Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 11, 2017

OTP 11 December, 2017 - GOP strategist: Moore would have ‘date with a baseball bat’ if he tried dating teens where I grew up

“I grew up in Mississippi. Every father I knew, if he saw a guy like Roy Moore in his 30s trying to date his 16-year-old daughter, he would have had a date with a baseball bat,” Stevens, a former aide to Mitt Romney’s campaign, said on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360.”

Stevens, who worked on former Alabama Gov. Bob Riley’s (R) primary campaign against Moore in 2006, said Moore has violated the “decency standard” of civil society in his previous alleged pursuit of teenage girls.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 11, 2017 at 08:53 AM | 2653 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bats, bats are afraid, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 17 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›
   1601. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:01 PM (#5592531)
Biggest non-match was Strasserism, at -67%. Pretty sure I'm not a Nazi.

Heh... well, technically - both the Strassers and Nazis would say neither are they.

Boy, with all the supposed leftists here -- surprising to see everyone score so poorly at Trotskyists.

Why, it's almost as if Ray, SBB, and Zop are full of ####!
   1602. The Good Face Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:01 PM (#5592532)
Meanwhile Lassus' decades old war against reality ######## continues unabated.

Seems you encounter an awful lot of assholes in your life. You do know that the one constant in all those encounters with assholes is you, right?

Why would you assume that treating a stripper like a stripper is bad treatment?

Context, what is it for?

It was your lame attempt to justify sexual harassment that introduces being treated like a stripper. You may not know this, but sexual harassment is "bad treatment". The more you know.

BM has yet to find a question he can't beg.
   1603. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:02 PM (#5592533)
Those 10,000 texts are only the ones between Strzok & Page. Given that those disclose strong animus against Trump as well as discussion of an anti-Trump "insurance policy" discussed with the Deputy Director of the FBI, there seems to be sufficient reason to examine all of the communications of Strzok & Page, and perhaps others depending on where it leads

Jesus. Can someone please invent a "mindless political hack" biophage?
   1604. . . . . . . Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM (#5592536)
Where do you get this stuff from?

In backwater districts, Ch. 7 and 13 is the vast bulk of it. In fact, it is the vast bulk everywhere.

Chapter 11's are not that common, and many get converted.

Bankruptcy law is a breed unto itself, the most important issues are resolved in hearings, not trials, and I have never head of a BK judge bing appointed who was not very experienced, especially in the major districts where the big 11s take place.

Oh yeah, tell me more about bankruptcy law is practiced. Just put it right in my veins. I haven't been mansplained so hard since some ####### started lecturing me on avoidance actions at a recruiting event.
   1605. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM (#5592539)
Collusion with Russia would not be illegal. So if one side (Trump's campaign) can be investigated and put under oath for something that isn't illegal, then the other side (Clinton's campaign) can be investigated and put under oath for something that isn't illegal, namely, her dealings with Fusion GPS and their dealings with Steele and Russia and who was paid what and by whom and what all of these people knew about it. Not illegal.

Actually, if Fusion received Russian financing for the dossier work, that would quite likely be an illegal foreign campaign donation.
   1606. Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM (#5592540)
Seems you encounter an awful lot of ######## in your life. You do know that the one constant in all those encounters with ######## is you, right?

Actually, here, just you. The most constant thing in those encounters is you making things up.
   1607. The Good Face Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:06 PM (#5592542)
Boy, with all the supposed leftists here -- surprising to see everyone score so poorly at Trotskyists.

Or, perhaps, that test is just clickbait and/or hot garbage and shouldn't be taken seriously.
   1608. Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:07 PM (#5592543)
I haven't been mansplained so hard

That's not how any of this works.
   1609. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:08 PM (#5592544)
The last 7 Supreme Court Justices were all well-respected, federal appellate judges, except for Kagan, who was the government's chief appellate attorney as Solicitor General. The nominees of Democratic presidents were liberals, GOP Presidents nominated conservatives. All should have been easily confirmed under the standards that have governed judicial nominations for centuries. The problem is that folks like Andy want to change the rules, but just for the folks nominated by Presidents of the party they don't support. That's intellectually untenable and a recipe for long-term disaster.

You agree Garland should have been confirmed?

Never mind Garland. Clapper still hasn't said whether 31 out of 40 Republican Senators were wrong for opposing Sotomayor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[JE] has gotten to the point where every single link of "news" he posts comes from the fetid swamps of right wing propaganda farms.

You're just noticing that?
   1610. SteveF Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:10 PM (#5592546)
That's not how any of this works.

He's a man. He 'splained. Hence he mansplained, right?

I sometimes think the Jezebel set does more damage to feminism than any MRA ever could.
   1611. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:10 PM (#5592547)
Never mind Garland. Clapper still hasn't said whether 31 out of 40 Republican Senators were wrong for opposing Sotomayor.

Her "wise Latina" stuff, leading to "better conclusions" than white males, was probably enough to vote no.

Racial animus can certainly be argued to be disqualifying. It certainly would be if "wise Latina" was replaced by "wise white male," and "white males" with, say, "Latinas."
   1612. The Good Face Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM (#5592548)
Actually, here, just you. The most constant thing in this thread is you making things up.

