Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, February 28, 2013

[OTP - March] Scott wants money for spring training teams

While working at the Detroit Tigers’ spring facility in Lakeland, Gov. Rick Scott announced today he will ask the Florida Legislature to set aside $5 million a year for projects specifically aimed at improving the Major League Baseball training facilities in the state.

“It’s my job as governor to make sure Florida remains the number one destination for spring training and that is why we will work to provide $5 million annually to only be used for spring training facilities,” Scott said in a statement that was released while Scott was participating in one of his “work days” with the Tigers at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland.

Tripon Posted: February 28, 2013 at 02:05 PM | 2909 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baseball, florida, ot, politics, spring training

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 30 of 30 pages ‹ First  < 25 26 27 28 29 30
   2901. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: March 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM (#4400116)
Is that what you think? You think birth control is just about "free sex"? No pondering on the responsibility of bringing a new human being into the world?

In fact what brought Sanger to her passion for birth control wasn't her thoughts about eugenics, but her experiences in social work on the Lower East Side of New York, where she saw countless deaths of mothers brought about by uncontrolled serial births and self-induced abortions. It was from those horrific scenes that she became fixed on the idea of providing contraception information to any woman who wanted it, women of all classes and races.
   2902. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM (#4400131)
"Mistakenly" born alive? Has this ever happened? Abortions are legal within the first trimester.

Do some research. Abortions are legal up to birth in the US. This site estimates 44,000 survivors of botched abortions in the US.

http://www.theabortionsurvivors.com/abortion-survivors-their-stories/

That's all I'll say today, it's Easter (Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!), I'm not going to enrage myself debating this issue.
   2903. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM (#4400133)
Is that what you think? You think birth control is just about "free sex"? No pondering on the responsibility of bringing a new human being into the world?

Wow.

It's not true for every practicioner but that's the ideology behind it, yes.

Since one can achieve the same success rate at avoiding pregnancy by simply avoiding coitus one week a month, there's really no other reason for it.
   2904. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM (#4400138)
Abortions are legal up to birth in the US.

No, they are not, but it's clear you have ingested the propaganda.

Since one can achieve the same success rate at avoiding pregnancy by simply avoiding coitus one week a month, there's really no other reason for it.

Wait, the rhythm method is fine but using a condom is Sodom and Gomorrah?
   2905. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: March 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM (#4400140)
Do some research. Abortions are legal up to birth in the US.

That's a completely misleading statement, since it ignores state restrictions that put up countless barriers to women wishing to abort, not to mention the endless legal harassment of abortion clinics throughout nearly all of the red states and many of the blue ones. As you can see by this State Table of restrictions, in 36 states over 75% of the counties don't have a single abortion provider, and in 26 of those states the number of counties without any provider is over 90%, with Mississippi at 99%. For people who like to whine at every opportunity about "big government" and the "nanny state", they sure do seem comfortable in sticking themselves into the middle of a doctor-patient relationship whenever it suits their particular fancy.
   2906. Lassus Posted: March 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM (#4400146)
That's all I'll say today, it's Easter (Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!)

Seriously. The money I get from the church for holy week (I was handed the check DURING MASS) will help tremendously with my vacation, during which I'll be frequently sinning with a ballet instructor.
   2907. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM (#4400147)
That's all I'll say today, it's Easter (Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!), I'm not going to enrage myself debating this issue.

If you get too mad you might not find all the eggs. Easter, Halloween, why is it that the pagan holidays are the most fun?

2908. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM (#4400148)
For people who like to whine at every opportunity about "big government" and the "nanny state", they sure do seem comfortable in sticking themselves into the middle of a doctor-patient relationship whenever it suits their particular fancy.

They aren't meddling in the doctor/patient relationship. Jesus is. They're just his humble agents.
   2909. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: March 31, 2013 at 01:05 PM (#4400155)

That's flatly untrue. Women are typically fertile for 12 consecutive days out of every 28. It's also not totally regular. The rhythm method is typically effective less than 90% of the time. Even if used perfectly, it's only effective about 95% of the time.

But don't let anything so narrow and small as a fact get in the way of your ludicrous agenda.
   2910. SteveF Posted: March 31, 2013 at 07:26 PM (#4400351)
This.pdf(warning, PDF) is a pretty good survey of current abortion laws in the US.

There are no gestational limits (or limits on partial birth abortion) in DC, Oregon, and Vermont. Every other state either precludes partial birth abortions or has a gestational limit (except in the case of danger to mother's health).

Most places it's 20 or 24 weeks (3rd trimester) or viability (which is generally 24 weeks).
Page 30 of 30 pages ‹ First  < 25 26 27 28 29 30

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.