Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 11, 2017

OTP 11 December, 2017 - GOP strategist: Moore would have ‘date with a baseball bat’ if he tried dating teens where I grew up

“I grew up in Mississippi. Every father I knew, if he saw a guy like Roy Moore in his 30s trying to date his 16-year-old daughter, he would have had a date with a baseball bat,” Stevens, a former aide to Mitt Romney’s campaign, said on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360.”

Stevens, who worked on former Alabama Gov. Bob Riley’s (R) primary campaign against Moore in 2006, said Moore has violated the “decency standard” of civil society in his previous alleged pursuit of teenage girls.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 11, 2017 at 08:53 AM | 2653 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bats, bats are afraid, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 23 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last ›
   2201. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:19 PM (#5593471)
Ray, #2195:
It seems to really stick in your craw that I think Colbert's usage of cockholster was homophobic.
You can't seem to let it go.

Stop fantasizing about whatever you imagine to be too huge to fit inside my soft, moist craw.

Hot Wheel, #2198:
Many are wondering why it seems to really stick in your craw that GF often references your weak take on a Colbert bit.

Oh, look. Someone who doesn't need a joke explained to them.

It's homo. It's always been homo.
   2202. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:21 PM (#5593472)
Looks like the Tax Bill is on go ahead for voting: Corker & Rubio on board.
   2203. Traderdave Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:24 PM (#5593474)
What do the frequent references to "catcher's throwing lane" mean?
   2204. Morty Causa Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:25 PM (#5593475)
This investigation is about Get Trump. It's about nothing else.

No, it's also homophobic.

And Homerphobic.
   2205. zenbitz Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:32 PM (#5593476)
This investigation is about Get Trump. It's about nothing else. And that's what the people cheering it on are cheering for.

Sure, yeah, Kinda. I would go 100% if it was being managed by a Democratic congress. But to the extent that it's a political power play - it's one managed by the GOPe and I say "have at it". I mean, there is literally no universe in which Donald Trump is a going to be an effective or reasonable leader of the US, so I am not really seeing the downside. I mean, yeah, a Congress of the opposing party can investigate the bejeezus out a president (see, e.g., the Clintons) - but that ship has sailed.

It's kind of like ######## over Senators blocking judicial appointments -- or filibusters in general -- Is it a fantastic demonstration of Democracy in action? Not really, no. But I am withhold outrage for things that are actually... you know... outrageous.

2206. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:33 PM (#5593477)

There was a discussion on another thread. About baseball. (Try not to fall down in shock.) There was a play where a catcher received a pitch with a runner on third. He lazily threw the ball back at the pitcher (not "to the pitcher," per se.) The throw back hit the batter's bat and ricocheted into no man's land on the infield grass. The runner from third broke for home and scored. The umpires correctly ruled the play legal and live, and the runner safe on the advanced base. Ray insisted in the debate afterwards that there existed such a thing as a "catcher's throwing lane," even though no such thing exists in baseball rules or traditionally in it's history, and that the ball should have been dead because the batter's bat was "in the catcher's throwing lane" when it the throw back hit it.

It was a classic Ray moment.
   2207. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:35 PM (#5593479)
From this game. Ray believes the Jays got screwed on that play because Choo was violating the mythic "catchers throwing lane" by standing in the batters box getting ready for the next pitch. Now matter how many time he was told that he completely made the concept up out of whole cloth, he refused to believe that catchers throwing lanes do not, in fact, exist.
   2208. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:41 PM (#5593481)
From this game. Ray believes the Jays got screwed on that play because Choo was violating the mythic "catchers throwing lane" by standing in the batters box getting ready for the next pitch. Now matter how many time he was told that he completely made the concept up out of whole cloth, he refused to believe that catchers throwing lanes do not, in fact, exist.

Ray's argument, for what it's worth, is that Choo's post pitch process of extending his bat out to arm's length interferes with the "catcher's throwing lane" by default. This is not how the rules are written, nor how the game has been officiated since inception. You can tell that from the clip, in that Harold Reynolds, the ex-player, is the first guy on the announcing squad to say "no, no, no, that ball's live."
   2209. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:42 PM (#5593483)
Now matter how many time he was told that he completely made the concept up out of whole cloth, he refused to believe that catchers throwing lanes do not, in fact, exist.

I believe his final position was that there should be catchers throwing lanes even if the rules don't currently provide for them.
   2210. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:44 PM (#5593486)
Final? As in "still"?
   2211. stig-tossled, hornswoggled gef the typing mongoose Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:45 PM (#5593487)
IOW, Ray knows baseball about as well as he knows everything else. One hopes patent law is an exception.
   2212. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:46 PM (#5593488)
Final? As in "still"?