So you've claimed to be waging a decades long war against assholes, but the only one you've encountered is me? I'm flattered that I justify that kind of effort and dedication (And feel a little bad that I haven't reciprocated. Would you like an angry letter, or for me to fire one of those cannons that shoots a flag reading "Bang"?), but I'd suggest your priorities might be misplaced.
   1613. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM (#5592551)
Depends where you live, but women probably have the same rights as men. Not the same treatment, or the same advantages or whatever you like, but "right" has a fairly specific meaning.

In the context of this quiz, a right unrecognized and undefended is not a right held. Clearly.
   1614. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM (#5592553)
Jesus. Can someone please invent a "mindless political hack" biophage?

The problem is your weapon probably solves half the Trumpkin problem though.

You need something for embryonic fascists and proto-authoritarians.... because that's the little waltz that Ray and SBB are dancing. The prenatal MRIs are pretty clear: Ignore, overlook, or try to minimize any failings of Dear Leader in favor of hyper-inflating any errors or missteps of the perceived enemies of Dear Leader, especially if those enemies are long-standing thorns where the animus predates the ascendance of Dear Leader.

1615. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM (#5592555)

But if that's the standard that you want to adhere to, and if IYHO that's all it takes to make a nominee qualified to hold high office, then I'm sure that Sen. David Nieporent (I-NJ) would've voted to confirm Morris Dees as Attorney General and the late William Kunstler for the Supreme Court.

I repeat: It's about ideology. And you're positively cute when you try to pretend it's not.
Uh, you're being incoherent. Is it about qualifications or is it about ideology? If it's the latter, as you now claim, then why are you talking about whether they are qualified?
   1616. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM (#5592556)
You need something for embryonic fascists and proto-authoritarians.... because that's the little waltz that Ray and SBB are dancing.

No, I want cake creators to be free to create the cakes they want, and not for the authoritarians to make them create them.

Seems this would be quite clear by now but ... alas ... perhaps not.
   1617. BrianBrianson Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM (#5592557)
Uhm, yes. A right unrecognised and undefended is not a right held, or a right at all. And so, has no bearing on whether women have the same rights as men.
   1618. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:17 PM (#5592558)

Or, perhaps, that test is just clickbait and/or hot garbage and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Just like anything and everything else that doesn't square with your preconceptions!
   1619. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:17 PM (#5592559)
You need something for embryonic fascists and proto-authoritarians....

Yeah. On the one hand, you don't want to over tailor your solution. On the other hand, you want to make sure your solution is effective against target demographics. We'll probably need two or three.
   1620. Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM (#5592560)
So you've claimed to be waging a decades long war against ########
That was actually you who said that.

but the only one you've encountered is me?
Actually, here, just you.
   1621. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM (#5592563)

Andy makes clerking for a Supreme Court Justice the lead item in his screed against James Ho, and then has the audacity to whine when others suggest that is an incredibly poor reason to oppose confirmation of a federal judicial nominee. Sad. Very Sad. I don't know where Andy got the rest of his talking points, I haven't seen them raised elsewhere,
He may have gotten them from the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, but as you noted that I noted, (a) if so he misunderstood them, and (b) even the LCCR didn't oppose Ho! They just announced that they had "concerns" and suggested that the Senate "carefully scrutinize" Ho.
   1622. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM (#5592564)
You need something for embryonic fascists and proto-authoritarians.... because that's the little waltz that Ray and SBB are dancing.

No, I want cake bakers to be free to bake the cakes they want, and not for the authoritarians to make them bake them.

Suuuureee.... sure.

Once you've disposed of that meddlesome press and the Deep State plaguing Dear Leader -- I have no doubt your utopia will be upon the land. Because that's ALWAYS how it has worked!
   1623. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:22 PM (#5592568)
I don't know of any blue dog who was going to run (he did beat a guy named Robert Kennedy Jr. in the primary, who judging by the name seemed like a guy trying to win by having voters see his name and think he was somebody else)

This will happen next year in Texas too. One of the Democratic primary candidates for the seat of retiring 13-term 86-year-old Republican Representative Sam Johnson (TX-3) is a Democrat political newbie named...... Sam Johnson.
   1624. The Good Face Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM (#5592570)
So you've claimed to be waging a decades long war against ########

That was actually you who said that.

Actually it was you that said it. Right there in 1554. I'll quote it below.

Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 11:21 AM (#5592472)

Meanwhile Lassus' decades old war against reality assholes continues unabated.

but the only one you've encountered is me?

Actually, here, just you.

So you are encountering plenty of assholes in your day to day away from here? Sorry to hear that. Please try to consider my words in 1602.

1625. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:27 PM (#5592572)

There's sort of a "fourth wall" when it comes to professionalism. Professionals don't talk out of school about the subjects that are part of their job. So a MLB umpire doesn't say, "And that Luke Scott; what a prick with his birtherism." The umpire can think it. But _saying_ it would call into question the umpire's professionalism and thus his impartiality and frankly his competence when it comes to doing his job.
Saying it publicly, yeah. But if you don't think every umpire doesn't go home and say to his wife, "So-and-so is such a jackass" from time to time, you're deluding yourself.

