Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

OTP 04 December 2017: Baseball group accused of ‘united front’ tactics

New Power Party (NPP) Legislator Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明) said that the baseball association should bear the brunt of the blame for letting Taiwanese players become political tools in China’s “united front” strategy and for giving Chinese media an opportunity to promote the “both sides of the Strait are one family” view without restraint.

China is not a top-tier nation in baseball and positive effects on Taiwanese baseball from the tournament would be limited, Hsu said.

The Chinese Taipei Baseball Association should not go along with China, he said, adding that the Sports Administration should investigate whether the association accepted financial aid and whether it reported issues to the government in advance.

“The government should clearly standardize the guidelines for cross-strait sports exchanges,” Hsu added.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:57 AM | 1746 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: china, politics, taiwan

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 18 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:30 PM (#5586851)
Never mind. Gotta eat.
   102. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:37 PM (#5586852)
In most federal agencies, everyone is on the GS scale, or for highest ranking, the Senior Executive Service pay scale. The CFPB is very much an outlier. It's such a gravy train that I know of one political appointee who resigned his presidential appointment as a member of a multi-member regulatory agency to head up a small CFPB office, supervising less than 10 people. He got a big raise.
While the CFPB pay scale looks top heavy, the mean salary of $113K (per the article on washingtonexaminer) is roughly equivalent to a standard GS-13 or bottom-rung GS-14 step 1 in Washington DC (note that GS in DC get a 27% locality vs an 18% for CFPB locality in DC, so the base pay doesn't directly map). Also, it looks like the Washington Examiner article compared locality-adjusted pay for CFPB personnel with non-adjusted salaries for others, so most of the "x CFPB personnel earn more than..." statements are probably incorrect.

I suspect an organization like the CFPB would be top-heavy since it has a lot of responsibility, is competing for the same talent pool as banks and must compete with other agencies for Gov't workers. The average federal salary in DC in 2016 was 112K, so a mean of 113K doesn't seem out of line; if anything, given the CFPB's responsibilities, that might be lower than expected.

Speaking of which, some agencies, like Treasury, are on a "special rate table" so they are even more difficult to compare. For instance, a GS-11 step 5 would earn 113,469 working for the Treasury department in DC. A GS-11 is an entry-level position that often doesn't even require a college degree. So without knowing the duties, that might not be terribly inappropriate.

Sorry for all the edits, hit submit accidentally.
   103. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:38 PM (#5586853)
Dersh:

This grant of power authorizes the president to decide who should be investigated and prosecuted and who not. presidents including John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy and Barack Obama have exercised this authority by instructing the Justice Department to investigate and prosecute individuals or groups — and not to investigate or prosecute others. Some have exercised that authority wisely, others not. But none have committed the crime of obstruction of justice by trying to influence prosecutorial decisions.

President George H.W. Bush stopped an investigation in its tracks — an investigation that could have pointed directly to criminal action by him during the Iran Contra scandal — when he pardoned Casper Weinberger and five others crucial witnesses that could have pointed the finger at him. The special prosecutor, Lawrence Walsh, was furious at this decision, claiming that it was intended to, and did, stop the investigation. Yet no one suggested that President Bush be charged with obstruction of justice, because in pardoning those witnesses he was exercising his constitutional authority under Article II.

http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/363387-no-one-is-above-the-law
   104. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:42 PM (#5586854)
In response to the late (official) support from the President and the RNC for a molester, Ann Telnaes on the new Republican Party logo.
   105. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:43 PM (#5586855)
I was at a party for Trump unit owners in NYC last night, at Trump Tower on Fifth Ave (where Obama had Trump's wires tapped). Hosted by Eric and Don Jr. I've got selfies with both of them, plus with Eric's wife Lara. They were all very gracious and nice. The two sons gave speeches and gave away prizes.

I did not ask them how they managed to hack Podesta's emails.
   106. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:43 PM (#5586856)
ICYMI, Andy (and anyone else who cares)...

Ali Rogin, ABC News:
.@SenCoryGardner reiterates this AM that the @NRSC has not changed its position on Roy Moore (which is that that he should be expelled from the Senate if he wins)
   107. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:49 PM (#5586857)
#103:
President George H.W. Bush stopped an investigation in its tracks...when he pardoned Casper Weinberger and five others crucial witnesses that could have pointed the finger at him. Yet no one suggested that President Bush be charged with obstruction of justice, because...

...he'd lost the election and was leaving office in three weeks.
   108. Traderdave Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:49 PM (#5586858)
I was at a party for Trump unit owners in NYC last night, at Trump Tower on Fifth Ave (where Obama had Trump's wires tapped). Hosted by Eric and Don Jr. I've got selfies with both of them, plus with Eric's wife Lara. They were all very gracious and nice. The two sons gave speeches and gave away prizes.

Now we all know what pictures Ray looks at during, er, private time.
   109. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:53 PM (#5586860)
Now we all know what pictures Ray looks at during, er, private time.
I'm intrigued that Ray, who's been posting most of the day, waits until now to clue us in.

More importantly, Ray, did you violate the Logan Act?
   110. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:58 PM (#5586862)
I'm sure Ray danced real good for Uday and Kusay.
   111. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: December 05, 2017 at 06:59 PM (#5586864)
If this is about Lerner going after "non profit" political groups that were not actually non-profit it's not even partisanship. While the original "scandal" was sold as a political operation by President Jungle Savage against poor, put upon Tea Party patriots, the actual long form investigation found that the IRS went after far more liberal groups than right wingers.

