Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 11, 2017

OTP 11 December, 2017 - GOP strategist: Moore would have ‘date with a baseball bat’ if he tried dating teens where I grew up

“I grew up in Mississippi. Every father I knew, if he saw a guy like Roy Moore in his 30s trying to date his 16-year-old daughter, he would have had a date with a baseball bat,” Stevens, a former aide to Mitt Romney’s campaign, said on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360.”

Stevens, who worked on former Alabama Gov. Bob Riley’s (R) primary campaign against Moore in 2006, said Moore has violated the “decency standard” of civil society in his previous alleged pursuit of teenage girls.

(As always, views expressed in the article lede and comments are the views of the individual commenters and the submitter of the article and do not represent the views of Baseball Think Factory or its owner.)

Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 11, 2017 at 08:53 AM | 2653 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bats, bats are afraid, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 27 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 25 26 27
   2601. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM (#5594326)

Even then, since the whole rest of the world believes in global warming, our denial of it makes us look like idiots and puts us out of step with the rest of the world.

So what? This is 'MURICA! We don't need none o' them sissy countries' support!

"Listen: 'dis ain't England! We t'rew England outta here a long time ago! We don't want no more part of England and for YOUR information, England is a FAG country!" -- A. Bunker, 1971
   2602. Shredder Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM (#5594327)
He's a big Free Beacon fan, too. But don't post anything from Talking Points Memo, because Jason doesn't want anything to do with your left wing biased sources!
   2603. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:34 AM (#5594329)
The other problem with the logic is that global warming takes decades or centuries to make the difference of a pimple on an elephant's ass.

Is this your professional opinion as a lawyer?
   2604. Stormy JE Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM (#5594332)
BTW, a belated Coke Zero Sugar to David for posting the Politico piece yesterday.
   2605. Stormy JE Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:37 AM (#5594334)
He's a big Free Beacon fan, too. But don't post anything from Talking Points Memo, because Jason doesn't want anything to do with your left wing biased sources!
Shredded! Hey, thanks for the reminder, pal...

New York Times claims Obama only told 18 falsehoods during his whole presidency. Here are 18 he told in selling Obamacare in 2009 alone

EDIT: One more Coke Zero Sugar to David. Of course, that only means he owes me two less sodas than before. :)
   2606. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:38 AM (#5594335)

No man is an island, except Ray. Ray is totally an island. He doesn't need other countries and doesn't care about their wars, famines, refugee crises or anything. None of that could possible impact his life at all. Just ask him.
   2607. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:38 AM (#5594336)
The senate is not "slow rolling" Jones; he can't be seated until he is formally declared the winner, which doesn't happen until the state certifies the election results.

Sure. And if you think Mitch McConnell is going to seat him and give him Luther Strange's vote on the Donor Bailout Act of 2018, while John McCain is too sick to vote as well... You don't actually think that, so never mind.
   2608. PepTech Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:38 AM (#5594337)
Right in one! (heh)Concessions accepted...Sad!
No, not sad! It was a joke! See, "right"? National Review is *conservative*? Oh, never mind. No one here understands humor anyway.
   2609. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM (#5594338)
New York Times claims Obama only told 18 falsehoods during his whole presidency. Here are 18 he told in selling Obamacare in 2009 alone

The discussed that days ago. Also, if the Times had used the standards for lying the Examiner uses for Obama, Trump would *literally* have never said a true statement.
   2610. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM (#5594339)

Truth teller!
   2611. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM (#5594346)

I know you wrote this sarcastically, but this is the exact attitude that makes Trump as popular as he is. There's a lot of people out there who hate globalism. Support of globalism used to be bipartisan; Trump won the nomination in large part by bucking that trend.
   2612. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM (#5594348)
No amount of "global warming" will turn the US into a poverty-stricken rioting nation. But it may contribute to the poverty and unrest in these other areas. Why? Because these countries have major problems to begin with.

This is an awfully naive and parochial position. A stable world is very much in the US national security interest. If global warming increases the instability in countries with large populations and some armed with nuclear weapons, it is very much against the national security interest. You position is akin to Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake." It's fine as a personal philosophical ethos, but as Marie found out, it's #### policy.
   2613. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM (#5594349)
Let me guess: Is this from National Review

Right in one! (heh)

Concessions accepted. Andy rarely attempts to challenge the substance of what I post. Sad!

When the "substance" consists of little more than yet another kill-the-messenger rant from one of your typical right wing sources,** the only proper response is amusement.

But maybe you can use your alumni status as NR's sportswriter to arrange a debate between Rubin and one of NR's many critics of her. You can then give us the unedited transcript of this debate for everyone's edification.

