Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 11, 2017

OTP 11 December, 2017 - GOP strategist: Moore would have ‘date with a baseball bat’ if he tried dating teens where I grew up

“I grew up in Mississippi. Every father I knew, if he saw a guy like Roy Moore in his 30s trying to date his 16-year-old daughter, he would have had a date with a baseball bat,” Stevens, a former aide to Mitt Romney’s campaign, said on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360.”

Stevens, who worked on former Alabama Gov. Bob Riley’s (R) primary campaign against Moore in 2006, said Moore has violated the “decency standard” of civil society in his previous alleged pursuit of teenage girls.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 11, 2017 at 08:53 AM | 2653 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bats, bats are afraid, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 15 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›
   1401. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:06 PM (#5592184)
So were Flynn and Manafort Democratic plants or did the Trump team have the bad luck to be framed for colluding with Russia while colluding with Russia?

Manafort's legal difficulties stem from his activities before his campaign role, and Flynn is accused of lying about legal actions. Neither amounts to collusion. And neither involves other administration officials at this point.
   1402. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:10 PM (#5592186)
Manafort's legal difficulties stem from his activities before his campaign role

Yes, it's a really shitty system where Presidential candidates are forced to pick names out of a hat to be campaign managers. Somebody should change that.

and Flynn is accused of lying about legal actions

That just -- coincidentally -- happen to relate to Russia

Neither amounts to collusion.

I love it!

And neither involves other administration officials at this point.

The statute of limitations is 6 months!
   1403. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:12 PM (#5592187)
Where does George Soros fit into all of this? Asking for a sock puppet account on Stormfront friend.
   1404. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:15 PM (#5592188)
If the Deep State is listening I have a list of targets for you.
   1405. JJ1986 Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:16 PM (#5592190)
So, bad luck? It's really bad luck for Trump that his son and son-in-law also tried to collude with Russia.
   1406. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:20 PM (#5592194)
It's really bad luck for Trump that his son and son-in-law also tried to collude with Russia.

Listening to someone who claims to have the goods on your political opponent has never been a crime. Trying to sell that is a non-starter, so you better hope for something stronger.
   1407. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:21 PM (#5592195)
1405....Oh boy. You're really requesting a Monkey Dance with that post.

Edit..and you got one! It's like fish in a barrel.
   1408. Omineca Greg Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:24 PM (#5592198)
Frankly - setting aside that it's bad for the country that even the best possible case which we already know beyond any shadow of a doubt; that Team Trump was a candy store for Russian intel to insert moles and proles,

Sez you! I have this article that says that isn't so...

National Review: «русское дело» Трампа слабо на доказательства

Вполне возможно, что американские спецслужбы сделали своё заключение о «шпионской деятельности русских» с высокой степенью уверенности — но это не означает, что получится доказать всё в ходе судебного процесса, предупреждает National Review. Информация, на которой основаны эти заключения, часто носит фрагментарный характер и крайне чувствительна. И даже если спецпрокурор Роберт Мюллер действительно возбудит дело о «шпионском заговоре», то доказать «вину русских» и убедить в этом всех присяжных будет крайне сложно, говорится в статье.

National Review: Trump's "Russian Affair" is weak on evidence

It is possible that the US intelligence services have made their conclusion about the "espionage activities of Russians" with a high degree of confidence - but that does not mean that it will prove everything in the course of the trial, warns the National Review. The information on which these conclusions are based is often fragmentary and extremely sensitive. And even if the special prosecutor Robert Müller does raise a case for an "espionage conspiracy," it will be extremely difficult to prove the "guilt of the Russians" and convince all juries of this, the article says.

More at ссылка

Other news that doesn't get enough coverage here:

Americans Sink Argentine Submarine (why'd you do that America?)
Five Regions Of Ukraine ready to join Russia (big news that you think would get some press)

and my favourite...

San Francisco animal shelter hires robot to keep homeless people away. You suck SFSPCA!
   1409. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:28 PM (#5592199)
More at ссылка

Heh - you know, I've always thought it was a very fortunate development for Trump that the "RT" vernacular has fallen out of favor on twitter... can you imagine?

...and as for Argentina and its sissy, weak submarines -- we're just finishing the job that girly girl Thatcher lacked the stones to finish.
   1410. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:29 PM (#5592201)
Also.... does this mean RT RT NR?

I think RTRTNR is also the star droid in the new Star Wars movie.
   1411. PreservedFish Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:31 PM (#5592202)
   1412. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 13, 2017 at 08:45 PM (#5592208)
How are people supposed to cover Trump?

I guess like the crowd that watched the Emperor strut through the town in his beautiful new clothes.

Too bad for the Dancing Monkeys that there's always one child who can't keep his mouth shut.
   1413. zenbitz Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:04 PM (#5592218)

You dress like a stripper, people gonna treat you like a stripper

This is exactly my point. The crime isn't assuming that someone dressed like a stripper IS one, the crime is treating strippers BADLY.
   1414. Lassus Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:06 PM (#5592219)
You dress like a stripper, people gonna treat you like a stripper

Actually order of events and thoughts:

"Jesus Christ, WTF asshole said this?"

-checks-

Of course.
   1415. PreservedFish Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:06 PM (#5592220)

San Francisco animal shelter hires robot to keep homeless people away.

I'm intrigued. What does it do, just pester them?
   1416. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:07 PM (#5592221)
Alabama is similar culturally to Mississippi. However, Mississippi has significantly more African Americans proportionally: 37% vs. 27%. If you took the Jones-Moore result and reweighted the results to Mississippi's demographics, Jones wins by about 8-9 percentage points instead of 1.5. While it's pretty clear that the child molestation proved decisive in Alabama, Doug Jones might have been able to beat Roy Moore in Mississippi even without WaPo's journalism. Anyway, the point is that the Democrats need to find somebody good to run in Mississippi. Taking out Wicker might be a long shot, but who knows if Bannon conjures up some neo-confederate theocrat to take him out in the primary. Or some scandal could break. Nobody thought Alabama was in play three months ago
   1417. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:10 PM (#5592224)

Actually, it's a translation problem by RT...

It's actually a homeless robots shelter staffed by animals.

1418. Count Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:21 PM (#5592230)

Listening to someone who claims to have the goods on your political opponent has never been a crime. Trying to sell that is a non-starter, so you better hope for something stronger.