Peter Strzok in texting his mistress in this way called into question his professionalism and thus his integrity and impartiality. Nobody would want to be investigated by the feds at all, let alone by a LEO who was so unprofessional that he was willing to flaunt his biases in this way. Again -- I couldn't imagine Mueller himself doing something like this. And if he did it would be a very big problem.
I don't think you quite understand the meaning of "flaunt." Saying something privately is pretty much the opposite of flaunting it.

And pretty much every sane person in the U.S. was saying those sorts of things about Trump, at least privately if not publicly, throughout 2016.

Oh, and as to your "And Strzok was in a position where he could put his thumb on the scales," well, heck of a job, Petey.
   1626. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:29 PM (#5592574)
Have more babies!

Hilarious.

I mean, sure - the math is the math over decades and decades, graphing a smooth line.... but I'm not quite sure the GOP leading its push for unpopular changes - unpopular changes Dear Leader specifically campaigned against, but certainly won't oppose - with a clarion call for the ladies to lay back and spread 'em is the best message at the moment. Of course, you know, there ARE other ways to increase to increase the working population beyond the ladies taking a few for the team....

Not a good look.
   1627. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:29 PM (#5592576)
Similar to how the Trump admin and its sycophants here assume others have no principles because they don't, is The Yankee Clapper assuming Andy gets 'talking points' from like-minded commentators because...that's how Clapper operates? Even if Andy's reasoning is weak, could he not have come up with it on his own? Could it not just be Pure Andy?
No, because Andy is citing specific facts -- talking points, as it were -- and Andy doesn't know those sorts of things. Usually he reads one article about a topic in the NYT or WaPo and then speaks as if the article is authoritative and he knows all there is to know about a topic, but he sometimes gets them from some advocacy group.
   1628. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:29 PM (#5592577)
Clapper still hasn't said whether 31 out of 40 Republican Senators were wrong for opposing Sotomayor.

Can you not read? I clearly stated in the 1st paragraph #1561 (the comment you just quoted the 2nd paragraph from!) that it was foolish to expect GOP Senators to continue to provide Democratic Supreme Court nominees the overwhelming support they gave Ginsburg & Breyer after many Democratic Senators opposed Roberts and unsuccessfully filibustered Alito. That's just how politics works - Democratic nominees don't get a stroll in the park while GOP nominees run a gauntlet. I personally regret that Senate Democrats departed from centuries of tradition to so thoroughly politicize the Supreme Court confirmation process. As I said before, I'd vote for all of the last 7 Supreme Court Justices, with the full knowledge that some were liberals and others were conservatives. Heck, I'd go back further than that but was trying to use a somewhat contemporaneous sample that was quite similar except for ideology and most folks here might be familiar with.
   1629. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:29 PM (#5592578)
And pretty much every sane person in the U.S. was saying those sorts of things about Trump, at least privately if not publicly, throughout 2016.

You know as well as I do that having a "sane person" being part of the investigation *is precisely the bias they are worried about.* Deranged ######### consider basic sanity to be a "bias."
   1630. Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5592580)
Actually it was you that said it. Right there in 1554. I'll quote it below.

Quoting you making things up about me from #1523:
Meanwhile Lassus' decades old war against reality continues unabated.
I guess I can put some of that on me for not correcting Every. Last. Word. you use to make things up. My time is limited.

So you are encountering plenty of ######## in your day to day away from here? Sorry to hear that.
And again. See my previous quote about the constant in our encounters.
   1631. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5592581)
I clearly stated in the 1st paragraph #1561

"...that I, The Yankee Clapper, am a mindless automaton #### who will literally say anything to slick the poles of Republican power. *gobble gobble gobble*"
   1632. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:34 PM (#5592582)
Suuuureee.... sure.

I don't want cake creators to be free?

What on Earth are you talking about?

I'm probably the most resolute civil libertarian on the board. The fact that I sometimes note and comment upon the symptoms and metastasis of Trump Derangement Syndrome changes that simple fact not one iota.
   1633. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:34 PM (#5592583)
Oh, Jeff Sessions is wholly "capable of doing the job", all right, if "the job" in question is advancing the agenda of the radical right. By that standard, Trump himself has a certain amount of capability, though admittedly he's not quite as efficient as his Attorney General.

But if that's the standard that you want to adhere to, and if IYHO that's all it takes to make a nominee qualified to hold high office, then I'm sure that Sen. David Nieporent (I-NJ) would've voted to confirm Morris Dees as Attorney General and the late William Kunstler for the Supreme Court.

I repeat: It's about ideology. And you're positively cute when you try to pretend it's not.

Uh, you're being incoherent. Is it about qualifications or is it about ideology? If it's the latter, as you now claim, then why are you talking about whether they are qualified?

It's not that complicated: Jeff Sessions and Dees / Kunstler are (were) all qualified by their paper credentials to be Attorney General. That doesn't mean you'd either want to appoint them or would vote to confirm them.** One can admit that all of them are qualified in terms of paper credentials, while at the same time finding them supremely unqualified in terms of the larger picture.

There is a larger picture, you know. Just ask the 31 Republican Senators who voted against Sotomayor.

And would Senator Nieporent vote for Dees or Kunstler to be Attorney General?

** Though apparently you'd have voted for Sessions, and I'd love to see Morris Dees replace him in 2021. Not likely to happen, alas.