I don't know that any of us quiz him on it these days. We just use it as a general Ray-being-Ray bullet point of absurdity.
   2213. -- Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:49 PM (#5593490)
And yet someone who believes in catchers' throwing lanes is far more sane and far less deranged than the vast majority of the rest of the board.

Go figure.
   2214. Traderdave Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:51 PM (#5593491)
There are times I feel sorry for Ray. It's pretty clear that he's somewhere on the autism spectrum. That can make life life difficult and spawns many feelings of alienation & insecurity. I have a family member with autism and it's hard.

But he's just such a tool that it's easy to get over the pity.
   2215. Morty Causa Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:51 PM (#5593492)
This investigation is about Get Trump. It's about nothing else. And that's what the people cheering it on are cheering for.

You mean that Trump's own Justice dept and the Republican Congress and all those intelligence communities are out to get him?

If so, so what? That's politics, and politicians and their minions will go where they smell blood. It's not like this attitude was specially invented for Trump.

And, again, Mueller, was appointed under a specific mandate, however broad that mandate is. Now, it is for his critics to show he is working outside that mandate. Whether you think--even whether there is indeed--something else behind that impelling the investigation and the investigator is neither here nor there. That's the way it goes with the broad powers and perquisites of a prosecutor. A prosecutor can personally dislike you. He may even be prosecuting you when he wouldn't someone else. That does not matter. The point is, is he investigating according to law and does the case he bring pass muster under the law?
   2216. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:55 PM (#5593496)
You mean that Trump's own Justice dept and the Republican Congress and all those intelligence communities are out to get him?

You have to understand, Trumpkins take the Dubya "if you're not for us, you're against us" theory to it's absolute maximum volume. The FBI and pols driving the investigation are complicit, not because they're Democrats (as you say, they're Republicans more or less to a man), but because they're members of the "Deep State" that secretly rules over the entire national structure, regardless of party. You're underselling the level of conspiracy nut at play here.
   2217. BrianBrianson Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:55 PM (#5593497)
The investigation is about getting whoever collaborated with the Russians. A lot of people assume that's Trump (partially partisan bias, but he certainly acts how he would act if he were collaborating with the Russians), so they think of the investigation as get Trump. But they're yokels mouthing off on a message board, and of no consequence. Whatever - if it turns out Tillerson, or Jared, whoever, is the real villain - well, then it's good we're having an investigation.
   2218. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:57 PM (#5593498)
There are times I feel sorry for Ray. It's pretty clear that he's somewhere on the autism spectrum.
Can we please retire this meme? It's inappropriate in just about every dimension.

I'll call specific Ray arguments stupid as I see them. I may or may not be correct in that. Keyboard diagnoses of any kind are silly.
   2219. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:58 PM (#5593500)
Today's important judicial branch news - newly confirmed 5th Circuit Judge Don Willett is tweeting again after mostly maintaining radio silence since his nomination.
   2220. Morty Causa Posted: December 15, 2017 at 04:59 PM (#5593501)

Well, they are nevertheless done all the time here. Yes, even by Ray.
   2221. -- Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:00 PM (#5593503)
Can we please retire this meme? It's inappropriate in just about every dimension.

It's kind of embarrassing, actually, that someone would respond to someone better informed and more rational than they by claiming the better informed and more rational person is on the autism spectrum. It's kind of like tipping over the Risk table when you're down to one country and two armies -- only like twenty times douchier.

2222. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:02 PM (#5593505)
Ray isn't autistic. He's just an idiot half the time.
   2223. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:05 PM (#5593506)
For those of you scoring at home, Dancing Monkey #1a just offered a spirited defense of Dancing Monkey #4. This squad has cohesion, if nothing else!
   2224. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:05 PM (#5593507)
Today's important judicial branch news - newly confirmed 5th Circuit Judge Don Willett is tweeting again after mostly maintaining radio silence since his nomination.

From this we learn that 1) Clapper can't embed a link that works and 2) he gets his news from Legal Insurrection.
   2225. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:06 PM (#5593508)

One more thing JE and Clapper have in common beside a refusal to acknowledge the moral rot within their party: Their links often lead to nowhere. Which is probably just as well.
   2226. Omineca Greg Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:07 PM (#5593509)

Seconded.
   2227. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:08 PM (#5593510)
It's kind of embarrassing, actually, that someone would respond to someone better informed and more rational than they by claiming the better informed and more rational person
Actually, I'd be more embarrassed to be vouched for by the provider of the objectively least sane content on the board. Readers of this modern decline space making this up very much unhinged agree. But holster away! It's quite a good look.
   2228. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:09 PM (#5593511)
One more thing JE and Clapper have in common beside a refusal to acknowledge the moral rot within their party: Their links often lead to nowhere.