This isn't responsive to the "unlucky" point. Even if that was all it amounted to (disregarding the repeated lying after the fact), still remarkably unlucky that this phony dossier was compiled and phony FBI investigation started and it turned out that the Trump family and closest advisors (at least!) took this meeting, and that the incoming NSA advisor told the Russian government not to worry about sanctions.
   1419. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:22 PM (#5592231)
Alabama is similar culturally to Mississippi. However, Mississippi has significantly more African Americans proportionally: 37% vs. 27%. If you took the Jones-Moore result and reweighted the results to Mississippi's demographics, Jones wins by about 8-9 percentage points instead of 1.5. While it's pretty clear that the child molestation proved decisive in Alabama, Doug Jones might have been able to beat Roy Moore in Mississippi even without WaPo's journalism. Anyway, the point is that the Democrats need to find somebody good to run in Mississippi. Taking out Wicker might be a long shot, but who knows if Bannon conjures up some neo-confederate theocrat to take him out in the primary. Or some scandal could break. Nobody thought Alabama was in play three months ago

Chris McDaniel called and wants you to know that he's on it.

On the D side -- I know the Dems are pushing hard to get Ray Mabus to jump in.... Mabus was MS governor about 30 years ago - but he was elected at something like 35, so he's not THAT old. He was also Obama's Secretary of the Navy for both terms - but even on top of the Obama connection, his gubernatorial election was actually fashioned on exactly the coalition that Jones rode to victory next door (i.e., heavy African-American vote, younger and educated urban/suburban voters).

1420. Count Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:29 PM (#5592235)
The same DoJ/FBI participants seem to be involved in Hillary's e-mail investigation, the Trump team wiretaps, and Mueller's inquiry, all while proclaiming their strong dislike of Trump and the need for an insurance policy in case he was elected. Seems reasonable to find out to whether that Democratic-funded opposition research phony dossier was used to justify the warrants generated by Strzok-Page, and whether that was part of an "insurance policy" effort that included the Bureau's Deputy Director, whose wife just happened to be a Democratic politician funded extremely generously by Hillary's political allies.

Isn't this all about two people (or one - I don't know what Page's role but maybe that's been reported somewhere)? And what warrants or wiretaps are you referring to?

As far as I can tell the only curious thing about any of this is the "insurance policy" texts, for which we don't have any wider context. That should be investigated, and presumably is being investigated. Normally the DOJ doesn't release stuff like that during a pending investigation, but they leaked (not illegally, mind) the texts en masse before the Rosenstein hearing, to give the ####### Republican congressman who want to sink the Russian investigation something jucier to yell about than just nonsense about "bias."
   1421. Omineca Greg Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:30 PM (#5592236)
You can watch this promotional video from the company's website. The video is kind of neat, but a little empty too; the robot takes in a lot of data, but there's nothing to stop people from covering it with barbecue sauce, a tarp, or feces (presumably not all at the same time), all of which happened to the robot in San Francisco.

It's a Strange New World we live in.
   1422. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:33 PM (#5592238)
but there's nothing to stop people from covering it with barbecue sauce, a tarp, or feces

So you're saying that it's like working in the Trump administration?
   1423. Omineca Greg Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:35 PM (#5592241)
So you're saying that it's like working in the Trump administration?

No, I think the robot has better job security.
   1424. PreservedFish Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:36 PM (#5592242)
OG, thanks for the video. I laughed out loud when the dude's statement that "robot's ability to retain that data for an infinite amount of time" was footnoted with "standard 2 weeks storage."
   1425. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:37 PM (#5592244)
OG, thanks for the video. I laughed out loud when the dude's statement that "robot's ability to retain that data for an infinite amount of time" was footnoted with "standard 2 weeks storage."

Ahhh... so it's like an iphone... unless you don't pay Apple monthly for the cloud.
   1426. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:40 PM (#5592245)

Expand the party to allow/support more pro-life Blue Dogs and the Democrats would increase their map even more.

At the end of the day, it's better to get a guy who votes with you 60% of the time rather than a guy who votes against you 90% of the time. It's going to be difficult to maintain a majority in the Senate (or even the House) if Democrats continue to be inhospitable to the views held by economic centrists and even liberals in rural America.

For the love of god, the Democrat elites have too many g--damn litmus test issues. Compromise a little on abortion and gun rights in parts of the country that might be receptive to an economic message and focus on issues of national consequence. Hell, I'm an agnostic but I'm willing to tolerate Christians and all their ridiculous teachings and would even support someone on "the wrong side" on something like school prayer if it would get single payer passed.

As the DNC rebuilds itself, it needs to put more control in the hands of the county and state parties. Bring in resources to help turnout the vote, but stop trying to put thumbs on the scales of the primaries. Trust me, those of us who are part of the local leadership have a better sense on what set of issues are palatable and which are not.
   1427. Count Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:43 PM (#5592247)
1426 - they do compromise on gun rights. Abortion seems to be the big litmus test.
   1428. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:51 PM (#5592248)
The latest sexual misconduct casualty: Tavis Smiley.
   1429. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 09:58 PM (#5592250)
At the end of the day, it's better to get a guy who votes with you 60% of the time rather than a guy who votes against you 90% of the time. It's going to be difficult to maintain a majority in the Senate (or even the House) if Democrats continue to be inhospitable to the views held by economic centrists and even liberals in rural America.

For the love of god, the Democrat elites have too many g--damn litmus test issues. Compromise a little on abortion and gun rights in parts of the country that might be receptive to an economic message and focus on issues of national consequence. Hell, I'm an agnostic but I'm willing to tolerate Christians and all their ridiculous teachings and would even support someone on "the wrong side" on something like school prayer if it would get single payer passed.

As the DNC rebuilds itself, it needs to put more control in the hands of the county and state parties. Bring in resources to help turnout the vote, but stop trying to put thumbs on the scales of the primaries. Trust me, those of us who are part of the local leadership have a better sense on what set of issues are palatable and which are not.

I think this really understates the power and influence that 'left' - or let's just say 'blogs' (Dailykos, whatever) have though.

I really cannot think of a situation where the the "left" forced a liberal candidate on anyone.

I mean, I'm sure some of the usual suspects would point to Lieberman and Ned Lamont... but come on - it was Connecticut and at the time Lamont beat Lieberman in the primary - Lieberman was one of the strongest proponents of the Iraq war... a war that not just the left - but large majorities of Democrats staunchly opposed and in an election year where Iraq was the big issue in a Democratic wave. I really, really struggle to count that.