1634. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:35 PM (#5592585)
Saying something privately is pretty much the opposite of flaunting it.

He didn't say them "privately," he said them to a fellow highly-empowered on Trump/Hillary matters law enforcement colleague.
   1635. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:36 PM (#5592586)
Have more babies!

Look, it's either women-as-baby-factories-for-the-master-race, or dirty darkies and wetbacks voting, man.
   1636. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM (#5592588)

@davidfrum:
On that same day, GOP presidential candidate Marco Rubio called Trump a "con man" and candidate Ted Cruz called Trump "part of the corruption in Washington you're angry about."
   1637. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:39 PM (#5592589)
Oh, and as to your "And Strzok was in a position where he could put his thumb on the scales," well, heck of a job, Petey.

He not only could, he did -- thus, e.g., the change from "grossly negligent," to "extremely careless" and the various investigations signed off on.

Not to mention the "risk mitigation" FBI conspiracy he avidly espoused.
   1638. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5592590)

As much as you've argued with them, I think you'd understand the Trumpkin mindset by now.

HE gets to do or say whatever he wants, without scrutiny, with only the barest minimum of disapprobation to maintain a veneer of plausible deniability.

However, anyone reporting on Him, investigating Him, prosecuting Him, or otherwise functioning as a check against Him must be a mindless automaton limited to stenography.

If you put your hands on the bulging orange belly, you can feel the little fellas kick!
   1639. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM (#5592592)
Saying it publicly, yeah. But if you don't think every umpire doesn't go home and say to his wife, "So-and-so is such a jackass" from time to time, you're deluding yourself.

You've hit on the weak part of my argument but again there is still a difference: as I said, if Meuller were texting his wife in this way I think you'd agree that would be a problem. It goes beyond merely thinking it or pillow talk. And frankly the LOListic nature of the Strzok texts pertaining to the very subject of his job also does not inspire confidence that he can do his job professionally.

Nor was Page someone who was disconnected from this whole thing; it looks like she was involved in it.

1640. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM (#5592593)

Shorter Andy: "Qualified means whatever I want it to mean from sentence to sentence." They're qualified, but they're not qualified, or maybe they're not qualified but they are qualified, or something like that. I cannot fathom why you keep trying to use a word that means one thing for something unrelated. Just say, "I don't want so-and-so to have the job because I don't like his views," instead of trying to pretend that the person isn't "qualified" when you know full well he is.
   1641. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM (#5592594)
HE gets to do or say whatever he wants, without scrutiny,

No. No one here remotely thinks that.

But when the "scrutiny" is deranged and insane, expect that to be pointed out. From a procedural and institutional perspective, it does the nation a disservice for the opposition to become deranged and insane. Therefore, defenders of solid procedures and institutions will point out when it does.

And when that is turned into, "You're a Trumpkin, you're an authoritarian," the derangement and insanity prove themselves and ratify the pointing out.
   1642. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:44 PM (#5592595)
if Meuller were texting his wife in this way I think you'd agree that would be a problem. It goes beyond merely thinking it or pillow talk. And frankly the LOListic nature of the Strzok texts pertaining to the very subject of his job also does not inspire confidence that he can do his job professionally.

The only real issue with Strzok here is that a senior muckity-muck at the FBI didn't think his texts were going to be read.
   1643. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM (#5592596)
So this is interesting, too...

Despite several landmark legislative wins this year, and a better-than-expected relationship with President Donald Trump, Ryan has made it known to some of his closest confidants that this will be his final term as speaker. He consults a small crew of family, friends and staff for career advice, and is always cautious not to telegraph his political maneuvers. But the expectation of his impending departure has escaped the hushed confines of Ryan’s inner circle and permeated the upper-most echelons of the GOP. In recent interviews with three dozen people who know the speaker—fellow lawmakers, congressional and administration aides, conservative intellectuals and Republican lobbyists—not a single person believed Ryan will stay in Congress past 2018.

Guess lil' Paulie is going to go back to that lucrative career driving the weinermobile!
   1644. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5592597)

I don't know what this even means. Yes, Trump won the election. And? It doesn't change whether Strzok may have improperly handled his roles in the investigations.
   1645. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5592598)
The FBI’s Trump ‘Insurance’

[...]

What “policy” would that be? The “Andy” in question is Andrew McCabe,
By the way, I like how the media has gone from "Is believed to be Andrew McCabe" (which itself is, well, something other than journalism¹) to "is Andrew McCabe," which is just completely fabricated. To be sure, it might be true; indeed, that seems very plausible -- but the media is supposed to report things that it knows to be true, not just things that it guesses that are true.

¹Passive voice? Who believes it? How does the journalist know? Does the person who supposedly believes this have any evidence for it?
   1646. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM (#5592599)
The only real issue with Strzok here is that a senior muckity-muck at the FBI didn't think his texts were going to be read.

Of course -- because he thought Hillary would win.
   1647. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5592600)
Yes, Trump won the election.

In some part due to the fact that the FBI that you are pissing yourself over being "improper" toward Trump was actually thumbing that said scale against his opponent. But whatever, son. In Trumpkin land we've always been at war with Oceania.
   1648. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5592601)
Political Sextant Quiz?
You people killed the site. It gave me an incredibly elaborate error message that included file paths and details about how Django is set up. Someone needs to turn off development mode.
   1649. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5592602)
HE gets to do or say whatever he wants, without scrutiny,

No. No one here remotely thinks that.