He failed to trim the referrer cookie out of the Twitter link. He clicked a link from Legal Insurrection, which took him to the Twitter feed, but which appended his URL with the referrer cookie. He then copy and pasted the Twitter URL plus the cookie into Jim's magic link machine button, which fails, because the referrer cookie isn't resolvable.

The take away here is that we now have more insight into where Clapper gets some subset of his judicial/ideological talking points.
   2229. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:16 PM (#5593514)
There was a discussion on another thread. About baseball. (Try not to fall down in shock.) There was a play where a catcher received a pitch with a runner on third. He lazily threw the ball back at the pitcher (not "to the pitcher," per se.) The throw back hit the batter's bat and ricocheted into no man's land on the infield grass. The runner from third broke for home and scored. The umpires correctly ruled the play legal and live, and the runner safe on the advanced base. Ray insisted in the debate afterwards that there existed such a thing as a "catcher's throwing lane," even though no such thing exists in baseball rules or traditionally in it's history, and that the ball should have been dead because the batter's bat was "in the catcher's throwing lane" when it the throw back hit it.

To clarify, I agreed from the first night that the umpires applied the rules correctly. I was simply advocating for a rules change. Why that got people so bothered that they can't let it go years after the fact is anyone's guess.
   2230. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:17 PM (#5593515)
For those who may have more interest in Judge Willett's twitter feed than my copying and pasting skills. It's rather amazing what a link fail will do to some of the crazies here.
   2231. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5593516)

To clarify, I agreed that I completely made the concept up out of whole cloth. That was the whole "advocating a rules change" thing. Why that got people so bothered that they can't let it go years after the fact is anyone's guess.
   2232. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:18 PM (#5593517)
I was simply advocating for a rules change.

Perhaps because you argued your position so poorly that literally no one could ascertain that you were arguing for a rule change, rather than arguing that such a thing as the "catcher's throwing lane" actually existed.

EDIT: We "can't let it go for years" simply because it's funny, and like it or not, it's a pretty good anecdote to drop as shorthand for "Ray is being Ray again."
   2233. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:20 PM (#5593518)
Ray's argument, for what it's worth, is that Choo's post pitch process of extending his bat out to arm's length interferes with the "catcher's throwing lane" by default. This is not how the rules are written, nor how the game has been officiated since inception. You can tell that from the clip, in that Harold Reynolds, the ex-player, is the first guy on the announcing squad to say "no, no, no, that ball's live."

To clarify, I agreed from the first night that the umpires applied the rules correctly. I was simply advocating for a rules change. Why that got people so bothered that they can't let it go years after the fact is anyone's guess.

I'll keep repeating this point as many times as the issue comes up if I have to, because the myth has taken hold that I thought the rules provided for a catcher's throwing lane. I did not. I was advocating for a rules change.
   2234. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:23 PM (#5593520)
I'll keep repeating this point as many times as the issue comes up if I have to, because the myth has taken hold that I thought the rules provided for a catcher's throwing lane. I did not. I was advocating for a rules change.

Why so serious, Ray.
   2235. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:27 PM (#5593523)
Gosh, that really seems like stereotypy. Not that I’d be qualified to make such a diagnosis, lacking a law degree and all.
   2236. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:34 PM (#5593526)
Why so serious, Ray.

I don't know that I'm so "serious" but as ever people tell lies about me and then the lies take hold to add to the myth about me.

I said from the very first night that the call was correct. To be sure, I initially said a few times that the call was wrong (because the announcers read the wrong rule at first), but I corrected myself that night. Then for the rest of the discussion, which IIRC stretched on for days, I simply advocated for a rules change.

And yet because some people here are lying scum they lied and said I was insisting all along that the call was wrong and that "catcher throwing lanes" were provided for in the rules. That's a lie; I was advocating for a rules change. But now the myth is firmly implanted that I insisted all along that the call was wrong and that the rules provide for catcher's throwing lanes. So whenever people snark "catcher's throwing lanes" they're perpetuating a myth, which stems from a lie.
   2237. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:36 PM (#5593528)
Another step forward for women's equality - Kansas Dem Andrea Ramsey Drops Out Of House Race After Sexual Harassment Alegation:
Andrea Ramsey, a Democratic candidate for Congress, will drop out of the race after the Kansas City Star asked her about accusations in a 2005 lawsuit that she sexually harassed and retaliated against a male subordinate who said he had rejected her advances.

Still may have some ground to make up.
   2238. -- Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:51 PM (#5593534)
The obvious dynamic here is that OTP has become essentially a Trump Derangement Syndrome support group, and a few of us have crashed it. It's the functional equivalent of us talking sanity at an AA meeting. The people at the meeting don't want sanity, they want therapy -- and the opportunity to vent among like minds is their therapy.