Other than weepy Joe - I have a hard time thinking of ANY real Democrat that got primaried away. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but when I think of Democrat in the last decade or so primaried out, the only other name that I can think of would be Cynthia McKinney getting knocked off.

The DNC and Dems have cleared the decks and helped people like Donnelly and Manchin.

Or hey - just going back to 2016... Evan Bayh is no lefty's dream candidate - and the Dems dutifully cleared the boards for him (wherein he then got stomped).

The only real race where I can of the progessives trying to seize a primary was for Mikulski's open seat -- where the left was strong for Donna Edwards... who lost to Chris Van Hollen (who then won the election with ease).

To run for President?

Sure. You've gotta hit certain checkboxes. But anywhere else? The only time you see a candidate too left for the state or district are times when nobody else will run... in which case - I say - sure, why not. Might as well try to do a little longer term evangelizing.
   1430. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:01 PM (#5592251)
I totally agree. I get why some progressives get annoyed by Joe Manchin and Joe Donnely (though oddly, nobody ever seems to get upset by Bob Casey), but those guys have been critical in preserving the ACA and potentially knocking out the tax heist. And electing people like Phil Bredesen in Tennessee or Jenny Wilson in Utah are far preferable to the alternatives
   1431. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:06 PM (#5592253)
1426 - they do compromise on gun rights. Abortion seems to be the big litmus test.

Again, though -- where?

For President? Sure.

Donnelly, Manchin, Casey.... There aren't a whole lot more pro-life Dems in the House -- but when you're in the minority and representing almost entirely urban and suburban districts, where frankly - being anti-choice is a hindrance - what do people expect?

Where are these anti-choice Democrats being primaried out or not getting support?
   1432. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:08 PM (#5592256)
[1429] Well, there was Doug Jones in Alabama. Yeah, he'd do photo shoots with a gun, but his positions were pretty much a straight party line democrat, even in a state where being pro-choice was toxic. Then again, I don't know of any blue dog who was going to run (he did beat a guy named Robert Kennedy Jr. in the primary, who judging by the name seemed like a guy trying to win by having voters see his name and think he was somebody else)
   1433. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:10 PM (#5592258)
I totally agree. I get why some progressives get annoyed by Joe Manchin and Joe Donnely (though oddly, nobody ever seems to get upset by Bob Casey), but those guys have been critical in preserving the ACA and potentially knocking out the tax heist. And electing people like Phil Bredesen in Tennessee or Jenny Wilson in Utah are far preferable to the alternatives

Bredesen is another good example -- the Dems pushed hard to get him to jump in for Corker's seat and he's never gonna win any lefty popularity contests.
   1434. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:25 PM (#5592261)

So many of these guys have held themselves up as moral beacons -- on the left and the right. Franken, O'Reilly, Smiley, Russell Simmons.........
   1435. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:28 PM (#5592263)
Senate Democrats voted overwhelmingly tonight to filibuster the first Asian-American nominee for the 5th Circuit. All but 3 who voted. Luckily, they are in the minority, cloture invoked 53-44.
   1436. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM (#5592264)

Expand the party to allow/support more pro-life Blue Dogs and the Democrats would increase their map even more.

Lots of wisdom there, and hopefully the success of Jones will provide positive reinforcement for it.
   1437. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:32 PM (#5592265)
Well, Kentucky state rep Dan Johnson (not the guy who hit the HR for the Rays) certainly sure came up with a new way of dealing with allegations of sexual misconduct. The dude killed himself.
   1438. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:34 PM (#5592266)
It's been a while since the last version of the famous HWA tweetcap, but since Juan and Da Clap Man continue to spew garbage into your monitor, let's go to the tape:

@goldengateblond:
To recap, Mueller fired an agent for texting about Trump but Trump wouldn't fire his national security adviser for being compromised by Russia.

@joycewhitevance:
To extend the analogy, Republicans on the Hill want Mueller fired because of the agent he removed but are pretty much giving the President a pass for keeping a compromised national security advisor in place. Every time they say Mueller's investigation is political, remember that.

@billkristol
The call for a second special counsel is silly and a distraction. The point of the coordinated remarks by House Republicans at today’s Rosenstein hearing is to lay the groundwork to justify Trump’s firing of Mueller.

@drdavidhabbel:
But they undermined themselves when Rosenstein said in public, on the record, that Mueller is doing his job just fine & within the parameters of his charge; he sees no problems. That means there’s no VALID reason to stop Mueller, to do so would be blatant obstruction.

@delavegalaw:
GOP's attacks on Rosenstein today backfired in a big way. While Republican reps fully displayed their desperation & fear, Trump appointee Rosenstein calmly made it clear he was fully aware of, and approved, all of lifelong Republican Mueller's investigative steps.
   1439. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:37 PM (#5592269)
Any of the resident Deplorables here want to sign on to Bill Mitchell's 'hearing rumors'?
I am hearing rumors that black voters from MS were encouraged to cross over into AL and vote. Anyone else hearing this? Anything to it? That might explain the 30% turnout higher than population percentage. Just reporting the rumor.
   1440. Morty Causa Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:40 PM (#5592271)
We know that African-Americans went to polls in Alabama and voted for Jones in great numbers. Not only was the percentage very high, but the turnout was unusually great. But what did the whites do? Did they vote more heavily for Jones than they had for the Democratic presidential candidate in 2016? Anyone have data on that?

EDITed

Or, if you prefer, did the Republican Moore get fewer white votes than Trump did?
   1441. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:40 PM (#5592272)
I've changed my tune on Strzok, whereas initially I saw this as a nothingburger. This is a serious problem for the impartiality of the investigation into Hillary's server and w/r/t the Russia "collusion" inquiry.

By his texts Strzok cleary wanted Hillary to win and wanted Trump (and Sanders) to lose. And Strzok was in a position where he could put his thumb on the scales.

Not a good look.
   1442. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM (#5592273)
Senate Democrats voted overwhelmingly tonight to filibuster the first Asian-American nominee for the 5th Circuit. All but 3 who voted.

Gosh, what a shock that they wouldn't be enthusiastic about confirming one of Clarence Thomas's former clerks, who at one point in the 90's was calling for the defunding the entire Civil Rights division of the DOJ----and who also called for rejecting all future nominees to the Civil Rights division if one of President Clinton's nominees were to be confirmed as the division's head, a nominee who himself was an Asian American.

