Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 10, 2017

OTP 10 July 2017: Jim Bunning’s Brethren: Baseball Men Who Went Into Politics

But if Bartolo is anything like Jim Bunning, he could go into politics, following the example of the tall right-hander who passed away on May 26 after 224 wins, 3,760.1 innings, and 23 years in the House and Senate as a representative and later senator from Kentucky.

John Tures, a political scientist at LaGrange College, compiled a list of players who went into politics. As with baseball itself, many have tried, but few succeeded, and certainly none so spectacularly as Bunning, whom the Veterans Committee inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1996. (That happened while he was a member of the House of Representatives. Two years later, he ran for the Senate and won. His newfound Hall of Fame status surely cannot have hurt his chances.)

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 10, 2017 at 07:50 AM | 1411 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: hall of fame, jim bunning, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 15 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15
   1401. McCoy Posted: July 17, 2017 at 06:38 AM (#5494522)
Flip
   1402. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 17, 2017 at 07:56 AM (#5494524)
FWIW I submitted a new thread for this week. Keep your eyes open.
   1403. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 17, 2017 at 08:38 AM (#5494526)
Or again, is it that you don't think that the description of "enemy foreign power" applies to Russia?

The applicable statute covers all foreign nationals, without any distinction as to whether the foreign national owes allegiance to friend or foe, which, of course, is another reason that it would be absurd to strain to interpret the statute to cover mere receipt - or even "attempted receipt" - of negative information on a political opponent. Apparently Andy agrees with this assessment, so he wants to raise other points, but that wasn't what I was responding to.

You're not Trump's lawyer any more than Ray is. You're just a private citizen posting comments on a baseball site. You're allowed to express non-legal opinions.

Andy simply wants to know whether you considered that meeting between Trump campaign officials and the Russians morally appropriate. Just answer the question.
   1404. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 17, 2017 at 08:51 AM (#5494528)
RIP to the Connie Marrero of the broadcasting side of the business. I submitted the obit separately but I wanted to put it in a prominent place in the interim:

Bob Wolff, Sports Broadcaster for Nearly 80 Years, Dies at 96
Bob Wolff, who called Don Larsen’s perfect game for the Yankees in the 1956 World Series, the Giants’ overtime loss in the epic 1958 National Football League championship game and the Knicks’ two title runs in a record-setting eight decades as a sports broadcaster, died on Saturday in South Nyack, N.Y. He was 96.

His death was confirmed by his son Rick.

“If you added all the time up, I’ve spent about seven days of my life standing for the national anthem,” Mr. Wolff once said.

Mr. Wolff was behind the microphone from the radio age to the rise of cable television. He was cited by Guinness World Records in 2012 as having the longest career of any sports broadcaster....

I remember getting Wolff's autograph when I must have been about 9 years old, and he was one of the nicest "celebrities" you'd ever want to meet. His memoir** even included a chapter about a friend of mine's rather bizarre stunt of throwing a dead fish at Ted Williams' feet while he was standing in the batters' box. How he managed to do that undetected still remains a mystery to me.

“It’s Not Who Won or Lost the Game — It’s How You Sold the Beer” $2.44 on Amazon
   1405. Morty Causa Posted: July 17, 2017 at 08:54 AM (#5494529)
If people will stop claiming that mere receipt of negative information about a political opponent from a foreign national is a criminal act, I will stop pointing out that is almost certainly incorrect, and that it takes an extremely strained interpretation of the applicable statutes to reach such a result.

Who's claiming that?

BUT, if there is indication of foreign national involvement, and of enemy foreign national involvement, would that justify investigation of that and ancillary matters?

1406. Rickey! the first of his name Posted: July 17, 2017 at 09:21 AM (#5494533)
Who's claiming that?

The voices in his head. It's huckster spin job bullshit 101. When the world continually presents you the indefensible from "your team," make up #### that you can "defend" and pretend that's what people are talking about instead.
   1407. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 17, 2017 at 11:07 AM (#5494554)
As the old joke goes, Kelo walks into a nunnery and sits between the no-wedding-cakes-for-gays baker and the DAPL protesters:

Not sure how that one should be decided on the merits, though my sympathies are definitely with the nuns.
   1408. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM (#5494560)
   1409. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 17, 2017 at 11:29 AM (#5494565)
"After IdiotSon learned he'd have to put some effort into it, he decided it wasn't worth it."

If he's such an idiot why is he rich and you're a peasant?

3rd generation DNA lottery winner.
   1410. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2017 at 11:34 AM (#5494567)
New thread, people.
   1411. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 17, 2017 at 01:29 PM (#5494678)
New thread, people.
Don't see any link, so it can't exist.
Page 15 of 15 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.