So it is here. Ray is "autistic" and "robotic" in the same way as a sober guy at AA who wonders out loud why some guy at the meeting actually had to go on that work bender over the lunch hour. Of course the drunks are going to perceive the sober guy that way.
   2239. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 05:53 PM (#5593535)
I don't know that I'm so "serious" but as ever people tell lies about me and then the lies take hold to add to the myth about me.

This is the internet, Ray. Just today Srul referenced the "stab them in the neck" meme about me. #### happens, man.
   2240. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 06:04 PM (#5593536)
Show some humility Ray. For crissakes.
   2241. Greg K Posted: December 15, 2017 at 06:17 PM (#5593539)
What I always found interesting about the Russell Martin/Choo play was that Martin really, really, really wanted to pick the runner (Odor?) off third. The whole reason he hit Choo's bat was that Martin was literally not looking where he was throwing the ball. He was looking down the third base line while throwing the ball back the to pitcher.

I think Martin immediately knew the whole mess was on him, and that he had quite possibly cost the Jays the series.

There's a great shot in the aftermath of Bautista's home run that saved the day soon after. All the Jays are running around hugging each other, and Russell Martin just pops into the frame with his hands pressed together thanking God that he's not the goat.
   2242. Greg K Posted: December 15, 2017 at 06:20 PM (#5593540)
The obvious dynamic here is that OTP has become essentially a Trump Derangement Syndrome support group, and a few of us have crashed it. It's the functional equivalent of us talking sanity at an AA meeting. The people at the meeting don't want sanity, they want therapy -- and the opportunity to vent among like minds is their therapy.

So it is here. Ray is "autistic" and "robotic" in the same way as a sober guy at AA who wonders out loud why some guy at the meeting actually had to go on that work bender over the lunch hour. Of course the drunks are going to perceive the sober guy that way.

Well it's a nice narrative, but weren't people calling Ray autistic at a similar rate during the Obama administration?

It's not exactly a recent development.

I'd vote for it to cease as well, but as we established earlier, votes from Canada don't count.
   2243. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 15, 2017 at 06:26 PM (#5593541)
For those who may have more interest in Judge Willett's twitter feed than my copying and pasting skills. It's rather amazing what a link fail will do to some of the crazies here.

Yeah, there's no surer sign of craziness than pointing out that a link doesn't work.

But I see it got you to correct it, which enables people to actually see what your point was in posting the link, which I guess was something about God's 3-point range, or how great his sainted Mom is. Profound stuff.
   2244. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 15, 2017 at 06:28 PM (#5593542)
This is the internet, Ray. Just today Srul referenced the "stab them in the neck" meme about me. #### happens, man.

And I'm still in therapy from all those vicious ageist comments.
   2245. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: December 15, 2017 at 06:30 PM (#5593543)
And I'm still in therapy from all those vicious ageist comments.

don't worry, you'll forget them soon.
   2246. SteveF Posted: December 15, 2017 at 06:59 PM (#5593546)
He failed to trim the referrer cookie out of the Twitter link.

I always spoof mine to the nytimes.com
   2247. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 07:01 PM (#5593547)
Yeah, there's no surer sign of craziness than pointing out that a link doesn't work. But I see it got you to correct it, which enables people to actually see what your point was in posting the link, which I guess was something about God's 3-point range, or how great his sainted Mom is. Profound stuff.

You must have missed the resident loon's effort to play link police, as if an Ivy League Law Professor's blawg was an inappropriate source. But I will certainly agree that Judge Willett's twitter feed is innocuous, although mildly amusing. However, that innocuous twitter feed caused every Democratic Senator who voted to oppose his confirmation. They made an embarrassingly lame effort to make something out of Willett's pro-bacon & A-Rod mocking tweets - 2 of thousands of tweets - egged on by the special interest groups that you so often cite on judicial confirmation issues. PRO TIP: Those groups don't believe half the stuff they put out, neither should you.
   2248. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2017 at 07:33 PM (#5593551)
Ivy League Law Professor's blawg
Clapper would love everyone to believe the story ends there. He doesn't refer to him by name because anyone who has spent two minutes reading anything by William Jacobson knows he's a first class loon, and he seems to think people will believe that first class loons don't get professorships at Ivy League schools. Of course, he doesn't apply that same standard to others, like say a certain senator from Massachusetts. Never stop being a shameless hack, Clapper.
   2249. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 07:45 PM (#5593552)
As usual, Shredder doesn't know what he's talking about, but that never stops him from ad hominem insults & name-calling. Professor Jacobson writes mostly on 1st Amendment and academic issues, and I didn't mention him by name because like most law professors he has minuscule name recognition, but there's nothing loony about him. Folks here regularly link to the likes of Daily Kos and Vox, and then carp about about where I found a link to Willett's renewed twitter feed. The error of this criticism is only exceeded by its pettiness. Typical Shredder.
   2250. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2017 at 07:53 PM (#5593553)
Daily Kos and Vox, and then carp about about where I found a link to Willett's renewed twitter feed.
And then folks like you and Jason immediately dismiss them as partisan, perhaps rightly so*. But you're a hypocrite with no sense of shame, so I realize none of that fazes you.