But I'm sure that the real reason for those votes against James Ho was because the Democrats all hate Asian Americans. Just ask Clapper.
   1443. PreservedFish Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM (#5592274)
Senate Democrats voted overwhelmingly tonight to filibuster the first Asian-American nominee for the 5th Circuit

Identity politics from Yankee Clapper. Sad.
   1444. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM (#5592275)
Any of the resident Deplorables here want to sign on to Bill Mitchell's 'hearing rumors'?

I am hearing rumors that black voters from MS were encouraged to cross over into AL and vote. Anyone else hearing this? Anything to it? That might explain the 30% turnout higher than population percentage. Just reporting the rumor.

I hear Bernie Bernstein is going to have a big story on it tomorrow.

Clapper's forensics team is on the case.

1445. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:46 PM (#5592276)
It's been a while since the last version of the famous HWA tweetcap, but since Juan and Da Clap Man continue to spew garbage into your monitor, let's go to the tape:

@goldengateblond:
To recap, Mueller fired an agent for texting about Trump but Trump wouldn't fire his national security adviser for being compromised by Russia.

@joycewhitevance:
To extend the analogy, Republicans on the Hill want Mueller fired because of the agent he removed but are pretty much giving the President a pass for keeping a compromised national security advisor in place. Every time they say Mueller's investigation is political, remember that.

This literally has nothing to do with the Strzok problem. It's whataboutism in its purest form.

1446. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:48 PM (#5592279)
Identity politics from Yankee Clapper. Sad.

Ho is a puppet with Trump's tiny hands up his ass?

1447. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:50 PM (#5592280)

So many of these guys have held themselves up as moral beacons -- on the left and the right. Franken, O'Reilly, Smiley, Russell Simmons.........

Not to mention a serial misconductor whose list of accusers is now third only to Cosby and Weinstein----it's up to 17 and counting.

But he won the election, so who cares?
   1448. Morty Causa Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:51 PM (#5592281)

My advice is that men not go anywhere or do anything without a notary public handy.

What rock star would make (maybe still does) the groupies sign a release/statement before they had sex. No kidding. Was it Keith Richards?
   1449. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM (#5592282)
Not to mention a serial misconductor

At first I thought you were referring to that symphony conductor and that it was a clever play on words.
   1450. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM (#5592284)
Not to mention a serial misconductor

At first I thought you were referring to that symphony conductor and that it was a clever play on words.

Yeah, it would've been, but in this case you beat me to it.
   1451. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: December 13, 2017 at 11:17 PM (#5592287)
6-4-3, in order to be added to the Dancing Monkey roster you have to defend and/or support Trump. The more vigorous the effort the higher you would be ranked.

From what I've read, you don't seem to have what it takes to make the squad. Simply being somewhat right of center or willing to compromise on issues like abortion or gun control may (or may not) be commendable, but they dont help your chances here.

1452. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 13, 2017 at 11:20 PM (#5592289)
The FBI -- which is supposed to answer to Congress and not the other way around -- won't tell Congress whether it paid for the Trump dossier, or how much it relied on the dossier in order to obtain warrants.

This is going to get interesting.
   1453. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 11:21 PM (#5592290)
6-4-3, in order to be added to the Dancing Monkey roster you have to defend and/or support Trump. The more vigorous the effort the higher you would be ranked.

From what I've read, you don't seem to have what it takes to make the squad. Simply being somewhat right of center or willing to compromise on issues like abortion or gun control may (or may not) be commendable, but they dont help your chances here.

I think he's just part of the disgusting and UNFAIR #NeverZonk movement in the Dressage Donkey race.

1454. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 13, 2017 at 11:25 PM (#5592293)
Gosh, what a shock that they wouldn't be enthusiastic about confirming one of Clarence Thomas's former clerks . . .

It is laughable that Andy thinks clerking for a Supreme Court Justice is a mark against a judicial nominee. Those are among the most sought after positions in the legal profession. Frankly, that's a moron's argument - should GOP Senators vote against any nominees who clerked for any of the liberal justices? Only a lunatic should want to go down that road, but you can't expect GOP nominees to run a gauntlet while Democratic nominees get a walk in the park. There is simply no reasonable basis for attempting to demonize James Ho; he received the highest rating from the ABA - no friend of GOP judicial nominees - and the blog run by an ACLU fellow & American Constitution Society Board Member who is attempting to "vet" all of Trump's judicial nominees had this to say about Ho:
As a well-respected appellate attorney, James C. Ho is a safe choice for the federal bench. Furthermore, Ho, who has both a reputation as a solid conservative and impeccable academic credentials, would give the Trump Administration some badly needed diversity in their judicial ranks, as he would be the first Asian American on the Fifth Circuit, and only the third Taiwanese American federal judge.
. . .
Ho would bring a truly unusual background to the federal bench. He would be one of a handful of naturalized citizens serving on the federal judiciary, as well as one of the few with legislative and executive experience.

However, for all the unique qualities Ho would bring to the bench, he is nonetheless a fairly traditional nomination. As a former Supreme Court clerk with a long history of appellate advocacy, Ho’s qualifications for the bench are unquestionable. Further, while Ho is a strong conservative, his willingness to defend affirmative action and birthright citizenship for all shows the ability to reject conservative orthodoxy when it conflicts with the law.

Ultimately, many Democrats may decide that a principled conservative like Ho is the best they can hope for from the Trump Administration. As such, Ho shouldn’t face the level of confirmation opposition as his co-nominee Willett, and will likely be confirmed swiftly.

Looks like our liberal blogger gave far too much credit to Senate Democrats, who eagerly embrace Andy's neo-McCarthyite smear tactics. Of course, that fellow happens to be Asian, too, so the smear artists will probably discount his opinion.
   1455. Hot Wheeling American in his sleazy salon Posted: December 13, 2017 at 11:39 PM (#5592297)
Could it only have been this morning that The Yankee Clapper was bemoaning the lack of civility he says he sees from the other side here at the baseball think factory? Yet here he is, throwing around pejoratives like 'moron' and 'lunatic'. Tough sledding arguing with this fella. Heads he wins, tails you're a moron and/or lunatic. Of course, Andy may be both those things, but The Yankee Clapper's earlier episode on the fainting couch now makes me think he wasn't being sincere!
   1456. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 13, 2017 at 11:45 PM (#5592299)
The FBI -- which is supposed to answer to Congress and not the other way around -- won't tell Congress whether it paid for the Trump dossier, or how much it relied on the dossier in order to obtain warrants.