First sentence is the one that matters. None of these groups deserve tax exemptions. Most of section 501(c) below (3) should be repealed.
   112. Lassus Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:01 PM (#5586865)
The two sons gave speeches and gave away prizes.
Elephant tusks, coats made out of giraffe necks, rhino horns, lion tails, etc.
   113. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:04 PM (#5586867)
EDIT: Try 118 instead.
   114. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:04 PM (#5586868)
#105/109:
I was at a party...at Trump Tower on Fifth Ave...Hosted by Eric and Don Jr. I've got selfies with both of them

I'm intrigued that Ray, who's been posting most of the day, waits until now to clue us in.

It's called the male refractory period.
   115. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:06 PM (#5586869)

I can't vouch for the underlying info, but this tweeted video from Pew, if accurate, strongly undermines the liberal talking point that liberals are all sensible moderates in contrast to Republicans having moved far to the right.

(Said talking point usually expressed in terms of "Reagan couldn't be nominated by Republicans today" or "Obama is an Eisenhower Republican" or the like.)
   116. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:06 PM (#5586870)
   117. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:07 PM (#5586871)

114: you need to fix your link.
   118. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:08 PM (#5586872)
   119. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:09 PM (#5586873)
First sentence is the one that matters. None of these groups deserve tax exemptions. Most of section 501(c) below (3) should be repealed.
Indeed, our tax-exempt status rules are too lenient. Of course, then you're ok if the Southern Poverty Law Center, People for the American Way, and Planned Parenthood's 501c3 arm lose their tax-exempt status, right?
   120. Morty Causa Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:11 PM (#5586874)
Torture doesn't really work,

As stated, this seems overbroad. The threat of consequences, especially in the form of pain or punishment is used in many ways and forms, and they work generally and specifically, if limitedly, and certainly not universally or absolutely, but then what does. And torture is simply a species of that. Does telling your child that you will spank him if he lies work? Sure, sometimes, in some cases. To ensure it is more likely to work, and that it is used for a directed purpose, it needs to be used in conjunction with forms and avenues of substantiation and confirmation.

And of course there are the moral and ethical considerations. But, I don't see why as a general proposition it can't work in a limited sense
   121. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:13 PM (#5586875)
(Said talking point usually expressed in terms of "Reagan couldn't be nominated by Republicans today" or "Obama is an Eisenhower Republican" or the like.)

Of course, the existence of some loony lefties doesn't mean these things aren't true. I mean, Reagan taxed capital gains at the same rates as wages for cryin' out loud.
   122. Morty Causa Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:17 PM (#5586876)

Saying that the state had no choice but to take them at their word, Alabama officials on Tuesday announced that thousands of sex offenders would be released after the inmates firmly denied the charges.

Which is worse? A denial being sufficient? Or an accusation by itself suffices unto itself? This is what we get with trial by media, and both are pretty scary.
   123. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:17 PM (#5586877)
119: SPLC & PP do some actual charitable work. That aspect should be exempt. The "educational" arms, not so much.
   124. Traderdave Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:18 PM (#5586878)
Wow, a hundred bucks.

Surely Flake has a ton more than that in unspent campaign funds, no?
   125. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:21 PM (#5586879)
Which is worse? A denial being sufficient? Or an accusation by itself suffices unto itself? This is what we get with trial by media, and both are pretty scary.

Roy Moore is not in any legal jeopardy. Running for office IS trial by media.
   126. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:24 PM (#5586880)
This is rather interesting - Kihuen Says Pelosi Knew Of Sexual Harassment Allegations:
Amid allegations of sexual harassment, embattled freshman Democratic Rep. Ruben Kihuen vowed he will not resign from his post, despite calls from Democratic leaders that he step aside.

Instead, Kihuen is digging in with a shocking allegation of his own, taking aim at the leaders of his own party. In an interview with ABC News, Kihuen, D-Nev., said party leaders knew last year about a former campaign staffer’s allegations of misconduct but stood by his campaign nonetheless. Kihuen questioned why they are calling for his resignation now, more than a year later.

“I do find it interesting that the DCCC, Leader [Nancy] Pelosi and Chairman Ben Ray Lujan -- they knew about these allegations last year,” Kihuen said. “They looked into them. They didn't find anything, and they continued investing millions of dollars in my campaign. They went out there and campaigned for me.”

Pelosi denies. One of them might be fibbing a bit here.
   127. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:26 PM (#5586881)

I dunno morty I mean #yesallmen but plenty of men so far have avoided being accused. Maybe if you aren't a sleazeball at work you won't be accused. Most of these allegations are very specific, with specific acts fitting into larger patterns over years and even decades with multiple accusers. The sleazebag state legislator from Cali (yes a Democrat!) fits the pattern perfectly. Years of sleazey behavior, only now finally facing any repercussions.

And so far, other than Weinstein, I haven't heard of any criminal charges coming from any of these #metoo allegations. A "trial by media" doesn't usually result in a lockup. Maybe lost job opportunists and a divorce.

This is mostly about women telling their stories about shitty men. Just sit down, be humble and listen once and awhile rather than auto pushing back is what I'd advise most of us men to do.

Clapper -- best news I've heard about the Dems in years! Anything that forces Pelosi out is good. She is toxic to the Dems. For various reasons, some not her fault, but she's gotta go.
   128. Morty Causa Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:28 PM (#5586882)
Roy Moore is not in any legal jeopardy. Running for office IS trial by media.

A witch hunt mindset in a ravenous lynch party atmosphere is not justifiable.

EDITed: YMMV.
   129. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:31 PM (#5586883)
A witch hunt mindset in a ravenous lynch party atmosphere is not justifiable.

This is not a witch hunt. This is a house cleaning! Nobody is getting lynched. My goodness.
   130. Lassus Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:37 PM (#5586885)
Rich people in charge are looking out for you and yours:
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has informed employees who’ve worked extra hours battling a record wave of natural disasters in 2017 that they may have to pay back some of their overtime.

Federal law caps some federal employees’ premium pay and permits agencies to recover money paid in excess of the maximum from future paychecks. FEMA says the extraordinary year of hurricanes, wildfires and other disasters means it may have to take that step.

