-legged race.
Frasier: You would think they'd let him win on his birthday...
   1036. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:33 PM (#4390683)
Galileo's a very large, strong cat (25 pounds, 39 inches nose to tail,

Good lord. Bucky, my tuxie, is around 13 lbs., & he's ... not thin.

I've never measured him (or any other cat, or for that matter any of the dogs I've had) from stem to stern.

1037. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:34 PM (#4390684)

No, just a huge cat. The vet thinks his ideal weight is 22 or 23 pounds. Not a Maine Coon, just a statistical outlier cat. He actually makes people he meets the first time very uncomfortable since he's so large and not the slightest bit shy. If you're not paying attention, he can pull food out of your hand. He's also strong enough to open the fridge and explore, so all meat has to be stored in tupperware.
   1038. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:35 PM (#4390685)
This pretty much makes no sense, either on its own merits or as a response to the situation in Cyprus.

No, but I work with a follower of von Mises, and I hear this brand of nonsense all the time...

anyway, the EU's bailout deal for Cyprus was breathtaking in its abject stupidity, and of course the terms were tailored to protect bondholders (mostly German), at this point you'd almost have to think that the EU's economic ministers are deliberately trying to sabotage the "Euro-zone"
   1039. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:35 PM (#4390686)

Just more for Galileo to snack on, apparently.
   1040. The Good Face Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:45 PM (#4390691)
No, just a huge cat. The vet thinks his ideal weight is 22 or 23 pounds. Not a Maine Coon, just a statistical outlier cat. He actually makes people he meets the first time very uncomfortable since he's so large and not the slightest bit shy. If you're not paying attention, he can pull food out of your hand. He's also strong enough to open the fridge and explore, so all meat has to be stored in tupperware.

Wow, that is one hell of an outlier. Good friend of mine had a 17lb male tabby shorthair (not overweight at all) and he looked freakishly large to most people, including me. My wife's brutish alley cat weighs in around 14lbs and can open most doors and drawers, but the fridge is beyond him thankfully.
   1041. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:55 PM (#4390693)
anyway, the EU's bailout deal for Cyprus was breathtaking in its abject stupidity, and of course the terms were tailored to protect bondholders (mostly German),

Not to mention Russian money launderers, oligarchs, and other assorted bandits, for whom Cyprus is a haven for deposits far above the insurance limit.

This ought to turn out well.
   1042. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 05:13 PM (#4390699)
   1043. tshipman Posted: March 18, 2013 at 05:15 PM (#4390700)
anyway, the EU's bailout deal for Cyprus was breathtaking in its abject stupidity, and of course the terms were tailored to protect bondholders (mostly German),

Not to mention Russian money lauderers, oligarchs, and other assorted bandits, for whom Cyprus is a haven for deposits far above the insurance limit.

Uh, the bailout was specifically structured to hurt those people the most. That is arguably why it is such a problem. Germans didn't want to bail out Cyprians because the Russian Oligarchs were the ones causing the instability, so they required all those people to take a haircut in order to get a bailout.

This whole thing is a huge cluster. I don't know whose fault it is per se, but it's an eminently foreseeable problem.
   1044. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: March 18, 2013 at 05:55 PM (#4390720)
That is arguably why it is such a problem. Germans didn't want to bail out Cyprians because the Russian Oligarchs were the ones causing the instability, so they required all those people to take a haircut in order to get a bailout.

Those people and other people, if you wanted to single out the oligarchs you could have said that Cyprian depositors don't get the haircut, other depositors do (of course that may violate free trade rules and whatnot).

However, since the last thing you want is for depositors ANYWHERE see other depositors ANYWHERE get ######, the the thing to do should be to bailout the depositors (even if some are loathsome Ruskies) - and take over the effing failed banks and boot their management to the curb.
   1045. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:00 PM (#4390722)
They're hitting people below the insured level because they don't want to -- and Putin protested -- hit people (mostly Russians) above the insured level hard enough to get the money they "needed."

1046. tshipman Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:04 PM (#4390724)
They're hitting people below the insured level because they don't want to -- and Putin protested -- hit people (mostly Russians) above the insured level hard enough to get the money they "needed."

That, in my opinion, is exactly the wrong way to look at it. They are hitting depositors in Cyprus because the rest of the EU refused to bail out Cyprus.