I don't know why I bother -- but this is not an accurate and/or honest representation of Rosenstein said. He was testifying before the Judiciary Committee - not the House Intelligence Committee and I believe that what Rosenstein alluded is that the answer was provided to the "appropriate" House Committee.... meaning - if it was, it would have been a part of an intelligence investigation, not a criminal investigation and thus - likely classified and not something he could even speak directly to in this particular forum.

That's if it was.... which, of course, is why hacks like Jordan would ask the question. Because cockholsters will slurp it up in... well... precisely the manner it has been slurped up and spit back out.

But again, I don't know why I bother.

Fire Rosenstein. I truly don't care.

EDIT: ANd that's if - of course - Rosenstein even knows the answer since, of course, Trumpkins are trying to pretend that last year is this year, December is May, etc, etc.
   1457. PreservedFish Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:02 AM (#5592302)
I'm gonna tell you the truth, I just spent about 10 minutes trying to work up some kind of a joke about YC using the "Tiny Bubbles" lyrics. Couldn't make it happen.
   1458. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:10 AM (#5592303)
Bah - can't edit 1456 - but finally worming through C-SPAN's awful transcriptions.... Rosenstein does say he knows - so scratch my edit - and then goes on to explain how FISA applications would be the purview of the House Intelligence Committee.

Jim Jordan is liar and an ####### -- and also one of the dumber members of congress -- but he's also been in Congress for 10 years, so doubtless - he knew all this anyway.

But - he gets to grandstand.... Powerline, Daily Caller, and Breitbart will gobble it up and pump it out -- usually with their blaring "FBI STONEWALLING CONGRESS!!! DEEP STATE!!!!".... and the usual suspects will rinse and repeat like would be completely expected.... and happened.
   1459. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:43 AM (#5592307)
Hot Wheel, #1455:
Could it only have been this morning that The Yankee Clapper was bemoaning the lack of civility he says he sees from the other side here at the baseball think factory? Yet here he is, throwing around pejoratives like 'moron' and 'lunatic'. Tough sledding arguing with this fella. Heads he wins, tails you're a moron and/or lunatic. Of course, Andy may be both those things, but The Yankee Clapper's earlier episode on the fainting couch now makes me think he wasn't being sincere!

I don't know about that, because Clapper's purpose is usually so opaque. But the "liberals oppress Asians!" gambit is an exciting new twist on the same old gruel.

Anyway, if not Democratic racism and treachery, what's a Clapper supposed to talk about today? Certainly not 28-term Republican Chuck Grassley telling Trump to shitcan two of the shining stars from the magnificent constellation of overqualified judicial nominees (after having voted to rubber stamp one of them).
   1460. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:46 AM (#5592310)
Well shoot, I'm definitely left of center and the farthest thing from a Trump supporter. But I'm sure that I'm a dancing monkey to someone else here.
   1461. Joe Bivens Recognizes the Kenyan Precedent Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:23 AM (#5592312)
Do I have to trademark the term? Because I will if I have to (and the law allows).
   1462. Srul Itza At Home Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:32 AM (#5592313)
That's just a little bit more
Than the law will allow
   1463. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:46 AM (#5592314)
And the award for least surprising development of OTP 2017 goes to!:
I've changed my tune on Strzok, whereas initially I saw this as a nothingburger. This is a serious problem for the impartiality of the investigation into Hillary's server and w/r/t the Russia "collusion" inquiry.

By his texts Strzok cleary wanted Hillary to win

CDS über alles.
   1464. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 14, 2017 at 02:15 AM (#5592316)
It has come to this - Purdue Prof: "Academic Rigor Reinforces White Male Heterosexual Privilege And Should Be Replaced With Alternaive Conceptualizations For Evaluating Knowledge":
Rigor is the aspirational quality academics apply to disciplinary standards of quality. Rigor's particular role in engineering created conditions for its transfer and adaptation in the recently emergent discipline of engineering education research. ‘Rigorous engineering education research’ and the related ‘evidence-based’ research and practice movement in STEM education have resulted in a proliferation of boundary drawing exercises that mimic those in engineering disciplines, shaping the development of new knowledge and ‘improved’ practice in engineering education. Rigor accomplishes dirty deeds, however, serving three primary ends across engineering, engineering education, and engineering education research: disciplining, demarcating boundaries, and demonstrating white male heterosexual privilege.

Understanding how rigor reproduces inequality, we cannot reinvent it but rather must relinquish it, looking to alternative conceptualizations for evaluating knowledge, welcoming diverse ways of knowing, doing, and being, and moving from compliance to engagement, from rigor to vigor.

Not The Onion.
   1465. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 06:24 AM (#5592320)
Clinton murder machine done got em another one in Kentucky.
   1466. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 07:08 AM (#5592322)
Senate Democrats voted overwhelmingly tonight to filibuster the first Asian-American nominee for the 5th Circuit. All but 3 who voted.
Gosh, what a shock that they wouldn't be enthusiastic about confirming one of Clarence Thomas's former clerks.....,who at one point in the 90's was calling for the defunding the entire Civil Rights division of the DOJ----and who also called for rejecting all future nominees to the Civil Rights division if one of President Clinton's nominees were to be confirmed as the division's head, a nominee who himself was an Asian American.

But I'm sure that the real reason for those votes against James Ho was because the Democrats all hate Asian Americans. Just ask Clapper.

It is laughable that Andy thinks clerking for a Supreme Court Justice is a mark against a judicial nominee.

It's not laughable, but rather typical, that you chose to respond only to the first part of the first sentence of what I wrote, and chose to ignore everything that followed, as if clerking for Clarence Thomas wasn't just a symptom of the problem that Democrats have with Ho.

Is it about ideology?

Yeah, it's about ideology. Just like it was when Ho spoke out against confirming another Asian American to a position that President Clinton had nominated him for. But I'm sure you would've supported that Asian American.

Ho's qualified to be a Circuit Court judge in the same sense that Jefferson Beauregard Sessions is qualified to be Attorney General. There's little common ground for discussion about nominees like these.

1467. Greg K Posted: December 14, 2017 at 07:10 AM (#5592323)
Journals frequently ask you to avoid using technical or discipline-specific jargon in your submissions. I never quite know what they mean, but maybe #1464 is a clue?