“This year’s unprecedented hurricane season led to a record-setting length of national activation,” the agency said in an emailed statement. “Due to the extended work hours involved in supporting disaster recovery and response efforts for multiple storms, some employees have been affected by the annual maximum earnings limitation.”

The agency last month sent employees a Frequently Asked Questions document saying that those who hit the annual cap due to the number of extra hours they’ve worked “may still be ordered to perform work without receiving further compensation,” and would “continue to receive their regular base pay regardless of whether they exceed the annual premium pay cap or not.”

Then, it said, “A bill will be determined and established for any premium pay amounts over the annual premium pay cap and the employee will be notified and billed in 2018 for that amount."
   131. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:40 PM (#5586886)
SCOTUSblog looks at the oral argument for the gay cake case. It characterizes the Court as "leaning towards" a 5-4 outcome, even though Justice Breyer reminded the conservative judges of the near-impossibility in constructing a ruling that doesn't “undermine every civil rights law since year 2.”

The hearing took place on the same day that the Court let stand a decision that allows Texas to take away employer insurance spousal benefits only from same-sex couples.
   132. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:41 PM (#5586887)
WSJ's turn in the shade. This is probably the genesis of the WH's denial.

Lassus: they shouldn't have been wasting all those billable hours building the camps and stocking the train cars!
   133. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:42 PM (#5586888)
I can't vouch for the underlying info, but this tweeted video from Pew, if accurate, strongly undermines the liberal talking point that liberals are all sensible moderates in contrast to Republicans having moved far to the right.
From 2011-17? Absolutely.

And if you squint, you can just make out what appears to be a smiling Sammy surfing as the wave crests left.
   134. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 07:52 PM (#5586893)
#132:
WSJ's turn in the shade.

Muller? A paper should never misspell a name in a correction.
   135. ^^^ Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:04 PM (#5586896)
SCOTUSblog looks at the oral argument for the gay cake case. It characterizes the Court as "leaning towards" a 5-4 outcome, even though Justice Breyer reminded the conservative judges of the near-impossibility in constructing a ruling that doesn't “undermine every civil rights law since year 2.”

The government not mandating speech is liberal, not "conservative." All indications are that the cake baker had no issue selling things to all comers.
   136. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:07 PM (#5586897)
The government not mandating speech is liberal, not "conservative."

Well, don't tell Alito that, or there'll be a sudden myocardial vacancy on the Court.
   137. ^^^ Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:15 PM (#5586899)
So yeah, as noted -- fake news. Again. Some source or sources is exaggerating things to the press, quite possibly on purpose.
   138. Traderdave Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:21 PM (#5586902)
My colleagues at Deutsche were told in house that the bank "complies with all investigations." While the note didn't say the s-word, my people believe it's either already happened or it's in the mail.

Note that one of the transactions in question was the sale to a Russian bank of a loan Trump on which Trump had defaulted. Even if that trade turns out squeaky clean, on the face of it it's very much worthy of a subpoena.
   139. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:23 PM (#5586904)
Indeed, our tax-exempt status rules are too lenient. Of course, then you're ok if the Southern Poverty Law Center, People for the American Way, and Planned Parenthood's 501c3 arm lose their tax-exempt status, right?

Nope. I am against any tax exempt status for anyone. Tightening up the rules, however, for everyone would be a fine start.
   140. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:26 PM (#5586906)
The hearing took place on the same day that the Court let stand a decision that allows Texas to take away employer insurance spousal benefits only from same-sex couples.
That is not even a tiny bit accurate description of this case. There is no such decision.

EDIT: And that's precisely why SCOTUS didn't hear it; it's premature.
   141. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:35 PM (#5586910)
   142. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:53 PM (#5586919)
Of course, the existence of some loony lefties doesn't mean these things aren't true.
That's not what the video shows; it shows that the Dems have moved left and the Republicans really haven't moved right since 1994.
   143. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 08:57 PM (#5586920)
I was at a party for Trump unit owners in NYC last night, at Trump Tower on Fifth Ave (where Obama had Trump's wires tapped).

See. Ray's not so much deranged as corrupted.
   144. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:04 PM (#5586922)
The left has gotten "more liberal" in that they have consistently supported extending basic civil rights to previously oppressed minorities such as gays and lesbians. The right hasn't gotten "more conservative" since 1994 because by then they had already subsumed the racist block of old Dixiecrats into their coalition.
   145. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:05 PM (#5586923)
Newsweek, yesterday: Same-Sex Couples Don't Get the Same Marriage Benefits as Heterosexuals in Texas
Not my fault if Newsweek reporters (and almost all other reporters) are incompetent at reporting legal issues -- particularly when the issues are procedural rather than substantive. There was no ruling whatsoever as to whether SSC (who work for the government -- the issue has nothing to do with SSC generally) get equal marriage benefits in Texas. The Texas Supreme Court sent the case back to the trial court to make that determination.
   146. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:06 PM (#5586924)

Nope. I am against any tax exempt status for anyone.
Shock. Lefty wants to raise taxes, impose them on even more people.
   147. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:16 PM (#5586926)
My colleagues at Deutsche were told in house that the bank "complies with all investigations." While the note didn't say the s-word, my people believe it's either already happened or it's in the mail.
The statement by Sekulow was a carefully worded denial. He did not say that DB hadn't been hit with subpoenas by Mueller. He said
“We have confirmed that the news reports that the Special Counsel had subpoenaed financial records relating to the president are false,” Sekulow told Reuters in a statement. “No subpoena has been issued or received. We have confirmed this with the bank and other sources.”
Note that he didn't say that there were no subpoenas related to the Trump Organization, or to Trump Jr. or any other Trump spawn or to Kushner. He said "relating to the president."