If they had limited the wealth tax/bailout/cash grab to people with deposits exceeding 100K Eur, you'd still see the same amount of bank run going on.
   1047. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:04 PM (#4390725)
and Putin protested

Not only protested, but made it clear that the Russian government would respond to such a move by refusing to rework the terms of the 2.5 billion dollar loan that they previously extended to Cyprus. A loan, of course, that Cyprus can't currently afford to keep paying under the terms they borrowed at ...
   1048. spike Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:09 PM (#4390728)
@1042, thanks - I had no idea that the selling of indulgences was back in style.
   1049. tshipman Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:17 PM (#4390731)
In my opinion, it is crazy to think of Putin as the villain here. Obama would also protest about American citizens paying for an EU bailout.
   1050. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:27 PM (#4390733)
Oh, look, a man used a blowtorch on his wife instead of a gun. I won't hold my breath for the Times to do a front page story on this, or for Andy to post this story.

(Actually, the story is dated January 26th. Odd, I don't recall Andy linking to it.)

"I had to teach her a lesson:" Man torches estranged wife for sending nude photo to another man

Diaz turned himself in Jan. 16, after setting the woman aflame in an Inwood lot, then dousing his old auto shop with gasoline.

Diaz told the Daily News he was set off when he discovered a nude photo Zapata — who had recently gotten some cosmetic surgery done — had sent of herself to another man on her cell phone.

“I couldn’t think straight. I wanted to pass out,” said Diaz, 35, nervously looking toward the ground. “I had to do something.”

He stewed about the snapshot overnight [He even gave himself an overnight waiting period to think about it and that didn't help. RDP], and the next morning lured Zapata to the parking lot where the unemployed mechanic had been sleeping most nights.

Then, he unleashed the blowtorch.

“I had to be a man about it. She hurt my pride,” he said of the woman who had dumped him. “I knew it was going to end up in a place like this but I didn’t care.”

1051. spike Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:36 PM (#4390737)
Well that does it.
   1052. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:39 PM (#4390740)
I notice, you conspicuously left out the part in the story, where the wife survived.
   1053. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:49 PM (#4390742)
Huh? The very first real life example in the Times story Andy linked to survived. Not everyone menaced with a gun dies.

But I'm sure it was lovely for the woman in the story I linked to to be blowtorched.
   1054. Morty Causa Posted: March 18, 2013 at 06:55 PM (#4390745)
How's the dog doing--that's what counts.
   1055. Mefisto Posted: March 18, 2013 at 07:21 PM (#4390754)
The issue with taxing instead of banning is that now you have the government financially committed to ensuring that whatever product or industry is being taxes remains healthy and profitable.

That seems less of an issue with a product like sugar (in all forms) that's basically addictive (loosely defined). A per gram sugar tax would work pretty well, I suspect.
   1056. Lassus Posted: March 18, 2013 at 07:45 PM (#4390761)
Oh, look, a man used a blowtorch on his wife instead of a gun.

It is more than hilarious that this site is where you'd use a small-sample outlier to prove what you consider an incontrovertible point.

Where?
   1057. Tripon Posted: March 18, 2013 at 07:48 PM (#4390763)

Where?

Cypress, the difference here is that the EU is trying to screw over people with savings account and force them to directly pay for Cypress' EU's 'bailout'.

Really, the EU brought this bullshit on itself.
   1058. Tripon Posted: March 18, 2013 at 07:50 PM (#4390766)
And in facepalming moves. Ted Cruz opposes Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week resolution.
   1059. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 07:59 PM (#4390768)
It is more than hilarious that this site is where you'd use a small-sample outlier to prove what you consider an incontrovertible point.

What do you mean? I'm just using arguments established and certified by your side. Clearly, if the restraining order in this case had required this guy to surrender his blow torches, this whole thing could have been avoided.

This is similar to the Times' argument:

"The judge’s order prohibited Mr. Holten from going within two blocks of his former wife’s home and imposed a number of other restrictions. What it did not require him to do was surrender his guns."
   1060. Steve Treder Posted: March 18, 2013 at 08:06 PM (#4390773)
Ray, you're always worth a chuckle.
   1061. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 18, 2013 at 08:08 PM (#4390775)
The thing about swimming is you either can, or you can't

No, there are many weak swimmers who do fine until they are in a difficult situation. Also, some folks remember how good they were at the end of last summer, and overdo it at the beginning of the next summer when they're not as good. And panic is a big factor - you can expend a lot of energy in panic mode when a more controlled approach would save you or at least give you a better chance. Most people that drown can swim to some degree.
   1062. Lassus Posted: March 18, 2013 at 08:12 PM (#4390781)
Ted Cruz opposes Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week resolution.