Ha! Look - a little hand in the orange belly!

A sampling of the little embryo's holding him to account:

1650. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM (#5592603)
In some part due to the fact that the FBI that you are pissing yourself over being "improper" toward Trump was actually thumbing that said scale against his opponent.

Thumbing the scale ... by completely tanking the rogue server investigation and opening an investigation on her opponent in the middle of the campaign, based on her phonied-up campaign document.

The other one -- it very much needs pulling.
   1651. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM (#5592604)
You people killed the site. It gave me an incredibly elaborate error message that included file paths and details about how Django is set up. Someone needs to turn off development mode.

No, that just means you're a 1000% match to pure anarchism.
   1652. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5592605)

.@TomFitton: "I think the FBI's been compromised. Forget about shutting down Mr. Mueller. Do we need to shut down the @FBI because it was turned into a KGB-type operation by the Obama administration?"
Remember when Trump was hauled off to Lubyanka prison? And then later assassinated by a polonium-wielding attacker? And prevented from getting on television, so he lost the election in a landslide?
   1653. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5592606)

Obviously.

Why you're flaunting that problem, or think it helps you, I don't know.
   1654. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5592607)
Remember when Trump was hauled off to Lubyanka prison? And then later assassinated by a polonium-wielding attacker? And prevented from getting on television, so he lost the election in a landslide?

Get out of my dreams, Kneepants.
   1655. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM (#5592608)
But when the "scrutiny" is deranged and insane, expect that to be pointed out. From a procedural and institutional perspective, it does the nation a disservice for the opposition to become deranged and insane. Therefore, defenders of solid procedures and institutions will point out when it does.

And when that is turned into, "You're a Trumpkin, you're an authoritarian," the derangement and insanity prove themselves and ratify the pointing out.

Only by getting rid of the opposition can the opposition be made pure again....

Where it will look like this:

1656. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5592610)
Why you're flaunting that problem, or think it helps you, I don't know.

I'm not flaunting anything. People, even senior FBI agents, are stupid. The older they are, the more stupid they are about technology and how recorded and permanent every utterance ever is today. (He says, on the internet, behind a laughably weak pseudonym.) Strzok obviously had this issue too, thinking (as many idiots often do) that their secret conversations were actually "secret."

This in no way whatsoever validates your paranoid conspiracy stupidity, where you're sinking to SBB levels of idiocy about The Deep Staitz coming to attack Poor, Put Upon, Dear and Glorious Leader The Donald.
   1657. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5592611)
Only by getting rid of the opposition can the opposition be made pure again....

Where it will look like this:

Concessions accepted.

Derangement?

What derangement?
   1658. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5592612)
Your top ideologies are:

For those on the squad:

100% Dancing Monkeyism
   1659. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM (#5592613)
I guess I can put some of that on me for not correcting Every. Last. Word. you use to make things up. My time is limited.

Seriously. He is mendacious and and not that bright. Correcting him would be a full time job and he doesn't even post that much. Still, everywhere he goes there he is, so feel some pity for the poor lad.
   1660. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM (#5592615)
31 out of 40 Republican Senators voted against her. I notice that you somehow forgot to mention this in #1510. Three guesses why.

Can you really be this clueless? After Democrats voted against Roberts in large numbers, and unsuccessfully filibustered Alito, you thought the next Democratic Supreme Court nominee would still receive the overwhelming GOP support given Ginsburg & Breyer? That's not how it works. Democratic nominees don't get a walk in the park while GOP nominees run a gauntlet. Other than Sotomayor, the rest of the list in #1528 is nonsense. No Democratic President would nominate them, and the ABA probably wouldn't find most of them qualified. I doubt they are on anyone's list of judicial appointees other than Andy's.

I asked whether you'd consider them qualified for a federal judgeship or Attorney-General, not for the Supreme Court. And I doubt if Jeff Sessions would've been on any Republican candidate's list for Attorney General other than Trump's or Ted Cruz's.

The last 7 Supreme Court Justices were all well-respected, federal appellate judges, except for Kagan, who was the government's chief appellate attorney as Solicitor General. The nominees of Democratic presidents were liberals, GOP Presidents nominated conservatives. All should have been easily confirmed under the standards that have governed judicial nominations for centuries.

That still doesn't answer the question: Were those 31 Republican Senators wrong for opposing Sotomayor? At the time of her nomination, would you have voted to confirm her?

The problem is that folks like Andy want to change the rules, but just for the folks nominated by Presidents of the party they don't support. That's intellectually untenable and a recipe for long-term disaster.