** Which as usual, you don't identify along with the parts you paste.
   2614. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM (#5594350)
Again, your reaction to Trump is at best, "Yes, everything you say about Trump is true, but so what? Why should I care?"

I didn't vote for Trump or support him. I've said many times that if forced to choose I'd have voted for Trump over Hillary, because it was time for Clintonism to come to an end, and also because the left's tactics of pushing their culture onto society by smearing people as bigots who disagreed with them had gotten quite ugly and thus it was time for them to be carrying on with their pathetic nonsense from the sidelines, at least as far as the presidency was concerned. But thankfully in our system I wasn't forced to choose; I could abstain.

Trump is Trump and brings a circus, but actually his accomplishments during his first year -- if you strip away the circus and just focus on the nuts and bolts of policy accomplishments -- were pretty bog standard hard right, even though people like David laughably claimed that Trump couldn't be relied on to deliver what he had promised to the hard right. (Watching people like Ben Shapiro claim that Trump wouldn't keep his promise to nominate a conservative judge was high comedy indeed. People just don't understand the man.)
   2615. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM (#5594358)

I know you wrote this sarcastically, but this is the exact attitude that makes Trump as popular as he is. There's a lot of people out there who hate globalism. Support of globalism used to be bipartisan; Trump won the nomination in large part by bucking that trend.

Humor is humor because there's a kernel of truth in it. Usually, anyway.
   2616. Shredder Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:02 PM (#5594361)
No better expert at finding a lie than noted liar Phil Klein. Though I'm willing to believe he was too stupid to realize he was lying when he lied about the Kaiser Foundation report a couple years ago. It took the intelligence of a 7th grader to understand it, so he may not have been up to snuff.
   2617. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM (#5594365)
Again, your reaction to Trump is at best, "Yes, everything you say about Trump is true, but so what? Why should I care?"

I didn't vote for Trump or support him. I've said many times that if forced to choose I'd have voted for Trump over Hillary,

Which only reinforces my point. I'd say "concession accepted", but I don't want to be sent a royalty invoice.

Trump is Trump and brings a circus, but actually his accomplishments during his first year -- if you strip away the circus and just focus on the nuts and bolts of policy accomplishments -- were pretty bog standard hard right, even though people like David laughably claimed that Trump couldn't be relied on to deliver what he had promised to the hard right. (Watching people like Ben Shapiro claim that Trump wouldn't keep his promise to nominate a conservative judge was high comedy indeed. People just don't understand the man.)

And this reinforces it even more. So what if Trump's a serial liar, with no hint that he cares or even understands that facts matter? So what if he's a misogynist and sends out a dog whistle a day to the racist segment of his supporters? He delivered his promises to the hard right! That'll show David!
   2618. stig-tossled,hornswoggled gef the talking mongoose Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM (#5594366)
Almost refreshing to learn of a high-profile (in the sports media realm, I guess ... I don't think I've ever heard of the guy) resignation that isn't directly linked to allegations of sexual misconduct (or at least not yet, AFAIK).
   2619. Stormy JE Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM (#5594367)
When the "substance" consists of little more than yet another kill-the-messenger rant from one of your typical right wing sources,** the only proper response is amusement.
Thanks for demonstrating once again that your true beef is with conservatism/conservatarianism. Always has been, always will be.
   2620. Lassus Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:11 PM (#5594369)
A pretty bad Amtrak derailment occurred in the last 90 minutes between Seattle and Portland.

Eeek. I took that train more than a few times when I lived in Portland and Seattle.
   2621. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM (#5594372)
Thanks for demonstrating once again that your true beef is with conservatism.

Neither you nor your preferred sources are conservative. You, and they, are reactionary.
   2622. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM (#5594373)
A pretty bad Amtrak derailment occurred in the last 90 minutes between Seattle and Portland.

Statistically, this is likely more good people than Trump voters, so I'm sad.
   2623. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:18 PM (#5594376)

Statistically, this is likely more good people than Trump voters, so I'm sad.

Somehow, Hillary will get blamed...
   2624. Zonk prescribes Rezine for TDS Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:19 PM (#5594377)
Nothing makes for a better Christmas present than watching little Trumpkins grow into full Trumpkins as Mr. Never Been Especially Popular continues to breach new lows in approval.

I mean, while it wouldn't be such a lasting boon to team blue - I'd still prefer that a coalition of all stripes had rid the country of him.... but if it's gonna be a long-lasting orange stain that won't wash out, so be it. It's quite a consolation prize.
   2625. PepTech Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:21 PM (#5594379)
and also because the left's tactics of pushing their culture onto society by smearing people as bigots who disagreed with them
and also because the Trumpologist's tactics of pushing their culture onto society by smearing people as unhinged who disagreed with them

Yep, things are *so* much better now. MAGA.
   2626. Lassus Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:22 PM (#5594380)
Somehow, Hillary will get blamed...