(In fact, if he's really being sneaky, he could argue that Trump's records from, e.g., 2015 do not "relate to the president" since Trump wasn't president then.)
   148. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:17 PM (#5586927)
   149. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:21 PM (#5586930)

With respect to Masterpiece Cakeshop, the Court could issue a split-the-baby ruling stating that while free speech certainly does trump antidiscrimination law, making a wedding cake isn't sufficiently like speech for the bakers to prevail. Or if the liberals get their way, they could just rule on the second half of that: designing a wedding cake isn't speech, and therefore they don't need to address the issue of whether more speechlike services could be exempt.
   150. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:33 PM (#5586933)
ICYMI, Andy (and anyone else who cares)...

Ali Rogin, ABC News:

.@SenCoryGardner reiterates this AM that the @NRSC has not changed its position on Roy Moore (which is that that he should be expelled from the Senate if he wins)

So is the NRSC going to force the RNC to get its money back from the Moore campaign? And will McConnell shame the RNC into reversing themselves? Money talks and you know what walks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alabama Forced To Release Thousands Of Sex Offenders After Inmates Deny Charges

MONTGOMERY, AL—Saying that the state had no choice but to take them at their word, Alabama officials on Tuesday announced that thousands of sex offenders would be released after the inmates firmly denied the charges. “If they said they didn’t do it, then what choice do we have but to let them go?” said Alabama Department of Corrections administrator Clay Buxton, adding that penitentiaries statewide would be interviewing prisoners and releasing them immediately upon receiving their sworn declaration of innocence. “We sometimes ask these individuals not just once but multiple times if they’re guilty of sex crimes, and when they say no, often very emphatically, our hands are pretty much tied.” Buxton emphasized, however, that any inmates who admitted that they did commit a sex crime will remain behind bars and continue to carry out their sentences as originally handed down.

This isn't the first time that the line between truth and The Onion has faded to the point of near invisibility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

151. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:36 PM (#5586935)
From the NYTs on Weinstein:

The studio chief once paid a gossip writer to collect juicy celebrity tidbits that Mr. Weinstein could use to barter if other reporters stumbled onto an affair he was trying to keep quiet. He was so close to David J. Pecker, the chief executive of American Media Inc., which owns The Enquirer, that he was known in the tabloid industry as an untouchable “F.O.P.,” or “friend of Pecker.” That status was shared by a chosen few, including President Trump.

Don't we have a trained comedian among us to parse such laughable coincidences?
   152. dlf Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:38 PM (#5586936)
With respect to Masterpiece Cakeshop, the Court could issue a split-the-baby ruling stating that while free speech certainly does trump antidiscrimination law, making a wedding cake isn't sufficiently like speech for the bakers to prevail. Or if the liberals get their way, they could just rule on the second half of that: designing a wedding cake isn't speech, and therefore they don't need to address the issue of whether more speechlike services could be exempt.

I wouldn't be shocked if they punted on the issue. From Kennedy's questioning, it appears that he'd like to simply find that the commission's ruling (e.g. directing training for the bakery staff) exceeded its jurisdiction and return it for further hearing at the administrative agency then all the way back up through the courts before he has to substantively decide.
   153. dlf Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:42 PM (#5586938)
MONTGOMERY, AL—Saying that the state had no choice but to take them at their word, Alabama officials on Tuesday announced that thousands of sex offenders would be released after the inmates firmly denied the charges. “If they said they didn’t do it, then what choice do we have but to let them go?” said Alabama Department of Corrections administrator Clay Buxton, adding that penitentiaries statewide would be interviewing prisoners and releasing them immediately upon receiving their sworn declaration of innocence. “We sometimes ask these individuals not just once but multiple times if they’re guilty of sex crimes, and when they say no, often very emphatically, our hands are pretty much tied.” Buxton emphasized, however, that any inmates who admitted that they did commit a sex crime will remain behind bars and continue to carry out their sentences as originally handed down.

I know its the Onion, but just wanted to bring this vaguely back to baseball. In the mid-90s, I was tangentially involved in an administrative hearing where a couple of prison wardens brought an action against the head of the Alabama Department of Corrections. One of those wardens was Ron Sutton, the brother of HOF pitcher Don. I got to spend a lot of time with Ron over the course of prep and the hearings. Really nice guy. Through him, I got some prime seats at the old AFC Stadium. Ron, unfortunately, did not have Don's perm.
   154. Morty Causa Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:47 PM (#5586941)
Roman Polanski: Good filmmaker; bad rapist

This is the extreme I had in mind. Puritanism returns with a vengeance. A silly, but hurtful, unthinking vengeance.
   155. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:47 PM (#5586942)
Speaking today in Alabama, Doug Jones hits a two-bank shot on his decades-later prosecution and conviction of the Birmingham church bombers: "I damn sure believe that I have done my part to ensure that men who hurt little girls should go to jail and not the United States Senate."
   156. dlf Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:47 PM (#5586943)
That's not what the video shows; it shows that the Dems have moved left and the Republicans really haven't moved right since 1994.

I know you know this, but the idea of trying to place the political positions of the two parties on a single two dimensional axis is silly. Is isolationism left or right? Free trade? The party fighting to keep the deficit from growing is the party without legislative power, not a left or right issue anymore.
   157. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:53 PM (#5586944)
Not my fault if Newsweek reporters (and almost all other reporters) are incompetent at reporting legal issues
They seem to inhale the same hookah smoke as the Reuters correspondents covering the IRS.
   158. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:54 PM (#5586948)
This is the extreme I had in mind. Puritanism returns with a vengeance. A silly, but hurtful, unthinking vengeance.

Seder's problem was the joke wasn't funny. The original tweet got a whopping two likes. It was crude, and not funny. If you're going to make a rape joke, even as satire, have the decency to make it funny. The fact that Seder decided to double down on the joke at the end of the softball Slate interview (I loathe Slate, it is every caricature of lefties David and Ray and Blanks want to be true) just proves he still doesn't get it.