I have no idea what that excerpt is saying.
   1468. Stormy JE wanted to milk the soft power dividend Posted: December 14, 2017 at 07:40 AM (#5592326)
Looks like I missed this yesterday...

Fusion GPS admits DOJ official's wife Nellie Ohr hired to probe Trump

What are your thoughts now, spycake? You had seemed pretty unconcerned by her hiring.
   1469. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 08:00 AM (#5592327)
What are her qualifications Juan? I don’t see anything on that score in the Fox News link you so helpfully posted.
   1470. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 14, 2017 at 08:09 AM (#5592329)
The battle rages one!

“We are indeed in a struggle to preserve our republic, our civilization, and our religion, and to set free a suffering humanity. And the battle rages on,” Moore says in the video. “In this race, we have not received the final count to include military and provisional ballots. This has been a very close race – and we are awaiting certification by the secretary of state.”

“Immorality sweeps over our land. Even our political process has been affected with baseless and false allegations, which have become more relevant than the true issues which affect our country,” Moore says in the video. “This election was tainted by over $50 million from outside groups who want to retain power in their own corrupt ideology.”

Abortion, sodomy, and materialism....

1471. McCoy Posted: December 14, 2017 at 08:10 AM (#5592330)
Wow. Disney buys part of Fox for 52 billion dollars. Murdoch's empire is down to Fox, Fox News, and Fox Sports. Disney now owns The Simpsons.
   1472. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 08:21 AM (#5592332)
It is laughable that Andy thinks clerking for a Supreme Court Justice is a mark against a judicial nominee.

It's not laughable, but rather typical, that you chose to respond only to the first part of the first sentence of what I wrote, and chose to ignore everything that followed,
Ah, Andy's back to his shtick of pretending that everything he says is so important that it must be responded to. If you say one very stupid thing and four other things that are only mildly stupid¹, people are not required to pat you on the head for the fact that some of the things you said were only mildly stupid; we are free to only discuss the very stupid thing. Moreover...
as if clerking for Clarence Thomas wasn't just a symptom of the problem that Democrats have with Ho.
...no, it isn't. It's not a symptom of any problem at all.

Yeah, it's about ideology. Just like it was when Ho spoke out against confirming another Asian American to a position that President Clinton had nominated him for.
You are, as always, confused. He did not oppose the confirmation of Lee; he opposed the unlawful appointment of Lee as acting AAG after Lee's nomination was rejected by the senate.

There's little common ground for discussion about nominees like these.
Only because you have your own personal idiosyncratic definition of the word "qualified" that means "agrees with Andy" rather than "capable of doing the job."

¹I am not conceding that the rest of your post is only mildly stupid; I am simply speaking in general terms.
   1473. Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 08:21 AM (#5592333)
Wow. Disney buys part of Fox for 52 billion dollars

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

-faints-

X-men and Fantastic Four back to Marvel.

I will probably get to see a proper cinematic Galactus before I die.
   1474. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 08:59 AM (#5592342)
So, a bit of a roundup of the state of the electorate, and all this before the GOP passes (assuming they do) a historically unpopular tax bill and while the economy is still going strong.

Iowans Sour on Trump

A new Des Moines Register poll in Iowa finds that 60% of voters disapprove of the way President Trump is doing his job as president while just 35% approve.

Just Iowa though.

Trump Approval Hits New Low

A new Monmouth poll finds President Trump’s job approval at 32% to 56%, the lowest since he’s taken office.
Democrats lead the generic congressional ballot by 15 percentage points, 51% to 36%.

These things happen. But surely it can't get worse.

Support for Tax Plan Could Hurt Candidates

A new Quinnipiac poll finds American voters disapprove of the pending Republican tax plan by a wide margin, 55% to 26%, and 43% say they are less likely to vote for a U.S. Senator or Congressperson who supports the plan.

But what does it mean? Recent history provides no data.

Special Elections So Far Point To A Democratic Wave In 2018

The Democratic margin has been 12 percentage points better, on average, than the partisan lean in each race. Sometimes this has resulted in a seat flipping from Republican to Democratic (e.g. in the Alabama Senate face-off on Tuesday or Oklahoma’s 37th state Senate District contest last month). Sometimes it has meant the Democrat barely lost a race you wouldn’t think a Democrat would be competitive in (e.g. in South Carolina’s 5th Congressional District in June). Sometimes it’s merely been the case that the Democrat won a district by an even wider margin than you’d expect (e.g. in Pennsylvania’s 133 House District last week).

The point is that Democrats are doing better in all types of districts with all types of candidates. You don’t see this type of consistent outperformance unless there’s an overriding pro-Democratic national factor.

And to be clear, although there have been more special elections on the state level, the pro-Democratic environment is quite clear if you look only at federal special elections. There have been seven special U.S. House and U.S. Senate elections so far this year. The Democrats have outperformed the partisan lean in all of them.

It is OK though GOP. Everything is going great. Ignore anyone who suggests you guys might be overreaching just a bit. Don't do anything that might be popular or poll well. Nope. Stick to your guns. What could go wrong, because no matter what your masters will continue donating and giving you high paying jobs when you lose your seats. So no worries.
   1475. ^^^ Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:10 AM (#5592343)
What are your thoughts now, spycake? You had seemed pretty unconcerned by her hiring.

Tends to prove they had intent to eventually pass the dossier on to DOJ. Not a surprise, given that they did have such intent.
   1476. ^^^ Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:12 AM (#5592344)
Understanding how rigor reproduces inequality, we cannot reinvent it but rather must relinquish it, looking to alternative conceptualizations for evaluating knowledge

For "alternative conceptualizations for evaluating knowledge," he need look no farther than OTP.

Furtado could be sitting on a gold mine.
   1477. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:14 AM (#5592346)
Yeah, it's about ideology. Just like it was when Ho spoke out against confirming another Asian American to a position that President Clinton had nominated him for.

You are, as always, confused. He did not oppose the confirmation of Lee; he opposed the unlawful appointment of Lee as acting AAG after Lee's nomination was rejected by the senate.

Wait, so he spoke out in favor of Lee's appointment before the Judiciary Committee rejected him?

Ho's qualified to be a Circuit Court judge in the same sense that Jefferson Beauregard Sessions is qualified to be Attorney General. There's little common ground for discussion about nominees like these.

Only because you have your own personal idiosyncratic definition of the word "qualified" that means "agrees with Andy" rather than "capable of doing the job."