Wasn't there some kind of massive infrastructure thing the Wrestlemania President was pushing, outside of the Wall?
   2627. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM (#5594381)
Inaugural trip:

Right before the bridge, there is a sizable curve in the track and it's believed that the train was going about 80mph at the time.

We had just passed the city of DuPont and it seemed like we were going around a curve,' Karnes said. 'All of a sudden, we felt this rocking and creaking noise, and it felt like we were heading down a hill. The next thing we know, we're being slammed into the front of our seats, windows are breaking, we stop, and there's water gushing out of the train. People were screaming.'

'The tracks for this line were supposed to be upgraded to be able to handle higher speeds,' he continued. 'I'm not sure what happened at this juncture.'

--

Alex Rozier, a King TV reporter, told NBC News that he got off the train about 10 minutes before the derailment, after taking footage early on in the inaugural trip.

He said there were many people on the train for its first trip, including many rail enthusiasts. Passengers were given commemorative lanyards for the journey.

The new service is supposed to make the journey between Portland and Seattle in 3 hours and 20 minutes, about 10 minutes faster than previous services.

2628. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:24 PM (#5594383)

Wasn't there some kind of massive infrastructure thing the Wrestlemania President was pushing, outside of the Wall?

I do seem to remember a big promise about that while he was standing in front of the Ohio River in Cincinnati...
   2629. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:24 PM (#5594384)
and also because the left's tactics of pushing their culture onto society

"Please stop killing us."

"WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO PUSH FOR YOU LEFTIST COMMUNIST AGENDA?!"
   2630. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM (#5594385)

There was a moment when he thought saying that would garner him praise and a few votes, so he said it. Which is about all that he's "for" outside of hating on Mexicans and black athletes. And Hillary.
   2631. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM (#5594386)

Inaugural trip:

What was the name of the train? The Titanic Express?
   2632. Ray (CTL) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM (#5594387)
I had no idea there were people who are "rail enthusiasts" and I'm over 40.
   2633. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5594392)

Thanks for demonstrating once again that your true beef is with conservatism/conservatarianism**. Always has been, always will be.

Given that "conservatism" these days amounts to little more than a weird hybrid of Tancredoism and Kochism, I guess I have to plead guilty once again.

**Oh, my, another new buzzword to learn. How long will it take for an ass-kicking Conservatarian to show up in a new line of automobiles? It'd fit right in with the Deliboy and the Titan Dump.
   2634. BrianBrianson Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM (#5594396)
It is indeed weird, as a big infrastructure program can be a great source of creating jobs/work, and corporate handouts. The Republican voters and donors each get something they want. It's the obvious no brainer. Pay for it on debt, let it be the Democrats' problem.
   2635. Hot Wheeling American, MS-13 Enthusiast Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM (#5594397)

There are enthusiasts for everything, including fire alarms.
   2636. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM (#5594399)
I had no idea there were people who are "rail enthusiasts"

Well, there's a movie called Trainspotting, but it's not what you would think.

2637. DavidFoss Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5594402)

It's best not to like anything. That way you can feel above it all.

I hear they are these 'fanatics' who religiously and zealously follow these children's games involving wooden bats and stitched rawhide balls. Who hurt them?
   2638. BrianBrianson Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5594403)

I know a two year old who loses his #### when we take him to the ice cream store instead of the model train club across the street.
   2639. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5594404)

My closest coworkers are from India, born and raised, and they know much more a bout America and American interests than you. Your cultural ignorance is amusing, so I don't criticize it, but I am constantly amazed by it.
   2640. The Yankee Clapper Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM (#5594405)
For those following the long, but eventually failed, effort to criminalize politics in Wisconsin, I recommend this account of the outrages of the Cheesehead Stasi by a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel columnist. An overbroad & illegal investigation, invasion of privacy on a massive scale, illegal leaks, and even withholding evidence, all because folks on the left couldn't accept that they lost an election. Well, I guess it was 3 elections.
   2641. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM (#5594406)

I know a two year old who loses his #### when we take him to the ice cream store instead of the model train club across the street.

Is he named "Sheldon?"
   2642. BrianBrianson Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM (#5594410)
I feel like you'd have to hate your son to name him Sheldon in this environment.
   2643. Swoboda is freedom Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM (#5594411)

Well, there's a movie called Trainspotting, but it's not what you would think.