*Jason, is of course the undisputed king of criticizing others for linking to partisan sources, before and after dropping countless links to the Washinton Examiner, Daily Caller, and Washington Free Beacon. Clapper can only aspire to Jason's shamelessness.
   2251. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 15, 2017 at 07:55 PM (#5593554)
As usual, Shredder doesn't know what he's talking about, but that never stops him from ad hominem insults & name-calling.

You mean like this?

It's rather amazing what a link fail will do to some of the crazies here.

or this?
And yet because some people here are lying scum

or this?
The obvious dynamic here is that OTP has become essentially a Trump Derangement Syndrome support group

2252. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:01 PM (#5593555)
Yes, Andy, the hypocrisy dripping from Clapper's posts is rank indeed.
   2253. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:01 PM (#5593556)
What can you expect from a Dancing Monkey?
   2254. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:16 PM (#5593558)
I'm sure those who follow this thread closely will note that two-thirds of the material Andy quotes in #2251 didn't come from me (the two block quoted items). Undoubtedly he has an "interesting" justification" for his unusual editorial decision.
   2255. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:20 PM (#5593559)
You mean like this?

or this?

or this?

The obvious dynamic here is that OTP has become essentially a Trump Derangement Syndrome support group

Umm, I wrote the second one, and SBB wrote the third.
   2256. zenbitz Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:25 PM (#5593560)
dupe
   2257. zenbitz Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:29 PM (#5593561)

Thirded (Fourthed?). As long as we can still call him a robot. :) At least until Robots get rights.
   2258. greenback slays lewks Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:32 PM (#5593562)
I'd vote for it to cease as well, but as we established earlier, votes from Canada don't count.

George Soros will be happy to put you on a bus to Indiana next November, and then your vote will count 30 times.
   2259. BDC Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:38 PM (#5593564)
CDC gets list of forbidden words:

The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in any official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of “science-based” or “evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,” the person said. In other cases, no replacement words were immediately offered.

Not entirely new: Randy Shilts famously documented similar political pressure on the CDC in the early days of AIDS research. The last item I quote there is ominous if predictable: we aren't supposed to base science on facts, in the Trump universe, but on our wishes. Let's all just wish we don't get sick.
   2260. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:42 PM (#5593567)
I'm sure those who follow this thread closely will note that two-thirds of the material Andy quotes in #2251 didn't come from me (the two block quoted items).

So you admit to using language you then criticize in others. Well some others, since you don't object to it from Ray and SBB. Interesting choices indeed.
   2261. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 15, 2017 at 08:45 PM (#5593568)
Does Doug Jones's win portend a wave election like Scott Brown's did in 2010?

That margin exceeds the +8 advantage David Wasserman at Cook Political Report has estimated Democrats need to win back the House in 2018.

Other indicators of course include Democratic v. Republican enthusiasm and Donald Trump's popularity, which is not only tanking nationally but sat at a stunning 48-48 approve/disapprove among Alabama voters according to exit polls, with only 32 percent saying they "strongly approve" of him while 41 percent said they "strongly disapprove."

2262. Srul Itza Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:03 PM (#5593572)
There are times I feel sorry for Ray. It's pretty clear that he's somewhere on the autism spectrum. That can make life life difficult and spawns many feelings of alienation & insecurity. I have a family member with autism and it's hard.

But he's just such a tool that it's easy to get over the pity.

This is comedy, right?

It is trolling. It is magnificent trolling. He NEVER breaks character.

Anyone who saw The Prestige will appreciate the art involved.
   2263. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:07 PM (#5593574)

Oh, Clappy, you glorious venereal disease of a waste of flesh. The point, of course, was two fold. First, that you're an incompetent buffoon who can't even use the goddamned easy-button controls Jim gives you to paste a link. And second, that your ineptitude with the linking revealed you source, which is as lunatic fringe ass Jason shoves his head wholely into these days. Which, of course, is not news. You're a hack. Everyone knows you're a hack. I'm just pointing out your tells occasionally.
   2264. Srul Itza Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:08 PM (#5593575)
I was simply advocating for a rules change.