Oh, Jeff Sessions is wholly "capable of doing the job", all right, if "the job" in question is advancing the agenda of the radical right. By that standard, Trump himself has a certain amount of capability, though admittedly he's not quite as efficient as his Attorney General.

But if that's the standard that you want to adhere to, and if IYHO that's all it takes to make a nominee qualified to hold high office, then I'm sure that Sen. David Nieporent (I-NJ) would've voted to confirm Morris Dees as Attorney General and the late William Kunstler for the Supreme Court.

I repeat: It's about ideology. And you're positively cute when you try to pretend it's not.

1478. ^^^ Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:24 AM (#5592351)
I repeat: It's about ideology.

I repeat: You're a complete hack. The Fred Astaire of Dancing Donkeys.
   1479. Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:34 AM (#5592355)
The Fred Astaire of Dancing Donkeys.

Beats your Florence Foster Jenkins act.
   1480. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:37 AM (#5592356)
In #1474 I only used a single GOP President Trump approval poll, because it hit a new low, but I could have used the RCP aggregate which ... wait for it ... also hit a new low.

RCP Average - Approve: 37.0% Disapprove: 58.1% Net Approval: -21.1%

The alligator's mouth just keeps getting a bit wider. It is kind of amazing, though, that Trump has never managed to hit positive net approval at RCP, well except for January 27th, where he proudly sported a .1% net positive approval.
   1481. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:38 AM (#5592357)
[Abortion, sodomy, and materialism..../quote]

Undoubtedly the name of a Pogues bootleg from the late '80s.
   1482. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:39 AM (#5592358)
Beats your Florence Foster Jenkins act.

I am pretty sure you meant Baghdad Bob.
   1483. gef the talking mongoose, amorphous lefty blob Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:41 AM (#5592359)
I'm trying to decide whether to envision our Dancing Monkeys as simian versions of the dancers at the end of SNL's "Sprockets" or as practitioners of frenetic variations on the Charleston.
   1484. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:42 AM (#5592360)
It is OK though GOP. Everything is going great. Ignore anyone who suggests you guys might be overreaching just a bit. Don't do anything that might be popular or poll well. Nope. Stick to your guns. What could go wrong, because no matter what your masters will continue donating and giving you high paying jobs when you lose your seats. So no worries.

That's why they've renamed the tax atrocity the Trumpkin Congressional Severance and Donor Reconciliation Act!

I have a theory that even the badly underwater approve/disapprove understates how disliked this tax bill is. Mostly just to understand WTH JE is talking about, I like to keep current on what the Trumpkins are saying about things -- so see here or here. These are the Trumpkiniest of Conservativist of Republicanians.... people who watch Fox new to get some 'liberal perspective'.

And this bill is the big thing they're gonna get out of their Orange Man and his majority minions?

Add that to the secrecy and scribbling - around the holidays, when I suspect most people are not exactly paying close attention.... and my very strong suspicion is that the REAL number is even worse than the polling.

Just wait until the bubble bursts after SBB's holy markets complete all the stock buybacks!

1485. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:52 AM (#5592361)
I have a theory that even the badly underwater approve/disapprove understates how disliked this tax bill is.

It is going to be fabulous to campaign on. Before any attack ads pretty much everyone already thinks of it as a gift basket for the wealthy. It is exactly the sort of non-identity politics, culture free bread and butter issue that Democrats across the entire nation can relentlessly and endlessly hammer home.

The whole personal tax breaks are temporary part is the cherry on top. That part alone will launch a million attack ads. Eternal fealty to corporations, a temporary bone tossed to you.

EDIT: Heck even if the stock market does continue to do well, that almost helps the messaging. Corporations continue to hoover up all the money and make obscene profits.
   1486. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 09:54 AM (#5592362)
I'm trying to decide whether to envision our Dancing Monkeys as simian versions of the dancers at the end of SNL's "Sprockets" or as practitioners of frenetic variations on the Charleston.

You'd think our local Mongoose would be a bit more morphologically sensitive. For shame!
   1487. ^^^ Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:03 AM (#5592365)
I'm trying to decide whether to envision our Dancing Monkeys as simian versions of the dancers at the end of SNL's "Sprockets"

There's certainly no question that the TDS stories have become tiresome. Dieter would be bored to tears after like three more words.

TDSer: Did you hear the latest about Trump and Russian coll..

Dieter: Your story has become tiresome. Now is the time on Sprockets when we dahnse.

1488. BDC Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM (#5592366)
Rigor's particular role in engineering created conditions for its transfer and adaptation in the recently emergent discipline of engineering education research

That's a key sentence in this abstract. The paper isn't in engineering, it's in engineering education – and just about any academic paper with "education" appended should be read with extreme skepticism if not immediately round-filed.

That said, if I can translate the turgid prose with the greatest possible charity: it is conceivable that somebody studying engineering pedagogy faces an uphill fight if they want to do any kind of qualitative or narrative assessment. Heck, even in the humanities we have lots of people who will not believe statements about the classroom unless they come with databases and statistical analyses of outcome measures. (And conversely will believe any statements generated via databases and statistical analyses, even if they're crap.)

This begs the question of why you want to join the recently emergent discipline of engineering education research. I would sooner dive into the Baltic in midwinter chained to a cinderblock. I do think it's interesting to think about pedagogy. But institutional assessment of pedagogy is vastly, insanely useless.
   1489. ^^^ Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM (#5592368)
Heck, even in the humanities we have lots of people who will not believe statements about the classroom unless they come with databases and statistical analyses of outcome measures. (And conversely will believe any statements generated via databases and statistical analyses, even if they're crap.)

You mean like saber fanatics?
   1490. BDC Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM (#5592370)
non-identity politics, culture free bread and butter issue that Democrats across the entire nation can relentlessly and endlessly hammer home

I thought it somewhat bizarre that the House bill raised the bottom-bracket income-tax rate from 10 to 12%. With assurances that nobody in that bracket would see a tax increase, because the adjustment of the bracket itself plus an increased standard deduction would wipe out the tax-rate increase.

But if you don't intend to raise those people's taxes really, why are you raising them nominally? I don't know how the eventual bill will read, and I suspect they will arrive at something that keeps the bottom bracket at 10%. But Jeebus, talk about a bad look, House of Representatives. A Dem candidates just has to hold up a chart that shows the poorest people getting a tax hike, and the GOP candidate is immediately obliged to enter into a long-winded defense of the technicalities that nobody will hear out.
   1491. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM (#5592371)

It's not laughable, but rather typical, that you chose to respond only to the first part of the first sentence of what I wrote, and chose to ignore everything that followed, as if clerking for Clarence Thomas wasn't just a symptom of the problem that Democrats have with Ho.