There might have been some hidden Obamacare taxes in it. Better safe than sorry.
   1063. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 08:17 PM (#4390785)
Ray has always maintained that if there were no guns, people would be running each other down in automobiles in exactly the same numbers. so I don't know that trying to reason with him on this issue is going to work,
   1064. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 18, 2013 at 08:19 PM (#4390787)

What do you mean? I'm just using arguments established and certified by your side. Clearly, if the restraining order in this case had required this guy to surrender his blow torches, this whole thing could have been avoided.

Yes, all those gun murderers could just have easily have done it with blowtorches if they wanted to. Just like Ichiro and home runs. Never mind that guns are responsible for the vast majority of murders, while murders by blowtorch likely rank somewhere below sarcastic one liners and forced viewings of Masterpiece Theater.

This is similar to the Times' argument:

"The judge’s order prohibited Mr. Holten from going within two blocks of his former wife’s home and imposed a number of other restrictions. What it did not require him to do was surrender his guns."

Just as an aside, I love the way you conflate a simple factual statement in a news article with "the Times' argument". Was it also "the Times' argument" when they quoted the NRA side of the issue?
   1065. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 18, 2013 at 08:21 PM (#4390788)
Ray, you're always worth a chuckle.

He's a fatter pinata than the Chassman himself, but we still love him.
   1066. zonk Posted: March 18, 2013 at 09:09 PM (#4390814)
And in facepalming moves. Ted Cruz opposes Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week resolution.

Yeah, it's a dumb move -- and not particularly liking Cruz (who seems determined to fill the DeMint role of #1 ######### in the Senate), I'll be more than happy to make him (and his party) pay for being disagreeable... but that said -

Congressional resolutions are just silly.... and we have plenty of them.

I would think that his libertarian fanboys might be the ones giving Cruz grief over this, though -- after all, the more time Congress spends on meaningless resolutions, the less time it has for actual legislation ;-)
   1067. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 09:11 PM (#4390815)
@1042, thanks - I had no idea that the selling of indulgences was back in style.

I doubt it ever went out of style.
   1068. Misirlou was a Buddhist prodigy Posted: March 18, 2013 at 09:31 PM (#4390836)
Well here's a story with something for everybody - falafel fanatics, Papists, men's rights advocates, purveyors of librulmediabias, you name it!

That picture of O'Reilly's wife looks a lot like Mary McCormack of West Wing vintage.
   1069. spike Posted: March 18, 2013 at 09:36 PM (#4390842)
Apparently, she dated Flava Flav before marrying O'Reilly. Never saw that coming.
   1070. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 09:58 PM (#4390853)

The President Barack Obama administration is claiming that authorities do not need court warrants to affix GPS devices to vehicles to monitor their every move.

The administration maintains that position despite the Supreme Court’s infamous decision last year that concluded that attaching the GPS devices amounted to search protected by the Constitution.

The administration is set to make its argument Tuesday before a federal appeals court in a case testing the parameters of the high court’s 2012 decision. If the government prevails, the high court’s ruling would be virtually meaningless.

“This case is the government’s primary hope that it does not need a judge’s approval to attach a GPS device to a car,” Catherine Crump, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a telephone interview.

Crump will square off on the issue Tuesday with the Obama administration before the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia.

The question of whether probable-cause warrants issued by a judge are needed is an open one because the high court stopped short of answering it. The court ruled in January, 2012, that attaching the device amounted to a constitutionally protected search because it was a trespass on a private vehicle.

Even so, in the decision’s aftermath the government disabled 3,000 GPS trackers it had installed on vehicles without warrants.

Among other things, the government is arguing that the Supreme Court has given the police broad exemptions to obtaining search warrants, such as with the oversight of school students and probationers, maintenance at the border, and even searching vehicles and luggage for drugs. That exception should apply to GPS devices, the government said.