And he has a GoFundme. Christ on a cracker.

I know you know this, but the idea of trying to place the political positions of the two parties on a single two dimensional axis is silly. Is isolationism left or right? Free trade? The party fighting to keep the deficit from growing is the party without legislative power, not a left or right issue anymore.

thank you! The entire thing is an exercise in absurdity.
   159. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:55 PM (#5586949)
So is the NRSC going to force the RNC to get its money back from the Moore campaign? And will McConnell shame the RNC into reversing themselves? Money talks and you know what walks.
Yup, I figured you'd say as much.
   160. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:55 PM (#5586950)

I wouldn't be shocked if they punted on the issue. From Kennedy's questioning, it appears that he'd like to simply find that the commission's ruling (e.g. directing training for the bakery staff) exceeded its jurisdiction and return it for further hearing at the administrative agency then all the way back up through the courts before he has to substantively decide.
Punting wouldn't surprise me, but a finding that the commission's remedy crosses the line wouldn't really do it. That would still leave the finding of a violation in place.
   161. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: December 05, 2017 at 09:57 PM (#5586951)
the Court could issue a split-the-baby ruling stating that while free speech certainly does trump antidiscrimination law, making a wedding cake isn't sufficiently like speech for the bakers to prevail

My non-lawyer WAG is that they rule that a generic wedding cake is not speech, but a specific rainbow gay-pride cake is. So this baker can prevail without setting a broad precedent.

Unless David French's recitation of the facts isn't accurate, in which case I withdraw the comment.
   162. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:01 PM (#5586954)

Seder's problem was the joke wasn't funny. The original tweet got a whopping two likes. It was crude, and not funny. If you're going to make a rape joke, even as satire, have the decency to make it funny.
No, that's not his problem. Setting aside that it wasn't a joke per se, and that it was 'funny' in an ironic-not-ha-ha way, he didn't get punished for an eight-year old tweet because it "wasn't funny." It's either because the people at MSNBC were too stupid to understand that it wasn't serious, or because they thought other people were too stupid to understand that it wasn't serious, or because they were looking for an excuse to can him and didn't care how flimsy it was.
   163. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:03 PM (#5586955)

Well, in search of an answer to my own question, here's what I'm finding:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who has called for Moore to leave the race, said Tuesday that he has had “no change of heart” on Moore, did not expect the National Republican Senatorial Committee to reestablish ties with Moore and still predicted an immediate Ethics Committee investigation if Moore is elected, to look into the misconduct allegations. But McConnell also refused to comment on Trump’s decision to direct the national party to reestablish ties.

Several of McConnell’s colleagues also did their best to dodge questions about Trump’s judgment. “Doesn’t really matter what I think at this point, right?” Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) said when asked about the decision.

“I’m not going to try to run the RNC,” Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) said.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) said she would not endorse Moore. “The president’s going to do what the president’s going to do,” she said.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee on Tuesday attempted to broaden the ramification of Trump’s decision to endorse Moore. “Speaker Ryan must unequivocally disavow the RNC and refuse the support of the Committee in 2018,” said Tyler Law, a spokesman for the DNC. “Any organization that spends money to elect child molesters has no place in the political process.” Ryan did not respond. ...

With a week to go before the Dec. 12 special election in Alabama, the RNC transferred $170,000 to the Alabama Republican Party on Tuesday, according to a Republican official, though there was no public announcement of how the money would be spent....

Back in Washington, allies of McConnell have taken to sizing up the Alabama race with cold stoicism. “It is what it is,” they say.

They have defended McConnell’s largely unsuccessful navigation of the race, insisting he did all he could, by setting a methodical plan in motion to reject Moore, attempt to inoculate the party from the allegations and come up with last-ditch ways to field alternative candidates.

But he was unable to force Moore to step aside. Now, with Trump driving party strategy, McConnell stands to suffer politically more than most other Republicans. Not only has he witnessed his political influence wane, but if Moore wins, McConnell will also have to deal with a rogue lawmaker in his ranks armed with a powerful alliance with Trump and determined to dislodge him from power.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer party.

Here's another choice quote from the same article:
At a Tuesday night rally in Fairhope, Ala., at a picnic venue where Moore and [Steve] Bannon held their final pre-primary rally, Bannon made fun of Flake’s $100 donation to Jones and said voters could deliver a blow to “globalists” by defeating the Democrats and the media.

“If they can destroy Roy Moore, they can destroy you,” Bannon said. “They’re trying to send a signal to every young man, woman and child in this country that if they try to stand up for their people, they’ll be destroyed.”

Bannon also lit into Romney for criticizing Moore, saying the 2012 GOP nominee for president had dodged service in Vietnam while Moore served honorably.

“You hid behind your religion,” Bannon said of Romney, who belongs to the Mormon Church. “You went to France to be a missionary while guys were dying in rice paddies.”

Ah, if only Romney had thought of a bone spur!
   164. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:06 PM (#5586956)
So is the NRSC going to force the RNC to get its money back from the Moore campaign?
This is gibberish. The NRSC can't force the RNC to do anything.
And will McConnell shame the RNC into reversing themselves?
McConnell can't shame the RNC into doing anything. McDaniel doesn't answer to McConnell; she answers to Trump. And I think it's pretty well established that Trump can't be shamed into anything.
   165. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:07 PM (#5586957)

Yup, I figured you'd say as much.

My apologies for asking questions that neither you nor McConnell want to answer, even if both of you know the answer all too well. (See #163)
   166. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:08 PM (#5586958)
No, that's not his problem. Setting aside that it wasn't a joke per se, and that it was 'funny' in an ironic-not-ha-ha way, he didn't get punished for an eight-year old tweet because it "wasn't funny." It's either because the people at MSNBC were too stupid to understand that it wasn't serious, or because they thought other people were too stupid to understand that it wasn't serious, or because they were looking for an excuse to can him and didn't care how flimsy it was.