Fake News. Sad.
   2265. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:17 PM (#5593576)
Poor pathetic Sam can't do substance so he continually embarrasses himself - if he had any self-awareness - with insults & name-calling that would be lame on even a middle-school playground. And his lapdog Bitter Mouse thinks (#2260) it's beyond the pale to refer to Sam as one of the crazies? You guys aren't doing very well tonight, and lately do nothing but talk of other posters.
   2266. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:25 PM (#5593577)
Mocking idiots is fair. I understand why you'd object, Dancing Monkey #1.
   2267. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:27 PM (#5593578)
DC gets list of forbidden words:
Obviously. Everyone knows those words are all doubleplusungood.
   2268. Shredder Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:30 PM (#5593579)
And his lapdog Bitter Mouse thinks (#2260) it's beyond the pale to refer to Sam as one of the crazies?
Remember Sam and Mouse. We're the only ones who deal in ad-hominem and name calling. No way is Clapper a hypocrite of the highest order.
   2269. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:43 PM (#5593582)
Remember Sam and Mouse. We're the only ones who deal in ad-hominem and name calling.

Hey I was told that is all I do lately. Which is ... ummmm ... not exactly true. Today I have participated in multiple different discussions today - love me some printing press - and linked to several articles. Maybe Clapper doesn't read what is posted.

Come to think of it that does make some sense.
   2270. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: December 15, 2017 at 09:43 PM (#5593583)
Oddly enough, my son was 12 when he asked me why people in the Star Wars universe counted so funny. I asked what he meant, and he said, well, their numbering system goes 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 3.9, 8, 3.5, 9...

That's nothing compared to how people count in this universe!
1, 2, 3, 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10...
   2271. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM (#5593585)

If they wanted -- and if you folks were interested in -- an actual fact-finding commission just to learn generally about Russian interference, it would have been similar to the 9/11 commission. And in fact it should have been.
False dichotomy. There is no requirement that one choose between fact-finding and a criminal investigation. The federal government is capable of doing both.
Putting people under oath and charging them with crimes to get them to flip on people above them, all when the thing they're looking for (collusion with Russia) isn't a crime,
This is incoherent on so many levels. Arguing that conspiring with an enemy of the country to fix an election is not a crime is pathetic to begin with, but if in fact it isn't a crime, then how can the person who did it be "flipped on" in the first place?
is a witch hunt and is unAmerican.
Yeah, it's the exact opposite of both those things.
It's banana republic type stuff, investigating the winners of an election.
Setting aside your continued stupidity of making the claim that Trump is being investigated for winning, there is literally no banana republic ever where the winner of an election was investigated. You have once again said something which is the opposite of true. In banana republics, the loser of an election gets investigated, not the winner.<blockquote It's bad enough to be cheerleading this, but pretending that that's not what folks are cheerleading is not part of any serious discussion.</blockquote>It's bad enough that you're once again vocally supporting Trump, but... well, no, wait. That's just the bad part. There's nothing worse than that.
   2272. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM (#5593587)
It seems to really stick in your craw that I think Colbert's usage of cockholster was homophobic.
I think it more sticks in people's craw that you're making such an obviously insincere argument.
   2273. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM (#5593590)
The latest to be accused of sexual misconduct - Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA):
Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.) on Friday denied an allegation that he sexually harassed a staffer in 2013. M. Reese Everson, a former Congressional Black Caucus Foundation fellow, alleged earlier Friday that Scott touched her inappropriately, propositioned her for sex and wrongfully terminated her in 2013.

Scott was widely considered the leading candidate, and lobbied heavily, to fill the remainder of Tim Kaine's Senate term back when every living Democrat assumed Hillary would be easily elected, making Kaine the VP.
   2274. Lassus Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:28 PM (#5593593)
The Last Jedi: A-. Great fun, great ending, first act meandered a bit more than I would have liked, maybe some of the humor a bit stale, but by the time you were halfway through you rather forgot any of that.
   2275. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:28 PM (#5593594)
I'm sure those who follow this thread closely will note that two-thirds of the material Andy quotes in #2251 didn't come from me (the two block quoted items). Undoubtedly he has an "interesting" justification" for his unusual editorial decision.

Of course I know that, and of course I was quoting three different people, but what of it? The three of you are all alike in your beyond comical hypocrisy. Christ, if there were an Olympic competition for passive aggression, you'd win more gold medals over your career than Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps put together, with your smarmy little hypocritical protests against the same sort of ad hominem attacks that you engage in yourself on a metronomic basis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean like this?

or this?

or this?

Umm, I wrote the second one, and SBB wrote the third.

What, you think I didn't know the first two and could have inferred the third?

And yet the three of you are also constantly whining about name calling. Which is fine, but it's a bit like Trump whining about Fake News.
   2276. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM (#5593595)
It doesn't stick in my craw. I find Dancing Monkeys entertaining.
   2277. PepTech, the Legendary Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:33 PM (#5593597)
Ray, by your own standards you are lying scum for insisting that "all the lefties" want Trump impeached.