Link
   1071. zonk Posted: March 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM (#4390856)
So, this has to be a really shocker if you know who Michelle Shocked is...
   1072. Ray (RDP) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM (#4390909)
Yes, all those gun murderers could just have easily have done it with blowtorches if they wanted to. Just like Ichiro and home runs. Never mind that guns are responsible for the vast majority of murders, while murders by blowtorch likely rank somewhere below sarcastic one liners and forced viewings of Masterpiece Theater.

The point is that everyone -- even you, Andy -- immediately sees how silly it is to suggest that taking away this guy's blowtorches would have changed the end result when he was hell bent on harming his wife one way or the other.

But change the weapon to guns and people suddenly think it's a serious argument to suggest that a restraining order forcing the guy to relinquish his guns would matter.
   1073. Lassus Posted: March 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM (#4390914)
You should have stuck to petulance and snark, because explaining it further makes it sound even more ridiculous.
   1074. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM (#4390919)
Apparently, she dated Flava Flav before marrying O'Reilly. Never saw that coming.

Wow, I thought you were kidding.
   1075. RollingWave Posted: March 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM (#4390925)
But change the weapon to guns and people suddenly think it's a serious argument to suggest that a restraining order forcing the guy to relinquish his guns would matter.

There is clearly a line somewhere, you'd surely agree, otherwise , why not just legalize RPG / full auto shotgun / machine guns / tanks / missiles / nukes ? I mean if i'm attacked by guys in a car with rifle, surely I need a RPG for self defense right? and of course, against that whole protection against Tyranny argument, surely nukes is the only sure fire answer.

1076. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM (#4390926)
All I need is my razor-edged boomerang and kevlar glove.
   1077. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM (#4390950)
You should have stuck to petulance and snark, because explaining it further makes it sound even more ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than Joe's theories on how increasing the white turnout will win the White House back for the GOP, or Jose's explanation of why that fly ball hit him on the head.

----------------------------------------

All I need is my razor-edged boomerang and kevlar glove.

Hey, just give me my bolo punch and I'll go one-on-one with any Bushmaster on Earth.
   1078. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: March 19, 2013 at 01:02 AM (#4390972)

Literally.

Several years ago, I toured the LA County Morgue. Outside of the autopsy room, awaiting a Coroner's exam, were the remains of an elderly "cat lady" who had lived alone and had not been discovered for days after her death.

10+ hungry cats and a body don't make for a pretty picture ...

I've seen this up close and I'm simply not going to live with anything that's capable of eating me. In the bad way. I mean, where's the closeness? "Here, kitty, kitty", so it jumps into your lap and nuzzles your cheek, and all the while you know it's sizing you up, just in case...

WTF? This is not a house cat. It's a juvenile tiger, or something, or a breeding experiment. Can house cats crossbreed with, say, racoons?

If you're not paying attention, he can pull food out of your hand. He's also strong enough to open the fridge and explore, so all meat has to be stored in tupperware.

You sure an ex-girlfriend didn't just leave you with her very hairy child?

1079. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: March 19, 2013 at 01:16 AM (#4390976)
From TFA linked in 1070:

The President Barack Obama administration is claiming that authorities do not need court warrants to affix GPS devices to vehicles to monitor their every move.

The administration maintains that position despite the Supreme Court’s infamous decision last year that concluded that attaching the GPS devices amounted to search protected by the Constitution.

The administration is set to make its argument Tuesday before a federal appeals court in a case testing the parameters of the high court’s 2012 decision. If the government prevails, the high court’s ruling would be virtually meaningless.

“This case is the government’s primary hope that it does not need a judge’s approval to attach a GPS device to a car,” Catherine Crump, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a telephone interview.

This is ####### madness, especially as overseen by a former Constitutional Law professor. Where the hell is the gain, here, particularly given how badly this shreds Constitutional protections? What brutal crimes are routinely being committed because police can't get warrants through which to install GPS's on suspects' cars?

If Obama gets what he wants here, why shouldn't we just go ahead and save the government a bit of bother by installing GPS's on all new cars and give those serial numbers and tracking info to the police? If there's a difference between that and this, it's a trivial difference.