It's an obvious joke and stupid. In general, rape jokes are not funny. Then to make another rape joke at the end of the Slate interview and to start a GoFundMe on the back of this: seriously, the dude can go #### himself.

Of course they didn't fire him because it wasn't funny they fired him for the reasons you listed. I have absolutely zero problem with corporations looking out for their own good and neither should you. Especially neither should you. If you want to be "edgy" and you're a public figure then watch out. It's why I never, ever tweet anything even remotely other than "watch out for this new spyware" on my official business twitter.

Some people just don't understand how the internet works. Nothing is ever forgotten and everything can be blown up out of the context you wanted it.

####, didn't the dude ever have a livejournal?
   167. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:09 PM (#5586959)
(See #163)
(See #164)
   168. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:11 PM (#5586960)
Of course they didn't fire him because it wasn't funny they fired him for the reasons you listed. I have absolutely zero problem with corporations looking out for their own good and neither should you. Especially neither should you. If you want to be "edgy" and you're a public figure then watch out. It's why I never, ever tweet anything even remotely other than "watch out for this new spyware" on my official business twitter.
Ronan Farrow says hi. Ditto Ann Curry.
   169. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:17 PM (#5586961)
It's an obvious joke and stupid. In general, rape jokes are not funny. Then to make another rape joke at the end of the Slate interview and to start a GoFundMe on the back of this: seriously, the dude can go #### himself.
It wasn't a joke; it was satirizing the idiots who were defending Polanski based on him being a great filmmaker. And it was quite effective in doing so. Good jokes about any topic are funny. But if you now acknowledge that they didn't fire him because it wasn't funny, then why did you say just 8 posts earlier, "Seder's problem was the joke wasn't funny."?
   170. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:17 PM (#5586962)
So is the NRSC going to force the RNC to get its money back from the Moore campaign?

This is gibberish. The NRSC can't force the RNC to do anything.

And will McConnell shame the RNC into reversing themselves?

McConnell can't shame the RNC into doing anything. McDaniel doesn't answer to McConnell; she answers to Trump. And I think it's pretty well established that Trump can't be shamed into anything.

All this is true, but it misses the forest for the trees, and given your position on Moore I'm surprised you don't seem to recognize it.

To wit: If the NRSC and McConnell were to attempt to shame the RNC into withdrawing its financial support from Moore, and if the NRSC and McConnell were to simply announce that they disagreed strongly with Trump's support of Moore, they might not be winning many friends in Alabama or the White House, but they would be (1) doing the right thing; and (2) positioning their party on a significantly higher moral plane than it will be if they continue to hem and haw when asked to piss or get off the pot about Moore.

I can't say I expect them to do the right or (long range) smart thing, but I'm always glad to be pleasantly surprised. I think that you might be equally pleased yourself.

EDIT: And I think JE's better half might be equally pleased in the GOP acted to pre-emptively disown themselves from this particular cancerous wart, with no ifs, ands, or buts. But then I'm always optimistic about JE.
   171. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:22 PM (#5586963)
So no discussion of the whole moving the embassy to Jerusalem thing today?
   172. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:24 PM (#5586964)
Nope, although it's kind of fun to see all of these Democrats who always voted to back the move suddenly run around as if their heads were cut off bleating that Trump's decision to move forward on the move is gonna destroy everything.
   173. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:32 PM (#5586969)
My non-lawyer WAG is that they rule that a generic wedding cake is not speech, but a specific rainbow gay-pride cake is. So this baker can prevail without setting a broad precedent.

That was the baker's position. He'd be willing to sell a gay couple cookies, pastries, muffins, brownies or any bakery product, including an off-the shelf cake, for whatever purpose the customers wanted to use it - he just didn't want to affirmatively endorse a gay wedding with his artistry. A slightly broader ruling for the baker might find that people are free to regard marriage as a substantially religious event, and consistent with their religious belief that marriage is between a man and a woman, are free to not participate in marriage events that contradict their religious beliefs. That's still a pretty narrow ruling - clearly distinguishable from claiming your religion allows you to refuse to sell fried chicken to black people.
   174. Morty Causa Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:41 PM (#5586972)
A scale of responses would seem to be the reasonable, level-headed, and mature way to consider this sort of stuff. It isn't just about what an employer's legal right to do or not do. It's what free expression means in a supposedly liberal and democratic society. There are legal rights and there's philosophy. What's your stance on what should be tolerated in a free and open society? If the line in the sand starts with something like what Seder said, then I think that's an indication of a tendency toward repressiveness. One can disapprove of a sentiment expressed without immediately going nuclear. We shouldn't be encouraging this sort of reaction, even if, reluctantly, we concede the firing was perfectly within MSNBC's legal rights.

This was once the liberal position. You can say stuff; I can say stuff. Tolerance. A lot of blood has been spilled just since the 20th century to hobble censorship. And that means censorship across the board. We don't have to go for our guns or start knotting the rope. This is witch hunt mentality, lynch party a go-go celebrations. And I bet liberals, or, rather, antifa/New Left liberalism, would react differently if the matter were in the nature of McCarthy/HUAC type scenarios. Hey, those Hollywood guys deserved to go to jail, legally speaking.
   175. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:50 PM (#5586973)
The statement by Sekulow was a carefully worded denial. He did not say that DB hadn't been hit with subpoenas by Mueller.