As you've cited many times to your approval, I said repeatedly I would've voted for Gorsuch. That doesn't mean I want to give a blank check to all GOP nominees, any more than I'd expect you to give a blank check to the hypothetical nominees I listed in #1528. You're no less governed by ideology than anyone; you just don't want to admit it.
   1661. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM (#5592616)
I sometimes note and comment upon the symptoms and metastasis of Trump Derangement Syndrome
Sometimes? Has a day gone by since 2015 when you haven't?
But when the "scrutiny" is deranged and insane, expect that to be pointed out
Pro tip: When you use "deranged" every time anyone disagrees with you, it loses its meaning. Or, to paraphrase Clapper The Sage, if everyone you cross paths with is deranged, maybe it's not them.
   1662. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM (#5592617)

@hemantmehta:

Rep. Louie Gohmert: Had Hillary Clinton Won, I’d Be in Jail for My Christianity/Q5nHLW

Right after Obama comes for your guns, dressed in a loincloth and full Kenyan war paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YbfRfz9zPA
   1663. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM (#5592618)

It actually really isn't that hard at all -- he was referring to some kind of steps to mitigate the risk that Trump would get elected -- and the "precisely" there is the grammatical equivalent of straining so hard you pop a hemorrhoid.
Even if you pretend to know what the words mean -- which any non-troll would admit he doesn't -- you don't even understand the metaphor of insurance. When I take out life insurance, I am not trying to lessen the chances that I will die; I am trying to mitigate the damage to my heirs if I die. When I take out auto collision insurance, I am not trying to lessen the chances of getting into an auto accident; I am trying to mitigate damages I will suffer if I do.
   1664. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM (#5592619)
Strzok obviously had this issue too, thinking (as many idiots often do) that their secret conversations were actually "secret."

Which very much might explain how it is that we now see clearly that he was engaged in a conspiracy within the FBI to insure against the "risk" of a Trump election.

Not real hard to understand how he might not want that to come out. But come out, it has. The nation is much the better for it.
   1665. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:58 PM (#5592621)
That still doesn't answer the question

Come on Andy, you know the real answer. Everything bad is done by Democrats or done after Democrats have been so terrible that the GOP has no choice but to respond in kind. Nothing bad has ever be done by any Republican ever that is not the fault of one or more Democrats.
   1666. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5592623)
Lie tracker and comparison.

Your Trumpkins at work.
   1667. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5592625)
Is it just me or is Zonk posting a bunch of blank quotes today?
   1668. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:02 PM (#5592626)
Even if you pretend to know what the words mean -- which any non-troll would admit he doesn't

Yes, the words are so, so, mysterious. So very, very mysterious. Quite mysterious. A mystery.

I mean how could we possibly figure out the "context" of a text talking about a meeting in Andy's office and at least one of the things that was said?

Here's a wild guess: The context was further discussion of a meeting in Andy's office.

1669. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:03 PM (#5592627)

[1573] The big name forecasters all of Florida as either toss up or lean D as a result of Rick Scott being likely to run. I think they are vastly under-forecasting how D-friendly the environment is likely to be. Scott may decide the race just isn’t worth it after seeing Alabama.
He might decide the race isn't worth it... but based on Alabama? I'm pretty sure the lesson of Alabama is, "Don't molest children," not "The environment is D-friendly." I mean, Moore almost won despite being a child molester; it took everything going right for Jones to eke out a victory.
   1670. BrianBrianson Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:04 PM (#5592629)

Thatsthejoke.jpg
   1671. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:05 PM (#5592630)
Shorter Andy: "Qualified means whatever I want it to mean from sentence to sentence." They're qualified, but they're not qualified, or maybe they're not qualified but they are qualified, or something like that. I cannot fathom why you keep trying to use a word that means one thing for something unrelated. Just say, "I don't want so-and-so to have the job because I don't like his views," instead of trying to pretend that the person isn't "qualified" when you know full well he is.

Shorter David: Jeff Sessions has paper credentials up the wazoo. No further questions!

Question for David: In #1528 I made a list of hypothetical nominees for Attorney-General. Here they are again:

1. William Kunstler
2. Morris Dees
3. Bruce Wright
4. Joseph Forer
5. Ron Kuby
6. Leonard Weinglass
7. Sonia Sotomayor
8. Catharine MacKinnon

Would you consider them qualified for the position? If not, on what grounds?

And if so, would you vote, or would you have voted** to confirm them? Feel free to google Forer and Weinglass; I assume you're well acquainted with at least the six others.

** As I wrote before, I realize that some of them are deceased, which is one more reason why it's a purely hypothetical exercise.
   1672. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:06 PM (#5592631)

My understanding is that he's attempting to quote only the useful and truthful bits from SBB's trolling.
   1673. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:06 PM (#5592632)
That still doesn't answer the question

Come on Andy, you know the real answer. Everything bad is done by Democrats or done after Democrats have been so terrible that the GOP has no choice but to respond in kind. Nothing bad has ever be done by any Republican ever that is not the fault of one or more Democrats.

The answer's in The Bible, Mouse: The Democrats were born in sin, while the Republicans are all products of virgin births. I think it's found in Falwell 2: 6-7.
   1674. BrianBrianson Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:07 PM (#5592634)
The lessons of Alabama include "don't molest children" AND "the environment is (D) friendly". If you're a (R) and young enough to wait, I'd wait (outside of maybe Utah, Mississippi, Nebraska kinda places, where not fiddling kids will probably be enough to overcome the environment).
   1675. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5592635)
He might decide the race isn't worth it... but based on Alabama? I'm pretty sure the lesson of Alabama is, "Don't molest children," not "The environment is D-friendly." I mean, Moore almost won despite being a child molester; it took everything going right for Jones to eke out a victory.