Whether because they believe it's just, or simply in order to find one more thing to hassle Obama about, I'd love to see the right continue the way Rand Paul did, and call him out on this and every other occasion where Obama decides to wipe his ass with the Constitution.
   1080. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 19, 2013 at 01:28 AM (#4390981)
WTF? This is not a house cat. It's a juvenile tiger, or something, or a breeding experiment. Can house cats crossbreed with, say, racoons?

When can I say? The cat's got a z-score of 4. When he kneads his giant bear claws, it looks like Freddy Krueger.

Thankfully he's very good-natured or he'd be an incredible pain to deal with. You can roughhouse with him and he won't use his claws.
   1081. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: March 19, 2013 at 01:29 AM (#4390982)
I'd love to see the right continue the way Rand Paul did, and call him out on this and every other occasion where Obama decides to wipe his ass with the Constitution.

Unfortunately, the right isn't all that libertarian generally. There would be little to no Stand With Rand if Bush was still the president.
   1082. Rants Mulliniks Posted: March 19, 2013 at 07:41 AM (#4391004)
1031. Slivers of Maranville (SdeB) Posted: March 18, 2013 at 04:04 PM (#4390673)

No of course not. Global finances are not interconnected in any way, and Bernanke's QE to infinity currency devaluation hasn't started a global currency war. Cyprus is just an economically isolated flea, and what happens there could never happen in a country like the US where the citizenry is so staunch in its defense of liberty and private property rights. I mean, you guys really put your foot down when the government wanted to use your tax dollars to bail out the very same banks that that were selling sub-prime mortagages as blue chip investments, preventing millions of people from losing their jobs and going on food stamps. Phew! That was a close one.

Obama decides to wipe his ass with the Constitution.

The Constitution is already dead.
   1083. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2013 at 08:10 AM (#4391006)
Maybe Obama's just desperate to expand DWB to everyone, i.e, white people. Your fears are all realized.
   1084. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 19, 2013 at 08:21 AM (#4391014)
No of course not. Global finances are not interconnected in any way, and Bernanke's QE to infinity currency devaluation hasn't started a global currency war.

Neither Krugman nor Bernanke prescribe "QE to infinity" (whatever that means) as a solution to the present crisis, nor is there currently a global currency war (has the European Central Bank done much easing at all?), nor, if there were, would it have anything to do with the situation in Cyprus, whose troubles have nothing to do with currency devaluation or inflation.
   1085. Rants Mulliniks Posted: March 19, 2013 at 08:24 AM (#4391015)
nor is there currently a global currency war

Oh, so the 48,500 hits for "currency war" in Google News must just be internet wackos making #### up.

As for QE to infinity, Bernanke and every other western central banker seem to believe that debt problems can be solved with more debt, and if that isn't working its because they haven't run up enough debt. The line is going to go asymptotic before they will ever admit they're wrong.
   1086. zonk Posted: March 19, 2013 at 08:35 AM (#4391020)
This is ####### madness, especially as overseen by a former Constitutional Law professor. Where the hell is the gain, here, particularly given how badly this shreds Constitutional protections? What brutal crimes are routinely being committed because police can't get warrants through which to install GPS's on suspects' cars?

If Obama gets what he wants here, why shouldn't we just go ahead and save the government a bit of bother by installing GPS's on all new cars and give those serial numbers and tracking info to the police? If there's a difference between that and this, it's a trivial difference.

Whether because they believe it's just, or simply in order to find one more thing to hassle Obama about, I'd love to see the right continue the way Rand Paul did, and call him out on this and every other occasion where Obama decides to wipe his ass with the Constitution.

Pshaw...

Why is anyone shocked by this?

This is why such powers should never be surrendered to ANY President without a fight... because the next one will want to keep them, no matter what sort of person that next President is, no matter what his/her background, no matter what their principles. Thus has it been since Washington.

No President is immune and anyone that thinks they can elect the "right" President that will just magically cede back any authority is a fool. It simply will. not. happen.

Install Ron Paul tomorrow and the next day drone strikes and GPS tracking would continue. Put Glenn Greenwald in the Oval Office this weekend and gitmo will still be open on Monday.

There is one thing that every President since the birth of the US has and will always have in common -- they may not know it when it they take say it, but they ALWAYS take the oath of office in the form of:

“I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend (the Constitution of) the United States."
   1087. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2013 at 08:52 AM (#4391029)
Oh, so the 48,500 hits for "currency war" in Google News must just be internet wackos making #### up.