Those aren't *my* standards. But if you're going to get all uppity about liars, you should be able to take what you dish out.
   2278. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:38 PM (#5593599)
Guys, you don’t have to respond to Ray’s posts when he makes arguments in bad faith.
   2279. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:38 PM (#5593600)
Of course I know that, and of course I was quoting three different people, but what of it? The three of you are all alike in your beyond comical hypocrisy. Christ, if there were an Olympic competition for passive aggression, you'd win more gold medals over your career than Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps put together, with your smarmy little hypocritical protests against the same sort of ad hominem attacks that you engage in yourself on a metronomic basis.

It's quite easy to quote multiple people indicating who said what, but Andy deliberately chose not to do so, implying that I said things that I didn't, in an attempt to score some rhetorical points. I don't think many people here do that, much less defend it after being called on it. Over the years many people have responded to the silly things Andy said, but to the best of my knowledge no one ever tried to put another poster's words in his mouth, and then insisted that was an appropriate after it was pointed out. Sad.
   2280. Lassus Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:40 PM (#5593602)
Well, I see Jason's chosen one folded like a cardboard Titanic.
   2281. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:49 PM (#5593607)
DC gets list of forbidden words:
I've spent a lot of time working around medical research (as a medical librarian) -- the idea that medical researchers can't use the phrase "evidence-based" is insane. The growth of evidence-based medicine has been one of the most important developments in the field in the last thirty years, maybe the most important development. Anyone opposed to using that phrase without any meaningful justification is in essence coming out in favor of increasing ignorance, suffering, and death.
   2282. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:51 PM (#5593608)

Well, that's not really accurate. It is true that unlike Andy you typically do not keep saying something over and over again after being proven wrong,¹ and so eventually you did concede that the play was called correctly and argued for a rule change. But you were not "simply advocating for" a rule change; from the beginning, and even after your concession about the rules, you kept claiming that there actually was such a thing as a "catcher's throwing lane" that Choo had stuck his bat in. Not that there should be such a thing, but that there was such a thing.

¹ Though you have been very Andy-like in that way in your defense of Trump.
   2283. Jay Z Posted: December 15, 2017 at 10:53 PM (#5593609)
Any chance Trump's tax cut for himself could be made subject to the 27th amendment? Funny how quickly that cause has been forgotten.
   2284. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:00 PM (#5593610)
It's quite easy to quote multiple people indicating who said what, but Andy deliberately chose not to do so, implying that I said things that I didn't, in an attempt to score some rhetorical points. I don't think many people here do that, much less defend it after being called on it. Over the years many people have responded to the silly things Andy said, but to the best of my knowledge no one ever tried to put another poster's words in his mouth, and then insisted that was an appropriate after it was pointed out. Sad.

Oh, you poor, suffering martyr. The cruelties that we inflict on you! Maybe one of these years you'll own up to your hypocrisy in whining about ad hominen attacks when you (and Ray) repeatedly engage in them yourself,** but I'm not holding my breath.

** Not to mention always addressing the person you're responding to in the passive/aggressive, indirect manner, as if you were issuing some Papal edict or a Supreme Court decision. Is the word "you" even in your vocabulary?
   2285. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:12 PM (#5593612)
It is true that unlike Andy you typically do not keep saying something over and over again after being proven wrong

David, I've admitted errors more times around here than you and Ray and Clapper put together.** And when you're called on a rhetorical howler, you simply disappear or keep doubling down, like earlier today when you were comparing universal health care to a bottle of arsenic, or when you keep talking about taxes "stealing one's life". It's all very amusing, and it's part of your deep well of charm, but don't pretend you hold yourself to any imperial standard of rhetorical behavior.

** Which really means just you alone, since Ray's back down from his absurdities about 3 times in 10 years, and Clapper might be out-apologized by Trump.
   2286. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:12 PM (#5593613)
Not to mention always addressing the person you're responding to in the passive/aggressive, indirect manner, as if you were issuing some Papal edict or a Supreme Court decision. Is the word "you" even in your vocabulary?

I'm not talking just to you. I'm pointing out to all who read the thread that you deliberately chose to quote from multiple posters without identifying who said what in an attempt to make it look like I said things I didn't. Poor form, and continuing to defend such actions is a considerable departure from the norm here. You know that, but obviously you don't care. Direct enough?
   2287. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM (#5593617)
Angry Dancing Monkey #1 is entertaining!
   2288. Joe Bivens is NOT a clueless numpty Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:24 PM (#5593618)
Getting back to the catchers throwing lane nonsense, the only way a catchers throw hitting the batter's bat would be interference is if the batter intentionally put the bat in front of the throw. And anyone who would argue interference in instances where it wasn't obvious is a moron, so, yeah, I could see Ray causing lots of eyeballs to roll over his failing to admit contact was incidental.
   2289. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:39 PM (#5593620)
The Last Jedi: A-. Great fun, great ending, first act meandered a bit more than I would have liked, maybe some of the humor a bit stale, but by the time you were halfway through you rather forgot any of that.