Andy makes clerking for a Supreme Court Justice the lead item in his screed against James Ho, and then has the audacity to whine when others suggest that is an incredibly poor reason to oppose confirmation of a federal judicial nominee. Sad. Very Sad. I don't know where Andy got the rest of his talking points, I haven't seen them raised elsewhere, they didn't cut it with the ABA, the liberal blogger "vetting" Trump's judicial nominations found them unworthy of discussion, and Senate Democrats didn't bother with that nonsense at Ho's confirmation hearing according to the coverage I saw. Ho has a long record of accomplishment, the effort to gin up controversy by cherry-picking a few long ago incidents is weak sauce, and judging by David's #1472, either Andy or his "source" don't even have the basic facts right.

At least Andy admits "it's about ideology". He wants a process that allows Democrats to appoint liberal judges but prevents Republicans from naming conservative judges. That hasn't been how the nomination process has worked in the long history of The Republic, and we shouldn't start now.
   1492. BDC Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:14 AM (#5592373)
You mean like saber fanatics?

The ones who point out that the highest career ERA by a Hall of Famer is 3.90? :)
   1493. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM (#5592378)
I repeat: It's about ideology.

It's rare that we get someone to confess on the witness stand, Perry Mason style, but you do get points for honesty.

It's been clear what it's been "about" for you since forever.
   1494. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM (#5592379)
That hasn't been how the nomination process has worked in the long history of The Republic, and we shouldn't start now.

Instead we should nominate unqualified candidates, defend them when people point out that they are unqualified, attack anyone who points it out, some GOP Senators suggest the whole thing be rethought, and then drop the whole subject when the Trump White House withdraws the two least qualified nominees in a long time.

But yeah, it is totally not about ideology. You only want the best candidates. So long as they are GOP flavored they are delicious to you. You literally don't care about qualifications past that, as you have made very clear, so your protests otherwise about "how the process has worked" are laughable.
   1495. Zonk, Genius of the Stables Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM (#5592380)
JCI noted Kentucky State Rep Dan Johnson's suicide upthread - and my only initial reaction was sadness, coupled with yes, a sprinkling of potential horror. Sadness because guilty or not, suicide isn't the answer - admit the wrongs, try as best you can to make amends, and then try to put things back together. A sprinkling of potential horror because, of course - false allegations do happen, far more rarely than the sensationalizing anecdoters might claim - but it's obviously tragic if someone already in a fragile state is pushed over the edge.

But per this -- and click through to the Salon and KCIR report -- this dude appears to be about half a Trump short of David Koresh.

His "church" - which apparently served as his springboard into office - sounds like it was actually a way to draw in victims. He claimed to have ministered onsite at 9/11 (referenced in his suicide FB post) -- even receiving compensation from the 9/11 victims fund -- even though there's serious doubt he was even there (he also claimed to have ministered and created safe zones in the 1992 LA riots, and been a UN chaplain, Bush/Clinton/Bush chaplain - all of which appear false, etc, etc).

In short - it appears he was basically Trump, but in vestments... he really DID make Trumpism into a religion - before even Trump.

Mind-boggling.... absolutely mind-boggling.

1496. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM (#5592381)
It's been clear what it's been "about" for you since forever.

But only Democrats, right? The GOP totally doesn't campaign on all levels about getting "right thinking" judges on the bench. Nope. The GOP is totally blind to ideology when they nominate judges. Now wake up Ray, your little dream is over!
   1497. ^^^ Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:27 AM (#5592384)
But only Democrats, right?

Certainly not all Democrats, by any stretch.

But moralistic hacks like Andy? Very much so. As I said even before his Col. Jessup moment, dude has no conception whatever of the separation of powers, limited powers, pluralistic norms and procedures, etc. It's all just pure hacketry. No real evidence he'd even mind a dictator, just so long as the dictator was a Dem.
   1498. Count Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM (#5592385)
Better get these nominations in before January 1st, when we'll be in the calendar year of an election and the president therefore does not get to appoint judges. Let the people decide!
   1499. Ray (RDP) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:31 AM (#5592388)
And the award for least surprising development of OTP 2017 goes to!:

By his texts Strzok cleary wanted Hillary to win

CDS über alles.

Let's quote the rest of my post that you snipped mid-sentence. (We do have to snip somewhere, but snipping mid-sentence is often telling.) The rest of my post was:

By his texts Strzok cleary wanted Hillary to win and wanted Trump (and Sanders) to lose. And Strzok was in a position where he could put his thumb on the scales.

There's sort of a "fourth wall" when it comes to professionalism. Professionals don't talk out of school about the subjects that are part of their job. So a MLB umpire doesn't say, "And that Luke Scott; what a prick with his birtherism." The umpire can think it. But _saying_ it would call into question the umpire's professionalism and thus his impartiality and frankly his competence when it comes to doing his job.

Peter Strzok in texting his mistress in this way called into question his professionalism and thus his integrity and impartiality. Nobody would want to be investigated by the feds at all, let alone by a LEO who was so unprofessional that he was willing to flaunt his biases in this way. Again -- I couldn't imagine Mueller himself doing something like this. And if he did it would be a very big problem.

Strzok was not some low-level staffer, either; in fact, even setting his texts aside, why he was allowed to work both the Hillary server case _and_ the Trump "collusion" case is curious.

In any event, now some of the head scratching decisions about how witnesses such as Huma Abedin were treated during the Hillary investigation start to look a little less head scratching.

1500. ^^^ Posted: December 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM (#5592390)
Peter Strzok in texting his mistress in this way called into question his professionalism and thus his integrity and impartiality. Nobody would want to be investigated by the feds at all, let alone by a LEO who was so unprofessional that he was willing to flaunt his biases in this way. Again -- I couldn't imagine Mueller himself doing something like this. And if he did it would be a very big problem.

He was pretty clearly ##### whipped, so that's a part of it.

The "risk mitigation" meeting with McCabe and Page, however, takes things to an entirely different level of dodgy -- as Ray seems to be saying. The dodgy needs a full investigation and accounting, and is far more scandalous than the Russian (LOL) "collusion."
Page 15 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 13 14 15 16 17 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
^^^
for his generous support.