I don't know anything about currency, but knowing what I know about internet wackos, I feel comfortable saying, "Yes, pretty likely."

Also, my question in #1056 was not in reference to Cyprus but in reference to "throughout Europe". I was curious if that was more SBB's desire than actual recognition of fact so far.
   1088. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 19, 2013 at 08:52 AM (#4391030)
As for QE to infinity, Bernanke and every other western central banker seem to believe that debt problems can be solved with more debt, and if that isn't working its because they haven't run up enough debt. The line is going to go asymptotic before they will ever admit they're wrong.

So in your mind QE is more debt or something? You realize it is buying debt and essentially creating money, which can in theory have negative consequences (since there is no one policy that always works). But in any event does not create debt in any way, and almost nothing to do with Cyprus and what is happening there.

So basically you are making no sense, though I do love the "Currency War!" references because if someone somewhere put a war tag on something it must be evil, or something.
   1089. Publius Publicola Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:00 AM (#4391036)
Congressional resolutions are just silly.... and we have plenty of them.

Not so sure about this one though. MS is notoriously difficult to diagnose, and any publicity to make people more aware of the often subtle and complex set of symptoms is a good thing.
   1090. zonk Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:05 AM (#4391038)
Do I have to arm my dollars or are they expected to buy their own arms?
   1091. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:12 AM (#4391042)

First you need to incorporate them, and then they can be people too and have a right to bear arms, even if they abuse other currency.

Dolla Bill y'all.
   1092. Greg K Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:13 AM (#4391044)

I think you need to weigh up all your options, and let your conscience decide, zonk.
   1093. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:25 AM (#4391048)

Not when half of those are preceded by the phrase "there is no".

1094. Delorians Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:28 AM (#4391051)
The point is that everyone -- even you, Andy -- immediately sees how silly it is to suggest that taking away this guy's blowtorches would have changed the end result when he was hell bent on harming his wife one way or the other.

There will always be people who think that they are hellbent on harming people in their life. In some cases, this 'feeling of rage' is a fleeting moment, in others, hours, in others, days. The longer that timeline is, the more likely that the weapon of choice (gun, blowtorch, rope, candlestick, lead pipe) doesn't matter. It is in the situations where the moment of rage is very short lived that the difference between a loaded gun on the counter and a blowtorch in the back shed saves a life.

Install Ron Paul tomorrow and the next day drone strikes and GPS tracking would continue.

Disagree. I think he (and his dad) are the real deal, at least on civil liberties. Which is why...

There would be little to no Stand With Rand if Bush was still the president.

Is completely true.
   1095. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:33 AM (#4391055)
If anyone wants to try their hand at solving Cyprus' problem, you can try this choose your own adventure version.
   1096. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:39 AM (#4391058)
Obama decides to wipe his ass with the Constitution.

Translation: Some branch of government is doing things that my seance with the Founding Fathers informs me is unconstitutional. Shorter version: The Constitution is whatever I say it is.

I know a guy who says he's writing a book whose thesis is that "everything" the Supreme Court has done since Marbury v Madison is unconstitutional. I'm sure he could sell quite a few copies around here.
   1097. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:43 AM (#4391059)
Disagree. I think he (and his dad) are the real deal, at least on civil liberties.

If this becomes the hard-core civil liberty that no one has to serve black or gay people or sick people if they don't want - the market can decide, I'm not really sure enough people find that an attractive type of liberty.
   1098. Rants Mulliniks Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:45 AM (#4391062)

Translation: Some branch of government is doing things that my seance with the Founding Fathers informs me is unconstitutional. Shorter version: The Constitution is whatever I say it is.

When the President says he can put a GPS on everyone's car without a warrant, the 4th Amendment is dead. This is corroborated by indefinite detention without charge or trial, as laid out in the NDAA. But people like you Andy who have never done anything wrong don't have to worry about it.

The 1st Amendment died a long time ago.
   1099. Rants Mulliniks Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:46 AM (#4391063)
So in your mind QE is more debt or something? You realize it is buying debt and essentially creating money

Yes, creating money under the burden of interest, i.e. debt.
   1100. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2013 at 09:47 AM (#4391064)
The 1st Amendment died a long time ago.

Do you rail this hard anywhere against your own country's pornography and hate-speech laws?
Page 11 of 30 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.