Is there any particular reason why Sekulow would need to be careful? I don't understand what purpose that kind of precision would serve. Nobody's going to care about the difference if it turns out Ivanka's accounts were subject to subpoena rather POTUS's.
   176. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:53 PM (#5586974)

Actually, it's recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital, but not moving the embassy.
   177. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:55 PM (#5586977)
Is there any particular reason why Sekulow would need to be careful? I don't understand what purpose that kind of precision would serve.
People not named Trump like to preserve their credibility. Catching them in outright lies doesn't do that. But at the same time he needs to please his boss.
   178. Count Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:55 PM (#5586978)
Religious objection opt out to anti discrimination laws make no sense. Could have eviscerated every anti discrimination statute. (I also don't think baking a cake is "participating" in a ceremony or particularly expressive). Have not seen any conservative grapple with trying to distinguish this case from someone with religious objections to interracial weddings refusing to bake a cake.

edit: missed YC here: "A slightly broader ruling for the baker might find that people are free to regard marriage as a substantially religious event, and consistent with their religious belief that marriage is between a man and a woman, are free to not participate in marriage events that contradict their religious beliefs. That's still a pretty narrow ruling - clearly distinguishable from claiming your religion allows you to refuse to sell fried chicken to black people."

A) fried chicken? I'm sure no harm was meant but it's a little striking (particularly on an overwhelmingly white forum);
B) it's not distinguishable from claiming your religion allows you to refuse to sell a cake for an interracial wedding.
   179. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:57 PM (#5586979)
Actually, it's recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital, but not moving the embassy.
It's actually a bit more than that.

Politico:
President Donald Trump will announce Wednesday that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and will eventually relocate its embassy there - a declaration that could spur violent protests in the Middle East and undermine the White House's effort to strike a peace deal between Israel and the Palestinians.

Trump is making the announcement despite criticism from numerous U.S. allies, including France, Jordan and Saudi Arabia, which have urged him to avoid the extremely sensitive topic.

The president is still open to the possibility of a two-state solution, and he understands that the final borders of Israel and a future Palestinian state remain subject to negotiations, senior administration officials told reporters Tuesday.

Trump will also not declare that Jerusalem must be the "undivided" capital of Israel, an official told POLITICO.

Such caveats appear to leave room for Palestinians to at least claim East Jerusalem as their territory in a future state. Regardless, the administration officials insisted, Trump is not concerned that recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital will derail the peace process, because he sees it as an affirmation of reality.

"While President Trump recognizes that the status of Jerusalem is a highly sensitive issue, he does not think it will be resolved by ignoring the simple truth that Jerusalem is home to Israel's legislature, its supreme court and the prime minister, and as such is the capital of Israel," one of the officials said, adding: "Delaying the recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has done nothing to achieve peace for more than two decades."

Trump will direct the State Department to devise plans to move the U.S. Embassy from Israel to Jerusalem, but that process, the officials said, could take several years. Although in theory the president could simply switch the sign at the existing U.S. consulate in Jerusalem to say "embassy," the administration says it wants to wait until an appropriate site is selected, proper security is in place and a host of other personnel issues are addressed.
   180. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:58 PM (#5586980)
This was once the liberal position. You can say stuff; I can say stuff. Tolerance. A lot of blood has been spilled just since the 20th century to hobble censorship. And that means censorship across the board. We don't have to go for our guns or start knotting the rope. This is witch hunt mentality, lynch party a go-go celebrations. And I bet liberals, or, rather, antifa/New Left liberalism, would react differently if the matter were in the nature of McCarthy/HUAC type scenarios. Hey, those Hollywood guys deserved to go to jail, legally speaking.

What "censorship" are you talking about? Is the FBI raiding the offices of someone tonight (that's not a FOP at least!) making rape jokes on twitter (or for that matter posting political propaganda)?

If it's corporate censorship -- ok, but that's a dramatically different discussion and arguably with no clear answer for any position, liberal, conservative or points in between.

Honestly I think you're just afraid that Women are grabbing some power by the balls for a minute. Christ, let'em. I'm still happy being a dude. Hell, look at how much we've gotten away with!
   181. Count Posted: December 05, 2017 at 10:59 PM (#5586981)
Re 171 - recognizing Jerusalem as the capital is obviously the wrong decision and will inflame tensions. It's hard to talk about Israel because the political leadership there is so depressing (Netanyahu is terrible) and so clearly dedicated to destroying the two state solution.
   182. Count Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:00 PM (#5586983)
The Seder joke was funny and pointed *and* politically correct! Ridiculous to fire him over it. Even if it was a bad joke, it would be ridiculous to fire someone for a bad joke from 2009.
   183. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:04 PM (#5586985)
Josh Blackman:
.@CFPBDirector reverses policies at @CFPB, #Resistance forms “Dumbledore’s Army," uses text messages and encrypted apps to secretly communicate about government business
"Anti-fascists" are fascists. Film at 11...
   184. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:05 PM (#5586986)
Re 171 - recognizing Jerusalem as the capital is obviously the wrong decision and will inflame tensions. It's hard to talk about Israel because the political leadership there is so depressing (Netanyahu is terrible) and so clearly dedicated to destroying the two state solution.
Let the Jerusalem Embassy Act, signed into law by Clinton more than 22 years ago, be your friend.

Netanyahu is terrible? Hmmm, isn't he the longest-serving Israel leader ever? Isn't he the one who's led Israel out of international isolation and presided over a booming economy?

And which side is the one glorifying "three days of rage" starting tomorrow and pushing its children to put themselves in harm's way?
   185. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:08 PM (#5586988)
President Donald Trump will announce Wednesday that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and will eventually relocate its embassy there - a declaration that could spur violent protests in the Middle East and undermine the White House's effort to strike a peace deal between Israel and the Palestinians.
The U.S. is always "eventually" relocating its embassy there. But he'll sign the waiver yet again, just like every other president every other time. The only actual change now is recognizing reality as to the location of Israel's government.
   186. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:10 PM (#5586989)
Re 171 - recognizing Jerusalem as the capital is obviously the wrong decision
The word 'obviously' doesn't mean what you think it means.