D. It wasn't just bad, it was boring. It wasn't episode 1 bad, but it was the least interesting Star Wars movie to date. There were basically 2 redeemable moments in the 2.5 hour movie. I won't discuss them out of respect for those who do not like spoilers. Much of the movie was pointless, and the plot devices exceedingly implausible. Frankly I couldn't wait for it to end.
   2290. Lassus Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:47 PM (#5593621)
D. It wasn't just bad, it was boring. It wasn't episode 1 bad, but it was the least interesting Star Wars movie to date. There were basically 2 redeemable moments in the 2.5 hour movie. I won't discuss them out of respect for those who do not like spoilers. Much of the movie was pointless, and the plot devices exceedingly implausible. Frankly I couldn't wait for it to end.

Fan reaction is seriously all over the place, as per the large io9 comment thread.

You, on the other hand, have never sounded more like Ray. :-D
   2291. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:54 PM (#5593624)
Just my opinion man. I'd rank this one tied with episode 2 for second worst. It wasn't as bad on the merits, but less interesting.
   2292. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 15, 2017 at 11:58 PM (#5593626)
but less interesting.

Less Natalie Portman in an array of fetching outfits?
   2293. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 16, 2017 at 12:38 AM (#5593634)
I've spent a lot of time working around medical research (as a medical librarian) -- the idea that medical researchers can't use the phrase "evidence-based" is insane.

As indicated in the article linked in #2259, the limitations only apply to Budget Documents. Unless there is something more than what was reported, there shouldn't be any effect on medical researchers.
   2294. bookbook Posted: December 16, 2017 at 01:08 AM (#5593636)
As indicated in the article linked in #2259, the limitations only apply to Budget Documents. Unless there is something more than what was reported, there shouldn't be any effect on medical researchers.

Sure. Because keeping folks from communicating the value and necessity of items on budget documents won’t have any deleterious effects on what research gets the resources it needs.
   2295. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 16, 2017 at 01:16 AM (#5593637)

If they wanted -- and if you folks were interested in -- an actual fact-finding commission just to learn generally about Russian interference, it would have been similar to the 9/11 commission. And in fact it should have been.

False dichotomy. There is no requirement that one choose between fact-finding and a criminal investigation. The federal government is capable of doing both.

Right. And the fact that they chose this one -- and folks are cheering them on -- means that it's about Get Trump.

Really now, to deny that the cheerleaders of this are hoping Trump gets indicted or impeached or both is simply to deny that the sun rises in the east.

Putting people under oath and charging them with crimes to get them to flip on people above them, all when the thing they're looking for (collusion with Russia) isn't a crime,

This is incoherent on so many levels. Arguing that conspiring with an enemy of the country to fix an election is not a crime is pathetic to begin with, but if in fact it isn't a crime, then how can the person who did it be "flipped on" in the first place?

This is incoherent. See Flynn. He committed, from what we know so far, non-collusion crimes. And people here -- including you IIRC -- think that he may have implicated Trump in something in exchange for his plea deal.

2296. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 16, 2017 at 01:19 AM (#5593638)
The Last Jedi:

Promise?
   2297. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 16, 2017 at 01:25 AM (#5593639)
D. It wasn't just bad, it was boring. It wasn't episode 1 bad, but it was the least interesting Star Wars movie to date. There were basically 2 redeemable moments in the 2.5 hour movie. I won't discuss them out of respect for those who do not like spoilers.

I'm fine with spoilers for movies I won't see if I live to be 175, but others here may not like them.

I've not watched 5 minutes of this "franchise."
   2298. zenbitz Posted: December 16, 2017 at 01:44 AM (#5593641)
I forgot Ray didn't like Star Wars. It's like he was born 40 and only got more curmudgeonly from there.
   2299. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: December 16, 2017 at 06:00 AM (#5593648)
Anyone opposed to using that phrase without any meaningful justification is in essence coming out in favor of increasing ignorance, suffering, and death.

'In favor of increasing ignorance, suffering and death', sounds like the perfect tagline for the modern republican party.
   2300. Morty Causa Posted: December 16, 2017 at 06:41 AM (#5593650)
I have always thought that all medicine was evidence-based. If it wasn't, it was something in the nature of a nostrum or folk remedy. But I see that the phrase is something of a term of art.
Page 23 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 21 22 23 24 25 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.