Except of course most of the analysis I have seen suggests that the factors that led to Moore's loss were roughly 1/3 "Don't molest children", 1/3 "Don't be a terrible retrograde candidate", and 1/3 "Be a Democrat, because the water is sure warm for them."

Clever and experienced politicians like Rick Scott can parse out the multiple causes of a political event and apply the ones that matter to them and their potential situation.

EDIT: Coke to my fellow Free-market environmentalist.
   1676. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5592637)
I asked whether you'd consider them qualified for a federal judgeship or Attorney-General, not for the Supreme Court. And I doubt if Jeff Sessions would've been on any Republican candidate's list for Attorney General other than Trump's or Ted Cruz's.

Just as Sessions or any of the senior GOP Senators on the Judiciary Committee (that were lawyers) were qualified to be Attorney General in a Republican Administration, it would be within the prerogative of a Democratic President to name any of the senior members on the Democratic side of the Judiciary Committee. Those are the folks who are comparable to Sessions, not the group of mostly ass-clowns you listed in #1528 that no Democratic President would even consider nominating.
   1677. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5592638)
Would you consider them qualified for the position? If not, on what grounds?

Would you consider Cellino and Barnes qualified for the position?

Huh? Would you?????
   1678. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5592639)

He didn't say them "privately," he said them to a fellow highly-empowered on Trump/Hillary matters law enforcement colleague.
He texted his girlfriend. That's about as private as it gets. Chalk that up as another concept you pretend not to understand.
   1679. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:09 PM (#5592641)

The man looks like a ####### ghoul & is pretty much creepiness personified. Perhaps he's got some skeletons of 14-year-olds in his closet.
   1680. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:10 PM (#5592642)

Thatsthejoke.jpg

This guy gets it :-)

1681. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:10 PM (#5592643)
He texted his girlfriend.

No, he texted a co-worker. About government business.
   1682. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:10 PM (#5592644)
I mean, sure - the math is the math over decades and decades, graphing a smooth line.... but I'm not quite sure the GOP leading its push for unpopular changes - unpopular changes Dear Leader specifically campaigned against, but certainly won't oppose - with a clarion call for the ladies to lay back and spread 'em is the best message at the moment. Of course, you know, there ARE other ways to increase to increase the working population beyond the ladies taking a few for the team....
Well, there's no reason we can't both have more babies AND open the immigration floodgates again. Both R's and D's should be looking for ways to encourage population growth since it masks many problems.

1683. Lassus Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:12 PM (#5592645)
Seriously. He is mendacious and and not that bright.

In fairness, I definitely disagree with the latter.
   1684. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:13 PM (#5592646)

if Meuller were texting his wife in this way I think you'd agree that would be a problem. It goes beyond merely thinking it or pillow talk.
Sorry, but I'm really unclear how it goes beyond pillow talk. (Unless, of course, you're interpreting that phrase hyperliterally, but since you just chastised people here the other day for thinking that when you said "all" you meant "all," I dismiss that possibility.) Of course, there are other aspects of impropriety -- he was apparently using an FBI phone rather than his personal one, and also it was an extramarital affair -- but those don't speak to the partisan political issues we're discussing; those aspects would be wrong regardless of whether they were discussing the election or the World Cup.
   1685. The Good Face Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:14 PM (#5592648)

Apparently you had the time to quote what I said describing you and change that quote to more accurately describe yourself. And then post all of the followups we've seen here. But now we're to believe that you initially misquoted yourself because you're, like, really busy? Mmmkay.

And again. See my previous quote about the constant in our encounters.

So are you encountering assholes away from this site/thread? I'd sort of figured that was the case, given that you're waging a decades long "war" on them. Seems crazy to be waging a war on people that don't exist, but I'm sure you've got your reasons.
   1686. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:15 PM (#5592649)
Just as Sessions or any of the senior GOP Senators on the Judiciary Committee (that were lawyers) were qualified to be Attorney General in a Republican Administration, it would be within the prerogative of a Democratic President to name any of the senior members on the Democratic side of the Judiciary Committee. Those are the folks who are comparable to Sessions, not the group of mostly ass-clowns you listed in #1528 that no Democratic President would even consider nominating.

So now you have to be a senior member of the Judiciary Committee to be qualified to be Attorney General? That would've been news to pretty much every president within our lifetimes, if not all of them.

Seriously, the more you try to avoid the fact that cabinet members are chosen largely for ideology, and that paper qualifications are often little more than a CYA talking point, the funnier you become.
   1687. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:15 PM (#5592650)

Get out of my dreams, Kneepants.
I'm not getting in your car, Sam.
   1688. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:16 PM (#5592651)
Sorry, but I'm really unclear how it goes beyond pillow talk.

The "Trump sucks" ones, maybe. The "we need a new insurance path," not even close.
   1689. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:20 PM (#5592654)

No, he texted a co-worker.
That he was, unprofessionally, at least wanting to #### and likely already #######.

Going back to our thread the other day: Don't do that. At least not if you're in a job where professionalism matters. Not worth it.
   1690. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:22 PM (#5592655)

No, he texted a co-worker.
No, he texted his girlfriend.

(This is fun.)