There was also a movie starring Colin Firth that included a train enthusiast, but it was mostly about his time in World War II. The Railway Man

In The Station Agent, the main character is also a trainspotter.
   2644. dlf Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5594412)
I had no idea there were people who are "rail enthusiasts"

As Jerry Jeff sang,

She's a railroad lady
Just a little bit shady
Spending her days on the train
She's a semi-good looker
The fast rails they took 'er
Now she's tryin', just tryin' to get home again.

South Station on Boston to the stockyards of Austin
From the Florida sunshine to the New Orleans's rain
Now that the rail packs
Has taken the best tracks
She's tryin', just tryin' to get home again.

She's a railroad lady
Just a little bit shady
Spending her life on the trains
Once a pullman car traveler
Now the brakeman won't have 'er
She's tryin', just tryin' to get home again.

Once a high balling loner he thought he could own 'er
He bought her a fur and a big diamond ring
She hocked them for cold cash
Left town on the Wabash
Never thinking of home way back then.

But the rails are now rusty
The dining car's dusty
The gold plated watches have taken their toll
The railroads are dying
And the lady she's crying
On a bus to Kentucky and home that's her goal.

She's a railroad lady
Just a little bit shaky
Spending her life on the train
She's a semi-good looker
But the fast rails the took 'er
Now she' tryin', just tryin' to get home again.
   2645. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM (#5594414)
The only thing, literally, that my house doesn't have that the ex and I had on our wish list for the house we wanted to buy was "near train tracks, or better yet a train yard".

Trains are super cool. I am not a true enthusiast, because I have enough dorky hobbies, but we held several birthdays (for the boys) and took trips to various train places, especially the Jackson Street Roundhouse. Awesome place.

It has been a few years, I should go again. It is especially great when you find a train nerd who works there, you always end up with a tour including of whatever locomotive they are restoring. Their shop is very neat.
   2646. Stormy JE Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5594416)
Given that "conservatism" these days amounts to little more than a weird hybrid of Tancredoism and Kochism, I guess I have to plead guilty once again.
Tancredoism? This must be the first time I've heard his name uttered in many months. Talk about grasping at straws...

Again, you would be performing this hopelessly tired act no matter who was the Republican residing at 1600 -- and yeah, that even includes Kasich.
   2647. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM (#5594420)
There are enthusiasts for everything, including fire alarms.

There are also camel spotters

"What do you do when you spot a camel?"

"I takes its number and put it in the book."

"Camels don't have numbers."

"Oh, well you have to know where to look. It's on the engine just above the piston box."

2648. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5594422)
Speaking of trains, looks like Track's in trouble.

Sarah Palin's son arrested for domestic violence.
   2649. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 12:56 PM (#5594425)
The new thread is up. Hop on board a train and head on over there. All aboard!
   2650. PreservedFish Posted: December 18, 2017 at 01:00 PM (#5594432)
I love trains - there's a great Paul Theroux quote, something like "I've never seen a train and not wanted to be on it." That is much my feeling and when I have more time and money I hope to take some of the great world train trips, the Trans-Siberian, the outback line, etc. Just this weekend I was at the local vintage old-timey train station with my kids, where a group of really enthusiastic volunteers, old machinists and engineers and such, keep alive a couple old steam trains on a few miles of track from a long-defunct line. But I wouldn't call myself a real enthusiast, because most months pass without a thought given towards trains. Just one of a million things I find interesting.

I am also interested in the actual train fanatics - the guys that hide on hillsides and videotape trains and trade their videos - I guess it's all on Youtube now - those guys are clearly nuts.
   2651. Srul Itza Posted: December 18, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5594442)
Alex Kozinski (9th Circuit Court of Appeals) retires immediately amid harassment charges from at least 15 women, while apologizing for "my unusual sense of humor"

His unusual sense of humor was most evident in his rulings.

Good riddance to Bad Rubbish.

[Member of the Bar of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals]

2652. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: December 18, 2017 at 01:14 PM (#5594451)
there's a great Paul Theroux quote,

Riding the Iron Rooster is one of my favorite books.

I hope to take some of the great world train trips, the Trans-Siberian, the outback line, etc.

Me too. I have a germ of an idea for a round the world trip. Fly to London, take a train to St. Petersburg. Trans-Siberian to either Vladivostok or Beijing, fly to the west coast of the US, train home to Miami.
   2653. Srul Itza Posted: December 18, 2017 at 01:22 PM (#5594465)
Rode trains quite a bit in India. Back in the mid-80's, there were still a few steam engines running.
Page 27 of 27 pages ‹ First  < 25 26 27

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.