And it's hard to see how recognizing Jerusalem as the capital -- I mean, Jerusalem is the capital, whether we "recognize" it or not -- could do anything other than show support for the two-state solution. After all, people talk about returning to the 1967 borders as the two-state solution, but Jerusalem was Israel's capital then, too. To pretend that Tel Aviv is Israel's capital is to deny Israel's existence.
   187. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:11 PM (#5586990)
The U.S. is always "eventually" relocating its embassy there. But he'll sign the waiver yet again, just like every other president every other time.
Understood, but he's still going further than any other POTUS since the Jerusalem Embassy Act became law. Heck, the hysterical reactions are clear evidence that tomorrow will be different.
   188. Lassus Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:11 PM (#5586991)
"Anti-fascists" are fascists. Film at 11...

This
forms “Dumbledore’s Army," uses text messages and encrypted apps to secretly communicate about government business
is fascist?
   189. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:13 PM (#5586992)
is fascist?
Can't these ####### download another book?
   190. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:16 PM (#5586994)
A) fried chicken? I'm sure no harm was meant but it's a little striking (particularly on an overwhelmingly white forum);

See Piggie Park & Pickrick Restaurant cases. Feel free to substitute BBQ if you're triggered by mention of fried chicken.
   191. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:18 PM (#5586996)
The U.S. is always "eventually" relocating its embassy there. But he'll sign the waiver yet again, just like every other president every other time. The only actual change now is recognizing reality as to the location of Israel's government.

So, does Trump get credit for anything here, in your estimation? Or are you still unwilling to grant him even the slightest merit.
   192. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:21 PM (#5586998)
This is fascist?

Secret communications, ignoring the established chain of command, and violating numerous laws as to government records. No problem?
   193. Count Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:21 PM (#5586999)
Netanyahu is terrible? Hmmm, isn't he the longest-serving Israel leader ever? Isn't he the one who's led Israel out of international isolation and presided over a booming economy?

And which side is the one glorifying "three days of rage" starting tomorrow and pushing its children to put themselves in harm's way?

Yes, he's the longest-serving PM ever, which is deeply depressing because he is terrible. What do you mean by "led Israel out of international isolation"? There's BDS, increasing pressure and he's alienated American jews. He has no interest in a two state solution and it will be near impossible as long as he's there (and he's making it harder every year).

Palestinian leadership is bad. News at 11. Doesn't make the situation in Israel less depressing for those of us who want a free, democratic Jewish state.
   194. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:22 PM (#5587000)
Of course, Dancing Monkey Who Does Not In Any Way Shape Or Form Support Trump. He'll get credit for escalating tensions and getting people killed.

You shill.
   195. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:24 PM (#5587002)
This
forms “Dumbledore’s Army," uses text messages and encrypted apps to secretly communicate about government business
is fascist?
I don't know that "fascist" is quite the right word, but I'd say that government employees plotting against their appointed leadership and hiding their activities from their bosses with secret communications is... undesirable.
   196. Lassus Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:29 PM (#5587003)
Well, sure, I wouldn't disagree; but that ain't what he said.
   197. Jay Z Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:31 PM (#5587004)
Shock. Lefty wants to raise taxes, impose them on even more people.

I would think a libertarian would be against a tax code loaded with exemptions. Seems like more government to me. If you must tax, tax at a flat rate at least?
   198. greenback wears sandals on his head Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:34 PM (#5587005)
People not named Trump like to preserve their credibility.

Obvious response: Sekulow is Donald Trump's lawyer, so his credibility is non-existent. And a misleading, if technically true, statement about his client isn't really going to build that credibility.

Man, Sekulow's wikipedia page makes him sound like a real work of art:

In November 2005, Legal Times published an article which alleged that Sekulow "through the ACLJ and a string of interconnected nonprofit and for-profit entities, has built a financial empire that generates millions of dollars a year and supports a lavish lifestyle—complete with multiple homes, chauffeur-driven cars, and a private jet that he once used to ferry Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia." In the article, former donors and supporters claimed that Sekulow engaged in a pattern of self-dealing to finance his "high-flying lifestyle." According to a ranking by the American Institute of Philanthropy, a charity watchdog group, Sekulow was the 13th highest paid executive of a charitable organization in the United States.[14]

On June 27, 2017, The Washington Post reported that "Jay Sekulow's family has been paid millions from charities they control".[15]

On June 27 and 28, 2017, The Guardian reported, that documents obtained by them confirmed later that "millions in donations" were steered to his family members,[16] that Sekulow "approved plans to push poor and jobless people to donate money to his Christian nonprofit, which since 2000 has steered more than $60m to Sekulow, his family and their businesses",[16] and that attorneys general in New York and North Carolina opened investigations of Jay Sekulow’s group Christian Advocates Serving Evangelism (CASE) for possibly using pressure tactics in telemarketer calls to raise money which was allegedly misdirected to Sekulow and his family.[17]

Go get him, Lois Lerner.
   199. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:37 PM (#5587006)
There's BDS, increasing pressure and he's alienated American jews.
Anti-Semites push BDS.

No clue what "increased pressure" means. Israel has never had more international recognition than it does now.

Bibi's not completely blameless on your last point but some left-wing Jews here have affirmatively prioritized bullshit like intersectionality (thereby teaming up with some pretty noxious creatures) and infatuation with Obama and his comically disastrous nuke deal with the Iranian regime. (Shrug.)

And yes, Israel remains a free, democratic state.
   200. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 05, 2017 at 11:46 PM (#5587009)

Anti-Semites push BDS.
Which is largely a failure off college campuses, anyway.
Page 2 of 18 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend
for his generous support.