EDIT: No, it isn’t.
   1691. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:22 PM (#5592656)
And the FCC votes 3-2 to kill net neutrality. A golden age for lawyers has begun.

If you want a funny stat, try this: In Alabama exit polling, Mitch McConnell had just a 16% approval rating among Doug Jones voters, but enjoys a 16% approval rating among Roy Moore voters. Whatever comes in 2018, at least you'll always have making Lena Dunham cry a year ago.

As for dancing monkeys, I see less zoology in many of those posts, and more entomology.
   1692. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:23 PM (#5592657)
No, he texted his girlfriend.

Whatever you say, Dancing Pedant.
   1693. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:24 PM (#5592658)
Ho-lee Shee-ite...

With net neutrality dying today - you might have heard about the avalanche of fake and forged comments submitted to the FCC during the comment period.

In any case - you can check your name here... but here's the real kicker -- search by just your LAST name.

So - my (actual, real) comment I submitted shows up as it was submitted.... but - so do two of my uncles, my brother, and my dad, all of whom 'submitted comments' in favor of the repeal. Traded texts with 3 of the 4 - my brother is pro-net neutrality (something I already knew - in fact, this all started when I saw his name and just texted him that I thought it was odd that he submitted a comment that is in direct conflict with things I've seen him post on social media). Ironically - my dad (who beyond Trump, pretty much goes with whatever Fox tells him to believe) is anti-net neutrality, but did not submit anything... and now I've got a nice string of hand-wringing about computers and identity theft. The uncle who texted me back said "What's Net Neutrality".

It's as if someone just used one of those cheap-o background check services and then just funneled fake comments through listed relatives...
   1694. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:24 PM (#5592659)
This is not exactly news, but there is more there than meets the eye - Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton picks Lt. Gov. Tina Smith to replace Al Franken

Her appointment isn't without concerns, though. When Smith's name was first floated a week ago, she reportedly was not interested in running in the special election that will be held next November. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, though, was reportedly unhappy at the prospect of Dayton picking a placeholder, preferring that he choose someone who'd capitalize on the advantages offered by a year of incumbency, and so therefore pushed him to pick a candidate who'd actually run in 2018.

As I said before she is not in the slightest bit impressive as a candidate based on what we know now.Maybe she can win in 2018 based on a good environment for Democrats, but I would rather any of the available credible options more than her.

Then there's the matter of who will succeed Smith. Under the state constitution, the job would now fall to the president of the state Senate, Michelle Fischbach—who's a Republican. That's a dangerous move, because god forbid something should happen to Dayton (who is 70 years old, has twice fainted in public, and was treated for prostate cancer earlier this year) during his final year in office, the GOP would wind up with complete control of the state's government for the first time in several decades. Even Dayton himself acknowledged that this scenario is "a valid concern." (Suffice it to say that Republicans would never put themselves at risk in such a way if the situation were reversed.)

Fischbach is making life even more complicated by insisting she plans to keep her current job while simultaneously serving as lieutenant governor. Fischbach claims there's precedent for such an arrangement, despite the obvious separation-of-powers problem it presents, while Democrats say that a 1972 amendment to the constitution precludes Fischbach from holding both positions at once. Litigation seems likely.

Ugh. So we get a meh candidate who brings nothing to the table that any one of other candidates could bring (Two alternate suggestions: Rebeca Otto or Lori Swanson) and we get a side helping of political risk and some lawsuits.

Were I a hack like ... well you know ... I wouldn't mention the mess or would try to put a happy blue face on it, but nope this is an unnecessary fumble and politically stupid.
   1695. BrianBrianson Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:24 PM (#5592660)
Turning the internet into AOL is certainly going to endear the (R) brand to young people.
   1696. -- Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:25 PM (#5592661)
Can agencies even consider comments from Canadians?
   1697. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:27 PM (#5592662)
Well, there's no reason we can't both have more babies AND open the immigration floodgates again.

The world's natural resources are getting depleted at an alarming rate. A higher population is going to make that worse.
   1698. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:27 PM (#5592663)
Can agencies even consider comments from Canadians?

Yes they can, but the exchange rate is 0.79 to 1 American comment.
   1699. Zonk just has affection for alumni Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:27 PM (#5592664)
Well, there's no reason we can't both have more babies AND open the immigration floodgates again. Both R's and D's should be looking for ways to encourage population growth since it masks many problems.

I'm not saying otherwise.

I'm just saying that in the current environment, the underlying 'spread 'em, ladies' probably isn't a good luck.... even from the genial Trumpkins.
   1700. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: December 14, 2017 at 01:28 PM (#5592665)

Former Apprentice star Omarosa Manigault-Newman said she had felt uncomfortable and upset in the White House as its most high-profile African American woman, as she denied reports she had been fired from her post as an assistant to Donald Trump.

She also hinted strongly that she had revealing and potentially damaging stories to share from her time in the Trump administration.
Former Apprentice contestant Omarosa resigns from Trump administration
Read more

“As the only African American woman in this White House, as a senior staff and assistant to the president, I have seen things that have made me uncomfortable, that have upset me, that have affected me deeply and emotionally, that has affected my community and my people,” Omarosa said.

“And when I can tell my story, it is a profound story that I know the world will want to hear,” she continued.

Graun

Profound.

Heh.
Page 17 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.